• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

But it's so pretty.

http://i.imgur.com/ozmK7h.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

Yea I actually went out and bought it from Microcenter to put it on my desk and see if I liked it. I was hoping that I would bring it out and it's too big or the color was whatever.

That was not the case. It's sitting here next to my Antec 300 looking beautiful

A quick question about air flow. I know a case should have positive pressure and such. This has one fan in the front and one in back. Should I add another to the front? Or should I add a top fan and make it intake? That doesn't seem right though

kennah

Cold air in bottom and front, hot air out top and back

But don't worry too much about airflow. it's less a problem than it was in the past. Only add fans if you find your case is running too hot. Power consumption (AND THUS HEAT) is going down.

Go with Windows 8(.1).

Windows 8.1 more overhead? It is faster than Windows 7. Has a few more features with the new task manager and file transfer. It will be updated for longer and you'll be able to get the latest DirectX when it comes out.

And the current DirectX 11 runs more efficiently in Windows 8

If these are true, and it hardly matters if they are, that doesn't translate to better performance in games. Meaning there is no point. Saying 8 is faster than 7 is a completely nebulous and perfunctory statement. It says nothing. Faster in what? Opening Chrome, running games? Nope. Apps? Worthless. 1 second faster compression and faster boot times are what you get, unless you have a SSD then they are so close as to not matter again. That's the problem with Windows 8, it isn't bad, it just isn't a significant enough upgrade to care about.

Task manager is functional in 7 and you can download a third-party version if you want it to be more in depth. Dragging and dropping one file into another hasn't needed to change since Windows 95. Windows 8 being upgraded longer is completely irrelevant. By the time 7 stops getting updated something newer than 8 will already be out. No less than three major OS's released before XP stopped getting patched. The new Direct X isn't out so it, like Windows 8, doesn't matter.

More overhead doesn't necessarily mean slower. Windows 8 has a big problem, the new things it brought to the table are either so miniscule as to not matter, or best turned off or bypassed completely on a desktop PC. Leaving you with Windows 7-2 The Return: Sorry we removed the Start button. In turn, Windows 8 can safely be bypassed and/or ignored without anything being lost.

In short, buy whichever OS is cheapest.

Bii

Yea I actually went out and bought it from Microcenter to put it on my desk and see if I liked it. I was hoping that I would bring it out and it's too big or the color was whatever.

That was not the case. It's sitting here next to my Antec 300 looking beautiful

A quick question about air flow. I know a case should have positive pressure and such. This has one fan in the front and one in back. Should I add another to the front? Or should I add a top fan and make it intake? That doesn't seem right though

I bought a Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition fan and placed it in the back. I moved the one that was originally in the back to the front of the case. Two front, one back.

Reposting my pic:
13120293945_fa426a3df9_b.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
That is beautiful.

If that's yours, will you take off the front panel and show us the fan goodies?
Sold that one awhile back to a GAFer.

Moved both stock fans to the front. Spectre Pro 120mm on the Corsair H60 and one more for exhaust out of the top.

The thing ran silent, and that 7970 stayed cool without a problem. It was actually more quiet than the watercooled rig I had at the time. Not as much as my current, though.

Ashhong

I bought a Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition fan and placed it in the back. I moved the one that was originally in the back to the front of the case. Two front, one back.

Reposting my pic:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/13120293945_fa426a3df9_b.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Damn you guys and your nice interior. Look at that color match! Hope mine looks decent with the gold ASUS motherboard and yellow Crucial memory sticks

Hey everyone. I'd really appreciate some help with building a desktop. This is gonna be my first time so guidance would be much appreciated.

Current Specs:
Just know its a crappy laptop and anything better is fine.

Budget: Price Range
$1000 America

Main Use: Rate 1-5
4/5 - I'm using this desktop for music production and gaming/livestreaming.

Monitor Resolution:
1920-1080 and I already have an ASUS 23in monitor that I love.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
Dota 2, livestreaming applications (OBS I think), music production software (Logic Abelton maybe)

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?

I'd like to order everything by next friday.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)
No.

Other thoughts: I also thought about getting one of the 900-975$ builds from that spreadsheet but if anyone has a better idea for me that would be great.

thespot84

Recommend a gaming laptop? (Is this the right thread or is there a laptop thread?)

Budget is around 2k. I'm currently thinking about the new MSI Ghost or the "New" Razer Blade 14. I would prefer to stay around a 14 inch screen since that will help with battery life a bit. The New Razer Blade has the higher resolution screen compared to the regular iteration. Worried about heat, though.

Touch screen is a must since I'm sure Win 8 will be on whatever I get.

Basically I like the portability and power behind the MSI Ghost and the New Razer Blade 14 and both are also stylish looking devices.

I plan on playing games like EU4, Civ V, Stick of Truth, maybe Skyrim, etc. I don't need to or plan on playing Metro LL or Bioshock Infinite at 1080 maxed out or anything.

I'll have my work laptop with me as well, but it's an older Dell with a dedicated GPU. It's just big and bulky, heavy, etc, and is a hassle to use in cramped spaces like airplanes.

Considering the decent performance of the Intel Iris hardware if Apple gets off their butts and announces a new MacBook I'd even consider that if that's not too crazy an idea.

Thoughts?

Monitor Resolution:
1920-1080

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
Civ V, EU4, Stick of Truth, Skyrim but being able to play some 2014 games on low/med settings would also be nice.

Do you have a deadline?

Sept 2014

If the consensus is that I should wait a few months before making a decision, I'm fine with that.

apart from a touch screen the lenovo y series w/sli might meet your needs. 1080 might be hard to find in a 14" though touch screens do sometimes come in crazy high resolutions.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
My WD Black died after 1 year and a half. Took down my OS and most of my games. Thankfully nothing too important.. I think. I;ll try reviving it down the road but right now I want to get my PC running and I want to finally get an SSD for it.

Which one should I get? Are Samsung 840 EVOs stil top of the line? I also need another HDD for big files and holding my games, so.. if anyone could recommend me one that won't falter in less than 2 yearsplease let me know :p
FUN FACT! That PC has a 7 year old Hitachi HDD that is still alive and kicking.
My Specs:
GTX670
16GB DDR3

Omega

Banned
Should I build a new PC now or wait another year and see if seemingly poor optimizations are going to be frequent?

While I was banned I saw threads about how Watch_Dogs and some other game had some stupidly high recommended settings.

I don't care that much about resolutions and photo realistic foliage so I was thinking of sticking with my current build for a little while longer, not sure how that's going to hold up though.

I have a 7870 2GB and i5 3350. The way some of those recommended and even minimum requirements were looking, looks like those won't be doing the job in a year or two

diaspora

Should I build a new PC now or wait another year and see if seemingly poor optimizations are going to be frequent?

While I was banned I saw threads about how Watch_Dogs and some other game had some stupidly high recommended settings.

I don't care that much about resolutions and photo realistic foliage so I was thinking of sticking with my current build for a little while longer, not sure how that's going to hold up though.

I have a 7870 2GB and i5 3350. The way some of those recommended and even minimum requirements were looking, looks like those won't be doing the job in a year or two

Your i5 will last you the generation probably. The 7870 will need to be upgraded due to VRAM constrictions eventually but I think you've got more time than what you might think.

Akai__

How do you guys make the cable management look so easy and perfect? I spent hours trying to make it look good in my Shinobi XL (I'm starting to hate this case), but it looks pretty bad.

Edit:

A good cable-manageable case, and MODULAR PSUs lol.

I have both. :(

BIGWORM

How do you guys make the cable management look so easy and perfect? I spent hours trying to make it look good in my Shinobi XL (I'm starting to hate this case), but it looks pretty bad.

A good cable-manageable case, and MODULAR PSUs lol.

LilJoka

Edit:

Just takes time and experience, usually after routing cables around, soon you'll think of a more creative way to do it.
My latest case doesn't even have cable management behind the mobo and still looks great. Took couple of hours from an experienced builder to get it right though, to start with it was pretty awful.

Firebrand

Is the WD Blue supposed to be fairly audible the entire time it's powered up? So far I havent moved any data to the new machine so it's usually idle, but when it powers up on first access it's louder than my fans, and louder than the actual noises it makes when accessing data. It's like a constant humming sound.

Maybe I haven't thought about mechanical drives making noise other than the usual "crunching" sound on read/writes, dunno.

Zeus7

I am experiencing a sort of lag issue when moving applications around on screen with my mouse. If, for example, I have two applications on screen at the same time (not full screen) if I move the one at the front around I can see where I have moved it, it is lagging and causing it to replicate and then disappear. I have no graphics card in at the moment as it was RMA'd and awaiting replacement. Everything is running great however and having an SSD is such a welcome change I wish I had one years ago! I hope that explains what I am meaning.

Bii

Edit:

I'm curious to see what yours look like. Mind posting a pic?

MegaPanda

Anyone know if it's a good/bad idea for airflow to put two fans on the front like this? I had no 5.25"s to attach so I used that space to put an extra fan instead.

tw9LGGm.jpg

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I need illumination...

Are Samsung 840 Evo Pro still top of the line or are there better options now? Need to buy one ASAP

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have experience with this headphone?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWUHHYE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My friend recommended them to me and he said the sound quality beats many $250 headsets. I find that hard to believe but yea, I'd like some opinions. He said they were better than what's recommended in the op's post Superlux HD668B too. Anyone have any experience with this brand?
I have the 668B's I bought for testing purposes. I don't know how the ergonomics would compare, but I could not wear these for extended periods. The 681s do look more comfy though.

In terms of sound, they're great. No fucking way they compare to $250 cans, but they're good. Maybe he meant the overpriced crappy $250 headsets like Astros and the like....
WHAT

That case was a total breeze to do cable management in. Couple revisions of mine:

That last one is with 8 fans, a pump, three LED strips, 2 twin tailed LEDs and three GPUs on top of all the standard stuff. C'mon now.

Zip ties, lots and lots of zip ties. There's a stupid amount of room on the back panel. Use all of it, especially the room on the back side of the 5.25" bay enclosure.
I need illumination...

Are Samsung 840 Evo Pro still top of the line or are there better options now? Need to buy one ASAP
Unless this is for enterprise, look at: Crucial M500, Samsung 840 Evo AND Pro, Crucial M6, any Plextor drives, Kingston HyperX, Kingston V300, loads of others. Buy whatever is cheapest. They're all stupid fast, and they're all stupid reliable. Like 10-80 years reliable.

Bleepey

Did you try the PID Checker i posted to verify the key?

There are also keys on mydigitallife forum that will let you install Windows 8 albeit be deactivated. Atleast you have some sort of usable PC in the meantime.

Oh not yet. I got home to late. You seriously don't understand how shit this PC is. Linux on my rig, from on button to browser is like 10 seconds. Can I use one of those keys to download the iso, install the iso on my new rig, and then put in a proper key.

molnizzle

So. What are the best practices these days regarding IQ settings?

- AA
- AF
- VSync
- etc.

Force via GPU or use the in-game options? I have a 750 Ti.

For triple buffering, is nVidia Inspector sufficient or should I still download D3D Overrider?

Oh and is Fraps still the best method for checking frame rate?

New PC... it's been a while. 😅

If you are going to buy nowish, atleast wait for the Haswell refresh in mid May.

But if you decide to wait, it depends on what you have now.

Not very good at all, 2nd gen i5 non k and an HD 5670. Not only is it super loud but it struggles at medium settings. Right now I'm eying the i5 4670k, will haswell refresh bring a new k processor to the market?

Oxn

Not very good at all, 2nd gen i5 non k and an HD 5670. Not only is it super loud but it struggles at medium settings. Right now I'm eying the i5 4670k, will haswell refresh bring a new k processor to the market?

Just get a new GPU, even a non K 2nd gen i5 is fine.

Depending on what you want to spend get a 770 GTX for 300-350, or a 780 for 500.

Akai__

I'm curious to see what yours look like. Mind posting a pic?

Here you go.

It doesn't look much different, today.

WHAT

That case was a total breeze to do cable management in. Couple revisions of mine:

I know! You were the one, who recommended me the case, because I wanted to do water cooling with it.
Don't know, if you remember, but I planned on getting orange liquid with orange fans etc.
I'm hating it, because I had to drop that plan and now it's just a huge case, which feels pretty empty.

Kiru

My WD Black died after 1 year and a half. Took down my OS and most of my games. Thankfully nothing too important.. I think. I;ll try reviving it down the road but right now I want to get my PC running and I want to finally get an SSD for it.

Which one should I get? Are Samsung 840 EVOs stil top of the line? I also need another HDD for big files and holding my games, so.. if anyone could recommend me one that won't falter in less than 2 yearsplease let me know :p
FUN FACT! That PC has a 7 year old Hitachi HDD that is still alive and kicking.
My Specs:
GTX670
16GB DDR3
Why don't you RMA the faulty drive? WD is pretty good in that regard. Black Drives also have 5 years warranty I think.

Just get a new GPU, even a non K 2nd gen i5 is fine.

Depending on what you want to spend get a 770 GTX for 300-350, or a 780 for 500.

Definitely getting a new GPU, just wondering though, what kind of performance gains would I get from upgrading to a 4670k at like say 4.4Ghz?

Anyone have experience with this headphone?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BWUHHYE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

My friend recommended them to me and he said the sound quality beats many $250 headsets. I find that hard to believe but yea, I'd like some opinions. He said they were better than what's recommended in the op's post Superlux HD668B too. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

They're good. Big, comfortable after they loosen a bit (~week), sound good for gaming, nice for music also. Better amped.

I am experiencing a sort of lag issue when moving applications around on screen with my mouse. If, for example, I have two applications on screen at the same time (not full screen) if I move the one at the front around I can see where I have moved it, it is lagging and causing it to replicate and then disappear. I have no graphics card in at the moment as it was RMA'd and awaiting replacement. Everything is running great however and having an SSD is such a welcome change I wish I had one years ago! I hope that explains what I am meaning.

Sounds like you don't have graphics acceleration. Install the drivers for your integrated graphics.

What are some good (reputable) sites for hardware news and reviews, particularly PC stuff?

I'd like to expand my browsing a bit but been out of touch with the PC hardware side for years.

mkenyon

Banned
What are some good (reputable) sites for hardware news and reviews, particularly PC stuff?

I'd like to expand my browsing a bit but been out of touch with the PC hardware side for years.
Actual performance, good writing, and top notch methodology: TechReport and PCPerspective. Literally, those are the only two you need. Everything else is way below their standards.

More in depth, for PSUs: JohnnyGuru and Overclock3d. For cases/cooling: Overclock3d, HardwareCanucks, and Martin's Liquid Lab.
I'd say http://techreport.com/ and http://www.anandtech.com/ are the most reputable English-language sites for general HW reviews. And http://www.realworldtech.com/ if you actually want to know how stuff works ;)
Anand is too hot and cold for me to suggest anything. I've had it out with a couple of their writers who more or less said "but doing things right takes too much time". I'd say they're great for features, and generally worthless for reviews.
Definitely getting a new GPU, just wondering though, what kind of performance gains would I get from upgrading to a 4670k at like say 4.4Ghz?

http://imgur.com/a/VxaHl

Linear gains in games where CPU matters. Skyrim, Source, any online MP game, Civ, UE3 games.

Josman

Quick question: is there a big difference between the i5 4440 and the 4670k? The price difference is big here, Keep in mind that I'm gonna deal with integrated graphics for 3-4 months before I get a gtx 760 :/

kennah

Quick question: is there a big difference between the i5 4440 and the 4670k? The price difference is big here, Keep in mind that I'm gonna deal with integrated graphics for 3-4 months before I get a gtx 760 :/

Huge. the 4670K can be over clocked with a Z87 motherboard, giving an extra 600-1ghz of speed for the cost of an aftermarket heat sink and fan ($30-50)

Josman

Huge. the 4670K can be over clocked with a Z87 motherboard, giving an extra 600-1ghz of speed for the cost of an aftermarket heat sink and fan ($30-50)

I see.. I'm asking this because i can get 2 different bundles:

1.- Z87 + 4gb RAM + i5 4440 for $400
2.- Z87 + 8Gb RAM + i5 4670k for $500

It's the cheapest I'll ever find them in México, a $100 difference is a lot, I could use them to get a good case that's why I was wondering if it was worth it

Ashhong

Quick question, how is the fan controller on the R4 supposed to control all of my fans? I plan to add an additional fan to the front to have 3 fans total. If I'm not mistaken, my fans will plug into the motherboard right? And then does the fan speed switch on the R4 also plug into a spot on the motherboard reserved for a fan switch or what?

I see.. I'm asking this because i can get 2 different bundles:

1.- Z87 + 4gb RAM + i5 4440 for $400
2.- Z87 + 8Gb RAM + i5 4670k for $500

It's the cheapest I'll ever find them in México, a $100 difference is a lot, I could use them to get a good case that's why I was wondering if it was worth it

$100 for an upgraded processor and double the RAM seems good to me, but I'm no expert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom