• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
W8 (8.1 specifically) is great. Absolutely use it if you're building a new system. I'm not convinced it's worth spending the money just to upgrade from W7, but for new systems, no reason to stick to W7 at this point.

Reddit key swap is amazing. $10 for Windows 8.

Bleepey

I try to install it and it keeps saying it's not a valid product key. My PC is so slow it's tortorous to do anything on it. 1gb of ram +vista ain't fun.

Reddit key swap is amazing. $10 for Windows 8.

I know, I got my key there for $15 a few weeks back, but I'm still not sure I'd spend the extra money to upgrade personally. I would absolutely get W8 (as I did a few weeks ago) when my main drive died and I needed to replace my one-time use W7 key anyway.

LilJoka

I try to install it and it keeps saying it's not a valid product key. My PC is so slow it's tortorous to do anything on it. 1gb of ram +vista ain't fun.

Did you try the PID Checker i posted to verify the key?

There are also keys on mydigitallife forum that will let you install Windows 8 albeit be deactivated. Atleast you have some sort of usable PC in the meantime.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys,

Any recommendations for a $700 build? I'm really needing to upgrade soon as the PC I'm using currently was built on a budget back in 2008 (and I'm still using Windows XP).

Anyway, I already have everything I need except the tower (i.e. monitor, OS, m/kb). I'm going to be mainly using the computer for gaming, but also some school related work. One thing I'd really like to have is an option to upgrade the tower in the future so I could run the Witcher 3 for example. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!
Check out the OP.

I still prefer 7.

Seconded. If you are comfortable with 7, stick with it. There is no reason to upgrade and no reason to jump through hoops and/or mess with settings when 7 is great right out of the box. Once you've disabled 8's defining feature, which everyone is going to recommend doing, you essentially have Windows 7 anyway. Just with more overhead. What's the point? 8 is worthless.

scogoth

Wow 337.50 is terrible, I've never had this much issue installing a driver. I've tried upgrade install, clean install, uninstall everything then clean install, removing second GPU and repeat all the steps above. It just will not under any circumstances install correctly, it just hangs at a black screen until I force a restart. I am very disappointed NVIDIA

What's the consensus on OS? Stay away from Windows 8 or what?

Go with Windows 8(.1).

Seconded. If you are comfortable with 7, stick with it. There is no reason to upgrade and no reason to jump through hoops and/or mess with settings when 7 is great right out of the box. Once you've disabled 8's defining feature, which everyone is going to recommend doing, you essentially have Windows 7 anyway. Just with more overhead. What's the point? 8 is worthless.

Windows 8.1 more overhead? It is faster than Windows 7. Has a few more features with the new task manager and file transfer. It will be updated for longer and you'll be able to get the latest DirectX when it comes out.

scogoth

Go with Windows 8(.1).

Windows 8.1 more overhead? It is faster than Windows 7. Has a few more features with the new task manager and file transfer. It will be updated for longer and you'll be able to get the latest DirectX when it comes out.

And the current DirectX 11 runs more efficiently in Windows 8

Damn, sorry guys.

Current Specs:
CPU AMD|A64 X2 5000+ 2.6G
3GB Ram
250GB HD
MB - ASUS|M2A-VM HDMI AMD 690G
GPU - Radeon HD 4770 512MB 128-Bit
500 Watt PSU

Budget: Price Range
$700 American

Main Use: Rate 1-5
4/5 - I'm mostly going to use this computer for gaming and some school related work including Microsoft Word and Excel and general web browsing.

Monitor Resolution:
1920-1080 is the maximum resolution for my monitor so probably that. I just bought the monitor probably about six months ago so I don't plan on buying another one for this. It's a Asus 24" 248H-P.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
I already have a good M/KB, an OS, and a monitor, so I just need a strong tower. It must have the ability to play current games like BioShock: Infinite, Red Orchestra, and some new MMOs at 60FPS. I'd also love the ability to upgrade it at a later time so I can play games like the Witcher 3.

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?

I'd like to order everything by next friday. I'm using XP so it's kind of important that I get this done soon.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)
No.

Other thoughts: I built my current computer on a budget back in 2008, what kind of performance gains can I expect with my current budget? Will it be pretty noticeable?

Thanks for the help, guys.

.........Unless you actually, uh, want to try or even like Metro god forbid.

I'm gonna be pretty sad if W9 doesn't have Metro. Windows finally has a nice little ecosystem, and I enjoy running media apps in metro vs using a browser.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
What's the consensus on OS? Stay away from Windows 8 or what?

go for windows 8. install startisback if you want a classic start menu.

metro is great for streaming to tablets and for tvs.

win 8 also boots a lot faster and has a lot of other improvements.

mkenyon

Banned
Damn, sorry guys.

Current Specs:
3GB Ram
250GB HD
500 Watt PSU

$700 American

4/5 - I'm mostly going to use this computer for gaming and some school related work including Microsoft Word and Excel and general web browsing.

Monitor Resolution:
1920-1080 is the maximum resolution for my monitor so probably that. I just bought the monitor probably about six months ago so I don't plan on buying another one for this. It's a Asus 24" 248H-P.

I already have a good M/KB, an OS, and a monitor, so I just need a strong tower. It must have the ability to play current games like BioShock: Infinite, Red Orchestra, and some new MMOs at 60FPS. I'd also love the ability to upgrade it at a later time so I can play games like the Witcher 3.

I'd like to order everything by next friday. I'm using XP so it's kind of important that I get this done soon.

No.

Other thoughts: I built my current computer on a budget back in 2008, what kind of performance gains can I expect with my current budget? Will it be pretty noticeable?

You're at a weird place, because it's right between a standard i3 budget build, and a solid 4670K OC'd machine with a lot of room to grow. MMOs and Bioshock Infinite will very much appreciate an overclocked processor, as they're very much dependent upon per-thread performance.

That being said, you'll still have a very appreciable gain going with the "Good" build in the OP with an upgraded video card.

I'd really push towards saving up that extra little bit to go for the "Great" build, but if too painful on the budget, go for the "Good" build, upgrade the processor to an i5 4430, and then the best possible GPU you can with the rest (750 Ti or 760 would be great).

kharma45

Damn, sorry guys.

Current Specs:
3GB Ram
250GB HD
500 Watt PSU

$700 American

Monitor Resolution:

No.

MMOs are CPU bound so you'll want to think about overclocking

This build goes just slightly over budget but it's worth it IMO, and I hope others here would agree. It's all good quality stuff. You could save $10 by getting a VP-450 for the PSU if you're really strict on the budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($116.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Club 3D Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $713.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-10 13:40 EDT-0400)

PS if you live near a Microcenter you can make good savings on the CPU and mobo

Recommend a gaming laptop? (Is this the right thread or is there a laptop thread?)

Budget is around 2k. I'm currently thinking about the new MSI Ghost or the "New" Razer Blade 14. I would prefer to stay around a 14 inch screen since that will help with battery life a bit. The New Razer Blade has the higher resolution screen compared to the regular iteration. Worried about heat, though.

Touch screen is a must since I'm sure Win 8 will be on whatever I get.

Basically I like the portability and power behind the MSI Ghost and the New Razer Blade 14 and both are also stylish looking devices.

I plan on playing games like EU4, Civ V, Stick of Truth, maybe Skyrim, etc. I don't need to or plan on playing Metro LL or Bioshock Infinite at 1080 maxed out or anything.

I'll have my work laptop with me as well, but it's an older Dell with a dedicated GPU. It's just big and bulky, heavy, etc, and is a hassle to use in cramped spaces like airplanes.

Considering the decent performance of the Intel Iris hardware if Apple gets off their butts and announces a new MacBook I'd even consider that if that's not too crazy an idea.

Thoughts?

Monitor Resolution:
1920-1080

Civ V, EU4, Stick of Truth, Skyrim but being able to play some 2014 games on low/med settings would also be nice.

Do you have a deadline?

Sept 2014

If the consensus is that I should wait a few months before making a decision, I'm fine with that.

Is AMD going to release any CPUs this year? Intel really needs some competition. I'm kinda tired of seeing the prices of their CPUs. I guess AMD just decided to give up and focus on APUs.

cory64

Is AMD going to release any CPUs this year? Intel really needs some competition. I'm kinda tired of seeing the prices of their CPUs. I guess AMD just decided to give up and focus on APUs.

Nope, just APUs.

PXJ5tQV.jpg

kharma45

Doubtful. We'll see new Athlon's (Kaveri APUs sans the GPU) released but bar that I expect to see nothing else from them at this stage.

You're at a weird place, because it's right between a standard i3 budget build, and a solid 4670K OC'd machine with a lot of room to grow. MMOs and Bioshock Infinite will very much appreciate an overclocked processor, as they're very much dependent upon per-thread performance.

That being said, you'll still have a very appreciable gain going with the "Good" build in the OP with an upgraded video card.

I'd really push towards saving up that extra little bit to go for the "Great" build, but if too painful on the budget, go for the "Good" build, upgrade the processor to an i5 4430, and then the best possible GPU you can with the rest (750 Ti or 760 would be great).
Yeah, I'd love to get the "great" build but my budget is pretty tight, unfortunately. I might be able to bump it up to $750 by next friday. In that case, is the 760 worth the extra money? Do I need to upgrade the PSU to support it?

MMOs are CPU bound so you'll want to think about overclocking

This build goes just slightly over budget but it's worth it IMO, and I hope others here would agree. It's all good quality stuff. You could save $10 by getting a VP-450 for the PSU if you're really strict on the budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($116.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Club 3D Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $713.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-10 13:40 EDT-0400)

PS if you live near a Microcenter you can make good savings on the CPU and mobo

I know this is a dumb question, but is there a difference in the ram being one stick at 8gb vs the 2x4 that I see a lot of? Also, if I'm able to bring my budget up to $750, is there anything that I could marginally upgrade that would pay off?

Thanks for the help.

kharma45

Yeah, I'd love to get the "great" build but my budget is pretty tight, unfortunately. I might be able to bump it up to $750 by next friday. In that case, is the 760 worth the extra money? Do I need to upgrade the PSU to support it?

I know this is a dumb question, but is there a difference in the ram being one stick at 8gb vs the 2x4 that I see a lot of? Also, if I'm able to bring my budget up to $750, is there anything that I could marginally upgrade that would pay off?

Thanks for the help.

760 is around 20% quicker than what I've suggested. It's a great card, but the R9 270 I also like too. It's good bang for buck. PSU wise you can run any GPU on a 500w unit like the EVGA I've posted.

RAM wise you might lose a few percent in performance. It's pretty negligible in the real world.

If you brought your budget up to $750 I'd probably look at dual channel RAM and a 760. I'm on my phone now but they should be attainable for that.

knitoe

Thanks for the help.

Ram runs dual(most common) or triple channel. Thus, you want 2 or 3 sticks of ram otherwise you would be running at 1/2 or 1/3 of the possible memory bandwidth.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know if my GTX 480 will be able to max out Dark Souls 2?

R9 270X a worthy upgrade from a 660GTX? Main game played is BF4.

Yes, if Mantle is working properly on the 270X (I'm not sure if it is), then it's potentially massive depending on what CPU you have.

For other games it'll be very slight, about 10% in general. Bigger in games that favor AMD and smaller or nonexistent in games that favor Nvidia. This is against the reference cards. It's not a real big upgrade overall imo.

To be clear, this isn't a 660Ti correct?

aka_bueno

I'm really getting the itch to sell my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina (base model), I could probably get $1200 easily for it.

And use that to build a small form factor PC around the Silverstone Raven RVZ01B case. I used to build mid-full sized towers and all that jazz, but no more monster sized rigs for me. I appreciate small form factors, like Steam Machine (console-like) sized boxes.

I could probably build a nice mid-range system for around $1000, if I scale back on the GPU (thinking an Nvidia 660GTX would be enough for the games I plan on playing). I mainly just want to play Blizzard games at native 1080p (my monitor's res) with everything max'd out including AA, and not ever drop under 60fps. Diablo 3, Heroes of the Storm (whenever it comes out), Hearthstone (not a prob) and eventually WoW again when the new expansion hits.

The thing is I would use it for work as well, and I really loved using OSX so I'll miss that a bit. But more of a PITA, would be selling my MBPr. eBay out of the question cause of fees and the wait time for paypal funds to release, then transfer. I guess that would leave Craigslist but I feel uncomfortable selling something for so much through that lol.

Have any of you guys sold PC/Macs on CL before, thoughts?

mug

Yes, if Mantle is working properly on the 270X (I'm not sure if it is), then it's potentially massive depending on what CPU you have.

For other games it'll be very slight, about 10% in general. Bigger in games that favor AMD and smaller or nonexistent in games that favor Nvidia. This is against the reference cards. It's not a real big upgrade overall imo.

To be clear, this isn't a 660Ti correct?
Correct, it's the eVGA 660 with reference cooler.

2San

270x is barely an upgrade compared to the GTX660. It's a complete waste of money. Unless you can trade it or something.

270x is barely an upgrade compared to the GTX660. It's a complete waste of money. Unless you can trade it or something.

I agree.

Correct, it's the eVGA 660 with reference cooler.

I see. Well, there's a couple of 270X Hawks for 200 dollars on Amazon right now; one refurbished and one new. It's the best 270X model imo. Should be noticeably faster than the 660 you have.

To be honest though I'd at least go for a 760 or 280 non-X which will be about 30% faster than the 660.

mug

I see. Well, there's a couple of 270X Hawks for 200 dollars on Amazon right now; one refurbished and one new. It's the best 270X model imo. Should be noticeably faster than the 660 you have.

To be honest though I'd at least go for a 760 or 280 non-X which will be about 30% faster than the 660.
Thanks for the advice!

Oh boy, for those with a gigabyte board do not try to update the bios with the @BIOS utility. I think I managed to brick the new board I got from frys using it. Its also impossible to get it to invoke the dual bios to fresh it and even when I did that, board wouldnt come up.

Most people suggest not touching the @BIOS app or using QFLASH. I mean, I wasnt going to update the bios at all but their website claims the F2 revision of the board I had z87x-HD3 had an update so theres that.

I got stuck in a loop where it would flash a screen black, reboot, no signal to monitor, over an dover again. If i mashed the del key it would take me to the bios that showed F2 was loaded but nothing. I even managed to reload windows7 but once i restarted once everything went down the tubes again (and this was with the backup bios reloaded!). Before that, everything was working fine, etc. Im going to have Frys swap the board, or get a different brand, and see if all my stuff works fine. Oh boy. I know my other HW is fine, considering i threw my old mobo back in my case, with my power supply and video card, reloaded windows and its all good.

what a nightmare! sorry for the rambling post :)

I just used @BIOS to update my board this morning and it went fine. I guess YMMV? It rebooted a few times after the update was applied but after that it was fine.

yatesl

When did NewEgg start shipping to the UK?

And how are they for deals? I watch their videos quite a bit (after learning how to build a PC from their big one), and they get mentioned a lot on here.

Edit: £40 delivery for a monitor? I thought they had a UK warehouse now. Never mind...

Bii

Living with a case you don't like is harder.

This.

I paid retail price ($119.99+taxes) for my windowed white R4 even though I could have gotten a titanium windowed R4 for $20 less at the time of my purchase. I'm satisfied with mine and don't feel any regrets in getting what I wanted.

I just used @BIOS to update my board this morning and it went fine. I guess YMMV? It rebooted a few times after the update was applied but after that it was fine.

Yeah, i think my main mistake was using the 'online' download and not a source file from my saved desktop. Did you stream it down or did you download it?

FWIW, i just returned the board no questions asked and got an ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
That is beautiful.

If that's yours, will you take off the front panel and show us the fan goodies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom