• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for some stupid reason I decided to update bios to F9 (Z87X-UD3H); stability is shit; there is a weird USB issue where the mouse cuts out every now and then (though it seems to have mysteriously gone away for now.) The settings I was using previously (OC) are now too high and give me the CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error after 5 seconds of OCCT tests. I didn't plan on doing this tonight but now I'm forced to.

My question is, is there ANY WAY to revert back to the previously stable F8 bios?

Dunbar

I'm getting ready to build my first PC since 2008, and I had a few questions. My budget is around $1,000-$1,500. Is that going to be enough to build something that could live stream over Twitch, or do you need a much better machine for that? Second, I haven't started looking at specific parts yet, but are there any big planned upgrades/releases that I should wait for? Like, if there are major new chip or video card lines planned for the next 4-6 months, I'd prefer to just wait and get those. Otherwise, I'll start looking and build something now.

Thanks.

NoRéN;107748348 said:
This is what scares me about updating the bios on my gigabyte motherboard.

At this point I'd say if you aren't having any issues then don't even bother. I was having no issues at all, yet I updated because it said "IMPROVED OVERCLOCKING CAPABILITY".

Well, it's worse because I can't even be stable at my previous settings. I found this program FPT, someone made a bootable of it for Z87, and I'm considering using that to reflash my bios.bin (thank god I did that).

Skyzard

Banned
Going from:
Intel 2.8ghz q9550 at 3.4
AMD 4870x2 - (out of order for over a year now - no rig)
2x4GB DDR2
10 000 RPM Raptor drive
Asus Maximus Mobo

To:
Intel Core i7 4770K
Gigabyte 780 GTX 954MHz 3GB
G Skill 2x 8GB PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz Gaming Memory Kit
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5-inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
+
Seagate Barracuda 3.5 inch 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB 6GB/S Internal SATA Drive
MSI Z87-GD65-GAMING ATX Motherboard
Corsair Hydro Series H100i All-In-One 240mm Digital High Performance Rad Liquid Cooler

Relied mostly on a friend's recent build. Everything checks out?

Edit: I'd like:
-16xx//1920 resolution (min//max)
-60fps with most games looking smooth, any ideas how I'd cope with projectCars(sp?)?

shit I bought a 2.5inch SSD, guess I need an adapter?

what's wrong with this one ? assuming I don't want to build my own.

I'm not one of the local gurus, but probably because you could build this for about the same price... or pay someone to build it for you. The CPU is unlocked so you can overclock and the video card is much faster. OEM motherboards are usually bottom of the barrel, same with PSUs, at least that's what GAF tells me. :) You could drop down to an i5 and overclock too to save around $100, or use that $100 to buy an SSD.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3pG5S
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3pG5S/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3pG5S/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($192.90 @ OutletPC)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($53.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($55.25 @ Newegg)
Total: $936.07
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-10 21:19 EDT-0400)

Edit: May need a bigger PSU... dunno...

appaws

Banned
So I have a AMD Phenom II X4 965 CPU and a Asus GTX 460 1GB GPU.
Should I upgrade to a Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB or to a FX-8350 first?

Definetly do the GPU first. No question.

I'm getting ready to build my first PC since 2008, and I had a few questions. My budget is around $1,000-$1,500. Is that going to be enough to build something that could live stream over Twitch, or do you need a much better machine for that? Second, I haven't started looking at specific parts yet, but are there any big planned upgrades/releases that I should wait for? Like, if there are major new chip or video card lines planned for the next 4-6 months, I'd prefer to just wait and get those. Otherwise, I'll start looking and build something now.

Thanks.

New Haswell parts coming in May. Will probably be not a huge increase in performance, but hopefully some increase in OC potential with Devil's Canyon, etc.

I don't know anything about live streaming, so I'll leave that for someone else.

I never really advise waiting. PCs are easy to upgrade and there are too many good games to play to wait 4-6 months for anything. Just do it.

Ashhong

Isn't the Haswell refresh going to be a good bit more expneisve? I hope so because I would have waited otherwise...

Will a Bronze Corsair 430w be enough for an overclocked 4670K, SSD, HDD, OC R7 265 and 3 fans?

BIGWORM

Isn't the Haswell refresh going to be a good bit more expneisve? I hope so because I would have waited otherwise...

Will a Bronze Corsair 430w be enough for an overclocked 4670K, SSD, HDD, OC R7 265 and 3 fans?

I think that's BARELY going to eek through. I would go no less than a 600w.

kennah

It will cost almost exactly the same, but be maybe 10% difference in performance. CPU performance hasn't changed much since 2011.

It's enough. But a better PSU would be recommended certainly. I run a 670 and over clocked 2600K on a Bronze 450W SFX.

appaws

Banned

The new stuff from Intel is going to be interesting. The new Pentium might be nice for low-end gaming systems. I am really curious if "Devil's Canyon" is going to bring us back to Sandy Bridge type of overclocking gains. Ivy and Haswell (current) have both been pretty limited in that area.

Ashhong

Ok good to know.

It will cost almost exactly the same, but be maybe 10% difference in performance. CPU performance hasn't changed much since 2011.

It's enough. But a better PSU would be recommended certainly. I run a 670 and over clocked 2600K on a Bronze 450W SFX.

Aw man...oh well, the price you pay when buying tech

Well DualBIOS saved my fucking ass; totally forgot about said feature and it was easy as pie to restore to factory default, then load my backed up bios (thank god I did that!)

Running smooth again. Beware of BIOS updates is all I'll say. Especially for Gigabyte. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Pulled the trigger on a 256 840 PRO. Hope it blows me away. Also a 1tb Seagate for files and games.

Gotta try and revive the WDBlack that died though. Had quite a few files there.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd feel more than comfortable running that on a <500W

The OC 265 is going to be the main culprit, don't run FURMARK and keep it stock volts and you'll be fine.

I'd feel more than comfortable running that on a <500W

The OC 265 is going to be the main culprit, don't run FURMARK and keep it stock volts and you'll be fine.

A lot of people don't realize it is more about the quality of the psu than the wattage. I ran an 6970 2GB OC'd, a i5 2500k, 2 HDDs, an SSD, Corsair H60, and a disk drive all on a good quality 500watt psu without a hitch. Switched to a ASUS 760 DCUII OC and still runs perfectly. Even at full load I only read about 380 watts max (I know I'm cutting it close I plan to upgrade soon especially now that I'm OCing my CPU) on my Kilowatt, 80+ gold ftw.

Azriell

I've been using a Logitech 510 mouse for awhile now. I like the shape, and it was my first 5 button mouse. However, tonight m1 decided to stop working so I'm in the market for a new mouse. I own a Razer Naga (12 button), but I I quit playing MMOs right after I got it and I dislike the forwrad/back buttons for general use, and I find it pretty unusable for FPS. I'm thinking about picking up a Razer Hex Naga (or another mouse with similar layout), but I'm curious how people who have used one feel about the side buttons. I'm wondering how easy it is to find the right buttons (I tried using the Naga with FPS, where I like to bind crouch and grenades to the side keys, but I found it pretty difficult to consistently hit the right keys in a pinch). I noticed the forward/back are in the same position on the Hex as the regular Naga, but I figure I'll either learn to live with it or remap it.

I'd also like to know if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced mouse that has more than two side buttons. And, with any reply I'd like to know about clicking the scroll wheel, which is rather inconsistent in my 510.

Well DualBIOS saved my fucking ass; totally forgot about said feature and it was easy as pie to restore to factory default, then load my backed up bios (thank god I did that!)

Running smooth again. Beware of BIOS updates is all I'll say. Especially for Gigabyte. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Are we twins? I had the same problem yesterday in my brand new build. I solved it by returning the board and getting an ASUS Maximus VI Hero. Updated the bios with zero issues there. Super smooth. But I feel you, its scary when it doesnt work, YIKES!

npa189

Random question/paranoia:

I usually upgrade gpus every two years like clockwork, but this year I can't. I have a GTX 670 and a 3570k @4 ghz and 16gb of RAM. I'm not feeling any pain at 1080, but how long can I stay comfortable at this res? I fear UE4 and other high end stuff is going to kill me.

KJ869

but I'm curious how people who have used one feel about the side buttons. I'm wondering how easy it is to find the right buttons (I tried using the Naga with FPS, where I like to bind crouch and grenades to the side keys, but I found it pretty difficult to consistently hit the right keys in a pinch). .

Before my current R.A.T 9 I couldnt use side buttons, because theyre adjustable in this mouse, I finally could set tem so that If I rock my thump foward/backward it clicks them, that works better for me than actualy pusing them with my tumb, as I usually play moving the mouse with palm of my hand.

Ashhong

I've been using a Logitech 510 mouse for awhile now. I like the shape, and it was my first 5 button mouse. However, tonight m1 decided to stop working so I'm in the market for a new mouse. I own a Razer Naga (12 button), but I I quit playing MMOs right after I got it and I dislike the forwrad/back buttons for general use, and I find it pretty unusable for FPS. I'm thinking about picking up a Razer Hex Naga (or another mouse with similar layout), but I'm curious how people who have used one feel about the side buttons. I'm wondering how easy it is to find the right buttons (I tried using the Naga with FPS, where I like to bind crouch and grenades to the side keys, but I found it pretty difficult to consistently hit the right keys in a pinch). I noticed the forward/back are in the same position on the Hex as the regular Naga, but I figure I'll either learn to live with it or remap it.

I'd also like to know if anyone can recommend a reasonably priced mouse that has more than two side buttons. And, with any reply I'd like to know about clicking the scroll wheel, which is rather inconsistent in my 510.

The 510 is a wireless mouse right? I have been using the MX518 (there is a newer version, called the G something...maybe G500?) for over 6 or more years now and it is perfect. Highly recommend it but it is not wireless.

Can anybody recommend me a good 140mm fan available at tigerdirect? I want to get a third for my R4 exhaust and was thinking of just getting the same fan that was provided, the Silent Series R2. Is there a better fan to look into? I have 10$ store credit so I would like to keep it around that price

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7535974&CatId=494

HoosTrax

Hmm, I'm a little suspicious that a recent Windows 8.1 update was pushed which alters the way that the "Performance" power setting works. I actually had a CPU overheat warning come on for the first time ever, so I looked in the ASUS ROG panel, and saw that CPU temps were 70C, and the 4770K's multiplier was fixed at x39, no matter the system load. After a lot of time wasted futzing around with the overclock panel, I finally looked at the Windows power mode settings and dropped it from Performance to Balanced, and the CPU multiplier (as well as CPU voltage and temperatures) immediately dropped down to a reasonable level.

I've had Windows power mode set to Performance ever since I originally installed Windows 8, so this makes me suspicious that something recent caused this behavior...

---

Also, my current build is the first one I've had where the CPU idles at a notably higher temperature than the GPU at idle+"quiet" fan settings. 4770K idles at 40C and the GTX780 idles at 30C. Not sure how I feel about that state of affairs.

I mean, it's the lid + solder issue that people have been complaining about, right?

Ashhong

Hmmm mkenyon or bii or anyone with an R4:

Does the ring around the power button light up with the computer? The official pictures on the site says no, but every picture I've seen says yes. Need to know for modding purposes. Thinking of switching out the red LED for the blue, hopefully wont be too bright.

b63a3c8a-9c0f-42d4-b8a5-faf7873ff1b5

Pachimari

Hmmm mkenyon or bii or anyone with an R4:

Does the ring around the power button light up with the computer? The official pictures on the site says no, but every picture I've seen says yes. Need to know for modding purposes. Thinking of switching out the red LED for the blue, hopefully wont be too bright.

The ring on mine does light up.

I got a question to this as well, is it possible to remove the light from the ring? Is there a cable I should remove?

Ashhong

The ring on mine does light up.

I got a question to this as well, is it possible to remove the light from the ring? Is there a cable I should remove?

Cool thanks. How bright is it? I would check myself but no PSU yet :(

And yea, you can just unplug it from your motherboard. It's the Power LED one.

I'm on a new PC as well. gaming laptop. been playing TOR actually and civ 5. just dled GTAIV off steam. Can my PC run the mod that makes it look better?

forgot the cpu in it right now, but it has 8gb ram, Nvidia 755M graphics card, and the new haswell i think i7Clocked at 3.0ghz

TheCloser

Banned
Hey guys, is the gtx 780 ti overkill for 1080p single screen gaming? I need it to last for 3ish years. I also kinda feel like 3gb of vram is not enough? In a few years, it seems like its going to end up being like the 1.5gb vram cards that we had out not too long ago.

Lizardus

Hey guys, is the gtx 780 ti overkill for 1080p single screen gaming? I need it to last for 3ish years. I also kinda feel like 3gb of vram is not enough? In a few years, it seems like its going to end up being like the 1.5gb vram cards that we had out not too long ago.

it'll be more than enough for 1080p gaming for 3 years.

LilJoka

I believe the only improvement will come from having higher clock speeds at the same price point. Nothing a Haswell K chip won't be able to match. Architecture is the same underneath with maybe some minor tweaks plus the added chipset functionality like M.2 SSD support.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I really don't know why I don't have PCPer up in the news/review lists. Probably will knock Anand down a notch, but their major reviews are always fantastic.

I'm on a new PC as well. gaming laptop. been playing TOR actually and civ 5. just dled GTAIV off steam. Can my PC run the mod that makes it look better?

forgot the cpu in it right now, but it has 8gb ram, Nvidia 755M graphics card, and the new haswell i think i7Clocked at 3.0ghz

Unfortunately the GTA IV port is utter crap in the optimization. Is highly CPU intensive, so with your I7 you will get a nice performance in vanilla, with the graphics mods i think it will use more of your graphics card too, but it will run fine.

Random question/paranoia:

I usually upgrade gpus every two years like clockwork, but this year I can't. I have a GTX 670 and a 3570k @4 ghz and 16gb of RAM. I'm not feeling any pain at 1080, but how long can I stay comfortable at this res? I fear UE4 and other high end stuff is going to kill me.

Your setup other than the RAM is the same as mine. I am more than okay with my 670 as I single screen game at 1080p (edit: @60fps).

My way of looking at it is this: I will upgrade when I feel I am having to knock graphical settings down by more than I want. I have already done this to some extent with certain games e.g. not all ultra but I often cannot tell the difference between a v. high and ultra setting.

In short: Just see how demanding upcoming games are when they arrive and decide if you are no longer happy with having to tone down settings.

Sooo.... are there really any substantial upgrades I can do for RAM that are worth the trouble? Whether it's OC or buying new sticks.

I have 8GB 1600 CL9s (Corsair Vengeance) on a 2500k. From what I've read even if I got good timings, or a higher freq, it would mostly be a waste. Just confirming with you guys.

Oxn

So im looking into full system water cooling

Can someone point me to a site that thoroughly explains the process and what i would need?

LilJoka

Sooo.... are there really any substantial upgrades I can do for RAM that are worth the trouble? Whether it's OC or buying new sticks.

I have 8GB 1600 CL9s (Corsair Vengeance) on a 2500k. From what I've read even if I got good timings, or a higher freq, it would mostly be a waste. Just confirming with you guys.

Yep Ram is giving negligible gains in games, more is better to a certain extent, 8-16gb depending on platform and your habits, so no point in upgrading unless youre running out if RAM.

Hasney

I think it's time. Been holding on forever for the next generation of GPUs, but they're still eeking power out of existing designs, so it's time to retire the trusty old 560ti.

I think I've got 2 choices for my price range:

770 4GB: £260
780 3GB: £360

I was just going to dive in at the 780, but looking at the 4GB 770 swayed me a little. £100 less for a slightly slower card, but an extra 1GB of RAM seems like the tastier option.

SLI in the future is also a consideration and I could do that easier with the 770 and if I'm right, the 4GB would help more there. What do you people think?

kiyomi

I think it's time. Been holding on forever for the next generation of GPUs, but they're still eeking power out of existing designs, so it's time to retire the trusty old 560ti.

I was just going to dive in at the 780, but looking at the 4GB 770 swayed me a little. £100 less for a slightly slower card, but an extra 1GB of RAM seems like the tastier option.

SLI in the future is also a consideration and I could do that easier with the 770 and if I'm right, the 4GB would help more there. What do you people think?

Do you need to go Nvidia? You can get a 3GB 280X for £230 and you'd have more money in your pocket for another upgrade, sooner.

kharma45

£320 for this 780 http://www.ebuyer.com/620192-kfa2-g...playport-pci-e-graphics-card-78xnh5dn8mst-oem

Better buy than the 4GB 770. You'll lose a bit of VRAM yes but it has a lot more grunt which is far more important.

If you have Quidco or TopCashBack too you can get around 2% back on it.

You can get an R9 290 for £290 now fulfilled by Amazon and an R9 280X for around £210 but by the looks of it you want to stick with Nvidia.

riflen

So im looking into full system water cooling

Can someone point me to a site that thoroughly explains the process and what i would need?

It's not something I'd recommend jumping into until you've done some considerable reading on the subject. I didn't know a thing until I began researching last year. My first water build went fine. Nothing blew up, despite some spills and I'm very pleased with the results.

I went to forums like overclockers, they have dedicated forums with good sticky threads for the basics.
Watch lots of youtube videos. Then watch some more. I selected my case then searched for a water build videos for that particular case. You should get an idea of what components you can fit in and from there get some ideas on what radiators you might want. It also helps to see how the tubing could be run.

Linus has some good videos and I found Dazmode's complete water cooling guide very useful. It's a few years old now, but most of the info was still relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom