• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterM

That RMA spreadsheet is good times.

Me having a Sapphire card apparently is not. I've already had it a year, fingers crossed it lives on and I don't have to deal with their customer services.

Hello PC-Gaf :)

I will need a new HD very soon so I've been thinking, why not building a NAS config to hold all my storage ressources ? Problem is, I'm completely ignorant of what kind of config I will need. I was thinking about maybe an AMD low-voltage CPU and 1 Go of RAM, but what kind of PSU and mobo will I need ?

MisterM

Hello PC-Gaf :)

I will need a new HD very soon so I've been thinking, why not building a NAS config to hold all my storage ressources ? Problem is, I'm completely ignorant of what kind of config I will need. I was thinking about maybe an AMD low-voltage CPU and 1 Go of RAM, but what kind of PSU and mobo will I need ?

Do you need a custom built NAS box, will an off the shelf one not cut it?

DocSeuss

Any recommended ways of picking up Windows 7 64 for less than what Amazon's selling it for? My copy is an upgrade I got years ago, and last time I used it, I had to use my WinXP disc (for which my existing key did not work!) to install Vista to install 7. I don't want to go through that again, but I'm rather limited, fiscally.

MisterM

It's more fun if you build it yourself ? :)

Yes it is and more flexible. But probably more expensive in hardware and electricity.

Any recommended ways of picking up Windows 7 64 for less than what Amazon's selling it for? My copy is an upgrade I got years ago, and last time I used it, I had to use my WinXP disc (for which my existing key did not work!) to install Vista to install 7. I don't want to go through that again, but I'm rather limited, fiscally.

Unless you're dead set on Win7, someone was selling 8.1 Keys on Reddit for $15 or so, I believe. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap/

Seems there are Win7 keys floating around for the same price.

kharma45

thanks ,but i already made my mind up for the EVGA one.

Money is not really an issue.

Then go nuts and enjoy the 780 Ti then! :) I probably should have a tag that says 'Hates spending money', I always try to look for the best bang for buck option.

Ok, I'm planning to build a PC next month. I'm not really a computer noob, but I am very outdated about building a PC. Here is my preferred build based on Haz builds on the OP:

CPU: Intel i5 4430 4C/4T
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
RAM: (4GB) <- Fill me in with this one
Graphics: GTX 650Ti Boost 2GB
Storage: 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX
Power Supply: Antec VP450 or similar
Case: NZXT Source 210 or similar
Optical Drive: $20 DVD writer

Basically, I need a home/multimedia/work/semi gaming PC. Won't overclock. Little interest in PC gaming in general, except that I'll play MG: Rising and RockSmith (or maybe some other future games). Current monitor is a 720p Samsung monitor, but I might upgrade to a 1080p. Would not go over $500, and would appreciate if it would be priced lower. Also, I'm not from the US so the price here may vary.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

P.S. - How will Dolphin (Wii emulator) perform here?

If emulation is important I'd recommend looking into a Z87 mobo and a 4670K to overclock. Big gains to be had for the sake of tweaking two values.

Hi Guys, i've decided on the build I will be going with at the end of this month and just wondering if someone can check to see if it will meet my requirements

Motherboard Gigabyte Z87-D3HP £94
CPU Intel i5 4670K £155
GPU 3GB Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X OC WINDFORCE £230
RAM Corsair Vengeance Jet Black 2x4GB £66
HDD 1TB WD10EZEX £45
OS Windows 8.1 64Bit tbc
PSU Cooler Master G Series RS650-AMAAB1-UK 650w £68
Optical Drive standard SATA 24x DVD Writer £15.00
CaseCorsair Carbide Series 200R £50.00

•Main Use: Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 4. General Usage 3 (Word, Web, 1080p playback)

•Monitor Resolution: Due to the size of my flat I will be using a 32" Samsung 1080p HDTV at present until I move out later in the year and then i'll invest in a seperate monitor/desk. What are peoples experiences of using a HDTV as a main monitor? I will be sitting about 5 feet away from teh screen, will internet text be readable? if not i'll probably just use my netbook for browsing

•List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Looking for 1080p and 60fps for the following games
Metro 2033, Metro Last Light
STALKER
The WItcher 1 and 2
Fallout 3, NW - with mods
Skyrim with mods
Dolphin Emulator

•When will you build?: End of January

•Will you be overclocking?: Eventually, not investing a third party cooler just yet but will down the line, unsure if my RAM will be low profile enough?

Spend a bit more on your mobo to get the Z87-D3H, and since emulation is important £25 on a cooler to overclock is important.

Is that RAM low profile?

Just to be sure, as I don't know what these values mean at all: the Be Quiet says ATX v2.4 and EPS v2.92 while the Seasonic says ATX v2.3 and EPS v2.91.
I should be fine in both cases (with an AsRock Z87 Pro3 + i5-4430/4440)?

Thank you anyway! :)

Either is fine. The Seasonic is just an older unit hence the numerical difference.

http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswa...etail_windows_81_pro_keys_w_paypal_225_sales/

They're legit retail (not OEM) keys.

jonno394

Spend a bit more on your mobo to get the Z87-D3H, and since emulation is important £25 on a cooler to overclock is important.

Is that RAM low profile?

Do you mean the Z87X-D3H? Just noticed it's roughy the same prices as the Z87-D3HP at present on amazon.

No it's not low profile, but i'll be investigating the low profile alternate versions of it when I get home tonight.

kharma45

Do you mean the Z87X-D3H? Just noticed it's roughy the same prices as the Z87-D3HP at present on amazon.

No it's not low profile, but i'll be investigating the low profile alternate versions of it when I get home tonight.

Yep this board here http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CUCRKO0/

For £10 more it's a better board.

On the RAM side of things these are both cheaper and lower profile http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-000-AR&campaign=affiliate/tag and http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-...66-(1333)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-15v

RAM speed doesn't really matter. That stuff from OCUK lights up blue so will match your mobo if aesthetics matter.

PSU wise consider this Be Quiet! model at £60 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/530w...e-87-eff-120mm-silentwings-fan-eps-12v-atx-v2

If you buy a W8.1 code from Reddit you won't need the DVD drive

jonno394

Yep this board here http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CUCRKO0/

For £10 more it's a better board.

On the RAM side of things these are both cheaper and lower profile http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-000-AR&campaign=affiliate/tag and http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-...66-(1333)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-15v

RAM speed doesn't really matter. That stuff from OCUK lights up blue so will match your mobo if aesthetics matter.

PSU wise consider this Be Quiet! model at £60 http://www.scan.co.uk/products/530w...e-87-eff-120mm-silentwings-fan-eps-12v-atx-v2

If you buy a W8.1 code from Reddit you won't need the DVD drive

cheers for all the information, very helpful.

I've been toying with dropping the disc drive because I intend to do most of my gaming via Steam or other digital downloads. However, I don't have windows 8 on my current laptop so in terms of installing with just a license key from reddit I thought i'd have issues as I can't download the 8.1 iso from windows website to create a memory stick, so I was going to borrow a friends disc.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
cheers for all the information, very helpful.

I've been toying with dropping the disc drive because I intend to do most of my gaming via Steam or other digital downloads. However, I don't have windows 8 on my current laptop so in terms of installing with just a license key from reddit I thought i'd have issues as I can't download the 8.1 iso from windows website to create a memory stick, so I was going to borrow a friends disc.

Why would you need a disc drive?
Just download the .iso onto flash and install from bios.
Edit: blah

Jibbed

GPU, monitor and case ordered! My 2011 build is about to be dragged into 2014 :D

gigabyte-gtx-770-windforce-4gb,F-G-389356-13.jpg
asus-ve247h.33522167.jpg
image.php.jpg

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
As mentioned, the download direct from microsoft for 8.1 doesn't work because you already need 8 installed (which I do not have)

Install Windows 8, then upgrade for free to 8.1? Or is the base Windows 8 not available?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
A word of advice to those with kids, put cushioning around the rig ><

Better yet, put the rig in the attic and use long cables to your monitor

My kids were playing and knocked over my case and 2 usb deviced were plugged into the front IO panel and both USB 3 ports busted. Luckily Corsair sells replacement IO's for the 500r. 15 dollar setback but at least I will have 2 working USB ports again since the 2nd one was actually buster a few ago when my son moved the desk chair and bent it while my KB was plugged in.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
who else is bored sitting on their hands waiting for maxwell?

I was going to, but I figure we're not going to get anything worth a damn (20nm) until the end of the year and I'm tired of waiting, already waited a whole year.

And I'm still not convinced Nvidia is going to do something with 28nm Maxwell meaning we might not even get new GPUs for another 9ish months.

soultron

Banned
Thinking of grabbing a SoundBlaster Z card so that I can get a gaming headset with an amp.

Do you guys who have the SB Z have any gaming (mic included) recommendations under $300 for the headset?

I skimmed the guide included in the OP but it didn't seem to have much stuff that was <$300 that included a mic for gaming.

Astros?

Tablo

Thinking of grabbing a SoundBlaster Z card so that I can get a gaming headset with an amp.

Do you guys who have the SB Z have any gaming (mic included) recommendations under $300 for the headset?

I skimmed the guide included in the OP but it didn't seem to have much stuff that was <$300 that included a mic for gaming.

Astros?

Get the SoundBlaster Omni (has all the Z's gaming features, build in mic, and a good amp) and the Sennheiser G4ME Zero!
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/g4me-zero
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZT7RE4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I have this set up and it is pretty sweet.

A friend is asking about wireless keyboard and mouse for gaming, are there any decent options? I know they are still not ideal but I'm not familiar with the current state of things.

kharma45

A friend is asking about wireless keyboard and mouse for gaming, are there any decent options? I know they are still not ideal but I'm not familiar with the current state of things.

On the mouse side of things I like Logitech's stuff, I've an M510 which I use from time to time and no real complaints about it.

Thorgal

Then go nuts and enjoy the 780 Ti then! :) I probably should have a tag that says 'Hates spending money', I always try to look for the best bang for buck option.

Normally i am the same way with money .but in this case i wanted to buy the best that there is available right now since i want this card to last me as long as possible and capable of max settings in future games .

plus the ACX cooler is also great for me as i like my cards cool and quiet .

Ultryx

Going to upgrade a few parts in my PC this coming week and had a question about the PSU. I'm not at home so I'm not sure what the wattage is in my system now, but what would you guys recommend as my minimum wattage for a setup like so:

Mobo
i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz
8 GB RAM
760 2GB
2 TB HDD
3 case fans
24" LED
Printer

I was thinking I should aim for 650-750 watts?

kharma45

Going to upgrade a few parts in my PC this coming week and had a question about the PSU. I'm not at home so I'm not sure what the wattage is in my system now, but what would you guys recommend as my minimum wattage for a setup like so:

Mobo
i5 2500K @ 4.3Ghz
8 GB RAM
760 2GB
2 TB HDD
3 case fans
24" LED
Printer

I was thinking I should aim for 650-750 watts?

500w.

mkenyon

Banned
who else is bored sitting on their hands waiting for maxwell?
Excited about a mid-tier part with relatively minor gains over a 780 for the same price, but lower power consumption?

Not me.

We're like 2+ years out from the full blown maxwell GM110 release. GTX 980.
The ones in the OP are the only I'd ever recommend (albeit begrudgingly) for gaming.

Just over a year since last needing your guys' help. Looking for it again.

Looking for a desktop PC with a focus on the visual side of things. Namely, GAMING and VIDEO EDITING. No interest in overclocking or anything of that sort.

Optimally I'd like to be able to run something like Skyrim, and most of its accompanying graphical mods. Being able to run Dark Souls and Dark Souls II at a decent clip would be nice. Not looking for cutting edge. Something mid-tier. ~$750-$850.

Also looking for something that can do some DV footage editing. Mini DV to be precise.

I'm think something along the lines of an i5 at about 2.2, 8gb DDR3, and not sure about the motherboard yet. Is GDDR5 even an option at my pricepoint?

Been out of this game a long time now.

Any help is appreciated.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So I have gone from a laptop with a 2GHz C2D and GT230M to a A10-6800k/GTX760. What games from the 'last gen' are worth revisiting or trying for the first time? I wanted to retry Crysis, but it black screens on me, and none of the files have worked so far. Gonna try some GTA4 as that was outright unplayable on my laptop, but what else is worth playing? Stalker? ARMA II? Metro 2033? I guess I am looking for games that were technical showcases and that still hold up.

mkenyon

Banned
Is the latency seriously noticeable with wireless vs. wired? Like how many ms difference are we talking?
The only latency that exists with USB mice is that of the USB polling the device. Wireless depends on the frequency and distance between mouse and receiver, but can be upwards of 100-200ms on cheap stuff.

With the nicer wireless stuff, you're probably looking at a frame of latency at most.
NoRéN;96959372 said:
The thread title needs an addition.

HDDs are so last gen too. :)
Shit, that was pretty much the thread title from a year ago. TIME TO MOVE ON FROM SPINNING DISKS FOLKS.

thefil

So I ordered a Fractal R4, and the case has a fan controller. Do I need specific kinds of fans to work with this? What's a good brand of fan to buy?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm getting antsy, alright. I'm *this* close to just throwing my hands up and doing what this dude did:

There's very little hampering that you will feel with 1 780ti, let alone 2. If I get the itch and Maxwell GPU's are the real deal then I may sell them in a year when put together my Haswell-E build.

yatesl

So I ordered a Fractal R4, and the case has a fan controller. Do I need specific kinds of fans to work with this? What's a good brand of fan to buy?

Any standard fans will fit. Without opening my case to check, I think there's 3 headers on the controller - not that I use it.

Noctura fans are supposed to be good.

thefil

Any standard fans will fit. Without opening my case to check, I think there's 3 headers on the controller - not that I use it.

Noctura fans are supposed to be good.

Do the fans need anything special, like a control connector, or do they just power off the controller?

thefil

If you're running a single GPU, there's no need to replace the fans.

Really? I wanted to add fans - I ran four in my old case and the GPU regularly peaked at around 74 celsius. I'd prefer to keep it below that, if possible. Am I being crazy?

- J - D -

There's very little hampering that you will feel with 1 780ti, let alone 2. If I get the itch and Maxwell GPU's are the real deal then I may sell them in a year when put together my Haswell-E build.

Yeah I'm certainly considering it. Waiting until March to hear anything official about the higher-end maxwell cards is tough.

mkenyon

Banned
Really? I wanted to add fans - I ran four in my old case and the GPU regularly peaked at around 74 celsius. I'd prefer to keep it below that, if possible. Am I being crazy?
What GPU?

Wanting temps for the sake of temps is indeed crazy. It's unlikely that additional fans on the case will reduce the noise of the GPU.

soultron

Banned
Get the SoundBlaster Omni (has all the Z's gaming features, build in mic, and a good amp) and the Sennheiser G4ME Zero!
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/g4me-zero
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EZT7RE4/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I have this set up and it is pretty sweet.

I must've been out of the loop for a while. Is that a sound card combined with an amp? Or is it just external connections for things like a mic and whatnot.

Is this superior to an internal card, which would be connected via PCI/PCI-E? I find it weird that this is done via USB, personally. But I'm really uninformed when it comes to audio stuff on PC. I'm not really an audiophile at all, but am looking to have a better setup than I do now in terms of headset and mic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom