• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ark

This is probably a dumb question but I'm very tired right now and kinda anxious:

Can I download Windows 8.1 from here and use that installer to put it on a USB and then install that onto my new rig? It says to make sure you're on the computer you want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and my Google-fu keeps bringing me back to this page. I just don't want to waste my product key, obviously.

LilJoka

This is probably a dumb question but I'm very tired right now and kinda anxious:

Can I download Windows 8.1 from here and use that installer to put it on a USB and then install that onto my new rig? It says to make sure you're on the computer you want to upgrade to Windows 8.1 and my Google-fu keeps bringing me back to this page. I just don't want to waste my product key, obviously.

Yes you can do that, it just needs the key at this point to authorise downloading Windows 8.

I always use the keys from mydigitalife forum to install windows 8, then when your happy you can activate with your key.

kennah

Does the entire motherboard need to come out? Looks like you can just unscrew the heatsink/CPU, replace the chip, and then pop the heatsink back on (with new thermal paste).
Yep. Is the only way to take it out of the casing. Short of cutting a hole in the plastic.

Yes you can do that, it just needs the key at this point to authorise downloading Windows 8.

I always use the keys from mydigitalife forum to install windows 8, then when your happy you can activate with your key.

And to add to this, what happens is you go there, you download an installer and it verifies your key. Then it downloads the entire OS and gives you options at the end. Install now, install later or not install at all. At this point it also allows you to create a USB installer, or it generates an ISO for a dvd burn etc. I tested it extensively and closed it and reopened the app a bunch of times, made both, rebooted etc. You'll need your key when you load the OS though so write that down/save it somewhere. Good luck!

Ark

And to add to this, what happens is you go there, you download an installer and it verifies your key. Then it downloads the entire OS and gives you options at the end. Install now, install later or not install at all. At this point it also allows you to create a USB installer, or it generates an ISO for a dvd burn etc. I tested it extensively and closed it and reopened the app a bunch of times, made both, rebooted etc. You'll need your key when you load the OS though so write that down/save it somewhere. Good luck!

Thanks a lot both of you! Going to build my rig tomorrow, once Windows is on my USB drive everything will be ready for assembly :)

Zakkath

Looking for advice on this build :

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3r9tL

Would you change anything ?

[Basic Desktop Questions]

Your Current Specs: AMD FX8150 / 8GB / Asus Crosshair V / GTX560 /
Budget: Under 1,5k, Canada
Main Use: Mostly Gaming and general purpose.
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080, I have a 23" monitor already.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Wildstar, Star Citizen, 60FPS
When will you build?: within the next month
Will you be overclocking?: No

Oxn

Why would people NOT get the 780 reference cooler?

Its soooo good. SO quiet, so cool. Dunno why people will go for the 3rd party coolers, not including water blocks.

mkenyon

Banned
Why would people NOT get the 780 reference cooler?

Its soooo good. SO quiet, so cool. Dunno why people will go for the 3rd party coolers, not including water blocks.
Because they're even more quiet and cool.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Wildstar, Star Citizen, 60FPS
You sure on the overclocking bit? It helps performance in a lot of games by a pretty big margin, and is really easy now. The parts are designed for it. If so:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($184.50 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($289.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: NZXT H230 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1210.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-17 19:45 EDT-0400)

If not, get an H87/B85 motherboard. But you really should.

Get a Windows key online from reddit.com/r/softwareswap, can find one for under $40 generally.

Zakkath

Because they're even more quiet and cool.

You sure on the overclocking bit? It helps performance in a lot of games by a pretty big margin, and is really easy now. The parts are designed for it. If so:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($184.50 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($289.00 @ Canada Computers)
Case: NZXT H230 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1210.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-17 19:45 EDT-0400)

If not, get an H87/B85 motherboard. But you really should.

Get a Windows key online from reddit.com/r/softwareswap, can find one for under $40 generally.

I don't feel comfortable with overclocking and it can lower the lifespan of hardware, so meh. I won't bother.

mkenyon

Banned
I don't feel comfortable with overclocking and it can lower the lifespan of hardware, so meh. I won't bother.
By lower the lifespan, that might mean 10 years instead of 20. Maybe 8 years instead of 10. You can at least bump it up to 4.0 or 4.1 GHz without a voltage increase, which is the only thing that reduces the lifespan of processors.

M3z_

Cross post

R9 290 Asus DCUII $400 US48 only, shipping included

3nlCPQtl.jpg

uA2b9zKl.jpg

eBYCQajl.jpg

Nearly brand new. Works great, no issues whatsoever.

Jabraham

So i feel a little out of place here and need some help from you guys. I've decided to stay away from next gen and get a good gaming PC. looking online at different parts and i have no frame of reference and only seeing letters, numbers and complicated words i dont understand.

Can't really break the bank here however do want to be able to run games on high setting pushing older games to max. Don't really know where to start here so your help will be appreciated.

So i feel a little out of place here and need some help from you guys. I've decided to stay away from next gen and get a good gaming PC. looking online at different parts and i have no frame of reference and only seeing letters, numbers and complicated words i dont understand.

Can't really break the bank here however do want to be able to run games on high setting pushing older games to max. Don't really know where to start here so your help will be appreciated.
Are you in the US? Then get a processor/motherboard bundle from Microcenter. Intel stuff is best if you want to emulate games.

axb2013

You are golden. I would probably look for a deal on a better GPU. 770 is 15% faster in Cryengine because of Star Citizen it is relevant to your choice. Hunt down a better deal on a GPU IMO.

Also you can score a deal for the OS on reddit, I would redirect the savings towards a video card.

appaws

Banned

There is a little questionaire thing in the OP. Fill that out and repost it here so we have your info.

Josman

Can someone tell me of a good mATX motherboard for an i5 4670k w/ GTX 760 ? Other than the Biostar ones in the OP, one capable of OC'ing for around the same price, it's hard finding parts for a good price in Mexico :/

And another thing? Will DDR4 work with current Motherboard or CPUs? I heard something about that

M3z_

I might be interested. why are you selling it??!

I basically bought it because I had 3 290's coming to me on what I thought would be last friday, but it turned out I would not get them in time for the weekend so I bought one one wednesday with 2 day prime shipping to make sure I could build my itx rig over the weekend without having to wait. Really the thing is basically new.

Panzon

It's finally done guys. It's finally fucking done!! LETS FUCKING GO!!

d0sWUJG.jpg

Missing is the mechanical keyboard which I'll get sometime next month. Got a cheap Logitech K120 in the mean time. Also missing is the monitor (gonna borrow one for now), headphones and speakers. Gonna start building this thing either later tonight or tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Can someone tell me of a good mATX motherboard for an i5 4670k w/ GTX 760 ? Other than the Biostar ones in the OP, one capable of OC'ing for around the same price, it's hard finding parts for a good price in Mexico :/

And another thing? Will DDR4 work with current Motherboard or CPUs? I heard something about that

just haswell-E mobos i think, so not anything that sockets an i5-4670k

FLAguy954

It's finally done guys. It's finally fucking done!! LETS FUCKING GO!!

d0sWUJG.jpg

Missing is the mechanical keyboard which I'll get sometime next month. Got a cheap Logitech K120 in the mean time. Also missing is the monitor (gonna borrow one for now), headphones and speakers. Gonna start building this thing either later tonight or tomorrow.

Wish me luck!

So lucky, good luck man!

So I got a 780. I installed the drivers for the card then swapped it with my HD 7850. Now I don't get a signal through dvi with my 780. Can anyone help?

mkenyon

Banned
So I got a 780. I installed the drivers for the card then swapped it with my HD 7850. Now I don't get a signal through dvi with my 780. Can anyone help?
Put the old card back in.

Remove all drivers, AMD and NVIDIA

Delete everything in C:\AMD, and C:\NVIDIA

Power off PC

Put in new card

Install NVIDIA drivers.

Panzon

Guys I have no idea what Im doing anymore. The heat sink is proving to be a big pain in the ass. For some reason one of the screws wont reach the far enough for me to screw it. It feels sturday but Im scared I might have messed up my CPU by applying so much pressure. PLEASE HELP MEEEEE!!!

Qd3tY2b.jpg

This is what Im talking about

TheBear

Randomly found a DVI>HDMI adapter and everything's working great.
I have one concern though. The 780 says it needs a min 600W PSU.
I'm only using a 500W (80+), with an i5 4xxx, an SSD, 2x HDD's etc.
Should I be concerned about the PSU at all or if it works does that mean there's no issues?

I been there, I had somebody help me screw it in while I held it down. I thought I bent my CPU pins applying so much pressure, but it was fine.

Guys I have no idea what Im doing anymore. The heat sink is proving to be a big pain in the ass. For some reason one of the screws wont reach the far enough for me to screw it. It feels sturday but Im scared I might have messed up my CPU by applying so much pressure. PLEASE HELP MEEEEE!!!

Qd3tY2b.jpg

Maybe have some spare screws left, which fits and is a bit longer?
I know this is kinda ghetto-stylish, but it'll hold.

Mozendo

[image]

I'm going to assume that a Hyper 212 Evo?
If it is I was in the same spot you're in. Anywho, you need to move the screws, if it's a Hyper 212 Evo the screw should have 3 positions to use them in.

If that's not it make sure you secure the top right slightly, then bottom left slightly, then bottom right slightly, then top left slightly. Then keep screwing them slightly changing from screw to screw every few seconds

Randomly found a DVI>HDMI adapter and everything's working great.
I have one concern though. The 780 says it needs a min 600W PSU.
I'm only using a 500W (80+), with an i5 4xxx, an SSD, 2x HDD's etc.
Should I be concerned about the PSU at all or if it works does that mean there's no issues?
Should be unless you're overclocking, but I could be wrong.

Soodanim

So I feel a little out of place here and need some help from you guys. I've decided to stay away from next gen and get a good gaming PC. looking online at different parts and i have no frame of reference and only seeing letters, numbers and complicated words i dont understand.

The main parts of your build will be the CPU and GPU. Almost everyone will recommend an Intel CPU, which are (for the most part) split into i3, i5, and i7. i3s are dual core, i5s are quad core, and i7s are quad core with hyperthreading. If you want to overclock your CPU, you need a "k" model. For example, the i5 4670 cannot overclock, but the 4670k can. As it stands, barely any games exist that take advantage of hyperthreading, so an i5 4670k (the best i5) is recommended.

With GPUs, it's less one-sided. AMD GPUs just had a renaming, but they're currently split into R7 and R9, then the model number. Higher number = better. An example would be the R9 280X. (People don't tend to mention the R9 part though).

NVidia naming is simpler. They're usually 3 digits: the first is the series number (currently 7), then the model number. Sometimes there are "ti" models, and they are always better than a non-ti. An example would be the 750 ti.

With RAM, it's best to have a multiple of two sticks (2x 4GB sticks) and for a gaming machine it doesn't need to be any faster than about 1600mhz.

For the rest of the parts, it's less complicated, and you'll get recommendations but it's more about reading reviews to find out what's good or not.

Put the old card back in.

Remove all drivers, AMD and NVIDIA

Delete everything in C:\AMD, and C:\NVIDIA

Power off PC

Put in new card

Install NVIDIA drivers.

I did that and I still dont get a signal. The EVGA manual says that this happens when the integrated graphics adapter is not disabled, but I already did that. The good thing is that when I boot into safe mode the 780 at least comes up as a device.

scogoth

I did that and I still dont get a signal. The EVGA manual says that this happens when the integrated graphics adapter is not disabled, but I already did that. The good thing is that when I boot into safe mode the 780 at least comes up as a device.

Latest beta drivers or whql. The latest beta drivers wouldn't work for me (680)

Few quick noob questions, looking to build a rig within the next 3-6 months or so.

Would waiting for black Friday and the holiday season be my best bet if I wanted to save a couple bucks or is there another prime shopping time for PC parts?
Also are there any expected leaps in technology or generational shifts expected in the short term where it would make sense to wait even longer?

Thanks.

Anyone? thanks in advance

I want to replace the 2 rear-exhaust fans that came with an antec 1200 case (antec tri-cool 120mm). Could someone help me out? I am looking for something that moves a similar quantity of air but it quieter. Noctua F? Noctua S?

Panzon

Maybe have some spare screws left, which fits and is a bit longer?
I know this is kinda ghetto-stylish, but it'll hold.
I managed to get them in last night but then went to sleep. Hopefully I didn't break any pins on CPU or mess up anything else. I'm nervous as hell

Ashhong

Does anybody know how I can download Windows 8.1 pro N? I tried Microsofts upgrade tool and it said it wasn't available in my country and the reddit seller isn't replying. My parts are coming in today and I need the stupid ISO :(

I want to replace the 2 rear-exhaust fans that came with an antec 1200 case (antec tri-cool 120mm). Could someone help me out? I am looking for something that moves a similar quantity of air but it quieter. Noctua F? Noctua S?

Take a look at the fans made by Phanteks. From a review I read they are better, or at least as good as Noctua and cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom