• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
Planning on buying the parts for this build:

NmbUYyL.png

Found out that the Bitfenix Prodigy M can fit a mATX motherboard in the system, any reason why I should go Mini ITX over mATX? Weighs less? Cheaper?
It's a much tighter squeeze, and a bit harder to work in. Most retailers have the Prodigy M at $100, whereas the standard Prodigy can be found for anywhere between $50-70.

Hawk269

Deathadder has interpolation. Steelseries Rival has the best firmware, zero interpolation. Most laser mice require extra heavy interpolation to go to non-native DPI settings, and this isn't an issue on the Rival. Sounds like that's what you're looking for.

January 13th.

If you sell the M8, lemme know.

Per Haz's post above, I have the AKG Q701s and SB ZxR that he tried out. It's pretty fucking incredible. The huge soundstage on the Q701s allow for more accurate virtualized surround, which is awesome. It sounds like a real surround setup.

I will let you know. Not sure exactly what I am doing as of yet. I am waiting for new GPU's and CPU's to be announced/come out before committing to anything. I figure I will do a build in about 6 months or so when we know more on GPU's and CPU's. I know Intel has said something recently about a new "E" branded CPU that will be out later in the year.

mkenyon

Banned
There's not going to be any GPUs you'll want to replace your Titans with. GM104 first, I'm sure.

Haswell-E is coming in Q3. X99 chipset, DDR4, 6 cores @ $300, 8 cores @ 500.

Is this a reasonable place to as about new monitors or is there a special thread for that?

if people can answer here I'm looking for a secondary monitor for editing videos (having it as the view preview and timelines on my main monitor) so colour reproduction and image quality are key more so than response times and refresh rates, will also be viewing blu rays on it most likely. So mainly around the 24" 1080p range

My current setup is an Asus VG248qe 144Hz monitor so I have that for my competitive smooth gaming

Scum

I'd go 2x8GB for RAM instead of 4x4, given the choice. Also Win8.1 unless you have a specific reason for going with Win7 (known compatibility issue or something).

Otherwise very nice.

Cool. Just going to rummage through and exchange a thing or two.

Pretty good deal on NewEgg for the 250GB SAMSUNG 840 EVO, coupon code and instant savings brings it to $160. Should I drop the hammer on this son of a gun and finally get my SSD?

Tablo

I must've been out of the loop for a while. Is that a sound card combined with an amp? Or is it just external connections for things like a mic and whatnot.

Is this superior to an internal card, which would be connected via PCI/PCI-E? I find it weird that this is done via USB, personally. But I'm really uninformed when it comes to audio stuff on PC. I'm not really an audiophile at all, but am looking to have a better setup than I do now in terms of headset and mic.
Yup soundcard/amp combo.
You're not really missing out vis a vis the Soundblaster Z, it has the same feature set. Maybe some legacy stuff isn't there and some features you don't need, you get the added benefit of it being out of your computer case, no EMI interference or noise.
The SBX surround it has is really good too,

Scum

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)

xJavonta

Banned
Why do you need so much storage may I ask ?

I'm still one of those persons that can get by with 30 or 40 gb lol

Do you play games on your PC?

My 1TB is pretty much full, and I'm scared to buy a 2TB because I heard they're pretty unreliable. But I need more storage, 1TB for data isn't cutting it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

The rig I built in 2007 is sitting in the corner decaying with a 40gb HDD.

How the hell do you get by with that little space?

Do you play games on your PC?

My 1TB is pretty much full, and I'm scared to buy a 2TB because I heard they're pretty unreliable. But I need more storage, 1TB for data isn't cutting it.

Buy another 1TB.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Have a 256gb 240 Pro, 1tb Samsung Spinpoint and a 500GB right now. Will be getting a 2TB and 4TB HDD. Have lots of games and videos mainly. Got lots of SW I mess with from time to time as well.

I have to clean the fridge out more often than you realize with just games alone.

LiquidMetal14

There's not going to be any GPUs you'll want to replace your Titans with. GM104 first, I'm sure.

I thought the 6 cores were coming for 400 and the 8 core for 600?

mkenyon

Banned
That's intended for servers, correct? So is it really going to be desirable/superior than i7s for gaming purposes?
Socket 1150 = Consumer = Standard Name (Haswell) = Z87 Chipset
Socket 2011 = Enthusiast = -E (Haswell-E) = X99 Chipset
Socket 2011 = Server = -EP (Haswell-EP) = Csomethingsomething chipset

They've been doing this with their parts since Sandy, and to a more confusing extent with Nehalem/Lynnfield.

What you get over consumer:

• 40 PCI-E lanes as opposed to 16, which means full x16/x16/x8 or x16/x8/x8/x8 PCI-E support for Tri/Quad Crossfire/SLI.
  • Quad Channel memory, though that has basically zero effect on gaming.
  • Soldered on IHS, rather than the crappy TIM that is on Ivy/Haswell, which means lower temps at higher clocks (generally - it does consume a lot more power though).
  • More cores with 6 on the standard i7, and 8 on the high end i7.

Basically, it only makes sense for serious enthusiasts, as well as media creation folks. For standard gamers with 1-2 cards, you're going to want to stick to the consumer socket.
I thought the 6 cores were coming for 400 and the 8 core for 600?
The prices should line up as they are now with the 4820K and 4930K. So what is that, like $330 and $560?

LiquidMetal14

The prices should line up as they are now with the 4820K and 4930K. So what is that, like $330 and $560?

I was reading the rumored prices maybe a week or two ago. I'd be content if the 8 core was the same price as the 3930k I got.

I have a question about bios settings. I just realized I can do fast boot with Windows 8.1. Seems to work well and I can now do 1 click to boot into bios right from Windows. My question is how can I backup OC/bios settings when I update to a new bios? Every single time I've updated the Sabertooth x79 I have to redo all my settings including important OC settings. Not that it's a big deal to write this stuff down but surely there's a way around this.

Hawk269

I would think that whatever the high-end Maxwell should out do the Titan right? My issue as of today is that my 4k Sony TV had the firmware update to enable HDMI 2.0 compatibility, but there is no GPU on the market that has HDMI 2.0 for me to take advantage of it.

If someone would make a Display Port to HDMI 2.0 Converter, I would not even think of making a new build at all..if anything I would just get a 3rd Titan to drive 4k @60fps. My fiancée has already green lighted a new 4k set since she likes the one we have and would like it in our bedroom, so if I do get a new 4k this year, the only one with Display Port is Panasonic. However, I did have Panasonic's 4k 2013 set and while it was pretty amazing using the display port and 4k gaming, it suffered from 4 vertical lines, which later was determined to be the sets support beams showing through, so in the end it was not fixable. So until I read some user reviews when the 2014 comes out, I am sticking with my Sony 4k.

Sony also announced full led 4k set, but it wont have Display Port, so I would still be in the situation of needing a GPU with HDMI 2.0.

mkenyon

Banned
I would think that whatever the high-end Maxwell should out do the Titan right? My issue as of today is that my 4k Sony TV had the firmware update to enable HDMI 2.0 compatibility, but there is no GPU on the market that has HDMI 2.0 for me to take advantage of it.

If someone would make a Display Port to HDMI 2.0 Converter, I would not even think of making a new build at all..if anything I would just get a 3rd Titan to drive 4k @60fps. My fiancée has already green lighted a new 4k set since she likes the one we have and would like it in our bedroom, so if I do get a new 4k this year, the only one with Display Port is Panasonic. However, I did have Panasonic's 4k 2013 set and while it was pretty amazing using the display port and 4k gaming, it suffered from 4 vertical lines, which later was determined to be the sets support beams showing through, so in the end it was not fixable. So until I read some user reviews when the 2014 comes out, I am sticking with my Sony 4k.

Sony also announced full led 4k set, but it wont have Display Port, so I would still be in the situation of needing a GPU with HDMI 2.0.
Well the first high end maxwell card will likely be based on the GM104, so it'll be like the 580->680 transition. The full blown GM110 will probably debut 2+ years from now as a revised Titan or maybe a GTX 980.

Anustart

So I'm wanting to run a multi-monitor setup instead of a single. If I'm not planning on gaming on these, just work (Unity, general programming), is a single gtx 760 enough to do it?

What do I need to accomplish this, as I'm quite clueless on the subject. Just grab another monitor and hdmi cable and let her rip??

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Socket 1150 = Consumer = Standard Name (Haswell) = Z87 Chipset
Socket 2011 = Enthusiast = -E (Haswell-E) = X99 Chipset
Socket 2011 = Server = -EP (Haswell-EP) = Csomethingsomething chipset

They've been doing this with their parts since Sandy, and to a more confusing extent with Nehalem/Lynnfield.

What you get over consumer:

• 40 PCI-E lanes as opposed to 16, which means full x16/x16/x8 or x16/x8/x8/x8 PCI-E support for Tri/Quad Crossfire/SLI.
  • Quad Channel memory, though that has basically zero effect on gaming.
  • Soldered on IHS, rather than the crappy TIM that is on Ivy/Haswell, which means lower temps at higher clocks (generally - it does consume a lot more power though).
  • More cores with 6 on the standard i7, and 8 on the high end i7.

Basically, it only makes sense for serious enthusiasts, as well as media creation folks. For standard gamers with 1-2 cards, you're going to want to stick to the consumer socket.

Any unlocked or configurable turbo frequencies with these Xeon v3s? If so I may switch to this for work PC builds.

That's intended for servers, correct? So is it really going to be desirable/superior than i7s for gaming purposes?

If you're not overclocking, then yes it's an upgrade. 7-10% IPC gain over Ivy. DDR4 + more cores for future scalability.

So I'm wanting to run a multi-monitor setup instead of a single. If I'm not planning on gaming on these, just work (Unity, general programming), is a single gtx 760 enough to do it?

What do I need to accomplish this, as I'm quite clueless on the subject. Just grab another monitor and hdmi cable and let her rip??

There or a lot of $50-70 GPUs for 2 monitor connections (GT 620). For 3 you're looking at $100 entry (typically entry level gaming GPUs).

Yusaku

I'm just bored and I'm kind of curious what you guys would look to upgrade next in my setup:

GPU: MSI 670 GTX Power Edition
CPU: i5-2400K OC @ 4.8GHz
Mobo: ASRock Z77E-ITX
RAM: 8GB
Display: Samsung 27" 60hz 1080p
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: Seagate ST3000DM001 Barracude 3TB

I have a Mini-ITX mobo but I have a full tower (it originally started as a mini build).

I really want to get a 27" 120Hz monitor this year. Kinda want to see how things pan out with G-Sync and whatever ATI is doing.

CPU obviously has a great overclock thanks to my H100i water cooler. I think it would make more sense to upgrade the GPU before the CPU, but again I want to wait things out to see how Mantle shakes out.

If you could only upgrade one thing in my setup this year what would you do?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I'm just bored and I'm kind of curious what you guys would look to upgrade next in my setup:

GPU: MSI 670 GTX Power Edition
CPU: i5-2400K OC @ 4.8GHz
Mobo: ASRock Z77E-ITX
RAM: 8GB
Display: Samsung 27" 60hz 1080p
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: Seagate ST3000DM001 Barracude 3TB

I have a Mini-ITX mobo but I have a full tower (it originally started as a mini build).

I really want to get a 27" 120Hz monitor this year. Kinda want to see how things pan out with G-Sync and whatever ATI is doing.

CPU obviously has a great overclock thanks to my H100i water cooler. I think it would make more sense to upgrade the GPU before the CPU, but again I want to wait things out to see how Mantle shakes out.

If you could only upgrade one thing in my setup this year what would you do?

Until Google Fiber hits Austin, I don't feel safe storing important documents on a single HDD volume or to wait for the cloud. I'd setup RAID1 with a second 3TB drive.

Otherwise yeah GPU or monitor.

Anustart

There or a lot of $50-70 GPUs for 2 monitor connections (GT 620). For 3 you're looking at $100 entry (typically entry level gaming GPUs).

Well, at this point I'm just interested if the 760 has the capability to run 2+ monitors. Mine seemingly has two HDMI outs, so I'd think it would work correct?

And If I do decide before I pull the trigger that I want to game on 2 or 3 monitors, would an upgrade to a 770 be sufficient, or would it serve my interests more to get a 780?

Edit: Or would SLI-760s be a viable option???

2nd Edit: I do all of my gaming and pc use on a 1080p monitor, and will be keeping it this way as at this point I'm not interested in a higher resolution per monitor.

mkenyon

Banned

You're golden. Just plug the monitors into the back of the card as well as your I/O if need be.

Anustart

Okay! The additions I'm making to my pc in february are:

Acer 23" Monitor for dual setup.
120gb SSD (I had to leave this crucial part out last fall due to other bills :( )
CM Storm Recon Mouse (My current one is a cheap 8$ walmart jobby )
Corsair K30 (I have another cheap walmart model, and I found out last week it has some trouble with certain multiple button presses)

350 controller.
Heatsink (To finally put my 3570k to use instead of leaving it at stock.)

All for $411. That controller is really going to help me enjoy certain games from my steam library to be truly enjoyed. At the moment I still haven't played much Fez due to not really liking kb/m controls. Bastion, Castle Crashers (That one is particularly rough with kb/m), and I'll finally give Gun Monkeys more of a chance than the 5 minutes or so I've played of it so far.

Edit: Almost forgot, anyone have a recommendation for a blue tooth receiver so I can run Dolphin on this with Wii Motes/Controllers?
I figure in the fall I'll upgrade my gpu to either sli or go nuts and grab a 780ti and perhaps tack on a 3rd monitor. Dunno when I'll need to upgrade my cpu, but I think I'll be good on that front for another year or two probably.

Hey guys, I was wondering. I was looking for a new monitor (either a single one or a dual monitor set up). My budget is $400 but I could go over that if it's worth it.

From the OP, I was wondering if anyone has ever bought a QNIX QX2710 from Amazon. I realize it's only from third party sellers so I was wondering if anyone had purchased from any of them. I also wanted to know if it'd be better to go with a single one of them over a dual monitor set up of two cheaper monitors like the Asus ones. This is the one I found http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUI44US/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd appreciate any help on this since I'm pretty new to buying Monitors.

I'm looking for a new GPU upgrade but I haven't followed any of this stuff for a while. currently have a 2500k @ 4.3 ghz, Asus GTX 560 TI TOP, seasonic x650 gold

Thinking about getting this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462

But I'm willing to spend a little more if that's not a worthwhile enough upgrade for the price from what I have. Preferably 300-500 at the most. Don't know if I should go with the 770 or get something else. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated

Pondering my first (highish to mid?) PC build, but Canadian taxes and prices are causing serious concerns. I would appreciate any cost cutting advice or general assessment of what I have here.

Cheers!

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2B0it
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2B0it/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2B0it/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($205.93 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($80.48 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($266.00 @ Vuugo)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus USB-N13 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($24.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($50.87 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Monitor: Asus VN247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($194.39 @ DirectCanada)
Keyboard: Logitech K360 Wireless Mini Keyboard ($29.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1137.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-14 02:01 EST-0500)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Pondering my first (highish to mid?) PC build, but Canadian taxes and prices are causing serious concerns. I would appreciate any cost cutting advice or general assessment of what I have here.

Cheers!

You may get better WiFi connectivity if you go with a PCI card instead of that USB one. You'll also be limited (considering your ISP bandwidth) by that USB 2.0 interface.

xJavonta

Banned
Buy another 1TB.
I was thinking about that, but I'm pretty sure this drive is dying, this shitty Seagate likes to click whenever there's sudden activity on the drive. Plus, I'm moving to a SFF itx build so I can only have one 3.5" drive and like two or three 2.5" drives (one of which will be an SSD)

Is it better to have 3 4gb ram sticks or an 8gb with a 4gb?
If I remember correctly, having sticks with the same amount of memory is supposed to be more efficient or something. I could be totally wrong
and probably am

I think I'll be calling Amazon tomorrow if I don't see an email that says ''shipped'' come tomorrow morning. The items were supposed to arrive on wed and they still haven't shipped anything other than the case.

I'm looking for a new GPU upgrade but I haven't followed any of this stuff for a while. currently have a 2500k @ 4.3 ghz, Asus GTX 560 TI TOP, seasonic x650 gold

Thinking about getting this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462

But I'm willing to spend a little more if that's not a worthwhile enough upgrade for the price from what I have. Preferably 300-500 at the most. Don't know if I should go with the 770 or get something else. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/858?vs=829

You can see the differences here. It is a massive performance increase. Go higher and the performance increase may be better, but may not be worth so much more. Decide that for yourself since your budget range is quite high.

Hey guys, I was wondering. I was looking for a new monitor (either a single one or a dual monitor set up). My budget is $400 but I could go over that if it's worth it.

From the OP, I was wondering if anyone has ever bought a QNIX QX2710 from Amazon. I realize it's only from third party sellers so I was wondering if anyone had purchased from any of them. I also wanted to know if it'd be better to go with a single one of them over a dual monitor set up of two cheaper monitors like the Asus ones. This is the one I found http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BUI44US/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'd appreciate any help on this since I'm pretty new to buying Monitors.

So, that one happens to be one of those Korean monitors, there is a thread about them on GAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490884

On the last page you can see more mentions of that monitor. The Korean monitors are not scams, but you need to know what you are getting into. Few inputs, no OSD (On Screen Display) to change settings with, warranty is probably annoying and there might be dead pixels depending on what you buy. They are a lot cheaper than what you would get from more established brands though.

For that budget you can also go for a 120/144 Hz screen, if you want to do so. With which you can display framerates higher than 60FPS and with some monitors also enable Lightboost which decreases motion blurring. This is regarded as a gaming monitor and do not offer the same screen quality as those Korean monitors or alternatives in that area.

If you are going to go for dual-screens, which I personally love so much more for workflow, but it also mean you would have two bad monitors compared to one good one. Or take two different ones.

If you go for two cheap ones. Either take two cheap IPS monitors like this one or take two even cheaper TN panels at which point it matters little. Do ask more around if you want to get a cheap IPS monitor, since those monitors are different for me here in Europe so I do not know too much about those.

Also you could go for a bit more expensive IPS screen for the same price of those Korean ones, they will not really compete with those Korean screens in terms of resolution and probably also panel quality, but they will have the extra features and be from a more established brand,

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hi guys, overclockers have an MSI 290 for £299 at the moment, and i'm rather tempted to go for it rather than a 280x. Just wondering, would it fit in a corsair 200r (i'll be using a gigabyte z87x-d3h)?

edit - answered my own question!

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2012/11/15/corsair-carbide-200r-review/1

a follow up from that. is the step up from 280x>290 worth it?
It's got a ton of power behind it, but the stock cooler is not very great. Up to you on how tolerant of noise / blower coolers you are.

I'm thinking about getting a new pc, my current one is dying constantly sooo, here's what I picked in 5 mins.

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 3.4Ghz C ore Q uad Skt1150 6 Mb
Mobo Gigabyte Skt1150 - GA -B85 M -HD3 1
graphic card: Asus GeForce GTX660 DC 2 OC 2Gb GDDR5
PSU NOX NX 620W 1
RAM 2x 4GB (8GB) DDR3 Corsair CL9 V engeance Black P C 3-12800 (16001)
HDD WD SATA III 1TB 7200rpm 64 Mb Blue 6Gb/s
SSD Samsung 840 Evo SATA 120Gb

which will fetch me around 850 euros

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm thinking about getting a new pc, my current one is dying constantly sooo, here's what I picked in 5 mins.

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 3.4Ghz C ore Q uad Skt1150 6 Mb
Mobo Gigabyte Skt1150 - GA -B85 M -HD3 1
graphic card: Asus GeForce GTX660 DC 2 OC 2Gb GDDR5
PSU NOX NX 620W 1
RAM 2x 4GB (8GB) DDR3 Corsair CL9 V engeance Black P C 3-12800 (16001)
HDD WD SATA III 1TB 7200rpm 64 Mb Blue 6Gb/s
SSD Samsung 840 Evo SATA 120Gb

which will fetch me around 850 euros
Suggest you get a Z87 mobo so you can overclock
I've never heard of NOX and it doesn't seem 80+ rated, get an XFX/Seasonic/BeQuiet/eVGA 500B unit instead.

Vlaphor

I'm trying to decide what is the next big purchase I should make. I'm getting a good amount of money on Thursday and I want to upgrade one section of my PC.

Should I go with a new cpu/mobo to replace my I7 930 which I've overclocked to 3.9ghz, or should I get a GTX 770 to replace my GTX 570? I'd be fully willing to overclock the new cpu as well, but I'm not sure what kind of gains I'd get from it compared to my current cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom