• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garou

I'm trying to decide what is the next big purchase I should make. I'm getting a good amount of money on Thursday and I want to upgrade one section of my PC.

Should I go with a new cpu/mobo to replace my I7 930 which I've overclocked to 3.9ghz, or should I get a GTX 770 to replace my GTX 570? I'd be fully willing to overclock the new cpu as well, but I'm not sure what kind of gains I'd get from it compared to my current cpu.

Get the GPU, the CPU is still fine with its overclock.

kharma45

Agreed I'd only upgrade the GPU. That i7 is still great.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)

That's not what I recommended you :p

Durante

I always find myself agreeing with this part of the techreport conclusion when reading about APUs:
We've seen this dynamic with previous APUs, and it's always made for a tough sell on the desktop. Gamers who actually care about graphics performance are better off with discrete video cards that deliver better visuals and smoother frame delivery, while those who don't care about gaming are better served by Intel chips with higher per-thread performance and lower power consumption (which typically leads to lower noise levels.) APUs occupy this awkward middle ground for so-called casual gamers who want something better than an Intel IGP but not as good as a halfway-decent graphics card. As Jerry Seinfeld would say, "who are these people?" Seriously, I've never met one.

At least with low-cost Steam Machines I can see one use case.

MisterM

I get that with a Kaveri you could potentially squeeze into a very small case which would be nice for a Steam Machine but the A10 is apparently £130 where as an i3 and a 7770 would be £160...surely sacrificing a bit of space would be the better option?

Scum

Someone called kharma recommended this for me. Not sure whether to trust his picks though, but here it is.

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2AGQa
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2AGQa/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2AGQa/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£167.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£52.73 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Avexir Core series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£100.00 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£114.08 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£398.35 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case (£115.94 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£108.77 @ CCL Computers)
Other: Windows 8.1 Pro (£15.18)

Total: £1262.93

Any thoughts?

That's not what I recommended you :p

There you are. :p

Someone called kharma recommended this for me. Not sure whether to trust his picks though, but here it is.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Avexir Core series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£59.90 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£100.00 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£114.08 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£108.77 @ CCL Computers)

Any thoughts?

Uh, yes, I'd say he is fairly trustworthy in this thread, to say the least.

The power supply seems like it is maybe a bit much, unless you want to add another card or something later on.

SleazyC

I'm trying to decide what is the next big purchase I should make. I'm getting a good amount of money on Thursday and I want to upgrade one section of my PC.

Should I go with a new cpu/mobo to replace my I7 930 which I've overclocked to 3.9ghz, or should I get a GTX 770 to replace my GTX 570? I'd be fully willing to overclock the new cpu as well, but I'm not sure what kind of gains I'd get from it compared to my current cpu.
CPU is more than enough. I upgraded from a 920 at 4.2GhZ to a 4770K and in games there isn't too much of a different. Going with the GPU should give you a visible and noticeable upgrade. Unless you are doing other CPU intensive tasks (like encoding) I'd stick with the CPU for a little longer.

kharma45

Uh, yes, I'd say he is fairly trustworthy in this thread, to say the least.

The power supply seems like it is maybe a bit much, unless you want to add another card or something later on.

it is but we've nothing else in the UK bar stuff near that price for a Gold one. Bar that you're jumping down to £65 or so for bronze.

corsair rm falls in-between but I've not seen enough of it yet.

scogoth

I try and read these AMD reviews then I just get lost trying to remember what processor is what. I can't keep track of bulldozer, piledriver, steamroller, kaveri, richland....

Tablo

The GPU upgrade would have more of an effect. Get the GTX 770.

Only you can answer that.

Yeah, my answer is looking like a big no. Not a big need to upgrade, rather wait for 4k to become mainstream.

I am looking into doing some more renovations for my gaming area and pc.

So can someone recommend me:

1. A good 750w Modular PSU - the one I have right now isn't modular and is causing a mess around my PC. Will sell it once i get a modular one.
2. Power Surge to safely put in 2 consoles, TV. PC, monitor and PC speakers.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, my answer is looking like a big no. Not a big need to upgrade, rather wait for 4k to become mainstream.

I am looking into doing some more renovations for my gaming area and pc.

So can someone recommend me:

1. A good 750w Modular PSU - the one I have right now isn't modular and is causing a mess around my PC. Will sell it once i get a modular one.
2. Power Surge to safely put in 2 consoles, TV. PC, monitor and PC speakers.
1. One from the OP. Coolermaster V700 perhaps? You certain you need 750W?

2. Something expensive. Just make sure you replace it every two years or so.

bubu

Any thoughts?

I would swap that 780 to a EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked with ACX cooling. Its only £2 more and much better performance.

Derpcrawler

Ok, I have around 1800-2000USD to spend and I thought about building new PC.

Currently I run

Core i7-860
8Gb DDR3-1600
GTX780
250Gb SSD

Now I will just carry over my SSD, but what about GTX780? Is it worth selling it and buying GTX780Ti? Or maybe buy 2nd GTX780? I don't really expect Maxwell to be anything but 28nm so I don't expect to upgrade to it. R9 290 is way too expensive and actually cost as much as 780Ti which is crazy (all those lightcoin miners).

I am also planning on building on new chassis, probably Corsair 750D and want to switch to liquid cooling, probably Corsair H100i or H110, so that will be extra cost. Actually the only things I can carry over from my old PC are SSD and GPU.

Should I build on X79 platform or go for LGA1150 and Core i7 4770k? Or even wait for LGA2011-A? I am confused Gaf, help me built my dream machine
for Hearthstone

It's official, my HD6870 is dead. This time, I'm going to try to nVidia, because it seems to be easier to tweak and more reliable.

My current setup:
Phenom II X4 965 BE
2x 2GB 1600Mhz Gold TXC OCZ
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
PSU 500W Ice Age IA500HP80 3R SYSTEM
Case THERMALTAKE V3 Black Edition

I was thinking about getting a GTX 760, and I found some around R$1000 (those are brazilian prices, don't be scared):
R$ 1000 - GigaByte 9GV-N760OC-2GD REV2.0.
R$ 1200 - MSI N760 HAWK
R$ 1270 - MSI N760 TF 4GD5/OC

I need to consider two things. First, the priority is noise, then temperature, then performance. I'm fine with underclocking if I can get a quieter card. Second, this card will go to a new PC I'll assemble in a few months, so it's not exactly important to "fit in" perfectly in my setup.

Should I get one of those 3? I've heard good things about them. I don't mind having to buy another PSU because I'll have to later anyway.

mkenyon

Banned
1080p and about 300-400 euro. maybe a little more but it's stretching it
For that, you could get a 1440p IPS/PLS panel like the QNIX.

Or you could go less expensive and get something like the Eizo Foris FS2333, which is a 23" IPS panel at 1080p.
It's official, my HD6870 is dead. This time, I'm going to try to nVidia, because it seems to be easier to tweak and more reliable.

My current setup:
Phenom II X4 965 BE
2x 2GB 1600Mhz Gold TXC OCZ
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
PSU 500W Ice Age IA500HP80 3R SYSTEM
Case THERMALTAKE V3 Black Edition

I was thinking about getting a GTX 760, and I found some around R$1000 (those are brazilian prices, don't be scared):
R$ 1000 - GigaByte 9GV-N760OC-2GD REV2.0.
R$ 1200 - MSI N760 HAWK
R$ 1270 - MSI N760 TF 4GD5/OC

I need to consider two things. First, the priority is noise, then temperature, then performance. I'm fine with underclocking if I can get a quieter card. Second, this card will go to a new PC I'll assemble in a few months, so it's not exactly important to "fit in" perfectly in my setup.

Should I get one of those 3? I've heard good things about them. I don't mind having to buy another PSU because I'll have to later anyway.
You can most likely RMA your 6870. NVIDIA/AMD are about equal when it comes to reliability. Not sure what you mean by tweaking though.

Can't go wrong between the three cards you have selected though.

kharma45

That makes sense, can never hurt to pay much on a power supply.

It's a phenomenally good unit. Costs a lot but if you can afford it it's worth it.

The only thing that I think justifies these is an ultra SFF PC that doesn't even have expansion slots. Could be pretty rad.

Compute is a bit underwhelming, but better than I thought based on recent leaks.

What are your thoughts?

Yeah it's... really not wowed me like I thought. I knew what to expect on the GPU front but I had hoped better performance on the CPU side but since they've held back the clock speeds it negates the IPC boost that Steamroller brings.

I would swap that 780 to a EVGA GTX 780 Superclocked with ACX cooling. Its only £2 more and much better performance.

Good catch.

Ok, I have around 1800-2000USD to spend and I thought about building new PC.

Currently I run

Core i7-860
8Gb DDR3-1600
GTX780
250Gb SSD

Now I will just carry over my SSD, but what about GTX780? Is it worth selling it and buying GTX780Ti? Or maybe buy 2nd GTX780? I don't really expect Maxwell to be anything but 28nm so I don't expect to upgrade to it. R9 290 is way too expensive and actually cost as much as 780Ti which is crazy (all those lightcoin miners).

I am also planning on building on new chassis, probably Corsair 750D and want to switch to liquid cooling, probably Corsair H100i or H110, so that will be extra cost. Actually the only things I can carry over from my old PC are SSD and GPU.

Should I build on X79 platform or go for LGA1150 and Core i7 4770k? Or even wait for LGA2011-A? I am confused Gaf, help me built my dream machine
for Hearthstone

If your 780 is still doing the business for you stick with it.

If it were me I'd just overclock your i7 and wait for 2011-A if you want to go big with a new machine.

You can most likely RMA your 6870. NVIDIA/AMD are about equal when it comes to reliability. Not sure what you mean by tweaking though.

Can't go wrong between the three cards you have selected though.
How does that work? I don't know if they'll offer support for an out of warranty product bought in Paraguay years ago. I don't think I have the receipt, even.

By tweaking I mean those inspectors or whatsitsname and configuration tools for games. Everytime I see a tutorial it's for nVidia cards. I never did much research, it just stands out.

Does MSI make much of a difference to justify the 20%+ price increase? I can pickup the Gigabyte one myself and not rely on shipping so I'm leaning towards it.

Derpcrawler

If your 780 is still doing the business for you stick with it.

If it were me I'd just overclock your i7 and wait for 2011-A if you want to go big with a new machine.

I am playing at 1440p and sometimes I feel I could use 5-10 more FPS to make gaming more consistent on top of random dips in FPS in CPU intensive games.

When is 2011-A releasing? Wasn't that end of 2014? And CPUs will probably cost insane amounts 400-500USD for 6 core at least on top of DDR4, so that might be out of my budget even if I go for something like GTX870 or whatever there will be. How really useful 2011-A and 6-8 cores will be in gaming?

kharma45

I am playing at 1440p and sometimes I feel I could use 5-10 more FPS to make gaming more consistent on top of random dips in FPS in CPU intensive games.

When is 2011-A releasing? Wasn't that end of 2014? And CPUs will probably cost insane amounts 400-500USD for 6 core at least on top of DDR4, so that might be out of my budget even if I go for something like GTX870 or whatever there will be. How really useful 2011-A and 6-8 cores will be in gaming?

Is your i7 just running at stock speeds though? You could easily take that CPU from 2.8GHz to 3.8GHz for the sake of $25 or so and likely get the boost you need from it if you haven't already done so.

Yes 2011-A will be the second half of this year, probably September. A 6 core one of those you'd be talking $300 probably, but the cost of DDR4 I can't really guess at. Probably similar to DDR3 when it first launched. The usefulness of 6 cores is few and far between in most titles at present, hell even going for an i7 4770K is overkill since most games can't take advantage of all the threads it offers either.

Derpcrawler

Is your i7 just running at stock speeds though? You could easily take that CPU from 2.8GHz to 3.8GHz for the sake of $25 or so and likely get the boost you need from it if you haven't already done so.

Yes 2011-A will be the second half of this year, probably September. A 6 core one of those you'd be talking $300 probably, but the cost of DDR4 I can't really guess at. Probably similar to DDR3 when it first launched. The usefulness of 6 cores is few and far between in most titles at present, hell even going for an i7 4770K is overkill since most games can't take advantage of all the threads it offers either.

My Core i7 runs at 3.6Ghz, I can push it to 3.8 but I feel it's not very stable and pretty loud.

kharma45

My Core i7 runs at 3.6Ghz, I can push it to 3.8 but I feel it's not very stable and pretty loud.

No worries. Not all chips can do it, 3.6 is still respectable. In that case if it's still holding you back a 4770K would be a nice upgrade. Talking... 25% clock for clock as well as clocking higher too.

Tablo

No worries. Not all chips can do it, 3.6 is still respectable. In that case if it's still holding you back a 4770K would be a nice upgrade. Talking... 25% clock for clock as well as clocking higher too.

Don't forget he'll also be getting USB 3.0/Sata III, coming from someone who's also on X58, I await having faster USB with bated breath.
And he could move to a smaller build and not have a omnipresent space heater :D
I say go for the GPU if the aforementioned aren't a huge deal, if you can hang on until 2015 for CPU you'll be very very happy.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
:/
Was hoping for a lot more tbh.
Even through they are just previews I want gaming + discrete graphics testing. At least you can OC the thing to what seems about 4.2Ghz for $153, hopefully the problem Anandtech had with the power delivery getting too hot isn't a problem, CPU wattage much lower.

mkenyon

Banned
ASRock mobo used in the Anand review:

ldty4TY.png

I'm thinking the GB UP4 might do better.

EKjBbVw.png

Heatsink design definitely better. Don't know what the difference is on the actual MOSFETs though.

Worth delaying a 790 and G-Sync 1440p to test? mmmmmmmm...........................................

Hey everyone. I'm new to the PC stuff and need help building a PC that would be perfect for video editing, streaming in HD and playing games in at least 60fps 1080p. My budget is 1000-1200 USD.

yatesl

Odd problem with some homeplugs I have. Overtime, the speed will slow down to about 1 MB/s (I have an Internet speed of ~8MB/s). If I then unplug the ethernet cable from the plug, then plug it straight back in, it will jump up to between 3~6 MB/s.

I put the slower speeds down to weird wiring, but why would it deteriorate over time? It's not even like I unplug the homeplug itself (it's a pass through one, with the extension with my PC plugged in to it).

Vlaphor

One more quick question before I start doing some serious pricing (though I'll probably just get it at Microcenter). I game at 1080p, should I go with the 2gb GTX 770, or the 4gb?

kennah

One more quick question before I start doing some serious pricing (though I'll probably just get it at Microcenter). I game at 1080p, should I go with the 2gb GTX 770, or the 4gb?

How much do you like money? If they're close in price go for it, if it's 40-50 don't bother. (And you should be getting a 760 anyway, the 770 and the 760 are very close in performance, so it's up to you if 15-20% performance increase is worth an extra $100 to you)

Hanzou

Tried doing research online but cannot find any info. What kind of games would I see by going to 8gb from the 4gb of ram I have now? I am running a 7870 and an i5 760 @3.3ghz. Was thinking of making it a small upgrade until I possibly totally rebuild later this year or next.

kennah

Tried doing research online but cannot find any info. What kind of games would I see by going to 8gb from the 4gb of ram I have now? I am running a 7870 and an i5 760 @3.3ghz. Was thinking of making it a small upgrade until I possibly totally rebuild later this year or next.

Depends on what you do with your computer. You probably wouldn't see much of an improvement in games, but potentially an improvement in multitasking as you use Windows.

Few games would benefit from it, since most don't even have 64 bit versions.

I think you can enable Skyrim to do so, and BF4 has one.

But there are few, you probably won't really notice a different with regards to gaming, it will make a difference if you run a lot of programs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom