• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not easy case but it can be done!

RAM and heatsink first then a long magnetic philips screwdriver with hands of a surgeon. Then a needle nose pliers for the washers of the wifi screws on the rear panel.

Then you're (sort of) home free. Then you just need to jam you hand to plug in the mobo power and sata cables.

Looks like you got together anyways though!

Yeah I just didn't expect it to be the learning experience that it was. Now I know how to do it and could do it again easily but that first time through SUCKED. Lots of pulling the board in and out to reorder what I was doing. It's really like completing a mildly difficult puzzle.

Just bought my first SSD today!!! it's the Samsumg 840 EVO Sata III 250GB. Just a few questions for fellow gaffers:

Do you guys recommend a fresh install of everything? I don't mind doing this since I'm running on a backup drive anyways after my old drive fried.

Do you guys go ahead and install the entire game file on the SSD? Or do you guys somehow manage to break up the portions of the game that benefits from the SSD from the ones that don't?

What types of file should I install on the traditional hard drive? Im guessing I should save all of my word documents, movies, itunes music, etc. on the traditional hard drive.

not answering the other questions 'cos i personally haven't actually used an SSD that was actually mine yet

What types of file should I install on the traditional hard drive? Im guessing I should save all of my word documents, movies, itunes music, etc. on the traditional hard drive.

yeah, any file that takes a crapton of space or gets written/edited constantly goes on mechanical HDDs

(though evidently, the applications you're using to write/edit those files can go on the SSD)

Just bought my first SSD today!!! it's the Samsumg 840 EVO Sata III 250GB. Just a few questions for fellow gaffers:

Do you guys recommend a fresh install of everything? I don't mind doing this since I'm running on a backup drive anyways after my old drive fried.

Do you guys go ahead and install the entire game file on the SSD? Or do you guys somehow manage to break up the portions of the game that benefits from the SSD from the ones that don't?

If you're installing the OS to that drive, you should absolutely do a fresh install. It's possible to switch everything over without a reinstall but IMO it's not worth the trouble. The only things I tend to install on the SSD are games that I'm currently playing and any performance intensive programs. I use steamtool to transfer game installs to and from the SSD.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

Welcome to the SSD club. :)

In the two SSDs I use: I did a fresh install on my laptop, but did a clone job for my desktop. It depends on your circumstances (I didn't feel like reinstalling everything on the desktop.) Just make sure you keep backups regardless.

And I'd recommend putting your most commonly-used files, applications, games, etc on the SSD. Everything else can go on bigger drives (my desktop uses a 64GB SSD, with a 1TB HDD for games, and another 1TB HDD for movies, music, etc.)

ss_lemonade

What I normally do is move User folders like Documents, Pictures, Downloads etc to the mechanical drive. Just right click them then go to Properties > Location to move the folders around.

IceIpor

If you decide to go fresh, you can move the hidden user appdata folders too. Just choose create new empty folder instead of move/copy, otherwise you're going to run into permission errors.
Games: only the ones that have long loading times. Everything else can remain on mechanical. Same with programs.

EDIT: If you do move the appdata folders, I suggest restarting once. Cause your wallpaper settings are going to be messed up until you do.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Getting a gtx 770 on monday. Is it really worth investing ~$150 extra for 4gb versions ?

Water

yeah, any file that takes a crapton of space or gets written/edited constantly goes on mechanical HDDs
If your SSD comfortably fits them, large files that get written/edited constantly should be on SSD too. 3-5x higher write speed.

(Try not to fill the SSD to the brim, though. Never going below 15-20% empty space will keep the SSD faster and decrease wear - the exact amount depends on the design of the SSD, these numbers are for the usual Samsung SSDs.)

Xdrive05

Getting a gtx 770 on monday. Is it really worth investing ~$150 extra for 4gb versions ?

Are you sure about that math? When I got my 770 4GB, it was $30 more than the 2GB version. That might have been a sale or something, but $150 doesn't sound right.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
$150 more? It's like $50 more.

Are you sure about that math? When I got my 770 4GB, it was $30 more than the 2GB version. That might have been a sale or something, but $150 doesn't sound right.

Let's just say I'm not living in the states.

In Norway (in the shop I'm looking to buy it in), the 770 2gb costs 2.889,- NOK and the 4gb costs 3.699,- NOK. The difference (800NOK) translates to roughly $123.

LtOrange

Then you are good to go, raise your voltage to something around 1.3V and set your multiplier to around 44, and then let Prime95 (In-place large FFT) run for 30 Minutes and see if your temps stay under 80C. If it crashes, try adjusting the voltage and multiplier a bit.

I think I am going to work on over clocking my CPU this weekend and order a GTX 770. Thanks for the help!

Crub

I've finally got my desktop hooked up to my TV for that true comfy couch experience. Is there any way I can make it so my TV speakers automatically becomes the default audio device when my TV is turned on, and then have it revert back to my desktop speakers once turned off, or will I have to manually switch every time?

Buzzman

Banned
I've finally got my desktop hooked up to my TV for that true comfy couch experience. Is there any way I can make it so my TV speakers automatically becomes the default audio device when my TV is turned on, and then have it revert back to my desktop speakers once turned off, or will I have to manually switch every time?

It should already work like that if you have the tv as the main sound output.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Let's just say I'm not living in the states.

In Norway (in the shop I'm looking to buy it in), the 770 2gb costs 2.889,- NOK and the 4gb costs 3.699,- NOK. The difference (800NOK) translates to roughly $123.

If it's the same percentage increase as in the US, I'd go for it. Actually, I did go for it. But if that $150 means you'd be much closer to a 780 instead, I'd do that.

FRACTAL R4 ON SALE FOR $80 @ NEWEGG - PROMO CODE EMCPEWA24

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-050914-Index-_-ComputerCases-_-11352020-L0B

*edit* attempt 2

I am thinking about picking up this, a BP550, and a 2 TB hard drive just to move my stuff over for now. I want to build in a few months, but for now, my case/PSU are both noisy and I'd like an improvement. Anything wrong with the HD? It's just for storage. My main drive is a 250GB Samsung 840.

I am considering buying my friend's gtx580 for cheap to hold me over for a bit, should the BP550 cover that? What about the more recent cards (780, etc)? I'll be sticking to single card.

LtOrange

So I followed the link in the OP to the thread about Overclocking. The Overclocking guide within that thread seems to be a dead link. Does anyone else have a guide they would recommend?

Hey guys,

So, I posted earlier in the thread about a build I'm doing for a dual-boot Hackintosh/Windows machine. I haven't gotten any of the components yet, mostly because the motherboard I had looked into is in the process of going EOL, and the replacement Z97 motherboard will be half the price.

Anyway, here is my non-final build. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3C7sT

- I know the case apparently won't fit the motherboard. Still looking for a good case, with good airflow that will also run as silently as possible.

- Thinking of getting an aftermarket CPU cooler of some sort, either water or air. Not sure what yet.

Here's my question for the day. Newegg has a pretty decent deal on the EVGA 780Ti w/ ACX Cooler this weekend (679.99 after a $20 mail-in-rebate, and free Watch Dogs). However, I'm not ready to build this system out for another month or so, maybe 6 weeks. Would it be ill advised to pick this up and just not touch it for 6 weeks? Would I still be able to RMA it with Newegg if it proves to be DOA? Or should I just wait until I'm ready to buy the components (therefore missing out on the sale, the card is usually around 729.99).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If it's the same percentage increase as in the US, I'd go for it. Actually, I did go for it. But if that $150 means you'd be much closer to a 780 instead, I'd do that.

It's actually very close (NOK 200) to the cheapest 780 3gb card

oti

Banned
So ok, I'm done with saving money. 1000€ for my first Gaming PC. I have absolutely no clue whatsoever, every time I look up graphics cards my head explodes. Here's my question:
Are the Watch Dogs Ultra Recommendations a good starting point for a PC for the next few years? I wanted to just chose the components and let a website build the PC for me, but EVERY SINGLE PERSON told me that was a bad idea ("save your money, build a better PC" etc.)

Ultra Requirements
Core i7-4770K 4-Core 3.5GHz
GeForce GTX 780
8 GB GD RAM
Win 7 64
DX 11

kharma45

So ok, I'm done with saving money. 1000€ for my first Gaming PC. I have absolutely no clue whatsoever, every time I look up graphics cards my head explodes. Here's my question:
Are the Watch Dogs Ultra Recommendations a good starting point for a PC for the next few years? I wanted to just chose the components and let a website build the PC for me, but EVERY SINGLE PERSON told me that was a bad idea ("save your money, build a better PC" etc.)

Ultra Requirements
Core i7-4770K 4-Core 3.5GHz
GeForce GTX 780
8 GB GD RAM
Win 7 64
DX 11

What country are you in? What sites would you generally use for parts?

That'd be a very solid set up btw. 4770K is overkill atm but by no means a bad buy. Devil's Canyon isn't far off if you're in no rush and should bring us better OCing ability.

oti

Banned
What country are you in? What sites would you generally use for parts?

That'd be a very solid set up btw. 4770K is overkill atm but by no means a bad buy. Devil's Canyon isn't far off if you're in no rush and should bring us better OCing ability.

Germany. I have absolutely no idea about the sites question. The cheapest ones, I guess?

Skyzard

Banned
I'm thinking of pumping up my 4.2 oc 4770K (3.5 stock) to 4.5 GHz. Any ideas on the lifetime impact if I keep the temperatures below 80-85?

oti xero, that's what I went with. - Actually, 16GB ram

oti

Banned
So I used the Watch Dogs requirements and found a shop that is either the cheapest or near cheapest online (Germany). Here's the result. I found another site that would build that exact PC for me for 150€. I don't know what to do. And it's a bit over my budget oh well.

Josman

Hyper 212 evo or Hyper T4 for an i5 4670k?

The 212 evo seems to be more popular but I can get the Hyper T4 $10 cheaper and it's in one of the builds in the OP.

And how silent are they?

So I used the Watch Dogs requirements and found a shop that is either the cheapest or near cheapest online (Germany). Here's the result. I found another site that would build that exact PC for me for 150€. I don't know what to do. And it's a bit over my budget oh well.

Alternate.de and hardwareversand.de are both cheaper than mindfactory. Also, you might consider using geizhals.de and carefully compare prices of the hardware you wanna buy. Might end up saving 30-100€ that way. (btw the mindfactory link doesn't work)

Also, build it yourself, there are so many tutorials on the web, chances to fail are fairly low for someone who has no clue about that stuff.

Also, an i5 would be a bit cheaper and is still enough for gaming.

oti

Banned
Alternate.de and hardwareversand.de are both cheaper than mindfactory. Also, you might consider using geizhals.de and carefully compare prices of the hardware you wanna buy. Might end up saving 30-100€ that way. (btw the mindfactory link doesn't work)

Also, build it yourself, there are so many tutorials on the web, chances to fail are fairly low for someone who has no clue about that stuff.

Also, an i5 would be a bit cheaper and is still enough for gaming.

I just chose mindfactory in order so save shipping costs, thanks, I'll check them out. i5 then, ok.

I just chose mindfactory in order so save shipping costs, thanks, I'll check them out. i5 then, ok.

Go for something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate
Memory: Corsair/G.Skill/GeiL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333/1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung EVO 840 120gb
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 TWiN Frozr
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case (or whatever suits your look, but pay attention to the max. GPU/CPU cooler length/high
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer

And a cooler from Alpenföhn Brocken/Brocken 2 or Noctua nh 14

This way you can OC it

oti

Banned
Go for something like this:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate
Memory: Corsair/G.Skill/GeiL 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333/1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung EVO 840 120gb
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 TWiN Frozr
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case (or whatever suits your look, but pay attention to the max. GPU/CPU cooler length/high
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer

And a cooler from Alpenföhn Brocken/Brocken 2 or Noctua nh 14

This way you can OC it

Thanks, I'll look up the parts. I'm still asking myself though what I really want. I could also just build a mid-range PC to play my Steam backlog (how did it get so huge without a proper PC?) play a newerish game here and there on lower settings and upgrade at a later point. I want a PS4 but there just aren't enough games I'm interested in right now. I won't buy the Xbox One so I have a budget of around 1000€ for the PC. I usually buy and sell my games to finance new game purchases, but PC games are always way cheaper.

xBladeM6x

If I'm going to be gaming in 5760x1080 (across three screens obviously), what would be more ideal? x2 780 6GB, or x2 780 ti 3GB

jakomocha

So, what's the general consensus on buying GPU's used? i found a EVGA GTX 780 Ti (not Classified or Superclocked or anything as far as I can tell) for $540 on Craigslist, is this a good deal? How is the EVGA GTX 780 Ti? I can hardly find anything about that specific model.

SHADES

Hmm, I wouldn't have picked the 4770 and a B85 motherboard over a 4760k and a Z87, but I'm glad your build will be made up of reliable quality parts now :D

I nearly did but after asking myself some questions about overclocking ( I'm pretty sure I don't want to be OC'ing) so I just didn't see the point of going with a k & z series if I wasn't going to utilise them and that way my budget (very stretched already lol) could be put to use elsewhere.

I'm just not that confident in myself and after using the 3770 for a while think it's more than my needs ATM, but especially to you Dude thanks for all the help and pointing me in the right direction.

I'm dreading all the build questions to come later next week! Haha.

So, what's the general consensus on buying GPU's used? i found a EVGA GTX 780 Ti (not Classified or Superclocked or anything as far as I can tell) for $540 on Craigslist, is this a good deal? How is the EVGA GTX 780 Ti? I can hardly find anything about that specific model.

I believe EVGA warranty transfers. I would want to see it in action before I decided to buy it though. Usually with these things they work or they don't. Check each video output and check fan operation.

kennah

I nearly did but after asking myself some questions about overclocking ( I'm pretty sure I don't want to be OC'ing) so I just didn't see the point of going with a k & z series if I wasn't going to utilise them and that way my budget (very stretched already lol) could be put to use elsewhere.

I'm just not that confident in myself and after using the 3770 for a while think it's more than my needs ATM, but especially to you Dude thanks for all the help and pointing me in the right direction.

Should've checked in with us. The Xeon is basically a non overclocking i7 that doesn't have a built in gpu for $100 cheaper.

Gvaz

Banned
So, there's been no issues then with larger hard drives like 4TB or was the whole 3TB issue from a yearish ago just bad luck?

Stubo

You're welcome :) As long as you watch the build videos in the OP you should be fine. Any issues you face have probably been experienced by lots of us in the thread so I'm sure we'll be able to iron them out for you too!
So, there's been no issues then with larger hard drives like 4TB or was the whole 3TB issue from a yearish ago just bad luck?
None of them are as good as the Samsung drives used to be. If you want to be sure that your data isn't going to disappear, grab 2 and raid or backup to an external etc.

SHADES

Should've checked in with us. The Xeon is basically a non overclocking i7 that doesn't have a built in gpu for $100 cheaper.

Hmm, I didn't know that, thanks. I've just had a look though and a Xeon with the same frequency is only about £10 cheaper for me via pcpartpicker but that search was only done with compatible on so maybe I'm not looking hard enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom