• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvaz

Banned
My build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3HGVl

Video card is an MSI GTX 670 PE.

I have done troubleshooting in the past but I never found any roots to my problems.

Sorry man. Working in tech support all i can say is it sometimes is the hardware, but if anything it's the software you have on your system if the hardware itself is fine.

Then again, maybe i'm jaded by people installing third party shit that fucks up their system 15 times a day <_<

Pop

CPU- AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard- MSI A78M-E35 Micro ATX FM2+
Memory- G.Skill Value 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 x2
Storage- Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card- MSI Radeon R7 260X 2GB
Case- Raidmax ATX-248NWU (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower
Power Supply- Corsair 430W ATX12V
Total- $430(at the time)

That's my first build about two weeks ago. I really wanted a system to game with at 1080p with reasonable settings. So far I've been able to play PS2, WoW, DayZ etc..at max or close to in 1080p with no less then 30fps, mostly at 60fps plus. I don't know how budget builds are treated around here but I've read plenty of places saying you need $700..$800 and up if you want a reasonable gaming pc. I'm extremely pleased at this build, exceeded my expectations. Just wanted to share the information to people looking at pc builds.

sry for double post

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Based on Phanteks site, the new Enthoo Pro will be releasing on the 21st. They have an option for pre-orders on there as well. $99 for window and $89 for non-window.

http://www.phanteksusa.com/products/phanteks-enthoo-pro

DSC_0155_1024x1024.png
Enthoo-Pro_2_1024x1024.jpg

I am seriously considering picking up the non-window for my future build. The option set is great and difficult to beat for the price.

Review: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2014/05/06/phanteks-enthoo-pro-review/1

xBladeM6x

I'm curious, what's the best Mobo under $200 that is LGA1155 for a i7-3770k, preferably red / black themed, or just flat black, and has x2 PCI-E slots. I was looking at the Asrock Z77 Extreme4, but I figured I'd ask here first. I prefer Asus / Gigabyte / Asrock.

Gambit61

So I received my RMA'd 7870XT on May 7th and it looks like it stopped producing artifacts in random games. Instead this happens when I randomly open a page with a flash video inside. The primary monitor goes crazy and stays that way unless I reboot. Is there anything I should try before requesting another RMA?

Edit: OMG This just happened right in the middle of me typing this post. I had NYCfurby streaming in Chrome then opened a vimeo link on Firefox. I'll try using just chrome for a day or two and see if it's firefox causing these crashes.
http://youtu.be/aStqvkQVIeM

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So a kind gaffer linked me this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202081

It requires a 6 pin power cable right? If my computer used to have a 4800 it probably doesn't have that power cable, but if I just swap the one I have with a 6 prong one everything will still work fine right? Or would I need a new motherboard or who knows what?
It has a Molex to 6-pin and you probably have an open 6 pin.
Total- $430(at the time)

That's my first build about two weeks ago. I really wanted a system to game with at 1080p with reasonable settings. So far I've been able to play PS2, WoW, DayZ etc..at max or close to in 1080p with no less then 30fps, mostly at 60fps plus. I don't know how budget builds are treated around here but I've read plenty of places saying you need $700..$800 and up if you want a reasonable gaming pc. I'm extremely pleased at this build, exceeded my expectations. Just wanted to share the information to people looking at pc builds.

sry for double post
$700 gets you something much more well rounded, but dropping a 260X or 750Ti into anything with a recent CPU produces a solid gaming machine today!
Based on Phanteks site, the new Enthoo Pro will be releasing on the 21st. They have an option for pre-orders on there as well. $99 for window and $89 for non-window.

http://www.phanteksusa.com/products/phanteks-enthoo-pro

I am seriously considering picking up the non-window for my future build. The option set is great and difficult to beat for the price.

Review: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2014/05/06/phanteks-enthoo-pro-review/1
It seems like a fantastic case. HWC has a video review of it as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBhmn21ylkc

Also hope I didn't rag on your Tusk too much, just having a Melee support with a bad stun is like usually not good.
I'm curious, what's the best Mobo under $200 that is LGA1155 for a i7-3770k, preferably red / black themed, or just flat black, and has x2 PCI-E slots. I was looking at the Asrock Z77 Extreme4, but I figured I'd ask here first. I prefer Asus / Gigabyte / Asrock.
ASUS Gene no question about it. (I have one)
So I received my RMA'd 7870XT on May 7th and it looks like it stopped producing artifacts in random games. Instead this happens when I randomly open a page with a flash video inside. The primary monitor goes crazy and stays that way unless I reboot. Is there anything I should try before requesting another RMA?

Edit: OMG This just happened right in the middle of me typing this post.
http://youtu.be/aStqvkQVIeM
Yo your shits fucked.
Dedust your case, try another PCI-E slot and cable if possible.

Gambit61

It has a Molex to 6-pin and you probably have an open 6 pin.

Yo your shits fucked.
Dedust your case, try another PCI-E slot and cable if possible.

The day I received the card I dusted out my case and unfortunately I only have one PCI-E slot. I think it's either the card or some weird firefox/flash bug. I've had it since October 2013 and its been fine until I had to send it in for RMA in April. While the card was away I reinstalled my GTX 460 and had zero issues playing games or watching streams. It looks like when I sent my 7870 XT in for RMA they just flashed an older bios, 28. My card was on bios 32 when I first bought it. It also looks like they locked the Memory Clock to 1361 (it was 1500 stock).

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ah, that happened while doing something in the browser? If you can blow out your one PCI-E slot do it to.

Yeah I'd uninstall your browsers, Flash, graphic drivers, run a ccleaner, reboot, and give it another go.

Does it happen in Chrome? IIRC it uses it's own Flash install.

Gambit61

Ah, that happened while doing something in the browser? If you can blow out your one PCI-E slot do it to.

Yeah I'd uninstall your browsers, Flash, graphic drivers, run a ccleaner, reboot, and give it another go.

Does it happen in Chrome? IIRC it uses it's own Flash install.

Yeah this happens randomly when I open a page with flash in Firefox. I'll try rebooting everything.

That is untrue, they only thing they max out SATA3 with is sequential read and write speeds, other things that are just as important, if not more so (like 4K reads) only pull 20~30MB/s.

Yeah, I think I'll wait for the new models. Hopefully it's just around the corner.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is here a HTPC thread anywhere, or is it covered in here?

Curious how small and quiet you could build something mainly for HTPC use and as a steam streaming client, but perhaps some light gaming natively (minecraft, maybe some indie stuff)

Could you get anywhere near a Mac mini form factor? Is the Intel NUC range a decent option vs self-build?

Curious how small and quiet you could build something mainly for HTPC use and as a steam streaming client, but perhaps some light gaming natively (minecraft, maybe some indie stuff)

Could you get anywhere near a Mac mini form factor? Is the Intel NUC range a decent option vs self-build?

I have an Intel NUC with a small SSD and it's dead silent. Certainly a very good HTPC option. I didn't play on it just yet but you gave me a good idea, I think it will be a decent option for small-ish indie games/Steam Big Picture.
I have the Haswell-NUC (i3).

Total- $430(at the time)

Finally someone who shares my opinion. Sure the newest i5 and a 3gig GPU can be awesome for gaming at 60fps+ at 1080p+, with everything maxed out, AA and stuff.
But then again, people who don't plan to go bigger than 1080p (or at least for now) are well suited with an AMD which costs half of the i5 and a mid-range GPU below 300bucks.
I'm running an old HD5870 (late 2009s) and it still works like a charme for the newest games. Ofc not on ultra settings with 120fps, but for me it ain't worth 300bucks to upgrade to something better as of now. Will think about this in fall/winter when the big Maxwells hit the market,

It's covered in this thread. Idk about Mac mini ff, but you can get a decent 1080p rig in a shoebox which is quiet silent.

Coreda

Oh man what a night! All I have to say is screw Hadron, screw mITX, screw EVGA CPU cooler, and double screw the Asus Impact backplate. What a nightmare working in the Hadron case with an elevated cooler, so stupid on my part. This case is tight, tight, tight.

Next to big brother.
ej7pzYF.jpg

It really is a compact case. Still enjoyed the challenge of cable management somewhat, but there are some very tight squeezes (and visiting my 'happy place' moments :p). Ended up writing a guide over on overclock.net about the case, as I was collecting as much info as I could before building my system so as to not run into any difficulties.

LordAlu

You could take a look at something like the Gigabyte Brix range too, they do a Pro series with Intel Iris graphics.

zbarron

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/120098/tigerdirect---pny-geforce-gtx-760-oc-2gb-gddr5-video-card
GTX 760 $219AR

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/120118/tigerdirect---intel-core-i5-4670-processor-asus-b85m-g-motherboard-2x-4gb-adata-ddr3-1600
i5-4670, 8GB RAM, ASUS B85M-G Motherboard, 2x 120mm case fans $265 AR
NOTE: This is the 4670, not the 4670K so to the best of my knowledge no overclocking allowed.

Thought I'd post this here because they are really good deals and if you finish off this build with a HDD, case and PSU you can have a pretty great gaming PC in the $600-$700 range.

Is it bad that I'm hoping NVIDIA drops those later rather than sooner (as in October or later)?

mostly because I'd like at least a couple months of not wondering if I should've waited :(

Going for a silent ssf build and can't need hungry/high temperature cards. Gonna take a while to release an aftermarket cooler which runs silent too.

So nope, they can take their time to optimize the shit out of them. End of winter would be ok too.

Hieberrr

Hi guys, I need to buy a new computer for work this year and was wondering whether to get a Macbook Air for writing and a PC for heavy lifting, e.g., video editing.

Do you think buying the parts piecemeal over the year would be a terrible idea? Better to save and get them all at once?

What happened to the steam machines? Are they all as bad value as Dell Alienwares? Not to say that Dells are bad per se, but I'm on a budget and building is definitely much cheaper. Nevertheless, the steam machines seemed to have vanished in a puff smoke recently.
Buying the parts throughout the year is a good idea IMO if you can wait that long and if you are dead set on the parts that you want. Otherwise, you'll want to get the best available parts when they are available and you won't save any money.

xBladeM6x

I'm assuming you mean the Maximus V Gene. Looks really nice. The only thing I am a little iffy on, is the fact that there's no DVI / VGA port on it, just in case something goes wrong. Either way, I'll definitely be keeping this one in mind. Especially because it looks badass. :D

Edit: Also, that it's a Micro-ATX form factor, which concerns me when trying to fit it into a mid-large case, and two huge nvidia cards. :/

ACE 1991

Just graduated from college and I have some money to upgrade my GPU. what is the best card for 1080p gaming at $350 maximum? I hope I can get something to run games on high at 30 frames for at least 2 years but next gen is scaring me. Would it be better to wait a couple of months?

kennah

The board is designed for SLI. Full ATX is quickly becoming pointless.

A moment of silence for my FallOut New Vegas. None of my saves are loading :(

xBladeM6x

Just graduated from college and I have some money to upgrade my GPU. what is the best card for 1080p gaming at $350 maximum? I hope I can get something to run games on high at 30 frames for at least 2 years but next gen is scaring me. Would it be better to wait a couple of months?

If you wanted something right now, I'd say, this; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130945 If you can shell out another 50$ that is. Also, this card would crush almost every game at max, minus a select extremely GPU heavy games, like Crysis 3. Those would be run at high.

The board is designed for SLI. Full ATX is quickly becoming pointless.

A moment of silence for my FallOut New Vegas. None of my saves are loading :(
I assume you're talking to me about the Asus Maximus V Gene mobo? If so, does Micro-ATX properly fit ATX cases and such, or is that just a pipedream of mine? :p

For 350 you'll get plenty of selections for GPUs.

Anything at 250 and above will do the job, 1080p at 60fps+
Post your whole build so we can give you the best help.
PSU? CPU? Board? Case (for max. GPU length)? ..

//
If you wanted something right now, I'd say, this; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130945 If you can shell out another 50$ that is. Also, this card would crush almost every game at max, minus a select extremely GPU heavy games, like Crysis 3. Those would be run at high.
4gig on a 770 is most likely the biggest waste of 40bucks you could do. Except for playing skyrim with xx mods.

The 800 series from nVidia is rumored to be released this fall, correct? Trying to decide what to do for a replacement to my 560Ti 1 GB... It is a tad long in the tooth whereas the rest of my rig is holding up nicely (OC'd 2500k and 8 GB 1600 MHz RAM).

The 800 series from nVidia is rumored to be released this fall, correct? Trying to decide what to do for a replacement to my 560Ti 1 GB... It is a tad long in the tooth whereas the rest of my rig is holding up nicely (OC'd 2500k and 8 GB 1600 MHz RAM).

Correct.
I don't expect cards with quality aftermarket coolers in stock before winter though.

xBladeM6x

//
4gig on a 770 is most likely the biggest waste of 40bucks you could do. Except for playing skyrim with xx mods.

He said next gen was scaring him, and a lot of high end games are recommending their games to be run with 3GB cards. Might as well give him something with some legs.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/120098/tigerdirect---pny-geforce-gtx-760-oc-2gb-gddr5-video-card
GTX 760 $219AR

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/120118/tigerdirect---intel-core-i5-4670-processor-asus-b85m-g-motherboard-2x-4gb-adata-ddr3-1600
i5-4670, 8GB RAM, ASUS B85M-G Motherboard, 2x 120mm case fans $265 AR
NOTE: This is the 4670, not the 4670K so to the best of my knowledge no overclocking allowed.

Thought I'd post this here because they are really good deals and if you finish off this build with a HDD, case and PSU you can have a pretty great gaming PC in the $600-$700 range.

Thanks for the post. Anything in here that looks bad? I'm itching to build a new system but I can't see myself buying something with less performance or paying much more for a K processor + mobo. Thinking about putting it in a Define R4.

Edit: nm, out of stock.

ACE 1991

//

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($190 @ MicroCenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-G1 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar TZ68A+ ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6950 1GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

I'm mostly concerned about next gen performance, the 770 might be a good choice.

riflen

I assume you're talking to me about the Asus Maximus V Gene mobo? If so, does Micro-ATX properly fit ATX cases and such, or is that just a pipedream of mine? :p

Define properly fit. Documentation for your case will state if it supports a board that uses the micro ATX form factor, but I've yet to come across an ATX case that doesn't have mounts for micro ATX.

My Gene V has served me really well. I've used it to SLI 2-slot GPUs without an issue. If you're not water cooling the GPUs, you might want to choose cards with a blower-style cooler. There is only 1 slot separating the two PCI-E ports, so the cards will sit very close to each other.

So, I posted in here a while back and asked some of you guys what kind if build I should create wit 2000 bucks. Would you guys still recommend Haz's Enthusiast build?

Stubo

So, I posted in here a while back and asked some of you guys what kind if build I should create wit 2000 bucks. Would you guys still recommend Haz's Enthusiast build?
If you can wait just over 3 weeks there will be 4690k and 4790k CPUs to replace the 4670k and 4770k, along with the Z97 motherboards which launched today I think? But otherwise yes.

You should be able to fit a few luxuries in with that budget like a 780Ti and a nice case depending on your preferences and if you think you'd utilise the extra power.

Mohasus

I can't update/install/repair DirectX (windows 8.1). So every time I open a game on steam, it'll be stuck trying to install this.

If I try to open the .exe manually (or download a new one from MS site), it closes as soon as it opens.

05/11/14 13:29:43: DXSetup: No command line switch
05/11/14 13:29:43: DSETUP: DllMain(): CloseHandle() failed, error = 6.
05/11/14 13:29:43: DXSetup: StartWizard()
05/11/14 13:29:43: DSETUP: LoadDSetup32(): LoadLibrary() failed, error = 1114.
05/11/14 13:29:44: DSETUP: DirectXSetupGetEULAW(): LoadDSetup32() failed.
05/11/14 13:29:44: DXSetup: IntroDlgProc(): DirectXSEtupGetEULA() returned 0.
05/11/14 13:29:44: DSETUP: DllMain(): CloseHandle() failed, error = 6.

Error: (6) - The handle is invalid.
Error: (1114) - A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.
LoadDSetup32() failed.
DirectXSEtupGetEULA() returned 0.

What can I do before reinstalling windows?

riflen

I can't update/install/repair DirectX (windows 8.1). So every time I open a game on steam, it'll be stuck trying to install this.

If I try to open the .exe manually (or download a new one from MS site), it closes as soon as it opens.

05/11/14 13:29:43: DXSetup: No command line switch
05/11/14 13:29:43: DSETUP: DllMain(): CloseHandle() failed, error = 6.
05/11/14 13:29:43: DXSetup: StartWizard()
05/11/14 13:29:43: DSETUP: LoadDSetup32(): LoadLibrary() failed, error = 1114.
05/11/14 13:29:44: DSETUP: DirectXSetupGetEULAW(): LoadDSetup32() failed.
05/11/14 13:29:44: DXSetup: IntroDlgProc(): DirectXSEtupGetEULA() returned 0.
05/11/14 13:29:44: DSETUP: DllMain(): CloseHandle() failed, error = 6.

Error: (6) - The handle is invalid.
Error: (1114) - A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.
LoadDSetup32() failed.
DirectXSEtupGetEULA() returned 0.

What can I do before reinstalling windows?

Win Key + x > Command Prompt (Admin) > sfc /scannow

Looks like you might have missing / out of date DLLs somewhere.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nope.
If you can wait just over 3 weeks there will be 4690k and 4790k CPUs to replace the 4670k and 4770k, along with the Z97 motherboards which launched today I think? But otherwise yes.

You should be able to fit a few luxuries in with that budget like a 780Ti and a nice case depending on your preferences and if you think you'd utilise the extra power.
^
Reading up on Z97 is going to be real fun, Z87 was already a SKU disaster, ASUS with like 20 fucking SKUs and everyone is following suite.

If the Turbo numbers are to believed and the 4770K replacement (4790K) Turbo is that high along with 'Improved TIM' (Gap was the problem I swear if TIM is better and gap is bad I'll be upset) these things are probably going to clock like monsters.

VLEXP

Going to order my parts today since they are the cheapest ive seen them after rebates and all, but I noticed it said "Corsair Graphite Series 230T Grey ATX Mid Tower Case and Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler height clearance could not be verified."

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3F18w

And I just noticed I had to different builds

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/vlexp/saved/4Efe

and
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/vlexp/saved/4Efd

Which are is only a 20 buck difference after rebate and 5 before.

Also is it really necessary to get a 780 if I wanna be able to run future games at max setting 1080p?

It really is a compact case. Still enjoyed the challenge of cable management somewhat, but there are some very tight squeezes (and visiting my 'happy place' moments :p). Ended up writing a guide over on overclock.net about the case, as I was collecting as much info as I could before building my system so as to not run into any difficulties.

Ha. Wish I would've seen that. I was convinced I would be done in an hour. Took 3 and I'm pretty experienced. Thankfully boot-up went smoothly which I thought it would not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom