• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 30 pack of motherboard speakers arrived today. Now to stick one in mine, then flip them for £2 each on eBay...

I should still get one of those, I occasionally assembled a PC for someone else and was tempted to just ask if I could keep the speaker, since they won't use it anyway, but I haven't done so yet.

Irobot82

I'll check for my speed, and i've got a 6950, so I guess the upgrade is good.

What is a Hyper 212? It's a heatsink?

Also I'm really not comfortable with Overclocking, I'm always sure i'm gonna break something by tweaking in. What would be the best Overclock for a i7 950?

Yes it's a heatsink, It's about $30, get some thermal paste as well. Let's what is the model of your motherboard? OC'ing is easier nowadays and there's more safeguards to prevent frying anything. :D

Here is a good guide http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz

Between Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte which manufacturer would you guys recommend for an R9 270?

I've heard good things about Asus and MSI cooling system, but nothing really about Gigabyte's Windforce.

The Windforce is a awesome cooler, it runs super quiet and dissipates heat like a champ. Gigabyte normally wins as far as noise is concerned, but for some reason the memory they use doesn't overclock well. This normally leads to them being a couple fps behind similar overclocked cards, but it's marginal at best and having a silent case, even at full load, is worth it.

@Serrato

Sure, but save yourself the money and skip the RAM, 8 is enough. Remember the 280 is just a 7970 rebranded, so if you are looking for large gains in performance you'll need to go with the 290.

@Derpcrawler

Always go intel for CPU's. AMD makes a fine GPU, I have no problem with them. Their CPU's are rubbish and get demolished across all metrics.

HoosTrax

godammit NewEgg!

696x288.jpg

Price gouge moar.

SleazyC

For serious archiving you want tape.
Pretty much. Even if you do go with a NAS for that volume of data you'll likely want an offsite backup as well.

Amazon Glacier looks very interesting for long-term archival storage that doesn't need to be accessed at all.

wilflare

question - what do you guys do with your product boxes?
i'm running out of space.. do the boxes make a large difference in resale value?

kennah

http://www.drobo.co.uk/products/capacity-calculator/#Drobo5Bay

I'd go with Drobo or Synology. It depends on your budget really, the sky is the limit. Obviously you'll want an off-site backup of everything too for DR purposes.

Do you have cabs? Something rack mounted might be more ideal?

Drobo isn't enough for what we are doing. My budget is between $5,000-10,000

For serious archiving you want tape.
Yep.thats beyond what I'm working on but is in the plan. The part that I'm working on is something that we can also use for putting video editing projects as well as something that can be streamed from if necessary.
Pretty much. Even if you do go with a NAS for that volume of data you'll likely want an offsite backup as well.

Amazon Glacier looks very interesting for long-term archival storage that doesn't need to be accessed at all.
Thanks for the amazon suggestion. Tape an offsite will be in the mix, I need to build the on site 'every day' use portion of our backup solution.

Dragon

Banned
Streaming is definitely better if you do the streaming from the second comp. No hit to performance on your primary machine. You'll just need some kind of capture card, and you're good to go.

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%2012.07.24%20PM.png

Seems awfully expensive (1700) but I mixed and matched Excellent and Enthusiast. Thoughts?

IllumiNate

Ever since trying my friends Sennheiser HD650's I've been in love with Sennheiser. So I just placed an order for the PC 363D headset.
yBhAYEQ.jpg

Seems to have some nice reviews in regards to sound and mic quality.
From what I've read you can use it with the PS4.

Zaph

Guys, I have a 670 in an otherwise high end ITX rig (4770k OC'd, Impact motherboard, 16gb ram). It's a good card but struggling more and more at 1440p (games are getting closer to 30 than 60fps).

Nobody can predict the future, but how smart is a 780ti upgrade now? Can't SLI so lack the ability to throw in a second card as they get cheaper.

Currently I'm waiting for this mythical 790 dual GPU card because my theory is that's the best way to maximise the single PCIe slot for 1440p gaming and when I upgrade to a gsync monitor later in the year, it'll minimise microstutter SLI issues (I think?). Does this sound like better plan, or a fool's errand?

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%2012.07.24%20PM.png

Seems awfully expensive (1700) but I mixed and matched Excellent and Enthusiast. Thoughts?

You might be able to get parts cheaper by different stores. For example the RAM seems pretty expensive, but it may be because it is 1866 Mhz. 1600 is fine.

The power supply is overkill, it is listed that a good 550w is fine for a 780.

Kharma has been linking this for a few times now, which is a great deal:

http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=78946&vpn=P1-750B-BEFX&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1019

You can take a different SSD.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ8RM1A/?tag=pcpapi-20

Decide whether you really want a 4770K instead of a 4670K. As far as I know until now there basically has only been a difference with Battlefield 4. Although there may be more games in the future that will utilize it.

Guys, I have a 670 in an otherwise high end ITX rig (4770k OC'd, Impact motherboard, 16gb ram). It's a good card but struggling more and more at 1440p (games are getting closer to 30 than 60fps).

Nobody can predict the future, but how smart is a 780ti upgrade now? Can't SLI so lack the ability to throw in a second card as they get cheaper.

Currently I'm waiting for this mythical 790 dual GPU card because my theory is that's the best way to maximise the single PCIe slot for 1440p gaming and when I upgrade to a gsync monitor later in the year, it'll minimise microstutter SLI issues (I think?). Does this sound like better plan, or a fool's errand?

Personally I don't like dual-GPU cards, it will probably still come before the new generation though. I think you shouldn't really have a problem with microstuttering SLI anymore. I don't think GSync would solve the microstuttering issue btw.

I say just go for the 780ti, there is no new card announced, it will probably be very far from being cost efficient and you can use the difference in money years later to upgrade again.

thefil

What cooler, what case. It doesn't have to be at the back of the computer, you can mount it anywhere that you have sufficient air flow.

H75, Fractal R4. I wanted the H60 actually, but the last one sold out on my way to local shop. Didn't do sufficient research to realize H75 was dual-fan, and now I'm worried about space.

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU in the next few months to a 780ti. MY HD 5990 is showing its age. I'm wondering is my i7 2600k and 16GB ram still good for a while yet? Or should I look at upgrading my cpu motherboard to go with the graphics card?

Prodigal

Banned
So I think my monitor just died on me. Came home and there wasn't any picture on the screen...won't show any on screen menu prompts either. I tried plugging my 360 into it and same deal. It's a 7 or 8 year old Dell 2405 - but I guess it's time to get a new one! Any recommendations?

thefil

Actually, looks like I'm fine on space. False alarm! :)

Another question: I have an extra fan now. Better to mount as an extra intake or extra outtake, given I have two intake fans around radiator?

kennah

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU in the next few months to a 780ti. MY HD 5990 is showing its age. I'm wondering is my i7 2600k and 16GB ram still good for a while yet? Or should I look at upgrading my cpu motherboard to go with the graphics card?

Make sure to cash in on the current boom of AMD cards. Your 5990 is worth some decent coin.

So I think my monitor just died on me. Came home and there wasn't any picture on the screen...won't show any on screen menu prompts either. I tried plugging my 360 into it and same deal. It's a 7 or 8 year old Dell 2405 - but I guess it's time to get a new one! Any recommendations?

Asus VG248QE.

crun

Banned
My rig:
Code:
[B]CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 750 @ 3.6 GHz + Mugen 2 rev. B
MOBO: Gigabyte P55A-UD4 [/B]
GPU: Asus GTX 780 DirectCu II @ 1267/1652 
RAM: 2x4 GoodRam 1333 MHz@1800MHz 
HDD1: CZ Vertex 4 128 GB 
HDD2: Intel SSD X25-V 40 GB 
HDD3: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB PSU: CoolerMaster V850W CASE: Fractal Design R2 XL Black Pearl
MONITOR1: LG E2370V-BF 
MONITOR2: Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 
KEYBOARD: Noppoo Choc Mini White MX Brown 
MOUSE: Zowie AM FG
HEADSET: Sennheiser HD555 
SOUNDCARD: Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty PRO SPEAKERS: Fujitsu DS S2100 2.1 System

Should I get that i5-4670k+Asrock Extreme 4 or not. Can't decide :(
It would boost my fps in some games significantly, for example in BF4 from ~100avg to ~120avg (I did a comparison on my graphic settings with an owner of i5-4670k+GTX780) and since I am getting VG248QE+G-Sync bundle once it is available, FPS over 60 will be appreciated...

Better integrated sound card maybe could help my lowbob speakers, front USB 3.0 is a nice thing too. Mugen 2 rev. B fits LGA 1150 so no need to exchange cooler. Same with my DDR3. Plus it would safe me about 30-40$ a year on energy.

And no, I can't overclock my i5-750 any further. It needs 1.4 vcore to be stable @ 3.8GHz... and I am afraid I might loose again in the silicon lottery again (this time not only awful OC but also running super hot thanks to the glue under IHC)

Dragon

Banned
You might be able to get parts cheaper by different stores. For example the RAM seems pretty expensive, but it may be because it is 1866 Mhz. 1600 is fine.

The power supply is overkill, it is listed that a good 550w is fine for a 780.

Kharma has been linking this for a few times now, which is a great deal:

http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=78946&vpn=P1-750B-BEFX&manufacture=XFX&promoid=1019

You can take a different SSD.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ8RM1A/?tag=pcpapi-20

Decide whether you really want a 4770K instead of a 4670K. As far as I know until now there basically has only been a difference with Battlefield 4. Although there may be more games in the future that will utilize it.

Thanks!

Based on your recommendations I speced out a lower machine:

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-15%20at%201.39.42%20PM.png

I looked up and I don't think there are any conflicts, good to go?

Stubo

BIOS GAF, I have a question!

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX (Not LK)

I've installed a new HDD today, it showed up in the BIOS but not in Windows.

It seemed that some of the ports on my board behaved this way, so maybe I need to change a setting in the BIOS to get them to work?

I have enabled hot plugging on the port in question and now I can see the new drive.

Is this sufficient as a long term fix? What's the deal?

Edit: This method has resulted in me having the constant option to eject my hard drive, like it were a USB stick. This shouldn't bug me, but it totally does!

thefil

Sorry to repost question, but I need an answer as I'm in the middle of the build:

1 intake + 1 radiator intake + 1 outtake

or

1 radiator intake + 2 outtake

for fans?

Stubo

It shows up in disk management now, but it didn't until either:
A: Plugging it into one of my 3 previously used SATA ports (SSD, HDD, Optical drive).
B: Enabling hot swap in the BIOS for the 4th port.

MadSexual

So dumb question: I can't seem to find a true dual link DVI cable on Amazon. A ton of them say dual link but only support res up to 1080. I'm not really even sure if that's the distinction or not. I had been under the impression that all DVI cables had the bandwidth for hi res. Anybody have a link to one that works?

LordAlu

So dumb question: I can't seem to find a true dual link DVI cable on Amazon. A ton of them say dual link but only support res up to 1080. I'm not really even sure if that's the distinction or not. I had been under the impression that all DVI cables had the bandwidth for hi res. Anybody have a link to one that works?
Any DVI-D cable should be fine. A few examples:

MadSexual

Those were some of the ones I looked at, but all of them have either explicit specifications or user comments that have the maximum supported resolution of 1920x1200 or lower. I game at 1440 most of the time, so I wouldn't want that to be an actual limitation.

Again, this is the first I'm hearing of any of this.

EDIT: Going with Monoprice. Now I just hope this behemoth can squeeze in behind my desk.

Mozendo

Thanks!

Based on your recommendations I speced out a lower machine:

I looked up and I don't think there are any conflicts, good to go?

Seems bretty good, but you're not going to get case fans?
Or are you going to get them later on?

Also just a suggestion, but you can go for SeaSonic rebranded Antec PSUs such as the NeoEco, HIgh Current Gamer M, and True Power Classic line if you want. Haven't tried any of the PSUs myself, but SeaSonic is reliable.

My current shitty screwdriver set from Walmart can't seem to grip any of the small screws in my GPU.

Anyone know what makes for a better grip?

My current shitty screwdriver set from Walmart can't seem to grip any of the small screws in my GPU.

Anyone know what makes for a better grip?

When there's a stripped screw at work, I put a rubber band (the flat tape worm-looking sort) between the driver and the screw, which generally gives it enough grip to turn. Might work for little screws too.

Prodigal

Banned
You think? You really should see what you want in the monitor.

For 120/144 Hz monitors it is among the best choices. But there is cheaper and there are also screens with better image quality.

Realistically I'm looking for a good/cheap monitor I can find locally at a store like best buy. I'd have to order that Asus monitor since they don't carry it in the store and I'd prefer to pick something up today but I'm not sure if any local best buys have decent monitors.

So, pretty sure my motherboard is defective (or I shorted it somehow). Either way, my friend and I discovered that the primary ram slots are non-functioning (which is why I couldn't get it to boot) but channel B works fine. Also, it seems like the USB slots don't work either.

Would it be more advisable to go through ASUS customer support or Amazon for a return? Is a return even worth the hassle or should I just buy a replacement? I don't want to spend the $80 if i don't have to, but I don't know how much of a pain it the butt getting a refund would be.

NoRéN

So, pretty sure my motherboard is defective (or I shorted it somehow). Either way, my friend and I discovered that the primary ram slots are non-functioning (which is why I couldn't get it to boot) but channel B works fine. Also, it seems like the USB slots don't work either.

Would it be more advisable to go through ASUS customer support or Amazon for a return? Is a return even worth the hassle or should I just buy a replacement? I don't want to spend the $80 if i don't have to, but I don't know how much of a pain it the butt getting a refund would be.

Why not just get a replacement through amazon?

I would return it via Amazon. In cases of DOA products, they will generally send you a new one out immediately instead of waiting for you to return the one you have. Manufacturer RMAs can take weeks.

I'm still running an old Phenom II x4 965, but I know its time is nearly over. I'm probably better off getting a whole new board and going Intel at this point, huh?

Rufus

I'm still running an old Phenom II x4 965, but I know it's time is nearly over. I'm probably better off getting a whole new board and going Intel at this point, huh?
Yes. I've got the same CPU and that's my plan down the line as well. I upgraded my GPU first, eventually it'll be time for the big switch as well. I'll ride it out for as long as possible though.

kennah

Today only and this thread only - my i7-2600K, previously owned by Hazaro - $190 shipped.

Don't need that much power, downgrading to an i3.

Gotta repair my car :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom