• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubo

BIOS GAF, I have a question!

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX (Not LK)

I've installed a new HDD today, it showed up in the BIOS but not in Windows.

It seemed that some of the ports on my board behaved this way, so maybe I need to change a setting in the BIOS to get them to work?

I have enabled hot plugging on the port in question and now I can see the new drive.

Is this sufficient as a long term fix? What's the deal?

Edit: This method has resulted in me having the constant option to eject my hard drive, like it were a USB stick. This shouldn't bug me, but it totally does!

It shows up in disk management now, but it didn't until either:
A: Plugging it into one of my 3 previously used SATA ports (SSD, HDD, Optical drive).
B: Enabling hot swap in the BIOS for the 4th port.

Anyone? :(

Today only and this thread only - my i7-2600K, previously owned by Hazaro - $190 shipped.

Don't need that much power, downgrading to an i3.

Gotta repair my car :(
Get on this guys, great deal!

Nicktals

Banned
Okay guys, attempting to build my first PC...got the cpu and memory in, but I'm wondering about power supply connections before doing an out of case test boot....I have a radeon HD 7870, and it looks like it takes 2 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors....The PSU I have only has one. Am I hosed? Is there a solution, such as an adapter/plugging a 4 into a 6, leaving one empty....Sorry for the noobish question, first time doing this and i'm nervous! Thanks!

EDIT: PSU is an Antec BP550 Plus

MisterNoisy

Okay guys, attempting to build my first PC...got the cpu and memory in, but I'm wondering about power supply connections before doing an out of case test boot....I have a radeon HD 7870, and it looks like it takes 2 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors....The PSU I have only has one. Am I hosed? Is there a solution, such as an adapter/plugging a 4 into a 6, leaving one empty....Sorry for the noobish question, first time doing this and i'm nervous! Thanks!

There are adapters for 2 4-pin Molex to PCI-E 6/8-pin. I literally have dozens lying around, so if you want one, PM me an address and I'll mail it.

Nicktals

Banned
There are adapters for 2 4-pin Molex to PCI-E 6/8-pin. I literally have dozens lying around, so if you want one, PM me an address and I'll mail it.

Thanks! I'll PM ya an address...But is it needed? Just looking at the requirements it says "500W (or greater) power supply with one 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended"

Addnan

That PSU should have a 6+2pin and 6 pin PCIE. Use the six from the 6+2 and the 6.

PBY

Banned
I posted in the steambox thread asking for tips on something like this... but why wait for a steambox right?

I want something really cheap. I have a ps4 and a bone, don't care about graphics. I want something that will let me get in on indie stuff, and older games on steam, and give me some basic media functionality.

Also- I fucking hate keyboard/mouse and plan on plugging this into my tv. So if theres some sort of UI that would facilitate that... thatd be great.

DTKT

It does, and I could do that, and then obviously there's a 24 pin to the motherboard, but I need another 6 pin to the motherboard for the cpu, right?

I thought it was an 8 pin connector for the motherboard? The BP550 should have 2 PCIE cables (1x6 - 1x6+2) and one 12 V 8pin CPU connector.

MisterNoisy

I thought it was an 8 pin connector for the motherboard? The BP550 should have 2 PCIE cables (1x6 - 1x6+2) and one 12 V 8pin CPU connector.

I think that PSU has a 4+4 EPS/CPU power connector too, but without seeing it, I can't be sure. If it has 6-pin, 6+2 pin and the 4+4, then it's good to go. Nicktals, if you need that cable, let me know.

Just asking for a friend, who doesn't have access to a computer at the moment. He just bought an eVGA 780 GTX and he can't get it past BIOS. Anyone have an idea what might be the issue. Here's his setup, thought I don't know his PSU, if that matters.

GTX 680 2 GB, Intel I7-3770k 3.5ghz, 128 GB SDD Drive, 2Tb HDD, Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD5H motherboard, 16gb Ripjaw RAM, Asus Xonar Sound card

Thought I'd ask, maybe GAF has some ideas I can give him to check on.

Serrato

Note that the guide that was posted earlier was for current Core i5/7 procs. The OCing process for socket 775 and earlier is a bit trickier than for the new OC-via-Turbo multiplier chips, but it's still not too bad.

OK euhh.... I guess when I'll be at that point I'll ask for more details.

I should buy the parts around next week.

Nicktals

Banned
Thanks guys, test build outside of the case was a success! (or I assume so, it gave me a message that memory had changed, or something, but lights and fans for video card, memory, and cpu were all going...that's a success so far, right?

Nakazato

Today only and this thread only - my i7-2600K, previously owned by Hazaro - $190 shipped.

damn 2 months ago i would have had the extra money ; ;

Alright guys question

Since we are getting close to the end of the 115X series. Should I just invest money in to a decent video card (760) and 4-8 gigs more gigs of ram to go with my i3-2100. Till its time for the next gen. Or do you think a I would be or with the 760 and a i5 2500k/3750 for the 3-4 years ?

mind you upgrade will be done after tax time lol :p

NoRéN

Jump on this, someone.

Sorry about your car.

2014 so far for me:

-fridge stopped working
-dog gets sick/vet bills
-go get car new tires, find out axle needs replacing

We just started, 2014! Come on!
I posted in the steambox thread asking for tips on something like this... but why wait for a steambox right?

I want something really cheap. I have a ps4 and a bone, don't care about graphics. I want something that will let me get in on indie stuff, and older games on steam, and give me some basic media functionality.

Also- I fucking hate keyboard/mouse and plan on plugging this into my tv. So if theres some sort of UI that would facilitate that... thatd be great.
The budget/good build could fit your needs. Check out the OP and fill out the survey there if you want a more specific recommendation.

Josman

I'll bump a question:

I want a good enough GPU for the gaming and Oculus Rift but most consume a lot of power, except the GTX 760, If I buy a GTX 780 and limit games to 1080p60fps, would it consume around the same energy as the 760?

soultron

Banned
Hey guys, in your experiences, have you had any issues running games via Steam on Win8.1?

I'm wanting to upgrade to a 64-bit OS since I'm currently running 32-bit Vista right now. Just wanted to hear some of your opinions before upgrading.

DTKT

Just asking for a friend, who doesn't have access to a computer at the moment. He just bought an eVGA 780 GTX and he can't get it past BIOS. Anyone have an idea what might be the issue. Here's his setup, thought I don't know his PSU, if that matters.

GTX 680 2 GB, Intel I7-3770k 3.5ghz, 128 GB SDD Drive, 2Tb HDD, Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD5H motherboard, 16gb Ripjaw RAM, Asus Xonar Sound card

Knowing the PSU might help. The 780 seems to draw more power.

Esqueleto

Banned
Anyone? :(

Get on this guys, great deal!

I'll check my settings in a bit. I have 3 hdds and an ssd and none of them behaved that way. Might want to look for diver/bios updates.

Edit: They all have hot plugging off. The only other settings are the sata mode which is set to ahci and smart check, which is set to enabled.

Azulsky

Any indication that Intel will have a Broadwell refresh on the E3 1200 Xeons?

Want to put new server together but if there is going to be a 14nm part for my ESXi box then might be worth the wait for that power sipping goodness.

Hey guys, in your experiences, have you had any issues running games via Steam on Win8.1?

I'm wanting to upgrade to a 64-bit OS since I'm currently running 32-bit Vista right now. Just wanted to hear some of your opinions before upgrading.
Not so far. The only issues I've with games tend to be controller oriented and are possibly due to my third party gamepad or Pinnacle Profiler messing up its game hooks, or are compatibility problems old games (like pre-2000) have with anything past XP.

Cyrix

Neo Member

Not so far. The only issues I've with games tend to be controller oriented and are possibly due to my third party gamepad or Pinnacle Profiler messing up its game hooks, or are compatibility problems old games (like pre-2000) have with anything past XP.

My understanding is that 64-bit hasn't really had any compatibility issues other than age related stuff like mcqueen said post vista, I'm on win7 x64 and have never had an issue.
Vista was just a mess.

- J - D -

After a lot of thinking, I've decided to pull the trigger on a GTX 780 Ti to pair with my current 2600k instead of waiting on maxwell and doing a complete overhaul. I'll just pick up another 780ti next year when I upgrade my cpu/mobo.

Pretty sure I'll go with EVGA, like I did with my 580 a few years ago. Are the Superclocked versions of their cards worth the slight price bump?

NoRéN;97243907 said:
Why not just get a replacement through amazon?

I would return it via Amazon. In cases of DOA products, they will generally send you a new one out immediately instead of waiting for you to return the one you have. Manufacturer RMAs can take weeks.

Thanks guys. That's actually relatively painless it seems. Returning things online always seems so daunting to me, but it looks like Amazon makes it simple enough. Hope it really was just the board and nothing bad will happen with the replacement. I want to start recording music already!

Xamdou

So what are the normal temps on idle and on gaming modes?

My specs:

MSI Z87-G41 Mobo
INTEL I7-4770 3.4 GHZ
SUPERCLOCKED EVGA NVIDIA GTX 770 ACX 2GB GDDR5
ADATA XPG V2 16GB DDR3 1866MHZ
CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H60 120MM LIQUID COOLING
2TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5" HD

NoRéN

Thanks guys. That's actually relatively painless it seems. Returning things online always seems so daunting to me, but it looks like Amazon makes it simple enough. Hope it really was just the board and nothing bad will happen with the replacement. I want to start recording music already!

It's incredibly simple with amazon. Go to the order> click on return> choose a reason and explain it as best as you can> choose what you want> wait for amazon to make things right.

You don't even have to do much. You can choose to have UPS pick up the return.

rCIZZLE

The things I'd change are the PSU, RAM and HDD to these to save money and still have excellent and better value parts

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western-digital-internal-hard-drive-wd10ezex
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f310666cl9d8gbrl
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-power-supply-hive550

Other than that a nice solid build you've got going there.

I've also fiddled around a bit and went up to $700 after rebate. That would enable you to go for a 4670K and a Z87 motherboard is well worth it on the long run, as the ability to overclock (even if you don't want to right now) will help down the line. Plus overclocking is incredibly easy.

660 is a good value card at $160, I wouldn't change that. I've changed your RAM as that saves cash, and the PSU too as after rebate it's much better value. The case could be changed to a Source 210 and drop the DVD drive and install Windows through USB. Your copy won't transfer over from your laptop as it's an OEM edition, but you could chance it and see if MS will let you, otherwise W8.1 is $25 on r/softwareswap. You'll lose out on front USB 3.0 with the Source 210 but that wouldn't really matter to me, but it's your build so it'll be up to yourself.

If you want to have a look at what $700 or so gets you here's the link to it http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2A2D6

Just got around to ordering my parts tonight. Thanks for the advice and sorry for the late reply!

Ended up dropping the optical drive, switching to the PSU, case, and ram you recommended, but decided to stick with the original board and CPU. Money is tight enough right now that saving ~$100 is worth the drop in performance for me at least. If I'm really enjoying PC gaming then I'll try to get the money for a much nicer build in a couple years and just give this one to a family member.

Anyways, any suggestions as to things I should be purchasing before I start my build? Might need to grab a new flash drive for the windows install since mine's only 4gb which seems to be right on the line of just enough or too small.

GHG

Gold Member
So what are the normal temps on idle and on gaming modes?

My specs:

MSI Z87-G41 Mobo
INTEL I7-4770 3.4 GHZ
SUPERCLOCKED EVGA NVIDIA GTX 770 ACX 2GB GDDR5
ADATA XPG V2 16GB DDR3 1866MHZ
CORSAIR HYDRO SERIES H60 120MM LIQUID COOLING
2TB SATA III 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB CACHE 3.5" HD

What are your current temps?

Would probably be best to let us know what temps you're getting at the moment and then we can tell you if they are ok or if something is wrong.

devonodev

Hi all, was hoping to get some thoughts about a Gaming PC I'm thinking of building. It will be my first one, so I'm still fairly new to it all. If costs can be reduced, without losing much performance, that'd be good to know.

Your Current Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card
PSU: Silverstone Strider 600W 80+ Silver Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
The rest can be found here: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/2C9cu. I haven't decided on a case yet.
Also, will I need to buy cooling?

Budget: I would like my budget to be around $1000 AUD, but I'm willing to go a bit over.
Main Use: 3-4, playing most games on at least High in 1080p.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p.
Will you be overclocking?: I would like to eventually, but I don't know enough about it for it to be super important.

Copons

Ok, something happened. Something waaay unexpected, I must say.

Basically, my cousin works for some kind of hi-tech company that constantly upgrades its PCs, and when he heard that I was buying a gaming rig told me that he might have some spare parts, a HDD or something he could give me for free.
So I waited for his call but then, as I didn't want to abuse his kindness, I just ordered my rig.
Exactly three hours after my order was placed and paid, he calls me.
Oh well, I thought, at worst I'll have two HDD.
But he said to me: "I've found a video card".
"Well, I already ordered a Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce 3X, how you gonna top it up?"
"Mine is a 770."

Holy mother of god. I instantly called the store and put my order on hold (and, for Italians here, I must say that e-key.it customer service is PERFECT).

So, now I'm here with an order on hold, and I have to upgrade the PSU (it was a Seasonic S12II-520W) and I'm in a rush, without even knowing what GTX 770 it is that one (I'm waiting for his call again... :D ).

And so I'm going to do something I (and you, probably) hate: abusing your kindness, showing you a list of PSUs I think they may be fine for me, hoping to get some good answer without annoying you more than what's needed.

tl;dr

I ordered a rig including a GTX760, then I found out I'm going to get a free GTX 770 and I need to choose a better PSU.

These are my current specs:

Mobo: AsRock Z87 Pro3
CPU: i5-4440
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 1.5V Low Profile
HDD: WD Caviar Blue
SSD: SanDisk 128GB
Case: Cooler Master N400
GPU: GTX 770, unknown model

At the store I've placed the order I've found these PSUs:

- XFX Pro Series 650W 80+ Bronze (68.80€, non modular, probably Haswell ready)

- XFX Pro Series 750W 80+ Bronze (80.40€, non modular, probably Haswell ready)

- Seasonic S12II-620 80+ Bronze (73€, non modular, no Haswell support)

- Enermax Triathlor FC 650W 80+ Bronze (78€, modular, Haswell ready)

- Corsair CS650M 80+ Gold (80.40€, semi-modular, Haswell ready)

I don't want to burden you more than needed, but just in case, here is my store page of Modular 620W-720W and Non-Modular 625W-750W

Honestly, I couldn't thank you enough for all you've done, for me and for the rest of the whining crybabies like me that alwasy run to you asking lame questions about everything.
But, anyway, thank you again. :)

riflen

After a lot of thinking, I've decided to pull the trigger on a GTX 780 Ti to pair with my current 2600k instead of waiting on maxwell and doing a complete overhaul. I'll just pick up another 780ti next year when I upgrade my cpu/mobo.

Pretty sure I'll go with EVGA, like I did with my 580 a few years ago. Are the Superclocked versions of their cards worth the slight price bump?

I have two of these cards and they are excellent. At the moment I've not tried to overclock them further as nothing troubles these boards at the resolutions I use.

As for whether it's worth the money to go for factory overclock, it depends on prices. Spend what you can afford.

kennah

Ok, something happened. Something waaay unexpected, I must say.

Basically, my cousin works for some kind of hi-tech company that constantly upgrades its PCs, and when he heard that I was buying a gaming rig told me that he might have some spare parts, a HDD or something he could give me for free.
So I waited for his call but then, as I didn't want to abuse his kindness, I just ordered my rig.
Exactly three hours after my order was placed and paid, he calls me.
Oh well, I thought, at worst I'll have two HDD.
But he said to me: "I've found a video card".
"Well, I already ordered a Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce 3X, how you gonna top it up?"
"Mine is a 770."

Holy mother of god. I instantly called the store and put my order on hold (and, for Italians here, I must say that e-key.it customer service is PERFECT).

So, now I'm here with an order on hold, and I have to upgrade the PSU (it was a Seasonic S12II-520W) and I'm in a rush, without even knowing what GTX 770 it is that one (I'm waiting for his call again... :D ).

And so I'm going to do something I (and you, probably) hate: abusing your kindness, showing you a list of PSUs I think they may be fine for me, hoping to get some good answer without annoying you more than what's needed.

tl;dr

I ordered a rig including a GTX760, then I found out I'm going to get a free GTX 770 and I need to choose a better PSU.

These are my current specs:

Mobo: AsRock Z87 Pro3
CPU: i5-4440
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance CL9 1.5V Low Profile
HDD: WD Caviar Blue
SSD: SanDisk 128GB
Case: Cooler Master N400
GPU: GTX 770, unknown model

At the store I've placed the order I've found these PSUs:

- XFX Pro Series 650W 80+ Bronze (68.80€, non modular, probably Haswell ready)

- XFX Pro Series 750W 80+ Bronze (80.40€, non modular, probably Haswell ready)

- Seasonic S12II-620 80+ Bronze (73€, non modular, no Haswell support)

- Enermax Triathlor FC 650W 80+ Bronze (78€, modular, Haswell ready)

- Corsair CS650M 80+ Gold (80.40€, semi-modular, Haswell ready)

I don't want to burden you more than needed, but just in case, here is my store page of Modular 620W-720W and Non-Modular 625W-750W

Honestly, I couldn't thank you enough for all you've done, for me and for the rest of the whining crybabies like me that alwasy run to you asking lame questions about everything.
But, anyway, thank you again. :)
The Seasonic 520 is more than enough for the 770

Copons

The Seasonic 520 is more than enough for the 770

I'm aware of it. At least, calculating the estimated wattage I'll need, my rig + 770 should need something around 460W and in a review of the 520W Seasonic I've read that it goes averagely around 480 or something like that (I may misremember some number tho).
So, as I'm saving ~220€ of GPU, I thought it would be fine to step up a bit PSU-wise, possibly going for an Haswell ready and/or modular.

There is the same Seasonic model but 620W, but it is neither modular nor Haswell ready.

As per the others, both XFX have great reviews (non modular, but I can live with it) and the Enermax has good reviews and it's both modular and Haswell ready.

So, for these reasons, I'm thinking of going with the XFX 650W (I think the 750W, even is just a bit pricier, is overkill for me, considering that I'm not going to neither overclock nor SLI anything, but maybe just adding drives or a dvd-rw).

Does he have a 780 or a 680? You say he has a 780, then the first thing you list is a 680. The cards can't be used together. If that's just a typo, then just return the card. It isn't worth messing with things to get it working.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I kinda hate you pro builders. :D
One day having plenty more power than needed is the best thing ever for a PC.
The next: eh, you're fine with everything. :D

Why spend money on an overkill PSU when you don't have to?

coughlanio

I'm going to be in the US next week, and I'm looking at upgrading to the 7850k.

What AMD GPU would be best paired with it? Thinking of the 270x, or should I bite the bullet and go 280x? Will the 280x be bottlenecked? AMD seem to be pushing the 270x with the 7850k.

Copons

Why spend money on an overkill PSU when you don't have to?

Well I was joking there, but really, when I heard of my "little" gift, I thought it would be a good idea to throw in some spare change, 5€ (for the XFX 650W) or 10€ (for the Seasonic 620W), to have some wiggle room.
But hey, I'd entrust you guys with my own life, so if you say the Seasonic 520W is more than enough, than be it! :)

kennah

I'm going to be in the US next week, and I'm looking at upgrading to the 7850k.

What AMD GPU would be best paired with it? Thinking of the 270x, or should I bite the bullet and go 280x? Will the 280x be bottlenecked? AMD seem to be pushing the 270x with the 7850k.
What are you upgrading from? Those cpus are mainly intended for use as an APU, not paired with a video card.

Well I was joking there, but really, when I heard of my "little" gift, I thought it would be a good idea to throw in some spare change, 5€ (for the XFX 650W) or 10€ (for the Seasonic 620W), to have some wiggle room.
But hey, I'd entrust you guys with my own life, so if you say the Seasonic 520W is more than enough, than be it! :)

Ooooooh. You are buying one. Thought you already had the 520. Spend the 5 euro. It's too early in the morning for good advice :p

Copons

Ooooooh. You are buying one. Thought you already had the 520. Spend the 5 euro. It's too early in the morning for good advice :p

Ahaha! You see? Back to day one: "you'll need plenty of power"! :p

Yeah, in my super long useless post maybe I wasn't clear: I ordered those parts and, almost immediately after, I asked the store to put the order on hold, to let me choose a better PSU.
So I guess the XFX Pro Series 650W is the way!
Yay! It's already in my cart, so nothing's ever been easier! :)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

That was my misunderstanding as well.

Ahaha! You see? Back to day one: "you'll need plenty of power"! :p

Yeah, in my super long useless post maybe I wasn't clear: I ordered those parts and, almost immediately after, I asked the store to put the order on hold, to let me choose a better PSU.
So I guess the XFX Pro Series 650W is the way!
Yay! It's already in my cart, so nothing's ever been easier! :)

Excite!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom