• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

It's more pricing. In Canada that psu is about 20-30 euro more, not 5. So for such a minor cost difference it is worth it. But if you were going to be spending a lot more then it wouldn't be worth it. A 520w Seasonic will be good for any single gpu for a while. Power consumption has been going down, not up.

Oh and Haswell Ready is marketing bullshit. Ignore it.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
It's more pricing. In Canada that psu is about 20-30 euro more, not 5. So for such a minor cost difference it is worth it. But if you were going to be spending a lot more then it wouldn't be worth it. A 520w Seasonic will be good for any single gpu for a while. Power consumption has been going down, not up.

Don't Haswells use less power than Ivy? What was their reasoning for labeling a PSU as "Haswell Ready"?

Edit: Oh because of the new sleep state.

Copons

Ah, you made me going back to check the prices, but I was actually pretty accurate.
Seasonic 520: 62.20€ / XFX 650: 68.80€ => I guess I can afford a difference of a mere 6.60€ :)

As per the Haswell Ready: I thought of that, but then I read something that led to something else and before I knew my brain was totally full of needless information and I guess I just settled for the "just give me the part with less hypothetical compatibility issues". :D

Copons

Don't Haswells use less power than Ivy? What was their reasoning for labeling a PSU as "Haswell Ready"?

(Huge precautionary AFAIK)

The "Haswell Ready" means that the PSU supports C6/C7 states, that should be some kind of low-powered sleep mode.
Non-Haswell Ready PSUs would consume more power while in sleep, and anyway you should disable those states in the BIOS to avoid the PC crashing everytime it goes in sleep mode.

Looking into a TV or monitor for PC and console gaming. I'm currently using a Samsung LE22S8, and I've been looking at Asus' VG248QE and MX279H as well as Sony's W6 series (both 32" and 42", although the latter would be a tad too big for normal kb/m pc usage). Wall to wall distance is 1,84m while table depth is 68cm, in case that information may be necessary.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? What kind of setup would you recommend?

coughlanio

What are you upgrading from? Those cpus are mainly intended for use as an APU, not paired with a video card.

My current setup:

• AMD A4-4000
  • Asus A88X-M Pro
  • 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2400Mhz DDR3
  • 500W Corsair CX500
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 1TB Barracuda

Thinking of picking up the following in the US:

• AMD 7850K
  • 750W Corsair RM750
  • Corsair H60
  • AMD Radeon 270X

keffri

How does this build look? I'm am going to use it for gaming but nothing graphically intensive (World of Warcraft) I was trying to stay around $600.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($172.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N180UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $621.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-16 10:05 EST-0500)

SleazyC

Anyone going mini ITX? I'd like to see what the Corsair 250D looks like when finished.
I'm planning to buy a 250D and move some parts into it in the future if a job perspective that requires me moving continents pans out. I don't want to even imagine how much it would cost to ship a 900D across the Atlantic....

Anyone going mini ITX? I'd like to see what the Corsair 250D looks like when finished.

I'm planning to buy a 250D and move some parts into it in the future if a job perspective that requires me moving continents pans out. I don't want to even imagine how much it would cost to ship a 900D across the Atlantic....

I am planning on getting the 250D. I have a SG10 which is nice, but I like what the 250D offers in terms of more room to water cool and easier access to all components. All I need to buy is a mini-ITX mobo as I'll transfer all existing components over. I'm still on an i5 2500k, but with a good OC I can go with it till early next year which by then the new Intels should hopefully be out. I was looking at the ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe mobo and I already have a 770 which I game at 1080p anyways so this should be fine.

Here is a quick video from Linus:

www.youtube.com/embed/dN6Bl7CySnQ

Azzurri

I really like the form factor, but the only thing is you can't sli it since it's so limited on space. I think I'll go mATX since it's small, but large enough for SLI.

kharma45

My current setup:

• AMD A4-4000
  • Asus A88X-M Pro
  • 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2400Mhz DDR3
  • 500W Corsair CX500
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 1TB Barracuda

Thinking of picking up the following in the US:

• AMD 7850K
  • 750W Corsair RM750
  • Corsair H60
  • AMD Radeon 270X

Massively overkill on the PSU, stick with what you have.

7850K is the best you'll do CPU wise, Athlon's might be coming though sans the GPU part of the APU at less money like they have with every generation so far. The 7850K is also stupid money atm, checked Newegg and it's $190.

You can get a 270 or a 7870 for less than a 270X. They're the same GPU.

How does this build look? I'm am going to use it for gaming but nothing graphically intensive (World of Warcraft) I was trying to stay around $600.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($172.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N180UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Hive 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ TigerDirect)
Total: $621.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-16 10:05 EST-0500)

Looks good.

Just got around to ordering my parts tonight. Thanks for the advice and sorry for the late reply!

Ended up dropping the optical drive, switching to the PSU, case, and ram you recommended, but decided to stick with the original board and CPU. Money is tight enough right now that saving ~$100 is worth the drop in performance for me at least. If I'm really enjoying PC gaming then I'll try to get the money for a much nicer build in a couple years and just give this one to a family member.

Anyways, any suggestions as to things I should be purchasing before I start my build? Might need to grab a new flash drive for the windows install since mine's only 4gb which seems to be right on the line of just enough or too small.

That's grand, still a good CPU and mobo.

RAM prices change a lot so check the price before ordering.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So what's the real, recommended option for testing a GPU overclock?

Started with my VRAM since it's at stock while the core is already OC'd on my card (760 Hawk) and I've been using Furmark. After getting to 1705 and still "stable" I went to Google and it seems Furmark is apparently not recommended since it stresses the GPU core excessively, but doesn't test the VRAM well.

Would Unigene Valley be a better overall test to use?

coughlanio

Massively overkill on the PSU, stick with what you have.

7850K is the best you'll do CPU wise, Athlon's might be coming though sans the GPU part of the APU at less money like they have with every generation so far. The 7850K is also stupid money atm, checked Newegg and it's $190.

Thanks, only reason I'm changing PSU is for something fully modular. The price difference between the 550W and the 750W is only $30, so why not. Will allow for a beefier CPU/GPU in the future. Tiger has the 7850K for $180 w/ BF4 so I'll probably get it there. I've been meaning to pick up BF4 anyway. ($180 is also way cheaper than the 7850K is here).

kharma45

Thanks, only reason I'm changing PSU is for something fully modular. The price difference between the 550W and the 750W is only $30, so why not. Will allow for a beefier CPU/GPU in the future. Tiger has the 7850K for $180 w/ BF4 so I'll probably get it there. I've been meaning to pick up BF4 anyway. ($180 is also way cheaper than the 7850K is here).

I can't recommend a 7850K at that money, it's almost i5 territory which is a better CPU in every single way, although I do understand you've already bought in to FM2+.

Power consumption is only going down btw, unless you're planning on a dual GPU set up you won't need 750w.

So what's the real, recommended option for testing a GPU overclock?

Started with my VRAM since it's at stock while the core is already OC'd on my card (760 Hawk) and I've been using Furmark. After getting to 1705 and still "stable" I went to Google and it seems Furmark is apparently not recommended since it stresses the GPU core excessively, but doesn't test the VRAM well.

Would Unigene Valley be a better overall test to use?

Furmark is torture :\ I'd just use the Heaven 4.0 and that Valley benchmark to see if it's stable. If it can do... say three runs in each of those then it's likely fine.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Furmark is torture :\ I'd just use the Heaven 4.0 and that Valley benchmark to see if it's stable. If it can do... say three runs in each of those then it's likely fine.

Figured those would be better based on what I'd read. I used Kombuster a few days ago since it comes with Afterburner and got a decent OC going, but I had no idea how well that program tested. Tried Furmark with the OC I ended up with and it failed, so I just started over this morning.

My crazy memory OC is probably going to fail really really fast in something that checks VRAM better, so I'll probably back it up a fair bit before I start in those.

I just installed a 780 (had some trouble with it earlier in the thread, decided to buy a new MB and a 4770 and now they're finally working together beautifully). I'm wondering about the power connector. It takes a 6 pin and a 6+2 pin to power the card. I have a modular power supply and I've got one cord coming from it with two 6+2 plugs, and I'm using both in the 780. It works but is this optimal, is it drawing all the power it needs from the one cord? I ask because it's a really awkward fit, like they weren't supposed to be both plugged in right beside each other like this. I have another modular cord with 6+2 plugs, I could use that and have two cords going from my PSU to the 780 if I needed to.

I know this is dumb but I'm coming from a 6850, a card needing 2 connectors is weird and scary to me. I don't know how it works.

mkenyon

Banned
One of the most aptly named GAfers. :p

It'll come to you in a big way soon Kharma!

@revolverjgw - you did it right. The other cable is for a second card.

kharma45

It already has, I count getting my job with one of the big four as such :p although that will likely lead to a severe cut in posts from me lol

Has anyone tried getting the PS4 included mic/headset to work on PC. I was wanting to play some dayz but don't have a mic so figured I could just use the one that came with PS4. Figured I could just plug it into the headphone jack and it would work. I get sound from speakers but mic doesn't seem to work. Works fine on PS4. Well if doesn't work any recommendations for a mic?

Looking at getting a new monitor. My university has a store that we can use to purchase electronic goods from with magic university money. I've currently got a 23" Benq monitor, so I'm looking to pick up another 23".

These are the options:

23" Lenovo ThinkVision LT2323p Monitor - £150
23" Lenovo ThinkVision LT2323z Monitor - £250
23" Samsung S22C650D Series 6 LED Business Monitor - £150

I've never even heard of Lenovo, so I was thinking of just buying the Samsung one.

- J - D -

I'm about to drop an inordinate amount of money on a 780ti but I'm stuck hemming and hawing over a $20 price difference between two very similar cards from EVGA's ACX and MSI's Twin Frozr. You'd think that at this price point, that small of a difference wouldn't matter. But it does! That's half the cost of a good cpu cooler.

Stubo

I'm about to drop an inordinate amount of money on a 780ti but I'm stuck hemming and hawing over a $20 price difference between two very similar cards from EVGA's ACX and MSI's Twin Frozr. You'd think that at this price point, that small of a difference wouldn't matter. But it does! That's half the cost of a good cpu cooler.
Put my vote in the EVGA ACX box, awesome cooler!

Sajjaja

Looking at getting a new monitor. My university has a store that we can use to purchase electronic goods from with magic university money. I've currently got a 23" Benq monitor, so I'm looking to pick up another 23".

These are the options:

23" Lenovo ThinkVision LT2323p Monitor - £150
23" Lenovo ThinkVision LT2323z Monitor - £250
23" Samsung S22C650D Series 6 LED Business Monitor - £150

I've never even heard of Lenovo, so I was thinking of just buying the Samsung one.

Lenovo is by IBM if I'm not mistaken.

Diablos

I thought your FX-6400 was all you needed for the next 5 years?
It would be hard to use a CPU that doesn't exist for the next 3-5 years. :)

I do plan on using my 6300 for that long unless it fails, but that doesn't mean I could use a Kaveri in a build for someone else (I have built/suggested builds for people in the past). Outside of that I'm just asking to see if people are eager to put it in their next build, seems like a pretty great APU but the cost is kind of meh. edit: I didn't even realize it has no L3 cache. Maybe not a pretty great APU.

Lenovo was sold by IBM, but they're still solid. Great laptops.

Personally I think all those prices for the monitors are too high, but I guess if you're getting them for free somehow?

Yeah it's part of my Universities Bursary scheme. It's not costing me a penny, if I didn't use my money to buy a monitor it would be spent or books or in the canteen.

kharma45

It would be hard to use a CPU that doesn't exist for the next 3-5 years. :)

I do plan on using my 6300 for that long unless it fails, but that doesn't mean I could use a Kaveri in a build for someone else (I have built/suggested builds for people in the past). I am also genuinely curious about what others have to say about their build.

Kaveri is not a good option for system building. Look at the price of the 7850K, fucking laughable.

Diablos

Aye just a bit.
Is the 7700K easy to OC? Seems like there's barely a difference between the two and would be an easy $20 saved. Still, a bit high... might as well just get an i5.

I am especially disappointed that they are discontinuing the FX line after this. A 70 or 90ish watt variant of the 8-core FX would have been great.
Of course future Kaveri offerings might put my concerns to rest, but we'll see.

kidko

Has anyone tried getting the PS4 included mic/headset to work on PC. I was wanting to play some dayz but don't have a mic so figured I could just use the one that came with PS4. Figured I could just plug it into the headphone jack and it would work. I get sound from speakers but mic doesn't seem to work. Works fine on PS4. Well if doesn't work any recommendations for a mic?

You want a Mic/Headset splitter and plug the mic in the mic jack and headphone in the headphone jack on your pc (pink and green colored jacks, respectively)

I'm not sure what size the PS4 jack is but something like this is what you're looking for:

5UKy2fO.jpg

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand the point in the 7700K, I thought the entire point of these APUs was the integrated graphics and that's where it's gimped.

So, I think I might have my OC stable. Only 10MHz on the core on top of the factory OC before Heaven gave me fits, specifically on the really heavy tessellation parts. Had it at 1161MHz on Valley and it seemed stable, dropped it to 1121MHz to get stable on Heaven. Could maybe get more if I switched to the unlocked bios and bumped up the voltage but I don't think I'll bother.

VRAM is at 1697MHz, from 1502 stock. Think I saw some a little artifacting at 1705 so I kicked it down a little. Going to do a few more loops later just to make sure it's stable here.

Diablos

I don't understand the point in the 7700K, I thought the entire point of these APUs was the integrated graphics and that's where it's gimped.
Yeah it looks like it isn't even reaching 7770 levels of performance (more like 7750), I guess for some people this is okay but generally speaking that is pretty unsatisfactory.

Not only that but R7 240 and 250 are the only things you can crossfire it with and apparently the drivers aren't ready yet? Just seems like wasted potential. For the price it could have had some L3 cache too.

If you want a no frills APU this is a great solution (well, if it was priced lower) and some people may have a need for that. But seeing as how it is a new product I was expecting more.

Baleoce

I'm looking for a reliable external harddrive, 2-3TB (audio plugin / sample collection storage), so semi portable is fine, and 72k rpm, usb2+ is a must. Any thoughts?

kennah

I'm looking for a reliable external harddrive, 2-3TB (audio plugin / sample collection storage), so semi portable is fine, and 72k rpm, usb2+ is a must. Any thoughts?

Buy two of something cheap. Keep what you're working on on both. Hard drives are unfortunately not reliable these days :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom