• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking for a reliable external harddrive, 2-3TB (audio plugin / sample collection storage), so semi portable is fine, and 72k rpm, usb2+ is a must. Any thoughts?

Unfortunately, that's kind of an oxymoron. If I was buying an external HDD I'd probably go with a WD, but really there are only a few companies that actually make HDDs and they are pretty similar in terms of reliability. So from that perspective you could probably go with whatever is cheapest with the best warranty.

Diablos

Meh I'm kind of pissed at AMD. Kaveri seems to be only a marginal improvement over the previous A-series which was never that spectacular to begin with. Yeah it's okay for an APU solution but it is way too expensive.

But I don't really understand the disregard for the FX line post-Kaveri; it's still early. It's still hands down the best CPU they have to offer even if it is starting to show its age. For most people, buying a 63xx or 83xx and discrete GPU is much better than getting Kaveri it seems (especially when you look at cost).

Honestly, would it have killed AMD to phase out the 95W FX 4300 and 6300, then release more energy efficient versions of the now-125W 6350 and 8350 (at 95W or possibly lower which really shouldn't be that hard at this point)? Or they could have done a 95W 8350 and perhaps <75W 6300 (since its TDP is 95W to begin with) and drop the price by $20 or so. These are both great CPU's that can hold their own, particularly the 8350, despite their age.

Tossing the entire line aside in favor of Kaveri (at this point, it's just too early) just seems like a tiny step forward in one way, but a huge step backwards in another.

It may very well have future potential as they make the drivers better and obviously release more Kaveri APU's. Remains to be seen for sure. But I'd say it is a bit too premature to cease improvements to the FX line (TDP but perhaps they hit a wall there).

Baleoce

Unfortunately, that's kind of an oxymoron. If I was buying an external HDD I'd probably go with a WD, but really there are only a few companies that actually make HDDs and they are pretty similar in terms of reliability. So from that perspective you could probably go with whatever is cheapest with the best warranty.

Buy two of something cheap. Keep what you're working on on both. Hard drives are unfortunately not reliable these days :(

Well all of my plugins are downloadable from the places I've purchased them, so having a backup isn't a massive priority. I guess it's more about the longer warranty for me then.

Anything like this okay? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C9TEOCA/

Nicktals

Banned
Okay, felt pretty proud...built my first pc, had it hooked up to a small hdtv. everything was running, got windows installed...updated my lan and chipset drivers using the supplied mobo DVD. Moved everything upstairs to download the rest online, and all of a sudden i can't see anything on my display. It was working 5 minutes ago. Any ideas? Things I could try? Tests?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a dongle. Had it plugged onboard and not video card...that would probably help lol

MisterM

Okay, felt pretty proud...built my first pc, had it hooked up to a small hdtv. everything was running, got windows installed...updated my lan and chipset drivers using the supplied mobo DVD. Moved everything upstairs to download the rest online, and all of a sudden i can't see anything on my display. It was working 5 minutes ago. Any ideas? Things I could try? Tests?

Are you getting anything at all (eg BIOS splash screen)?

If not check you've not plugged your display into the motherboard over the GPU.

EDIT: Oh, you!

Nicktals

Banned
Are you getting anything at all (eg BIOS splash screen)?

If not check you've not plugged your display into the motherboard over the GPU.

EDIT: Oh, you!

Hahaha, snuck the edit in there. But thanks! Gotta get used to that...first time having a graphics card in a PC!!

sn00zer

So i bought a used laptop and it looks like the sound is a bit screwed up...when I use headphones it cuts off the quieter sounds....so i was looking into USB sound cards that I can plug my headphons into to resolve the issue...are these any good?...i reinstalled sound drivers so I know that is not the issue to i think its a hardware problem

Man, I find the pressure of what site to buy different parts from difficult to deal with.
Free delivery to Ireland seems to suggest going with Amazon.co.uk [itself, not third party sellers] as much as possible :-/

Clott

I am currently cutting a feature off 2 external raids, but this is causing some serious bloat and slow down.

What is the fastest external drive around 4tb?

I am going to extract the necessary footage from the raid and put it on a single drive.

kharma45

Man, I find the pressure of what site to buy different parts from difficult to deal with.
Free delivery to Ireland seems to suggest going with Amazon.co.uk [itself, not third party sellers] as much as possible :-/

Even getting stuff to Northern Ireland can be a pain, so many charge extra to send stuff here when someone like Royal Mail doesn't, it's just a flat rate across the UK.

No bad thing using Amazon. Customer care is second to none.

kennah

I am currently cutting a feature off 2 external raids, but this is causing some serious bloat and slow down.

What is the fastest external drive around 4tb?

I am going to extract the necessary footage from the raid and put it on a single drive.

Does your computer have USB3, Thunderbolt or eSATA? Kinda need more info to recommend stuff. The 'fastest' is a Thunderbolt external enclosure with a RAID and SSDs.

My boss has this http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/wd-my-b...000076892947?gclid=CJnn2LDhg7wCFew7MgodAAgAIQ

for editing and finds it a good compromise between cost, speed and space. Striped 10,000RPM drives. Great for video.

But basically, to get a fast external enclosure, you're looking $500 +

Even getting stuff to Northern Ireland can be a pain, so many charge extra to send stuff here when someone like Royal Mail doesn't, it's just a flat rate across the UK.

No bad thing using Amazon. Customer care is second to none.
Hmm, righto, thank ya.

If anyone can offer any more advice, I'm currently looking at this build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2CoMp

Your Current Specs: 32 bit, 3GB RAM, 5770
Budget: €500 - €1000
Main Use: Gaming - 5, Web - 5, video watching - 5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p monitor currently, LG, few years old, may upgrade later this year
Games: Dark Souls 2, Metal Gear Rising etc
Looking to reuse any parts?: Don't really think I can, which is unfortunate, as my current machine is not "bad"
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Over the next 2 months?
Will you be overclocking?: Yes​

kharma45

Hmm, righto, thank ya.

If anyone can offer any more advice, I'm currently looking at this build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2CoMp

Your Current Specs: 32 bit, 3GB RAM, 5770
Budget: €500 - €1000
Main Use: Gaming - 5, Web - 5, video watching - 5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p monitor currently, LG, few years old, may upgrade later this year
Games: Dark Souls 2, Metal Gear Rising etc
Looking to reuse any parts?: Don't really think I can, which is unfortunate, as my current machine is not "bad"
When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Over the next 2 months?
Will you be overclocking?: Yes​

Drop the thermal paste, the cooler comes with it. Check out Reddit for a ~€18 8.1 key, and it's a retail one too. And yes they're legit http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswa...etail_windows_81_pro_keys_w_paypal_225_sales/

That 280X might be hard to get hold of. Last time I checked nowhere had stock.

Are you just looking to game with this PC? or do you have other uses like media creation?

Drop the thermal paste, the cooler comes with it. Check out Reddit for a ~€18 8.1 key, and it's a retail one too. And yes they're legit http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswa...etail_windows_81_pro_keys_w_paypal_225_sales/

That 280X might be hard to get hold of. Last time I checked nowhere had stock.

Are you just looking to game with this PC? or do you have other uses like media creation?
Ah, thank you for the paste tip.
Hmm, might switch to a GTX 770 then.
No, I wouldn't be doing much media creation, just gaming really.

kharma45

If you are just gaming then drop to an i5 4670K. Most games will see zero benefit from an i7 over it.

770 is a nice card, and without trying to take you too far down market don't discount the 760 either. It's just a slightly cut down version of it, talking ~15% performance difference for £100 or more.

Meh I'm kind of pissed at AMD. Kaveri seems to be only a marginal improvement over the previous A-series which was never that spectacular to begin with. Yeah it's okay for an APU solution but it is way too expensive.

But I don't really understand the disregard for the FX line post-Kaveri; it's still early. It's still hands down the best CPU they have to offer even if it is starting to show its age. For most people, buying a 63xx or 83xx and discrete GPU is much better than getting Kaveri it seems (especially when you look at cost).

Honestly, would it have killed AMD to phase out the 95W FX 4300 and 6300, then release more energy efficient versions of the now-125W 6350 and 8350 (at 95W or possibly lower which really shouldn't be that hard at this point)? Or they could have done a 95W 8350 and perhaps <75W 6300 (since its TDP is 95W to begin with) and drop the price by $20 or so. These are both great CPU's that can hold their own, particularly the 8350, despite their age.

Tossing the entire line aside in favor of Kaveri (at this point, it's just too early) just seems like a tiny step forward in one way, but a huge step backwards in another.

It may very well have future potential as they make the drivers better and obviously release more Kaveri APU's. Remains to be seen for sure. But I'd say it is a bit too premature to cease improvements to the FX line (TDP but perhaps they hit a wall there).
You would think they would release Steamroller at their traditional Bulldozer high clock rates, too, simply because of the huge single-threaded performance increase that Kaveri nerfed by running at lower clocks.

If you are just gaming then drop to an i5 4670K. Most games will see zero benefit from an i7 over it.

770 is a nice card, and without trying to take you too far down market don't discount the 760 either. It's just a slightly cut down version of it, talking ~15% performance difference for £100 or more.
Yeah, the 760 and those handy tips that would bring it down to around €980..

Thanks.

kharma45

Nicktals

Banned
So, hoorah! first ever PC built, and seems to be a success (thanks sooo much to those of you who helped!!!)! Couple after questions...How can I see what my 'frame rate/cpu heat/other stuff i have no idea about but would like to be acquainted with' are?

Also, with that, a good game. I downloaded a game I have no interest in, just to be able to test...well, something...I have no idea what yet! (Saint's Row IV)

Celcius

°Temp. member
I can understand 120hz (double the normal 60hz refresh rate), but why did 144hz become a standard? (why 144 of all numbers? It's not much higher than 120)

mkenyon

Banned
I can understand 120hz (double the normal 60hz refresh rate), but why did 144hz become a standard? (why 144 of all numbers? It's not much higher than 120)
The 144Hz monitors all use the same panel. That panel is capable of 144Hz, so why not? Its not a standard nor does it need to be.

IllumiNate

My PC finally arrived! Bless the Maker! Upgraded from 2x GTX 460's and an i7 2600k. Getting it all set up now. I'll say though, I'm loving Windows 8.1 it's incredible! Dont know what all the fuss is about.

90ff6b71-c3e2-4c71-9870-b9caaf19bc83_zps6a6145b2.jpg

7de26e8e-1bb9-4ea3-ad07-775159db1af5_zpsb0b7e7f4.jpg

b8d20343-fbb2-4037-b5ee-786a9261c5f2_zps998dac1e.jpg

c6f167ba-d7a3-495e-ba2a-96d1364a9ee8_zps3f32c1e2.jpg

ea702c6d-6942-442e-9123-ed22de44edec_zpsf2876a58.jpg

NCIX has been great through this whole process, they gave me a free Gold pass for AMD's Never Settle Forever. Gave me some nice discounts on a bunch of my gear, plus free shipping even after it was all built and tested.

I now have no use for this soundcard so I'm selling it for $100 shipped,
8c4c3ad1-7bae-4cdc-8920-d45db72581f6_zpsdcfc13d6.jpg
I'll post it on the buy/sell thread as well.

My other-in-laws laptop is stuck installing an update. Windows 7 starts up, it says it's installing update 3 of 3, status stays at 0%, after a few minutes it resets itself and does it all again. Over and over.

Any guess what I should try to do to fix this short of completely reformatting the computer?

mkenyon

Banned
Much lamenting
You can polish a turd, but it is still shit. They're missing a lot of tech that allows for the low TDP on Intel procs. Really, I'd like to see a high clocked/TDP Kaveri Athlon. Have it fast as hell and dirt cheap. Something to replace the 6300, since it doesn't make a good argument over an i3 system for gamers. Do want.

My sister's video card (HIS HD 5770) has apparently decided to start frying itself, we've discovered. We suspected this, so she put together a list of a few that stuck out at her. (Ones that reviewed well, etc. I recommended she go with Nvidia.) I went to check with the OP list, but I saw it was last updated Jan 4th, before CES. Any good announcements there, or price drops in response to those announcements? If not, any opinions to offer on the three finalists, or better Nvidia recommendations (please don't get hung up on the fact we're avoiding ATI)? She said she's willing to spend money to make sure she has something good. She doesn't game as much, but I think she still wants something powerful (it does have to handle 1080p video playback and Photoshop like a breeze, but I assume the latter is more CPU and memory limited).

Captain N

I've got a four year old MacBook Pro and really want to get into PC gaming. So Now I am looking into getting a PC. Tempted to get a Steam Machine, but at the same time would like a PC. My thinking is it'll always be plugged into my tv and I could use a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard. Just wondering how hard would it be to build my own computer? I was thinking about spending 600 - 700 range and not sure if that could make a good gaming PC.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I was looking at what kind of RAM I have in my Amazon Orders for 2012 so maybe I could double it from 8 to 16. WTF happened to the prices?! I payed $39.99 for some Kingston HyperX 1600 in 2012 and now that shit is $79.99, Yikes.

Edit: on another note, I'm basicly gutting my current Rig, and putting in a new, CPU, Motherboard, power supply, pretty much everything but RAM. I want to take the guts of this one, and turn it into a little HTPC. Will I have a problem fitting a 6870 in a HTPC case, or should I just ditch it and let my i3-2120 with intel hd graphics 2000 handle the video.

MisterM

I've got a four year old MacBook Pro and really want to get into PC gaming. So Now I am looking into getting a PC. Tempted to get a Steam Machine, but at the same time would like a PC. My thinking is it'll always be plugged into my tv and I could use a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard. Just wondering how hard would it be to build my own computer? I was thinking about spending 600 - 700 range and not sure if that could make a good gaming PC.

It's pretty straight forward to build your own machine. I'm sure there are some guides in the OP, have a look and then decide if it's for you.

600-700...dollars? pounds? rupees?

@CottonBaller Can I ask why you've got a mouse and a trackpad/keyboard? Are you making some kind of Steam Machine/desktop hybrid?

bro1

Banned
Same reason they sell 240hz tv. It's a higher number.

Love my asus 144hz monitor though! I have 2 of their 27" models and will be adding a third soon.

kharma45

So I was looking at what kind of RAM I have in my Amazon Orders for 2012 so maybe I could double it from 8 to 16. WTF happened to the prices?! I payed $39.99 for some Kingston HyperX 1600 in 2012 and now that shit is $79.99, Yikes.

Edit: on another note, I'm basicly gutting my current Rig, and putting in a new, CPU, Motherboard, power supply, pretty much everything but RAM. I want to take the guts of this one, and turn it into a little HTPC. Will I have a problem fitting a 6870 in a HTPC case, or should I just ditch it and let my i3-2120 with intel hd graphics 2000 handle the video.

Production is ramping down on DDR3 so prices are rising.

If you're just watching video the HD 2000 should be fine.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Production is ramping down on DDR3 so prices are rising.

If you're just watching video the HD 2000 should be fine.

I don't understand why they would lower production on DDR3 when DDR4 isn't even readily available yet...

kharma45

I don't understand why they would lower production on DDR3 when DDR4 isn't even readily available yet...

Because they need to start ramping up production of DDR4 to have enough supply of it when it's introduced into retail in the second half of this year.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Because they need to start ramping up production of DDR4 to have enough supply of it when it's introduced into retail in the second half of this year.

The wheels have been in motion for DDR4 for a while. DDR3 can retire asap.

I just assumed they would have both readily available until DDR4 is the go-to memory source. Produce both at the same time, then stop production of DDR3 once DDR4 is the default.
Jacking the price up for DDR3 before you can buy DDR4 doesn't make sense to me.

That would be similar to increasing the price of a 2013 model car simply because the 2014 model will be coming out soon.

It doesn't make sense to me, but I guess that is just the way things are with memory.

Coreda

Same reason they sell 240hz tv. It's a higher number.

Love my asus 144hz monitor though! I have 2 of their 27" models and will be adding a third soon.

Found this video a couple years ago that explained the benefit of higher hz for larger TVs. Clearest explanation I'd heard at the time.

kharma45

I just assumed they would have both readily available until DDR4 is the go-to memory source. Produce both at the same time, then stop production of DDR3 once DDR4 is the default.
Jacking the price up for DDR3 before you can buy DDR4 doesn't make sense to me.

That would be similar to increasing the price of a 2013 model car simply because the 2014 model will be coming out soon.

It doesn't make sense to me, but I guess that is just the way things are with memory.

It makes perfect sense.

Supply and demand.

There is no point continuing full scale production of a part that is going to be obsolete in 24 months.

So the PSU that I bought through Amazon warehouse deals didn't come with a power plug. WTF. The case fans also dont match any of the plugs on the PSU so I had to get a 3 pin to molex adapter on amazon. And that 212 evo cool master heatsink is a BEAST. Jesus. I think it made the intel pack-in heatsink cry pitifully.

Having not assembled an entire PC since the HL2/Doom 3 days it's interesting to see what has evolved and what remains obtuse. The CPU not having pins was a revelation and really took the stress out of installing it. I've bent pins before and i wasn't looking forward to getting a credit card out to try and straighten them out. However, some bullshit still remains. It was still a mess trying to read instructions & decypher diagrams that were borderline incomprehensible to wrap your head around. Also, in all these years they haven't simplified the process of plugging in case plugs onto the motherboard? I mean, every PC comes with a HDD light, a reset button, a power button. That stuff should've been standardized ages ago.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to picking up a power cable today and im just going to leave the case open until the adaptor for the case fans show up early next week (unless by some random chance there's an adaptor like it in the tigerdirect nearby). Can't wait to spend a week benchmarking shit like Metro and Crysis 3.

kharma45

So the PSU that I bought through Amazon warehouse deals didn't come with a power plug. WTF. The case fans also dont match any of the plugs on the PSU so I had to get a 3 pin to molex adapter on amazon. And that 212 evo cool master heatsink is a BEAST. Jesus. I think it made the intel pack-in heatsink cry pitifully.

Having not assembled an entire PC since the HL2/Doom 3 days it's interesting to see what has evolved and what remains obtuse. The CPU not having pins was a revelation and really took the stress out of installing it. I've bent pins before and i wasn't looking forward to getting a credit card out to try and straighten them out. However, some bullshit still remains. It was still a mess trying to read instructions & decypher diagrams that were borderline incomprehensible to wrap your head around. Also, in all these years they haven't simplified the process of plugging in case plugs onto the motherboard? I mean, every PC comes with a HDD light, a reset button, a power button. That stuff should've been standardized ages ago.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to picking up a power cable today and im just going to leave the case open until the adaptor for the case fans show up early next week (unless by some random chance there's an adaptor like it in the tigerdirect nearby). Can't wait to spend a week benchmarking shit like Metro and Crysis 3.

Case fans should only need power from the motherboard.

Strange not to get a power lead.

And yes the HDD light etc. is still fiddly, some have hany adapters like this though

IMG_6833.jpg

Clott

Does your computer have USB3, Thunderbolt or eSATA? Kinda need more info to recommend stuff. The 'fastest' is a Thunderbolt external enclosure with a RAID and SSDs.

My boss has this http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/wd-my-b...000076892947?gclid=CJnn2LDhg7wCFew7MgodAAgAIQ

for editing and finds it a good compromise between cost, speed and space. Striped 10,000RPM drives. Great for video.

But basically, to get a fast external enclosure, you're looking $500 +

We are currently working of a mac but moving on to a PC that has much better specs, the PC has esata and usb3.

OrangeOak

Is it normal that I have minimal framerate of 45fps on GTX 770(after light OC) in Borderlands 2? Is there something wrong with this game or are there some effects that are badly optymised? I heard that there can me something wrong with AO but I don't know if this is true.I know that 770GTX isn't that great but I had almost the same minimal framerate on HD7850.
I switched from my old 7850 to 770GTX yesterday and I thought I will be more happy with this card especially after all this "better drivers" talk on the internet :p.
I never had any problems (outside of supersampling) on AMD cards and now I have this weird glitches in Just Cause 2 and pretty bad minimal framerate in BD2 and it's only second day with this card.
Shadowplay is amazing though.

Case fans should only need power from the motherboard.

Strange not to get a power lead.

And yes the HDD light etc. is still fiddly, some have hany adapters like this though

IMG_6833.jpg

Well, there's two slot one the motherboard and one is taken up by CPU fan. The remaining one is in a position that would require that I completely dismantle most of what I've done to get to it and, even if I did get to it, it would still leave me with one fan unplugged (the case comes with 2 fans built into it). I tried plugging the closest fan in but after 15 minutes I gave up. Wasn't worth the effort given that I would still need an adapter for the other fan.

And that adapter would've been fine. Anything is better than what we have now.

kharma45

Well, there's two slot one the motherboard and one is taken up by CPU fan. The remaining one is in a position that would require that I completely dismantle most of what I've done to get to it and, even if I did get to it, it would still leave me with one fan unplugged (the case comes with 2 fans built into it). I tried plugging the closest fan in but after 15 minutes I gave up. Wasn't worth the effort given that I would still need an adapter for the other fan.

And that adapter would've been fine. Anything is better than what we have now.

What motherboard is it you ordered? Strange to not have enough fan headers for three fans.

Is it normal that I have minimal framerate of 45fps on GTX 770(after light OC) in Borderlands 2? Is there something wrong with this game or are there some effects that are badly optymised? I heard that there can me something wrong with AO but I don't know if this is true.I know that 770GTX isn't that great but I had almost the same minimal framerate on HD7850.
I switched from my old 7850 to 770GTX yesterday and I thought I will be more happy with this card especially after all this "better drivers" talk on the internet :p.
I never had any problems (outside of supersampling) on AMD cards and now I have this weird glitches in Just Cause 2 and pretty bad minimal framerate in BD2 and it's only second day with this card.

The better drivers thing is a nonsense now. Nvidia's are more feature rich though.

Your frame rate does seem odd

borderlands-avg.png

MisterM

Could it be the PhysX effects dragging down your 770 in Borderlands 2? They'd be disabled normally on an AMD card.

Could also be heat or a bad card if you're getting glitches.

kharma45

It's a gigabyte GA-Z87N-Wifi

So it doesn't. Even with it being mITX I thought they'd have three, that's irritating but you know that already. My suggestion would be one of those splitters for $3 or so but that does mean taking the system apart by the sounds of it to get it in, unless you use a pair of tweezers like I did.

So it doesn't. Even with it being mITX I thought they'd have three, that's irritating but you know that already. My suggestion would be one of those splitters for $3 or so but that does mean taking the system apart by the sounds of it to get it in, unless you use a pair of tweezers like I did.

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I bought a 3 pin male to molex female adapter that should do the trick. Just sucks to not be able to have a fully assembled PC at the moment but I'm almost there!

mkenyon

Banned
CPU and clock speed? BL2 is a very CPU intensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom