• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty interesting. I've been interested in Rocksmith to play around with, but its always seemed more geared towards beginners. But it looks like it'd be a fun little tool to mess around with the amps and effects it has and whatnot. I've seen it with the cord quite cheap and have been tempted but I might actually check it out knowing I can record stuff with it.

Rocksmith 2014 goes on sale somewhat regularly now if you do have interest. The difficulty of the songs is literally dependent on the song. Obviously metal is going to be harder than some indie pop. If you liked Rock Band, you'll probably like Rocksmith. If you do decide to use that cable to record, just know it can be a pain to set up with your rig. I've also heard that a dedicated sound card would help with audio quality. That might be something you'll want to pursue anyway since you're getting a mic to record.

IMO, they're just a giant pain in the ass. It says a lot when it's easier to work around a custom liquid cooled system than a Phanteks/Noctua/Thermalright monstrosity. I remember vividly the day I swore them off. I was swapping out a CPU on my Phenom II/Crosshair IV system. When unscrewing the Venomous X, it came loose and bent two rows of pins on the proc as it swung down. Then when installing the new proc, I forgot to plug the 8 Pin CPU power back in before getting the heatsink seated. So I had to pull the whole thing off again in order to make room for my hand to fit in there.

Fuck that noise.
Yeah I completely understand. I recently had to test my PSU and basically had to dismantle my entire system to work around it. God forbid I should ever need to add RAM either because that's completely blocked off too. I even have to remove the heat spreaders to make it work.

Is anyone else in the UK, mainly London based struggling to decide on a Mechanical Keyboard, purely because of the lack of shops that sell them or have them out for testing?

I have used only red switches and would love to try others before committing to a keyboard, I don't want to have to order something and then decide that I do not like it and have to send it back.

On the other hand however, I am quite excited for the Corsair MX RGB keyboard - I know it is really gimmicky but it looks so cool:

KzKD9mu.jpg

Other than that, cannot decide on what keyboard I want :(
Is that a sound-wheel on the top right? Like on the Logitech G kboards? If so, I need that. right naaaow.

So, I built my current rig around 4 or five years ago, and am looking to upgrade it with as little hassle as possible. Here's my current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W
PSU: Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256 bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6.0b/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
OpDrive: 24x Lite-On DVD Writer Black SATA Model
HDD: 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200 RPM 32MB cache
RAM: 4 GB (2x2GB) OCZ 240 pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600

Also have some fans and a CoolMax cooler for the CPU.

It's been struggling for a while with modern games and I'd like to be able to play some blockbusters at high(ish) settings. Currently would like to run games like Rome 2 and Titanfall on it.

What upgrades would be compatible and make an immediate impact on performance? I was thinking RAM and GPU, but I'm not sure if the CPU needs upgrading as well, which may require another Motherboard. Worried about outdated sockets.

Thanks for the help

Jordan

Is that a sound-wheel on the top right? Like on the Logitech G kboards? If so, I need that. right naaaow.

From what I gather, yes that's a sound wheel. That's what drew me towards it... not because I would ever use it because of my headset but it makes it stand out a bit more.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I stumbled across this site that helps for PC building and pricing, particularly useful for beginners. Perhaps it will be useful to some of you.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
I used to have this and the Tech Report guide in the OP, but it's overlap.

I've helped that guide out before though if I ever catch the threads.

They've done a lot of work now it is its own website. One big regret is my inability to format nicely on the forum and haven't prioritized getting a proper site up.

mkenyon

Banned
So, I built my current rig around 4 or five years ago, and am looking to upgrade it with as little hassle as possible. Here's my current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W
PSU: Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256 bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6.0b/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel
OpDrive: 24x Lite-On DVD Writer Black SATA Model
HDD: 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200 RPM 32MB cache
RAM: 4 GB (2x2GB) OCZ 240 pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600

Also have some fans and a CoolMax cooler for the CPU.

It's been struggling for a while with modern games and I'd like to be able to play some blockbusters at high(ish) settings. Currently would like to run games like Rome 2 and Titanfall on it.

What upgrades would be compatible and make an immediate impact on performance? I have thinking RAM and GPU, but I'm not sure if the CPU needs upgrading as well, which may require another Motherboard.

Thanks for the help
If you don't want to upgrade CPU and mobo, you'll need to start overclocking. Guide here. You definitely need an improvement on that clock speed, the IPC improvements would also be greatly beneficial on new procs.

How much are you looking to spend, total, on the upgrade? Or is it just to get a ballpark of what you might need?

GTX 760 or R9-280X is the sweet spot in terms of performance. Next highest would be the R9-290 which is also a steal. If you don't mind buying used, you can find them for as low as $280-300 right now.

scogoth

They've done a lot of work now it is its own website. One big regret is my inability to format nicely on the forum and haven't prioritized getting a proper site up.

If you provide the material you could ask for help on formatting and/or graphics.

From what I gather, yes that's a sound wheel. That's what drew me towards it... not because I would ever use it because of my headset but it makes it stand out a bit more.

Been looking for a mechanical kb with a sound-wheel for ages. Now if it just had silent switches, that'd be all I want.

Nzyme32

Yeah, I only found the site today, super handy for a quick glance at pricing relevant to your area and quick link to the relevant stores. I'm not sure how regularly they update but perhaps a screencap in a quote in the op might be a handy quick reference but like you've said it overlaps a lot with the great stuff you've already done and it is particularly large too

NLkcTq7.png

If you don't want to upgrade CPU and mobo, you'll need to start overclocking. Guide here. You definitely need an improvement on that clock speed, the IPC improvements would also be greatly beneficial on new procs.

How much are you looking to spend, total, on the upgrade? Or is it just to get a ballpark of what you might need?

GTX 760 or R9-280X is the sweet spot in terms of performance. Next highest would be the R9-290 which is also a steal. If you don't mind buying used, you can find them for as low as $280-300 right now.

Thanks for the info. I was considering spending $500-600 on the upgrades, which is honestly close to what I paid in the beginning (around $900 I think).

Definitely think a GPU upgrade is in order, but I assume any useful CPU upgrade would also require a new motherboard wouldnt it?

mkenyon

Banned
If you provide the material you could ask for help on formatting and/or graphics.
Seriously, the main contributors in this thread should nail down a day/weekend/whatever to do this. We could delegate all of it and then it wouldn't be so overwhelming.
Thanks for the info. I was considering spending $500-600 on the upgrades, which is honestly close to what I paid in the beginning (around $900 I think).

Definitely think a GPU upgrade is in order, but I assume any useful CPU upgrade would also require a new motherboard wouldnt it?
Yep, new motherboard.

I'd suggest grabbing the GTX 760 or 280X, overclocking your CPU, and start saving for a new mobo/proc. Maybe replace your RAM with something you could use in the next build too, as finding a matching pair for your 4GB would probably be really really difficult.
Yeah, I only found the site today, super handy for a quick glance at pricing relevant to your area and quick link to the relevant stores. I'm not sure how regularly they update but perhaps a screencap in a quote in the op might be a handy quick reference but like you've said it overlaps a lot with the great stuff you've already done and it is particularly large too

NLkcTq7.png
The big difference between that and the OP, is that (when updated routinely) the OP has generally better picks for certain budget ranges. Every single part is deliberated over in excruciating detail. Then we combine parts over all the categories to come up with a solid total package in a given budget range.

Looking at that chart, for example, people might get the impression that if you are buying a 4770K, you should pair it with the NH-U14S, a fairly pricey motherboard, and a PSU that is totally overkill (760W) for a single GPU system. Though it might help people make sense of the relative power of all the things, the way it categorizes also makes it far more confusing, IMO.

Nzyme32

The big difference between that and the OP, is that (when updated routinely) the OP has generally better picks for certain budget ranges. Every single part is deliberated over in excruciating detail. Then we combine parts over all the categories to come up with a solid total package in a given budget range.

Looking at that chart, for example, people might get the impression that if you are buying a 4770K, you should pair it with the NH-U14S, a fairly pricey motherboard, and a PSU that is totally overkill (760W) for a single GPU system. Though it might help people make sense of the relative power of all the things, the way it categorizes also makes it far more confusing, IMO.

Of course. That should have been more obvious to me

Yep, new motherboard.

I'd suggest grabbing the GTX 760 or 280X, overclocking your CPU, and start saving for a new mobo/proc. Maybe replace your RAM with something you could use in the next build too, as finding a matching pair for your 4GB would probably be really really difficult.

Alright, I can probably grab a 760 and 8gb of RAM for around $300 I think. Is the 280x or 290 worth the extra money? I'll begin saving up for the motherboard and CPU.

Is now a good time to upgrade in general? I usually go for last generation parts because I'm no aficionado, but prices look pretty cheap nowadays.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah it is a good time, there isn't anything too close on the horizon, at least in terms of GPUs. A new motherborad chipset just launched (Intel 9 Series), and they'll be releasing the new unlocked CPUs for those within a month.

The 290, 280X, and 760 are all great, and are similar in terms of price:performance. Being worth it is really subjective. I just got a system up and running with the 290 and I really like it.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
just ordered parts to build a new pc :

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3Nbzr

Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3Nbzr/by_merchant/

Benchmarks: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3Nbzr/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.98 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($232.96 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($374.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card ($769.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Evga Supernova 1300G2 Atx12V/Eps12V 1300-watt 80Plus Gold Power Supply 120-G2-1300-Xr"
($214.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.89 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $2542.28 I got it a little less than that using shopbot.ca

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-19 18:31 EDT-0400)

Addnan

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($232.96 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($374.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card ($769.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA Classified 1500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($548.50 @ Vuugo)

Change to a 4770K now if still can.. You are buying some expensive parts to go with it. Not getting an unlocked CPU is kinda crazy.

edit: you edited. ok good.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Change to a 4770K now if still can.. You are buying some expensive parts to go with it. Not getting an unlocked CPU is kinda crazy.

edit: you edited. ok good.

it's a k it's a mistake from me hehe and case is the 1300 watt super nova g2 not this one

mkenyon

Banned

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA Classified 1500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($548.50 @ Vuugo)
Total: $2542.28

You want feedback?

Forgot the K on the 4770, which means you can't overclock it. Your PSU is providing 3x more than what your system will draw at max. If you meant to buy the 4770 as you don't want to OC, then the video card is a strange purchase as it's intended for LN2 benching or a water block.

But, some serious hardware. You could have easily put two 780s in there for the same price or less though. :(

I'm curious why do you need a 1500W power supply?

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
You want feedback?

Forgot the K on the 4770, which means you can't overclock it. Your PSU is providing 3x more than what your system will draw at max. If you meant to buy the 4770 as you don't want to OC, then the video card is a strange purchase as it's intended for LN2 benching or a water block.

But, some serious hardware. You could have easily put two 780s in there for the same price or less though. :(

I plan to oc at 4.5 or more

Lol @ power supply.

I plan to add a second ti

Your motherboard cannot support the number of video cards that power supply is meant for

Skyzard

Banned

As others have said - upgrade to 4770K, you'll want to overclock, especially with watercooling and that gpu. Make sure you have some thermal paste. 250GB runs out really quickly. PSU is almost scary overkill :p

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
As others have said - upgrade to 4770K, you'll want to overclock, especially with watercooling and that gpu. Make sure you have some thermal paste. 250GB runs out really quickly. PSU is almost scary overkill :p

The h105 comes with TIM pre-applied, for the processor it's a k I just made a mistake typing it in pcpickpart.
For the psu it's a 1300 watt not 1500 watt again it's a mistake , my psu is in fact:
Evga Supernova 1300G2 Atx12V/Eps12V 1300-watt 80Plus Gold Power Supply 120-G2-1300-Xr".
For 214.98$ in my book it's really a good price and I will be good for long long time with it and come with 10 years warranty. :)

Bleah.
Not sure how it happened but the fan in my video card went out.
It wasn't my PC that was cooking, just the card.

Hopefully my warranty still covers it. Really no rush to upgrade (Radeon 6870 and most of my games run at 60 fps with max settings)

Kalm

just ordered parts to build a new pc:

Is it too late to cancel, return stuff and/or start over completely?

Assuming that you're building this thing for gaming, you've distributed your budget in all the wrong places. Honestly, in some spots it looks like you just picked stuff with the highest MSRP...

Same budget, much higher performance per dollar:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($257.75 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($113.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($162.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($89.99 @ Memory Express)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($179.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($699.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($699.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($149.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $2550.04

Assuming that you're building this thing for gaming, you've distributed your budget in all the wrong places. Honestly, in some spots it looks like you just picked stuff with the highest MSRP...

Can even pay a little more and go with the 4770k if they want

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

NLkcTq7.png
My issue with Logical Increments is it isn't as compact as it could be. It fills price ranges rather than a goal.

Also I like my case/PSU/HS recommendations more.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Yeah it's more than enough for my system. I've tested each card and they didn't show any artifacts or other GPU signs of defect. So it's looking like motherboard or PSU. Going to try the BSOD tips others have mentioned and see if I can catch what it says next time.

What nvidia drivers are you using? Did you try a different set?
Have you tried running SLI at a lower resolution such as 1080p?
Did you start having the pc crashes before you started using the new monitor or the same day?

TheMink

Was looking at the SS Rival mouse, as well as the Asus VS series (VS247H-P) and/or the Asus VG 144htz but i dont know if its worth the extra buck.

Toughts?

xBladeM6x

I have the most recent K70 (looks exactly like the one in the picture, but not RGB LEDs) and the volume wheel is awesome. The whole keyboard is fucking quality.

The Flash

Banned
I've decided to join the PC Master Race. The Dell Inspiron 1564 that I've rocked for the last four years in college has gotten on my last nerve. I'll be using this thread and pcpartpicker.com to get me started. First thing I'll do is get Skyrim and fire up the Randy Savage mod. Question: are budget PC's like the ones in the OP good for video editing and streaming?

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher

Not really this price doesn't include the taxes with make this system come to 2933.13 taxes include.
Mine is at 2344.99 taxes includes witch make a difference of 588.18$

The board you selected is a z87 mine is a Z97 and i prefer asus board rogue than the gd 45 from msi
Asus usually are more reliable and msi customer service is horrible and killer nic is more trouble asus use intel lan and it's far better as of me.

The psu i choose is far far better for 40$ more(your price don't include the taxe ) now and in long run and come with ten years warranty i can oc my cpu and my gpu without any trouble the power is their and the 780ti claissifed is made for that don't forget i plan to add a second classified soon and I'm gonna oc both of them with the cpu.

the ram you picked is 8 gig (2x4) i prefer go with 16 gig 2x8 from the start, the haswell is not good when you oc with 4 dim, it's better go with 2 dims and i always had a good experience with corsair.
I thank you, for your advice but i feel very comfortable with my choice.

Mothman91

So guys,

I've been with the dark side(imac) for a few years now. Sister bought it as a family desktop. She's getting married, is going to take it so I need to switch over.

I'm very oblivious to this type of stuff, and was seeing if anyone can give me any recommendations(something that's already there and I can just pay). I've been stuck in the dark ages, and I have a budget around ~$500-600.

help pls?

Smokey

Hmmm, so I've tried to play Deus Ex again and NOPE! The game shut down my PC when the actual game started. Same for Far Cry Blood Dragon.
I'm starting to think it's my PSU and hope it's not the CPU.

i know dat feel bro

What nvidia drivers are you using? Did you try a different set?
Have you tried running SLI at a lower resolution such as 1080p?
Did you start having the pc crashes before you started using the new monitor or the same day?

Technically 2560x1600 is a lower resolution :p and it's happened two times at that res if I remember correctly. Started happening when I added the 2nd Ti. Before that I never had a hard PC crash. Can't remember when it was exactly...but I remember talking to MKenyon about it.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Was looking at the SS Rival mouse, as well as the Asus VS series (VS247H-P) and/or the Asus VG 144htz but i dont know if its worth the extra buck.

Toughts?
mkenyon likes the Rival, I haven't tried it.
120/144Hz yes
I've decided to join the PC Master Race. The Dell Inspiron 1564 that I've rocked for the last four years in college has gotten on my last nerve. I'll be using this thread and pcpartpicker.com to get me started. First thing I'll do is get Skyrim and fire up the Randy Savage mod. Question: are budget PC's like the ones in the OP good for video editing and streaming?
Fill out bullet points in OP. How much editing/streaming (what game?)
Not really this price doesn't include the taxes with make this system come to 2933.13 taxes include.

The board you selected is a z87 mine is a Z97 and i prefer asus board rogue than the gd 45 from msi
Asus usually are more reliable and msi customer service is horrible and killer nic is more trouble asus use intel lan and it's far better as of me.

The psu i choose is far far better for 40$ more(your price don't include the taxe ) now and in long run and come with ten years warranty i can oc my cpu and my gpu without any trouble the power is their and the 780ti claissifed is made for that don't forget i plan to add a second classified soon and I'm gonna oc both of them with the cpu.

the ram you picked is 8 gig (2x4) i prefer go with 16 gig 2x8 from the start, the haswell is not good when you oc with 4 dim, it's better go with 2 dims and i always had a good experience with corsair.
Well researched, good parts.
So guys,

I've been with the dark side(imac) for a few years now. Sister bought it as a family desktop. She's getting married, is going to take it so I need to switch over.

I'm very oblivious to this type of stuff, and was seeing if anyone can give me any recommendations(something that's already there and I can just pay). I've been stuck in the dark ages, and I have a budget around ~$500-600.

help pls?
Fill out bullet points in the OP.
Do you mean preassembled? If so nothing at $500-$600 is any good. Gotta put it together yourself. Parts list is easy.

Your PSU is TOO big. That's a waste of money. Everything else is up to you because you're getting good quality parts but that PSU is a total waste.

Edit: you don't have to get 850w but there are very good quality PSU's around 1000W you can go with that have a very powerful 12V rail. $550 for a PSU is way too much.

Mothman91

Sister is taking family computer with her that we've both been using to her apartment because she's getting married. Got asked to fill this in, so here it is:

[Basic Desktop Questions]

Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)
I really have no idea, this is my first computer that I would be building. Something that is ok? That can play games on normal settings atleast?

Budget: Price Range + Country
~$500-600, USA

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, Streaming games in HD, 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Around a 3. Light gaming for sure, no streaming, no programming and such. general usage would be word/web.

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? Are you buying a new monitor?
Definitely a new monitor. I have been on a iMac for awhile now, and I got to say, this monitor is very good.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 120? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?
30 is okay, but I would definitely like everything that I play be able to function on 60 fps. Don't know what the other part of that question is.

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900)
reuse? this will be my first computer that I will build so I actually don't know.

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline?
Computer will be gone by the end of next month, so I would prefer to have it by July

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!)
No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom