• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any particular reason not to upgrade to windows 8? Thinking of making the switch now that I've discovered reddit and the deals. Will I be able to play all my games just like windows 7?

Anything i should know before making the switch?
As with all Windows, you're going to run into compatible issues with older games that weren't built on the OS. Some of them you can easily just use a compatibility mode to get around the problem but some take a lot more research to deal with. It's great for modern games though. Better performance than W7. At this point I think it's about better of an OS than W7 especially with the new update coming. I never understood the UI complaints though because you could always mod it. W8 has come a long way. It sucked at first but is a decent OS now. IMO of course.

Smokey

That sounds like a PSU problem but your 1000W Seasonic should handle things easily. Are all of your cables firmly in place?

Yes they are.

Look under warnings and errors maybe. If your PC shuts down it's almost guaranteed to be a PSU issue. Try BF4 with vsync, it won't use your GPU's as much therefor you might not crash, or disable SLi, if that works you know its your PSU

I disabled SLI and it did complete Heaven benchmark fine.

Smokey, if Windows is suffering a blue-screen crash, then you can configure it to remain on the crash screen instead of restarting instantly.
With some systems, you wont even see the crash message, because the monitor loses sync for a split second and that's enough to miss the screen.

Go to System Properties > Advanced system settings > Start-up and recovery > Settings and un-check Automatically restart.

Thanks, I'll try this.

---
So....

Is there a diagnostic tool out there that can log what happens when your system crashes? I got my 4k monitor last week, and have tried to run Heaven on it 3x, and BF4 1x. The first two Heaven runs I had a heavy OC on my 780Tis. About halfway through the PC completely shut down. Also tried BF4 SP and it got to the intro credits and shut down. The third time I set everything back to default . PC shutdown again when running Heaven.

Event Viewer doesn't tell me anything...all it says is:

The previous system shutdown at 8:27:10 AM on ‎5/‎18/‎2014 was unexpected.

and

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This doesn't really help me a whole lot. I'm leaning towards this being a PSU issue...but I'm not sure :(. Some kind of diagnostic tool would be helpful.

UPDATE: I have taken out both cards and have tried each separately to see if the machine crashes. I have done Heaven, Valley, Metro LL, and Hitman benchmarks and all of them completed successfully.

So at this point it seems to be a PSU issue when it hits a certain load? Even though it's 1000w... It's looking more like a RMA.

kennah

POSSIBLE GAF DEAL

a pair of i5-2550K cpus have come up for ridiculously cheap locally. I could potentially pick them up and pass on to gaf for the $100 plus shipping each. Great for people with an i3 that want to upgrade. Anyone interested?

Jesb

As with all Windows, you're going to run into compatible issues with older games that weren't built on the OS. Some of them you can easily just use a compatibility mode to get around the problem but some take a lot more research to deal with. It's great for modern games though. Better performance than W7. At this point I think it's about better of an OS than W7 especially with the new update coming. I never understood the UI complaints though because you could always mod it. W8 has come a long way. It sucked at first but is a decent OS now. IMO of course.

Thanks, think I'll make the switch. Will I run into any issues doing a clean install if I already have Windows on my system? Seems that I can't get an upgrade key and a fresh install is needed.

So at this point it seems to be a PSU issue when it hits a certain load? Even though it's 1000w... It's looking more like a RMA.

Your PSU is capable of 80A on the single 12v rail. I believe nvidia recommends a psu with a minimum 42A rail for a single card. Maybe your load exceeded that amount especially since you heavily overclocked the cards.

Edit: that's why I was wondering if the problem occurred with both cards running at stock

Smokey

Your PSU is capable of 80A on the single 12v rail. I believe nvidia recommends a psu with a minimum 42A rail for a single card. Maybe your load exceeded that amount especially since you heavily overclocked the cards.

Edit: that's why I was wondering if the problem occurred with both cards running at stock

Yes, the crashes happened at stock in SLI too.

I just completed the first mission of BF4 with a single card. No crash.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'm looking at the Z97 mobos and don't see many reliable reviews for some yet. Are any known to be really good or is it a shot in the dark right now?
pewpewpew

it's z87 all over again
http://rog.asus.com/317482014/asus-...veils-full-range-of-z97-and-h97-motherboards/

look at this shit
stahp
asus pls no
I'll try that, I hope there are no errors. RAM was so cheap that I didn't even look at the voltage :/, thanks Haz
Hopefully not time critical, should be ok.
Yes, the crashes happened at stock in SLI too.

I just completed the first mission of BF4 with a single card. No crash.
Try other PCI-E power cables plugged into a different slot. Try with and without SLi bridge?

NoRéN

POSSIBLE GAF DEAL

a pair of i5-2550K cpus have come up for ridiculously cheap locally. I could potentially pick them up and pass on to gaf for the $100 plus shipping each. Great for people with an i3 that want to upgrade. Anyone interested?

Goddamn!!! Someone take this offer up!

kennah

NoRéN;112538536 said:
Goddamn!!! Someone take this offer up!
I misread the ad lol there is only one available. Gonna go pick it up tomorrow. If no one wants it here I'm sure I can find a good home pretty easily.

Smokey

Try other PCI-E power cables plugged into a different slot. Try with and without SLi bridge?

Dunno if I have any open PCI-E slots on the PSU. It's such a pain getting to it in the FT02...Everything I'm reading is saying it should handle my rig with no problem. I'm not sure about the 12v rail though and if that's being overloaded. Don't really know how that works with PSUs.

What would be the best approach to getting somebody in the US a 1000 dollar complete system (KB&M; Monitor + Tower) these days? I'm tempted to target a high end processor and mid range vid card, but not really sure. The 800 dollarish build in OP looks like a good start, maybe remove the SSD as something they can add in later?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
What would be the best approach to getting somebody in the US a 1000 dollar complete system (KB&M; Monitor + Tower) these days? I'm tempted to target a high end processor and mid range vid card, but not really sure. The 800 dollarish build in OP looks like a good start, maybe remove the SSD as something they can add in later?

Yeah that is based on the build Hazaro helped me put together for my first PC a few years back. I paid about $800 total for everything and it's a decent system that can play things about medium/high settings for most games.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Keep SSD if possible, prices are lower now
Z97 Mobo
R9 270X
CX600M is on sale with rebate right now, not my favorite choice but you can't beat it for $35 AR, otherwise EVGA Bronze 500/600W

dmr87

Gods will the 800 series ever come out

D:

I know, right? I've been waiting for them to come out and every day we don't get any news about them makes me wonder if buying a 760 or 770 would be a good idea, especially since they have Watch Dogs bundled in (which is why I planned to update my GPU in the first place).

Can't wait anymore. Just ordered a GTX 770 for $319, and I'm planning to sell the Watch Dogs code to offset the price a little. I have a 1440p monitor, and my GTS 250 can't handle shit. I'm having trouble running a 5 year old game (mirror's edge) with decent framerates.

Should be fun

I cracked months ago and am running a 780. Even so, I will flip this for an 880 as soon as it becomes available. Should be able to recover a significant chunk of my initial investment.

I'm there with you, I'm probably buying a 780ti in a week or two. I'm running out of patience.

The only thing I've seen on new cards are these two articles, a new high end card from AMD this summer and 880 cards in June. I don't know how reliable the site is in general. I know June is right around the corner so I should wait and see if anything happens but I just want to be done with my build.

GM2xx GPUs will be the base for GeForce GTX 800 series, which will be released in few months. We expect GeForce GTX 880 in June.
http://videocardz.com/50301/nvidia-preparing-maxwell-gm204-kepler-gk210-gpus

I have recently had a very interesting conversation with one of the add-in-board partners of AMD. They told me that Radeon R9 290X will soon be replaced with a new graphics card. Graphics card that would take the performance crown back from GTX 780 TI.
http://videocardz.com/50472/amd-launch-new-flagship-radeon-graphics-card-summer

Ashhong

I would definitely keep the SSD. SSD is so ridiculously beneficial it's not even funny. But if you have to include a monitor into your build cost..you are going to have to skimp on other things. Consider a decent video card like the R7 265 or R9 270. I don't know if that is considered mid-range but I have the 270 and it's great.

Hieberrr

I'm having a really weird issue with my new W8.1 install. I've done a fresh install 3 times now and it still happens. After playing a game, my start button disappears from the start menu - so it doesn't appear when I put my cursor on the bottom-left corner. I also can't launch the charms (not that I really need to) either.

GxM1d0J.png

i5-4430
GTX 750Ti
W8.1

I'm having a really weird issue with my new W8.1 install. I've done a fresh install 3 times now and it still happens. After playing a game, my start button disappears from the start menu - so it doesn't appear when I put my cursor on the bottom-left corner. I also can't launch the charms (not that I really need to) either.

i5-4430
GTX 750Ti
W8.1

Not sure I understand the problem here. Your pic has the start button. Also if it's gone, is it still un-clickable? As far as the charms, make sure the check box is check in your task bar properties.

LordAlu

Should be able to get something really nice. Best to find out what monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers or headset they want, take them out of the budget and work with whatever is left.

Gvaz

Banned
I can subjectively say it sounds much better than the onboard Creative (Recon-based) chip on the M5. Like, no fucking question.

I use AKG Q701s. I'd imagine any of the great >$100 headsets would. DT990 Pros come to mind.

The way I use my computer now is doing toslink passthrough to a shitty old 5.1 reciever i'll replace soon. Those are hooked up to big floor speakers (like you know the ones from the 80s? Yeah) and will get a sub soon.

is that card good for something like that?

So....

Is there a diagnostic tool out there that can log what happens when your system crashes? I got my 4k monitor last week, and have tried to run Heaven on it 3x, and BF4 1x. The first two Heaven runs I had a heavy OC on my 780Tis. About halfway through the PC completely shut down. Also tried BF4 SP and it got to the intro credits and shut down. The third time I set everything back to default . PC shutdown again when running Heaven.

Event Viewer doesn't tell me anything...all it says is:

The previous system shutdown at 8:27:10 AM on ‎5/‎18/‎2014 was unexpected.

and

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This doesn't really help me a whole lot. I'm leaning towards this being a PSU issue...but I'm not sure :(. Some kind of diagnostic tool would be helpful.

What I use at work:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Renekton

Any particular reason not to upgrade to windows 8? Thinking of making the switch now that I've discovered reddit and the deals. Will I be able to play all my games just like windows 7?

Anything i should know before making the switch?
W8 has a weird roundabout way of doing things which were simple back in W7, one of which is putting a game launcher shortcut on your desktop.

dwells

Big if, unlocking that dual core phenom II
It only works on certain motherboards and then you ofc still need to be lucky that it was a working x4 used for supply purposes and not an actual faulty one

Depending what you want to play that pc can be worked with
for league/diablo/dota and last gen console ports a hd4870 is not bad at all, for more demanding stuff you're going to have to play on medium without AA for sure. (I had this card until late 2011)

that cpu as a dual core is also ok depending on what you want to play, but any cpu heavy game (ac4/saints row4/gta4/arma/ns2/bf3/guild wars2 etc) is not going to play well
I have the 3 core version which was barely decent enough for bf3 multiplayer but shit in saints row4 and useless in gw2, works well enough (45+ minimum fps) in about 90 percent of games.

30 euros for that stuff is pretty nice, it's a shame you don't have a case and some ram lying around though as spending a bunch of money on it makes it a lot less nice...

If you can somehow make it a full build with a phenom II x4 (if you can find one for 50 euros or less it's worth it as it matches the ivy bridge i3s) for under 200 euros total (counting the 30 you already spent) then that is a pretty sweet budget gaming pc for so little money.

Optional upgrades would be a second hand 6870 (50 euros or so second hand? idk) or that 260x (100 euros) they are not that far apart maybe 30 percent performance difference.

base 30+50 for a case + 20 for a cpu cooler + 40 for ram + <60 for a phenom II x4 adds up to 200 then the gpu is up to you (260x is almost twice as powerful as that 4870 I believe, but has dx11 support obviously)
I would seriously suggest looking into buying second hand ram and a second hand case on the cheap (don't buy a second hand cooler though), you're not making a new build there is no need to spend on new parts

In short, for 200-250 euros you can have a (albeit cpu bottlenecked in certain games) pretty nice gaming pc for 1080p 60 fps
I think it's worth it, considering if you want any more cpu performance it's going to cost you a whole lot more (at least 250 euros for an intel cpu and mobo combo with a non-oc i5)
You have a ticket into budget pc gaming for really cheap with the stuff your friend sold you

Hey, thanks a bunch for the reply - lots of useful info.

sorry for posting this again but didnt get an answer

how is this build and what can i improve?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($257.75 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($169.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.79 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.75 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($269.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.75 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-16D1HT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($95.00 @ Vuugo)
Total: $1489.99 canadian

also what would the best method be for a tv tuner?
and getting a stupid windows 8 error that even microsoft cant help me with.

anyone have this problem and no what to do with it? im trying to reintall windows and have tried on multiple different connections and OS

beast786

Hey guys,

I looking for a Mac laptop . Range of budget 1500-2000$. Mainly for business use with some gaming, this will be my first Mac hence not much knowledge about it.
Also, one of my work software is non Mac compatible . How is the experience of windows on Mac and can I run windows 7, and on the go switch back to iOS or would it need reboot?

Thanks

riflen

Dunno if I have any open PCI-E slots on the PSU. It's such a pain getting to it in the FT02...Everything I'm reading is saying it should handle my rig with no problem. I'm not sure about the 12v rail though and if that's being overloaded. Don't really know how that works with PSUs.

If it's a help to have a point of reference, I have 2 x 780 Ti (slightly over-clocked from reference, 1200Mhz boost clock on a standard BIOS) running from a HX850 (the older 80 plus silver model). That PSU can handle 70amps on the 12v rail. Also in the system is a 3570K @ 4.5Ghz (~1.28v), 4 x DIMMs, a pump, 10 fans, 2 x SSD and an optical drive. I've only tested total power consumption once under load during BF4 multiplayer and it was ~560watts.
I should also say that I've never had PSU-related issues on this PC.

MisterM

Hey guys,

I looking for a Mac laptop . Range of budget 1500-2000$. Mainly for business use with some gaming, this will be my first Mac hence not much knowledge about it.
Also, one of my work software is non Mac compatible . How is the experience of windows on Mac and can I run windows 7, and on the go switch back to iOS or would it need reboot?

Thanks

You can use something like VMware Fusion or Parallels to switch between Windows and OSX on the fly but if you're doing anything serious with Windows I'd highly recommend boot camp...you will need to reboot when you want to switch but you'll get 100% of your resources dedicated to either OSX or Windows...and its free to do (you need a valid Windows licence though).

Windows works very well on a Mac.

Hieberrr

Not sure I understand the problem here. Your pic has the start button. Also if it's gone, is it still un-clickable? As far as the charms, make sure the check box is check in your task bar properties.
Yeah, sometimes it completely disappears from the start menu. Sometimes the start button becomes unclickable on the desktop as well, so I have to resort to the Windows key in my keyboard.

beast786

You can use something like VMware Fusion or Parallels to switch between Windows and OSX on the fly but if you're doing anything serious with Windows I'd highly recommend boot camp...you will need to reboot when you want to switch but you'll get 100% of your resources dedicated to either OSX or Windows...and its free to do (you need a valid Windows licence though).

Windows works very well on a Mac.

thanks you.

Any recommendation on that price budget :)

Yeah, sometimes it completely disappears from the start menu. Sometimes the start button becomes unclickable on the desktop as well, so I have to resort to the Windows key in my keyboard.

That is strange. Never seen it before.

However, I almost always install Classicshell or Start8 so that surely would have an impact on this. Classicshell is free so maybe you should try installing it just to see what happens with the Start button.

Does anyone know how much I could sell this for:

ASRock H87 Pro4
Intel Core i5 4670 / 3.4 GHz
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 (1TB HDD)
Palit GeForce GTX 770
XFX Core Edition PRO550W
Samsung 840 EVO Basic
LG 22EN43T-B (22" scherm)
Corsair Carbide Series 200R (case)
Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP (8GB RAM)

I've had it for almost a year. Still works perfectly, but I'm just not gaming that much anymore...

If I can't ask this here: sorry!

Thanks.

Smokey

If it's a help to have a point of reference, I have 2 x 780 Ti (slightly over-clocked from reference, 1200Mhz boost clock on a standard BIOS) running from a HX850 (the older 80 plus silver model). That PSU can handle 70amps on the 12v rail. Also in the system is a 3570K @ 4.5Ghz (~1.28v), 4 x DIMMs, a pump, 10 fans, 2 x SSD and an optical drive. I've only tested total power consumption once under load during BF4 multiplayer and it was ~560watts.
I should also say that I've never had PSU-related issues on this PC.

Yeah it's more than enough for my system. I've tested each card and they didn't show any artifacts or other GPU signs of defect. So it's looking like motherboard or PSU. Going to try the BSOD tips others have mentioned and see if I can catch what it says next time.

Zaru

ASRock H87 Pro4
Palit GeForce GTX 770
XFX Core Edition PRO550W
Samsung 840 EVO Basic

I've had it for almost a year. Still works perfectly, but I'm just not gaming that much anymore...

Thanks.
Well how much did you pay for it? The GTX 770 had a notable price drop in the last year, I think. Put those components into something like PCPartpicker and see what they would cost new, then subtract a notable amount to account for being used for a year and then even more to incentivize someone to buy your system over a new one.

I take it you are from Belgium(?) so use the German pricing from PCPartpicker to get a realistic estimate.

kennah

ASRock H87 Pro4
Palit GeForce GTX 770
XFX Core Edition PRO550W
Samsung 840 EVO Basic

Thanks.

Really depends where you are located. Prices vary quite a bit by region.

Hope this is the right thread to ask this question. If not, please feel free to yell at me and redirect me where to go.

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, but don't want to risk bottlenecking myself. I'm not 100% sure how the CPU/GPU bottleneck works, so I'll just list my specs right now:

Intel i7 2600k OC'd to 4.3ghz (Sandy Bridge)
ASUS z77 Sabertooth Motherboard
EVGA GTX 580 Fermi
Storage is separated between an SSD I use for Win7 and the rest is on a few different WD Black drives.

I'd like to upgrade to a GTX 780, but will I also need to upgrade my CPU?

Hope this is the right thread to ask this question. If not, please feel free to yell at me and redirect me where to go.

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, but don't want to risk bottlenecking myself. I'm not 100% sure how the CPU/GPU bottleneck works, so I'll just list my specs right now:

Intel i7 2600k OC'd to 4.3ghz (Sandy Bridge)
ASUS z77 Sabertooth Motherboard
EVGA GTX 580 Fermi
Storage is separated between an SSD I use for Win7 and the rest is on a few different WD Black drives.

I'd like to upgrade to a GTX 780, but will I also need to upgrade my CPU?

So, some games demand more of the CPU than others, but most of the time it is the GPU. If you are going on higher resolutions you need a better GPU.

You won't have too much trouble being bottlenecked by the 2600K. Pretty much every game will be GPU-limited with that so a 780 would be a very good upgrade.

Yeah it's more than enough for my system. I've tested each card and they didn't show any artifacts or other GPU signs of defect. So it's looking like motherboard or PSU. Going to try the BSOD tips others have mentioned and see if I can catch what it says next time.

How about the SLI bridge? Have you tried a different one?

Edit: Can't think of anything else lol

So I took the advice from a few pages back, and upgraded my cooler to a Hyper Cooler 212 Evo. But now, I can't get my PC to start. The power light comes on, but nothing else. I thought maybe I damaged the MOBO, so I took it to a PC repair place to diagnose it. Instead of diagnosing it, I get a call two days later, and the guy (unfortunately English is not his native language, and it's hard for me to explain the details of what I want him to do with my PC) tells me he replaced my cooler with a stock intel cooler, and that now it works. I told him that's not what I wanted and that my cooler is brand new and should work perfectly fine. He tells me that it's too big for my case and motherboard, and that it was making a loud sound and bending the motherboard.

Does that make sense? Everything online says a z77 board and lga1155 cpu should be perfectly fine with this cooler. The only thing I can think of is I forgot to remove the old thermal paste and reapply the new one (I just applied the new paste on top). Could that be the problem? Any help would be extremely appreciated. I work almost all week and don't have a lot of time when I get home, so I'd like to figure out the problem ASAP.

Nothing existing bottlenecks that cpu. Read the title of the thread ;)

i also don't believe in bottlenecks

ROFL thanks. I've been keeping up with the upgrades from Sandy/Ivy/Haswell, and I noticed that the speeds are always relatively the same. I figured I was safe, but didn't want to start blowing money like an idiot.

So, some games demand more of the CPU than others, but most of the time it is the GPU. If you are going on higher resolutions you need a better GPU.

You won't have too much trouble being bottlenecked by the 2600K. Pretty much every game will be GPU-limited with that so a 780 would be a very good upgrade.

Thanks. The 580 has been REALLY good to me since 2010, but it's beginning to show its age. I was surprised Dark Souls 2 ran at 60fps without a problem, honestly. Thanks for the insight!

Well how much did you pay for it? The GTX 770 had a notable price drop in the last year, I think. Put those components into something like PCPartpicker and see what they would cost new, then subtract a notable amount to account for being used for a year and then even more to incentivize someone to buy your system over a new one.

I take it you are from Belgium(?) so use the German pricing from PCPartpicker to get a realistic estimate.

Yup, Belgium. I'll take a look, thanks!

And I paid &#8364;1200 for everything - which is about $1650 according to Google.

riflen

So I took the advice from a few pages back, and upgraded my cooler to a Hyper Cooler 212 Evo. But now, I can't get my PC to start. The power light comes on, but nothing else. I thought maybe I damaged the MOBO, so I took it to a PC repair place to diagnose it. Instead of diagnosing it, I get a call two days later, and the guy (Korean, and barely can speak English) tells me he replaced my cooler with a stock intel cooler, and that now it works. I told him that's not what I wanted and that my cooler is brand new and should work perfectly fine. He tells me that it's too big for my case and motherboard, and that it was making a loud sound and bending the motherboard.

Does that make sense? Everything online says a z77 board and lga1155 cpu should be perfectly fine with this cooler. The only thing I can think of is I forgot to remove the old thermal paste and reapply the new one (I just applied the new paste on top). Could that be the problem? Any help would be extremely appreciated. I work almost all week and don't have a lot of time when I get home, so I'd like to figure out the problem ASAP.

It's plausible that the problem is just as the chap described. Is your PC in a tower case? In some cases those massive coolers can put too much strain on the motherboard and cause it to distort. Especially if they're not mounted as securely as possible. It could lead to a short, or even permanent damage.
BTW, you might want to edit your post to remove the casual racism. It's not relevant whether the guy is Korean.

Dave_6

Anyone ever have a Fractal R4 that 'buzzes'? Mine is about to drive me nuts. I can press my hand on the top or side panel and it stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom