• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serandur

Does anyone know what's up with AVX2 heating up Haswell to seemingly unsafe temperatures? Check out this anandtech thread where the OP claims that the stock heatsink at stock settings will heat up to 100C with AVX2 instruction stress tests.

I believe him. I build quite a few PCs at work, and I'm teaching technicians how to do it so I can focus on more appropriate software development tasks.

With Haswell CPUs I have found that a really good closed loop cooler at a mere 1.25V fixed VCore will heat up to nearly 90C at 4.3 GHz with AVX2. I do this with Prime95 small FFTs. That's just fucking nuts. Without AVX2 these things barely hit 70C. I could easily jack up VCore to 1.3V and get most CPUs to 4.5 GHz, so this is lowering potential OCs.

Should we not worry about this considering Intel's own stock cooler/settings hits 100C?

Is Broadwell going to get rid of this absolute garbage thermal solder between the die/shield? Because with the same settings on Sandy Bridge at 4.6 GHz and 1.3 VCore, I barely breach 55C.

AVX2 primarily heats up Haswell by, outside of manual mode, allowing the CPU to receive up to 0.1v more than what you've got it set to, presumably for stability reasons. But on top of that, AVX even with the older chips did heat them up more than without and AVX2 is no different in that regard, even with a fixed voltage. Intel's thermal solution is inadequate at this point, certainly.

Devil's Canyon (the Haswell Refresh) is supposedly fixing the thermal issues (though Intel haven't disclosed how, aside from ambiguous "improved thermal interface" and "better packaging" type statements), so hopefully that carries over to all future CPUs. I'm curious how Intel will continue managing voltage usage under heavy AVX load, though, as that's my primary complaint with the current chips and Skylake is supposed to feature some monstrous 512-bit AVX3.2.

Sister is taking family computer with her that we've both been using to her apartment because she's getting married. Got asked to fill this in, so here it is:

I had to dig pretty deep on this one but here's a solution;

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4
RAM: A-DATA 8GB XPG DDR3-1600
GPU: HIS Radeon R7 260X
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD
PSU: eVGA 500W 80-Plus PSU
Case: NZXT Source 210
Total Price: ~$550, if you shopped around for similar or the exact same parts on PCPartpicker probably closer to $525.

Now if you needed to make room budget-wise for a Monitor and Keyboard and Mouse you could drop down to the Haswell-based Pentiums without taking a massive performance loss, but it's definitely a loss. This system will do most things well enough, but isn't a top tier gaming machine.

How come?

Because it's a $230 Motherboard, and 90% of the people who buy it don't use most of the features. They would be better served by a nice mid-range motherboard and getting bigger and better SSD's or GPU's. There is really no reason to ever buy that thing but for some reason it pops up in builds once a page.

Jesb

So I'm a little peeved that windows 8.1 doesn't allow you to not have a password on startup. Is there anyway around this? I was use to having steam launch as soon as I turn on my pc, now I cant do that anymore until I enter a password. I want to treat my pc as a console where I turn it on and play right away without touching a keyboard.

Mothman91

I had to dig pretty deep on this one but here's a solution;

CPU: Intel Core i3-4330
Motherboard: ASRock B85 Pro4
RAM: A-DATA 8GB XPG DDR3-1600
GPU: HIS Radeon R7 260X
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB HDD
PSU: eVGA 500W 80-Plus PSU
Total Price: ~$550, if you shopped around for similar or the exact same parts on PCPartpicker probably closer to $525.

Now if you needed to make room budget-wise for a Monitor and Keyboard and Mouse you could drop down to the Haswell-based Pentiums without taking a massive performance loss, but it's definitely a loss. This system will do most things well enough, but isn't a top tier gaming machine.
wow, thanks alot for this. going to save this post and see what will happen soon.

appreciate it!!

maneil99

So I'm a little peeved that windows 8.1 doesn't allow you to not have a password on startup. Is there anyway around this? I was use to having steam launch as soon as I turn on my pc, now I cant do that anymore until I enter a password. I want to treat my pc as a console where I turn it on and play right away without touching a keyboard.
It does, use an offline account and dont type anything in the pswd field

IMACOMPUTA

So... I need a new case.
I've been hanging on to this CM Storm Scout, but its like a fuckin' Frankenstein now.
I've had to cut it and remove hdd bays to fit various GPU's throughout the years. I've got HDD's just dangling in the case not mounted or anything..

And from what I've read, it doesn't really have a huge effect.. but I'm unable to fit my 780TI into my x16 PCI-E port. I can only get it into the 8x port.

I had always thought I wanted a Fractal R4.
Should I go with that one? I'm looking for something that will fit any gpu config and have good airflow. Quiet would be a plus, too.

I will miss the handle of the storm scout, but it's time to retire this hunk of junk.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
wow, thanks alot for this. going to save this post and see what will happen soon.

appreciate it!!
Only change to this is to get a Z97 motherboard so you can upgrade later. It will save you a LOT of hassle and money. Even if it's an ASRock Pro 3 or some $110 board.

mkenyon

Banned
Because it's a $230 Motherboard, and 90% of the people who buy it don't use most of the features. They would be better served by a nice mid-range motherboard and getting bigger and better SSD's or GPU's. There is really no reason to ever buy that thing but for some reason it pops up in builds once a page.
Not no reason. It's really pretty.

Why are you so angry? How is your situation at home?

It's looking like Wolfenstein is tangibly benefiting from hyperthreading from some of the anecdotal evidence so far. I think more and more it's becoming much easier to recommend an i7 for gaming and I fully expect Watch Dogs to be the crowning example of this. So if you've got the budget for it, the extra cash is beginning to look worth it if you want longevity.

Kalm

Not really this price doesn't include the taxes with make this system come to 2933.13 taxes include.
Mine is at 2344.99 taxes includes witch make a difference of 588.18$

The board you selected is a z87 mine is a Z97 and i prefer asus board rogue than the gd 45 from msi
Asus usually are more reliable and msi customer service is horrible and killer nic is more trouble asus use intel lan and it's far better as of me.

The psu i choose is far far better for 40$ more(your price don't include the taxe ) now and in long run and come with ten years warranty i can oc my cpu and my gpu without any trouble the power is their and the 780ti claissifed is made for that don't forget i plan to add a second classified soon and I'm gonna oc both of them with the cpu.

the ram you picked is 8 gig (2x4) i prefer go with 16 gig 2x8 from the start, the haswell is not good when you oc with 4 dim, it's better go with 2 dims and i always had a good experience with corsair.
I thank you, for your advice but i feel very comfortable with my choice.

I wasn't trying to make you feel sh*tty about your new build, mate. If you're happy with it, that's great; it'll be one hell of a machine as it is.

There's just a lot more power to be squeezed from that $2500 and it's never too late to return stuff. :)

Just because I can't help myself, I'll respond to your notes and explain my changes:

Budget
Taxes are definitely not included in the build you posted. When it comes to budget, our builds are nearly identical.

Motherboard
I picked the MSI board because it's the best bang for your buck, features-wise. The price is misleading as it's overpriced in Canada for some reason. You can have it shipped from the US for around $145'ish -- $15 cheaper than the sans-tax, Canadian MSRP. I chose a Z87 board because your build does not take advantage of the Z97 feature-set. Unless you plan on scrapping your $330 cpu and/or $190 ssd within a year, there's no need to upgrade just yet.

Memory
The memory I selected is two sticks of 4gb, not four sticks of 2gb. Going from 8gb to 16gb will have zero performance impact unless you plan on running a massive ramdisk partition. Also, it shouldn't have to be stated that spending more cash on memory than you did on your high-end cpu is a huge red flag.

Graphics
The card you chose is perfect on it's own but as you mentioned that you planned to go SLI in the future, I selected a card with a reference cooler installed. In my experience, running two ACX-type cards in SLI usually leads to throttling in the top card and generally causes heat issues for the entire case. I suppose you could always make your second card a reference model and switch things around so that the ACX card is in the bottom slot...but the 7-series coolers are extremely quiet and efficient anyway so the need for third-party solutions is less now than it was in the past. Personal preference, really.

Power
As many others have mentioned, the psu you chose is absolutely overkill for your build. You could add a second gpu and overclock every component to it's maximum voltage and not even hit 60% load on that unit.

qKaC3K

So I bought an ASROCK Z87 Extreme4 with an INTEL Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz and a CORSAIR Hydro Series H60.

Everything seems to be working fine but I have weird idle temps when checking the CPU temp in the BIOS.

Hwinfo and realtemp shows 30-33 idle temp in windows 8.1 but in the bios it could go as high as 45.

Anyone seen something similar happen?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
how many watts does having a non-ssd hdd take?

I have like, 5 in the system.
~3W idle ~10W load
It's looking like Wolfenstein is tangibly benefiting from hyperthreading from some of the anecdotal evidence so far. I think more and more it's becoming much easier to recommend an i7 for gaming and I fully expect Watch Dogs to be the crowning example of this. So if you've got the budget for it, the extra cash is beginning to look worth it if you want longevity.
I'll keep it in mind
So I bought an ASROCK Z87 Extreme4 with an INTEL Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz and a CORSAIR Hydro Series H60.

Everything seems to be working fine but I have weird idle temps when checking the CPU temp in the BIOS.

Hwinfo and realtemp shows 30-33 idle temp in windows 8.1 but in the bios it could go as high as 45.

Anyone seen something similar happen?
Normal

Skyzard

Banned
The h105 comes with TIM pre-applied, for the processor it's a k I just made a mistake typing it in pcpickpart.
For the psu it's a 1300 watt not 1500 watt again it's a mistake , my psu is in fact:
Evga Supernova 1300G2 Atx12V/Eps12V 1300-watt 80Plus Gold Power Supply 120-G2-1300-Xr".
For 214.98$ in my book it's really a good price and I will be good for long long time with it and come with 10 years warranty. :)

Ah okay that's awesome then. My h100i had really poor pre-applied thermal paste, always nice to cake it then apply properly.
Still that hdd - 250 will run out quick! What with games taking 50GB on average and needing about 100 for the basics like TF2, BF4 etc. I keep a few on my SSD and the rest on externals but even with 500 it wasn't all that comfortable on the main.

The rig is going to be sweet, try not to overload on getting games for the thing, you won't know where to begin, everything will be sweet on max, some games even 2560 (even for downsampling) and max settings with a clock at about 4.4. Enjoy! I'm still in the honeymoon phase, upgraded (from nothing) to a very similar spec machine a week or two ago.

Btw how do you plan on fitting in the plants in that case? I assume that's what you're using the extra 700 watts for :p

I was going to wait for the 880 but I've got the opportunity to buy an Asus 780ti for $350 Aussie dollars. Should I go for it?

If I could sell my 670 for around $250 then that's a damn good upgrade for the price.

TheMink

mkenyon likes the Rival, I haven't tried it.
120/144Hz yes

So if i were to use dual monitors would you go for just one 144htz for the main screen and a regular for you alt? Or would you splurge and get two. Im trying to see if there is even a reason to get two of them.

Seanspeed

Banned
I was going to wait for the 880 but I've got the opportunity to buy an Asus 780ti for $350 Aussie dollars. Should I go for it?

If I could sell my 670 for around $250 then that's a damn good upgrade for the price.
Sounds too good to be true, but if legit, then that's fucking robbery. You'd be an idiot not to.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
I wasn't trying to make you feel sh*tty about your new build, mate. If you're happy with it, that's great; it'll be one hell of a machine as it is.

There's just a lot more power to be squeezed from that $2500 and it's never too late to return stuff. :)

Just because I can't help myself, I'll respond to your notes and explain my changes:

Budget
Taxes are definitely not included in the build you posted. When it comes to budget, our builds are nearly identical.

Motherboard
I picked the MSI board because it's the best bang for your buck, features-wise. The price is misleading as it's overpriced in Canada for some reason. You can have it shipped from the US for around $145'ish -- $15 cheaper than the sans-tax, Canadian MSRP. I chose a Z87 board because your build does not take advantage of the Z97 feature-set. Unless you plan on scrapping your $330 cpu and/or $190 ssd within a year, there's no need to upgrade just yet.

Memory
The memory I selected is two sticks of 4gb, not four sticks of 2gb. Going from 8gb to 16gb will have zero performance impact unless you plan on running a massive ramdisk partition. Also, it shouldn't have to be stated that spending more cash on memory than you did on your high-end cpu is a huge red flag.

Graphics
The card you chose is perfect on it's own but as you mentioned that you planned to go SLI in the future, I selected a card with a reference cooler installed. In my experience, running two ACX-type cards in SLI usually leads to throttling in the top card and generally causes heat issues for the entire case. I suppose you could always make your second card a reference model and switch things around so that the ACX card is in the bottom slot...but the 7-series coolers are extremely quiet and efficient anyway so the need for third-party solutions is less now than it was in the past. Personal preference, really.

Power
As many others have mentioned, the psu you chose is absolutely overkill for your build. You could add a second gpu and overclock every component to it's maximum voltage and not even hit 60% load on that unit.

Order Summary:
Shipping Details : (orders will arrive in 2 shipments)
Order #: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Shipping Method: Standard-Shipping
Items: CDN$ 1,675.51
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00
------
Total before tax: CDN$ 1,675.51
Estimated GST/HST: CDN$ 83.78
Estimated PST/RST/QST: CDN$ 167.13
------
Order Total: CDN$ 1,926.42
Sold by: Amazon.com.ca, Inc

www.directcanada.com

This order will ship Free Ground Shipping.
This order is FULLY insured for the full value.
Shipping & Handling
Insurance
Sub Total
GST(5%)
No PST - Outside BC residents
Total
$0.00
$5.89
$392.75
$19.93
$0.00
$
$418.57

Total 418.57+1926.42=2344.99 taxes includes

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
Ah okay that's awesome then. My h100i had really poor pre-applied thermal paste, always nice to cake it then apply properly.
Still that hdd - 250 will run out quick! What with games taking 50GB on average and needing about 100 for the basics like TF2, BF4 etc. I keep a few on my SSD and the rest on externals but even with 500 it wasn't all that comfortable on the main.

The rig is going to be sweet, try not to overload on getting games for the thing, you won't know where to begin, everything will be sweet on max, some games even 2560 (even for downsampling) and max settings with a clock at about 4.4. Enjoy! I'm still in the honeymoon phase, upgraded (from nothing) to a very similar spec machine a week or two ago.

Btw how do you plan on fitting in the plants in that case? I assume that's what you're using the extra 700 watts for :p

I have a 7200 1tb I have from my old computer I'm gonna use as second hd till I add another ssd bigger

The Flash

Banned
Fill out bullet points in OP. How much editing/streaming (what game?)
I'll be editing and streaming gameplay with an Elgato. Mostly for console games but I imagine I'll want to recorded/stream/edit GTAV whenever it comes out on PC. Definitely with Skyrim. Basically I would like to be able to capture and stream gameplay at the same time and also edit HD videos without my PC having a heart attack each time. So with that in mind, do I need a beefy processor or video card or whatever?

CPU: Intel i5 4430 4C/4T
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
RAM: 1.35V / 1.5V 2x4GB (8GB)
Graphics: GTX 660 2GB
SSD: Sandisk SSD 64GB
Storage 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX
Power: Antec VP450

Thretau

For a budget PC (~450€) that's going to run a GTX 570 which of these CPU's would be the best choice? PC would only be used for gaming.

i3 4130 -- 112.90€
FX-4350 -- 109.00€
FX-6350 -- 129.00€

Or would it be a better long-term solution to just raise the budget to 500€ and buy i5-4440 for 179.00€?

kennah

i3 allows a better upgrade path. If you can stretch the budget an i5 would possibly last longer.

Your best bet would be to get used parts.

Seanbob11

Hey guys, need some advice.

I ordered an Asus motherboard from Amazon UK for my new build. It arrived on the 14th April but I've been away so I only opened it today. I was looking over it and I saw what I think could be a bent pin? Here's the image:
hsB16Jy.jpg

I;m talking about the bottom left, does this look like a bent pin to you guys too, or is that supposed to be there.

If it is a bent pin, the 30 day return just expired 6 days ago with Amazon. Do you think I should give them a try or should I just go straight to Asus with this?

Thanks a lot.

Shujah

Neo Member
anyone want to give me some suggested builds?

So I am heading to college next year, and currently I have $2000 to spend on a computer. So what I was thinking is to have a Chromebook (about $300) to use for classes, and a nice portable desktop for gaming. So lets say $1600-$1700 for the budget, and I would also need a 1080p monitor.

Thanks!

Your Current : None
Budget: 1600-1700 USD
Main Use: Light Gaming:3, Gaming:5 , Emulation (PS2/Wii)(3), Video Editing(4), Streaming games in HD, General Usage:5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p monitor, I will need a decent one.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: perfer 60fps+, along with maxed out settings of current and future games
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: Summer
Will you be overclocking?: Yes

kennah

anyone want to give me some suggested builds?

So I am heading to college next year, and currently I have $2000 to spend on a computer. So what I was thinking is to have a Chromebook (about $300) to use for classes, and a nice portable desktop for gaming. So lets say $1600-$1700 for the budget.

Thanks!

Read the OP my son (and wait two weeks for Devil's Canyon)

maneil99

Hey guys, need some advice.

I ordered an Asus motherboard from Amazon UK for my new build. It arrived on the 14th April but I've been away so I only opened it today. I was looking over it and I saw what I think could be a bent pin? Here's the image:

I;m talking about the bottom left, does this look like a bent pin to you guys too, or is that supposed to be there.

If it is a bent pin, the 30 day return just expired 6 days ago with Amazon. Do you think I should give them a try or should I just go straight to Asus with this?

Thanks a lot.
Looks like it, try with amazon, tell them you just opened it today, they are usually pretty good

So I'm at 4.7ghz/1.18v 3570k, temps are nice and cool, below 70c 24hrs on prime, I've been like this for months now, think its worth pushing to 4.9 now? Likely not right?

Seanbob11

Looks like it, try with amazon, tell them you just opened it today, they are usually pretty good

So I'm at 4.7ghz/1.18v 3570k, temps are nice and cool, below 70c 24hrs on prime, I've been like this for months now, think its worth pushing to 4.9 now? Likely not right?

Tried Amazon. They gave me a free returns label instantly. Fantastic CS.

Thorgal

Quick question : if i want to upgrade my CPU in the future would it be wise to wait until 6 and 8 Core CPU's Haswell -E are at an lower price ?

maneil99

Quick question : if i want to upgrade my CPU in the future would it be wise to wait until 6 and 8 Core CPU's Haswell -E are at an lower price ?

Haswell E will be a dead end so after it comes out you won't get anymore support, almost impossible to buy a CPU future proof chipset

Thorgal

Haswell E will be a dead end so after it comes out you won't get anymore support, almost impossible to buy a CPU future proof chipset

What would you recommend ?

This 3770 is still doing well but i fear the fact that it is not overklockable will later drag my system down if it isn't already .

My thought process was : "if i want to buy an overklock-able CPU later i might as well buy a much better one hence thinking of 8 Cores.

maneil99

What would you recommend ?

This 3770 is still doing well but i fear the fact that it is not overklockable will later drag my system down if it isn't already .

My thought process was : "if i want to buy an overklock-able CPU later i might as well buy a much better one hence thinking of 8 Cores.

What Motherboard do you have, might be best to get rid of the 3770and get a 3770k. No matter what CPU you get you get screwed because Intel changes the socket type so often. Cheaper to since you likely won't need a new MB. If you go for the 8 core series you are looking upwards of 400$ for most or Ivy E motherbaords which are 2011 socket. Your 3770k is going to overclock alot better then haswell aswell with lower temps

Thorgal

What Motherboard do you have, might be best to get rid of the 3770and get a 3770k. No matter what CPU you get you get screwed because Intel changes the socket type so often. Cheaper to since you likely won't need a new MB. If you go for the 8 core series you are looking upwards of 400$ for most or Ivy E motherbaords which are 2011 socket. Your 3770k is going to overclock alot better then haswell aswell with lower temps

Motherboard :ASUS P8Z77-V LX2.

Surely an 80+ plat 650w PSU would be enough to SLI two 780tis with an OC'd 4670k right? I don't even own two 780tis right now, but who wouldn't want the option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom