• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she doesn't game much all of those cards are extreme overkill. I think Kharma said the onboard Intel graphics would do her fine and I'm inclined to agree.

You'll get 1080p video playback out of one fine and Photoshop is more CPU/Memory intensive.

Maybe a 7770/90 or something if she wants to dabble in gaming. Not sure what the Nvidia equivalent is, a 650Ti Boost?

I really don't trust the onboard graphics to handle high resolution video smoothly, especially for a PC I mostly assembled in early 2010. There's no way I'm recommending she stick with on-board.

I should probably rephrase things, I think she likes the idea of having modern games and 3D applications available to her, so she wants something solid. She had to replace her monitor recently, and went with the model that can be upgraded to include G-SYNC, the ASUS VG248QE (although I recommended she not get that particular add-on yet, since the first generation removes a lot of monitor features and is expensive), so obviously I would recommend she get a video card that can at least handle that.

"Overkill" is not the issue here, we just can't go Titan range, looking for a solid $300-500 Nvidia card that's known to be G-SYNC compatible (which I think most 670s and up are).

I definitely wouldn't spend that much on a 2GB 770. And it's kind of debatable whether the 4GB model is worth it. 760 seems to be more recommended than the 770 since the performance difference isn't huge and the 760 is quite a bit cheaper.

If she doesn't game much I don't really see a point in buying a 780 either, seems like a waste of money unless she really cares about playing at high settings and resolutions when playing the occasional game.

I know she wants something powerful, so I'm not going to argue with that aspect, but thank you, I'll dig around some more on prices.

Those cards are far, far too overkill for what she needs.

For $120 you can get a 7850 that'd suit her down to the ground. I know you're looking at Nvidia rather than AMD but they've nothing that comes close in that price bracket.

Also it's not because it's an AMD card that it went wrong, that's down to the OEM which in this case is HIS. The fault lies with them, not AMD.

I'm sorry, but I did say:
(please don't get hung up on the fact we're avoiding ATI)

Our reasons for going with Nvidia are more than just the video card developing issues. I was a long-time ATI customer (I admit, before the AMD switchover), and after switching over to Nvidia, I've been happier with their driver support, and I like the new features they keep adding. And since she went with a G-SYNC-friendly monitor, I think she should have a G-SYNC-capable video card, if she does eventually decide to get a later upgrade kit.

Ok this is my revised build (since I'm from Canada and didn't realize there was a canadian setting for pc part picker :p)
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/2D1wk
Make sure to tell me if there's something wrong with the build, I wouldn't be surprised if there was since I cut costs wherever I could.
Also this could probably max everything at 1080p right? Would an i5 be worth an extra 70ish bucks?

bro1

Banned
can a bad nic card knock out my entire network? My network has been going in and out for the past few days. This is on an asus sabertooth 7zz plugged into an Apple router, plugged into TMC modem. The only new software I have installed is utorrent and iTunes.

Mozendo

Anyone here have experience with Micro Center & MSI rebates?
I bought a MSI 970A-G43 MoBo and I'm doing the MSI rebate and I just got to the part it's asking for my order/invoice number.

I'm assuming this is the reference number that's on the receipt, but I just wanted to be certain because I have to mail it pretty soon and I don't want to be rejected and send another copy for which will arrive too late.

Scum

Done a little swapping around. About to bite the bullet.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Other: Windows 8.1 Pro

It's game time!

You want a Mic/Headset splitter and plug the mic in the mic jack and headphone in the headphone jack on your pc (pink and green colored jacks, respectively)

I'm not sure what size the PS4 jack is but something like this is what you're looking for:

I actually tried plugging it into the mic jack and didn't seem to work

Pachimari

Have finally decided that this is the year I'm gonna build my very first Gaming PC. I can't ignore the gaming scene and the VR "revolution" happening.

I will put aside around $1.200 in about 3-4 months, so hopefully that can bring me some good juice. I already have a monitor, keyboard and mouse.

But I'm thinking, is it possible to have ones computer connected to both ones monitor AND HDTV with HDMI at the same time? So when I feel like gaming on the monitor I can do that or play something else with a Steam controller on the TV in the couch when I feel like doing that.

Redx508

So my LG 24" monitor died looking for help on picking a new one. Want a Asus 24" one for games and movies whats the best i can get for $180 or lower not sure if i should go with a IPS panel

mkenyon

Banned
But I'm thinking, is it possible to have ones computer connected to both ones monitor AND HDTV with HDMI at the same time? So when I feel like gaming on the monitor I can do that or play something else with a Steam controller on the TV in the couch when I feel like doing that.
Yup.

Irobot82

Internet >_<

Newegg reviews and Tomshardware threads. Probably just unique cases.

Yeah it's mostly fanboism and the like. AMD and nVidia drivers are solid. So it's really boils down to price/perf and PhysX/Mantle. Mantle hasn't been tested yet though.

Both can do downsampling, though AMD doesn't support it, it's simple enough to do.

LordAlu

Why did this homegoup desktop icon show up on 8.1 after I installed Geforce Experience 1.8.1?
It randomly happens with Windows 8 for some reason. You can fix it by right-clicking the desktop and clicking "Personalise". Choose "Change Desktop Icons" on the left, and in the pop-up tick the box next to "Network". Hit Apply and the icon will change from Homegroup to Network. Now just untick the box in the popup and hit Apply, and the icon will completely disappear.

Have finally decided that this is the year I'm gonna build my very first Gaming PC. I can't ignore the gaming scene and the VR "revolution" happening.
Great reason for doing it (it's something i am looking forward to too) but do you think it's worth waiting to see recommended specs and a price tag for oculus rift first? Am resisting for now and will buy in a few months i think...

I bought my first piece, and buying my second soon. The big bits (actual freaking processor, graphics card) will be next month.

I'm looking at the Haz builds in the OP to build. Mainly looking at the $840 column, but might look at a different motherboard as that one is hard to find at a decent price here for some reason.

What exactly are you frustrated about in regards to purchasing the parts for the PC? Are you wanting to build one slowly by buying each part individually when you can afford them?

Yup! But then you've got useless components in boxes lol.

YoungOne

Does anyone have any experiences with an AMD cpu? Building a pc and I see that the AMD cpu's are a little bit cheaper. Should I just stick with intel?

YoungOne

Pay a little more and stick with intel.

Btw this is coming from someone who is running a fx8350
That was the cpu I was looking at. Would it be wise for me to go for an i5 over an i7? I plan to mostly game on this one with a little autocad work here and there.

Damian.

Banned
I would only recommend i7 at this point. It has shown to pull decently ahead in any heavily multi-threaded application which will be the majority going forward.

Kysen

After spending the past week having BF4 freezing mid game and generally being annoyed with performance. I think its time to retire my i7 920 + 580GTX combo. Replacing CPU with a 4770k and GPU with 770GTX.

Of course. I've had a few "low" end Biostar boards. All have OC'd well. Especially my last to which took my CPU's to at least 4.5ghz stable.

Thanks. I'm probably not going to over clock, and I'm looking to save a few pennies here and there on some components. I know that can sometimes end up being a false economy, but I'm not looking to build a beast, just a decent starter rig. Not had a PC in years but I wanna actually be able to run my 200+ steam games (Macbook Air =/= gaming rig).

cyen

Just added a second 290x to my build.

IpJ0by9.jpg

Beware, they get extremely noisy, can´t wait to watercool this jet engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5bnidNPvk4

jonno394

Hey guys, i'm having some issues getting windows. Ive purchase a license key legitimately and I plan to install WIndows via a USB flash drive.

i've heard that if I want Windows 8 64 bit then I need to download it from the MS website on a 64bit system. Im currently on a lowly netbook running windows xp and I doubt my specs would pass the MS check for compatability. Now I dont want to resort to unscrupulous methods like torrents, so I was wndering whether there is any other way to obtain a legitimate windows 8 iso that I can then install with my license key?

Ta.

scogoth

The difference is much more than "none"!
Not only do games respond faster with a higher frame rate above 60 FPS (it is not just vsync that causes input lag), but not all games are going to perform as well as BF3!

Actually no not all games respond faster with higher frame rate. BF3/4 have a 10Hz tick rate so as long as you are over 10fps your going to be responding just as fast as everyone else. CS:GO yeah 150fps helps

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I'm planning to upgrade my graphics card during the Summer, from a AMD 6970 to either a AMD R 290X or a Nvidia 780ti, which card would you go for?

and if I go for the 780ti is it just simply take one card out and put the new on in? or will I have to delete all the AMD drivers/software before I put in the 780ti?

YoungOne

List Here

Cpu: intel i7-2600k 3.4 quad processor
cpu cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: A-Data XPG Gaming Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage : Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card
Case:Aerocool Xpredator X1 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

$894 dollars. What do you guys think? Any places where I can cut costs?

Edit: found a compatibility issue with strike x case switched it now the cost is $909

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Case: Aerocool Strike-X One ATX Mid Tower Case

Would be interested to know myself..

HoosTrax

Probably gonna to bite on this baby:

Gigabyte GTX780 Ghz Edition

I think it's supposed to be 11.4 inches long, and I think I've seen someone post pictures of a different Windforce 3X card in a Prodigy, so hopefully it should fit just fine, with maybe an inch to spare.

KAL2006

Banned
I have a issue with my PC. I have a AMD 7870, Intel 4670k and GigaByte Z87X 3DH Mobo. For some reason my PC is not detecting my GPU properly. Games on Steam use the integrated Intel Graphics instead of my AMD GPU. I have the latest Catalyst Control Centre, but don't have all the options like I had on my old build like AMD Overdrive.

EDIT: Nevermind, sorted it

Crub

One of my front panel audio sockets no longer detects when I insert a device to it, when in Windows. It shouldn't be hardware-related as it works in Linux. Any idea how I can troubleshoot this?

kharma45

I'm sorry, but I did say:

Our reasons for going with Nvidia are more than just the video card developing issues. I was a long-time ATI customer (I admit, before the AMD switchover), and after switching over to Nvidia, I've been happier with their driver support, and I like the new features they keep adding. And since she went with a G-SYNC-friendly monitor, I think she should have a G-SYNC-capable video card, if she does eventually decide to get a later upgrade kit.

I said it because you were blaming the reliability issues on AMD which isn't the case, it was because of HIS.

If you'd made the argument of wanting G Sync as the reasoning behind going Nvidia that would've been fine. For someone who you said 'doesn't game as much' going for a 780 is a total waste. Anything more than a 760 is.

kharma45

List Here

Case:Aerocool Xpredator X1 Black Edition ATX Mid Tower Case

Edit: found a compatibility issue with strike x case switched it now the cost is $909

2600K is from 2011. You want the 4770K if you're going Intel and a Z87 motherboard.

Look at the 4770K, UD3H and a different PSU, as well as a different case. Take a look at the OP for suggestions. Change to a WD Blue 1TB HDD.

Part list link doesn't work btw

mkenyon

Banned
A bad network interface card card?
Next time you want to be snarky and unhelpful, type it out but don't hit submit.
can a bad nic card knock out my entire network? My network has been going in and out for the past few days. This is on an asus sabertooth 7zz plugged into an Apple router, plugged into TMC modem. The only new software I have installed is utorrent and iTunes.
It's more likely the router, or possibly malware through torrents.
Just added a second 290x to my build.

IpJ0by9.jpg

Beware, they get extremely noisy, can´t wait to watercool this jet engine.
Yeah, those need some water. They over clock like crazy once you get the cooling sorted. Going to need a good number of rads to dissipate that 600W of GPU heat.
Probably gonna to bite on this baby:

Gigabyte GTX780 Ghz Edition

I think it's supposed to be 11.4 inches long, and I think I've seen someone post pictures of a different Windforce 3X card in a Prodigy, so hopefully it should fit just fine, with maybe an inch to spare.
It'll fit fine. 7990 even fits.
One of my front panel audio sockets no longer detects when I insert a device to it, when in Windows. It shouldn't be hardware-related as it works in Linux. Any idea how I can troubleshoot this?
My immediate suggestion is thrown off by the fact it works in Linux. Only thing I can think of is some random check box or setting in the Sound Devices section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom