• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

With a GTX 780? Hot damn. What model are you running? I dropped the voltages back down to default and Heaven 4.0 ran perfect at 200/200 in EVGA Precision X. I guess I had the voltages needlessly raised.

Any suggestions on what I might try to take it as far as you?

I run a reference design GTX 780 from Gigabyte, stock clock i believe are 901Mhz Core, 3000Mhz Memory.

What you will find though, is that as you crank up the voltage and clocks together you will start hitting the 115% power limit. So use an OSD like MSI Afterburner to monitor your clocks in Heaven benchmark. When you hit the power/temp limit you will see the clocks drop, thats why the last bit of performance can only be unlocked with the bios mod to remove (greatly increase) the power limit. Also while benching stick the fan to a locked percentage were it wont hit the temperature limit.
If you can run +200/200 like me, then just keep pushing the clocks up with voltage at maximum, keep an eye on the temps, try not to exceed 85c and check the clocks to see if they are downclocking as you hit the power limit. Im sure you can get a lot more out of your card than mine, as mine is pretty average.

I found memory can be pushed up to 3500Mhz (+500Mhz) without too much issue. At 1.21v on Valley bench i can run 1230/3520Mhz. Thats not stable at all in any games however.

As i said for games, i run 1100/3200, no issues. There's not much tweaking to do with overclocking GPUs to extract more, just keep experimenting with clocks. Youll find that the Unigene benches like Memory > Core clocks.

1231 isn't a possibility on a 780. Only goes by my increments of 13mhz. Alotta people don't get this and it saves alot of time. You are either at 1241 or 1228

Yeah i know, but i dont really bother with the rounding lol.

M3z_

So I bought a R9 290X Lightning and tested if it would fit in my 250D which it does, so now my question is do I want to ditch my 750D rig or my 250D rig cause I'm going to move down to one rig just not sure which. In any case there should be a ton of good components being thrown up for sale in the B/S/T thread.

LilJoka

Just a little update on my sound problem.

I tried changing some settings in Plex. from S-240 (Realtek) to TX-??? (Nvidia High Definition Audio) and that helped, so now there's sound again. :)

Now my only problem as for the TV is, that the 1080p resolution doesn't scale to fit the screen. What can I do about it? There's no sliders in Right Click > Screen Resolution.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.

Exactly what TV, and which GPU?

VoxPop

SUPER AWESOME NEWS THAT ITX PEOPLE SHOULD CARE ABOUT

NCASE M1 Pre-orders are up!

http://www.ncases.com/v2/m1.php

V4nW0.jpg

holy crap $259 to get it in 1-4 weeks at the earliest.

it's nice but i'll pass :p

mkenyon

Banned
So I bought a R9 290X Lightning and tested if it would fit in my 250D which it does, so now my question is do I want to ditch my 750D rig or my 250D rig cause I'm going to move down to one rig just not sure which. In any case there should be a ton of good components being thrown up for sale in the B/S/T thread.
PM me when this happens pls.

I say keep the 250D even though I want what you have in there more. :p

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If I was building today I probably would consider that case but it still seems pretty damn big compared to mine.

Chocobro

So I received all the parts for the second PC I'm building. All the parts are plugged in properly and I booted it up, the fans and all are running. Only problem is that when I connected it to my monitor to get into the BIOS, nothing is showing. The monitor is acting as if there's no output from the PC. Anyone able to help?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H.

NoRéN

So I received all the parts for the second PC I'm building. All the parts are plugged in properly and I booted it up, the fans and all are running. Only problem is that when I connected it to my monitor to get into the BIOS, nothing is showing. The monitor is acting as if there's no output from the PC. Anyone able to help?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H.

plugged into gpu or motherboard? if gpu, try reseatting it.

Chocobro

NoRéN;113965735 said:
yeah, if you have a gpu installed, your monitor must be plugged into it.
I'll definitely remember this time. I must have got mixed up with what I remembered when I built my first PC; at that time I fiddled with the BIOS and installed Windows when I didn't have my GPU yet.

VLEXP

So i just built this(well ordered) going to wait for the new cpu's but what i need meanwhile is a monitor that I can use with my PC and ps4.
any recommendations?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dLXrmG
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dLXrmG/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dLXrmG/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($148.99 @ Mac Mall)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tri-X Video Card ($545.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Grey ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $991.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-29 21:38 EDT-0400)

blinkz

Anyone have a recommendation on a quiet gfx card? I want to upgrade from my crappy 550ti but also don't want something as loud as this thing.

Ashhong

Hey guys, I have a Corsair RM650 and would like to mod the modular PCI-E cable that it came with. The problem is the cable it came with has 2 connectors on it and my GPU only needs 1. Not a big deal but it bothers me when I see it through my case window.

Is it fairly easy to remove the second connector? Can I buy a single 6 pin PCI-E connector somewhere?

Anyone have a recommendation on a quiet gfx card? I want to upgrade from my crappy 550ti but also don't want something as loud as this thing.

The MSI R9 270 I have is super quiet. Reviews I read beforehand had it as one of the quietest, especially at load.

Kalm

Does anyone have experience with high-end pc gaming and downsampling on an HDTV using HDMI?

I'm planning a 1440p/60+, Rift-ready build for living-room gaming on a plasma and I'm concerned about the limitations of HDMI 1.3. I haven't been able to find any concrete info on exactly how factors other than resolution affect bandwidth, if at all.

For example, does AA affect output bandwidth? Downsampling seems to as I can't get my plasma to accept anything above 1600p. Running at OGSSAAx2, am I going to hit a cap if I add a massive amount of MSAA as well?

I've tested as best I could with my current setup -- i7-920/GTX-580 -- but I can't push the settings necessary to answer all the questions I have. Any help would be much appreciated, GAF.

I really have my heart set on gaming from the couch but it has (ironically) put me outside my comfort zone. I'm seriously this close to saying "f*ck it" and waiting until I can afford a 120hz IPS panel and a decent desk chair. :/

Are the prices on Microcenter's site the same as in store, or do they have even cheaper prices in person? The closest one to me is like 40 minutes away so I'd like to know before going there if possible.

The Llama

Does anyone have experience with high-end pc gaming and downsampling on an HDTV using HDMI?

I'm planning a 1440p/60+, Rift-ready build for living-room gaming on a plasma and I'm concerned about the limitations of HDMI 1.3. I haven't been able to find any concrete info on exactly how factors other than resolution affect bandwidth, if at all.

For example, does AA affect output bandwidth? Downsampling seems to as I can't get my plasma to accept anything above 1600p. Running at OGSSAAx2, am I going to hit a cap if I add a massive amount of MSAA as well?

I've tested as best I could with my current setup -- i7-920/GTX-580 -- but I can't push the settings necessary to answer all the questions I have. Any help would be much appreciated, GAF.

I really have my heart set on gaming from the couch but it has (ironically) put me outside my comfort zone. I'm seriously this close to saying "f*ck it" and waiting until I can afford a 120hz IPS panel and a decent desk chair. :/

AA, etc. isn't going to affect HDMI bandwidth. Only things that affect it are resolution and framerate.

My TV can downsample all the way from 4K and it's 6 or 7 years old at this point. It was a pretty nice t.v. when we got it. Only limitation that I've run into is that any resolution past 3200xwhatever cuts out the sound from the t.v. speakers. Imagine there isn't enough power for both the video and sound. Easily fixed by using nice headphones like I do or having a halfway decent sound system.

Kalm

AA, etc. isn't going to affect HDMI bandwidth. Only things that affect it are resolution and framerate.

My TV can downsample all the way from 4K and it's 6 or 7 years old at this point. It was a pretty nice t.v. when we got it. Only limitation that I've run into is that any resolution past 3200xwhatever cuts out the sound from the t.v. speakers. Imagine there isn't enough power for both the video and sound. Easily fixed by using nice headphones like I do or having a halfway decent sound system.

Thanks, guys.

I feel much better about my build now.

Cheers.

I can achieve this stable at +13 mV.

Any higher and it crashes/artifacts regardless of temps/voltage. I could max out at +63mV in Precision X and I still get stuck at ~230GPU/375MEM

I don't actually see any improvement in performance by upping the mem clock. I could use a crash course on how all this stuff comes together.

So i just built this(well ordered) going to wait for the new cpu's but what i need meanwhile is a monitor that I can use with my PC and ps4.
any recommendations?

You should tell us what size you're looking for, if you want higher than 60 refresh rate, higher than 1080p, better than 5 ms response time.

Here's one I've had my eye on:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

24"
1080p
144 hz refresh
1 ms response time
$249

Great reviews to back it up plus free 2 day shipping from amazon. Also has built in speakers though you probably should use headphones.

Going to microcenter tomorrow. No idea why. Just love that store. Want to do some upgrading but don't think I can really. Wanna for Broadwell chips.

maneil99

I can achieve this stable at +13 mV.

Any higher and it crashes/artifacts regardless of temps/voltage. I could max out at +63mV in Precision X and I still get stuck at ~230GPU/375MEM

I don't actually see any improvement in performance by upping the mem clock. I could use a crash course on how all this stuff comes together.
WC? Never seen a 780 hit 1450mhz on air. Try firestrike extreme aswell, I find it better then UniEngine
What 780 do you have, for you to get 1400mhz @ +230 would mean you hit 1200 at stock which is insane

maneil99

Some gals have all the luck. :p
See what evga precison X says under performance log. I dont thing those numbers are right. I hqve a feeling its a wrong report. You need a boost of 430 to get that level, you would have one of the top 5 gpus out there and yet running on air/stock bios. Not to mention Uniengine score isnt that great for what it should be.

See what evga precison X says under performance log. I dont thing those numbers are right. I hqve a feeling its a wrong report. You need a boost of 430 to get that level, you would have one of the top 5 gpus out there and yet running on air/stock bios. Not to mention Uniengine score isnt that great for what it should be.

How would one go about checking this and posting here to verify?

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom