• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoxPop

Yup having OSX is a godsend since I do most my work on it. I didn't intend to build a hackintosh when I first made my PC (though this thread :p) but it ended up working out since they recommended all the same parts.

I didn't really have any issues with the kexts as everything was mostly supported through Multibeast. Only in the beginning when I really didn't know what I was doing, I went through some kernel panics but all is good now.

mkenyon

Banned
SUPER AWESOME NEWS THAT ITX PEOPLE SHOULD CARE ABOUT

NCASE M1 Pre-orders are up!

http://www.ncases.com/v2/m1.php

V4nW0.jpg

Stubo

Would using the H100i leave space for the Accelero's radiator in the rear? I thinks its 120mm too.
A quick Google makes it look like it would be very tight:
GoVfVMbl.jpg

If you're really set on using the Accelero hybrid then maybe it would be best to get a solid air cooler for your cpu. They can be very quiet with excellent cooling ability if you pick a good one!

Also, a case like the R4 should really help with the sound output from your whole build in general.

Edit: Or maybe use the Accelero hybrid as an intake on the upper front intake above the drive cages? This is probably more suited for an airflow oriented case than a silent one though.

Edit 2: Found this video!

Ya that's why I said I'll give it a pass since it's an extreme CPU. Also since the 3930K is a 6 core I should have realized that was a 6 core extreme part haha my bad. Regardless, doesn't make the game any less of a shoddy port.
Haha, well it's hard to disagree with that. It's nice to see a game really pushing the top graphics cards but it appears to be happening for the wrong reasons.

Stubo

Or sell the 7970 and buy a shiny new card with a nice quiet cooler? Watercooling for GPUs is still pretty expensive.

Thought I'd mention the NZXT G10 as an alternative to the Accelero Hybrid. Just to make your decision even more difficult because I'm nice like that :)

Also because I think it's a great idea!

NeOak

Why not just go full water at that point?

I'm thinking about it this point.

Or sell the 7970 and buy a shiny new card with a nice quiet cooler? Watercooling for GPUs is still pretty expensive.

Thought I'd mention the NZXT G10 as an alternative to the Accelero Hybrid. Just to make your decision even more difficult because I'm nice like that :)

Also because I think it's a great idea!

I got the 7970 GE for free. It was a gift from a fellow gaffer.

Edit: Does that work with the 7970? I'll go full water if that's the case then o.o

So my 560ti has seen better days. How do I future proof myself for the next few years video card wise?

I'd like to stick with nvidia, not looking to spend over 500

Stubo

The highest spec nvidia card under $500 is probably this one.

If you can wait a little it could be worth holding out for news of the 880, especially since you talk of the elusive 'future proofing'!

Edit: This and this are also good options!

mkenyon

Banned
So my 560ti has seen better days. How do I future proof myself for the next few years video card wise?

I'd like to stick with nvidia, not looking to spend over 500
780. Gigabyte GHz edition is a good one right around that price, and should remain relevant for a number of years. But, if there's one on sale for $400-450, buy that one instead.
Future proofing at ANY budget is not possible.
No such thing as future proofing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
3x Titan Z would probably do it.
So I'm interested in replacing my i5-2400 with an i7-2600K.

I got a MSI Z77-G41A so I think can get 4.5Ghz easily. However, since I'm buying the CPU used from the B/S/T, I need a good case and preferably a water cooling kit. The My 7970 GE is loud enough lol.

Recommendations for case and a good closed loop cooler?

Edit: Preferably a case where I can add that radiator for the CPU and a Accelero Hybrid for my 7970.
Air for CPU (212) and a G1 Kraken for 7970 B)
So the front page still says to wait to build because new boards are coming soon. I'm wanna put together a $1200 machine. Should I wait? How long would I be waiting for?
End of next week for Computex news to settle down.

What's the best EVGA 780 Ti model? Are the crazy fan ones worth the difference? Needs to be EVGA in case I want to upgrade to the 6GB model when it comes out. Would wait but I have the money now and it'll be spent elsewhere otherwise :p

Or would there be 800 news next week? If the cards are late 2014/early 2015 then I really don't want to wait. Would just rather upgrade now when my 670 is worth something, making it more like a 500 dollar card.

mkenyon

Banned
What's the best EVGA 780 Ti model? Are the crazy fan ones worth the difference? Needs to be EVGA in case I want to upgrade to the 6GB model when it comes out. Would wait but I have the money now and it'll be spent elsewhere otherwise :p

Or would there be 800 news next week? If the cards are late 2014/early 2015 then I really don't want to wait. Would just rather upgrade now when my 670 is worth something, making it more like a 500 dollar card.
Smokey says Jacob from EVGA said things changed and the 6GB 780 Ti isn't coming out. That being the case, the EVGA ACX, ASUS DCII, MSI, and Gigabyte are all good. I'd personally spring for the Gigabyte GHz Edition.

Smokey says Jacob from EVGA said things changed and the 6GB 780 Ti isn't coming out. That being the case, the EVGA ACX, ASUS DCII, MSI, and Gigabyte are all good. I'd personally spring for the Gigabyte GHz Edition.

Ah ok, that does change things. Have just always had EVGA cards as well. Is the Gigabyte version that much stronger?

There could be 800 series news next week. If there isn't or Nvidia says the cards won't be available until late Q3/Q4 2014, I'd just go with whatever 780 Ti recommendation you get.

kennah

Don't know what Mavericks changed, but I remember when I had a hackintosh the hardest part was the graphics drivers. Besides that, it wasn't too hard.

It's still pretty tricky, but as long as you have anything Nvidia or one of the AMD cards that are currently in a Mac it's pretty easy.

So many models! Don't need to stay with EVGA, just don't think I've built a computer that didn't have one of their cards in them.

Really hate how much of newegg makes you put stuff in a cart to see the price >_>

Is this one any good?

Just want to be sure before I blow 650-700 dollars :p At least newegg/ncixus don't charge tax yet! Is that gigabyte you linked the ghz version? Differences between GPU models of the same type aren't something I keep on top of, so I really appreciate it!

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher

I would stay with Evga they have the best customer service for video card, I would suggest you the 780 ti classified, I just got it it's a fantastic card.

http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=92850&vpn=03G-P4-2888-KR&manufacture=eVGA&promoid=1226 might be a little more than what you want to spend

I am guessing i can ask here..
My PC has BSOD twice in the past week error report states it's being caused by the AMD Gaming Evolved App is there anyway to not install this pile of shit app...

Edit Never mind got it stupid ass AMD causing me headache when i should be gaming..

Google

Guys, it's been over a year since my last major upgrade to my PC (which was to add some better cooling.

I'm running
8GB RAM

What can I do to this rig that will give me some decent gains without having me drop $800?

Technically not a "GE". It's one of the launch 7970s that ran at 1Ghz for core. XFX made that one, but I apparently got an unicorn version with the reference cooler.

Explains why you'd want to replace it. I saw a thread on Anandtech recently related to this:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2384941

This guy used a G10 bracket combined with the reference heatspreader for VRM cooling with good results: http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=36399255&postcount=7

If this applies to the 7970 reference heatsink (which I think is the same) all you have to do is cut a bit of plastic off the heatspreader near the power inputs, and you won't have to bother with aftermarket sinks for the VRM, or gluing sinks onto the vram.

mkenyon

Banned
Technically not a "GE". It's one of the launch 7970s that ran at 1Ghz for core. XFX made that one, but I apparently got an unicorn version with the reference cooler.
There's a ton of options for full block coolers for that one.

Something like either one of these:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ng_Kit_EK-KIT_L360.html?tl=g30c321s1367#blank

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ded_and_Free_Dead-Water_.html?tl=g30c321s1310

Then just add a full block of your choice for the 7970. Done deal :p

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'll let you know how my G10 works :p
Guys, it's been over a year since my last major upgrade to my PC (which was to add some better cooling.

I'm running
8GB RAM

What can I do to this rig that will give me some decent gains without having me drop $800?
Overclock CPU
Upgrade GPU

LilJoka

I got my Asus GTX 780 in the mail today. I've been playing with it a bit and I'm surprised so far.

I owned an EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC prior to this but returned it after deciding to buy something online to save a bit of money. This card was a $487 and the EVGA was like $560 after tax.

While I think the EVGA card looks nicer that's about the only thing I can count in its favor. Granted, it's clocked faster from the factory (hence: superclocked) but I was only able to get a stable GPU OC of around +40Mhz above stock. I'm sitting pretty at roughly +222Mhz on the Asus and I feel like it's much quieter.

This ok?

I also must say that the Asus packaging is FAR superior to EVGA's. Not that it matters really but I gotta give kudos. You wouldn't think you're buying a $500 item when you open the EVGA product. Asus also came with an SLI bridge which I thought was a nice touch, EVGA card did not.

Sorry but I want to get some input on this. :3

Google

I'll let you know how my G10 works :p
Overclock CPU
Upgrade GPU

I do overclock both my CPU and GPU.

What do I upgrade my GPU to because anything that will provide 15-20% upgrade (from shitty articles I've read) start at $500.

Or am I totally fucking wrong?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I do overclock both my CPU and GPU.

What do I upgrade my GPU to because anything that will provide 15-20% upgrade (from shitty articles I've read) start at $500.

Or am I totally fucking wrong?
You can get a 290 or 290X for cheap.
Other than that, yeah. You still have great hardware.

LilJoka

I got my Asus GTX 780 in the mail today. I've been playing with it a bit and I'm surprised so far.

I owned an EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC prior to this but returned it after deciding to buy something online to save a bit of money. This card was a $487 and the EVGA was like $560 after tax.

While I think the EVGA card looks nicer that's about the only thing I can count in its favor. Granted, it's clocked faster from the factory (hence: superclocked) but I was only able to get a stable GPU OC of around +40Mhz above stock. I'm sitting pretty at roughly +222Mhz on the Asus and I feel like it's much quieter.

This ok?

I also must say that the Asus packaging is FAR superior to EVGA's. Not that it matters really but I gotta give kudos. You wouldn't think you're buying a $500 item when you open the EVGA product. Asus also came with an SLI bridge which I thought was a nice touch, EVGA card did not.

Sorry but I want to get some input on this. :3

Not bad, i got 64.6fps score: 1628 @ 1231 core 3584 memory 1.21v. I run stock volts +200/+200 daily. Think thats 1100 core 3200 memory. Modded bios to, gets rid of the power cap.

Not bad, i got 64.6fps score: 1628 @ 1231 core 3584 memory 1.21v. I run stock volts +200/+200 daily. Think thats 1100 core 3200 memory. Modded bios to, gets rid of the power cap.

With a GTX 780? Hot damn. What model are you running? I dropped the voltages back down to default and Heaven 4.0 ran perfect at 200/200 in EVGA Precision X. I guess I had the voltages needlessly raised.

Any suggestions on what I might try to take it as far as you?

Pachimari

Just a little update on my sound problem.

I tried changing some settings in Plex. from S-240 (Realtek) to TX-??? (Nvidia High Definition Audio) and that helped, so now there's sound again. :)

Now my only problem as for the TV is, that the 1080p resolution doesn't scale to fit the screen. What can I do about it? There's no sliders in Right Click > Screen Resolution.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit.

dhlt25

any recommendation for a stopgap GPU? My 6950 2GB just crapped out on me and I don't want to buy a $400 GPU now. What is a current card with comparable power to a 6950?

maneil99

1231 isn't a possibility on a 780. Only goes by my increments of 13mhz. Alotta people don't get this and it saves alot of time. You are either at 1241 or 1228

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom