• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I have:
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX660
CPU: Intel Core 15-3450 (3.10GHz)
Motherboard: Intel H61 Express Chipset (Mini-ITX Motherboard)
RAM: 6GB DDR3
Hard Drive: 1TB

Sorry that I can't be too specific, it's an Alienware so they don't give too many details. Overall, I think I might need to change the motherboard from this build. It seems to be the only thing that won't fit well with a new computer.

The X51 can't fit a lot of larger GPUs, at least without modding, so you might want to considering just buying an ITX case that gives you more options and transferring over the usable parts of that build.

Stubo

You guys will want the 880 when it drops.

I know we don't know much about it but I think a good amount of vram and a bunch cheaper than titan black are 2 givens.

I'll give you a pass MKenyon because it's an extreme CPU buuut.

Also weird CPU choices.

CPU-FR.png

65.2 - 47.5 = 17.7/65.2 = 0.2714

Man this is another one of those ridiculous PC ports by Ubisoft

The X51 can't fit a lot of larger GPUs, at least without modding, so you might want to considering just buying an ITX case that gives you more options and transferring over the usable parts of that build.

That's what I was planning on doing. I like my x51, and only had a few problems with it. I just want to get a better case, power supply, etc so I can start upgrading it in the future. Instead of being held back by them. I just need to make sure the parts are reusable, and what I should upgrade/replace.

kennah

What I have:
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX660
CPU: Intel Core 15-3450 (3.10GHz)
Motherboard: Intel H61 Express Chipset (Mini-ITX Motherboard)
RAM: 6GB DDR3
Hard Drive: 1TB

Sorry that I can't be too specific, it's an Alienware so they don't give too many details. Overall, I think I might need to change the motherboard from this build. It seems to be the only thing that won't fit well with a new computer.

Yeah there's nothing stoping you from moving that motherboard over. Why not just keep the X51? You can pretty easily just upgrade the GPU.

That's what I was planning on doing. I like my x51, and only had a few problems with it. I just want to get a better case, power supply, etc so I can start upgrading it in the future. Instead of being held back by them. I just need to make sure the parts are reusable, and what I should upgrade/replace.

Just pick a bigger ITX case so you have enough room to work in while keeping the form factor small and you should be fine. You'll want to up the PSU if you do get a new GPU since I believe its like a 330W or something around there. In fact, you might want to just buy a new modular one so you have an easier time re-wiring your setup when you do upgrade.

kennah

Just pick a bigger ITX case so you have enough room to work in while keeping the form factor small and you should be fine. You'll want to up the PSU if you do get a new GPU since I believe its like a 330W or something around there. In fact, you might want to just buy a new modular one so you have an easier time re-wiring your setup when you do upgrade.

Careful - many ITX cases don't like a modular PSU because it will extend the depth of the PSU too far to effectively work in them. The Prodigy and the Node both have problems with Modular PSUs of 160mm.

Careful - many ITX cases don't like a modular PSU because it will extend the depth of the PSU too far to effectively work in them. The Prodigy and the Node both have problems with Modular PSUs of 160mm.

Sure, but I was implying that he use one that did :p

Worst case scenario you go for a Micro ATX case which would be even easier to work in and allow you to have more choices for mobos when you upgrade.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
After learning the news a few days ago I've been looking out for Titan Blacks.I was about to get them yesterday when the Egg had them in stock, however it wouldn't let you add 2 to the cart. Called them and yeah..it was limited to one per customer for 48 hrs.

I took it as a sign.
You can get 4x 290's for one Titan Black
BSOD after around one hour of Prime95. Trying with 1.29V now.
VDroop is common for load, it's a safety measure.
If it's that close just leave it at 1.3
I ran 1.32 forever and my chip was fine and plenty more run way higher.
cheers!

what would you suggest as an affordable replacement (<$100)? is there a 2014 equivalent of my last gpu, the 512 MB 8800 GT?
R7 260 if your PSU supports it.
Otherwise 750Ti 2GB

Yeah there's nothing stoping you from moving that motherboard over. Why not just keep the X51? You can pretty easily just upgrade the GPU.

I can only upgrade the GPU to I believe a GTX670? Because the power supply (330W) is too small for anything bigger. Also, my fans inside my Alienware are pretty bad at the moment. By the time I'm done with Dell support in getting them fixed/replaced. I'd end up spending $200 (there prices for support are insane). I'd rather just buy a case, and some new fans for the same price. While also making my computer more upgradable in the process.

kharma45

cheers!

what would you suggest as an affordable replacement (<$100)? is there a 2014 equivalent of my last gpu, the 512 MB 8800 GT?

Would you consider going used? What PSU do you have?

$115 gets you a 260X with two games http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

750 Ti is ~$130, probably too far over budget

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

used kind of worries me, since for all i know the card could have been used by a miner.

psu:
400W Wide Ranging, Active PFC, 90% Efficient

i'll check out your suggestions as well. i appreciate it.

kharma45

used kind of worries me, since for all i know the card could have been used by a miner.

psu:

i'll check out your suggestions as well. i appreciate it.

Going Nvidia would alleviate those fears as their cards were never used for coin mining.

750 Ti is what I'd look at on that PSU. You can get ones that run purely off the PCI bus for power as I don't know if you'd have any 6 pin connectors free on that PSU.

Guri

VDroop is common for load, it's a safety measure.
If it's that close just leave it at 1.3
I ran 1.32 forever and my chip was fine and plenty more run way higher.

Yeah, I ran Prime95 at 1.29V for 3 hours and it was fine. But with InterlBurnTest at maximum with 5 passes, there was another BSOD. Back to 1.3V then!

NeOak

So I'm interested in replacing my i5-2400 with an i7-2600K.

I got a MSI Z77-G41A so I think can get 4.5Ghz easily. However, since I'm buying the CPU used from the B/S/T, I need a good case and preferably a water cooling kit. The My 7970 GE is loud enough lol.

Recommendations for case and a good closed loop cooler?

Edit: Preferably a case where I can add that radiator for the CPU and a Accelero Hybrid for my 7970.

VoxPop

Okay so I'm in the process of moving all my parts into a smaller case (Fractal Design Node 304)

i5 2500K > no change

Asus P8Z68-V LX > Gigabyte GA-Z86B-Wifi

G.Skill x Ripjaws 1600MHz 8GB DDR3 RAM > no change

GTX 570 > R9 260X-280 (later on)

Intel DC SD3700 400GB SSD > no change

WD Green 1.5TB HDD > no change

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 Power Supply > no change

CM Hyper 212 > no change

Is there anything else I need to change to fit everything inside?

Also, I'm a bit worried because I dual boot my PC with OSX and I'm worried that the new mobo won't support it. If anyone could let me know if it works or not, that'd be great.

Stubo

I got a MSI Z77-G41A so I think can get 4.5Ghz easily. However, since I'm buying the CPU used from the B/S/T, I need a good case and preferably a water cooling kit. The My 7970 GE is loud enough lol.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $169.98

If you want quiet the Noctua is an amazing option if you don't mind the premium price. The R4 is my favourite quiet case, but there are a bunch of other recommendations in the OP. Cases are a real personal preference thing, have a look around!

kharma45

Okay so I'm in the process of moving all my parts into a smaller case (Fractal Design Node 304)

i5 2500K > no change

Asus P8Z68-V LX > Gigabyte GA-Z86B-Wifi

G.Skill x Ripjaws 1600MHz 8GB DDR3 RAM > no change

GTX 570 > R9 260X-280 (later on)

Intel DC SD3700 400GB SSD > no change

WD Green 1.5TB HDD > no change

Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 Power Supply > no change

CM Hyper 212 > no change

Is there anything else I need to change to fit everything inside?

Also, I'm a bit worried because I dual boot my PC with OSX and I'm worried that the new mobo won't support it. If anyone could let me know if it works or not, that'd be great.

What motherboard are you going for? You've made a mistake there and wanted to check what you're getting.

What's your budget?

Serandur

So, two months ago I got a GTX 780 GHz Edition and I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me a reasonable estimate as to what I might expect to be able to get for it if I decide to sell it and upgrade after the GTX 880/R9 390 or even the GTX 980/R9 490 come out? Just going off of historical trends and estimates (I know it can't be perfectly accurate, any guesses would be appreciated)? Thanks.

VoxPop

What motherboard are you going for? You've made a mistake there and wanted to check what you're getting.

What's your budget?

Nothing specific. I chose that mobo off the small form factor build thing on the front page because they had it as a part under the case I'm getting.

I currently dual boot OSX and W8.1 on my current build with the ASUS P8Z68-V LX but im guessing this mobo wont fit in the smaller case.

NeOak

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $169.98

If you want quiet the Noctua is an amazing option if you don't mind the premium price. The R4 is my favourite quiet case, but there are a bunch of other recommendations in the OP. Cases are a real personal preference thing, have a look around!

Water is a requirement, so the Noctua is out. I'll check the case though!

I'll probably pick it up at my local Microcenter

NoRéN

if anyone is looking to buy a solid state drive, I have a couple for sale.

1 Samsung evo 250GB SSD - $120
1 Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB SSD - $100

All new and sealed. PM if interested.

kharma45

Nothing specific. I chose that mobo off the small form factor build thing on the front page because they had it as a part under the case I'm getting

Sorry, I think you've got mixed up there. I was asking what model of motherboard you were looking at, as the Gigabyte GA-Z86B-Wifi doesn't exist.

Is it a Z87 board? As if it is that won't work with your CPU.

Windowed one is $10 less. Take a look at the H60.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $151.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-29 15:44 EDT-0400)

Stubo

Fair enough! The H80i and H100i are easy recommendations for aio solutions.

The main difference being the H100i would be mounted in the top of the case or the H80i likely on the rear. This would impact how many of the silencing pads you'd have in place if you used the R4.

Vespene

So the front page still says to wait to build because new boards are coming soon. I'm wanna put together a $1200 machine. Should I wait? How long would I be waiting for?

Vercimber

Ok, gaf, I need some help. I have an i7-4770k, a 780, a Corsair 600M power supply, and a 787-A Asus MB. Everything has been working very nicely for about a year. Last night I began Watch_Dogs and thought nothing when the fans amplified, given the game's relative complexity, but then the computer shut itself down. I then ran OCCT and am getting some pretty crazy temperatures (96 C in one case). Also, testing the GPU in DX11 and DX9 modes tax the CPU.

So I removed the CPU fan (stock), cleaned the CPU meticulously with isopropyl alcohol, then re-applied Arctic 5 thermal paste using the "pea" method. I reassembled, ran OCCT, same results, so I did another reapply: same results. I've also cleaned the computer well with an industrial blower on the appropriate settings.

The computer is well ventilated and the nearest object is about a foot away.

This is my first computer build, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

So the front page still says to wait to build because new boards are coming soon. I'm wanna put together a $1200 machine. Should I wait? How long would I be waiting for?

You don't really have to, it's just the possibility of Devil's Canyon being out in the next month or two would make most people want to wait and see. That said, the 4770K is still a really good processor so unless you want the fastest 1150 chip (and even then we don't know how much faster it will overclock) I would just buy now and not worry about it, personally.

kennah

Nothing specific. I chose that mobo off the small form factor build thing on the front page because they had it as a part under the case I'm getting.

I currently dual boot OSX and W8.1 on my current build with the ASUS P8Z68-V LX but im guessing this mobo wont fit in the smaller case.
To continue using your existing cpu and have an easy time hackintosh ing you need a GA-Z77N-wifi.

Good luck finding one.

Why is water a requirement?

VoxPop

Sorry, I think you've got mixed up there. I was asking what model of motherboard you were looking at, as the Gigabyte GA-Z86B-Wifi doesn't exist.

Is it a Z87 board? As if it is that won't work with your CPU.

Woops my bad, it was the GIGABYTE Z87N-Wifi.

Damn that sucks. What's the next best CPU I can get thats 2500K level without having to splurge?

kennah

Woops my bad, it was the GIGABYTE Z87N-Wifi.

Damn that sucks. What's the next best CPU I can get thats 2500K level without having to splurge?
That's the problem. 2500k is still quite good. You'd either have a side grade to the 4670k or upgrade to the 4770k. But neither would be cheap. Look around for the motherboard. Might find one.

NeOak

Fair enough! The H80i and H100i are easy recommendations for aio solutions.

The main difference being the H100i would be mounted in the top of the case or the H80i likely on the rear. This would impact how many of the silencing pads you'd have in place if you used the R4.

Would using the H100i leave space for the Accelero's radiator in the rear? I thinks its 120mm too.

Yeah I'd really hope you'd see some reasonable difference!!
Ya that's why I said I'll give it a pass since it's an extreme CPU. Also since the 3930K is a 6 core I should have realized that was a 6 core extreme part haha my bad. Regardless, doesn't make the game any less of a shoddy port.

kennah

Ah damn.. I guess I can scour the web for that mobo, thanks for all the useful info! :)
No worries.

I fucking love the Node.

If you do decide to upgrade. The new Gigabyte Z97 boards are awesome and you should still be able to get 120-140 for your 2500K

Vespene

You don't really have to, it's just the possibility of Devil's Canyon being out in the next month or two would make most people want to wait and see. That said, the 4770K is still a really good processor so unless you want the fastest 1150 chip (and even then we don't know how much faster it will overclock) I would just buy now and not worry about it, personally.

Sounds good. I would also like to OS-X it, maybe VoxPop has can give me some pointers from his experience.

Sounds good. I would also like to OS-X it, maybe VoxPop has can give me some pointers from his experience.

Well, then I would hit up OSX86 or some other forum and see what mobos/parts you'll want. I personally don't have a hackintosh but I know kexts are a pain in the ass so you'll probably want to copy someone's build on one of those sites.

kennah

Tonymacx86.com

Great builds. Awesome install tools. Good forum. Best resource for hackintosh stuff around.

I'm also always availbe for advice. Have done a few hackintosh builds. My workstation at work is the envy of all. Faster than our (old) Mac Pro and half the size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom