• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my config:

Core I7 3770 3.4 GHz 8 MB Cache (LGA 1155)

2 x (CrossFireX) AMD Radeon HD7870 2GB 256 bits GDDR5

MSI B75MA-E33 USB 3.0 SATA 6Gb/s DDR3 1600MHz (LGA 1155)

Kingston HyperX KIT 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz

As of now, is it worthy to make an upgrade or should I just stick with it?

That's a good setup you've got. The only feasible change I'd make (if games weren't running well anymore) would be to go single GPU, maybe a GTX770 or 780 or a 280x, 290 or 290x.

Again, that's assuming that you're seeing any performance problems on your crossfire setup. If not, push it for as long as possible!

mkenyon

Banned
hey guys, need a bit of help. Want to RAID 0 some drives, but when i tried changing AHCI to RAID, i got a BSOD. did a bit of research, and it seems you cant normally change after installing Windows(in this case, 8.1). Is there any way to change it without having to install windows again?
If you want to RAID the drive that you have Windows installed on, TMK, no. Maybe if you had a second computer, you could pull it out, put it in that one as a secondary drive along with a third one that you want to mirror it with, and then use some software to create a RAID array? Seems like a long shot.
This is my config:

Core I7 3770 3.4 GHz 8 MB Cache (LGA 1155)

2 x (CrossFireX) AMD Radeon HD7870 2GB 256 bits GDDR5

MSI B75MA-E33 USB 3.0 SATA 6Gb/s DDR3 1600MHz (LGA 1155)

Kingston HyperX KIT 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz

As of now, is it worthy to make an upgrade or should I just stick with it?
Generally not a big fan of mid-level SLI/Crossfire setups, but if it's working okay for you, then not much to do at this point.

So I'm following the guide in the OP pretty closely with that $825 one but with a couple of the suggested upgrades. Here is what I'm planning on so far:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670

Motherboard - BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87W

RAM - Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3

Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX760

SSD - Crucial M500 240GB

Power Supply - EVGA 500B 500W

My question is about picking out a case. I really would prefer to get a more "home entertainment" type box that sits horizontally below my TV. My concern is making sure there is enough airflow, ofcourse.

The closest thing I can find that I'm looking for is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Mini-ITX-Computer-FD-CA-NODE-304-BL/dp/B009LHF4FO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390515716&sr=1-1&keywords=node+304

Is there a cheaper option? As in, is it possible to create similar airflow with a cheaper vertical stand that just sits on its side or is that not safe?

mug

Is there a cheaper option? As in, is it possible to create similar airflow with a cheaper vertical stand that just sits on its side or is that not safe?
You could look into going ITX if you're wanting something to be more HTPC. It'll probably be easier to find a mATX case in your price range if you're avoiding ITX.

mkenyon

Banned
So I'm following the guide in the OP pretty closely with that $825 one but with a couple of the suggested upgrades. Here is what I'm planning on so far:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4670

Motherboard - BIOSTAR Hi-Fi Z87W

RAM - Crucial 8GB Kit (4GBx2) DDR3

Graphics - EVGA GeForce GTX760

SSD - Crucial M500 240GB

Power Supply - EVGA 500B 500W

My question is about picking out a case. I really would prefer to get a more "home entertainment" type box that sits horizontally below my TV. My concern is making sure there is enough airflow, ofcourse.

The closest thing I can find that I'm looking for is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-Mini-ITX-Computer-FD-CA-NODE-304-BL/dp/B009LHF4FO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390515716&sr=1-1&keywords=node+304

Get a 'K' processor, first things first.

As for HTPC cases (Home Theater PC), they're all a bit more expensive than budget options just because they're unique and low-selling. Just go to Newegg->Cases->HTPC and browse the selection there.

If you want to RAID the drive that you have Windows installed on, TMK, no. Maybe if you had a second computer, you could pull it out, put it in that one as a secondary drive along with a third one that you want to mirror it with, and then use some software to create a RAID array? Seems like a long shot.
Actually , i wanted to RAID other drivers, not the one with the OS. Still difficult?

Caderfix

Ok then. I'll keep my PC as it is and push it until things get rough, perhaps a mid gen update or something.

Thanks for the help :)

mkenyon

Banned
Actually , i wanted to RAID other drivers, not the one with the OS. Still difficult?
We can do this. First a few questions.

1) What exact motherboard do you have?

2) What is your current drive setup? (type, #)

3) What is your planned drive setup including RAID type?

We can do this. First a few questions.

1) What exact motherboard do you have?

2) What is your current drive setup? (type, #)

3) What is your planned drive setup including RAID type?

1)P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

2)One M225 120gb ssd with the OS, two 1tb drives, and two 320gb. Not exactly sure what you mean about type. their speeds; if they're logical, etc?

3)Leave everything else like it is, but RAID 0 the 320 drives.

mkenyon

Banned
Okay, you technically have 3 different SATA controllers.

ag3Tyjp.png

LmVh4b2.png

Listed as #9-11, you have a Marvell 6.0 GB, Intell 6.0 GB, and Intel 3.0 GB.

Each one of those can be set to either RAID or AHCI. What you want to do is make sure that your two new RAID drives are on a separate controller from the other two, and setup a RAID array following your motherboard manual's instructions for that specific SATA controller.

Otherwise, you can actually just do a software RAID in Windows disk management. Select both drives, and then click "Create a striped partition".

Okay, you technically have 3 different SATA controllers.

http://i.imgur.com/ag3Tyjp.png

http://i.imgur.com/LmVh4b2.png

Listed as #9-11, you have a Marvell 6.0 GB, Intell 6.0 GB, and Intel 3.0 GB.

Each one of those can be set to either RAID or AHCI. What you want to do is make sure that your two new RAID drives are on a separate controller from the other two, and setup a RAID array following your motherboard manual's instructions for that specific SATA controller.

Otherwise, you can actually just do a software RAID in Windows disk management. Select both drives, and then click "Create a striped partition".
Just did it with the windows disk management. didn't thought it would be this simple. Thanks for the help :D

EDIT: is there any disadvantage by doing it on windows, instead of doing it on the BIOS or a specific place? i remember some years ago, when my father gave me his pc, there was a screen to edit, delete or create new RAID partitions, after the motherboard logo appeared.

I'm scouting parts for a future upgrade and I need some help. My upgrade will mainly be centered around the Maxwell gpus that are hitting this year but I want to find a motherboard that isn't too expensive that can properly run 3 gpus in sli. I've noticed motherboards with 4 pci-e slots usually can run 4 cards at 8x8x8x8. I'd like to get a motherboard, 1150 socket more than likely, that simply has 3 pci-e for triple-sli, nothing more. Are there any motherboards out there with 3 usable pci-e slots and I'm not talking 8x8x4, that's useless.

mkenyon

Banned
EDIT: is there any disadvantage by doing it on windows, instead of doing it on the BIOS or a specific place? i remember some years ago, when my father gave me his pc, there was a screen to edit, delete or create new RAID partitions, after the motherboard logo appeared.
It's ever so slightly slower. What you remember your father doing is a Hardware RAID, which was the other option you had.

I actually find Windows software RAIDs really handy as a non-primary drive. You can put them in literally any computer and Windows will automatically recognize it.
I'm scouting parts for a future upgrade and I need some help. My upgrade will mainly be centered around the Maxwell gpus that are hitting this year but I want to find a motherboard that isn't too expensive that can properly run 3 gpus in sli. I've noticed motherboards with 4 pci-e slots usually can run 4 cards at 8x8x8x8. I'd like to get a motherboard, 1150 socket more than likely, that simply has 3 pci-e for triple-sli, nothing more. Are there any motherboards out there with 3 usable pci-e slots and I'm not talking 8x8x4, that's useless.
If you're waiting for Maxwell GPUs, you should also wait for Haswell-E. They'll both hit around Q3-Q4.

Socket 2011 = 40 PCI-E lanes native. So, any motherboard will be able to run at x16/x16/x8.

To get something like that with socket 1150 (only has 16 native PCI-E lanes), you need to get an expensive motherboard that has a PLX chip. Maximus VI Extreme, G1 Sniper 5, MSI XPower, Z87X OC Force, basically all of the $360-400 motherboards.

It's ever so slightly slower. What you remember your father doing is a Hardware RAID, which was the other option you had.

I actually find Windows software RAIDs really handy as a non-primary drive. You can put them in literally any computer and Windows will automatically recognize it.

yeah, just did a bit of research. Well, don't think I'll really notice the difference, really, and seeing that doing it on windows is really easy. Thanks for the response!

rCIZZLE

Well, got windows and everything installed, played some Witcher and CS:GO (ya I know not really testing my machine lol), and so far I love it. After needing laptops for 5 years it's great to be back to PCs.

One last question for you guys though. In Device Manager I'm seeing a USB controller that I just can't find the drivers for. Tried everything on the biostar support site for my board and nothing seems to work for it. "Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x" is what I have.

mkenyon

Banned
So the Corsair Liquid CPU cooler (http://www.corsair.com/us/hydro-series-h60-cpu-cooler.html) is supposed to be connected to the CPU fan port of the mobo? Is the fan behind the cooler connected to the CPU fan port on the mobo as well? Or I can just hook it up to the system fan port of the mobo?
I'd suggest plugging the pump into a Molex connector (the big fat 4 pins), it should have come with an adapter. The fan itself you will want to plug into CPU_Fan header so you can control the speed of that in BIOS. It's pretty loud at full blast.
Well, got windows and everything installed, played some Witcher and CS:GO (ya I know not really testing my machine lol), and so far I love it. After needing laptops for 5 years it's great to be back to PCs.

One last question for you guys though. In Device Manager I'm seeing a USB controller that I just can't find the drivers for. Tried everything on the biostar support site for my board and nothing seems to work for it. "Hi-Fi B85S3+ Ver. 6.x" is what I have.
I'd put money on the USB 3.0 controller. Try that one. If not, run Windows update to see if it catches it.

So the Corsair Liquid CPU cooler (http://www.corsair.com/us/hydro-series-h60-cpu-cooler.html) is supposed to be connected to the CPU fan port of the mobo? Is the fan behind the cooler connected to the CPU fan port on the mobo as well? Or I can just hook it up to the system fan port of the mobo?

Either way, for both pump and fan.

If you need more info (corsair could make an effort with the building guide of these things)
http://www.corsair.com/blog/mounting-the-hydro-series-h60-cpu-cooler-to-your-intel-motherboard

Edit: too slow...
The fan itself you will want to plug into CPU_Fan header so you can control the speed of that in BIOS. It's pretty loud at full blast.

Just realised that the H60 doesn't have built in link...so definitely what mkenyon advises. After you hear them, you won't want these fans to run too high rpms when you don't need it!

rCIZZLE

I'd put money on the USB 3.0 controller. Try that one. If not, run Windows update to see if it catches it.

Ya I tried basically everything on the biostar site for my board and ran windows update. Not that it's important for me at this time but it just grabbed my attention since I wanted my first build to be flawless. :p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How can you tell if the Corsair Liquid CPU cooler is working?

You have the H60 right? Temps first. Don't even go into Windows setup if putting together a new rig. Go into UEFI and just look at temps and if they're in the 30-50 range then you know it's working. If temps climb and climb then you know you either seated the cooler wrong or it just doesn't work.

I have an H100i so I'm on the same cooling boat as yourself.

kennah

You have the H60 right? Temps first. Don't even go into Windows setup if putting together a new rig. Go into UEFI and just look at temps and if they're in the 30-50 range then you know it's working. If temps climb and climb then you know you either seated the cooler right or it just doesn't work.

I have an H60 sitting next to my case while I listen to the whirrrr of the stock cooler.

Xamdou

You have the H60 right? Temps first. Don't even go into Windows setup if putting together a new rig. Go into UEFI and just look at temps and if they're in the 30-50 range then you know it's working. If temps climb and climb then you know you either seated the cooler wrong or it just doesn't work.

UEFI? I have cpu-z but it don't show temps.

Your Current Specs: None yet, only own this RAM, bought this graphics card, and a hybrid drive to use as my main drive.

Budget: 4-500 dollars? USA
Gaming - 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 5
Video Editing - 2
Streaming games in HD 2
3D/Model work - 2
General Usage - 5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Just want to run as many games as possible at 120 FPS. Possibly 144 because my monitor supports it.

Looking to reuse any parts? - None, just a fan I salvaged from my old PC. Possibly a dvd drive but it's hooked up via IDE cable, not sure if I'll need to buy a new one.

When will you build? Deadline? - Nope, just buying parts as I can afford them.
Will you be overclocking? - Yes but only slightly.

Need suggestions for a decent CPU that won't bottleneck plus a cooler, a decent motherboard that'll work with the parts I already bought, a tower with ventilation, power supply, and fans. I think that's all I need to build it.

mkenyon

Banned
Quick pic showing the connector reversal job I pulled earlier today.

But then the PSU started clicking :( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n1Us2mrJ8c
Not normal IMO, talking with Amazon now to get it replaced.
That is really weird sounding. Seems like it's the fan, but it's hard to get an idea of that from a video.
Anyone good any recommendations for a wireless USB adapter?
How about some of these?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704164
UEFI? I have cpu-z but it don't show temps.
UEFI is the new name for BIOS.

If you're in windows, use HWMonitor.

Chris R

That is really weird sounding. Seems like it's the fan, but it's hard to get an idea of that from a video.

It is the fan no doubt, got worse when the PSU kicked into high gear. I'll just use the old PSU for the next few weeks until the replacement shows up then do my cable management.

Can somebody help me?

Should I just get everything in the "Excellent build" from the OP?

Given your username and avatar, you can just buy it using a loan that you, completely legitimately, will never actually have to pay back. So yes, 3 Titans, watercooling, 4k projector, all the trimmings.

Sarcasm

What software can I use that after I reformat than can make a bootable ISO (or w/e) that can be ran from USB to easily perform re formats on a PC? Especially with no access to a CD drive.

maneil99

Okay, so when BF4 came out I had an issue with a red checkerboard artifact crash that would hardock my system. I lowered my Vram OC by 40mhz ( 40mhz x 2 = 80hz ) aswell as updated the driver and BF4 had an update. The issue went away for months. I stopped playing for 3 weeks and just came back. While I was gone I did a driver update and BF4 had an update. Now I got it again. Any idea? GPU is a 780 GTX SC, my GPU shouldn't be degrading like this should it? Most likely a driver issue no?

bump

maneil99

What software can I use that after I reformat than can make a bootable ISO (or w/e) that can be ran from USB to easily perform re formats on a PC? Especially with no access to a CD drive.

MS has a tool that makes USBs bootable, not sure if thats what your asking

kiyomi

Installing Windows is easy, there's a guide for that in the OP. The link for cheap keys is www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap.

Dumb questions, but

1.) Do these keys work in any region? For instance, could I use one in the UK?

2.) Is there a simple guide as to how to install Windows from such a key? Edit : Looks like the guide in the OP is the one I want.

3.) How do I know they're legit?

Thanks. :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what should be a good idle RPM for a H60 radiator fan? Mine seems to be running at about 1100rpm even at idle and I'd like to slow it down a bit if possible to lower the noise.

I have a gigabyte GA-Z77N wifi motherboard (mini ITX)

Easytune doesn't seem to work on Windows 8.1 so I can't set fan speeds there
in the BIOS, if I set it to manual and the lowest slope it allows (0.75/c) it doesn't drop below 1100rpm even with my core temps around 25c.

any other options? Is the fan even specced to go lower than that (I googled my fingers off and couldn't find anything)

edit: tried speedfan, and figured out the correct one to change (pwm3). But it still won't go below 1050rpm - anything below 35% pwm and it doesn't make any difference..

Water

Also, new Fortress FT05, a real successor to the FT02:
LL
My dream case. FT02 is cool, but the FT05 looks a lot better still and is more compact. Now if only Nvidia would manage to launch the 870 / 880 Maxwell cards in the same Q2 timeframe as the FT05 is supposed to become available...

kharma45

Your Current Specs: None yet, only own this RAM, bought this graphics card, and a hybrid drive to use as my main drive.

Budget: 4-500 dollars? USA
Gaming - 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 5
Video Editing - 2
Streaming games in HD 2
3D/Model work - 2
General Usage - 5
Monitor Resolution: 1080p

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Just want to run as many games as possible at 120 FPS. Possibly 144 because my monitor supports it.

Looking to reuse any parts? - None, just a fan I salvaged from my old PC. Possibly a dvd drive but it's hooked up via IDE cable, not sure if I'll need to buy a new one.

When will you build? Deadline? - Nope, just buying parts as I can afford them.
Will you be overclocking? - Yes but only slightly.

Need suggestions for a decent CPU that won't bottleneck plus a cooler, a decent motherboard that'll work with the parts I already bought, a tower with ventilation, power supply, and fans. I think that's all I need to build it.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.97 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $433.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-24 06:14 EST-0500)

Money to spare at the upper end of your budget if you wanted a modular PSU for a tidier and easier build, a better motherboard like the UD3H, different cooler like the H60 which is easier to install, a better case or even a proper SSD.

onken

Can anyone recommend a regular size mobo with wifi? I just can't run a cable to where my PC will be right now. I'll probably be putting in a 4770k, a single 780Ti, 16GB memory and 2 hard-disks so no other fluff required. Thanks!

Also any recommendations for the brand on the 780 Ti? I can easily get Gainward, Gigabyte or MSI.

bro1

Banned
I want to reformat with a fresh install and update. Than I want to make an iso that I can put on a USB and use that next time to reformat. Saves some time.

You can make a bootable USB key from MS for W7 or W8. I reformat all the time and do this. The only thing that sucks is that the ISO from MS for W8 does not include 8.1, so you have to download a ton of updates and then update to 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom