• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

bro1

Banned
When installing my new GTX 770 Card for SLi setup into a system that already has a GTX 770, should I unistal the drivers, shut down, insert the card, and install new drivers?

Pachimari

Is this what I should go for, if I want to use it with 3 monitors; play games in 1080p/60fps on a HDTV, record television, watch HD movies in Plex; programming websites and using Adobe CS6?

CPU
i7 4770K 4C/8T

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H

RAM
2x8 (16GB)

Graphics
GTX 770 4GB

SSD
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Storage
2TB HDD

Power Supply
CoolerMaster V700

Case
Silverstone PS07 (mATX)

Optical Drive
SATA DVD Burner

Heatsink
Corsair H60

Sound Card
Xonar DGX

That'll be $1500. What about a module, so I can control Plex with a remote? And a Blu-ray burner? Also, will it be silent?

pigeon

Banned
Hey, sorry to repost, I'm just still wondering. If I get an OEM copy of Windows 7 and install it, will the copy stop working if I upgrade my computer significantly, or can I carry it over or reactivate it in some way?

kharma45

Hey, sorry to repost, I'm just still wondering. If I get an OEM copy of Windows 7 and install it, will the copy stop working if I upgrade my computer significantly, or can I carry it over or reactivate it in some way?

In the terms of the license no, but sometimes they will let you.

Gaf, I need your help, im having a serious issue right now. I just bought an Asus laptop n56J, Long story short, whenever I play any game, it uses the integrated graphics as apposed to the dedicated one. I search all over the internet and it seems to be a common problem. I tried switching the prioritized graphics card in the NVidia control panel and nothing. I tried right clicking and running it with the high performance card and still nothing. Whats the deal?

What CPU would you guys recommend to go along with a R9 290?

Not looking for something that will require insane cooling/messing around. I normally just go with the stock cooler and that's it.

kharma45

What CPU would you guys recommend to go along with a R9 290?

Not looking for something that will require insane cooling/messing around. I normally just go with the stock cooler and that's it.

If you're just gaming the 4670K.

Stock cooler is shit btw, better to get a Hyper 212 for £/$25 and whilst it'll also make it quieter and run cooler you can also overclock.

If you're just gaming the 4670K.

Stock cooler is shit btw, better to get a Hyper 212 for £/$25 and whilst it'll also make it quieter and run cooler you can also overclock.
I just wanna play BF4 at stable 60fps really.

Would a i5-3470 be too much of a step down? Cause I can get a sweet deal on one.

kharma45

I just wanna play BF4 at stable 60fps really.

Would a i5-3470 be too much of a step down? Cause I can get a sweet deal on one.

BF4 likes a strong CPU (as do most multiplayer games) so I'd stick with the 4670K (or the 3570K if you can find a good deal on one) and overclocking it.

I can get a 3570K for pretty much the same price as a 4670K (171€/176€) so can go with either, I'm guessing the 4670k is the best choice for only 5€ more. Won't the 6MB cache be a problem? Even mine has 8MB.

Also found a decent deal for a Hyper 212, so I guess that's going in too.

kennah

Is this what I should go for, if I want to use it with 3 monitors; play games in 1080p/60fps on a HDTV, record television, watch HD movies in Plex; programming websites and using Adobe CS6?

CPU
i7 4770K 4C/8T

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H

RAM
2x8 (16GB)

Graphics
GTX 770 4GB

SSD
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Storage
2TB HDD

Power Supply
CoolerMaster V700

Case
Silverstone PS07 (mATX)

Optical Drive
SATA DVD Burner

Heatsink
Corsair H60

Sound Card
Xonar DGX

That'll be $1500. What about a module, so I can control Plex with a remote? And a Blu-ray burner? Also, will it be silent?

That motherboard won't fit in that case. It's too big. You would need a Z87M or a larger case.

Just find any cheap IR module and get a Logitech Harmony to control Plex. BluRay burner only if you're going to be burning lots of blur ays. Otherwise it's a waste of money. Silence depends on airflow plus the fans you use. Would need more info on which particular GTX 770 you are getting. If it is one with multiple fans it will be quiet, if it has a single fan it'll be noisy.

I can get a 3570K for pretty much the same price as a 4670K (171€/176€) so can go with either, I'm guessing the 4670k is the best choice for only 5€ more. Won't the 6MB cache be a problem? Even mine has 8MB.

2megs difference in cache won't matter at all. The 4670K is much more efficient and clock for clock is 10-15% faster than the 3570K and much much faster for emulation and such. Make sure to get a Z87 chipset board so you can over clock. (Z77 for the 3570K)

kharma45

For the sake of €5 I'd get the 4670K and then it's just a matter of choosing the mobo. No the cache won't be an issue.

Well that settled then. And just like that I spent more then the cost of a PS4 in just a few weeks -.-

470€ and that's not counting the MB that I'm still gonna have to look up. Better not let me down Gabe.

2megs difference in cache won't matter at all. The 4670K is much more efficient and clock for clock is 10-15% faster than the 3570K and much much faster for emulation and such. Make sure to get a Z87 chipset board so you can over clock. (Z77 for the 3570K)

I don't think my PSU is going to be able to handle overclocking after the new CPU.

kennah

Sorry :( If you buy cheap, you're just going to buy again sooner. That extra bit on the K and Z87 will extend the life of your CPU by two years easily.

Nope.

This is only $130 right now.

*EDIT*

You should also be able to sell your parts. Maybe not a ton of money, but should recoup some of that. The Lynnfield i7s are still great processors, especially for those looking to do a budget build.
Why is that? My lousy cheap p7p55d lets me overclock and it worked quit well using default bios profiles.

Also mines an i5 and $130 is more then i can spend right now after what I already spent argh. Next month maybe.

kennah

Why is that? My lousy cheap p7p55d lets me overclock and it worked quit well using default bios profiles.

Also mines an i5 and $130 is more then i can spend right now after what I already spent argh. Next month maybe.

Because the CPUs are designed for over clocking now (and Intel is preventing over clocking in the bios of the cheaper boards, sadly). You can still do it the 'old fashioned way' with Bus Speeds and such, but for the multiplier unlocks (which are safer and better) you need the higher end chipsets.

Then you're better off waiting... It's that big of an increase.

mkenyon

Banned

Optimistic Reason

The Z68/77/87 chipset and standard features guarantees safe overclocking by providing a powerful BIOS with solid power delivery. By separating these boards out from the less expensive H and B series motherboards, this allows budget buyers not looking to overclock an easy choice.

Pessimistic Reason

So they can sell more of their more expensive Z series chipsets to AIBs like ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte.

CO_Andy

How loud is the i5-4670k (or any k model Intel cards compared to the standard)? I may just pick up a regular 4670 or an S model if it's bad.

Because the CPUs are designed for over clocking now (and Intel is preventing over clocking in the bios of the cheaper boards, sadly). You can still do it the 'old fashioned way' with Bus Speeds and such, but for the multiplier unlocks (which are safer and better) you need the higher end chipsets.

Then you're better off waiting... It's that big of an increase.
Optimistic Reason

The Z68/77/87 chipset and standard features guarantees safe overclocking by providing a powerful BIOS with solid power delivery. By separating these boards out from the less expensive H and B series motherboards, this allows budget buyers not looking to overclock an easy choice.

Pessimistic Reason

So they can sell more of their more expensive Z series chipsets to AIBs like ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte.

I see... :/

We'll, I'll have to sleep on it then, but I might just get a B series and forget about overclocking for now and later on upgrade.

- J - D -

Greatness awaits !

Nice! I just bought one of these too! I need to buy a new PSU, though. I think my Antec TPC-850 is on its way out. The coil whine coming from it is pretty intense. Plus, I think one of its rails might be overloaded, so SLI on this thing won't be possible. It's a shame, because I've had it for almost 6 years now.

Unrelated question: If I wanted to pick up another card for SLI sometime down the line, would it be better not to have two cards in configuration that are the ACX/Windforce/Twin Frozr types? I feel that that would inhibit cooling. I was thinking one custom card and one reference card would be better.

DTKT

Why are motherboard user reviews so low? I've been looking at the Z87 line and there is almost nothing over 3 stars. Should I just disregard them?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Why are motherboard user reviews so low? I've been looking at the Z87 line and there is almost nothing over 3 stars. Should I just disregard them?

People are more likely to review something if they have a problem with it.

And some people screw up something (probably minor) while building, PC doesn't boot, instantly blame a component. Like the guy who recently posted about his GPU fans not spinning, a lot of people would have just RMA'd and possibly left a bad review when the only problem was that the GPU fans weren't plugged in.

Hard drives also tend to have bad reviews, likely in part to people not realizing they need to format it before it appears in Windows (and others due to Newegg's bad HDD packaging, but fortunately I never had a problem with that).

Nick

Do you guys think it is wise to wait for the ASUS VG248QE with G-Sync to come out? I really need a monitor and that looks like the one to get, but there is no REAL release date.

Sami+

Hey guys, checking in for advice again if that's alright. Decided to write down all the changes I wanted to make (not all the stuff below is changed, but just stuff I think is important to note). How does this look?

CPU
i3 3240

Motherboard
ASROCK N68-VS3 FX

RAM
2x4 (8 GB)

Graphics
GTX 660 2GB

Power Supply
APEVIA ATX-AS520W-BK 520W

Everything else is listed right here, kept as default -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227392

Am I forgetting anything really important? If not, how good of performance should I expect? How would something like Tomb Raider run, for instance? Max res w/ 60 FPS and other effects on high, etc. I'll just wait a while longer to upgrade if I'll have to pay a lot more to get a consistent 60 FPS with high settings at 1080p.

As always, I really appreciate all of your help.

bro1

Banned
Do you guys think it is wise to wait for the ASUS VG248QE with G-Sync to come out? I really need a monitor and that looks like the one to get, but there is no REAL release date.

I would wait. I too want one of these monitors but I really want to see it in action. I have a 27" 144hz monitor right now and want to see the difference, especially since I'm going SLi tomorrow.

bro1

Banned
Hey guys, checking in for advice again if that's alright. Decided to write down all the changes I wanted to make (not all the stuff below is changed, but just stuff I think is important to note). How does this look?

CPU
i3 3240

Motherboard
ASROCK N68-VS3 FX

RAM
2x4 (8 GB)

Graphics
GTX 660 2GB

Power Supply
APEVIA ATX-AS520W-BK 520W

Everything else is listed right here, kept as default -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227392

Am I forgetting anything really important? If not, how good of performance should I expect? How would something like Tomb Raider run, for instance? Max res w/ 60 FPS and other effects on high, etc. I'll just wait a while longer to upgrade if I'll have to pay a lot more to get a consistent 60 FPS with high settings at 1080p.

As always, I really appreciate all of your help.

That's a good budget build, but maybe a bit too budget. can you do an i5K chip and maybe 270x for the GPU?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

CPU
i7 4770K 4C/8T

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H

RAM
2x8 (16GB)

Graphics
GTX 770 4GB

SSD
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Storage
2TB HDD

Power Supply
CoolerMaster V700

Case
Silverstone PS07 (mATX)

Optical Drive
SATA DVD Burner

Heatsink
Corsair H60

Sound Card
Xonar DGX

Probably won't be silent immediately,nbut you can replace the fans with quiet ones and run them at low ROMs if that is important

For control of plex, you could use an IR receiver and a harmony, or a phase-8 HDMi-CEC to USB adapter,which would let you use your normal TVs remote to control plex

Giggzy

For those who have a Microcenter nearby and know how they work I have a few questions.

For the CPU/Motherboard discount does it work with any two combinations? I'm wanting to buy a 4670k and ITX z87 Mobo.

Also, how accurate is their online stock display? The 4670k shows out of stock at my local store but it's shown out of stock every time I've checked it over the past few weeks/months.

Thanks!

Tymerend

I built my current PC about three years ago, and most of it is still peachy keen. i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5, 8 GB of decent ram, good power supply etc etc. The graphics card, however, is sitting at a 1BG GTX460, fine for the time, and still fine in a lot of ways considering I'm still just gaming at 1080P.

However, with the government soon giving me a lot of my money back, I was thinking I may want to upgrade the GPU.

My question is this. 4GB 760s are around 300, with the 770's coming in at around a hundredish dollars more.

If I don't plan to upgrade my display, will I by and large be fine with the 760 for this generation, or is it worth it to wait and gather the extra money for the 770?

kennah

I built my current PC about three years ago, and most of it is still peachy keen. i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5, 8 GB of decent ram, good power supply etc etc. The graphics card, however, is sitting at a 1BG GTX460, fine for the time, and still fine in a lot of ways considering I'm still just gaming at 1080P.

However, with the government soon giving me a lot of my money back, I was thinking I may want to upgrade the GPU.

My question is this. 4GB 760s are around 300, with the 770's coming in at around a hundredish dollars more.

If I don't plan to upgrade my display, will I by and large be fine with the 760 for this generation, or is it worth it to wait and gather the extra money for the 770?

770 is only 15-20% faster than a 760. You'll be fine with a 760 at 1080p for a while I'd wager.

Which I have - banking on my 670 to last another 3 years

SleazyC

For those who have a Microcenter nearby and know how they work I have a few questions.

For the CPU/Motherboard discount does it work with any two combinations? I'm wanting to buy a 4670k and ITX z87 Mobo.

Also, how accurate is their online stock display? The 4670k shows out of stock at my local store but it's shown out of stock every time I've checked it over the past few weeks/months.

Thanks!
Should work with any motherboard combination but it certainly doesn't hurt to call and ask beforehand if you're making a long drive. I just grabbed the CPU and told them which motherboard I wanted and was given the discount at checkout.

kharma45

770 is only 15-20% faster than a 760. You'll be fine with a 760 at 1080p for a while I'd wager.

Which I have - banking on my 670 to last another 3 years

And for 1080p I can't see the need for 4GB yet either.

bro1

Banned

You can get a 770 for $329. Also 20% faster than a 760 is a lot.

kennah

How can you tell if your motherboard's battery is going dead?
How long do they normally last?
Unplug your power supply. Try to power on the computer. Wait one minute. Plug power supply in and turn on the computer.

If it remembered the bios settings it is fine. If it didn't it isn't. They last years and years and years (the motherboard constantly trickle charges it. )
You can get a 770 for $329. Also 20% faster than a 760 is a lot.
He wants 4gb. And I don't think 20% is worth $100. Save that money to upgrade sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom