• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
DIY spirit with success. You will go far!

As long as temps are fine, you're good to go. I might change load line calibration to a "performance" or "extreme" setting, and try dropping the volts a bit in BIOS.

Depends on what you had your 7970 clocked at. 1000MHz+ and it generally beats out the 770. If your 7970 was lower than that, you'll see an improvement.

But, for triple monitor gaming, the 780 will definitely have improved performance compared to the 770.

This review has 5760x1080 data.. The 770 is basically the same thing as the 680.

thanks for response. Temps are pretty much ideal I think, for my setup. Kind of at 35 idle 65 load tops or might hit 70 on prime 95...I think thats fine right?

riflen

Can anyone recommend a regular size mobo with wifi? I just can't run a cable to where my PC will be right now. I'll probably be putting in a 4770k, a single 780Ti, 16GB memory and 2 hard-disks so no other fluff required. Thanks!

Also any recommendations for the brand on the 780 Ti? I can easily get Gainward, Gigabyte or MSI.

Have you not considered a powerline adapter? It was the perfect solution for me as I cannot run cables in my home and wireless networking is garbage if you want to keep latency and packet-loss down.

Gigabyte are trustworthy. Personally I would go for them over Gainward or MSI, does anyone have that table of GPU vendors and their warranties handy?

Hi

First post in the new thread, posted a little in the 2013 one, still haven't bit the bullet on building yet, so I may pop in from time to time.

For now, I'm looking to get rid of the LCD monitor I'm using for PS4 gaming and replacing it with something better that I'll eventually use with a PC too.

At the moment my budget is about £200, though I'll tip that a little if I think it's worth it.

So far I've been eyeing this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BPL0558/

Thoughts?

kennah

I don't understand, i said it has a GTX 760.
These are the full specs http://www.euronics.it/acquistaonli...Beezup&pid=eProd132009578&utm_source=kelkooit
Sorry. Pre coffee post :). You can build better for cheaper and there is no such thing as a 3gb 760 so I'm not sure what they're talking about there.
I saw in a few reviews that some PSUs will stick out of the case if they're too large.
The Bp is tiny. You can always check the specs on manufacturer websites.

Sarcasm

You can make a bootable USB key from MS for W7 or W8. I reformat all the time and do this. The only thing that sucks is that the ISO from MS for W8 does not include 8.1, so you have to download a ton of updates and then update to 8.1

So I am able to make an image from my formatted partition and make it bootable? What is the program?

kharma45

Anyone?

I already placed the order before posting and need to know just in case.

It's listed here so it'll fit

One of the main factors that one faces when dealing with SFF builds is ensuring that heatsinks and parts fit in the tiny spaces provided. The parts in these build sheets are far less loose in terms of picking out something slightly different. I can only ensure proper clearances on the items that are in the build sheet.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95808604&postcount=4

NmbUYyL.png

riflen

So I am able to make an image from my formatted partition and make it bootable? What is the program?

No, you misunderstand him. He is saying you can make a bootable memory stick from the Windows ISO. This can be used to install Windows.
Why are you trying to take an image of your hard disk? It's not clear what you're trying to achieve.

EDIT: I see you are simply trying to save time whenever you reinstall by imaging your hard disk and restoring that image. Well, forget ISOs, you can't make an ISO of your hard disk partition scheme.

There are so many ways to approach what you're trying to do. One method is to use Windows System Image feature.

With system restore it should be possible to install Windows, patch it to your desired level, then take a System Image.
At a later date when you want a fresh install, you can perform a standard install, then use the system restore feature in Windows to restore your image.
The image can be held wherever you want; removable media, NAS, optical disc. Your choice,

Win 7/8: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/what-is-a-system-image
Win 8.1: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/what-happened-to-backup-restore

jonno394

@Kharma you're based in the UK and usually quite helpful so i thouight i'd ask you. Could you recommend £100 monitor? Preferably 21.5" or 22"?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.97 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $433.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-24 06:14 EST-0500)

Money to spare at the upper end of your budget if you wanted a modular PSU for a tidier and easier build, a better motherboard like the UD3H, different cooler like the H60 which is easier to install, a better case or even a proper SSD.
Oh man thanks a bunch! This helps a lot. I'm surprised though, all this will run well on 500w supply? I'm gonna keep this list. I appreciate it.

kharma45

@Kharma you're based in the UK and usually quite helpful so i thouight i'd ask you. Could you recommend £100 monitor? Preferably 21.5" or 22"?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BWOJ35G/

eKey
That's not what i was asking though :c

I know, but that's because there are things I want to change in it.

Oh man thanks a bunch! This helps a lot. I'm surprised though, all this will run well on 500w supply? I'm gonna keep this list. I appreciate it.

It will yes.

daninthemix

Can anyone recommend me a good new monitor? Or should I wait for the G-Sync models to appear?

I have an old Benq FP241W - very highly reviewed back in the day, but I want something a little bigger. 27" perhaps, and with at least as good brightness as the Benq. I don't necessarily want higher res - 1080p is fine.

riflen

Trying again
e8dl.png

You shouldn't keep bumping. Most of the people who help in this thread are still asleep or just getting up.

Mostly looks fine to me, but that PSU is probably overkill for a 770. You can save some money if you go for an EVGA 500B or XFX Core 550.

Alexalder

Banned
You shouldn't keep bumping. Most of the people who help in this thread are still asleep or just getting up.

Mostly looks fine to me, but that PSU is probably overkill for a 770. You can save some money if you go for an EVGA 500B or XFX Core 550.
What? I haven't done a single bump, the "trying again" was from a preassembled ASUS that i posted before

SleazyC

Can anyone recommend me a good new monitor? Or should I wait for the G-Sync models to appear?

I have an old Benq FP241W - very highly reviewed back in the day, but I want something a little bigger. 27" perhaps, and with at least as good brightness as the Benq. I don't necessarily want higher res - 1080p is fine.
I'm holding out for GSync but the premium on those monitors when they come out should be pretty stupidly large.

27" 1080p monitors have been on sale relatively cheap here and there, where are you based out of? If in the US this isn't a bad monitor for the price (but it was $199 at one point a couple weeks back):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...a&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

Interfectum

Been testing my new 770 GTX 4GB... good lord this card is awesome. The Witcher 2 might as well be next gen on Ultra settings. I fear what Witcher 3 is going to do to my PC.

Just want to thank the OP and others for this thread. I was thinking of building a new PC back in October but the high res PC screen shot thread sealed the deal. I decided I wanted a quiet PC but powerful while also being pretty sexy.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2
Motherboard: Z77 Extreme 3
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Intel 335 series ssd (1x240gb, 1x180gb)
Storage: Seagate 3TB
Video Card: Zotac GTX 770 4gb
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z
Case: Corsair Air 540
Power Supply: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850 WAT Platinum
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1

So this was my first build and it went off without a hitch which really surprised me considering I kept imagining disaster. I'm not sure about Zotac as a graphics card maker but with rebate the price for the card came to $319 and I couldn't say no. My 770 came with 5 games so I'm getting into those and I plan on getting another 770 later this year. I switched out the three fans that came with the AIr 540 and added 2 others for a total of 5 Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 fans. Also I added a bluray drive and NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller.

It's been an amazing experience so far. No regrets. Greatly looking forward to The Witcher 3 and making that sucker bow to my new rig, though I'm guessing I'll need the other 770 to do that..

Zotac stuff is pretty solid, I'd have no issues with their stuff.

Make sure to overclock that 3570K!

That was next on the list, though I don't know if it's necessary. My computers overall performance seems to be pretty good and I remember reading somewhere about how overclocking shortens the life of a CPU. I might wait until OCing becomes a necessity. Not sure.

kharma45

That was next on the list, though I don't know if it's necessary. My computers overall performance seems to be pretty good and I remember reading somewhere about how overclocking shortens the life of a CPU. I might wait until OCing becomes a necessity. Not sure.

It'll improve performance now in CPU bound games of which there are many.

You'll have no life span issues with overclocking either. Keep voltage and temperatures sensible and you'll be talking over a decade of life in it.

What if i don't even know how to overclock? Should i get a 4670K anyway? Thanks for your help anyway, much appreciated ;D

Overclocking is easy. Tons of guides out there and probably one in the OP. It's unlocking free performance from your CPU, 25% or so.

kiyomi

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
CPU Cooler: Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 2
Motherboard: Z77 Extreme 3
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Intel 335 series ssd (1x240gb, 1x180gb)
Storage: Seagate 3TB
Video Card: Zotac GTX 770 4gb
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Z
Case: Corsair Air 540
Power Supply: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850 WAT Platinum
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1

So this was my first build and it went off without a hitch which really surprised me considering I kept imagining disaster. I'm not sure about Zotac as a graphics card maker but with rebate the price for the card came to $319 and I couldn't say no. My 770 came with 5 games so I'm getting into those and I plan on getting another 770 later this year. I switched out the three fans that came with the AIr 540 and added 2 others for a total of 5 Be Quiet Silent Wings 2 fans. Also I added a bluray drive and NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller.

It's been an amazing experience so far. No regrets. Greatly looking forward to The Witcher 3 and making that sucker bow to my new rig, though I'm guessing I'll need the other 770 to do that..

Congrats. I'm in the midst of researching my first PC build too.

That 770 price makes me insanely jealous though. In the UK, a Zotac GTX 770 2GB will set me back £260, aka $430, and only comes with AC4.

Enjoy your rig. :)

It'll improve performance now in CPU bound games of which there are many.

You'll have no life span issues with overclocking either. Keep voltage and temperatures sensible and you'll be talking over a decade of life in it.

Overclocking is easy. Tons of guides out there and probably one in the OP. It's unlocking free performance from your CPU, 25% or so.

Welp, that seals that deal. I'll give it a go and see how it all pans out. Thx.

DedValve

Banned
So question, although its still in prototype has there been any word that if a game runs at, lets say medium graphics, 60 fps at 1080p would it still run as smoothly on the oculus rift or would you need more power to achieve the same goal?

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, I'm just curious to how the rift might work.

Congrats. I'm in the midst of researching my first PC build too.

That 770 price makes me insanely jealous though. In the UK, a Zotac GTX 770 2GB will set me back £260, aka $430, and only comes with AC4.

Enjoy your rig. :)

Thanks!

The price on that Zotac was luck mixed with tenacity. I missed out on getting an EVGA 780 for $430 on Black Friday because I saw the price on NCIX and waited too long to purchase. NCIX can offer amazing prices but at what seems to be very limited quantities. So on Boxing Day, every 30 min or so, I refreshed the front page of the NCIX website until that deal came up, no hesitation on purchasing this time.

Best of luck on putting your rig together.

Gaf, I need your help, im having a serious issue right now. I just bought an Asus laptop n56J, Long story short, whenever I play any game, it uses the integrated graphics as apposed to the dedicated one. I search all over the internet and it seems to be a common problem. I tried switching the prioritized graphics card in the NVidia control panel and nothing. I tried right clicking and running it with the high performance card and still nothing. Whats the deal?

kennah

So question, although its still in prototype has there been any word that if a game runs at, lets say medium graphics, 60 fps at 1080p would it still run as smoothly on the oculus rift or would you need more power to achieve the same goal?

Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, I'm just curious to how the rift might work.
We won't know for sure until it is released. There is no point in buying gear on speculation. Buy a good CPU every 3-5 years and a $250 GPU every year or two for a balanced setup that doesn't break the bank while staying current. You'll know more about the OR when it is released.
I have a 3570K @ 4.2ghz and a MSI GTX 770. Talk me out of going SLI. I game on a 1080P 144hz monitor.

Sorry bro, that's one of the few instances where SLI is helpful :(

bro1

Banned

How did you get your original copy of your OS? If it was from a prebuilt computer you will be able to make bootable USB via your OS.

riflen

The power needed will be comparable. You may need slightly more.
If we assume the resolution of the consumer Oculus Rift will be 1920x1080, your PC will need to render the game twice at 960x1080 from two slightly different angles simultaneously (one angle per eye).

More frames are better. I think 60fps is a reasonable lower threshold.

bro1

Banned
We won't know for sure until it is released. There is no point in buying gear on speculation. Buy a good CPU every 3-5 years and a $250 GPU every year or two for a balanced setup that doesn't break the bank while staying current. You'll know more about the OR when it is released.

Sorry bro, that's one of the few instances where SLI is helpful :(

Can I use any SLI bridge or do I need a ceartain one? I have an Asus bridge for my sabertooth mobo but will have 2 MSI cards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom