• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend upgraded his GPU and is going to upgrade his power supply (he is rocking a shitty Dynex brand best buy piece of shit at the moment). I don't remember what card he is getting exactly, but I was gonig to reccomend THIS psu since its only $65. Any other PSU I should recommend him or is that a good choice? He isn't doing SLI or crossfire ect, so I assume that will be powerful enough for one card.

Scum

Oh fuck! I took a look at temps in the BIOS and noticed 0RPM for CPU Fan and CPU temp at 70°C! Looks like I didn't connect something up properly. D:
Done it now with CPU hovering around 30°C and fan @ around 1300RPM. I suppose I've done something right?

...right?

Giggzy

Should work with any motherboard combination but it certainly doesn't hurt to call and ask beforehand if you're making a long drive. I just grabbed the CPU and told them which motherboard I wanted and was given the discount at checkout.

Thanks. My local Microcenter doesn't answer their phones unfortunately so I couldn't call. I did however stop by after work and you're right, they did give me the discount with any cpu and Mobo combo

Rufus

Oh fuck! I took a look at temps in the BIOS and noticed 0RPM for CPU Fan and CPU temp at 70°C! Looks like I didn't connect something up properly. D:
Done it now with CPU hovering around 30°C and fan @ around 1300RPM. I suppose I've done something right?

...right?
Looks like. Surprised it started without a CPU fan plugged in though. I thought mobos detected this. Any warnings?

mkenyon

Banned
A month ago everyone here said it was 10%. which is it?
15-20%, depending on the exact model.

...right?
You're golden.

Scum

Corsair Air 540 plus Corsair H60. Good God, that combo. It's all so eerily quiet. :O
I keep thinking the fans are not running. lol

Looks like. Surprised it started without a CPU fan plugged in though. I thought mobos detected this. Any warnings?
Warnings were disabled by default. D:

15-20%, depending on the exact model.

You're golden.

Niice!

Giggzy

Is putting an itx build together the same as an ATX sized computer? As far as the order of doing things and plugging cables in. I know it'll obviously be less room for maneuver :p

bro1

Banned
Unplug your power supply. Try to power on the computer. Wait one minute. Plug power supply in and turn on the computer.

If it remembered the bios settings it is fine. If it didn't it isn't. They last years and years and years (the motherboard constantly trickle charges it. )

He wants 4gb. And I don't think 20% is worth $100. Save that money to upgrade sooner.
4gb has almost no value unless you are playing at 1440p or using tons of AA. I also think the resale of the mid level cards are higher too.

mkenyon

Banned
I think 20% more performance is pretty significant. Also, do you really see the value of a 4gig 760? You're not going to game at 1440p with that card.
Depends on how long someone is planning on keeping the card, really.

Plus I really like mods. Those will be sure to push cards over the 2GB limit in the future. Already do with Skyrim.

I think the 770 occupies this weird space. The 760 is the card to get if you're looking for $:performance. The 770 is on the same chipset and doesn't give me a good feel on future performance. The 780 is the real enthusiast card that is just right.

The 7970/280x is really the go-to pick in this situation if prices weren't fucked.

Sofa King

So, I am just starting my research on what to build, but I have an side question. Looking at the nvidia promo, I noticed it is currently Assassins Creed thru the end of February. Do they usually start another promo when one comes to an end? Any chance something like Titanfall gets picked up at launch?

elfinke

So I'm gonna ask one of those questions. My current, couple year old rig (2500k, 8gb RAM, 6950, SSD boot disc - which, by the way, was the single greatest PC upgrade since the Riva TNT I ever made) is still going great guns, though the 6950 is beginning to show its age in this system. So I started looking around at what a reasonable upgrade to it would be, while also looking at if selling the card was a worthwhile endeavour (I've never actually sold my PC gear before, always donated or recycled them).

Which led me to watching a few 6950's on eBay, which in turn showed me that there seems to be considerable demand for them:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171225524488

$210, with three days to go. It was $50 just a day or two ago. I damn near fell out of my chair when I saw this.

So emboldened by this knowledge, if these 6950's continue to sell for a premium like that one, I'm selling mine ASAP. Which leads to my question: where is the equivalent bang-for-buck card now? Is it the 770? The 280X? To be honest, both of those cards are $100 more than I would like to spend on a card, but from looking at Anand and Tom's various bench and comparison charts, it would seem a 760 or 270X aren't a sizeable enough of an upgrade to be worth it.

Thoughts? I mean, I happily played through TR2013 and BI at a downsampled resolution (to 1680x1050), with most settings turned to their max (all types of AA slow me down, obviously, so I don't go much above 2x or 4x, and there are a few other settings I tinker with before I'm happy - 60FPS and V-sync are vital if I'm gonna get my PC on!), so it's not like I'm dying for this upgrade, but am interested to hear thoughts from other people who have made a similar jump recently.

Is nVidia's adaptive v-sync as great as it sounds? Or is it a soon-to-be-forgotten bit of trickery, given nVidia's recent G-sync announcements? I can't think of any other reason to swap back to the green camp.

Thanks.

AJLma

I'm about to pull the trigger on an i7-3770 non k for $240. Seems like a good deal and I don't plan on doing any overclocking.

I know I've posted about this before but I'm paranoid since this will probably be a long-term CPU upgrade and calls for me to reinstall Windows, etc.

I'm upgrading from an ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 Motherboard and an FX-6350. to an Intel i7-3770 with the Biostar TZ77A. GPU is a Vapor-X 7970. Is there any reason that I shouldn't go through with this? Motherboard specs that I've overlooked maybe? This is still my first build so I'm trying to be extra careful here with upgrading...

xBladeM6x

I'm about to pull the trigger on an i7-3770 non k for $240. Seems like a good deal and I don't plan on doing any overclocking.

I know I've posted about this before but I'm paranoid since this will probably be a long-term CPU upgrade and calls for me to reinstall Windows, etc.

I'm upgrading from an ASRock 990FX Extreme 3 Motherboard and an FX-6350. to an Intel i7-3770 with the Biostar TZ77A. GPU is a Vapor-X 7970. Is there any reason that I shouldn't go through with this? Motherboard specs that I've overlooked maybe? This is still my first build so I'm trying to be extra careful here with upgrading...
Unless you do video editing, you might as well go even cheaper and get an i5-3570k. It crushes all games that you will attempt to run on it, and it's $40 cheaper.

Copons

So... I finished building my first PC after like 4 hours of tinkering! Yay for me and thank you all!

Everything seems to work fine, except for the fact that... I can't install Windows.

Basically when I have to pick which drive to install, it doesn't matter what I choose, it always answers with a "setup was unable to create a new system partition".
This error already occurred to me once when I replaced the HDD on my MacBook, but I totally forgot what I did.

Anyway, searching around I tried several workarounds.
- clean/format/active via diskpart
- unplugging the HDD, leaving the SSD as the only drive connected
- removing the USB Windows stick and putting it back (weird but seems to work for someone)

Nothing works.

As it's 5 AM here, I'm kinda out of ideas so I'm sorry to come back to you as my last hope... :D

What the heck am I missing here??

(AsRock Z87 Pro3, SanDisk 128GB, Win7 Ultimate)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
UEFI? I have cpu-z but it don't show temps.

It does in the right side tabs but as mkenyon there are apps on PC to monitor temps. I use CoreTemp and have it in my startup group. Monitor the highest temp and CPU usage. You can customize it to show all the cores but there would be 13 little numbers on my taskbar if I did that.

Copons

try the ssd in a different sata port?

Tried in port 0 and 1 (there are 4 other ports, but I guess I'm gonna try them tomorrow)

BTW the disk works fine.
UEFI recognizes it (EDIT: and Win install too, for that matter) and I tried to mount it in an external case and pluggin it on my laptop: instantly readable and writable.

Apparently it could be SATA drivers missing, but I don't have a working optical drive to run the drivers cd and on the mobo page on AsRock site there isn't a SATA driver to download.

Mozendo

Asking on behalf of a friend and it may be inappropriate here, but any suggested websites for pre-built PCs in the U.S.?
iBuyPower
OriginPC

Building a PC for a friend, and his budget is $1,000. This is what I came up with for him. Thoughts? (He prefers Intel / Nvidia combo)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/xBladeM6x/saved/3hcW
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2H7hr
I just changed the PSU since imo it cost too much and 600w+ isn't really needed in single GPU setups and added a 212 evo.

If he's not going to overclock there's no need for a K model CPU or Z77 board (and a non-stock CPU cooler)
Also the MSI 760s run quieter and cooler or so I've been told.

xBladeM6x

iBuyPower
OriginPC

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2H7hr
I just changed the PSU since imo it cost too much and 600w+ isn't really needed in single GPU setups and added a 212 evo.

If he's not going to overclock there's no need for a K model CPU or Z77 board (and a non-stock CPU cooler)
Also the MSI 760s run quieter and cooler or so I've been told.
Thanks for the tips. Even with tweaks, you're basically saying that I did a good job on my picks, right? xD

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Just buy a used 3770K for $240, that's what I did
Asking on behalf of a friend and it may be inappropriate here, but any suggested websites for pre-built PCs in the U.S.?
NCIS will aseemble for a fee. I'd do that over prebuilt.
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=7842&vpn=PC-ASSEMBLY&manufacture=NCIXPC
Building a PC for a friend, and his budget is $1,000. This is what I came up with for him. Thoughts? (He prefers Intel / Nvidia combo)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/xBladeM6x/saved/3hcW
Super overkill on the PSU. I'd drop that down to almost anything else in the OP above 550W and nab a Z87 + 4670K board or at the very least put in a better Z77 mobo.
So... I finished building my first PC after like 4 hours of tinkering! Yay for me and thank you all!

Everything seems to work fine, except for the fact that... I can't install Windows.

Basically when I have to pick which drive to install, it doesn't matter what I choose, it always answers with a "setup was unable to create a new system partition".
This error already occurred to me once when I replaced the HDD on my MacBook, but I totally forgot what I did.

Anyway, searching around I tried several workarounds.
- clean/format/active via diskpart
- unplugging the HDD, leaving the SSD as the only drive connected
- removing the USB Windows stick and putting it back (weird but seems to work for someone)

Nothing works.

As it's 5 AM here, I'm kinda out of ideas so I'm sorry to come back to you as my last hope... :D

What the heck am I missing here??

(AsRock Z87 Pro3, SanDisk 128GB, Win7 Ultimate)
Tried in port 0 and 1 (there are 4 other ports, but I guess I'm gonna try them tomorrow)

BTW the disk works fine.
UEFI recognizes it (EDIT: and Win install too, for that matter) and I tried to mount it in an external case and pluggin it on my laptop: instantly readable and writable.

Apparently it could be SATA drivers missing, but I don't have a working optical drive to run the drivers cd and on the mobo page on AsRock site there isn't a SATA driver to download.
Ports 0 and 1 might be a different controller. Worth trying the other ports anyway. Does it install on the HDD? Do you have any software to make a new GPT/MBR windows partition?

longdi

Banned
Depends on how long someone is planning on keeping the card, really.

Plus I really like mods. Those will be sure to push cards over the 2GB limit in the future. Already do with Skyrim.

I think the 770 occupies this weird space. The 760 is the card to get if you're looking for $:performance. The 770 is on the same chipset and doesn't give me a good feel on future performance. The 780 is the real enthusiast card that is just right.

The 7970/280x is really the go-to pick in this situation if prices weren't fucked.

7970 GE was like 280-330 just in Nov with 3 free games!
even better non-ref 7950B with the same 3 free games went as low as 180 in teh same period! like serios! should have bought and sold some back then!

come to think of it, 280x is sad case total without the free games.

diaspora

7970 GE was like 280-330 just in Nov with 3 free games!
even better non-ref 7950B with the same 3 free games went as low as 180 in teh same period! like serios! should have bought and sold some back then!

come to think of it, 280x is sad case total without the free games.

I got the Asus DCUII 7970 for like $250 with 3 free games. The huge overclocking potential of that card at the price was great.

longdi

Banned
I got the Asus DCUII 7970 for like $250 with 3 free games. The huge overclocking potential of that card at the price was great.

fuck winner! 7970s overclock like mad and will come close to a stock 780. whats yours?
AMD new R9 dont seem to overclock as well because of the 28nm limits and their new variable stepped voltages

mkenyon

Banned
Im building a AMD FX8320 Gaming PC
I just bought a GTX 760 4GB
any recommendations to a MOBO?
Already bought the processor? If not, swap for an i3 or base level i5.

The 8320s are high power consumption procs that excell at media creation, but fall short for gaming.

If you're set on it, get a 990FX board with at least 8 phase power delivery. They need it. I'd look at ASUS and Gigabyte in particular.

Chris R

Finally back up and running at near 100%

Still have issues when I plug my mouse into certain USB ports.

Might have a lan port issue (might be a router issue, might go away after a few hours...) as I dropped out of a game of Dota 2 tonight, but lucky for me another player did so first.

Just hope the replacement PSU doesn't have the clicking...

Giggzy

So I put together a new ITX build but it's not working.

When I turn on the PC it powers on for close to a minute and then reboots itself. I'm not getting any picture on the monitor.

Any ideas?

*EDIT*

Nevermind. RAM wasn't plugged in all the way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Corsair Air 540 plus Corsair H60. Good God, that combo. It's all so eerily quiet. :O
I keep thinking the fans are not running. lol

Warnings were disabled by default. D:

Niice!

Is the corsair air 540 a replacement fan for the H60? My H60 has a stock fan and won't go below 1050rpm no matter what I do with the bios or speed fan, and at idle it is a little annoying for noise.

DarkFlow

Banned
Hey, sorry to repost, I'm just still wondering. If I get an OEM copy of Windows 7 and install it, will the copy stop working if I upgrade my computer significantly, or can I carry it over or reactivate it in some way?

If you call in and activate it, you'll be able to. I once took a key off my laptop and used it to install on desktop.

Copons

Ports 0 and 1 might be a different controller. Worth trying the other ports anyway. Does it install on the HDD? Do you have any software to make a new GPT/MBR windows partition?

I'm sorry but I just fell asleep. :D

HDD gives me the same error, but I have tried it only the first time, in port 1, after disconnecting it,

As per the software, diskpart should do, shouldn't it?

I'm sorry but I just fell asleep. :D

HDD gives me the same error, but I have tried it only the first time, in port 1, after disconnecting it,

As per the software, diskpart should do, shouldn't it?

I presume this SSD is wiped(clean?)
If so you could try ion the windows setup when you have to select which drive to install to actually delete the partition first and then create a new partition. When I wanted to previously install windows 8 before I was getting errors with MBR until I actualy did this.

wilflare

Looks like they're going to be doing a Fortress version of the RVZ01 (steambox-like enclosure), second from the left:

p8ockzEl.jpg

Also, new Fortress FT05, a real successor to the FT02:

LL

Xwx2NuT.jpg

Not unless your CPU is going crazy. You can set the speed of the fan in BIOS.

Seems like I'm finally able to upgrade from my FT01... FT05?

I'm getting increasingly tempted to upgrade my sound system. currently using Audinst MX-1 with my Acoustic Energy AegoM 2.1 speakers (really want to get the Philips Fideli X1 headphones but oh well)

are Intel SSDs the best? hmm it's probably the only brand I can buy from Amazon.com and not worry about warranty.

btw is there anyway to prevent my PC (Windows 8.1 Pro) from sleeping when Steam is downloading or when there's a file transfer happening from my PC to my Vita?

Copons

I presume this SSD is wiped(clean?)
If so you could try ion the windows setup when you have to select which drive to install to actually delete the partition first and then create a new partition. When I wanted to previously install windows 8 before I was getting errors with MBR until I actualy did this.

Well, that was the first thing I tried before resorting to diskpart and opening the case again. :)

Anyway, searching more, turned out that MAYBE it's because I'm installing via USB. Some people said they were with the DVD. I don't have a single working DVD drive around, but I guess somehow I could try to find one (like, mounting an old IDE drive in an IDE external case, but I still have to remember where I left that thing :D ).

Sarcasm

If I update firmware for my SSD that is pretty much a data wipe right? My intel SSD (some basic one) has one, its telling me in the toolbox.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
If I update firmware for my SSD that is pretty much a data wipe right? My intel SSD (some basic one) has one, its telling me in the toolbox.

It shouldn't be, but maybe Intel drives are different. I updated the firmware on my M4 without wiping it.

Hey guys, so I'm thinking of upgrading my PC. I kinda just play some single player games and mainly WoW. I was hoping to just upgrade my current rig..but looking at it, I think I'm basically forced to upgrade the entire thing. My current build is the picture on the top, and my cost/spec effective build that I'm thinking of buying is on the bottom.

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions!

Current Build:

Specs.png

Potential Cost Effective Build:

newspecs.png

kennah

Great choices for your build. I'd drop down to 8gig of ram (unless you need lots for media work/multitasking), and would up the video card to a 760 with the savings.

You would be well served to get an SSD as well. Just grab an SSD instead of the new drive and transfer your hard drives from your old computer.

And make sure to install the 64bit version of windows when you reinstall. The key would work in either version.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hey guys, so I'm thinking of upgrading my PC. I kinda just play some single player games and mainly WoW. I was hoping to just upgrade my current rig..but looking at it, I think I'm basically forced to upgrade the entire thing. My current build is the picture on the top, and my cost/spec effective build that I'm thinking of buying is on the bottom.

Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions!

Current Build:

Potential Cost Effective Build:

[IMG][/QUOTE]

All depends on your budget. That build looks good, but do you need 16GB RAM? I'd say shave off $80 there and get 8GB and throw in a nice SSD.

Not sure of the quality of EVGA's PSUs. May or may not be a good choice, you would be okay stepping down to a quality 550W if it's cheaper and still have plenty of headroom.

Niks

Guys I have a question regarding hard drives, and transferring data..

How do I move data from my old hard drive to a new one? I was guessing it was only a matter of connecting the old one to the motherboard.. but it seems my old hard drive is SATA II (3gb/s) and my new mobo only has SATA III (6gb/sec) ports.
How do I go about it? The new mobo also has 2 rear panel eSATA (6gb/s) ports. Could I use that somehow?

Thanks-

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Guys I have a question regarding hard drives, and transferring data..

How do I move data from my old hard drive to a new one? I was guessing it was only a matter of connecting the old one to the motherboard.. but it seems my old hard drive is SATA II (3gb/s) and my new mobo only has SATA III (6gb/sec) ports.
How do I go about it? The new mobo also has 2 rear panel eSATA (6gb/s) ports. Could I use that somehow?

Thanks-

SATA ports are backward compatible, you'll just be limited by whichever device (mobo/drive) has the lower speed. HDDs can't take advantage of more than 3gb/s anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom