• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

It no doubt can handle what you throw at it, but that doesn't mean it's a good buy for people coming into this thread looking for the best equipment for their budget.

No one is hostile to AMD here, we just tell it like it is.
If someone decided however to build something with a 6300 or 8350 I'd argue they aren't making a poor choice, though. Gamers can (but not always) have a need for multicore/encoding/transcoding, believe it or not -- and it doesn't lag so far behind Haswell i3 that it makes it completely obsolete or something for games. btw, if you get the right mobo you can OC the crap out of Vishera and likely make up for (and then some) the gap in performance between it and the latest i3's.

I'd also like to point out that we should hope AMD doesn't completely fall off the wagon or else Intel is just going to gain even more market share and that means their CPU's will become even more expensive. I don't think anyone wants that. They need some competition.

kharma45

So we're going to have to go through all of this again then?

If someone decided however to build something with a 6300 or 8350 I'd argue they aren't making a poor choice, though.

Of course you wouldn't seeing as you own an AMD based system.

Neither would I in some very niche circumstances though.

if you get the right mobo you can OC the crap out of Vishera and likely make up for (and then some) the gap in performance between it and the latest i3's.

And the right motherboard and the cooler to overclock will invariably cost more than what you'd need for an i3. Performance wise you're still not going to match an i3 by overclocking. Vishera gains around 10-15% so it's still not enough, and that's whilst dramatically increasing power consumption.

I'd also like to point out that we should hope AMD doesn't completely fall off the wagon or else Intel is just going to gain even more market share and that means their CPU's will become even more expensive. I don't think anyone wants that. They need some competition.

Oh look one point you're actually right with. Of course it'd be terrible if AMD was to pull out of the CPU market (which I imagine they will to focus on APUs) but I like good performance and AMD doesn't really offer that now. They took the wrong design decision with Bulldozer and have been trying ever since to squeeze whatever performance out of it that they can to not much success. Add in to that Intel's vast cash reserves and fabrication advantage it's a sorry state in the CPU market but that's the reality of it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The crazy thing to me is that Intel might hit 14nm before AMD hits 22nm. The gap is insane.

I wonder if spinning off GloFlo was worth it in the end for AMD. Seems like now the only way they could possibly "catch up" would be to pay Intel a ridiculous amount of money to use their fabs.

Miguel81

If someone decided however to build something with a 6300 or 8350 I'd argue they aren't making a poor choice, though. Gamers can (but not always) have a need for multicore/encoding/transcoding, believe it or not -- and it doesn't lag so far behind Haswell i3 that it makes it completely obsolete or something for games. btw, if you get the right mobo you can OC the crap out of Vishera and likely make up for (and then some) the gap in performance between it and the latest i3's.

I'm using an 8320 and it's great for pretty much everything except Dolphin. No way would I choose a fucking dual core(i3) over this.

kharma45

The crazy thing to me is that Intel might hit 14nm before AMD hits 22nm. The gap is insane.

I wonder if spinning off GloFlo was worth it in the end for AMD. Seems like now the only way they could possibly "catch up" would be to pay Intel a ridiculous amount of money to use their fabs.

I've no doubt they will, they seemed pretty optimistic about it

“We have the capacity we need and the ability to scale as needed,” said Chuck Mulloy, a spokesman for Intel, when asked whether Intel has enough 14nm-capable manufacturing capacities to start volume production of the code-named Broadwell chips later this year.

If AMD hadn't sold off their fabs they'd have likely went bust.

I'm using an 8320 and it's great for pretty much everything except Dolphin. No way would I choose a fucking dual core(i3) over this.

If you look at it from the way AMD does cores it's more like a quad core in their books.

Fair enough if you wouldn't choose it. I guess better performance in most games is too much for some.

Klyka

Banned
Just a very simple question:

I have an i5-2500k running @ 4.7ghz. I got a GTX 770 running alongside it.
Is there any reason for me to upgrade my CPU? If i upgraded,how much performance increase would I see?

I am talking strictly gaming. CPU intensive stuff like DayZ, Planetside 2, etc...

Diablos

Of course you wouldn't seeing as you own an AMD based system.
It has absolutely nothing to do with any bias. If it did, then I wouldn't be admitting that those in the market for something new should seriously look into the Haswell i3.

Neither would I in some very niche circumstances though.
There is absolutely nothing niche about using your PC as a media server or for encoding. It's one of the last reasons outside of gaming for a mainstream user to hold on to his/her clunky computer case over just doing everything on an ultrabook or tablet. It's hard for people in this thread to come to terms with this however. To you, it's just "Sony Vegas all day" which literally makes me laugh my ass off, I'm sorry.

And the right motherboard and the cooler to overclock will invariably cost more than what you'd need for an i3. Performance wise you're still not going to match an i3 by overclocking. Vishera gains around 10-15% so it's still not enough, and that's whilst dramatically increasing power consumption.
You'd be surprised. You could get a $119 95W 6300 up to 4.1 or so with a $30 aftermarket cooler, and as long as you aren't using the 970A-G46 or something you don't have to spend a fortune on the mobo either. Watercooling seems to be getting more affordable as well. Given these CPU's at stock (or close to it) provide satisfactory performance to begin with for most of us, I'd say you are still getting a good value after OCing. I also wonder if AMD will cut prices on Vishera again.

Oh look one point you're actually right with. Of course it'd be terrible if AMD was to pull out of the CPU market (which I imagine they will to focus on APUs) but I like good performance and AMD doesn't really offer that now. They took the wrong design decision with Bulldozer and have been trying ever since to squeeze whatever performance out of it that they can to not much success. Add in to that Intel's vast cash reserves and fabrication advantage it's a sorry state in the CPU market but that's the reality of it.
You mean one you actually agree with? I agree, I think AMD is putting all their money behind the APU but unless they can figure something out in the next 12-16 months I can't see it paying off for them.

My problem here is that simply mentioning Vishera for example tends to start a huge back and forth. Any other place I go to where people are talking about CPU's, it is not this dramatic. It's not like I'm suggesting an A6 over Haswell here.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just a very simple question:

I have an i5-2500k running @ 4.7ghz. I got a GTX 770 running alongside it.
Is there any reason for me to upgrade my CPU? If i upgraded,how much performance increase would I see?

I am talking strictly gaming. CPU intensive stuff like DayZ, Planetside 2, etc...

See thread title. 4670K would be a pretty marginal upgrade, and if you get a bad draw and can't OC well it might even be a downgrade.

Kabuto

dumb question but what official Nvidia programs do you guys recommend I should download? The only thing I have installed is Geforce Experience.

kennah

Sigh. All over again.

If you already have a 6300 there is no point in going to an i3. You are exactly right there.

If you are building a new computer FROM SCRATCH then yes. Go with an i3.

And I'm sorry. Media encoding is very niche. Most users wouldn't give a shit or even notice about the couple minutes longer it takes to recode something for the occasional time that it happens. If you have heavy media use then sure why not. Extra core to your hearts content. I'm really tired of these arguments.

Come back when you have some fucking benchmarks or proof.

Giggzy

I'm loving this EVGA Hadron Air build I just put together.

The case is so sleek and tiny, and pretty quiet too. Only negative I have is the cable management sucks. I'll have to get creative to clean it up.

kharma45

It has absolutely nothing to do with any bias. If it did, then I wouldn't be admitting that those in the market for something new should seriously look into the Haswell i3.

There is absolutely nothing niche about using your PC as a media server or for encoding. It's one of the last reasons outside of gaming for a mainstream user to hold on to his/her clunky computer case over just doing everything on an ultrabook or tablet. It's hard for people in this thread to come to terms with this however. To you, it's just "Sony Vegas all day" which literally makes me laugh my ass off, I'm sorry.

Sorry AMD is pretty good for WinZip etc. too.

You'd be surprised. You could get a $119 95W 6300 up to 4.1 or so with a $30 aftermarket cooler, and as long as you aren't using the 970A-G46 or something you don't have to spend a fortune on the mobo either. Watercooling seems to be getting more affordable as well. Given these CPU's at stock (or close to it) provide satisfactory performance to begin with for most of us, I'd say you are still getting a good value after OCing. I also wonder if AMD will cut prices on Vishera again.

So you're spending more to get less? For $119 you can get a 54w i3 4130 and I can choose any motherboard I want rather than have to be choosy and get good power delivery on AM3+.

Performance is satisfactory, but that's not good enough when the Intel alternative is better.

You mean one you actually agree with? I agree, I think AMD is putting all their money behind the APU but unless they can figure something out in the next 12-16 months I can't see it paying off for them.

My problem here is that simply mentioning Vishera for example tends to start a huge back and forth. Any other place I go to where people are talking about CPU's, it is not this dramatic. It's not like I'm suggesting an A6 over Haswell here.

The only back and forth happens when people can't accept the fact that Intel generally offers better performance at every price point.

The 'drama' here comes from our frustration with posters like yourself who are pushing AMD into holes where they don't fit.

kennah

I'm loving this EVGA Hadron Air build I just put together.

The case is so sleek and tiny, and pretty quiet too. Only negative I have is the cable management sucks. I'll have to get creative to clean it up.
Pictures please! I really kinda want one

lbk62

Ok, i need help with a decision here, so i ordered a gtx 780 ti on january, seems like fedex+usps "lost" my package, i asked for a replacement but they dont have the same combo ( gtx+some games) and they refund all my money 743 dlls + a gift card.

So i got another money, 330 dlls from other miscellanous works, now i have enough for a Titan, what should i do? get my 780ti again, go for a Titan, or wait for the new Titan (and how much will i wait?)

Thanks

Saad

I decided to sell my kidney (not literally) and build a PC for the first time.
This is what I got so far:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Isfo
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Isfo/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Isfo/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($373.98 @ Best Buy)
Case: EVGA Hadron Mini ITX Tower Case w/500W Power Supply ($174.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1142.59
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-27 10:13 EST-0500)

The full price including a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse (+taxes) is $1373. I want it mainly for gaming and school work. I'm not familiar with OC so I don't think I'll do it, at least not at first. But will the CPU cooler be enough when I decide to?

Klyka

Banned
See thread title. 4670K would be a pretty marginal upgrade, and if you get a bad draw and can't OC well it might even be a downgrade.

i don't understand how people are getting much bette rperformance in CPU intensive games than me then. It's not like they have it overclocked any higher than I do.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
You would probably want a cooler with a 120mm fan. 92mm is most likely going to mean a smaller (= worse) heatsink and smaller fans are going to be noisier pushing the same amount of air (or less).

i don't understand how people are getting much bette rperformance in CPU intensive games than me then. It's not like they have it overclocked any higher than I do.

Could be a number of things, like background tasks taking up resources, or your CPU throttling. I assume you've checked to make sure that's not the case. And if people have a better GPU they could still get better performance even in CPU heavy games, CPU and GPU are going to be doing different tasks and not really making up for one another.

Saad

You would probably want a cooler with a 120mm fan. 92mm is most likely going to mean a smaller (= worse) heatsink and smaller fans are going to be noisier pushing the same amount of air (or less).
Most of the builds that I've seen for this case used a 92mm, so I thought the 120mm wouldn't fit. I'll look more into it.

hey whats going on in her...oh

this garbage again?

Anyways how are the new Samsung SSDs going now price wise since it might be time to get a 256 or higher.

And also that top loading drive bay on the CM 690 2 Advanced case is finally being utilized and makes the initial decision to get the case even better lol

kennah

Ok, i need help with a decision here, so i ordered a gtx 780 ti on january, seems like fedex+usps "lost" my package, i asked for a replacement but they dont have the same combo ( gtx+some games) and they refund all my money 743 dlls + a gift card.

So i got another money, 330 dlls from other miscellanous works, now i have enough for a Titan, what should i do? get my 780ti again, go for a Titan, or wait for the new Titan (and how much will i wait?)

Thanks
The 780 Ti is faster than a Titan anyway. Just get a Ti unless you really need 3 gigs of ram or more cuda cores. (You probably don't)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.67 @ Amazon)

The full price including a monitor, a keyboard and a mouse (+taxes) is $1373. I want it mainly for gaming and school work. I'm not familiar with OC so I don't think I'll do it, at least not at first. But will the CPU cooler be enough when I decide to?
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=37&lng=en

Get that instead. And if you want to save a little cash drop down to a 760. But otherwise pretty solid build.

kharma45

For OCing it's quite easy to do. It's a matter of entering the UEFI and changing the multiplier and the usually the voltage too. Then reboot, test and if it holds that's great! For the cooler you'd need the one in the SFF bit of the OP

WiQHPEN.pngg

RAM wise drop that Corsair stuff for this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na It's $72 after the discount code

SSD wise you can save money with the M500 too at $76 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ4F9ZA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 It's not quite as fast but it's still an SSD and will be perfectly quick for most people.

I'd grab the cheaper Gigabyte 770 too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

Worth noting too that 4GB is overkill at present on a 1080p screen and I would imagine you'll be looking to upgrade from the 770 before the 4GB of VRAM is relevant in most titles. Your call though!

lbk62

The 780 Ti is faster than a Titan anyway. Just get a Ti unless you really need 3 gigs of ram or more cuda cores. (You probably don't)

Thanks, i will get the one with the EVGA ACX cooler.

This is my rig:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
CPU Cooler :Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 x2
Storage: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SSD
Storage: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM
Video Card: EVGA 03G-P4-2884-KR GeForce GTX 780 Ti w/EVGA ACX Cooler :(
Case:CM Storm Stryker

kharma45

Thanks, i will get the one with the EVGA ACX cooler.

This is my rig:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
CPU Cooler :Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 x2
Storage: SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SSD
Storage: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM
Video Card: EVGA 03G-P4-2884-KR GeForce GTX 780 Ti w/EVGA ACX Cooler :(
Case:CM Storm Stryker

Make sure that RAM is low profile, if not swap it out. Do you really need a full tower case? I'm imagining it's going to be needlessly big for what you need.

PBY

Banned
Guys, so I posted bout this earlier, and now I've done some research.

I'm starting to think this might not exist?

What I'm looking for-

I want to spend 200ish dollars on a prebuilt box- I don't wanna build it myself- that can run steam and indie games that aren't taxing. Does that exist? And where can I look? Browsing around newegg and amazon, and shit is confusing to someone totally uninitiated like me.

This is something I've been thinking about. The 780 TI is faster, but the Titan has more VRAM. Would there ever be a situation in which you would want the extra ram instead of the faster GPU?

kennah

What I'm looking for-

I want to spend 200ish dollars on a prebuilt box- I don't wanna build it myself- that can run steam and indie games that aren't taxing. Does that exist? And where can I look? Browsing around newegg and amazon, and shit is confusing to someone totally uninitiated like me.
Doesn't exist. You could maybe put something together with used parts... but yeah, you'd be hard pressed. Here is the minimum of components you need for any computer.

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
Hard Drive
Case
Power Supply.

Even barebonesing the fuck out of it, you're still going to have trouble hitting $200, and even then there would be major sacrifices to any good performance. I'll do up a build similar to what I put together for my grandma (SFF, APU, runs older stuff and non taxing games well enough).
This is something I've been thinking about. The 780 TI is faster, but the Titan has more VRAM. Would there every be a situation in which you would want the extra ram instead of the faster GPU?
Nothing currently. It can be handy for professional work, extreme texture modding, ridiculously high resolutions. But for the most part... there'll be faster cards for cheap by the time the necessity comes about.

riflen

This is something I've been thinking about. The 780 TI is faster, but the Titan has more VRAM. Would there ever be a situation in which you would want the extra ram instead of the faster GPU?

Probably if modded Skyrim is important to you. Or you like to play at very, very high resolutions at slide-show frame-rates (screen-shotting?).

kharma45

What I'm looking for-

Save more. You'll need $400 at least.

No.

Is the Corsair CX750m a good deal at 70 bucks after rebate?

They're mediocre units. Plus the wattage is overkill unless you want to power 2 GPUs, and I'd suggest a better unit. If it's for a single GPU there are cheaper and better quality units out there.

kennah

What I'm looking for-

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus A88XM-A Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($69.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($22.95 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Momentus 5400.6 320GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Xion XON-720P_WT MicroATX Slim Case w/300W Power Supply ($33.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $231.90
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-27 11:41 EST-0500)

This is the best I can do... I'm not sure how happy it would make you, but yeah, like Kharma said, save longer, get better. A fairly decent $400 build is possible. And at any price point below $400 you'll have to build yourself anyway. Wait a bit longer for the $399 steam machines to be released and see what they're like.

PBY

Banned
Thanks guys, really appreciate the help. Im going to look into possibly building it myself, but at 400$ I'm starting to head into SteamBox territory- might just wait for one of the low end ones to drop I guess.

redlegs87

They're mediocre units. Plus the wattage is overkill unless you want to power 2 GPUs, and I'd suggest a better unit. If it's for a single GPU there are cheaper and better quality units out there.

What would you suggest I get instead. I have been waffling over if I want to get a second 760 down the road or not I can't decide.

kharma45

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help. Im going to look into possibly building it myself, but at 400$ I'm starting to head into SteamBox territory- might just wait for one of the low end ones to drop I guess.

If you go for a Steambox and Steam OS don't forget you'll be limited in what titles you can access.

Somewhere like NCIX can assemble a machine for a small fee.

What would you suggest I get instead. I have been waffling over if I want to get a second 760 down the road or not I can't decide.

You'd be looking at a unit nearer $100 for something with some quality and modular cables. The CX might well do you OK but they've too many DOA units for my liking and I don't really rate the internals.

If you do decide to get a second 760 down the road then get one. I wouldn't buy the PSU off the thought of it and then not follow through.

redlegs87

You'd be looking at a unit nearer $100 for something with some quality and modular cables. The CX might well do you OK but they've too many DOA units for my liking and I don't really rate the internals.

If you do decide to get a second 760 down the road then get one. I wouldn't buy the PSU off the thought of it and then not follow through.

I'll just stick with one gpu and upgrade to another better single gpu later.

[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182132&clickid=w35ROTWlYXJOUVr3Q7SHORhRUkT3eAQtxTvGUI0&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na]Rosewill hive 650w[/URL] for 80 bucks is this still overkill for a single GPU?

lbk62

Make sure that RAM is low profile, if not swap it out. Do you really need a full tower case? I'm imagining it's going to be needlessly big for what you need.

Ram has a heat dissipator, so its kinda of big, but it fits, i can take off the heat dissipator.
As for the tower, i know is overkill but its beatiful and that big fan just got me.

I already have all the parts except the gpu.

What about the rumors of the GTX Titan Black Edition and GTX 790?

I forgot, im using a EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80 PLUS GOLD Certified 1000W PSU

kharma45

I'll just stick with one gpu and upgrade to another better single gpu later.

[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182132&clickid=w35ROTWlYXJOUVr3Q7SHORhRUkT3eAQtxTvGUI0&iradid=97618&ircid=2106&irpid=79301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na]Rosewill hive 650w[/URL] for 80 bucks is this still overkill for a single GPU?

It is. For $15 less this would power it fine http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017KE3DM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

mkenyon

Banned
On the FX vs i3 debate

An FX6350 may have been a decent decision as a budget-oriented gaming processor when it was first released, as a 2-4 year machine. As it is now, it's a terrible decision. No PCI-E 3.0, likely a dead socket, no viable upgrade path.

Right now, it's as simple as this. If you want solid gaming performance, want a judder free MP experience, and even do stuff like encode via PLEX, then the i3 is a superior option any way you look at it. Throw in the fact that you have tons of upgrade options down the line, and the comparison starts to look even more slanted. There's no argument with any objective data that says otherwise. Stop being foolish.

If you aren't picky about solid performance, don't play a lot of MP games, and have a lot of media creation uses for your PC, the FX series might be a decent option. This is doubly true if you never ever plan on upgrading the processor. What confuses this, is that the person listed here likely wouldn't notice any difference between an i3 and FX6350. That being the case, they might as well go on with an i3 system so they have a future upgrade path. In fact, the only person we are left with is someone that cares about general usage/multimedia creation benchmark data and performance, and less so about gaming benchmark data and performance.

That latter category, Diablos, is extremely niche here. Deal with it. Stop trying to confuse people with bad advice.

I've been offered a XFX 5970 Black Edition Dual GPU 2GB GDDR5 Graphics card for £120. I currently have some really old piece of rubbish, is that a decent price and a decent card to tide me over until a Maxwell refresh later this year?

kharma45

I've been offered a XFX 5970 Black Edition Dual GPU 2GB GDDR5 Graphics card for £120. I currently have some really old piece of rubbish, is that a decent price and a decent card to tide me over until a Maxwell refresh later this year?

It is still very potent but I'd prefer an R9 270.

redlegs87

How does this look so far? I know I know no ssd but I really can't afford one right now I need to keep the budget as close to 900 as possible 10-20 over is alright but I can't go to crazy.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $29.99)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cougar Solution (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $49.99)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $891.59
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-27 12:23 EST-0500)

kharma45

ok thanks

It's still a very potent card (it's either dual 5850s or 5870s) but Crossfire isn't great on that generation, it'll consume a lot of power too.

Rough comparison http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/587?vs=548

5970 is faster when CF works but I don't think it's worth the headache. If you want a new card to tide you over then the R9 270 is a good one still. Rebadged 7870 basically http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-...-900mhz-boost-975mhz-1280-streams-dp-dvi-hdmi

I've got a sort of a question for those of you in this thread, if you'd be kind enough to indulge me.

I'm looking to put together a new PC at some stage over the next 12 months or thereabouts. This PC will be intended to at the very least compete with (and comfortably perform better than) the consoles for the coming generation.

I put my current PC together over the period 2008-2011, and it consists of the following:

CPU - Core2Quad 9300 (2.5Ghz)
GPU - GTX 560Ti 1Gb
RAM - 4Gb DDR3
Mobo - Asus Maximus Extreme
HDD - 1Tb WD Digital Black & 640Gb WD Digital Blue
PSU - Antec 650W
Case - Antec 900
OS - Windows Vista 64-bit
Monitor - Samsung BX2450 (24", 1080p)

I would be happy to salvage my HDDs, PSU or Case (or a combination of them) for the new build. Depending on finances, of course. And with regards to the monitor... it's pretty good, I like it. I guess I'd still be somewhat interested in a nice big 27" 120hz 1440p monitor too, if I could ever afford such a thing.

So, I guess I just have a very broad, open question around "what are my options?" here.

I looked online here in Ireland and had a quick scan of things like a Core i7 4770k, a GTX 780, a Maximus Formula board, etc. but it started to head up towards €1,500 and I don't really know if that's what I'm looking for. Six years ago I didn't really give as much of a damn about the bill, but things have changed. I'd rather be a bit more responsible about this.

Maybe the best approach would be to see what can be done in order to make the most of my wishes above, see where the price falls, and work back from there.

Thanks!

kharma45

I've got a sort of a question for those of you in this thread, if you'd be kind enough to indulge me.

I'm looking to put together a new PC at some stage over the next 12 months or thereabouts. This PC will be intended to at the very least compete with (and comfortably perform better than) the consoles for the coming generation.

I put my current PC together over the period 2008-2011, and it consists of the following:

CPU - Core2Quad 9300 (2.5Ghz)
GPU - GTX 560Ti 1Gb
RAM - 4Gb DDR3
Mobo - Asus Maximus Extreme
HDD - 1Tb WD Digital Black & 640Gb WD Digital Blue
PSU - Antec 650W
Case - Antec 900
OS - Windows Vista 64-bit
Monitor - Samsung BX2450 (24", 1080p)

I would be happy to salvage my HDDs, PSU or Case (or a combination of them) for the new build. Depending on finances, of course. And with regards to the monitor... it's pretty good, I like it. I guess I'd still be somewhat interested in a nice big 27" 120hz 1440p monitor too, if I could ever afford such a thing.

So, I guess I just have a very broad, open question around "what are my options?" here.

I looked online here in Ireland and had a quick scan of things like a Core i7 4770k, a GTX 780, a Maximus Formula board, etc. but it started to head up towards €1,500 and I don't really know if that's what I'm looking for. Six years ago I didn't really give as much of a damn about the bill, but things have changed. I'd rather be a bit more responsible about this.

Maybe the best approach would be to see what can be done in order to make the most of my wishes above, see where the price falls, and work back from there.

Thanks!

You could re-use your case if you're still happy with it, your PSU (although the exact model would help determine this), RAM (just add another 4GB) and HDDs. Selling the rest will help money wise.

If you're just gaming look to the 4670K and a Z87 UD3H as your PC backbone.

Miguel81

On the FX vs i3 debate

An FX6350 may have been a decent decision as a budget-oriented gaming processor when it was first released, as a 2-4 year machine. As it is now, it's a terrible decision. No PCI-E 3.0, likely a dead socket, no viable upgrade path.

Right now, it's as simple as this. If you want solid gaming performance, want a judder free MP experience, and even do stuff like encode via PLEX, then the i3 is a superior option any way you look at it. Throw in the fact that you have tons of upgrade options down the line, and the comparison starts to look even more slanted. There's no argument with any objective data that says otherwise. Stop being foolish.

If you aren't picky about solid performance, don't play a lot of MP games, and have a lot of media creation uses for your PC, the FX series might be a decent option. This is doubly true if you never ever plan on upgrading the processor. What confuses this, is that the person listed here likely wouldn't notice any difference between an i3 and FX6350. That being the case, they might as well go on with an i3 system so they have a future upgrade path. In fact, the only person we are left with is someone that cares about general usage/multimedia creation benchmark data and performance, and less so about gaming benchmark data and performance.

That latter category, Diablos, is extremely niche here. Deal with it. Stop trying to confuse people with bad advice.

An i3 instead of an FX6000+. That's not the type of answer I'd get over on Tom's Hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom