• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the look of the silverstone rvz01. When is it coming out? Also if I was really careful could I build my first PC with it? Or should I start with a normal sized case?

kennah

I really like the look of the silverstone rvz01. When is it coming out? Also if I was really careful could I build my first PC with it? Or should I start with a normal sized case?

Be a bit of a tight squeeze, but you could probably manage.

So this should be what I'm looking at?

CPU
i5 4670K 4C/4T
Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H
RAM
2x8 (16GB)
Graphics
GTX 770 4GB
SSD
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
Storage
2TB HDD
Power Supply
CoolerMaster V700
Case
- ???
Optical Drive
SATA DVD Burner
Heatsink
Corsair H60
Sound Card
Xonar DGX

Which case should I look for and what can such a set-up handle?
Ok. Since you're new and have said you're new... You don't need the Sound Card to start, Onboard audio is probably enough for you. As mentioned, there are better PSUs for the money. You probably don't need 16 Gig of ram unless you're running virtual machines, doing a LOT of multitasking or media/coding work.

Again, make sure you get a multi fan GPU. Don't worry about custom water. The H60 is a great closed loop though.

The Fractal R4 is a great starter case. Lots of room to work in, it's very quiet and has no sharp edges.

Got all my parts picked out (thanks kharma45 for the help a few pages back), but I am still racking my brain over the CPU. Is the 4670K really a huge jump over something like a 4440 or 4570? It can save me ~$60 and I'm just not sure if the .2GHz performance is worth the higher price tag.

kharma45

It's not a .2GHz increase. Well it is but point of the 4670K is to overclock it and take it up to 4.2GHz and above. That's what you're paying for with it, gives it a 20-25% boost over stock clocks.

kennah

Got all my parts picked out (thanks kharma45 for the help a few pages back), but I am still racking my brain over the CPU. Is the 4670K really a huge jump over something like a 4470 or 4570? It can save me ~$60 and I'm just not sure if the .2GHz performance is worth the higher price tag.

That .2 GHz becomes .8-1.2Ghz once you over clock. It's a huge increase. (if you have a Z87 board)

It's not a .2GHz increase. Well it is but point of the 4670K is to overclock it and take it up to 4.2GHz and above. That's what you're paying for with it, gives it a 20-25% boost over stock clocks.

What if I don't plan on overclocking though?

I guess it is to say that I've never previously overclocked, and the concept of it is foreign and a little intimidating.

kharma45

What if I don't plan on overclocking though?

I guess it is to say that I've never previously overclocked, and the concept of it is foreign and a little intimidating.

If you don't plan on overclocking then no need for a Z87 board either. B85 or H87 would do in that case.

Overclocking however is nothing to be afraid of. I'd recommend doing some reading up about it and then deciding. It's a matter of changing two UEFI values (the multiplier and the voltage), stress testing to see if it's stable and the temperatures are ok and voila it's overclocked.

It'll help a lot in CPU bound games like anything Source based as well as other tasks that require CPU power.

It's not essential but it'll extend the relevancy of the CPU.

DarkFlow

Banned
Intel has kicked the shit out of AMD since the Core 2 Duo Canoe days. I don't think I'll ever get a AMD CPU again, then again I might be a little biased...

w9m2AJk.jpg

kharma45

Do some reading and see how you feel. It's not hard to do, but the increased cost can put some off. $99 for a decent Z87 board, $25 for the cooler then two hundred and whatever for the CPU does add up. It is however I feel a good investment, but I'm only here to advise not force you to buy anything you're not comfortable with :p

Lexxism

So, I'm trying to build a PC. Here's what I'm trying to build with.

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA3 DVI HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard $129.99
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K Unlocked Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 6MB Cache Retail $254.99
GPU: ???
SDD: Samsung 840 Evo Series MZ-7TE120BW 120GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD Single Unit Version $104.99
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM $72.12
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Gaming Case ATX 3X5.25 4X3.5 Front USB3.0 Audio No PSU
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit $84.99
PSU: Antec HCG-520M 520W ATX12V Modular SINGLE-RAIL 40A 80PLUS Bronze 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply $84.99

Total: CA$802.06

Any impression on it?

damn, pretty expensive here. Or that's how I see it

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

Motherboard: ASRock Z87 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 SATA3 DVI HDMI USB3.0 Motherboard $129.99
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K Unlocked Quad Core 3.4GHZ Processor LGA1150 Haswell 6MB Cache Retail $254.99
SDD: Samsung 840 Evo Series MZ-7TE120BW 120GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD Single Unit Version $104.99
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB SATA 6GB/S 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM $72.12
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 200R Black Gaming Case ATX 3X5.25 4X3.5 Front USB3.0 Audio No PSU
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit $84.99
PSU: Antec HCG-520M 520W ATX12V Modular SINGLE-RAIL 40A 80PLUS Bronze 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply $84.99

Any impression on it?

computers are cheaper than ever :X

i bought a 1400 dollar laptop in 2007 that was pretty midrange. nowadays that gets the you the cream of the crop.

DarkFlow

Banned
So I've decided to transition my FM2+ HTPC to a gaming PC.

Previously:

AMD A4-4000 Dual Core APU
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2400Mhz
Asus A88XM-Plus FM2+
500w Corsair CX500
120GB Samsung 840 Evo
1TB Seagate HDD
Fractal Design Core 1000

Now:

AMD A10-7850K Quad Core APU
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2400Mhz
Asus A88XM-Plus FM2+
Sapphire Radeon 290X 4GB 'BF4 Edition'
750W Corsair RM750 w/Individually Sleeved Cables
120GB Samsung 840 Evo
1TB Seagate HDD
Corsair 350D
Corsair H100i
Corsair K30 Keyboard
Corsair M65 Mouse
Corsair Quiet Edition 120mm/140mm Fans
NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller
Dell U2414H Monitor

People will probably scoff at the 7850K, but I'm a SFF kind of guy and wanted a modern CPU/Mono combo and FM2+ seems to be the only way to go if you're an AMD guy. I'm sure real world performance will be good enough for what I need.

I would get a 780 for the price you're paying for the 290x at this point. It's almost $100 cheaper for about the same speed. Bitcoin mining needs to come in the decision right now for any 290 or 290x.

kennah

Any impression on it?

Yeah we get boned a lot on prices here in Canadia. What's your GPU budget? You just missed out on a sale at memory express for the 4gig 770 in 'reasonable' territory. I had that PSU, wasn't bad. And you're getting a decent price on that SSD. If you're wanting to go cheaper, Memex is having a sale on the $99 Sandisk 120gig this coming Saturday. I expect it to be 70-80.

DarkFlow

Banned
Lets do this!

You better be right GAF!

Why did he bother getting the K chip if he was just going to get a B85? While it's not hard swapping CPU's between boards, it's a bit of work. You need to clean all that paste off the chip and the fan, then reapply all that crap again.

kharma45

Any impression on it?

$732 for this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.79 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($83.31 @ DirectCanada)
Storage: Crucial M500 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.69 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.79 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $732.31
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-27 18:23 EST-0500)

Then I'd add in a Hyper 212 to overclock and whatever your budget is for your GPU.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Decided on moving off onboard sound since on this mobo it adds to my dpc latency. Anyone have a good dedicated pci sound card that isn't too pricey, 40-75$ is my range?

Saad

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=37&lng=en

Get that instead. And if you want to save a little cash drop down to a 760. But otherwise pretty solid build.

For OCing it's quite easy to do. It's a matter of entering the UEFI and changing the multiplier and the usually the voltage too. Then reboot, test and if it holds that's great! For the cooler you'd need the one in the SFF bit of the OP

RAM wise drop that Corsair stuff for this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na It's $72 after the discount code

SSD wise you can save money with the M500 too at $76 http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQ4F9ZA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 It's not quite as fast but it's still an SSD and will be perfectly quick for most people.

I'd grab the cheaper Gigabyte 770 too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

Worth noting too that 4GB is overkill at present on a 1080p screen and I would imagine you'll be looking to upgrade from the 770 before the 4GB of VRAM is relevant in most titles. Your call though!

Thank you for the input. Changed the 770 to 760 and got the AXP-100 cooler.
Total is $1285 and parts should arrive by Thursday. Exciting!

Exuro

Fractal Node 304 photos:
Small form factor doesn't have to be about compromise. Just have to think smart.
Great case. Used one for my parent's build. Make me think about getting my own whenever intel comes out with a worthy i7 920 upgrade so I can get rid of this antec 1200.

coughlanio

I would get a 780 for the price you're paying for the 290x at this point. It's almost $100 cheaper for about the same speed. Bitcoin mining needs to come in the decision right now for any 290 or 290x.

I got a brand new BF4 edition 290x for £350, which is £50 less than the average 780.

taoofjord

So the motherboard on my gaming desktop that I built in mid 2011 flat out died. I was wondering if it was my hard drive, as I have been getting hard drive failure messages for the past year (but as it's my gaming desktop, and I don't have anything particularly important on it, I decided to ignore it). The system hardlocked last week and when I turned it off then hit the power button again nothing happened. Now, no lights are showing up in the case. I thought it was the power supply but I took it to Best Buy and they said it's the motherboard (and they said the hard drive is fine).

Anyone thing it just went bad for whatever reason? I had a sizable accumulation of dust in the case, which possibly might have caused it to overheat or, maybe, since I get a TON of static electricity at my house (I get shocked pretty much every time I touch anything metal) I wonder if I damaged the motherboard by shocking the case. At the very least, I know I won't be keeping the PC on the carpet anymore. Anyone have any experience with static electricity damaging their hardware from touching the case?

Anyway, I was hoping to hold out till this Fall for, perhaps, one of the Steam Machines but since it died I don't think I can wait.

If you guys think I might as well just build a new PC from (mostly) scratch, then here's the info:

Your Current Specs
• Fractal Design Define R3 Mid Tower Case
• Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1TB SATA HDD
• GTX 570 1280MB
• Antec High Current HG-750 750W Power Supply
• i5-2500K 3.3GHz
• BIOSTAR TP67XE (B3) ATX Intel Motherboard
• G.SKILL 4GB DD3 SDRAM

Budget
Up to $1300, USA

Main Use
Hardcore Gaming only. I have use a macbook pro for all my productive stuff. I'm both interested in hooking this up to my HDTV (Sony KDL-55W900A) as well as going the 120hz route, but I'm not sure which one to build for. I can say for certain that being able to run games smoothly using the Oculus Rift is an absolute must. I'm also interested in keeping the case on the smaller end so it'll be somewhat out of the way/low-profile in the living room when it's hooked up to the TV (but this isn't a necessity of it limits the computer's power too much).

Monitor Resolution
Current monitor is Dell UltraSharp with a resolution of 1920x1200 but I may use my TV. Current and near future games must obviously be able to run smoothly and maxed out at 1920x1200.

Looking to reuse any parts?
Possibly my GTX 570 depending on feedback. If so, I'd upgrade my video card this fall.

When will you build?
I'd like to have it built and ready to go within 5-6 weeks, but I'm ready to go now.

Will you be overclocking
Maybe, but probably not. It scares me. :)

mkenyon

Banned
So the motherboard on my gaming desktop that I built in mid 2011 flat out died. I was wondering if it was my hard drive, as I have been getting hard drive failure messages for the past year (but as it's my gaming desktop, and I don't have anything particularly important on it, I decided to ignore it). The system hardlocked last week and when I turned it off then hit the power button again nothing happened. Now, no lights are showing up in the case. I thought it was the power supply but I took it to Best Buy and they said it's the motherboard (and they said the hard drive is fine).

Anyone thing it just went bad for whatever reason? I had a sizable accumulation of dust in the case, which possibly might have caused it to overheat or, maybe, since I get a TON of static electricity at my house (I get shocked pretty much every time I touch anything metal) I wonder if I damaged the motherboard by shocking the case. At the very least, I know I won't be keeping the PC on the carpet anymore. Anyone have any experience with static electricity damaging their hardware from touching the case?

Anyway, I was hoping to hold out till this Fall for, perhaps, one of the Steam Machines but since it died I don't think I can wait.

If you guys think I might as well just build a new PC from (mostly) scratch, then here's the info:

Your Current Specs
• GTX 570 1280MB
• i5-2500K 3.3GHz
• G.SKILL 4GB DD3 SDRAM

Budget
Up to $1300, USA

Main Use
Hardcore Gaming only. I have use a macbook pro for all my productive stuff. I'm both interested in hooking this up to my HDTV (Sony KDL-55W900A) as well as going the 120hz route, but I'm not sure which one to build for. I can say for certain that being able to run games smoothly using the Oculus Rift is an absolute must. I'm also interested in keeping the case on the smaller end so it'll be somewhat out of the way/low-profile in the living room when it's hooked up to the TV (but this isn't a necessity of it limits the computer's power too much).

Monitor Resolution
Current monitor is Dell UltraSharp with a resolution of 1920x1200 but I may use my TV. Current and near future games must obviously be able to run smoothly and maxed out at 1920x1200.

Possibly my GTX 570 depending on feedback. If so, I'd upgrade my video card this fall.

When will you build?
I'd like to have it built and ready to go within 5-6 weeks, but I'm ready to go now.

Will you be overclocking
Honestly, you could go super cheap on the "upgrade" and just get a Z77 motherboard. 2500Ks are still the bee's knees. Or even score a used Z68/Z77 for extra cheap.
Prices here are normal-ish now, in the US it's still not.
Us Americans apparently get the (virtual) gold rush fever bad.

coughlanio

Well that's good then. Most 290X are in the $600 range, while the 780 is in the low $500's. This is all in the states of course.

I'm in Ireland and buy most of my parts from the UK, but AMD cards seem to be cheaper here. 280x goes for a little over £200, whereas it goes for $400 in the US IIRC.

kharma45

Your Current Specs
• GTX 570 1280MB
• i5-2500K 3.3GHz
• G.SKILL 4GB DD3 SDRAM

Budget
Up to $1300, USA

Main Use

Monitor Resolution

When will you build?

Will you be overclocking

Good news is you can carry over your case, RAM, PSU, HDD (presuming it's working) and GPU if you wanted. Your 2500K is still a great CPU and if you wanted you could just buy a Z77 motherboard like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na and bolt on the Hyper 212 http://us.ncix.com/products/?usaffi...212P-G1&manufacture=COOLERMASTER&promoid=1347 and overclock the nuts off the 2500K. Unless you're emulating PS2 and Wii games a new CPU isn't going to do a whole lot mroe for you.

$130 total to get you back in the game. You could do with an SSD too and maybe another 4GB RAM.

Yeah keeping the PC on the carpet and getting it all dusty is not good, mobo could well have fried with a static charge by the sounds of it. Look into either buying some or making your own dust filters for the case. Creating positive pressure in the case will help too.

scogoth

Tom's is full of shit (mostly). The site and the forums.

Agreed. There news headlines is pretty decent because it aggregates a wide variety of topics but is always hours (or sometimes days) behind other sites.

I used to love their hardware reviews until I realized they were bad. Thanks GAF!

Lexxism

Yeah we get boned a lot on prices here in Canadia. What's your GPU budget? You just missed out on a sale at memory express for the 4gig 770 in 'reasonable' territory. I had that PSU, wasn't bad. And you're getting a decent price on that SSD. If you're wanting to go cheaper, Memex is having a sale on the $99 Sandisk 120gig this coming Saturday. I expect it to be 70-80.

Really? How much was it? I'm thinking of around $200. I don't know if that's enough to get a good GPU. Care to give a link for memex? Thanks

$732 for this

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.75 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.79 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $732.31
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-27 18:23 EST-0500)

Then I'd add in a Hyper 212 to overclock and whatever your budget is for your GPU.

I'm thinking of around $200 since initially I have a CA$900 budget for building this PC minus the monitor etc. I don't know if that's enough to get a GPU like GTX 760 or R9 270x.

I think it's out beginning of next month. It looks cool but I hate it uses a SFX PSU and that water cooling I bet is a bitch.

kharma45

I'm thinking of around $200 since initially I have a CA$900 budget for building this PC minus the monitor etc. I don't know if that's enough to get a GPU like GTX 760 or R9 270x.

Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB Video Card ($196.25 @ Vuugo)
Total: $928.56
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-27 18:56 EST-0500)

Not much OC potential on the CPU but that can be sorted down the line. Could get closer to $900 by going for a non-modular PSU.

Power Supply: Antec Neo Eco 620W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $913.76
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-27 18:59 EST-0500)

or

Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($38.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $902.75
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-27 18:59 EST-0500)

Lexxism

*snipped*

Wow. Thanks a lot. That's quite a lot of work to do(or maybe not). I thought building this spec is impossible for $900 since I always get mine to more than $1000.

I have a question. Do this site(pcpartpicker) automatically update the prices if it went down or up?

kharma45

Wow. Thanks a lot. That's quite a lot of work to do(or maybe not). I thought building this spec is impossible for $900 since I always get mine to more than $1000.

I have a question. Do this site(pcpartpicker) automatically update the prices if it went down or up?

It does yes.

DarkFlow

Banned

It does, but not taxes even though it says it does. Add another $90 depending on if your state charges online taxes.

scogoth

Can someone give me a breakdown of the difference between the sensor in the Glossy Frost Sensei Raw and the regular Sensei Raw? Why is a 12000dpi sensor and 5670dpi sensor the same cost.

In short mkenyon, does the 12000dpi sensor have a horrible flaw or something?

mkenyon

Banned
Get the Rival. /conversation

It's an optical sensor with zero interpolation or acceleration.

But to answer your question, TMK they both use the Avago 9500 sensor, but that spec sounds like the 9800, so maybe they upgraded it on the Frost edition.

scogoth

Get the Rival. /conversation

It's an optical sensor with zero interpolation or acceleration.

But to answer your question, TMK they both use the Avago 9500 sensor, but that spec sounds like the 9800, so maybe they upgraded it on the Frost edition.

kk thanks

edit: new? only pre order on NCIX

kennah

Really? How much was it? I'm thinking of around $200. I don't know if that's enough to get a good GPU. Care to give a link for memex? Thanks

You'll have a hard time finding a good gpu in Canada for $200. You might find a used 670 for that price.
I think it's out beginning of next month. It looks cool but I hate it uses a SFX PSU and that water cooling I bet is a bitch.
SFX psus are fine. Silverstone is even coming out with a 600W soon.
Sweet, thanks. Hopefully I can buy my new pc next month. Thank again for the help :D
Be careful with pcpartspicker in our country. Your best bet is to use the site for compatibility and finding parts, but then manually checking prices on shopbot and then taking advantage of ncix and memory express price matching policies.

Scum

Is the corsair air 540 a replacement fan for the H60? My H60 has a stock fan and won't go below 1050rpm no matter what I do with the bios or speed fan, and at idle it is a little annoying for noise.

Sorry for the late reply, but the Air 540 is the case.

ryoohki

I can vouch for those Korean IPS display. Got a Qnix in november. Slight light bleed on the bottom but i fixed it myself. Even the 1300 DELL one can have bleed so.

Once you gamed at 1440p, there's no going back. The problem right now is you need a 780 at minimum to play maxed out (without AA for some games, but it doesn't always makes a difference, depend on the game). Pretty sure next gen a 860TI or 870 will be able to play them at resolution... Current titles i mean

You'll have a hard time finding a good gpu in Canada for $200. You might find a used 670 for that price.

SFX psus are fine. Silverstone is even coming out with a 600W soon.

Be careful with pcpartspicker in our country. Your best bet is to use the site for compatibility and finding parts, but then manually checking prices on shopbot and then taking advantage of ncix and memory express price matching policies.

Yeah, Silverstone has some good SFX PSU's but all reviews from users say they are a little bit on the louder side than normal. That is my only issue with these, but understandable due to the size of the fan.

M3z_

Thinking about getting a h105 because my h100i had it's red LED die and now I can't get red or true white from the light. I would love to be able to control the color, but this is the 3rd h100i that has broken in some capacity for me. Had one where the pump died, had one where the usb cable thing snapped off inside the pump, and now one where the red led died. At least the h105 stick to white so I know it will be true white all the time.

natertots

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for some advice/help. I, totally new to the PC thing and have been a console gamer most of my life. I wanna plunge into PC gaming so all of this is new to me and I feel dumb looking at all the different parts. I'm going to have $1300-1400 max to spend. Can anyone help me with a build? I will be using it strictly for gaming. Any advice would be appreciated. I'd have to factor in a monitor as well. Thanks in advance.

Your Current Specs: none, building from scratch
Budget: $1300-1400 US
Main Use: 5 Gaming
Monitor Resolution: Buying new. Beat possible within build budget.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Looking to play newest games at best FPS possible
Looking to reuse any parts?: no
When will you build?: Within the next month
Will you be overclocking?: I'm new to this so I'm unsure.

Salacious Crumb

What is your guys thoughts on the nanoxia deep silence 1 case. I'm looking for a quiet sounding and looking budgetish case and it seems to fit that bill nicely. The obvious choice is the R4 but that costs $30 more. So I guess my question is is the R4 30 bucks better than the nanoxia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom