• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
just get a molex to PCIE power adapter.

This is bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad. Those connectors should be banned and banished off the face of this earth.

You have a connector that normally has two or three 18 AWG wires carrying 75W and you're sticking it onto a connector that has ONE 18 AWG wire carrying 75W. Plus the connector is also prone to arcing and fitting improperly because molex 8981 connectors are the biggest pieces of shit ever.

This should never ever ever ever ever ever be suggested.

kennah

Anyone? Obviously primary is SSD, this is just for storage

All hard drives are shitty now. Reds are designed for NAS so work better paired. Lots of people have had failures with Greens. But basically get whatever you want and behave as if your data was being deleted tomorrow (So buy two and back up)

any reason to go 760 4gb over 760 2gb ?

I would suggest the 4GB if you plan on keeping the card for a few years and/or want to try SLI down the road. Price is also important but I got my ASUS 770 4GB for only $20 more than the 2GB.

BF4 is already climbing over 2GB and I can only assume that newer, graphically intensive games will utilize more VRAM.

longdi

Banned
Thinking about getting a h105 because my h100i had it's red LED die and now I can't get red or true white from the light. I would love to be able to control the color, but this is the 3rd h100i that has broken in some capacity for me. Had one where the pump died, had one where the usb cable thing snapped off inside the pump, and now one where the red led died. At least the h105 stick to white so I know it will be true white all the time.

get swiftech h220. it is a beast of aio in performance and manufacturing.
if you are in the usa, a newer version: h220x will be coming in mar14. its thanks to asetek lawsuits, swiftech could not sell h220 in usa.

coughlanio

Will have a spare BF4 key in a couple of days from a GPU purchase, if someone has something they'd want to trade for it? Thief maybe? :p

Sullichin

hmm, not really sure about that reliability thing, seeing they're the ones that have the best average age:

but i can understand the speed argument. seeing seagate are not to be trusted, i guess i'll get a 2tb black and a 1tb blue then.

I have that 3TB Seagate that's on that list as well as a 1TB WD Black, no problems with either.

kharma45

might just go with the 4 gb version then I want to not have to upgrade for 3-4 years after i buy

In 3-4 years time I'd imagine it won't be VRAM that'll be the concern with a single 760 rather the actual raw performance of it.

I would suggest the 4GB if you plan on keeping the card for a few years and/or want to try SLI down the road. Price is also important but I got my ASUS 770 4GB for only $20 more than the 2GB.

BF4 is already climbing over 2GB and I can only assume that newer, graphically intensive games will utilize more VRAM.

BF3 did too, as does Crysis 3 but they all scale the game based on the amount of VRAM you have. It's why BF3 ran so well on 1GB cards. They just try to use up what you have.

I have that 3TB Seagate that's on that list as well as a 1TB WD Black, no problems with either.
I talked about this with a friend earlier. buying a hdd is like a Russian Roulette. you could buy a WD(known to be better) and have it die months later, or buy a seagate(known to be bad) and have it for years without a problem. i really dont know what to do. What i do know is that the WD blue i have here survived for 3,5 years, and still has 1 year left, and the seagate that started to fail worked for 2,5 years and only has 35 days left. Even though Seagate Barracudas are waaaay cheaper here than WD's, it seems i have no other option. not sure i want to take the risk.

Looking forward to my R9 270 arriving tomorrow - my first upgrade in 2-3 years, should make a nice difference as even then I bought a slow card as I wanted passively cooled... Maybe I'll get half decent frame rates on The Witcher 2 now? (hah).

I installed and activated a copy of windows 8 on my SSD which somehow crapped out a few days later. Will I still be able to use the same activation key for my Windows install on the new drive? Do I need to talk to Microsoft so they let me use it again? I'm using the same motherboard and everything. Just wondering what I'm in for when I setup my computer again.

Has anybody here bought the DIY GSync Module? My old Dell monitor is starting to die (a pink line on the left side and a few dead areas starting to show) and I am looking to replace it. I was thinking about going with an Asus one and grabbing the Gsync Module. Any ideas or comments?

jonno394

Hey, anyone offer me some advice using SCAN? Ordered at 11am this morning with next day by 12pm. My order has been accepted, my payment confirmed but it still hasn't picked let alone shipped?

Have I been screwed over? I've arranged for someone to be at mine tomorrow to sign for the goods but If they havent shipped im wasting their time and I cant get anyone else in for thursday :/

Addnan

Hey, anyone offer me some advice using SCAN? Ordered at 11am this morning with next day by 12pm. My order has been accepted, my payment confirmed but it still hasn't picked let alone shipped?

Have I been screwed over? I've arranged for someone to be at mine tomorrow to sign for the goods but If they havent shipped im wasting their time and I cant get anyone else in for thursday :/
I've had dispatch from them at 9.30pm for next day by 12 so not all lost yet.

jonno394

I've had dispatch from them at 9.30pm for next day by 12 so not all lost yet.

My scan delivery has been delayed due to order volume issues. I'm rather annoyed about this :( delaying it until Saturday delivery just gives them another chance to let me down so good knows what to do now.

I installed and activated a copy of windows 8 on my SSD which somehow crapped out a few days later. Will I still be able to use the same activation key for my Windows install on the new drive? Do I need to talk to Microsoft so they let me use it again? I'm using the same motherboard and everything. Just wondering what I'm in for when I setup my computer again.

You should be fine reusing the key. If not, the process to call Microsoft is painless (or at least was when I used it last a few years ago).

Has anyone had a phishing email to their scan-registered email address? I only use scan@<mydomain> with them, and had a phish earlier today, grr...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

pretty sure it's tied to a mother board so youre okay.

mkenyon

Banned
Has anybody here bought the DIY GSync Module? My old Dell monitor is starting to die (a pink line on the left side and a few dead areas starting to show) and I am looking to replace it. I was thinking about going with an Asus one and grabbing the Gsync Module. Any ideas or comments?
Helped a friend install one. It's famazing. ULMB in particular is absolutely incredible, and much more impressive to me than the variable refresh rate.

Jordoon

Ok so I think I'm going with this and this. My CPU takes a 4-pin connector, my motherboard takes a 20-pin connector and I have 1 CD/DVD RW drive and one HDD. Will that PSU come with the right connectors that I need?

Also, that GPU says it needs 30A on the 12V rail and that PSU only supplies 22A. Will it work?

PC Builde Gaf
I took my first step into making my custom PC. I just bought
Intel Core i7 QuadCore i74770K 35 GHz Desktop Processor Socket H3 LGA1150 for $230 since its a deal

Now I'm looking around that this CPU is mostly water cooling (i guess for over clocking). Being a noob.
Should I avoid water cooling?
Or buy a compatible fan? Recommendations for this CPU

Lexxism

Anyone can recommend a monitor for a GTX 760/AMD R9 270 or higher? Also, this is probably a stupid question. What's the max GPU I can use for i5 4670K?

kennah

Anyone can recommend a monitor for a GTX 760/AMD R9 270 or higher? Also, this is probably a stupid question. What's the max GPU I can use for i5 4670K?

Any monitor that suits your fancy and any GPU will work with an i5 and not bottle neck it.

Monitors are a very personal preference. Go to an actual store and take a look at a few.

It would also help us if you let us know if you were wanting something that was 120Hz, or 1440P, or you just want a nice 60hz 1080P monitor.

Also there are recommendations for some monitors in the OP.

Anyone? Obviously primary is SSD, this is just for storage

I have a Seagate HDD in my laptop which is a replacement for a failed toshiba and a Seagate HDD on my desktop for data. So far so good after having them for about a year*knocks on wood*. Mechanical hard drives in general aren't the most reliable. You'll find people that have had bad luck with certain manufacturers, but that doesn't mean you'll have the same experience. There's people that have had problems with Western Digital as well. Just go with whatever you can afford and make sure you back up.

AJLma

I just swapped my ASRock 990FX Extreme3 FX-6350 with a Biostar Tz77A i7 without uninstalling/reinstalling Windows. It booted right up with no problems. This is Windows 8.1 which I had already heard was very friendly with motherboard upgrades.

Did a quick Windows Update, now I'm installing a few drivers.

I did so much research into whether or not I would have to reinstall that I was paranoid going into it, but it turned out fine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
@BladeSinner pick a case first, then work from there.
Most wattage draw comes from voltage so I'd still go for a K CPU, overclock AND undervolt it.
A lot of HyperX memory is 1.65V, make sure to get 1.35V or 1.5V
GPU get a Gigabyte/ASUS custom one

Cooling and GPU depend on your case and how sensitive you are to pump noise.

Yup. For not that much more you can get a BP550 though: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

and the 270x / 760 are a nice bump up from a 660 for $50.

See the NEWS section in the bottom of the OP.

isn't the GPU going to be such an overwhelming proportion of the power usage that tweaking tiny things here and there are pretty pointless?

A SFF build that is flight hand luggage friendly would be an interesting thing to do though. Silverstone RvZ01?

Lexxism

Any monitor that suits your fancy and any GPU will work with an i5 and not bottle neck it.

Monitors are a very personal preference. Go to an actual store and take a look at a few.

It would also help us if you let us know if you were wanting something that was 120Hz, or 1440P, or you just want a nice 60hz 1080P monitor.

Also there are recommendations for some monitors in the OP.

Oh, sorry I forgot to mention those. I'm perfectly fine for like 23" 60Hz 1080p monitor.

I just picked up a Dell U2414H, seems like an excellent 24"/1080p monitor.

Ah, thanks I'll look at it.

DarkFlow

Banned
Seriously ?

Advising people to buy $380 gpu to use with trash TN display for 160$ ?

GPU will be outdated in 2-3 years anyway while good display will stay for 5-6 years.

It would be much better to downgrade gpu to gtx 760 and choose one of $300 mva/ips displays or 120Hz 24" tn

He has a budget, I said it was a start, not what to get. Untangle your panties.

Big Chungus

Accidently picked 1.65v ram instead of 1.3/1.5v listed for the bitfenix prodigy build in the OP.

I hav eno idea what the difference in voltage does to the system...will I be fine?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Accidently picked 1.65v ram instead of 1.3/1.5v listed for the bitfenix prodigy build in the OP.

I hav eno idea what the difference in voltage does to the system...will I be fine?

haswell prefers 1.5 or lower i think. anything higher voids the warranty (edit: actually maybe not, i just read conflicting info). ive read that under clocking the ram should fix the problem though but im not sure what the side effects are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom