• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonno394

I've had dispatch from them at 9.30pm for next day by 12 so not all lost yet.

My scan delivery has been delayed due to order volume issues. I'm rather annoyed about this :( delaying it until Saturday delivery just gives them another chance to let me down so good knows what to do now

DarkFlow

Banned
Accidently picked 1.65v ram instead of 1.3/1.5v listed for the bitfenix prodigy build in the OP.

I hav eno idea what the difference in voltage does to the system...will I be fine?

You're fine, it's just not high quality ram is all since it needs more juice to get the same speed as 1.5V ram.

Big Chungus

hmm, i havent opened the package yet, would it be worth just returning the memory to the online retailer (will have to pay shipping) or is the speed difference not that big of a deal?

Asiriya

Neo Member
Neither.

Powerline adapters for me.

Do you have any recommendations? I was going to get a pair of TP-links for ~£30 but reviews seem mixed and I don't think the ones I was looking at had gigabit connections. I've heard the signal attenuates quite quickly anyway, so are they even worth it?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
hmm, i havent opened the package yet, would it be worth just returning the memory to the online retailer (will have to pay shipping) or is the speed difference not that big of a deal?

i would return it just so that i wouldn't have to worry with bios settings and in case you wont to overclock your cpu, but then again im no computer buff :X

riflen

Could you link a couple please. A friend is building a rig and I want to show him.

I'd say look at Devolo. I'm very pleased with mine; they get their full 200Mbps capability and ping under 5ms to other hosts on my lan.

Unfortunately, no-one can tell you if your home's wiring is good enough to support a decent signal. If you do pick up some, make sure they have a pass-through power socket on them. If you're using a dual wall socket, don't put anything into the other socket, as this will affect the quality of the signal.

mkenyon

Banned
i put 2133mhz 1.6 v g.skill sniper along with my 4770k. should i downclock it?
Did you set it at those settings? RAM doesn't automatically work at the speeds listed on the package. It's simply listing what they were able to clock it at in their test systems.
It's not noticeable at all.
Do you have any recommendations? I was going to get a pair of TP-links for ~£30 but reviews seem mixed and I don't think the ones I was looking at had gigabit connections. I've heard the signal attenuates quite quickly anyway, so are they even worth it?
I have two pairs of these, work as advertised.

thespot84

Did you set it at those settings? RAM doesn't automatically work at the speeds listed on the package. It's simply listing what they were able to clock it at in their test systems.

i did, figured faster = better. Will underclocking also make the CPU more stable? not happy with my 4770k as it is so far. (4.3 ghz @ 1.21 volts boots but won't survive prime95)

mkenyon

Banned
i did, figured faster = better. Will underclocking also make the CPU more stable? not happy with my 4770k as it is so far. (4.3 ghz @ 1.21 volts boots but won't survive prime95)
The memory could have something to do with it, depending on which test you're using in P95. Small FFT = Proc only, Blend = Memory and Proc.

kharma45

Yeah as mkenyon said TP Link ones are good. 200 meg ones are around £18 and 500 meg £25.

I've the older style 200 meg ones and they're great. I've... five I think in total. Do a great job.

DarkFlow

Banned

It just sucks more power, so if you want to be a little more energy efficient, go for it.

thespot84

I have two pairs of these, work as advertised.

The memory could have something to do with it, depending on which test you're using in P95. Small FFT = Proc only, Blend = Memory and Proc.

well unfortunately it was just small fft. nothing i do lasts more than 90s or so. temps are great though, which is odd (max 85 ish in p95, doesn't get above 45 playing bf4)

mkenyon

Banned
Are you sure your voltage is at 1.21 in the OS? Might need to fiddle with load line calibration. If it's looking pretty on target, then you may have just rolled poorly on the silicon lottery.

thespot84

Are you sure your voltage is at 1.21 in the OS? Might need to fiddle with load line calibration. If it's looking pretty on target, then you may have just rolled poorly on the silicon lottery.

Load line? we're beyond my expertise now, unfortunately, Here's HWinfo on the current 43x 1.2188v setup:
P1N0RT3.png

ediT: should have been 43 not 45

mkenyon

Banned
Load line? we're beyond my expertise now, unfortunately, Here's HWinfo on the current 43x 1.2188v setup:

ediT: should have been 43 not 45
Yeah, looks like you probably need to step back a bit on the multiplier. Try setting the RAM to default values (XMP Profile) first though.

Not really about computer hardware, but I finally received my ambient lighting set for my monitor. It's gimmicky as hell and I don't believe their scientific proof that it's good for the eyes, but it's cool when it works and a much better alternative than f.lux. Unfortunately it does NOT play well with MadVR (which I use with 99% of my media), so fuck....

Looks like SmoothVideo Project has a fix, but don't have time to play with it right now.

If you do anything that is very processor heavy, such as encoding video, folding, mining, and things of that nature, it'll likely crash. That's about the only downside.

Knock it down to 42x and see. If it runs Prime stable at that I'd be happy.

What? Knock Uncore multiplier down to 35x and it'll probably work fine. Give it a bit of extra voltage (1.25V is fine if you're running air) if it's still not stable with uncore at 35x.

I have a stupid question. What is the safe way to do light, maintenance dusting for my PC? Google mainly gives me links on deep cleaning. I have a HAF 922 case and the ventilation's great, but I think I should be dusting this thing at least monthly.

Can I just turn off the PC and dust away after an hour cooldown? Or do I need to first turn off the rear PSU switch and/or detach the PSU power cord? I wouldn't think I need to detach all my ethernet and USB peripherals.

I'll of course do regular deep cleaning, but less frequently.

So it's okay to leave the PSU rear switch alone and power cord attached? Google tells me to detach it first, but I can't find a good reason why.

AJLma

Those cans sometimes spray a liquid, not enough to really worry about, but I'd still have everything unplugged while doing it.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Should be able to use canned air. May want to turn power off, but I don't think you need to cut off power on the PSU. If you have a really messy setup with wires/fans in your case, you probably should keep the case open as you power it on to make sure all of the fans work. If you surgically organized all of your cables you probably don't need to worry.

I periodically just blast dust on case fans at work because we have a lot of software build/test machines in ordinary cubicle areas. Gets dusty fast. I should probably invest in a vacuum.

If your PSU is pulling air from the bottom of the case, be sure to clean that. Those get dusty fast.

Have specs been released for Titanfall yet? I am not really getting clear results from Google. I plan on upgrading my computer so I can play Titanfall when it releases. : )

mkenyon

Banned
1.25v kicked me up 88-93 ish however i've now passed 5 minutes in p95. already went through one h100i so I know this one works, but this chip is just hot as hell
Got damn that is toasty. Still below TJMax, and you're not going to have those kinds of temps in games.
Have specs been released for Titanfall yet? I am not really getting clear results from Google. I plan on upgrading my computer so I can play Titanfall when it releases. : )
No, but I can give you a good idea of what should run it at 120fps.

It being source, and multiplayer, it's going to love some speedy cores. Intel 2500K/3570k/4670k will do the trick there. The GPU portion is a bit of a question mark, though I'd imagine the 760 will be able to do it.

thespot84

Got damn that is toasty. Still below TJMax, and you're not going to have those kinds of temps in games.

i'm up to 11 min now. doing a burn in for hours at those temps is a little sketchy no? should I just be happy with what i have?

EDIT: LOL nm it crapped out at 15 min. Gonna try 42x and 1.24 now and see where it gets me.

mkenyon

Banned
i'm up to 11 min now. doing a burn in for hours at those temps is a little sketchy no? should I just be happy with what i have?
Nah, it's fine. I'd say depending on your comfort level, let it go an hour. Ultimately, I like to let it run for 24 hours to make sure it's rock solid as I have my PC do a bit more than just play games, but that's up to you.

PCgaf, lend me your godly expertise.

So I just got accepted to receive a Best Buy credit card with a limit of $1300.

I plan on purchasing a good gaming PC. I'm probably one of the clumsiest people in the world, so i have always been terrified to build my own.

What I would like to know is, has anyone bought a gaming pc from a retailer such as Best Buy? Any good builds you may recommend? If so, are they difficult to upgrade?

kennah

Don't do it. Best Buy stuff is overpriced and you'll be paying a ridiculous interest rate. Cancel the card. Save up money. Build later.

Cliff notes for Haswell. In order:

1) Set uncore (aka processor cache) multiplier to default (34x for 4670K, 35x for 4770K) and run VRING at default voltages
2) Set 43x and 1.2VCore
3) Ensure CPU VRIN (different from VRING) is at least half a volt above VCore (not VID)
4) Test, increase voltage if unstable
5a) If stable increase multiplier 1x
5b) If you can't stay stable and you're getting close to thermal limits head down a multiplier and voltage where you were last stable and we're done
6) Go to Step 4

thespot84

Cliff notes for Haswell. In order:

1) Set uncore (aka processor cache) multiplier to default (34x for 4670K, 35x for 4770K) and run VRING at default voltages
2) Set 43x and 1.2VCore
3) Ensure CPU VRIN (different from VRING) is at least half a volt above VCore (not VID)
4) Test, increase voltage if unstable
5a) If stable increase multiplier 1x
5b) If you can't stay stable and you're getting close to thermal limits head down a multiplier and we're done
6) Go to Step 4

does step 4 involve hours long p95 burn ins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom