• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

Hey guys I was on eBay looking for an alternative GPU to use until May since that's when I'll get my 760 and came across this Nvidia 9800 GTX currently going for $19
should I bid on it? And what should be the highest I bid?
What CPU? You might be fine with whatever onboard it has.
I'm thinking about maybe upgrading my GTX 480 to a GTX 760, but I'm curious if I will see much improvement or have any kind of bottlenecking based on my other parts. It's an i5-2500k with 8 GB RAM, and I'm trying to avoid overclocking anything.

Do you guys who know better about these things think it'll be worth it?
You're doing your CPU a disservice by not overclocking it. It was designed for it. A 760 would be a decent improvement over a 480
I am really quite confused. A graphics card i'm searching says that it needs a 400w psu but there are people online on different forums saying a 220w psu would be enough. (I have a 220w psu). Do these companies usually set the psu limit higher than needed?

That Graphics card doesn't require any external power connectors, so depending on what CPU you have, a 220W might be enough, depending on if it is a good 220W unit or not. Yes companies over rate what PSU is needed because there are a lot of shitty psus out there that list their rated power at way higher than what they actually deliver. A good PSU will report the Wattage of the 12Volt Rail, a bad PSU will add together the 3.3V, 5V and 12V then report that number.

You're doing your CPU a disservice by not overclocking it. It was designed for it. A 760 would be a decent improvement over a 480

I'm just worried about heat mostly, I only have the standard 2-3 case fans and no special cooling. GTX 480s are known to run hot though from what I hear, so maybe it'll be better with a 760 and I'll feel more comfortable with it.

FLAguy954

I am really quite confused. A graphics card i'm searching says that it needs a 400w psu but there are people online on different forums saying a 220w psu would be enough. (I have a 220w psu). Do these companies usually set the psu limit higher than needed?

I would recommend a 280w PSU for the 7750 (I bought one for my little sister and she has a 280w PSU). You won't be able to overclock the memory though (although a core overclock is okay as long as you don't max it out) as that will guarantee a blue screen.

Furthermore, I recommend you get this 7750 instead: Asus GDDR5 Radeon 7750

It's cheaper, has a better cooler and comes with a $15 rebate.

FLAguy954

If you live near a Micro Center they are having a massive sale on computer parts, especially on the CPU side (I believe the sale lasts until February 8): Download a PDF of the catalog here

Some examples: i7-4770K for $250, i5-4650K for $180 (they have the same price for the Ivy Bridge equivalents as well)

I snagged me an A10-7850K for the appropriate price $135 in-store! #feelsgoodmane

DarkFlow

Banned
If you live near a Micro Center they are having a massive sale on computer parts, especially on the CPU side (I believe the sale lasts until February 8): Download a PDF of the catalog here

Some examples: i7-4770K for $250, i5-4650K for $180 (they have the same price for the Ivy Bridge equivalents as well)

I snagged me an A10-7850K for the appropriate price $135 in-store! #feelsgoodmane
Would any place price match this? I'm almost debating driving from San Diego to OC for this lol.

Mozendo

Hey guys I have a problem
So I have a Corsair 200r and a friend linked me to Linus' video about it and he said something about a potential part of the case frying the MoBo.

I opened up my case, but I don't know what he's talking about at all.
Can anyone help me out here?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

as a canadian i am hella jealous.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So a friend of mine just sold his old tower off but had kept a few pieces the buyer didn't want. He's offering me a Corsair H60 for absolutely nothing and yet I feel apprehensive about taking him up on it. How's water cooling these days? I'm sure it'd be better than my stock intel fan but I don't want to up the maintenance on my rig too much. What kind of additional work would I be looking at to keep the water cooler tip-top?

knitoe

So a friend of mine just sold his old tower off but had kept a few pieces the buyer didn't want. He's offering me a Corsair H60 for absolutely nothing and yet I feel apprehensive about taking him up on it. How's water cooling these days? I'm sure it'd be better than my stock intel fan but I don't want to up the maintenance on my rig too much. What kind of additional work would I be looking at to keep the water cooler tip-top?

There is no maintenance with a close loop water cooler, like the H60. Install and forget. Only problem is if they leak. And, it should be much better than a stock cooler.

That Graphics card doesn't require any external power connectors, so depending on what CPU you have, a 220W might be enough, depending on if it is a good 220W unit or not. Yes companies over rate what PSU is needed because there are a lot of shitty psus out there that list their rated power at way higher than what they actually deliver. A good PSU will report the Wattage of the 12Volt Rail, a bad PSU will add together the 3.3V, 5V and 12V then report that number.
Hmm, i'll think i'll take my chances with my current PSU and hope for the best.

I would recommend a 280w PSU for the 7750 (I bought one for my little sister and she has a 280w PSU). You won't be able to overclock the memory though (although a core overclock is okay as long as you don't max it out) as that will guarantee a blue screen.

Furthermore, I recommend you get this 7750 instead: Asus GDDR5 Radeon 7750

It's cheaper, has a better cooler and comes with a $15 rebate.
Unfortunately i can only use a low-profile card :/

Alright guys, I don't know shit about monitors so (if this is the right place) help me out.

I need a monitor for both my PS3 and for my MacBook Air (I'll use HDMI for both). I want something big because this will also be in place of a TV (I live in a small place). If you know of a good TV though I'll check it out.
I probably need like a 27" or a 32" and it would help if Amazon has it because I have gift cards.

What's the go to monitor for my needs, according to NeoGaf? I'll probably spend no more than $300 if I don't have to.

Big Chungus

Just got my motherboard from NCIX and it looks like someone over there took the motherboard out of the box then placed it back incorrectly. There are crease marks on the box and bulging, making me worried that they jut forced it closed...possibly damaging the motherboard?

Some pics:

This is what it looks like from the outside:
http://imgur.com/kShILWK

How the motherboard came packaged:
http://imgur.com/eKXOBC0
http://imgur.com/RQfLulE

Crease marks from force:
http://imgur.com/6xwDY0i

How it should have been packaged (I closed the box and it didn't apply any force)
http://imgur.com/4NdeWHB

Should I ask them to send me a new one?

Will I they even consider it?!

DarkFlow

Banned
Just got my motherboard from NCIX and it looks like someone over there took the motherboard out of the box then placed it back incorrectly. There are crease marks on the box and bulging, making me worried that they jut forced it closed...possibly damaging the motherboard?

Some pics:

This is what it looks like from the outside:
http://imgur.com/kShILWK

How the motherboard came packaged:
http://imgur.com/eKXOBC0
http://imgur.com/RQfLulE

Crease marks from force:
http://imgur.com/6xwDY0i

How it should have been packaged (I closed the box and it didn't apply any force)
http://imgur.com/4NdeWHB

Should I ask them to send me a new one?

Will I they even consider it?!

Looks fine to me, I would try using it before bitching about the box.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm not "bitching" about the box, just the fact that they closed it with force...couldn't that damage the board in some way?

Most likely not, they are pretty tough. Again, just plug it in and give it a go. I've gotten motherboards that don't even come in a box, just the Static wrap.

Returners

Wondering about what the difference between Asus VN247H-B and VN247H-P monitors are?

Can't seem to find anything about their differences.

what are you guys opinion on speedstep? used it for a while. but now that i'm using W8, i noticed that if i change my energy plan do high performance, it disables speedstep. had to change the minimum processor state to 0 so it would work and underclock the CPU automatically to 1,6Ghz.
6D6fd.png

So... what's your opinion? not really a useful feature, or i should have it enabled?

knitoe

gotta pick one or the other............ physx is a proprietary nvidia technology, while tress FX belongs to amd ;p

AMD developed TressFX, but you can run it on Nvidia cards. So, if you want both, get a Nvidia card. Now, AMD Mantle API is proprietary and requires a AMD card.

DarkFlow

Banned
The only friends I have that actually play games are on X1 so I can't do that haha.

Great game. Skyward sword on the other hand....

Can I use a TV as a monitor to save a little money right now?

But just think, if you can get $400 or more for that X1, you could easily build a rig that does 1080P 60FPS and even get a monitor! You'll make new friends in the master race anyway.

KniL

Hmm

The FXs looks very well in this nextgen multi-core intensive game

Is this the trend of future PC games?

Where's the i3's singlecore high IPC performace here?

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Battlefield_4-test-bf4_proz_2.jpg

Source

TheD

The Detective
Hmm

The FXs looks very well in this nextgen multi-core intensive game

Is this the trend of future PC games?

Where's the i3's singlecore high IPC performace here?

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Battlefield_4-test-bf4_proz_2.jpg

Source

That benchmark only has a Sandy Bridge i3 and a Westmere i3, not the much faster Haswell i3.

Pollux

But just think, if you can get $400 or more for that X1, you could easily build a rig that does 1080P 60FPS and even get a monitor! You'll make new friends in the master race anyway.
Haha I haven't decided to quit console gaming just yet. However, y'all have convinced me to do the $580 build since it sounds like that's a good first time build. I don't want to sink too much into this just in case PC gaming isn't for me. Im very optimistic.

Can I use my tv as a temporary monitor if I have to? It's 27 inches, LG

Can I use my tv as a temporary monitor if I have to? It's 27 inches, LG
Yup. I've got my rig hooked up to a 32 inch Spectre TV and an older refurb hooked up to a 40 inch Magnavox. They work fine, although text size is an issue on the 40 inch, since it's used at normal or greater sitting distance. If you're couch gaming, you'll probably want to use Big Picture Mode if you ever install Steam.

Pollux

Yup. I've got my rig hooked up to a 32 inch Spectre TV and an older refurb hooked up to a 40 inch Magnavox. They work fine, although text size is an issue on the 40 inch, since it's used at normal or greater sitting distance. If you're couch gaming, you'll probably want to use Big Picture Mode if you ever install Steam.
Awesome. Thank you!

Now time to pick out parts. Aiming to start buying around mid-February.

Saad

So I just assembled the parts but when I power on the pc the fans turn on for a second then the whole thing shuts down then starts up after few seconds and the process repeated until I unplugged it. What could be the issue?

kennah

So I just assembled the parts but when I power on the pc the fans turn on for a second then the whole thing shuts down then starts up after few seconds and the process repeated until I unplugged it. What could be the issue?
Can you give a full list of parts? Have you tried a bare bones boot? (Just cpu ram and video card). There are also some troubleshooting tips in the op

Saad

Can you give a full list of parts? Have you tried a bare bones boot? (Just cpu ram and video card). There are also some troubleshooting tips in the op

CPU: i5 4670k
Mobo: GA Z87N WIFI
GPU: GTX 760
CPU Cooler: Thermalright ATX-100
RAM: 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance
Case: EVGA Hadron Air
Hard Drives: 120 GB M500 + 1TB Caviar Blue

No, I didn't do it.

Jeremy

Does anyone know what I can and can not upgrade on my laptop? I have a Sager NP8170.

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: Intel i7-2760QM (2.4 GHz) CPU / 16GB RAM / PH170HM(???) / AMD Radeon HD 6900M / 750GB

I would like to upgrade the CPU or GPU (possibly the hard drive which should be easy) but don't know where to start. Do they even sell these parts to anyone other than places similar to XoticPC?

kennah

Pull out the video card. Reseat everything else. Make sure that the motherboard power plugs (24 pin and 8 pin) are snug. Unplug your har drive and SSD and see if you can get it to boot with the onboard video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom