• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFlow

Banned
If I plan to only game in 1080p, would a 780 be overkill?

I've been thinking about building a new PC with my tax return, but wouldn't necessarily buy a new monitor right away (max resolution on my monitor is 1920x1080).

Yeah, but if you can afford it, go for it.

kharma45

If I plan to only game in 1080p, would a 780 be overkill?

I've been thinking about building a new PC with my tax return, but wouldn't necessarily buy a new monitor right away (max resolution on my monitor is 1920x1080).

yes and no, which doesn't really help you. If you can afford it go for it. It'll have lots of legs and for games that don't trouble it now at 1080p you could downsample them for even better IQ. It would also be great if you're using a 120/144Hz monitor.

mkenyon

Banned
here are some benchmarks from recent games

Honestly looking like it's starting to be bottlenecked imo i would be looking to swap out.
Those are also woefully inadequate FPS measurements. CPU performance isn't all about FPS, it's just as much about smooth gameplay. Those kinds of metrics gloss over that information.

The ACIV test kind of captures it a bit. The i5 760 has a higher min framerate than the 8350. That's most likely due to a number of >50ms frames where the processor totally hitches.

Pachimari

Link to laptop thread is in the OP. There's not a lot of cross-knowledge between desktops and laptops, unfortunately.

Solid. Depending on what prices currently are, I'd suggest going with that Seasonic G series 650W in the OP to save a bit of money. Or even the 550W.

Will it have any downsides if I choose the 550w one compared to the one I originally chose?

Also, wait, people are saying one shouldn't go for the GTX 770? Can't I play games like Crysis, Mirror's Edge with PhysX, Rust and all those PC games on high settings in 1080p with my setup?

HoosTrax

I want to throw a fit every time someone says "______ GPU is overkill for 1080p". Speaking as someone with a monitor capable of 120Hz/144hz. As if 60fps is somehow standard.

kharma45

Will it have any downsides if I choose the 550w one compared to the one I originally chose?

Also, wait, people are saying one shouldn't go for the GTX 770? Can't I play games like Crysis, Mirror's Edge with PhysX, Rust and all those PC games on high settings in 1080p with my setup?

With a single GPU no there is no downsides. For SLI though I'd want 750w just to be on the safe side although that 700w could probably do it.

Who is saying don't get a 770 to you?

I want to throw a fit every time someone says "______ GPU is overkill for 1080p". Speaking as someone with a monitor capable of 120Hz/144hz. As if 60fps is somehow standard.

I am not sure what you mean, 60fps is quite standard. If you do have a 120Hz/144Hz screen I am going to assume people know they will not have a GPU that is overkill.

mkenyon

Banned
I am not sure what you mean, 60fps is quite standard. If you do have a 120Hz/144Hz screen I am going to assume people know they will not have a GPU that is overkill.
yi8ifch.png

Preach.

Even beyond that though, there's a ton of benefits to running games beyond 60fps even when you have a 60Hz monitor.

There's a level of dissonance on GAF. You have the kids and college kids
yeah okay, adults, but I went to college and adult is not the word I'd use to describe most of my peers and myself
where a $500 video card is stupid expensive. You have young adults where it's still expensive, but this is their hobby and they don't really care. Then you have a variety of adults in different socioeconomic situations, many of which wouldn't bat an eye at a $500 GPU, or many where it's just not a sensible purchase.

Giving solid advice while taking the above into consideration can be tough.

The 780 is a fucking rockin' card though, and people who have the means to buy one should.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
This can be tough, since you want low wattage. This is what I've made, I'm sure others could do better, since I have no idea what Video card is low wattage.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2IXnc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2IXnc/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2IXnc/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570S 2.9GHz Quad-Core Processor ($195.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($74.28 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Dell)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Video Card ($389.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Node 605 HTPC Case ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 400W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($112.14 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1372.34
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-28 04:25 EST-0500)

Thanks for the help!

The biggest issue I am having is really figuring out which GFX card has lower voltage/power consumption, but better performance...This build is similar to what has been suggested, but I made a few changes...do you think this system will work for its intended uses?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bladesinner/saved/3Bch

CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 V3 3.3GHz Quad-Core $244.30
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM $69.97
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 $124.99
Memory Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 $144.99
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD $169.98
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB $499.99
Case Lian-Li PC-TU100B Mini ITX Tower $103.98
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W ATX12V / EPS12V $139.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98

Total: $1588.17

Thanks!

DarkFlow

Banned
Thanks for the help!

The biggest issue I am having is really figuring out which GFX card has lower voltage/power consumption, but better performance...This build is similar to what has been suggested, but I made a few changes...do you think this system will work for its intended uses?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bladesinner/saved/3Bch

CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L12 37.8 CFM $69.97
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 $124.99
Case Lian-Li PC-TU100B Mini ITX Tower $103.98
Power Supply SeaSonic 520W ATX12V / EPS12V $139.99
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.98

Total: $1588.17

Thanks!

That looks good, but again I'm not very good with low wattage lol. I do know you should get a 80+ Platinum Certified PSU because that means it's going to not waste much power.

Edit: also if you need windows. http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap/ You can get a key for like $20 there.

yi8ifch.png

Preach.

Even beyond that though, there's a ton of benefits to running games beyond 60fps even when you have a 60Hz monitor.

yeah okay, adults, but I went to college and adult is not the word I'd use to describe most of my peers and myself
where a $500 video card is stupid expensive. You have young adults where it's still expensive, but this is their hobby and they don't really care. Then you have a variety of adults in different socioeconomic situations, many of which wouldn't bat an eye at a $500 GPU, or many where it's just not a sensible purchase.

The 780 is a fucking rockin' card though, and people who have the means to buy one should.

VJ0TRao.gif

Yeah, I'm in agreement. In my situation it's build a new PC now or wait probably another year or so. I'll be giving my current PC to my wife and building a new one, so deciding between a 770 w/4gbs of ram or a 780 w/3 had me wondering which was better for the long run. I regret buying a PS4 and Xbone as I haven't even used either in 3 weeks or so. I should have waited. I decided to pick up a GTX 780 and hope that the 3Gbs of video-ram won't be an issue for at least another 2 years or so.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
That looks good, but again I'm not very good with low wattage lol. I do know you should get a 80+ Platinum Certified PSU because that means it's going to not waste much power.

Edit: also if you need windows. http://www.reddit.com/r/softwareswap/ You can get a key for like $20 there.

Awesome link!!! Thanks so much for sharing that with me!

I'm so tempted to pull the trigger right now....since I will only be picking the hardware up the last week of March, is there any sense in waiting? I was on the fence about the 780, simply because of Mantle support (lack thereof), but the extra cost associated with GCN cards thanks to dogecoin have sort of left a bad taste in my mouth....do you think the prices will go down, or should I just stick with the 780?

It won't be.
Mahalo.

So I went ahead and bought the GTX 780 and will be buying more parts again in a few weeks. That said, how could I shave this down a bit enough to buy an SSD(120 GB)?

My only thing is that I have a spare GTX 460 I like to throw in their for 4 monitor support which is having my stream and other monitoring software open(offloading any kind of stress on the new 780) and also room for a Live Gamer HD capture card. I currently already have a 2Tb drive I'll be taking from my current build. Ideally I'd like to keep it at it's current price of $850 (+/- $20) but add in an SSD. Suggestions?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2KwwK

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $844.45

DarkFlow

Banned
Mahalo.

So I went ahead and bought the GTX 780 and will be buying more parts again in a few weeks. That said, how could I shave this down a bit enough to buy an SSD(120 GB)?

My only thing is that I have a spare GTX 460 I like to throw in their for 4 monitor support which is having my stream and other monitoring software open(offloading any kind of stress on the new 780) and also room for a Live Gamer HD capture card. I currently already have a 2Tb drive I'll be taking from my current build. Ideally I'd like to keep it at it's current price of $850 (+/- $20) but add in an SSD. Suggestions?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2KwwK

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Desktop Case ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $844.45
If you want to shave down for a SSD, drop down to a i5-4670k. You won't see much of a difference. You also dont need 800 watts unless you plan on running SLI. You can use a bronze 600 and be fine.

Change the 4770K to a 4670K. There's your SSD money.
I dunno. I've a i7-920 oc'd that I bought 5 years ago and was top of the line and has served me dutifully and I liked having that overhead.

If you want to shave down for a SSD, drop down to a i5-4670k. You won't see much of a difference. You also dont need 800 watts unless you plan on running SLI. You can use a bronze 600 and be fine.

So a GTX 780+GTX 460+Capture card would be okay on a bronze 600?

DarkFlow

Banned
I dunno. I've a i7-920 oc'd that I bought 5 years ago and was top of the line and has served me dutifully and I liked having that overhead.

So a GTX 780+GTX 460+Capture card would be okay on a bronze 600?

a gtx780 would be able to handle all that by itself. I don't see the need for the 460 really.

thespot84

so i'm playing around with downsampling. still get great frames @ 1440 on my 1080 monitor. I also get great frames with 4x MSAA on. So which should I do. I think the downsampling is better but it's hard to tell. downsampling + 2x MSAA disp me down to 45 fps or so...

so i'm playing around with downsampling. still get great frames @ 1440 on my 1080 monitor. I also get great frames with 4x MSAA on. So which should I do. I think the downsampling is better but it's hard to tell. downsampling + 2x MSAA disp me down to 45 fps or so...

You might see better performance if you use downsampling + FXAA or SMAA. I thought I read somewhere that downsampling does funny stuff to MSAA but I'm not certain.

longdi

Banned
So I checked out Kingston site on the memory and it says this:

It says 1.65 on the memory modules but on the site it says that it runs at 1.5v.

Not sure which one it is...

just like to add about ram voltage, you could try 1600 at 1.5v.
i have been running rams below their certified voltage for several rigs i made, granted none of those did scientific calculations, but neither do they crashed due to instability from the lower voltages.

missed the ulv samsung rams. they can run 1.3-1.4v at 1866, and very low height! wonder why samsung stopped making them, should bought a few more when they were dirt cheap

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Okay, so after doing some more research/reading I just realized that the GFX card I wanted will not fit in the lian li case...what I have come up with is this new build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bladesinner/saved/3Bmg

CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM $44.51
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g $6.73
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 $209.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $59.66
Case EVGA Hadron Mini ITX Tower w/500W Power Supply $152.58

Total: $1532.73

So my questions are:

1. Since I don't plan on overclocking (hence the e3 1230 v3 cpu XEON based Intel CPU), is the Maximus VI Impact MOBO completely overkill, or does it still have some features that warrants keeping it in the build? If it is completely overkill for my build, what is a good alternative?

2. I tried my best to research/read everything to try and make sure that everything will fit snugly in the case I have chosen, but does anyone see any mistakes I have made?

PC-GAF you are awesome for helping me/others out with their questions...super appreciate it!

yi8ifch.png

Preach.

Because the thread title says it is so last-gen I am not going to consider it a standard. Even then what the thread title says I consider a bit tongue-in-cheek.

I love 120/144Hz and if I could afford to do so I would jump on that train, but most people just wouldn't and that is the default thing to assume for now. Most people do not pay money for expensive monitors, and even less people pay money for the 120/144Hz type of expensive monitors.

Yeah, you putting more money in a GPU usually grants you a better card, but price/performance can get a bit iffy at high price points and you may be better off saving the money and just upgrading your GPU down the road.

Knch

Okay, so after doing some more research/reading I just realized that the GFX card I wanted will not fit in the lian li case...what I have come up with is this new build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bladesinner/saved/3Bmg

CPU Cooler Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM $44.51
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g $6.73
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 $209.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $59.66
Case EVGA Hadron Mini ITX Tower w/500W Power Supply $152.58

Total: $1532.73

So my questions are:

1. Since I don't plan on overclocking (hence the e3 1230 v3 cpu XEON based Intel CPU), is the Maximus VI Impact MOBO completely overkill, or does it still have some features that warrants keeping it in the build? If it is completely overkill for my build, what is a good alternative?

2. I tried my best to research/read everything to try and make sure that everything will fit snugly in the case I have chosen, but does anyone see any mistakes I have made?

PC-GAF you are awesome for helping me/others out with their questions...super appreciate it!

Motherboard is indeed overkill (it almost always is, but that's what it was made for) any non Z87 mini-itx should do you fine. Have a look at the features of the different boards/chipsets.

If you want the fancy audio, mPCIe Combo thingy and/or native RAM disk, you can keep it in the build. Otherwise, you can easily knock about a $100 off the total.

Everything should fit just fine, but you don't need the ancient thermal paste, that cooler will come with more than adequate (if not better) paste. (Also, the case probably fits a bigger, better performing, more silent cooler just fine.)

LordAlu

Finalizing my new pc, can you guys look at this spec list?

I had a 600W psu in there, but he suggested 750... Isn't that total overkill? I don't think I need this much...
A 600W is fine (to be honest a 550W would be fine too) but I'd look at changing a few more things in there. For example you have a 4670k CPU but not a Z87 motherboard and I'd change the 840 Pro for the EVO. Maybe have something like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€206.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€26.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€123.09 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (€75.54 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (€76.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€79.63 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (€312.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (€76.98 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (€54.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (€17.95 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1051.27
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-31 09:23 CET+0100)

These are all from Amazon.DE. There's a more suitable motherboard, aftermarket cooler, the SSD is the evo version and the power supply is down to something more reasonable. Changed the graphics card to a 770 because there was barely any 280x on Amazon but you could always swap that to the card of your choice.

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Motherboard is indeed overkill (it almost always is, but that's what it was made for) any non Z87 mini-itx should do you fine. Have a look at the features of the different boards/chipsets.

If you want the fancy audio, mPCIe Combo thingy and/or native RAM disk, you can keep it in the build. Otherwise, you can easily knock about a $100 off the total.

Everything should fit just fine, but you don't need the ancient thermal paste, that cooler will come with more than adequate (if not better) paste. (Also, the case probably fits a bigger, better performing, more silent cooler just fine.)

Great, so I guess I will have to weigh the pros/cons of the MOBO...the audio does seem nice, so I might keep it in for that. Thanks for the help there.

Understood regarding the thermal paste. I threw that in for some dumb reason, haha.

With regards to the CPU cooler, what size do you think I can go up to with this case? I prefer to stay within the Noctua Brand.

Cheers!

Alex

I've had this exact card for about 3 weeks now. so far its been pretty solid. started to downsample at 1440p and 1600p here and there and i get pretty good frame rates in BF3. gets a little hot for my liking. it reached 70 a couple times but i just need to get a bigger case with more airflow.

70 is too hot nowadays? That seems fairly darn cool, to me.

Durante

70° is totally fine, some modern high-end cards are built to run at 90. (Though even I ama somewhat uncomfortable with that one)

Knch

With regards to the CPU cooler, what size do you think I can go up to with this case? I prefer to stay within the Noctua Brand.

Noctua has some very extensive compatibility charts, so after you pick your motherboard (which will determine socket position) you should have a look there first.

After a quick look, NH-U9B SE2 seems like it would fit, but might be a handful to install.

Salacious Crumb

Just finished a pretty high end build for a friend:

WYTCvh3.jpg

Parts list:

CPU: i5 4670K $275
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Sniper $109
MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 $199 (heapest board he liked the looks of, not my first choice)
GPU: Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce 3 $549
Storage: 120GB 840 EVO + 2TB $109+$99
PSU: Antec HCG-620M $115
Case: Nanoxia DeepSilence 1 $119

Total: $1575 (Australian prices)

Pretty straight forward build, the case could do with a few more mm behind the motherboard tray but it was easy enough to keep it clean. The only issue I had with the build was there seems to be some sort of short somewhere in the front panel USB2 ports. Whenever the USB2 header was plugged in I'd get a message about USB OCP ad it would power down. No biggie as the USB3 ports work fine.

Can you elaborate? I play with V-sync on because I abhor screen tearing, but should I turn my frame-limiter off?

Input lag might be a tiny bit less depending on the game, but that won't matter much. I assume most of the benefit comes with the framerate and frametimes being more consistent. Using the frame-limiter probably keeps that effect though.

riflen

Just ignore that noise. No-one can tell you how to enjoy games, I use 2 x 780Ti on a single 1680x1050 display. You can down-sample, you can target fixed 120fps, go for bonkers AA or all of the above in some titles.

Just ignore that noise. No-one can tell you how to enjoy games, I use 2 x 780Ti on a single 1680x1050 display. You can down-sample, you can target fixed 120fps, go for bonkers AA or all of the above in some titles.
OK but if anything was overkill, that would be pretty damned close to it ;-)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
A 600W is fine (to be honest a 550W would be fine too) but I'd look at changing a few more things in there. For example you have a 4670k CPU but not a Z87 motherboard and I'd change the 840 Pro for the EVO. Maybe have something like this?

Thx a lot! Complete noob here, can you explain why I'd need the Z87 motherboard and why the EVO is recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom