• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what I can and can not upgrade on my laptop? I have a Sager NP8170.

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: Intel i7-2760QM (2.4 GHz) CPU / 16GB RAM / PH170HM(???) / AMD Radeon HD 6900M / 750GB

I would like to upgrade the CPU or GPU (possibly the hard drive which should be easy) but don't know where to start. Do they even sell these parts to anyone other than places similar to XoticPC?

They're laptop parts so you're screwed. You can replace the hard drive with a moderately sized SSD but apart from that your CPU is the top CPU the motherboard will support and the GPU isn't upgradeable.

kennah

They're laptop parts so you're screwed. You can replace the hard drive with a moderately sized SSD but apart from that your CPU is the top CPU the motherboard will support and the GPU isn't upgradeable.

Sagers can be upgraded. As for what specifically to put in there... have no idea at all where to even start.

DemiMatt

Hey Gaf, my current rig is on its way out. I was wondering what you would recommend please. I was looking at the OP and some of the other posts, and some of them look great, but I was wondering if someone had more incite to what I'm looking for please. Thank you!

Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM / Motherboard / GPU (Graphics) / PSU (Power Supply) / Case / HDD (Hard Drive)

Budget: 1000-1500 + in the US

Main Use: Animation (Maya), Compositing (Nuke & After Effects), Gaming, Editing (Avid), photo editing, music production (ableton & serato), then basic emulation, office,

Monitor Resolution: Currently I have this monitor (I don't plan on buying a new one). I'm fine running at it's max, I'll be using a secondary 20 inch monitor, so gfx card must have to ports.

Looking to reuse any parts?: I may reuse the following HD - WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX

When will you build?: Within the next two months

Will you be overclocking?: Yes

DarkFlow

Banned
Does anyone know what I can and can not upgrade on my laptop? I have a Sager NP8170.

[Basic Desktop Questions]
Your Current Specs: Intel i7-2760QM (2.4 GHz) CPU / 16GB RAM / PH170HM(???) / AMD Radeon HD 6900M / 750GB

I would like to upgrade the CPU or GPU (possibly the hard drive which should be easy) but don't know where to start. Do they even sell these parts to anyone other than places similar to XoticPC?

Well It took some digging, but I found a GPU you can slap in there. A GTX 680m http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLEVO-P150H...-4GB-MXM-3-0b-with-VGA-Heatsink-/121219734573 Bad news is, it's $740...

Also your Sager is a Clevo P170HM. Should help you find some stuff.

Didn't realize that my 2500k was going to have such long legs... Will I have to replace it at all in the next few years?

Also when is this console generation's 8800GT coming out? Anything announced that seems like that?

Saad

Pull out the video card. Reseat everything else. Make sure that the motherboard power plugs (24 pin and 8 pin) are snug. Unplug your har drive and SSD and see if you can get it to boot with the onboard video.

Tried all of it and it didn't work. I also replaced the CPU cooler with the stock one and removed the GPU and still the same result... Does it mean that there is something wrong with the CPU?
What do you mean by 24 and 8? I only see the 24.

Rufus

What do you mean by 24 and 8? I only see the 24.
There should be a smaller power connector (4-pin or 8-pin) on the mobo, probably the top left, near the CPU socket.

edit: Read your specs. In your case it's just a 4-pin. Near the CPU socket, right next to one of the mounting holes for the heatsink. Says ATX 12V next to it.

knitoe

Didn't realize that my 2500k was going to have such long legs... Will I have to replace it at all in the next few years?

Also when is this console generation's 8800GT coming out? Anything announced that seems like that?

Yeah. I didn't think my 2600K would last this long either. If you haven't already, overclock your 2500K and it should be good for the foreseeable future. Since AMD has pretty much given up on the CPU performance crown, CPU development seems to be crawling. I am hoping Intel's 8 core later this year will finally get me to upgrade.

Hey Gaf, my current rig is on its way out. I was wondering what you would recommend please. I was looking at the OP and some of the other posts, and some of them look great, but I was wondering if someone had more incite to what I'm looking for please. Thank you!

Main Use: Animation (Maya), Compositing (Nuke & After Effects), Gaming, Editing (Avid), photo editing, music production (ableton & serato), then basic emulation, office

Autodesk Maya Certified GPUs

Adobe GPU Acceleration

Other Cards for GPU Acceleration for Adobe

I don't know anything about Nuke though.

A $1000 Haz build from the first page with a 3GB R9 280X (re-badged 7970?) would probably be a pretty nice setup in my opinion. It doesn't have the gimped floating point performance like many of the Nvidia cards and it "should" have no issues with Maya.

KniL

It's one benchmark for one game. Please don't come in here with the intent to pick fights.

I'm just asking GAF opinion about a fact. And it's a benchmark for a recently released PC game.
And what's the problem? Posting a benchmark where AMD looks good in this thread is to pick fights? C'mon

Okay I feel like an idiot.. Hopefully someone can help me :(

I got a video card from a friend who has never used it but he got it for free himself.

I'm currently on a 660 and this new one is a 760.

The 660 only requires one 6 pin connector while the 760 requires two 6 pin connectors. I have 1 PCI-E 6-pin connector available on my PSU but it chains into another one. It kinda looks like this... (Ignore the right connector but it looks like the two left on the left and both are on the same cable connected into my PSU)

1000x1000.jpg

I'm guessing it is okay to plug both into the two available 6 pin connectors on the video card and it should be okay?

It is a 500w PSU and its not some cheapo shit one from what I can tell as it has the whole 80plus Gold Certified label on it and I know that a 500w PSU is supposed to be able to power a 760.

Whenever I plug it in, I see the fans spinning on the video card but nothing posts on the monitors which are connected via DVI. I'm guessing this is just a bad card? No one has really tested it so that kind of is my guess.

maneil99

Mantle Benchmarks for BF4

GPU-limited scenario: 2.7% (1080p) and 1.4% (1600p) performance improvement under Ultra settings and FXAA on the Core i7-4960X with an AMD Radeon R7 260X

http://techgage.com/news/amd-shares-fresh-mantle-numbers-promises-driver-to-support-it-soon/

Seems good if you have an APU and a desktop GPU, if not, not great.

GPU-limited scenario: 5.1% (1080p) and 16.7% (1600p) performance improvement in the “RTS” test on Extreme settings with the Core i7-4960X and an AMD Radeon R7 260X

rCIZZLE

Does anybody have a recommendation for an ergonomic keyboard and mousepad? My wrists start killing me anytime I play more than a couple hours. Not much desk space so the smaller the better.

Knch

I'm just asking GAF opinion about a fact.
Where's the i3's singlecore high IPC performace here?

You call this just asking a question?

And what's the problem? Posting a benchmark where AMD looks good in this thread is to pick fights? C'mon

The problems are:
- You only show a single benchmark, for one recent game. This doesn't mean ...
- The benchmark uses FPS (not really a problem for me, but others are more particular)
- The recommended i3 is not included in this benchmark for this single recent game

Could probably list more if I could actually be bothered trying...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Okay I feel like an idiot.. Hopefully someone can help me :(

I got a video card from a friend who has never used it but he got it for free himself.

I'm currently on a 660 and this new one is a 760.

The 660 only requires one 6 pin connector while the 760 requires two 6 pin connectors. I have 1 PCI-E 6-pin connector available on my PSU but it chains into another one. It kinda looks like this... (Ignore the right connector but it looks like the two left on the left and both are on the same cable connected into my PSU)

1000x1000.jpg

I'm guessing it is okay to plug both into the two available 6 pin connectors on the video card and it should be okay?

It is a 500w PSU and its not some cheapo shit one from what I can tell as it has the whole 80plus Gold Certified label on it and I know that a 500w PSU is supposed to be able to power a 760.

Whenever I plug it in, I see the fans spinning on the video card but nothing posts on the monitors which are connected via DVI. I'm guessing this is just a bad card? No one has really tested it so that kind of is my guess.
PCI-E power should be ok.
Why is your PSU model?

Did you try a different PCI-E slot?

Nikodemos

A few questions about my potential next build.

Are 8 gigs enough for a Kaveri build? I'd like 16, but that's a bit on the pricy side.

Is the Bitfenix Prodigy Black (the one with the mesh front panel) a decent case?

What PSU should I get? If going for the Bitfenix (or any other SFF case) it needs to be a compact one (<160mm length). The internals it would have to power are the APU(+cooler, evidently), the RAM, an SSD, 2 HDDs, an optical drive, 2-3 fans and possibly an R7-250 further down the line (after prices drop a bit and improved Dual Graphics drivers keep coming out).

Knch

A few questions about my potential next build.

Are 8 gigs enough for a Kaveri build? I'd like 16, but that's a bit on the pricy side.

Is the Bitfenix Prodigy Black (the one with the mesh front panel) a decent case?

What PSU should I get? If going for the Bitfenix (or any other SFF case) it needs to be a compact one (<160mm length). The internals it would have to power are the APU(+cooler, evidently), the RAM, an SSD, 2 HDDs, an optical drive, 2-3 fans and possibly an R7-250 further down the line (after prices drop a bit and improved Dual Graphics drivers keep coming out).

8GB is plenty, spend more on faster ram if you can as APUs do benefit from faster ram.

Yes it is.

Any 400W+ PSU should do you fine, just pick a quality one from the OP, all lower powered ones should fit just fine. (You almost definitely want a full modular one if you're building in a smaller case though)

Knch

Should I go 2400 MHz (higher speed, better for the iGPU) CL10, or 2133 MHz CL9 (lower latency, better for the CPU)?

Should be pretty much equal in real world performance.

Choose based on price, or looks, or throwing darts...

Or think about what you want out of this build, have a look at the different benchmarks here http://anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell and choose based on whatever minute advantage one has over the other. (Not that Haswell and Kaveri are equal in any way, shape or form)

Diablos

Hmm

The FXs looks very well in this nextgen multi-core intensive game

Is this the trend of future PC games?

Where's the i3's singlecore high IPC performace here?

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Battlefield_4-test-bf4_proz_2.jpg

Source
Very nice. This definitely shows the CPU isn't quite obsolete yet. Not worth swapping out that 6300+mobo at all. The verdict is still out on multicore and how common it'll be, but when you look at next-gen consoles alone and how they are essentially PC's, it is going to force the issue a lot more than it ever was in the past for sure.

Yeah, your 2500K is fine just like my 6300 is (in terms of having 'long legs', not architecture... calm down everyone). Worry about getting a better GPU in the next several years, not CPU.

I would imagine when something like the R9 290X is a lot more affordable we'll have this gen's 8800GT. The reason I say this is we're still not really deep into the realm of true 'next-gen' titles (i.e. Witcher 3) and so you are going to need something like that card for satisfactory 1080/60 pefromance with everything at very high/maxed. My poor 660 is going to choke.

That benchmark only has a Sandy Bridge i3 and a Westmere i3, not the much faster Haswell i3.
Are there any BF4 benches showing both the Haswell i3 and 6300?

Autodesk Maya Certified GPUs

Adobe GPU Acceleration

Other Cards for GPU Acceleration for Adobe

I don't know anything about Nuke though.

A $1000 Haz build from the first page with a 3GB R9 280X (re-badged 7970?) would probably be a pretty nice setup in my opinion. It doesn't have the gimped floating point performance like many of the Nvidia cards and it "should" have no issues with Maya.
If there's any chance that you'll be working with 4K video, you may want more than 3GB of VRAM. Definitely more than 2GB. Or you could always get 3GB now and upgrade later down the line since the next GPUs will have improvements specifically for your workflows.

mkenyon

Banned
every now and then i look at my build in pc part picker as a pickmeup for the day.
I haven't built mine and I look at my list of PC parts and sit and daydream.
One day!

I do this all the time too.
Very nice. This definitely shows the CPU isn't quite obsolete yet. Not worth swapping out that 6300+mobo at all. The verdict is still out on multicore and how common it'll be, but when you look at next-gen consoles alone and how they are essentially PC's, it is going to force the issue a lot more than it ever was in the past for sure.
Maybe. Need proper benchmarking to be sure.

It's one game, it's nearly impossible to properly benchmark on multiplayer, which is where that IPC is important.

Coreda

I know the feeling and I am slowly acquiring parts and the closer I get to being able to assemble it I get so excited.

So far have ordered my KB and mouse - it's like the Lost Boys' imaginary dinner, only with computer parts and more waiting.

Hey guys looking into making a new build. More or less following the suggested Enthusiast Build from the OP. i currently have a GTX 680 2Gb in my pc and plan on giving my current PC to my wife. Would a GTX 770 4gb last me with near maximum settings for the next 2 years or so on most games? I've been playing Skyrim heavily modded and am hitting my Vram limits I believe with 2Gb in the 680. The next game I'm looking forward to playing on PC is Witcher 3. AA isn't really as important to me as pretty much everything else when playing on my 1080p monitor. I have a PS4 & and an Xbone and I want to still ensure that my PC will be able to play the ported games from them at 60 fps. Consoles for exclusives and PC for everything else.

StillEdge

This is probably a really dumb question, but I just built a computer this year. Don't know much about it other than I did it.
CPU: i7 3770k unlocked
GPU: MSI R7870/ OC Radeon HD 7870 2GB
PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold
Ram: 2x8GB of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series
MoBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155

Problem is girlfriend tells me The Sims 3 runs slow. Everything I do on the computer from gaming to animating it runs perfect. I have seen it run slow on The Sims 3. What I have played from my Steam Backlog no game slows it down like The Sims 3.

Addnan

This is probably a really dumb question, but I just built a computer this year. Don't know much about it other than I did it.

Problem is girlfriend tells me The Sims 3 runs slow. Everything I do on the computer from gaming to animating it runs perfect. I have seen it run slow on The Sims 3. What I have played from my Steam Backlog no game slows it down like The Sims 3.
Does Sims lower the monitor refresh rate to like 24hz? Check that. Otherwise try different driver.

mkenyon

Banned
Hey guys looking into making a new build. More or less following the suggested Enthusiast Build from the OP. i currently have a GTX 680 2Gb in my pc and plan on giving my current PC to my wife. Would a GTX 770 4gb last me with near maximum settings for the next 2 years or so on most games? I've been playing Skyrim heavily modded and am hitting my Vram limits I believe with 2Gb in the 680. The next game I'm looking forward to playing on PC is Witcher 3. AA isn't really as important to me as pretty much everything else when playing on my 1080p monitor. I have a PS4 & and an Xbone and I want to still ensure that my PC will be able to play the ported games from them at 60 fps. Consoles for exclusives and PC for everything else.
The 770 is a higher clocked 680. Literally the same card otherwise. The 4GB will give you better performance in Skyrim with mods, and that's about it. I can't speak towards future performance, as those games aren't out yet, and there's a lot right now hinging on how things are going to shake out due to the new consoles.

I'll do some googling, sounds weird though.

kharma45

It's a bit of a sideways move. 770 was just a rebadged 680 and it's not worth the extra solely for the VRAM. Modded Skyrim wouldn't be worth changing for imo since most games at 1080p will be fine with 2GB VRAM.

I'd just hold on to what you have and see what the future brings. You've still got a top class GPU.

Ieu

The GTX 770 will easily last you 2 years, I expect my 670 to last me perhaps another 18 months at max settings.

Modders usually don't have time for mere mortals and their petty VRAM concerns but any commercial developer will be worried that a user won't be able to run their game. In that case I expect Witcher 2 will let you pick the texture quality to suit your hardware so don't worry about it.

redlegs87

So far have ordered my KB and mouse - it's like the Lost Boys' imaginary dinner, only with computer parts and more waiting.

I have the case, cpu cooler and copy of windows loaded on a thumb drive ready to go. Tomorrow I am getting the i5 4670k at Microcenter.

cryptic

Gaf, I need a new laptop just for writing and light media use.

I also want something stylish and unique that is not too large and long on battery; I'd prefer something petite.

The budget is 600 or so, eliminating all Macs.

My original idea was to buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PII4HW/?tag=neogaf0e-20 in their final, p11 iteration, but they're no longer on ebay.

If you have any ideas I'd really appreciate the help, I've been going through very strong depression(no pity please, just help) and I really find writing to be my only outlet for self-help so I need this a lot.

Thanks for any advice, you can freely PM me if you want.

This is easy. Right click on the windows desktop ->screen resolution -> duplicate these displays. So long as they are the same resolution they will both show the same thing.

I think he's asking for tips on how to get two different models/brands of monitors to look relatively the same in color balance. Which I've been trying to do for roughly 3 years. Unless you have access to expensive hardware that will basically do it for you, good luck.

Pachimari

Current Specs
None.

Budget
$1500 / Denmark

Main use
01) Gaming on High/Ultra settings.
02) Website programming (Dreamweaver, Photoshop).
03) Live TV / Recording.
04) HD Movies playback to 1080p HDTV through Plex.
05) Internet
06) PS2/Wii Emulation.

Monitor Resolution
I'll use my current 24" monitor. But the plan is, to run a 3-monitor set-up at 1080p.

Specific games and apps I must run
- Dreamweaver CS6
- Photoshop CS6

- Minecraft
- Crysis
- The Witcher 3
- FF XIV: A Realm Reborn
- World of Warcraft
- Multi-platform games
- Indiegames

- 60fps
- I would like to run all the fancy technologies like PhysX and TressFX.

When will I build
Within the next 3 months.

Overclocking
Maybe. Dunno what it's for.

What I have come up with with the help of this thread's nice fellows:

CPU
i5 4670K 4C/4T (1.622 DKK = $297)

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H (1.398 DKK = $256)

RAM
(8GB) (637 DKK = $117)

Graphics
GTX 770 4GB (2.940 DKK = $538)

SSD
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (1.184 DKK = $217)

Storage
WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB (403 DKK = $74)

Power Supply
CoolerMaster V700 (1.273 DKK = $233)

Case
Fractal R4 (763 DKK = $140)

Optical Drive
SATA DVD Burner (150 DKK = $28)

Heatsink
Corsair H60 (488 DKK = $90)

Overall Price
$1990

So I might trim down somewhere.

Can somebody confirm if these components will work together?

Then I will start ordering.

mkenyon

Banned
Gaf, I need a new laptop just for writing and light media use.

I also want something stylish and unique that is not too large and long on battery; I'd prefer something petite.

The budget is 600 or so, eliminating all Macs.

My original idea was to buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001PII4HW/?tag=neogaf0e-20 in their final, p11 iteration, but they're no longer on ebay.

If you have any ideas I'd really appreciate the help, I've been going through very strong depression(no pity please, just help) and I really find writing to be my only outlet for self-help so I need this a lot.

Thanks for any advice, you can freely PM me if you want.
Link to laptop thread is in the OP. There's not a lot of cross-knowledge between desktops and laptops, unfortunately.

Solid. Depending on what prices currently are, I'd suggest going with that Seasonic G series 650W in the OP to save a bit of money. Or even the 550W.

kharma45

Link to laptop thread is in the OP. There's not a lot of cross-knowledge between desktops and laptops, unfortunately.

Solid. Depending on what prices currently are, I'd suggest going with that Seasonic G series 650W in the OP to save a bit of money. Or even the 550W.

Yeah the 550w is reasonable money

http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/572107/seasonic-g550-gold-80plus-550w-semi

jonno394

All the parts are finally here :) the build commences in 36 hours. I cannae wait. I'll report back Saturday pm, hopefully with good news!

The 770 is a higher clocked 680. Literally the same card otherwise. The 4GB will give you better performance in Skyrim with mods, and that's about it. I can't speak towards future performance, as those games aren't out yet, and there's a lot right now hinging on how things are going to shake out due to the new consoles.

I'll do some googling, sounds weird though.

It's a bit of a sideways move. 770 was just a rebadged 680 and it's not worth the extra solely for the VRAM. Modded Skyrim wouldn't be worth changing for imo since most games at 1080p will be fine with 2GB VRAM.

I'd just hold on to what you have and see what the future brings. You've still got a top class GPU.

The GTX 770 will easily last you 2 years, I expect my 670 to last me perhaps another 18 months at max settings.

Modders usually don't have time for mere mortals and their petty VRAM concerns but any commercial developer will be worried that a user won't be able to run their game. In that case I expect Witcher 2 will let you pick the texture quality to suit your hardware so don't worry about it.

I appreciate the responses guys. That being the case with which do you think I'd get more longevity/performance from, a GTX 780 w/3Gbs or a GTX 770 with 4Gbs?

Bii

If I plan to only game in 1080p, would a 780 be overkill?

I've been thinking about building a new PC with my tax return, but wouldn't necessarily buy a new monitor right away (max resolution on my monitor is 1920x1080).

here are some benchmarks from recent games
Honestly looking like it's starting to be bottlenecked imo i would be looking to swap out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom