• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

riflen

Thx a lot! Complete noob here, can you explain why I'd need the Z87 motherboard and why the EVO is recommended?

You need a Z87 to over-clock your K CPU. I think the Evo is recommended above the Pro because of price/performance. You likely won't notice any discernable difference in performance if you're playing games.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You need a Z87 to over-clock your K CPU. I think the Evo is recommended above the Pro because of price/performance. You likely won't notice any discernable difference in performance if you're playing games.

But I won't be overclocking (at least I have no intention to look into that)...

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Noctua has some very extensive compatibility charts, so after you pick your motherboard (which will determine socket position) you should have a look there first.

After a quick look, NH-U9B SE2 seems like it would fit, but might be a handful to install.

Yes, it seems like this might fit...at least according to this: http://www.overclock.net/t/1434841/build-log-mitx-gaming-rig-evga-hadron-air

Will I see much of a difference in terms of temperatures though, running an E3 1230v3 at stock speeds, vs using the NH-L9I?

The only reason I ask is since I won't be overclocking, it might make sense to have an easier installation that takes up less space, as far as cpu cooling is concerned.

Water

But I won't be overclocking (at least I have no intention to look into that)...
On a K series CPU like the 4670k you are paying a price premium for the ability to overclock, so you should also get a Z series motherboard that is capable of overclocking, and a decent processor cooler like the CM 212. Mild overclocks (like +20% speed) are completely safe and automatic, you just have to turn it on.

On the other hand if you aren't going to overclock, buy a cheaper non-K CPU and a cheaper non-Z motherboard.

(Most games are not CPU limited, so overclocking doesn't do much in them, but for stuff like real-time strategy games, console emulation such as Dolphin, etc. the faster processor can help a lot.)

FoxSpirit

Just finished a pretty high end build for a friend:

WYTCvh3.jpg

Parts list:

CPU: i5 4670K $275
RAM: 8GB G.Skill Sniper $109
MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 $199 (heapest board he liked the looks of, not my first choice)
GPU: Gigabyte R9 290 Windforce 3 $549
Storage: 120GB 840 EVO + 2TB $109+$99
PSU: Antec HCG-620M $115
Case: Nanoxia DeepSilence 1 $119

Total: $1575 (Australian prices)

Pretty straight forward build, the case could do with a few more mm behind the motherboard tray but it was easy enough to keep it clean. The only issue I had with the build was there seems to be some sort of short somewhere in the front panel USB2 ports. Whenever the USB2 header was plugged in I'd get a message about USB OCP ad it would power down. No biggie as the USB3 ports work fine.
Wow, that's basically a 1:1 copy of the Fractal R4. Wth?

zonezeus

Quick question, probably asked a million times but I'm kinda lost here. What RAM should I buy for my build with Asus Hero + i5 4670k? 1600? 1866? What manufacturer? What latency? Some links would be appreciated.

And my build for verification:

CPU: i5 4670K
RAM: ?
MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 760OC 4GB
Storage: 120GB 840 EVO and 1TB
PSU: Seasonic G-650 (SSR-650RM)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White

I'm completely new to this, will all this work together well?

kharma45

Quick question, probably asked a million times but I'm kinda lost here. What RAM should I buy for my build with Asus Hero + i5 4670k? 1600? 1866? What manufacturer? What latency? Some links would be appreciated.

Whatever is cheapest where you live. Speed doesn't really matter. All I'd say is avoid the stupidly tall Corsair stuff.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
On a K series CPU like the 4670k you are paying a price premium for the ability to overclock, so you should also get a Z series motherboard that is capable of overclocking, and a decent processor cooler like the CM 212. Mild overclocks (like +20% speed) are completely safe and automatic, you just have to turn it on.

On the other hand if you aren't going to overclock, buy a cheaper non-K CPU and a cheaper non-Z motherboard.

(Most games are not CPU limited, so overclocking doesn't do much in them, but for stuff like real-time strategy games, console emulation such as Dolphin, etc. the faster processor can help a lot.)

I'd be saving a bit on the other ssd/hdd, so I'm considering the z87 mb. If it's that easy, I might consider it down the road. Is this one ok:
Asus Z87-k S1150 Z87 C2 ATX

so, bought 2 drives. 1 1,5tb WB black and a 1tb WD blue. tested their speed(compared most the sequential read), and the blue was faster...isnt the black supposed to be faster?
WD Blue was 195mb read and write
WB Black was between 160-175 read and write, i believe. could test again later.
EDIT: oh, just discovered why. the blue uses a single 1tb platter, so it's faster then the black. should've researched a bit better :p
EDIT2: actually, i'm not really sure that's the reason, seeing the comparision i saw was both having 1tb.

FoxSpirit

so, bought 2 drives. 1 1,5tb WB black and a 1tb WD blue. tested their speed(compared most the sequential read), and the blue was faster...isnt the black supposed to be faster?
Test the drive more thoroughly, could be that the Blue straight on streams faster but does much worse in any more randomised scenario.

Also, whatever happened to the recommendation of the SeaGate ST2000V000?? All I know it's a fine storage drive and the news that suddenly the low end WDs are better is suspicious. Just a year ago everyone said "hands off" to those due to high failure report rates.

I just starte dthe long and painful process of buying parts for a new build. Just put down the cash for an i7-4770K. Now i need a decent motherboard. Any thoughts on this one?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-z8...Q3Q.html?refs=492970000-492820000-50626&src=3

I understand its a cheaper mobo, but i dont need alot of high end features like wifi etc. Just the ability to OC should i so desire in the future.

Ive been reading customer reviews of motherboards on newegg and it has me in the horrors. Every mobo has a ton of bad reviews, im suddenly shitting myself!

kharma45

I just starte dthe long and painful process of buying parts for a new build. Just put down the cash for an i7-4770K. Now i need a decent motherboard. Any thoughts on this one?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/asus-z8...Q3Q.html?refs=492970000-492820000-50626&src=3

I understand its a cheaper mobo, but i dont need alot of high end features like wifi etc. Just the ability to OC should i so desire in the future.

Ive been reading customer reviews of motherboards on newegg and it has me in the horrors. Every mobo has a ton of bad reviews, im suddenly shitting myself!

They're one of the most likely items to be DOA. With all online reviews remember you're more likely to leave one if something goes wrong rather than goes well.

It's a fine enough motherboard that.

riflen

EDIT: oh, just discovered why. the blue uses a single 1tb platter, so it's faster then the black. should've researched a bit better :p
EDIT2: actually, i'm not really sure that's the reason, seeing the comparision i saw was both having 1tb.

The main differences between Blue and Black:

Black has 5 year warranty, Blue has 3.
Black has dual processors and the 2TB+ disks have dual actuators.

Speeds are probably rather similar for most workloads but the blacks are designed to be more reliable over time.
The Black range was updated late last year, (FZEX). They support advanced format and have some dynamic cache allocation improvements, dual-core processor and improved anti-vibration. Check what model numbers you have.

Black: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771434.pdf
Blue: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771436.pdf

The main differences between Blue and Black:

Black has 5 year warranty, Blue has 3.
Black has dual processors and the 2TB+ disks have dual actuators.

Speeds are probably rather similar for most workloads but the blacks are designed to be more reliable over time.
The Black range was updated late last year, (FZEX). They support advanced format and have some dynamic cache allocation improvements, dual-core processor and improved anti-vibration. Check what model numbers you have.

Black: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771434.pdf
Blue: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-771436.pdf

My model is WD1502FAEX

I dunno. I've a i7-920 oc'd that I bought 5 years ago and was top of the line and has served me dutifully and I liked having that overhead.

Yea, I have a i7-920 as well and the legs on it have been fantastic. The 2500k is good, but the 920 is older and still performs like a champ. OC'd to 4.2ghz and have been running it since release. All it needed was a graphics card upgrade and it performs similarly to my downstairs rig with a 3770k.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've had this exact card for about 3 weeks now. so far its been pretty solid. started to downsample at 1440p and 1600p here and there and i get pretty good frame rates in BF3. gets a little hot for my liking. it reached 70 a couple times but i just need to get a bigger case with more airflow.

70 is peanuts. I think 80's are where you kind of watch things or maybe make a fan profile even if it increases noise in your case.

I've never been one to care for noise as long as my GPU's stay at a good temp. I can accept temps in the 70's but generally try to avoid anything above 80-85C.

Even my reference 670 does a damn good job as even intensive games don't bring me above the 72c~ mark.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guys, I need immediate help... So I have two Lenovo laptops, they're both very similar with pretty much only a processor difference... So my i5 laptop crashed and I switched the harddrive from i5 laptop to the i7 laptop and it's working... except for the Wifi. It doesn't find anything at all, it just says "no connections are available"...

Is it even remotely possible that switching an HDD from one computer to another computer might disable the Wifi? What might be the problem here...?

Guys, I need immediate help... So I have two Lenovo laptops, they're both very similar with pretty much only a processor difference... So my i5 laptop crashed and I switched the harddrive from i5 laptop to the i7 laptop and it's working... except for the Wifi. It doesn't find anything at all, it just says "no connections are available"...

Is it even remotely possible that switching an HDD from one computer to another computer might disable the Wifi? What might be the problem here...?
You might want to uninstall the drivers for the network card and reinstall the correct ones for that machine. Give that a try.

I'm thinking about a temporary upgrade from my GTX 680. I know Maxwell isn't far off so i will most likely take advantage of the step up program.

Requirements
$350 budget
Date/month to purchase
EVGA

kennah

You would need to install drivers for the different wifi chip.

I'm thinking about a temporary upgrade from my GTX 680. I know Maxwell isn't far off so i will most likely take advantage of the step up program.

Requirements
$350 budget
Date/month to purchase
EVGA

The only upgrade from your 680 would be a 780. The 770 is literally a 680 with a different sticker and clocked slightly higher.

Requirements
$350 budget
Date/month to purchase
EVGA
You could probably get a 770 in and around that price range.
Edit: What he said ^

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You might want to uninstall the drivers for the network card and reinstall the correct ones for that machine. Give that a try.
How do I know which is the correct one?

Bluetooth Device (Personal area network)
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI) #2
Microsoft Kernal Debug Network Adapter
Qualcomm Atheros AR8162/8166/8168 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

And below all of that, in another category "Other devices"
- Network controller

?

You would need to install drivers for the different wifi chip.

The only upgrade from your 680 would be a 780. The 770 is literally a 680 with a different sticker and clocked slightly higher.

I had the same thought.. when do you guys think we will see an 880?

Yoshichan

I would just connect the laptop to the router with ethernet and let windows do its thing. Almost always works
Let Windows do its thing? I can hook it up with ethernet, but will that solve the Wifi issues?

Edit: all right, so I hooked it in with ethernet... and internet works, but what now? How do I solve the Wifi?

Let Windows do its thing? I can hook it up with ethernet, but will that solve the Wifi issues?

windows update should automatically find the correct driver for the device. If it doesnt, go to network adapter>properties and click on the install driver button (idk what it says exactly, my windows is in italian)

Yoshichan

Ok I did that but it told me everything was updated to the best drivers...

The only thing it didn't say anything on was:

Other category:
Network Controller

It said "couldn't update drivers". Nothing more or less ._.

riflen

I had the same thought.. when do you guys think we will see an 880?

Sensible estimates for a proper successor to the 780 are Q3/Q4 2014, but no-one actually knows for sure. There's a lot of uncertainty right now because we're due a node shrink, but desktop GPUs will not be at the front of the queue in the 20nm foundries. 20nm is supposed to begin fabricating in the Summer and Apple et al get first dibs.

We're rumoured to be getting 790 and Titan Black coming soon, which if true, also point to a significant delay for 20nm Maxwell GPUs.

Yoshichan

Going through a huge bunch of Windows Update! Hopefully that fixes it :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok, thanks to the feedback here, I have a final final build. Went for the Z87 mobo, changed up the hdd's and picked 600w psu

Case: Antec Three Hundred Two - - tower
PSU: Corsair PSU/Builder Series CX 600W EU Version
MB: Asus Z87M-PLUS
CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K - 3.4 GHz
GPU: ASUS R9280X-DC2T-3GD5
RAM: Vengeance - Memory - 8 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 1600 MHz
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Yoshichan

Is it normal for Windows Update to be at 0% for 10 minutes :p?

I don't know exactly what to do. I sold my old HD 6950 unlocked and over clocked to 6970 for 210 cause bit coin drove up its value. Now I want to spend that money to upgrade my car to something midrange while I wait for the 390x and GTX 880 to release. I know in benchmarks the GTX 760 is a little faster but with Mantel, AMD optimizations, and the fact bitcoin is effecting resale, Idk which would be the better pick if I only plan to keep it for a short while.

If forced to choose between MSN twin frozr 270x or 760 for a few months, what would you choose and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom