• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night my HP HDX Dragon video card fried and now i'm left without a computer as I take it to a qualified professional to dig it out and fix it.

Question: It had a Nvidia 8800M GTS card that I need to replace. Does anyone know of a cheap place I can get a replacement?

KniL

omg

BMQyphv.png

Look that 60% increase performance with the AMD Mantle API, holy shit

I think my next GPU will be a Radeon

HiResDes

This was just posted in the BST thread - someone jump on it!

Got this and I'm getting a i7 4770K CPU, will a 660w PSU support everything? I'm definitely not going to be upgrading or running crossfire ever, so what motherboard should I be looking at for a midtower case.

Kurdel

Banned
So I decided buy another 780 and go sli, but I am a little surprised to see this connector isn't freely available:

Nvidia-SLI-bridge-e1369773602148.jpg

From what I gather it is only when you order Battlebox certified computers directly from the OEMs.

Any place where I could get a pretty bridge connector instead of a boring cable?

I saw this one from EVGA, but I have a Zotac and a Galaxy, so that would be a but weird.

100-2W-0021-LR_MD_1.jpg

I currently have a Antec P182 case that I bought in 2008. I'm thinking about upgrading it since it doesn't have USB 3.0 ports on the front panel. Are there any newer cases that have a lot of room in them? It was one of the main reasons I got the P182 back then.

No Love

Banned
760 is best bang for the buck card, unless you go used.

Yeah I just posted these in the B/S/T thread:

3x Nvidia GTX 680 Asus DC2 4GB: $290
2x Nvidia GTX 770 MSI Twin Frozr 4GB (and 1x 2GB brand new in box): $300 for 4 GB, $270 for 2GB
4x Nvidia GTX 570 EVGA 2.5GB: $160

kharma45

Got this and I'm getting a i7 4770K CPU, will a 660w PSU support everything? I'm definitely not going to be upgrading or running crossfire ever, so what motherboard should I be looking at for a midtower case.

Easily. Just make sure it's not a shit PSU regardless of wattage.

What's your mobo budget?

Branson

I really wish I had a microcenter closer than 3.5 hours away. They have a lot of good deals. Unless they ship from the site now?

Pachimari

Current Specs
None.

Budget
$1500 / Denmark

Main use
01) Gaming on High/Ultra settings.
02) Website programming (Dreamweaver, Photoshop).
03) Live TV / Recording.
04) HD Movies playback to 1080p HDTV through Plex.
05) Internet
06) PS2/Wii Emulation.

Monitor Resolution
I'll use my current 24" monitor. But the plan is, to run a 3-monitor set-up at 1080p.

Specific games and apps I must run
- Dreamweaver CS6
- Photoshop CS6

- Minecraft
- Crysis
- The Witcher 3
- FF XIV: A Realm Reborn
- World of Warcraft
- Multi-platform games
- Indiegames

- 60fps
- I would like to run all the fancy technologies like PhysX and TressFX.

When will I build
Within the next 3 months.

Overclocking
Maybe. Dunno what it's for.

What I have come up with with the help of this thread's nice fellows:

CPU
i5 4670K 4C/4T (1.622 DKK = $297)

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H (1.398 DKK = $256)

RAM
(8GB) (637 DKK = $117)

Graphics
GTX 770 4GB (2.940 DKK = $538)

SSD
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (1.184 DKK = $217)

Storage
WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB (403 DKK = $74)

Power Supply
Sea Sonic G Series 550 (711 DKK = $130)

Case
Fractal R4 (763 DKK = $140)

Optical Drive
SATA DVD Burner (150 DKK = $28)

Heatsink
Corsair H60 (488 DKK = $90)

Overall Price
$1887

So I might trim down somewhere.
So this will be my computer and I will order half of the hardware tomorrow.

The thing is, don't i also need to buy something for it to have WiFi? And what do I need to buy to control my movie media center (Plex) with my tv remote control?

Also my most important question; can I put on a HD movie on the HDTV while still doing something else on my PC monitor with my set-up?

Because that would make me sell my Mac Mini.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Any downsides in slowly picking up parts for a new build over time? I'm still looking at a build with that Fractal Node so I think I would just pick up a new mobo, cpu, psu and possibly (will check compatibility with my current sticks) ram. However, I can't afford one big purchase right now.

I guess the other alternative is finding a good Sandy micro atx board so I can use my current 2500K and OC it but I'm unsure of any good quality boards still on the market.

derder

If I had $350 to spend on CPU+mobo,could I do better than an i5 3570k at 4.2ghz?

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade.

kharma45

If I had $350 to spend on CPU+mobo,could I do better than an i5 3570k at 4.2ghz?

What are you looking to do?

Any downsides in slowly picking up parts for a new build over time? I'm still looking at a build with that Fractal Node so I think I would just pick up a new mobo, cpu, psu and possibly (will check compatibility with my current sticks) ram. However, I can't afford one big purchase right now.

I guess the other alternative is finding a good Sandy micro atx board so I can use my current 2500K and OC it but I'm unsure of any good quality boards still on the market.

There still should be a good number of Z77 motherboards around that'll take your CPU.

kennah

No problem at all. I've been assembling mine since Aug 12. Ended up saving about $600 off total retail price by waiting for deals. It's fully functional, just the rest of the water cooling parts left.

Is the i5 what you have now? You wouldn't see much d an improvement. If you really have the bug you could get a 3770k

Spazo

So this will be my computer and I will order half of the hardware tomorrow.

The thing is, don't i also need to buy something for it to have WiFi? And what do I need to buy to control my movie media center (Plex) with my tv remote control?

You really need to get a SSD drive

Pachimari

You really need to get a SSD drive

I have a SSD listed on my list already. :)

I'm think I'm gonna bite and order what's exactly on my list now, and then hope it can run the latest games on high settings, and eventually HD movies on the tv, while I do basic internet surfing on my monitor.

Spazo

I have a SSD listed on my list already. :)

I'm think I'm gonna bite and order what's exactly on my list now, and then hope it can run the latest games on high settings, and eventually HD movies on the tv, while I do basic internet surfing on my monitor.

Didnt see it lol.. my bad.

Only saw the Blue WD ;)

Water

Ugh. I was going to stick to my old laggy Dell 2405fpw until an all-around great G-Sync display shows up on the market, but my display just died, and great G-Sync displays aren't even close to being out - for one, everything announced so far is TN and only has one Displayport.

The next best thing would seem to be an Eizo FG2421. I have long wanted a display with very good contrast and black levels, and I'm also curious about 120Hz and strobing backlights. However, until Silverstone FT05 comes out, I'm not going to have a computer capable of running anything at 120fps, so that aspect of the FG2421 will be kind of wasted for a while. And the lack of VESA mount is extremely annoying. My current setup is built around a good quality display arm, and I make use of it too, sometimes floating the display in the air entirely outside the table.

Another choice would be the Eizo FS2333. Also good colors and viewing angles, also low lag (lower lag actually), has a VESA mount. It would surely be nicer than my old display, but nothing really new: no 120Hz, no strobing backlight, no insane black levels. What to do? Both displays are available at a decent temporary discount, FG2421 is 420 euros while the FS2333 is 250 euros.

Branson

Do people still use a secondary card for physx or is that not a thing anymore? Like if I get a 780 and use my 580 for a physx card.

SleazyC

The thing is, don't i also need to buy something for it to have WiFi?
Cheapest and easiest way would be to buy a wireless USB dongle. You can also buy wireless cards that fit into your PCI slots but I don't know how available those are anymore. But if you are streaming from this machine wifi could impact what kind of quality you can stream at.

And what do I need to buy to control my movie media center (Plex) with my tv remote control?
Depending on what kind of remote you have you should be able to buy a bluetooth dongle or maybe even an IR receiver. I'm more familiar with the bluetooth dongle and less-so with the IR receiver.

Also my most important question; can I put on a HD movie on the HDTV while still doing something else on my PC monitor with my set-up?
If you are running Plex to a client that doesn't support native play you might have to transcode it and depending on the source bitrate + your settings in Plex it could really hammer your CPU. Really depends on what else you wanted to do during this time as to whether or not you can do it.

mkenyon

Banned
Ugh. I was going to stick to my old laggy Dell 2405fpw until an all-around great G-Sync display shows up on the market, but my display just died, and great G-Sync displays aren't even close to being out - for one, everything announced so far is TN and only has one Displayport.

The next best thing would seem to be an Eizo FG2421. I have long wanted a display with very good contrast and black levels, and I'm also curious about 120Hz and strobing backlights. However, until Silverstone FT05 comes out, I'm not going to have a computer capable of running anything at 120fps, so that aspect of the FG2421 will be kind of wasted for a while. And the lack of VESA mount is extremely annoying. My current setup is built around a good quality display arm, and I make use of it too, sometimes floating the display in the air entirely outside the table.

Another choice would be the Eizo FS2333. Also good colors and viewing angles, also low lag (lower lag actually), has a VESA mount. It would surely be nicer than my old display, but nothing really new: no 120Hz, no strobing backlight, no insane black levels. What to do? Both displays are available at a decent temporary discount, FG2421 is 420 euros while the FS2333 is 250 euros.
This might be of interest to you.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1438195/eizo-new-240hz-eizo-foris-fg2421-gaming-monitor/380#post_21158399

Note the post below as well. Easy as pie to drill another hole or two in your VESA plate for more stability.

The FG2421 is the one to get. CRT-like motion resolution with fantastic colors. It's the best gaming monitor available right now.

Water

display just died
Eizo FG2421
Eizo FS2333
What to do?
Fuck it, ordered the FG2421. Glorious 120hz strobed backlight 5000:1 future, here we come. I just hope I won't get a lemon and have to exchange the display a zillion times, apparently the QC has been pretty bad on FG2421s. Saw a lot of negative outcomes on a HardOCP thread.

Plugging that thing into my C2D/8800GTS desktop doesn't count as criminal display abuse, right? :p

Water

This might be of interest to you.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1438195/eizo-new-240hz-eizo-foris-fg2421-gaming-monitor/380#post_21158399

Note the post below as well. Easy as pie to drill another hole or two in your VESA plate for more stability.
Wow, thanks! I may well take that route if the extra holes will result in a configuration that is actually stable, and if my display arm plate allows for holes in those locations. Half the fun of the arm-mounted display is moving it dynamically in response to the situation, and mounting with just two lower screws looks way too risky.

Pachimari

Cheapest and easiest way would be to buy a wireless USB dongle. You can also buy wireless cards that fit into your PCI slots but I don't know how available those are anymore. But if you are streaming from this machine wifi could impact what kind of quality you can stream at.

Depending on what kind of remote you have you should be able to buy a bluetooth dongle or maybe even an IR receiver. I'm more familiar with the bluetooth dongle and less-so with the IR receiver.

If you are running Plex to a client that doesn't support native play you might have to transcode it and depending on the source bitrate + your settings in Plex it could really hammer your CPU. Really depends on what else you wanted to do during this time as to whether or not you can do it.

I'm streaming from a NAS already. But some of my movies I have stored locally and then just run it to the TV with HDMI cable.

I have a WiFi dongle for my old desktop which I don't find optimal. :/

I would just be on the internet on one monitor, while a movie runs on the tv. :)

kharma45

Palom

I'm hoping to build a new system soon. My old PC is fairly old (ca. 2007), so there's not much I can use from it. But, would I be able to reuse this power supply (ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V, 80 PLUS Certified)? It's a lot more wattage than I need, but any money I can save would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom