• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

zonezeus

I didn't expect such generosity from producers, I'm positively surprised. Thanks for quick answers, I can finally place my orders!

Guys, I don't know what to do. I'm getting the feeling that my PC is starting to get way too outdated and with the release of Dark Souls 2 nearing, I don't know whether my computer could still handle it on 1080p with decent, stable FPS.
Currently still using my good old:
Intel Core i5-2500k
AMD Radeon HD6970
Asus P8h77-v motherboard
8GB-1333 (I believe?)
Coolermaster GX 650W.
Running on Windows 8.1

I know it's all old, outdated and weak, but is there one element that is particularly more outdated and would require the most immediate upgrade and what would you guys recommend? I don't have enough money to do an entire overhaul, so I'm planning on upgrading piece by piece. My biggest immediate concern is basically that Dark Souls 2 will prove to be too heavy.

Maybe you could try overclocking the CPU. If you did that, you could buy a new graphics card like a 290 4GB! Thats are affordable!

I heard someone say that CPU upgrades have been slow over the last few years. they have been focusing on reducing CPU power because there is more money in laptop technology and such!

SleazyC

I know it's all old, outdated and weak, but is there one element that is particularly more outdated and would require the most immediate upgrade and what would you guys recommend? I don't have enough money to do an entire overhaul, so I'm planning on upgrading piece by piece. My biggest immediate concern is basically that Dark Souls 2 will prove to be too heavy.
The 2500k and 2600k should overclock incredibly well. I would maybe look into doing that and then upgrading the GPU like Vigilant Walrus suggested.

mkenyon

Banned
Guys, I don't know what to do. I'm getting the feeling that my PC is starting to get way too outdated and with the release of Dark Souls 2 nearing, I don't know whether my computer could still handle it on 1080p with decent, stable FPS.
Intel Core i5-2500k
AMD Radeon HD6970
Asus P8h77-v motherboard
8GB-1333 (I believe?)
Coolermaster GX 650W.
Running on Windows 8.1

It's not at all. I'd say get the game, and play it. If you want more performance, upgrade the GPU. But, I'd imagine a 6970 should handle Dark Souls II at 1080p just fine.

2500Ks are still top-notch processors.

@above posters, he has an H77 motherboard. No overclocking.

NoRéN

Heh, I didn't mean to make it sound all dramatic, but I posted after reading a lot of pages here, which are filled with rigs that would curbstomp mine. It has worked fine for me so far, but I'm starting to notice that the need for an upgrade is starting to slowly creep up on me. Again, don't know how demanding DS2 will be.

Scroll up and read the thread title. :)

your 2500k is fine

NoRéN

Purely anecdotal but I wanted to mention this.

I had done all the ssd optimization steps based on the previous threads. Noticed that my write speeds were very slow. Went through everything and figured out that disabling write cache was the culprit. ssd is back to normal.

Might now be the case with all ssd but if you have a Samsung EVO you may want to check that out.

mkenyon

Banned
Guys, what would be the benefit of going strictly SSD as opposed to having HDD and SDD combined?
Because then everything would be on the SSD.
Maybe, but I assumed it would probably have to be on low-medium quality with the build I got. I could easily live with medium, but I don't know if that's gonna happen. Depends on how they handle the PC version, I suppose. I might end up getting a new MB, just so I can overclock my 2500k and then focus on getting a new GPU (maybe 290 as recommended) in the future. How quickly I do that depends on how it handles some of the upcoming games.
Does that sound like a decent idea or am I missing something?
Sounds good.

But your PC should run DS2 just fine at Med-High, high likely.

With AMD out of the high performance segment, and the focus on mobile, it's like Intel used Bufudyne on processor improvements. A 2500K is not just fine, but still an absolute monster in gaming performance. To give you an idea of how powerful it is, overclocked to 4.5GHz, a single core has almost more compute than the entire PS4 CPU.

I finally did it! Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/M0v

LkKJhWP.jpg

Intel Core i5-2500k
AMD Radeon HD6970
Asus P8h77-v motherboard
8GB-1333 (I believe?)
Coolermaster GX 650W.
Running on Windows 8.1

I know it's all somewhat outdated, but is there one element that is particularly more outdated and would require the most immediate upgrade and what would you guys recommend? I don't have enough money to do an entire overhaul, so I'm planning on upgrading piece by piece. My biggest immediate concern is basically that Dark Souls 2 will prove to be too heavy.

That is slightly more powerful than I have (2500k and 6950), and I feel perfectly comfortable that I will be able to run Dark Souls 2. I doubt it will be a huge performance hog. If you would want to upgrade anything, upgrade your GPU, which is what I have been considering. But it is not really necessary yet so I'll at least wait until the next generation of GPUs.

hey guys I'm torn between these 2 monitors: Dell UltraSharp U2412m (240€) Vs Asus VS248H-P (177€) any suggestions? (I'm willing to spend 250€ max the less the better) I will use it for browsing and gaming (but I'm no cod freak who care about 2 ms lag, image quality is far more important to me)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I finally did it! Here is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/M0v

That motherboard is very pretty. I like your build
I'm looking at that same WiFi adapter for my future build. How is it performing so far?

Guys, what would be the benefit of going strictly SSD as opposed to having HDD and SDD combined?

I can't really think of any benefits besides it being slightly lower cost.

Haha yeah the motherboard is a beaut for never really being seen. I liked the TUF armor mainly because of how sturdy it makes the board feel when installing it. Wifi adapter works great. Just don't install their software, use the generic windows one.

Thanks for the heads up. What sort of speeds are you seeing out of it? (If your connection is > 50mbps)

That motherboard is very pretty. I like your build
I'm looking at that same WiFi adapter for my future build. How is it performing so far?

Haha yeah the motherboard is a beaut for never really being seen. I liked the TUF armor mainly because of how sturdy it makes the board feel when installing it. Wifi adapter works great. Just don't install their software, use the generic windows one.

Asiriya

Neo Member
While we are talking about selling cards, i don't suppose the old 4870 x2 has enough heft to be worth mining with? Things don't look very promising on ebay, perhaps I should have sold it a year ago...

Anyone in the UK tried to get their hands on a Haf XB EVO? Can't find any websites I know of selling them and Coolermaster have ignored my last two enquiries about trusted resellers (which makes me think I might not buy from them at all)...

I am interested if there's a release date for the Haf XC though, has anyone heard anything?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Wish I could :'(.

Maybe, but I assumed it would probably have to be on low-medium quality with the build I got. I could easily live with medium, but I don't know if that's gonna happen. Depends on how they handle the PC version, I suppose. I might end up getting a new MB, just so I can overclock my 2500k and then focus on getting a new GPU (maybe 290 as recommended) in the future. How quickly I do that depends on how it handles some of the upcoming games.
Does that sound like a decent idea or am I missing something?

Heh, I didn't mean to make it sound all dramatic, but I posted after reading a lot of pages here, which are filled with rigs that would curbstomp mine. It has worked fine for me so far, but I'm starting to notice that the need for an upgrade is starting to slowly creep up on me. Again, don't know how demanding DS2 will be.

don't let the product names with high numbers fool you, "your i5 2500k is fine" is right in the thread title. the cpu focus isn't on processing power right now, it's on literal power (which is good!), and gpus jumps arent as big either. the 6970 will probably curbstomp DS2. my gtx460 plays DS1 at 1440p. like damn.

Sordid

Will a pair of Geforce 755m's in SLI finally let me play pc games at 1080p? My old Dell laptop has gone a bit wonky & I need a smaller one so I managed to nab a cheapish Lenovo to replace it with. I probably should've asked here first but I had a voucher that was expiring!

It's got an i7 4700MQ too.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Will a pair of Geforce 755m's in SLI finally let me play pc games at 1080p? My old Dell laptop has gone a bit wonky & I need a smaller one so I managed to nab a cheapish Lenovo to replace it with. I probably should've asked here first but I had a voucher that was expiring!

It's got an i7 4700MQ too.

Is this the one you bought?

kharma45

270, or 270X?

Interesting to note that's Sapphire's R9 270X 4GB (£163) is only ~£19 more than their 2GB version. Even if the extra 2GB is largely redundant for the next year or two, having the overhead for mods and stuff would be a nice addition for not very much more money.

But then, £163 range brings you dangerously close to low end 760 territory.

Both the same GPU, only difference is clock speed. A 270 can be had for £130 usually for the MSI version. I'd not bother with the 4GB one myself, not worth it on a GPU of this power imo.

Right now the 270's are $30 more than a 660 though, and the 270X's are $10-20 cheaper than a 760.

With their price inflations currently they don't seem to be value oriented if doing a budget or mid-range build.

Price isn't inflated in the UK.

I've seen a lot of talk about the Bios revision problems on the D3HP, is that an issue on the UD3H as well? Something along the lines of systems being unstable unless you upgrade to version F5.

Not that I know of, I'd need to have a Google search.

You can pick up an MSI R9 270 (not X) for £130 at Scan . I just bought one of these and it's currently running overclocked to 1000 MHz with memory up to 1425 - I haven't tried pushing it further yet - 1050 / 1450 awaits tonight...

Yeah keep pushing. Core clock speed is more important than memory, it's not that big a deal. Keep pushing and try for around 1.2GHz core if you can.

Hmm, so might be worth trying to sell mine (MSI boost edition), for some thing nvidia based.. Never sold anything on ebay though.. What would be a good UK price?

UK prices aren't inflated like the US ones are, you'll not get the crazy prices here like they do over there.

Question about airflow.

My build is using a Corsair 350d case and an H60 cooler.

Was going to set up the front two fans as intake, the top fans as exhaust and the rear where the H60 is as an intake in a push/pull.

I've seen others switch the H60 fans and use them as an exhaust and use the top and front as intakes. Would this setup be better? Hoping someone has a similar case/cooler setup.

Thanks for any help,

mkenyon

Banned
Exhaust, definitely. The air in the case is going to be nearly the same as general ambient. Put it as intake, and you end up putting that heat near your GPU, which typically is the loudest component in a PC.

I need some help folks. My old system with a q6600 was throwing a CPU fan error at the bios boot screen. I just replaced the motherboard, CPU, heatsink/fan, ram, HDD. It was working flawlessly for the past week or so since the upgrade. But now I'm seeing the same error again with the new motherboard and CPU. It's been only two week! I can't imagine the new CPU and heatsink going bad already.

HELP!

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
CPU: Core i3-ivy bridge

The case and psu are still unchanged and so is the optical drive and videocard.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Do you guys use any Chrome Addons to get better scrolling? Specifically with the scrollwheel held down. When you hold it down and scroll, if you scroll finely you notice theres a very rigid set of steps when it changes speed and it feels like a click dial. Would love to actually feel like I'm gripping the webpage.

-Deimos

Do you guys use any Chrome Addons to get better scrolling? Specifically with the scrollwheel held down. When you hold it down and scroll, if you scroll finely you notice theres a very rigid set of steps when it changes speed and it feels like a click dial. Would love to actually feel like I'm gripping the webpage.

My hold-down scroll works pretty well. Maybe it's an issue with your settings?

NoRéN;99617588 said:
And it all fit in that lego?

NICE!

lulz

I keep flip-flopping on the GPU! What should I get? I am unlikely to be gaming in more than 1080p, but I want the top settings in a good frame-rate. Been thinking of getting a 770 but do I need that much?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I keep flip-flopping on the GPU! What should I get? I am unlikely to be gaming in more than 1080p, but I want the top settings in a good frame-rate. Been thinking of getting a 770 but do I need that much?
760 is best bang for the buck card, unless you go used.

kharma45

Right. I've got the funds.

Do I click buy?

(Already have Corsair 600w PSU and Corsair 200R case)

Would you change anything?

IhJPDLn.png

770 cheaper here and free Assassin's Creed IV http://www.dabs.com/products/best-v...e=awin&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_content=AW00

You might prefer though to buy from Amazon as Palit's RMA in the UK is through retailer only.

Change your RAM to this to save cash http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0069OG1RM/

Motherboard I'd spend a bit more on but it depends how your budget is fairing already.

CCC won't let me go past 1050 (slider is hardcoded to stop at 1050)

Use something like ASUS GPU Tweak or Sapphire Trixx then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom