• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr stroke

Has anyone here ever purchased anything from ShopBLT before? They still have reasonable prices on 280X/290/290Xs (though out of stock, with more being ordered) and I'd like any information about their quality.

Yes

Blt is awesome
Never had an issue

mkenyon

Banned
I got a pretty noisy R9 280X videocard, anyone know when new aftermarket coolers for these cards will be introduced. Arctic Accelero Xtreme III is only confirmed on the 270X and 290X.
It's the same card as the 7970. Anything for the 7970 will work on the 280x, as they're literally the same card.

AJLma

NoRéN;99499415 said:
You could probably sell them and get one single powerful card.

Yea I would definitely sell them and stalk eBay for a 780/aftermarket R9 290 for $500ish.

I just sold my 7970 GHz for $410 and bought an R9 290 for $515. After I work the numbers I effectively got a R9 290 with an aftermarket cooler for about $350.

At this point I don't think AMD cards will ever settle back down to their original retail prices. Even if Bitcoin loses a ton of value tomorrow, the currency is still incredibly valuable and it seems like it's here to stay. Holding on to previous generation cards is kind of a waste when you can sell them for massive profit and walk away with a GTX 780 or more.

Yeah, I've been thinking about selling my 7950 for an upgrade. I don't have two, by the way. I was just entertaining the idea of it for The Witcher 3, I'll probably just go for a single 8xx card or just accept whatever my 7950 will give me in W3.

AJLma

GTX 770 is a considerable upgrade from a 7950, and if you play your cards right it might not cost you anything but a little bit of time.

EDIT: I only say this because IMO, it's more important to preserve the value of your machine so as to not lose money in the long-term. Where if bitcoin did happen to crash, your 7950 would be worth about $200, while a GTX 770 is worth about $100 more and is a faster, better card.

elkeffe

Neo Member
Hey, can I get some feedback on my first build? Will I be able to sli down the line with this power supply? If so I think I'll jump on the case and psu right now as they seem to be a good deal.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.66 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1093.56

Edit: I decided to go in for the case and psu as the deal was about to expire. I hope it was the right move. Anyway, I still need to add a network card and optical drive if someone has a recommendation.

Alex

GTX 770 is a considerable upgrade from a 7950, and if you play your cards right it might not cost you anything but a little bit of time.

EDIT: I only say this because IMO, it's more important to preserve the value of your machine so as to not lose money in the long-term. Where if bitcoin did happen to crash, your 7950 would be worth about $200, while a GTX 770 is worth about $100 more and is a faster, better card.

It's an upgrade, but a 770 isn't a truly significant upgrade over a 7950 unless you have a real dud. The 7950s effortlessly overclock to such extreme extents that they punch way, way above their weight class.

We're talking about a card that's 800mhz on reference but regularly hit 1200+ on air without breaking a sweat.

That said, with BItcoin stuff it's all a bit moot. You can often find 770s, good ones, for 290-320 brand new whereas a brand new 7950 with a quality cooler on it is like...400-420 right now.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Not exactly gaming related, but I made a thread in the OT some may be interested in checking out:

NVIDIA’s Wil Braithwaite on the effect of GPUs in visual effects over the last 10 yrs

iYYAVdo.png

EjxDmVf.png

5yW3USU.png

NoRéN

Yeah, I've been thinking about selling my 7950 for an upgrade. I don't have two, by the way. I was just entertaining the idea of it for The Witcher 3, I'll probably just go for a single 8xx card or just accept whatever my 7950 will give me in W3.

You were entertaining the idea which means you were going to spend $350 for a 7950 anyway. Take that money and sell your current 7950. Then with that cash get a 780 or 780ti.

So I'm slowly progressing with my build
  • bought 4770k because it was on sale with Staples discount
  • Bought Corsair 600t and 4 Corsair AF120 x4 (Amazon Deal)

thinking of going with Coolmaster Evo 212 (not OCing)
then put money on GTX 780 ti

Raysoul

So doing some research on some cheap PSU, I found these:

Seasonic (S12II) 520watts PSU 80Plus Bronze
Seasonic (M12II) 520watts 80Plus Bronze

Would also like to know your thoughts on these cheaper models:

Corsair CX 500watts (CX500M) 80Plus Bronze, modular
Corsair CX 600watts (CX600)

Thanks.

Parsnip

So, does anyone here have the Seasonic M12 II Bronze 650W PSU?

I bought one like maybe a month ago, and frankly I'm disappointed.
First impression was that it looks sleek.
Second impression was that the EPS12V cable is too short to do any meaningful cable management with (on my case anyway).
Third impression is that it's kind of loud. When the box says "super silent" and "Smart & Silent Fan Control: Intelligent thermal control balances between noise and cooling", I kind of expected something more silent.

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
Could someone help me with choosing a new monitor for my PC? I have been reading a lot of reviews, but I have to say i'm confused,especially when it comes to hertz and input lag and which kind of monitor to get. I have looked at the screens in the OP, but I'm not sure which of the screens are for me.

I will be using my pc for gaming primarily, but I will not be aiming for anything higher than 60 fps. The most important thing for me is image quality, but I also would like to have a screen that's reasonably fast,with no ghosting and blur. I play a lot of different games, but not very competitively, so it's all about the experience for me. 3D support would be cool, although i use an AMD card as of now.

I would prefer a 27 inch, with 2500x something resolution if possible or higher. When it comes to personal preference I haven't really seen a lot of great screens in action, but I have to say I dig Apples iMac displays. 24 inch 1080p is also an option.

I will also be using the monitor for school work, mostly text.

Any recommendations? Is there any point in me getting a lightning fast monitor when i don't intend to go higher than 60 fps?

I''m looking for a good screen, that i can use for many years. Price isn't a huge concern, but I will not go much higher than 500 dollars.

Much appreciated!

kharma45

Welp, that just gave me reason to sell my 7950. Looking at a 780 or 780ti hopefully.

Maybe I'll just get a 770, who knows.

I wouldn't bother with the 770 unless you can trade and make money, otherwise it's a sideways move. 780 and above or a 290 and above are the only worthy upgrades.

So doing some research on some cheap PSU, I found these:

Seasonic (S12II) 520watts PSU 80Plus Bronze
Seasonic (M12II) 520watts 80Plus Bronze

Would also like to know your thoughts on these cheaper models:

Corsair CX 500watts (CX500M) 80Plus Bronze, modular
Corsair CX 600watts (CX600)

Thanks.

Those cheap Corsair's aren't great. Lots of DOA units.

Guys, I'm torn on what graphics card to get.

Was going to get something basic, like a 660, and upgrade later.

The changed my mind to a 770...

Now I don't know what to do. Is it worth getting something less than a 770 and waiting to see what's around the corner.

My build is otherwise:

i5 4570k
8GB
Gigabye Z87 motherboard
128GB SSD for OS
600W PSU (Corsair one)
Corsair 200R case

SleazyC

Now I don't know what to do. Is it worth getting something less than a 770 and waiting to see what's around the corner.

My build is otherwise:

i5 4570k
8GB
Gigabye Z87 motherboard
128GB SSD for OS
600W PSU (Corsair one)
Corsair 200R case
Nvidia will be releasing graphics cards this year but the first ones out of the gate will be the flagship cards so unless you want to spend a good chunk of change I would go with the 770. If you are in the US (not sure if they offer this globally) I would pick up an EVGA card as they (I think they still do this) have a 90-day step up program where you can trade up to a better graphics card within 90 days.

Could someone help me with choosing a new monitor for my PC? I have been reading a lot of reviews, but I have to say i'm confused,especially when it comes to hertz and input lag and which kind of monitor to get. I have looked at the screens in the OP, but I'm not sure which of the screens are for me.

I will be using my pc for gaming primarily, but I will not be aiming for anything higher than 60 fps. The most important thing for me is image quality, but I also would like to have a screen that's reasonably fast,with no ghosting and blur. I play a lot of different games, but not very competitively, so it's all about the experience for me. 3D support would be cool, although i use an AMD card as of now.

I would prefer a 27 inch, with 2500x something resolution if possible or higher. When it comes to personal preference I haven't really seen a lot of great screens in action, but I have to say I dig Apples iMac displays. 24 inch 1080p is also an option.

I will also be using the monitor for school work, mostly text.

Any recommendations? Is there any point in me getting a lightning fast monitor when i don't intend to go higher than 60 fps?

I''m looking for a good screen, that i can use for many years. Price isn't a huge concern, but I will not go much higher than 500 dollars.

Much appreciated!
Most good 27" monitors are going to run you $500+ dollars (usually closer to $600). Unless you want to go Korean in which case you can get a very good monitor for about $300-$350. The downsides to these are the build quality is pretty bad and warranty is non-existant unless you buy a third-party warranty. If you want little to know ghosting you are probably going to want to look at TN panels, which are cheaper but also have worse color reproduction and viewing angles than other kinds of monitors. As for specific recommendations, I haven't done much research into monitors lately but I know that a lot of e-sports organizations like using this Asus monitor because it is fast (think its this one):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313

Hey, can I get some feedback on my first build? Will I be able to sli down the line with this power supply?
Two 770GTX might be doable on that power supply but I would check with some other knowledgable GAFers before doing so. The power supply is very good so it might be able to handle that load.

Anyway, I still need to add a network card and optical drive if someone has a recommendation.
Your motherboard should have a network card built-in so you shouldn't need an external one unless you want something fancy like a killerNIC

crun

Banned
you can get about 25-30% more performance from 780 when overclocking it (on air)

got my new cpu and mobo installed and overclocked. (stable)

Code:
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4670k @ 4.4 GHz + Mugen 2 rev. B
MOBO: Asrock Z87 Extreme 4
GPU: Asus GTX 780 DirectCu II @ 1254/1550 
RAM: 2x4 GoodRam 1333 MHz 9-9-9-24 @1800 MHz 9/10/8/22

memory overclocking surprised me on haswell. my cheapo memory didn't want to boot @1800MHz unless something like 11-11-11-30 on previous mobo (LGA 1156 - gigabyte p55a-ud4)

kiyomi

My build is otherwise:

i5 4570k
8GB
Gigabye Z87 motherboard
128GB SSD for OS
600W PSU (Corsair one)
Corsair 200R case

Looks like I'm in an identical position to you, almost an identical build and budget by the sounds of it.

Picking out a GPU is proving to be a nightmare, not knowing whether to go for a 660, or a 270X or to step up to a 760/770 or 280X. Not knowing whether to wait for Maxwell, not knowing whether to go for more than 2GB VRAM - it's a total headache. :p

kharma45

Looks like I'm in an identical position to you, almost an identical build and budget by the sounds of it.

Picking out a GPU is proving to be a nightmare, not knowing whether to go for a 660, or a 270X or to step up to a 760/770 or 280X. Not knowing whether to wait for Maxwell, not knowing whether to go for more than 2GB VRAM - it's a total headache. :p

With the 660 remember it's only really a 1.5GB phone due to the 192 bit bus. A 270 is a better buy at the lower mid range.

Aesthet1c

Can anyone recommend me a good sub $150 LGA1150 motherboard? I saw the Biostar's in the OP but I need one with an optical connection for my sound system.

Currently I'm looking at the Asus Z87-A and the Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP.

They both kind of have mixed reviews. I've always bought Gigabyte and been happy, but this one sounds like it has some firmware issues, so I'm kind of wanting to look at other options.

kharma45

Can anyone recommend me a good sub $150 LGA1150 motherboard? I saw the Biostar's in the OP but I need one with an optical connection for my sound system.

They both kind of have mixed reviews. I've always bought Gigabyte and been happy, but this one sounds like it has some firmware issues, so I'm kind of wanting to look at other options.

UD3H is $140 after rebate http://www.microcenter.com/product/414782/GA-Z87X-UD3H_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

SleazyC

Can snag the Asus Z87-Plus for $137.99 if you use the promo code EMCPHPF36

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131980&Tpk=N82E16813131980

Seems like a solid board, nothing special.

kharma45

The ASUS Z87 is good but the UD3H is the best mid range board you can get for Z87. It's probably my favourite of them all, best blend of features and price.

kiyomi

With the 660 remember it's only really a 1.5GB phone due to the 192 bit bus. A 270 is a better buy at the lower mid range.

270, or 270X?

Interesting to note that's Sapphire's R9 270X 4GB (£163) is only ~£19 more than their 2GB version. Even if the extra 2GB is largely redundant for the next year or two, having the overhead for mods and stuff would be a nice addition for not very much more money.

But then, £163 range brings you dangerously close to low end 760 territory.

HiResDes

Could I potentially upgrade the PSU and GPU and have a good gaming rig I were to buy this desktop

attachment.php

Specs:
PRODUCT INFO
Tackle any challenge at your home or office with this potent HP Envy Desktop. This sleek desktop features the powerful specs you need to smoothly run multimedia software and games, making it the perfect PC for even the most demanding users.
Build your home office around this HP Envy desktop and take your productivity to the next level.
FEATURES
Processor: Intel Core i5 3330s 2.7GHz (up to 3.2 GHz turbo) quad-core processor
RAM: 12GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD Integrated graphics
Storage: 1TB (7200 rpm) hard drive
Optical Drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner drive
Communication: Integrated Bluetooth 4.0 and Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n featuring Single-band (2.4Ghz) 1X1 technology
Audio: Integrated IDT 92HD73E Audio, 7.1 channel audio & Beats Audio support
Keyboard: USB keyboard
Mouse/Touchpad/Input device: USB optical mouse
Memory card reader: supports Secure Digital (SD), Mini Secure Digital (mini-SD), Memory Stick (MS), including Memory Stick Pro, Memory Stick Duo, Memory Stick Pro Duo, Compact Flash I, Compact Flash II, IBM Microdrive (MD), Smart Media (SM)
Ports: 2x USB 3.0 (top), microphone, headphone, 8x USB 2.0 (4x front & 4x back), LAN (ethernet), DVI-D, DVI-I, Audio center/subwoofer, Audio rear speaker out, Audio side speaker out, Audio line-in, Audio line-out, Microphone
Power Supply: Internal 300W (100V-240V)
Dimensions: 16.2” height x 6.8” width x 16.7” length
Weight: 21.61 pounds

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Right now the 270's are $30 more than a 660 though, and the 270X's are $10-20 cheaper than a 760.

With their price inflations currently they don't seem to be value oriented if doing a budget or mid-range build.

SleazyC

Could I potentially upgrade the PSU and GPU and have a good gaming rig I were to buy this desktop
I'm not sure of what the inside of the computer looks like but the PSU and GPU are two components that are usually very easily replaced.

The CPU on that machine is pretty bad though. If you want a gaming machine I'm not sure if that CPU could cut it.

Yeah, although I meant 4670K not 4570. Basically the 840$ build with a nicer graphics card Z87-compatible motherboard and bigger PSU.

Don't even get me started on AMD or nVidia

Aesthet1c

The ASUS Z87 is good but the UD3H is the best mid range board you can get for Z87. It's probably my favourite of them all, best blend of features and price.

I've seen a lot of talk about the Bios revision problems on the D3HP, is that an issue on the UD3H as well? Something along the lines of systems being unstable unless you upgrade to version F5.

HiResDes

I'm not sure of what the inside of the computer looks like but the PSU and GPU are two components that are usually very easily replaced.

The CPU on that machine is pretty bad though. If you want a gaming machine I'm not sure if that CPU could cut it.

Thanks I'll wait for a better deal.

270, or 270X?

Interesting to note that's Sapphire's R9 270X 4GB (£163) is only ~£19 more than their 2GB version. Even if the extra 2GB is largely redundant for the next year or two, having the overhead for mods and stuff would be a nice addition for not very much more money.

But then, £163 range brings you dangerously close to low end 760 territory.

You can pick up an MSI R9 270 (not X) for £130 at Scan . I just bought one of these and it's currently running overclocked to 1000 MHz with memory up to 1425 - I haven't tried pushing it further yet - 1050 / 1450 awaits tonight...

HiResDes

How much are you looking the spend? These pre-built systems can get down to some pretty low prices but you might be able to price something out you can built that could be in the same ballpark.

$700 Max, but I don't like that budget rig in the OP at all.

NoRéN

Is Samsung Magician a good program to run ssd benchmarks?

Also, anyone here succesfully update the firmware on a samsung evo?

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Alright, so I bought an evga hadron air case for a new build I'm doing. I've heard that the psu can get rather noisy so I ordered one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQLT0M/?tag=neogaf0e-20 thinking I would replace the fan in the included psu with it. I'm now worried that the noctua fan won't cool the psu enough, and my whole brand new rig will blow up. Should I be okay? Or was buying this fan a dumb dumb move? :-(

mkenyon

Banned
Alright, so I bought an evga hadron air case for a new build I'm doing. I've heard that the psu can get rather noisy so I ordered one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQLT0M/?tag=neogaf0e-20 thinking I would replace the fan in the included psu with it. I'm now worried that the noctua fan won't cool the psu enough, and my whole brand new rig will blow up. Should I be okay? Or was buying this fan a dumb dumb move? :-(
I'd go to the EVGA forums to check.

HoosTrax

RMA Update:

Both my Sapphire and WD RMA packages arrived at their respective offices in CA on Thursday of last week.

- WD sent out the replacement on Friday of last week, via UPS 2-Day Air, and it should be waiting for me when I get home this evening. Should just be another 2TB Caviar Black, assuming they haven't run out of them for some reason and decide to replace it with something else. Roughly $5 shipping on a 2lb package, paid by me, with WD's discount applied.

- I haven't heard anything from Sapphire's RMA processor yet, although I do know that my package was accepted and signed for by them, so it's with them. Roughly $20 shipping on a 3lb package, paid by me, with $6 of that being insurance for $400 declared value, and the rest being actual shipping cost, since Sapphire does not provide a prepaid shipping label option.

zonezeus

Ran into another problem, need your help PC GAF. What cables and how many of them do I need to connect WD Blue HDD, OCZ Vertex450 SSD and DVD drive to my mobo (Gigabyte Z87-UD3H)? I'm guessing none of them is provided with either drive or motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom