• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just built a PC for my brother using the Biostar Z87W board. I've got a problem with it though. Sometimes when I power it on it displays a B4 code on the motherboard. Reading the manual tells me that it's a USB hot plug error. I checked to see if I plugged in the USB connectors in correctly and they were. Even switched to a different USB 2.0 pin set and I still get the same problem. USB 3.0 cord is fine.

Anybody know what I should do to make it stop? Should I try a BIOS update?

mkenyon

Banned
You were saying I should look at a itx. I already was looking at the asrock z77 extreme4 board which is an atx board.
P8Z77-I.

You'll end up breaking even with the Node 304 being cheaper than the 605. Check out the SFF build guide for the rest of the parts. Third post in the thread.

NoRéN

Sweet! Best Buy has the Samsung EVO 250gb for $90. Was able to get staples to match. Guess I can start buying part for a build to keep downstairs.

I hate having to fight over who gets to game on the pc with my spouse.

No Love

Banned
NoRéN;100340684 said:
Sweet! Best Buy has the Samsung EVO 250gb for $90. Was able to get staples to match. Guess I can start buying part for a build to keep downstairs.

I hate having to fight over who gets to game on the pc with my spouse.

I need 3 or 4 for that price. Hot damn.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
i couldnt do amd procs because i like to consider myself environmentally conscious. i also want to pick up a plat psu for the same reason. power draw is the main reason id be reluctant to sli too, id feel like an environmental asshole.
Eh, computers don't draw that much in the scheme of things and idle power is alright on both.

I only care because my room gets way too hot during summer. :(
01) Can somebody hear recommend me an IR receiver?
I want it, so that I can use my remote control to control Plex on my computer. I have a Samsung HDTV.

02) Also about Windows 7, should I go for Home Premium or Professional?
Simple question is you get Pro if you need XP mode or to join a Domain
Was a fun thread. Wish it were still active.
It made me memory error my 670.
Good thread.
Wow, I never knew this existed! I've been after something like this for ages, my house is super dusty and I've got to clean my laptop fans out pretty regularly. Do you know if there is a cheaper version? It's £90 (~$147) on Amazon.co.uk atm :(
Jesus those things used to be like $45.
They are super nice though.
Hey guys. I'm running a nice rig but to max out ff14 it says I need a better video card.

I'm currently using a 2500k and a 560ti with two gigs of memory.. I think.

But what's the best bang for the buck I could get? 660ti?

I want to upgrade but I don't want buy something that's unnecessary. I'm pretty much fine with a card that's good enough.
760. You'll see a nice boost if you overclock your CPU as well, should really help smooth out your minimum frames.
gputempsrbspy.png

This is with the OC and running benchmarks for an hour.

Of note, the card is already factory overclocked a good amount and then I added 30 to the core and 225mhz to the memory.

I also want to clarify that my fan profile could be even more aggressive and the GPU's reached those temps without even utilizing the full fan strength. I could have made the profile go to 100 at around 70C so it's not the most aggressive profile.

EDIT 3 - Fans are really quiet even at 80%.
Yeah the Windforce is stupid quiet. I have mine idle at 20% fan speed at 45-50C. I cap it at a max of 50% unless I'm benching.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
And again if you're not looking to SLI swap away from that reference 780.

i need to ask for a clarification on this -- since im not doing SLI at the onset, how can i tell a video card is the reference 780 or not? Does it really matter what I get in the end?

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)

also, a friend of mine was saying that i wouldn't need to overclock immediately since CPU bottlenecks won't be something to worry about for a while. do i need to still get a 3rd party cooler with my 4770k or should i get something later on when i decide to overclock the CPU?

No Love

Banned
i need to ask for a clarification on this -- since im not doing SLI at the onset, how can i tell a video card is the reference 780 or not? Does it really matter what I get in the end?

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($489.99 @ NCIX US)

also, a friend of mine was saying that i wouldn't need to overclock immediately since CPU bottlenecks won't be something to worry about for a while. do i need to still get a 3rd party cooler with my 4770k or should i get something later on when i decide to overclock the CPU?

That EVGA is not reference, which is good. That ACX cooler kicks ass. My 780 @ 1.25 ghz and overvolted never went above 68c @ 60% fan speed.

That's the one you want!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim

Tablo

Just get the good 3rd party cooler to begin with, then just overclock when you feel you need/want too.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Just get the good 3rd party cooler to begin with, then just overclock when you feel you need/want too.

sounds good.

That EVGA is not reference, which is good. That ACX cooler kicks ass. My 780 @ 1.25 ghz and overvolted never went above 68c @ 60% fan speed.

That's the one you want!

alright cool.

i've picked out the rest of the items i've decided to buy, now i just need to buy the GPU -- does anyone know when the best time to buy those things are or is it kind of a crap shoot? Is nVidia supposed to announce something new soon that I should wait for?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Eh, computers don't draw that much in the scheme of things and idle power is alright on both.

I only care because my room gets way too hot during summer. :(

yeessss, talk me into it. goood goooood.

yeah, i did a little research after that post and sli gpus pull about as much wattage under load as a large tv (~400watts). I guess that isn't too bad. ill get a plat psu and turn down the ac to make it up to mother nature :]

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new CPU cooler. I currently have a Noctua NH-U9B. In my PC building noobness I didn't know it was a compact cooler. Basically I'm looking to upgrade. I don't want to go liquid and I'm willing to spend up to about $80 for it. Actually I'm probably more flexible on price...

I have my eyes set on the Noctua NH-D14 but I'm not sure if it would fit my Mid tower case (Antec Three Hundred two). I'm obsessed with the db level at idle. I like to hear my clocks ticking over my PC fans.

I'm basically gearing up for the Vegas heat coming soon and ambient temperatures in the room this PC is in is easily going to be 80+ depending on if the AC is on. My compact fan would probably do the job going into summer but I loathe the idea of removing the voltage limiters and making the fans whine.

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new CPU cooler. I currently have a Noctua NH-U9B. In my PC building noobness I didn't know it was a compact cooler. Basically I'm looking to upgrade. I don't want to go liquid and I'm willing to spend up to about $80 for it. Actually I'm probably more flexible on price...

I have my eyes set on the Noctua NH-D14 but I'm not sure if it would fit my Mid tower case (Antec Three Hundred two). I'm obsessed with the db level at idle. I like to hear my clocks ticking over my PC fans.

I'm basically gearing up for the Vegas heat coming soon and ambient temperatures in the room this PC is in is easily going to be 80+ depending on if the AC is on. My compact fan would probably do the job going into summer but I loathe the idea of removing the voltage limiters and making the fans whine.

I have this case and the NH-D14 fits in there fine. We had a bit of a heat wave a few weeks back here in Australia and the cooler did a great job. I can't hear it at all when idling and when it gets loud it's still a lot quieter than the old stock cooler I had.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, I think my Mother Board is starting to crap out on me, since I am getting memory corruption dispute using ram I know is good. So, its time to swap a few parts.

What's the CPU market look like? I'm guessing the Intel i5-2500k is still good, but I'm seeing it sold out.

I want to get for about $300 a new Mother Board, CPU, and likely a new set of Ram since I'm still only 4GB, but I'm willing to spend more for a good CPU if needed. I want a CPU thats good at running Dolphin, since its the biggest disappointment with my Phenomn 2. Don't really have any requirements outside of that, other then I would like to upgrade to a better video card in like 6 months (I am using a GTX 460 ) What do you all suggest?

Here is the case and power supply I'm current using:
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227
Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341039

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Wow the i7 4770K Haswell is already half a year old. How time flies. When is the next kickass CPU coming out, anyways?
Never.
+5-10% increases per year forever until the universe collapses.
Is it a good idea to "future-proof" a motherboard?
Can't anymore. New socket for everything.
If you mean buy a Z87 with an i3 then yes you should because CPUs are barely getting faster.

That's a very solid cooler, what are your load temps looking like on that cooler? 80F+ ambient is just another 5-10C which is fine.

Are you overclocked? What voltage and CPU?
What's the best software to do it?
I believe Windows has a built in cloning software. At work I use Acronis.
Ok, I think my Mother Board is starting to crap out on me, since I am getting memory corruption dispute using ram I know is good. So, its time to swap a few parts.

What's the CPU market look like? I'm guessing the Intel i5-2500k is still good, but I'm seeing it sold out.

I want to get for about $300 a new Mother Board, CPU, and likely a new set of Ram since I'm still only 4GB, but I'm willing to spend more for a good CPU if needed. I want a CPU thats good at running Dolphin, since its the biggest disappointment with my Phenomn 2. Don't really have any requirements outside of that, other then I would like to upgrade to a better video card in like 6 months (I am using a GTX 460 ) What do you all suggest?

Here is the case and power supply I'm current using:
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227
Power Supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341039
Have you left Memtest 86+ run overnight? Also sometimes it won't show errors, I've also seen software installs go bad.

Either way if you are on a super budget you pickup a used 2500K for $130-$170 and pickup a Z77 board like the ASUS LK or MSI GD-45 / GD-65. Actually the Biostar Z77 is stupid cheap if you are strapped as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138353

Otherwise I'd go for the i5 stuff in the OP. Any gen i5 you pick will demolish Dolphin, especially after you get it to 4.2Ghz.

UrgentPS

Neo Member
A friend asked me to put a nice gaming system together with a budget of €1500 and I came up with this. Looking good? Thought I'd ask GAF if everything seems alright, just to be save!

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo
Memory: Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 2x8 Vengeance LP
GPU: ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW, 120 GB SSD
HDD: Western Digital Blue, 1 TB
Disk Drive: LG GH24NS
Power Supply: Seasonic G-550
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R

Price: €1535,28

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
A friend asked me to put a nice gaming system together with a budget of €1500 and I came up with this. Looking good? Thought I'd ask GAF if everything seems alright, just to be save!

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K
Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo
Memory: Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1600 2x8 Vengeance LP
GPU: ASUS GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW, 120 GB SSD
HDD: Western Digital Blue, 1 TB
Disk Drive: LG GH24NS
Power Supply: Seasonic G-550
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R

Price: €1535,28
I'm going to swap out the UD3H for something else, but I'm not sure what yet.
The rest of the parts look great, but I'd get a 250GB SSD if possible.
Needs a 780? A 760 or 770 is extremely passable and since you are in EU a 280 or 280X is also a great deal (not marked as much up like in NA).

Needs a 780? A 760 or 770 is extremely passable and since you are in EU a 280 or 280X is also a great deal (not marked as much up like in NA).

I would sooner drop the CPU down a bit than the GPU. An i5 would do fine for most tasks and if you really wanted the extra threads and didn't care much for overclocking you could get a budget Xeon for the 4c/8t at an i5 price. If you're spending that much on--presumably--a gaming rig, getting a bigger SSD over a top end GPU doesn't make a lot of sense.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
my RMA'd 7950 boost is being delivered this morning. Good to have a proper GPU back (been limited on what I can play with just integrated graphics), but I half hoped they'd have given me credit so I could have grabbed a 780. Oh well.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I would sooner drop the CPU down a bit than the GPU. An i5 would do fine for most tasks and if you really wanted the extra threads and didn't care much for overclocking you could get a budget Xeon for the 4c/8t at an i5 price. If you're spending that much on--presumably--a gaming rig, getting a bigger SSD over a top end GPU doesn't make a lot of sense.
Wow my eyes glossed right over that. I would suggest an i5 as well for the 'cut'.

I went i5 to i7 and it does jack.
Is this a good headset to buy?

Sennheiser PC363D
It is a good headset yes. Can find something a bit more value with compromises, but it's good from what I read / heard. It is in the OP.

kharma45

I've been looking for alternatives since there has been a few issues with it of late, mainly errors if you try to use 4 DIMMs of RAM.

The ASUS Z87-A might be a contender, or the Biostar Z87X.

To be honest though none of the Z87 boards are really performing well.

I've been looking for alternatives since there has been a few issues with it of late, mainly errors if you try to use 4 DIMMs of RAM.

The ASUS Z87-A might be a contender, or the Biostar Z87X.

To be honest though none of the Z87 boards are really performing well.

It's more that none of them are performing poorly. It's the first Intel Chipset in like 4 years to launch without one glaring flaw.

UrgentPS

Neo Member

Wow my eyes glossed right over that. I would suggest an i5 as well for the 'cut'.

I went i5 to i7 and it does jack.

My friend is the type of guy that won't upgrade his PC in the next 4 years, so wouldn't it be better to just leave the i7 in? I mean, there surely must come a time when a i7 will outperform a i5 with gaming, right? And he's OK with the current total price, so it's not like I need to trim down the costs. A bigger SSD would be nice though, I'll look in to that. And although a 770 or 280x is more than enough for now, I think I'll stick with the 780. As I said, he's doesn't really feel like upgrading in say 2 years.

Thanks for the quick replies all!

riflen

Has there been any news/leaks about the 800 series / AMD equivalent recently?

This is the first Maxwell GPU. There have been leaks of Gigabyte and MSI cards using this GPU, so it's all but confirmed at this point.

http://videocardz.com/49498/nvidia-geforce-gtx-750-gtx-750-ti-preview-leaks

It'll be a replacement for GK106 which is used on GTX 660 and 650 Ti cards. So, nothing interesting really if you're holding out for the higher-end Maxwell GPUs. By all accounts we'll be waiting all year for those to arrive.

Nakazato

Thoughts on refurbished GPU's?

I'm looking at EVGA's B-stock (refurbed), and their prices for 780 Ti's and 780 Ti Classifieds are pretty darn good. $620 and $640, respectively.

I'm on the fence, but for anyone who's considering, here's a link: http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8
You know what that is a big help I might buy a 760 4gb from here or a 770 these prices are with in my budget.... Well the 760s are

Wulfegang

Hi all. I recently built a new PC and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this will last me for a while or had any suggestions on what I should replace if anything. I welcome any advice, critical or not. Thanks in advance.

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Intel Z87
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell OC'd 4 GHz Quad-Core
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless Mouse
HDD 1: Intel 530 Series 2.5" 180GB SATA III
HDD 2: Western Digital Black 1TB 7200 RPM
HDD 3: Seagate 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display: Dell 23" 2312HM IPS Flat Panel
Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless

kharma45

Hi all. I recently built a new PC and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this will last me for a while or had any suggestions on what I should replace if anything. I welcome any advice, critical or not. Thanks in advance.

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Intel Z87
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell OC'd 4 GHz Quad-Core
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013
Mouse: Logitech G700 Wireless Mouse
HDD 1: Intel 530 Series 2.5" 180GB SATA III
HDD 2: Western Digital Black 1TB 7200 RPM
HDD 3: Seagate 4TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display: Dell 23" 2312HM IPS Flat Panel
Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless

You might need a power supply ;)

Bar that all looks good.

Pachimari

Solid PSU too. You're well set.

kharma45, can you say if I'm well set as well? It's the first time I'm gonna build my own PC:

Besides doing Photoshop, web integration and watching HD movies, I would like it to play games on the highest settings. And something like Crysis 1 on High. And all games in 1080p on my 46" HDTV or monitor.

kharma45

Yeah it all looks good apart from that RAM. It's made for laptops, you need 240 pin stuff not 204 pin like this http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/778968/crucial-ballistix-tactical-hukommelse-

Don't be using Crysis 1 as a benchmark for your system, it's a poorly optimised game.

If you want to save cash and don't mind it can be a bit awkward to install you could swap to an air cooler http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/814101/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-processor but the H60 does look nice and is a lot easier to install.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I figure this would happen but doing some gaming and I'm slightly disappointed by the frames increase. Not that BF4 doesn't run at around 100fps at all times with every setting maxed out but I've noticed my GPU usage isn't exactly being capped either. I recall having the same initial woes with the 670's I had last year. The only time both GPU's were fully utilized is while running 3d Mark 13.

Will repost later with some pics. I suppose I expected a much bigger jump given I was already in the 50-60 range consistently and the only setting I increased was 4xMSAA. Must be doing me in more but it feels odd to see the game go into the 50's on 2 780ti's.

Pachimari

Yeah it all looks good apart from that RAM. It's made for laptops, you need 240 pin stuff not 204 pin like this http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/778968/crucial-ballistix-tactical-hukommelse-

Don't be using Crysis 1 as a benchmark for your system, it's a poorly optimised game.

If you want to save cash and don't mind it can be a bit awkward to install you could swap to an air cooler http://www.computersalg.dk/produkt/814101/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-processor but the H60 does look nice and is a lot easier to install.

I already have the case and HDD and have also ordered the optical drive, power supply and heatsink.

But thank you for correcting my RAM because I were gonna order it tomorrow. So I'll just go with the one you linked to. :)

riflen

I figure this would happen but doing some gaming and I'm slightly disappointed by the frames increase. Not that BF4 doesn't run at around 100fps at all times with every setting maxed out but I've noticed my GPU usage isn't exactly being capped either. I recall having the same initial woes with the 670's I had last year. The only time both GPU's were fully utilized is while running 3d Mark 13.

Will repost later with some pics. I suppose I expected a much bigger jump given I was already in the 50-60 range consistently and the only setting I increased was 4xMSAA. Must be doing me in more but it feels odd to see the game go into the 50's on 2 780ti's.

Use the BF4 console to enable performance overlay. It will show you frame time results for CPU and GPU. It's likely that in some instances during play, you will be CPU limited. I don't have the commands handy as they changed in the recent patch and I'm not at my machine. Bring down the console and use tab to complete commands beginning with "draw", "render" or "perf". You can also now tell the console to write the perf overlay output to a file so that you can study it properly.

If you want to see your GPUs at 99%, you can set scaling to 200% if you like. =)

Never.
+5-10% increases per year forever until the universe collapses.
I'm hoping Skylake is going to be Intel throwing us a bone. The die shrinks, I understand not being a huge performance increase, which makes Haswell the only real "disappointment" in regards to performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom