• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Use the BF4 console to enable performance overlay. It will show you frame time results for CPU and GPU. It's likely that in some instances during play, you will be CPU limited. I don't have the commands handy as they changed in the recent patch and I'm not at my machine. Bring down the console and use tab to complete commands beginning with "draw", "render" or "perf". You can also now tell the console to write the perf overlay output to a file so that you can study it properly.

If you want to see your GPUs at 99%, you can set scaling to 200% if you like. =)

I will keep it in mind, thanks. I have a 4.6ghz OC on my 3930k right now as well.

Serandur

I'm hoping Skylake is going to be Intel throwing us a bone. The die shrinks, I understand not being a huge performance increase, which makes Haswell the only real "disappointment" in regards to performance.

On one hand, that would be nice, Skylake being a real performance improvement. On the other, if they change sockets again, those with new builds from this year might be a little ticked off. Skylake just sounds cool too... too great of a name to waste on another disappointment, I hope.

If they really cared to throw us a bone at all though, they could start with going back to solder and removing the voltage regulator from the die... cut out those useless iGPUs for desktop performance parts and throw in a couple more cores instead. Those are the real reasons why I'm also disappointed in Ivy Bridge and especially so in Haswell. We're regressing in max attainable clock speeds with only minimal IPC improvements and no additional cores even as a consolation (and prices from generation to generation don't decrease or even necessarily remain the same); the result - complete performance stagnation at the upper end with exception of some new instructions. If Skylake is a real improvement, I'm expecting a noticeable price increase to go with the performance increase.

kharma45

On one hand, that would be nice, Skylake being a real performance improvement. On the other, if they change sockets again, those with new builds from this year might be a little ticked off. Skylake just sounds cool too... too great of a name to waste on another disappointment, I hope.

If they really cared to throw us a bone at all though, they could start with going back to solder and removing the voltage regulator from the die... cut out those useless iGPUs for desktop performance parts and throw in a couple more cores instead. Those are the real reasons why I'm also disappointed in Ivy Bridge and especially so in Haswell. We're regressing in max attainable clock speeds with only minimal IPC improvements and no additional cores even as a consolation (and prices from generation to generation don't decrease or even necessarily remain the same); the result - complete performance stagnation at the upper end with exception of some new instructions. If Skylake is a real improvement, I'm expecting a noticeable price increase to go with the performance increase.

Skylake will have a new socket.

NoRéN;100340684 said:
Sweet! Best Buy has the Samsung EVO 250gb for $90. Was able to get staples to match. Guess I can start buying part for a build to keep downstairs.

I hate having to fight over who gets to game on the pc with my spouse.

Crap, looks like I missed out. It's back up to 180 on the site. :(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Either way if you are on a super budget you pickup a used 2500K for $130-$170 and pickup a Z77 board like the ASUS LK or MSI GD-45 / GD-65. Actually the Biostar Z77 is stupid cheap if you are strapped as well: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138353

Otherwise I'd go for the i5 stuff in the OP. Any gen i5 you pick will demolish Dolphin, especially after you get it to 4.2Ghz.

Ok, so lets say I want the 4670k, because its only money and yolo. Anything I should know about motherboards? You mention something about a Z motherboard needed to overclock, but I'm not seeing that in the ones suggested. Also, do you know if the intel CPUs can still be overclocked 4+ Ghz with stock cooling?

LiquidMetal14

Ok, so lets say I want the 4670k, because its only money and yolo. Anything I should know about motherboards? You mention something about a Z motherboard needed to overclock, but I'm not seeing that in the ones suggested. Also, do you know if the intel CPUs can still be overclocked 4+ Ghz with stock cooling?

You don't have to overspend on a MB to get a good OC. I'm not sure if that's what he was inferring to but from my experiences with a cheap Biostar p67 board, they OC very well.

I went with a higher priced board for my X79 build but I'm sure I would still be able to hit 4.6ghz and beyond but the motherboards do come with extra bells and whistles to increase peak performance while keeping cool.

riflen

There are several Zxx motherboards recommended in the OP. 4+ Ghz with stock Intel cooler? Nope. You will have to spend £/€/$30 on something 3rd-party.

The ones with Z87 in the name are the motherboards for the new socket that allow overclocking. The Z77 that he recommended to you is for the older socket and also allows overclocking.

And yes, with stock cooling you should be able to get 4 Ghz.

KTT

Any reason not to go with the 4670K + MSI Z87-G41 bundle from MicroCenter? Comes out to $235 after a $15 MSI rebate.

mkenyon

Banned
Any reason not to go with the 4670K + MSI Z87-G41 bundle from MicroCenter? Comes out to $235 after a $15 MSI rebate.
It's a good deal. Any of the motherboards from the OP happen to be in a bundle? Would definitely suggest one of those instead.

This is my current build with a problem:

CPU: Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68
GFX Card: EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
RAM: 8 gigs of DDR3 2000
Harddrives: 120 GB Intel SSD (Win 7)
1.5 TB Western Digital HDD
PSU:Corsair 750W (Rated Silver)
ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme CPU Cooler
2x 27" Asus Monitors

For as long as I remember on some colors but mostly certain greys, I can see vertical static-like lines, like very transparent and light analog static (such as what you see on a tv but much lighter and in lines). I re-plugged in everything, replaced my monitor and HDMI cables, and still get it. I'm thinking it's either the Mobo or PSU. The only thing I really want to upgrade is potentially my GFX card, maybe get another 580 in SLI if that'll get me by, so I don't want to do a rebuild just yet.

Any other Gaffers ever have or hear of this problem?

KTT

It's a good deal. Any of the motherboards from the OP happen to be in a bundle? Would definitely suggest one of those instead.

Here are the bundles that I see advertised (keep in mind that they're all actually ~$15 more after tax):

TBOYwey.png

What kind of improvements I be getting if I spent a little more for one of the more pricey ones? Or would it be worth it to consider searching for a good mobo deal outside of the bundles?

mkenyon

Banned
This is my current build with a problem:

CPU: Intel i7 2600k Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V LGA 1155 Intel Z68
GFX Card: EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
RAM: 8 gigs of DDR3 2000
Harddrives: 120 GB Intel SSD (Win 7)
1.5 TB Western Digital HDD
PSU:Corsair 750W (Rated Silver)
ZALMAN CNPS11X Extreme CPU Cooler
2x 27" Asus Monitors

For as long as I remember on some colors but mostly certain greys, I can see vertical static-like lines, like very transparent and light analog static (such as what you see on a tv but much lighter and in lines). I re-plugged in everything, replaced my monitor and HDMI cables, and still get it. I'm thinking it's either the Mobo or PSU. The only thing I really want to upgrade is potentially my GFX card, maybe get another 580 in SLI if that'll get me by, so I don't want to do a rebuild just yet.

Any other Gaffers ever have or hear of this problem?
Tried using DVI instead of HDMI?
Here are the bundles that I see advertised (keep in mind that they're all actually ~$15 more after tax):

What kind of improvements I be getting if I spent a little more for one of the more pricey ones? Or would it be worth it to consider searching for a good mobo deal outside of the bundles?
That G41 is a bottom tier motherboard, and it's going to have limited overclocking capability, it's going to run really hot, and things like the onboard sound are absolutely awful.

KTT

That G41 is a bottom tier motherboard, and it's going to have limited overclocking capability, it's going to run really hot, and things like the onboard sound are absolutely awful.

Gotcha.. I'll stop considering it. I've got a sound card that I can re-use (SoundBlaster XtremeMusic) but I also plan on OC'ing that 4670K so I don't want to be limited by a poor mobo. Would one of the others perform well for the price? Or are those bundles cheap for a reason?

zonezeus

My cable management sucks, but I'm happy as fuck because it's the first PC I've ever built and it actually works. Big thank you for everyone in this thread who helped, answered my (mostly stupid) questions or contributed otherwise, I couldn't have done this without you :) Keep up the good work PC GAF!

My cable management sucks, but I'm happy as fuck because it's the first PC I've ever built and it actually works. Big thank you for everyone in this thread who helped, answered my (mostly stupid) questions or contributed otherwise, I couldn't have done this without you :) Keep up the good work PC GAF!

Dat heatsink. Wow.

Smokey

The double edge sword with SLI. I miss the brute force it provides, but on the other hand I rarely even game with a OSD telling me my usage. Everything is smooth. Was constantly looking at it when I had SLI.

I also noticed when I played BF4 @ 1080P I had uneven GPU usage from time to time. Similar to what you are saying. When I played at 2560x1600 my usage was fairly consistent.

I figure this would happen but doing some gaming and I'm slightly disappointed by the frames increase. Not that BF4 doesn't run at around 100fps at all times with every setting maxed out but I've noticed my GPU usage isn't exactly being capped either. I recall having the same initial woes with the 670's I had last year. The only time both GPU's were fully utilized is while running 3d Mark 13.

Will repost later with some pics. I suppose I expected a much bigger jump given I was already in the 50-60 range consistently and the only setting I increased was 4xMSAA. Must be doing me in more but it feels odd to see the game go into the 50's on 2 780ti's.

LiquidMetal14

The double edge sword with SLI. I miss the brute force it provides, but on the other hand I rarely even game with a OSD telling me my usage. Everything is smooth. Was constantly looking at it when I had SLI.

I also noticed when I played BF4 @ 1080P I had uneven GPU usage from time to time. Similar to what you are saying. When I played at 2560x1600 my usage was fairly consistent.

I just got on my PC now. I will have to do some reading.

On a completely separate subject, I cannot make this stupid login screen in Windows 8.1 disappear. I know how to disable the password prompt using the ntplwiz search and then unchecking the PW check at startup but it still logs me in and says admin password not correct and I have to manually hit back and select my profile. Any tips?

hey guys i need some help figuring out how tall the NZXT H440 is. i currently have a Corsair 650D and it can't fit under my desk.. is the case i am looking at shorter?

riflen

I just got on my PC now. I will have to do some reading.

On a completely separate subject, I cannot make this stupid login screen in Windows 8.1 disappear. I know how to disable the password prompt using the ntplwiz search and then unchecking the PW check at startup but it still logs me in and says admin password not correct and I have to manually hit back and select my profile. Any tips?

Try entering: control userpasswords2 into a run dialogue.
Then Advanced tab > un-tick "Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete".

Hugstable

Banned
Hey PC-Gaf. I'm just about to ready to spend what I need to build my new rig and was just needing some advice on parts I'm picking up and such. I'm pretty much using the Excellent/Best Overall from Haz's PC Build Chart in the OP.

Motherboard: Z87X http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138380

Processor: I5-4670k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899

PSU: Antec BP550 Plus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB 240pin 2x4GB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345 (Is there anything a bit cheaper? Saw the build mention it was 80 but this is 92$. Doesn't really matter in the end though as long as it's quality.)

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147247

HDD: Western Digital 1TB Blue http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 4GB. Is there any difference between the Gigabyte card and the EVGA card. Saw the EVGA was an extra 30 bucks more or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130948

CD/DVD: Asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Cooling: Corsair Hydro H60 120mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030

Case: Fractal Define R4 Titanium Front http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352023

or Corsair Carbide 500R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010.

Sound Card: Xonar DGX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132052

The build total comes out to 1399$ after tax. Is there anything that I'm missing out on. Will the fans with the case and the H60 be enough? Does the R4 support a 120mm H60 cause I saw the R4 states it supports 240mm. Also do I really need the Xonar DGX sound card? What benefits does that sound card give that the stock onboard doesn't have? Lastly are these the cheapest prices for most of these items? Tried to get the 250GB Samsung Evo 840 yesterday from 89 from Best Buy but they sold out fast.

Tech support question here:

Recently my front audio panel started acting weird. When I plug headphones in, the sound from Skype is REALLY quiet. Every other app, and I mean everything else I've tried, is fine. It is literally only Skype.

I think what is happening is that for some reason skype thinks I have a center channel speaker and so it's encoding some of the audio to go to a center channel, which then just disappears. However, I've checked everything:

1) Updated my BIOS (Motherboard is a ASUS P9X79 Pro)
2) Updated Chipset Audio Drivers
3) Gone into Realtek HD Audio Manager and made sure that "Stereo" is selected for my speaker configuration and that only two speakers are displayed.
4) Ran the audio test in the Realtek HD Audio Manager. When it tests the left channel I hear full volume from both ears of my headphones, when it tests the right channel I also hear full volume from both ears.
5) Tried both the option for AC97 front panel and HD Audio front panel.
6) Tried multiple sets of headphones.
7) Turned off all types of audio processing effects through the Realtek HD Audio Manager (actually all of these options are disabled for stereo configurations anyway).
8) Set the volume to the max inside Skype's options, as well as in Sndvol.exe's master volume slider as well as application-specific volume slider for Skype
9) Uninstalled and re-installed Skype.

I have no idea what else to try. Suggestions? I'm very convinced that Skype is confused into thinking I have a 3-speaker configuration, but I don't know why it thinks that.

TBOYwey.png

Actually, you're not restricted to the motherboards in their advertisement. As long as you buy the processor, they give a discount on motherboards. I went with the 4670K and a UD3H, which is usually priced at $160, but goes for $130 after bundle discount (and actually has a $20 rebate going right now, so $110).

LiquidMetal14

Try entering: control userpasswords2 into a run dialogue.
Then Advanced tab > un-tick "Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete".

I have that un-checked already. In users (under advanced) I have the admin, me (my name), and guest.

This has only been an issue the last week. Not sure what triggered it but I wanted to bypass login altogether and it's actually added another step or two here ><

KTT

Actually, you're not restricted to the motherboards in their advertisement. As long as you buy the processor, they give a discount on motherboards. I went with the 4670K and a UD3H, which is usually priced at $160, but goes for $130 after bundle discount (and actually has a $20 rebate going right now, so $110).

Oh, cool. Didn't even realize that. How do you like the UD3H? Have you tried overclocking at all?

riflen

I have that un-checked already. In users (under advanced) I have the admin, me (my name), and guest.

This has only been an issue the last week. Not sure what triggered it but I wanted to bypass login altogether and it's actually added another step or two here ><

OK. When you un-check that box for the first time, Windows will prompt you for the username and password of the account to auto-login with. It sounds like the password or user specified to auto-login is invalid some how.

Apparently if you use a Microsoft account for your auto-login user, you must specify the email address when prompted, not the Windows username. If that doesn't apply to you, perhaps you need to toggle the feature and re-enter your credentials when prompted?

I have 8.1 and auto-login is working as expected. I'll be in front of my machine later and able to help more.

LiquidMetal14

OK. When you un-check that box for the first time, Windows will prompt you for the username and password of the account to auto-login with. It sounds like the password or user specified to auto-login is invalid some how.

Apparently if you use a Microsoft account for your auto-login user, you must specify the email address when prompted, not the Windows username. If that doesn't apply to you, perhaps you need to toggle the feature and re-enter your credentials when prompted?

I have 8.1 and auto-login is working as expected. I'll be in front of my machine later and able to help more.

I went ahead and disabled the admin and guest accounts as well as deleting the admin account because I am an admin. It warned me about it and I accepted it. I just did a reboot and my own login worked auto so problem solved. Thanks for the input.

I figure this would happen but doing some gaming and I'm slightly disappointed by the frames increase. Not that BF4 doesn't run at around 100fps at all times with every setting maxed out but I've noticed my GPU usage isn't exactly being capped either. I recall having the same initial woes with the 670's I had last year. The only time both GPU's were fully utilized is while running 3d Mark 13.

Will repost later with some pics. I suppose I expected a much bigger jump given I was already in the 50-60 range consistently and the only setting I increased was 4xMSAA. Must be doing me in more but it feels odd to see the game go into the 50's on 2 780ti's.

Hm, as someone who's debating jumping into a 2-way SLI 780ti setup, this has me slightly concerned.

Are they just quick dips? Do issues like this happen in other games? I assume your mobo and GPU drivers are up to date (just checking! :) )?

I've never had SLI, so I'm not sure how common SLI issues like this are nowadays. Hopefully it's not bad, especially at the cost of SLI 780 ti's

thespot84

for everyone posting builds, be sure to check out pcpartpicker.com. not only for pricing, but it'll save a ton of time tracking parts and even has a button to copy a formatted list for pasting here on gaf

LiquidMetal14

Hm, as someone who's debating jumping into a 2-way SLI 780ti setup, this has me slightly concerned.

Are they just quick dips? Do issues like this happen in other games? I assume your mobo and GPU drivers are up to date (just checking! :) )?

I've never had SLI, so I'm not sure how common SLI issues like this are nowadays. Hopefully it's not bad, especially at the cost of SLI 780 ti's

Not quick drops but my GPU's aren't being fully utilized. Believe me, if you have anything below even 1 780ti and then you go to a 780ti, you will notice the performance difference. I'm merely referring to either the SLI scaling or maybe an issue with the game. I do know my GPU's aren't particularly being taxed. I ran 2xMSAA/SSAO before and was in the 50-60 range on 1 670 and have turned it up to 4xMSAA with HBAO and am in the 100 range almost all the time but it does go to the 50's when debris is flying and more physics calculations are happening.

kharma45

Hey PC-Gaf. I'm just about to ready to spend what I need to build my new rig and was just needing some advice on parts I'm picking up and such. I'm pretty much using the Excellent/Best Overall from Haz's PC Build Chart in the OP.

Motherboard: Z87X http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138380

Processor: I5-4670k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116899

PSU: Antec BP550 Plus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016

Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB 240pin 2x4GB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145345 (Is there anything a bit cheaper? Saw the build mention it was 80 but this is 92$. Doesn't really matter in the end though as long as it's quality.)

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147247

HDD: Western Digital 1TB Blue http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236339

GPU: Nvidia GTX 770 4GB. Is there any difference between the Gigabyte card and the EVGA card. Saw the EVGA was an extra 30 bucks more or so.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125462

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130948

CD/DVD: Asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Cooling: Corsair Hydro H60 120mm http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181030

Case: Fractal Define R4 Titanium Front http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352023

or Corsair Carbide 500R http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010.

Sound Card: Xonar DGX http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132052

The build total comes out to 1399$ after tax. Is there anything that I'm missing out on. Will the fans with the case and the H60 be enough? Does the R4 support a 120mm H60 cause I saw the R4 states it supports 240mm. Also do I really need the Xonar DGX sound card? What benefits does that sound card give that the stock onboard doesn't have? Lastly are these the cheapest prices for most of these items? Tried to get the 250GB Samsung Evo 840 yesterday from 89 from Best Buy but they sold out fast.

Change your PSU to this, saves $15 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

Change your RAM to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231542

If the Gigabyte 770 is that much cheaper get it.

I wouldn't bother with a sound card unless you're an audiophile.

Stock fans and the H60 is fine. You mount it like so

R4-04b.jpg

For cheaper prices on those items check http://pcpartpicker.com/

Oh, cool. Didn't even realize that. How do you like the UD3H? Have you tried overclocking at all?

Overclocks well as the VRMs are very high end, although some of late have had some hardware issues of late like only 2 of the DIMM slots working. I still like it but be wary of it. Some BIOS issues too. Biostar HiFi Z87X is good too.

what heatsink would you guys recommend for a 4670k hovering around 4.2ghz? have about £45 / $70 to spend

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068OI7T8/

mkenyon

Banned
what heatsink would you guys recommend for a 4670k hovering around 4.2ghz? have about £45 / $70 to spend
The ones in the OP. Coolermaster TX4. 212 Evp. Xigmatek Gaia.

What he is describing isn't an issue. GPU usage isn't always going to be at 100%. Just how it is.

There are a number of issues associated with SLI, namely profiles not being available around/at launch. It'll either require 5-30 mins of setting up a custom profile, or it flat out won't work.

A lot of the other issues that used to plague SLI (uneven frame times a.k.a. microstutter, all sorts of bugs, random performance issues) have mostly been fixed. Same goes for Crossfire.
damn.. really? im having problems finding a great looking case that's quite and does a good job at filtering dust.
Carbide Air 540.

You're not going to find many (if any) mid towers with the specs and features you're looking for (judging by the 650D and H440 choices) under 21".

Hugstable

Banned
Change your PSU to this, saves $15 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

Change your RAM to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231542

If the Gigabyte 770 is that much cheaper get it.

I wouldn't bother with a sound card unless you're an audiophile.

Stock fans and the H60 is fine. You mount it like so

R4-04b.jpg

For cheaper prices on those items check http://pcpartpicker.com/

Overclocks well as the VRMs are very high end, although some of late have had some hardware issues of late like only 2 of the DIMM slots working. I still like it but be wary of it. Some BIOS issues too. Biostar HiFi Z87X is good too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068OI7T8/

Thanks a ton on the PSU and Ram! PSU is 650 and a whole 15 cheaper thanks to that 20$ off promo code. Is the Biostar Hi-Fi Z87X the best motherboard around my price range?

Also about monitors, I have an Asus VH24 (back from like 2011) and was thinking about upgrading my monitor sooner or later. Is there any noticeable difference with the 144hz refresh rate? What resolution would my setup even be able to run? I'm sure my older Asus can't go back 1920x1080, but I have paid off my dell card completely and a few of their IPS displays look nice, but very pricey.

DarkFlow

Banned
The ones with Z87 in the name are the motherboards for the new socket that allow overclocking. The Z77 that he recommended to you is for the older socket and also allows overclocking.

And yes, with stock cooling you should be able to get 4 Ghz.

Only if he lives in Antarctica.

Tried using DVI instead of HDMI?

Yes, I tried that as well to no luck :\

I'm guessing it's a grounding issue but I replugged everything in. My cheapest bet would be to first get a new mobo, I suppose. Just never took anything off of thermal paste before which would be my cooler but that wouldn't be terrible to get a new one of either.

- J - D -

I'd honestly feel more comfortable buying a used part that you know works, as then there's no possible chance of having to send it in for RMA.

But, I would feel pretty good about that too. Worst case scenario, EVGA replaces it.

But what happens if that used part craps out in a few months? It's not often that used tech have warranties? Right? That said, I don't really have a problem buying used if the price is good enough.

You know what that is a big help I might buy a 760 4gb from here or a 770 these prices are with in my budget.... Well the 760s are

Glad it could help!

mkenyon

Banned
But what happens if that used part craps out in a few months? It's not often that used tech have warranties? Right? That said, I don't really have a problem buying used if the price is good enough.
The warranty carries over on used parts. It's based on serial #, and for almost all of the AIBs out there, is 3 years from date of purchase as new.
Yes, I tried that as well to no luck :\

I'm guessing it's a grounding issue but I replugged everything in. My cheapest bet would be to first get a new mobo, I suppose. Just never took anything off of thermal paste before which would be my cooler but that wouldn't be terrible to get a new one of either.
Wouldn't it be the PSU if it were a grounding issue?

LiquidMetal14

A small update on the GPU usage and frames....

It seems like changing some things in nvidia Inspector helped a ton. Changing some of the SLI options to draw on 2 GPU's instead of 4 made a tremendous difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom