• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that deal is in-store only and might require you to buy a motherboard through them.

Looks like $179 for me, $100 would actually be recommendable, IMO.
$189 at newegg with code EMCPHPC22.

I honestly would consider it if I were building a system for other things besides gaming like video editing or some rendering. For just gaming, nah, unless I could order it for $100 outright.

It's all in place. Got my W8 Pro key. How am I supposed to download W8 Pro and burn it to a disk so I can install it on the new PC once it's all put together tho?

kharma45

I'm going from a 7850 to a 770 in this build... should I upgrade the PSU?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/beeklematter/saved/1dG9

I've got a couple stock NZXT case fans as well in there. Cutting it damn close XD

Drop the Corsair RAM to the GSkill stuff Newegg has for $10 less. You could use that to go Haswell with the 4670K plus Biostar Z87W set up.

PSU will be fine. Again Newegg has a good deal on the Rosewill Hive 650w, $50 after rebate. Drop a case fan and get it. Three (2 stock plus one more) is plenty.

It's all in place. Got my W8 Pro key. How am I supposed to download W8 Pro and burn it to a disk so I can install it on the new PC once it's all put together tho?

Considered USB install? Key seller not provide an ISO link? If not i think Microsoft can, there is a site they have that you can input your serial and get the ISO. I'm on mobile but if i can find it i will post it for you.

nicjac

Hey guys,

something has been confusing me lately. I have an EVGA GTX 780 classifier (03G-P4-3788-KR, see http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-3788-KR). The boost GPU clock is supposed to be 1046 Mhz. However, when I run benchmarks, my GPU clock goes up to 1137 Mhz according to EVGA Precision X.

All settings are on default, so I am not sure why it goes up that high? I am not complaining but I would like to understand why it does it.

Hey guys,

something has been confusing me lately. I have an EVGA GTX 780 classifier (03G-P4-3788-KR, see http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-3788-KR). The boost GPU clock is supposed to be 1046 Mhz. However, when I run benchmarks, my GPU clock goes up to 1137 Mhz according to EVGA Precision X.

All settings are on default, so I am not sure why it goes up that high? I am not complaining but I would like to understand why it does it.

It's the nature of Boost 2.0 I believe. It will list a boost clock, which is the point it clocks up to when under a moderate amount of stress, then accelerate to a theoretical limit as the workload increases.

Coreda

Just installed Windows 8.1 last night. God, the font rendering is shit.

Tried some open source utility called 'MacType' but it didn't improve things any. So used to OSX's sub-pixel rendering on GAF.

Also having constant trouble getting my two Windows computers to connect over ethernet. XP to OSX works smoothly and without the need for all the user protection jumbo, but W8 to XP has only worked once.

Edit: ran the Tuner app of MacType and created my own custom profile, now it's awesome. Highly recommended for anyone sick of W8's font rendering (linky).

waby

I'm hoping to upgrade my monitor since my current monitor is only 720p and my graphics card is a GTX 670. When I bought my rig last year I really don't have enough budget for a nicer monitor and now I'm contemplating my decision about that.

Anyway, I've been checking on the recommended monitors in this thread and good lord, the price here in my country is so damn OP that the standard monitor worth is $350. I am not keen in looking up worth it monitors in the appliance section.

Pachimari

Alright. It has better performance or quality? :)

I'm so scared of building my first PC with all these components but I'm gonna watch the videos in the OP and do my best.

kharma45

EVGA has fantastic after sales support.

Both coolers are good, the ASUS is marginally better from what I remember but it's not enough to sway me from EVGAs customer service.

Pachimari

So this is the final set-up I'm going with now?

Case Fractal R4 (received)

Storage WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB (received)

Optical Drive SATA DVD Burner (received)

Power Supply Sea Sonic G Series 550 (received)

Heatsink Corsair H60 (received)

------------------------------------​

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H (ordered)

SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (ordered)

Network card TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 (ordered)

CPU i5 4670K 4C/4T (buying in March)

RAM Crucial Ballistix Tactical (16GB) (buying in March)

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 780

Other stuff to get this year
- Akasa internal Card Reader
- Windows 7 64-bit
- Xbox 360 Receiver (buying in March)
- Sennheiser 363D
- IR receiver
- 32" Samsung HDTV (for monitor)
- 5.1 speakers

koma

Hi everyone! First time i post in this thread... i really don't know much about how to build a PC :p I mean, i can technically build one but i don't know how to chose the best parts.. i have tried to use the resources in the OP and the spreadsheets, but i cannot find all those good parts here in Italy or at least not at a good price.

Your Current Specs: an old portable PC from 2009, i have to play games in windowed mode at 800x600 :p
Budget: about 700 euro? (PC only, no monitor, i’ll buy and HD TV), i live in Italy
Main Use:
Gaming: 5
Emulation (PS2/Wii): 2
Monitor Resolution: i will buy a new TV to use as monitor, something like a Toshiba 32L1334, 32" FullHD, LED TV, 100Hz
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
These are the most “demanding” games that i have and that i’d love to play at 60FPS at full details:
Crysis 2 (maybe not FULL details, high details at 60fps is cool to me)
Portal 2
Dead Island
Saints Row: The Third + Saints Row IV
TrackMania² Valley
Borderlands 2
How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you?: i don’t know what they are :D
Looking to reuse any parts?: i already have an external 1TB HD for storage, so a small 120 GB SSD is good to me
When will you build?: first week of march
Will you be overclocking?: no

Should i use Windows 7 or 8?

If possible (and if it's not much cheaper elsewhere) i'd like to buy everything from www.Amazon.it as i have some gift-card to use. If anyone could help, it would be awesome :)

redlegs87

Ok so I have been seeing alot of negative things being said about the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H lately. Should I be concerned enough to find another motherboard to purchase or just stick with it?

riflen

Ok so I have been seeing alot of negative things being said about the Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H lately. Should I be concerned enough to find another motherboard to purchase or just stick with it?

As far I know, it's still recommended here and I've not seen the thread regulars say anything that would mean it should be removed from the build sheets.

This was the motherboard I chose and it worked perfectly when I built mine last week. No problems yet.

Dawg

mkenyon, while waiting on my PSU, I noticed it was a tiny bit bigger than my current one. That one was already a "tight fit", it'll fit right? :p

teiresias

I built my current rig (minus the video card upgrades I've done) back in 2009/10 and currently have some G.Skill DDR3 1333 RAM. Would it be wise to invest in upgrading that to at least 1600 RAM if I'm planning to upgrade my mobo and cpu to a haswell rig? The RAM hasn't really been an issue for me thus far, but I doubt it will help any overclocking I try to do (if any).

Smokey

EVGA has fantastic after sales support.

Both coolers are good, the ASUS is marginally better from what I remember but it's not enough to sway me from EVGAs customer service.

Yep. I will always go EVGA for this reason until they show me otherwise.

Quick question about CPU temps. I have just upgraded to a new case, and because it is less ventilated I have got a cooler master 212 evo cooler. Before switching my i7 3770s had good temps and stayed fairly static when idle. With the new cooler fitted and all the same hardware the idle temps flicker from 19 to 29 on two cores and 21 to 26 on the other two. If I load it with prime95 they only go up and down by a few degrees. Is that normal?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Hey guys,

Running a EVGA 460 GTX at the moment. I've had it for 3 years now (pretty much to the day), figure it's time to upgrade.

I mostly play World of Warcraft (very rarely do I stream/capture gameplay). I also play Borderlands 2, Civ V, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I'm looking at either this 760 or 770: EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR GeForce GTX 760 4GB and EVGA 04G-P4-3778-KR GeForce GTX 770 4GB

I'm also picking a SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SSD so I'm leaning towards the 760 because it's cheaper and I'm also getting the SSD.

Thoughts?

thespot84

Quick question about CPU temps. I have just upgraded to a new case, and because it is less ventilated I have got a cooler master 212 evo cooler. Before switching my i7 3770s had good temps and stayed fairly static when idle. With the new cooler fitted and all the same hardware the idle temps flicker from 19 to 29 on two cores and 21 to 26 on the other two. If I load it with prime95 they only go up and down by a few degrees. Is that normal?

which p95 test are you doing, blend or FFTs?

maneil99

Hey guys,

Running a EVGA 460 GTX at the moment. I've had it for 3 years now (pretty much to the day), figure it's time to upgrade.

I mostly play World of Warcraft (very rarely do I stream/capture gameplay). I also play Borderlands 2, Civ V, The Witcher 2, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I'm looking at either this 760 or 770: EVGA 04G-P4-2768-KR GeForce GTX 760 4GB and EVGA 04G-P4-3778-KR GeForce GTX 770 4GB

I'm also picking a SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SSD so I'm leaning towards the 760 because it's cheaper and I'm also getting the SSD.

Thoughts?
770 if you can afford it, 760 if you can't

bGanci

Banned
I could use some help upgrading my PC! Looking to spend 200-300 dollars.
I'm looking for recommendations on which parts i should upgrade first.
Here is my build
Untitled.jpg

Thanks for the help!

I don't know much about computer hardware.

Also looking for a smaller case. Smallest i can get! Any recommendations are welcome!

Pachimari

Just ordered GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-UD3H, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and TP-LINK TL-WDN4800. :D

Just need the 16GB RAM, i5 CPU and the GTX 780 and I'm set!

Hanzou

What kind of a performance gain strictly in games would I see going from the i5 760 at about 3.3ghz that I have now to a new i5 or i7 with a nice average over clock on an aftermarket air heatsink/fan? I am running a amd 7870. Is my card going to be the bottleneck for most games right now if I am playing at 1080p?

techgaf i need you

my old samsung syncmaster2232bw want to abandon me,
now i am not up to date with the new tech like led, tn , ips , eips etc etc
i would like the 22-24 inch format but i am ready to change if it is recquired

what the hell should i buy per +- 180 euro ?
i will use it for gaming ( rome 2, castlevania 2 , everything i can buy from steam xD) ,writing my thesis and watching online movies

Hello PC gaf,

After upgrading my setup, I now have a leftover ATX motherboard, and Phenom 945 and some ram. I would like to make a pc that runs manly older/indie games and emulators to keep hooked up to my tv.

Im looking for suggestions for small case and a good budget gpu, with a budget of $100.

Thanks.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The 2 780ti's and overlocked 3930k are pushing my machine ti the limits. Had to tone down my OC to 4.2ghz on a 1.300vcore. Stable so far consdering my system would justshut down before.

kris.

Banned
tax return came in today. getting my video card to finish my first build tonight. decided on a evga gtx 760 4gb

so pumped right now

Ryoohki360

Neo Member

This is purely suggestive. Some find ASUS to be the best brand, i personnally i had nothing but problems with them + their support sucks ass (i my experience, had 3 devices). Been using mostly Gigabytes products for the last 5 years, only had issue with 1 660TI OC that was too borderline, witch they exchanged for me.

Oh, i don't overclock my CPU maybe it's that. I personnally don't see the point of it right now with a I7 and a 780, i mostly don't play a lot of CPu bound games. BF4 already goes AVG 88FPS at 1440p, PlanetSide2 flies..

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
Btw just for you're informations, if you are building a PC for BF4, don't check the benchmarks for it ATI vs NVIDIA, the latest patch boosted most FPS for NVIDIA card since they implemanted per pixel light to nvidia path in DX11 (was already in the game for AMD).

This boosted the performance of this game for me, by A LOT.

For example right now

ULTRA, POST AA to OFF, MOTION BLUR to OFF, 4XMSAA, 1440p, 780 OC, I7 3770

AVG 88FPS on Shanghai with 64 players

thespot84

Blend is the one I am running. The actual temps seem fine under prime95, topping out at 69 but mainly hovering around 64-65. Its just the weird idling that I didn't think looked right.

firstly, try small FFTs, since blend doesn't stress your CPU as much. Did you redo the thermal paste with the new cooler? same/different paste?

To do some armchair physics for a minute, it sounds like with poorer ventilation the ambient in your case is a little higher than it was before. The cooler can only cool to the ambient temp (since it's technically passive, there's refrigeration or compression going on), so if ambient is >20C but <65C then you'll see higher temps at idle but less of an effect at load. Just a guess.

mkenyon

Banned
Mkenyon talk to me about monsoon compression fittings. Are these good?
They're the ones I used in my BitFenix build:

They're great. The only complaint that people have is that the paint is a bit thin and can chip fairly easily. I think they're easier to work with than other comp fittings, especially with the handy tool.
What kind of a performance gain strictly in games would I see going from the i5 760 at about 3.3ghz that I have now to a new i5 or i7 with a nice average over clock on an aftermarket air heatsink/fan? I am running a amd 7870. Is my card going to be the bottleneck for most games right now if I am playing at 1080p?
It depends on the game. UE3 games, Skyrim, Blizzard games, multiplayer games, and source games will all give you a really big boost in performance. Some games, there won't be any difference at all.

Bottlenecks aren't an either/or thing. They can exist on all parts at the same time to varying degrees, and it's mostly dependent upon the game in question rather than hardware.
mkenyon, while waiting on my PSU, I noticed it was a tiny bit bigger than my current one. That one was already a "tight fit", it'll fit right? :p
Mmmmmmmmm, you'll have to refresh my memory.

But if I okay'd it, it's probably fine.
Oh, i don't overclock my CPU maybe it's that. I personnally don't see the point of it right now with a I7 and a 780, i mostly don't play a lot of CPu bound games. BF4 already goes AVG 88FPS at 1440p, PlanetSide2 flies..
Read this. Then overclock your CPU :p

tl;dr, you're getting lots of really crappy frames in MP games that won't be evident in average FPS, because average FPS is a really crappy way of measuring performance.

Despite similar numbers listed here:

You have wildly different numbers when you look at 99% of the frames:

Thats how most MP games will shake out when you're talking about the impact of a processor on performance.

Drop the Corsair RAM to the GSkill stuff Newegg has for $10 less. You could use that to go Haswell with the 4670K plus Biostar Z87W set up.

PSU will be fine. Again Newegg has a good deal on the Rosewill Hive 650w, $50 after rebate. Drop a case fan and get it. Three (2 stock plus one more) is plenty.

Okay I guess I should rephrase. That IS my current build, I built it a year or two ago. I'm just upgrading my 7850 to a 770 and wondering if my PSU will be big enough to handle the upgrade. Lol sorry for the confusion.

jesus i was browsing the monitor models on the asus website in this moment, what the flying fuck do those vx-vn-vs initials mean? what are the differences between a vx239n and a VS 248h apart from inches ?

Currently I have a 6970 and a 6990 in crossfire (well, tri-fire, since the 6990 is really just 2 6970s on one card). I used to use 3 monitors, but I've since changed to a single 1600p IPS panel (I do photography work as well, and it comes in handy BIG time).

Anyway, I've been thinking of upgrading this fall/winter to a single card (since I only have the one monitor now, it seems to make more sense for simplicity's sake, since using crossfire or SLI seems to be a lot of hassle with a lot of games). However, I'm beginning to wonder if AMD prices will ever come down!

But that got me thinking...might it not be worth my while to try and sell my 6970 and 6990 right now, while the bitcoin/dogecoin craze is high? True they aren't selling for the same premiums as 7970s, but they are still well above proper market value. Is is smart for me to ditch the two cards right now, and put that money into a single nVidia card, where the price is at a stable, normal amount?

JDHarbs

Hey everyone. I posted here awhile back and got some good feedback, but I ultimately decided to hold off on building a PC until now. Since MicroCenter is currently running a PC build sale I figured now was as good of a time as any to finally build my PC. I'd like to purchase all of my parts from them since they have a location not far from my home. Mainly this is going to be for 3D/Model work for my game design classes, but I'd like to game on it on the side as well. Basically, I'm just looking for some feedback on parts from people who know a lot more about this than I do. Anyway, thanks in advance. :)

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: ~$1000-$1200 U.S.
Main Use: Gaming (5), 3D/Model work (5), General Usage (4) Streaming games/Netflix in HD (3), Emulation (2).
Monitor Resolution: I have a 720p tv that I will be using until I upgrade to a 1080p monitor.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: I'm looking to run last gen games in 1080p @ 60fps and current gen at 30fps. Absolutely needs to run 3D programs well like Maya, 3DS Max, UDK, Unity, etc.
Looking to reuse any parts?: N/A
When will you build?: Before the end of this month.
Will you be overclocking?: I'd rather not.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($99.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $1028.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-12 12:40 EST-0500)

I need some help. I have a Fractal R3 case and it's been great since I built it the summer before last. Recently one of the front USB ports has stopped working; it's the left most 2.0 one. Before I noticed this I had taken the whole front part off to dust the fans behind it. Do you think I clipped a wire or something while cleaning it?

It's pretty hard to clean as the front part is still attached to the rest of the case via some wires when I take the front off to clean it. I'm worried that this awkwardness led to some problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom