• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU: 4670K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-UD3H
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 250-500GB SSD (snipe one on sale, aim for $160 for a 250GB, $280-300 for a 500GB)
PSU: Seasonic G Series 650W
Case: Fractal Define R4
Heatsink: Xigmatek Gaia or Coolermaster Hyper 212
GPU: GTX 780 (EVGA Classified or MSI Lightning recommended)
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z (virualized surround)
Keyboard: A nice mech keyboard
Mouse: Corsair M95 (MMO mouse, lots of buttons on the side)

Thanks, gonna start looking around at it all now. Need to resist the urge of just going the lazy route and buying pre made since it always ends poorly for me and is far more exspensive for less value.

mkenyon

Banned
If you're in the Pac NW, Toronto, SoCal, Chicago, or Winnepeg area, there are GAFers who have offered to do builds and/or help.

If you're in the Pac NW, Toronto, SoCal, Chicago, or Winnepeg area, there are GAFers who have offered to do builds and/or help.

Cape Cod Massachusetts so unfortunately the only thing around here are old people. I think once I have everything ordered I will probably be ok, the actual building of it most likely seems more daunting then it will end up being.

I mostly just worry about getting all the parts I need and having them all fit together properly which was why I asked for help on a general guideline build.

appaws

Banned
Jeez, was just looking on Ebay....people seem to be actually paying over $300 for used Gigabyte 7950 cards....tempting.

I wonder if I could get more because I have one of the early ones from before they locked down the voltage...?

Do you think it would be worth it to go from my nicely OCed 7950 to a 4gb 770 if I am gaming at 1080/60?

mkenyon

Banned
Cape Cod Massachusetts so unfortunately the only thing around here are old people. I think once I have everything ordered I will probably be ok, the actual building of it most likely seems more daunting then it will end up being.

I mostly just worry about getting all the parts I need and having them all fit together properly which was why I asked for help on a general guideline build.
It's easier than putting together a Lego set, seriously.

Just follow the build guides in the OP.

kharma45

It's easier than putting together a Lego set, seriously.

Just follow the build guides in the OP.

The only fiddly bit is the IO header stuff. Bar that (and the Hyper 212 being a bitch the first time you try it) it really is easy.

Jeez, was just looking on Ebay....people seem to be actually paying over $300 for used Gigabyte 7950 cards....tempting.

I wonder if I could get more because I have one of the early ones from before they locked down the voltage...?

Do you think it would be worth it to go from my nicely OCed 7950 to a 4gb 770 if I am gaming at 1080/60?

Not really, it's not much of a performance jump if you've OC'd your card. 780 or a 290 is the upgrade to aim for.

DarkFlow

Banned
Getting my tax return and decided to upgrade my GPU. Coming from a 7850 1GB. Would a 760 4GB be a worthy upgrade. I'm specifically thinking of these two
1. Gigabyte 760 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

or
2. EVGA 760 4GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

I love my Windforce 780, the fans make it stay frosty all the time. Other's like EVGA for customer support, so really it comes down to that.

DarkFlow

Banned

People are willing to pay $83 for my Sapphire 6870!
george-michael-snoopy-walk.gif

Enthus

Should I get a 1440p monitor? My new rig will be running an R9 290, and I will probably crossfire after a few months. Is it a massive difference?

mkenyon

Banned
Should I get a 1440p monitor? My new rig will be running an R9 290, and I will probably crossfire after a few months. Is it as massive a difference as 720p to 1080p?
Go check one out in person.

I find that most of them have pretty nasty motion blur, except for the QNIX Evolution II, due to the ability to run it at 120Hz.

I sold my 7950 on Ebay for $400 straight up. That's like $80 more than I paid for it.

Enthus

Go check one out in person.

I find that most of them have pretty nasty motion blur, except for the QNIX Evolution II, due to the ability to run it at 120Hz.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking about. It goes for a pretty good price on eBay right now, too.

Budget build.
Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: £500-700 if needed. Preferred : £500-600 w/Monitor
Main Use: Gaming (5), Programming(5), General Usage (4), Emulation (2) Lightroom and Photoshop(2).
Monitor Resolution: Planning to get Dell P2314h - 1080p
Looking to reuse any parts?: I have a cd drive from 2005...
When will you build?: Hopefully within the next month.
Will you be overclocking?: Most likely not.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor (£82.53 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£50.08 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: GeIL Enhance CORSA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory (£36.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.66 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card (£144.00 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN722N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter (£8.11 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case (£44.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£46.27 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: Dell P2314H 60Hz 23.0" Monitor (£155.08 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £610.71
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-12 23:22 GMT+0000)

Funnily enough, when building this on Scan only, I had another £50-60 added on. I'm going to go with the fact that the RAM and Graphics card on Amazon were much cheaper.
Any help to get this under the £600 mark?

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking about. It goes for a pretty good price on eBay right now, too.
Though I don't think the change from 1080p -> 1440p is quite as revolutionary as 720 -> 1080, I do think that 120Hz is the most significant improvement since broadband.

kiyomi

Thread;

Why is that memory so cheap? Something seems off, it's listed as 2x4, but also as 4x2048mb. If that's a 2x4GB pair, surely that's an absolute steal, especially when faster speeds can be utilized in XMP profiles?

Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£46.27 @ Amazon UK)
Any help to get this under the £600 mark?

Haven't used it myself but Kharma recommended to me this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DZ6R9GE/

Instead of the CX 500W. Gets you down to £600.

Ra1den

I've got an unusual question. I'm buying six 1920 x 1200 monitors and I want to run them all at once. I won't be gaming, just doing work on them(viewing charts, I am a day trader)

My question is, what is the cheapest graphics card solution that will run all six of these at 1920 x 1200? I assume I can buy two or three cheap cards that could run these no problem. This seems cheaper than buying a single card that can handle all at once.

I was looking at 6450s but they only have one hdmi output, and I'm not even sure if they do multiple monitors at 1920 x 1200...

mr stroke

I've got an unusual question. I'm buying six 1920 x 1200 monitors and I want to run them all at once. I won't be gaming, just doing work on them(viewing charts, I am a day trader)

My question is, what is the cheapest graphics card solution that will run all six of these at 1920 x 1200? I assume I can buy two or three cheap cards that could run these no problem. This seems cheaper than buying a single card that can handle all at once.

I was looking at 6450s but they only have one hdmi output, and I'm not even sure if they do multiple monitors at 1920 x 1200...

Your only option for 6 monitors at once is an AMD card AFAIK.

I am running 4 currently off a NVIDIA but that is the max they allow in surround.

you will need something like this if you want to use only 1 card-

power color eyefinity 6 - 5870-
O5VKIS4.jpg

770 on my 450w psu, yes or no?

This is MY current build that I own and am typing this on, not to be confused with something that I will be building. My question got lost a couple pages back.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Should I get a 1440p monitor? My new rig will be running an R9 290, and I will probably crossfire after a few months. Is it a massive difference?

for ~300 bucks the korean ones aren't too expensive but at this point you might as well wait for 4k monitors to come down in prices.

i didnt get a 1440p monitor for gaming though, i got it for coding and productivity. even with my monitor i prefer to game on a 1080p tv.

if you have to get a monitor riiiight now though, yeah, i would got a 1440p korean monitor, 120hz if you can.

mkenyon

Banned

Two inexpensive NVIDIA cards with the outputs you need.
for ~300 bucks the korean ones aren't too expensive but at this point you might as well wait for 4k monitors to come down in prices.

i didnt get a 1440p monitor for gaming though, i got it for coding and productivity. even with my monitor i prefer to game on a 1080p tv.

if you have to get a monitor riiiight now though, yeah, i would got a 1440p korean monitor, 120hz if you can.
Eh, I'm really underwhelmed by 4k. I mean, it took us this long to get good gaming 1440p panels. Think about how long it's going to take to get proper gaming 4k panels. The ones right now aren't even a single display, they're two tiled images.

Ra1den

Your only option for 6 monitors at once is an AMD card AFAIK.

I am running 4 currently off a NVIDIA but that is the max they allow in surround.

you will need something like this if you want to use only 1 card-

power color eyefinity 6 - 5870-
O5VKIS4.jpg

Thanks, that card is an option, but kind of pricey for my needs. If I could use 2 or 3 cheap cards, I could get by fit a little over 120 bucks. Is it not possible to use, say, two 6450s together?

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks, that card is an option, but kind of pricey for my needs. If I could use 2 or 3 cheap cards, I could get by fit a little over 120 bucks. Is it not possible to use, say, two 6450s together?
Caveat: I don't know how it works in non-crossfire.

But, in crossfire, I know that the outputs only work on one of the cards. Hence my NVIDIA suggestion above.

Ra1den

Caveat: I don't know how it works in non-crossfire.

But, in crossfire, I know that the outputs only work on one of the cards. Hence my NVIDIA suggestion above.

Sounds great... So I could get by with just two? What nvidia card would you recommend for non-gaming use, as inexpensive as possible?

mkenyon

Banned
Sounds great... So I could get by with just two? What nvidia card would you recommend for non-gaming use, as inexpensive as possible?
Yup, just find ones that have the ouputs you need, and work with whatever expansion slots you have in your PC (PCI-E most likely)

Ra1den

5 of the monitors have dvi and display port... And the other one has hdmi or dvi.

I actually haven't picked out a motherboard or CPU or anything really yet... I wanted to figure out the graphics card situation and pick based on those. Any advice on those would also be much appreciated.

kennah

Mkenyon and co, do you guys do PC builds for a living? Is there any way folks can show their appreciation for the help you give?
Purely hobby. I buy and sell used parts a little but usually just for friends.

Close to talking my friend into buying te sleeving tools.

scogoth

Purely hobby. I buy and sell used parts a little but usually just for friends.

Close to talking my friend into buying te sleeving tools.

Do it! When I get home I'll do a short write up of which tools to buy. Some of them are crap; I'm looking at you FrozenPC removal tool

EDIT: also NEVER do it on a modular Cooler Master PSU, stupid design that puts two cables on one pin for PCI connectors.

I'm looking to be increasing the WAF of my gaming habit. Specifically, I'm planning to move my game machine to the basement and have a small chromebox as an XBMC and gaming frontend. I even plan to use WOL to turn the machine on.

What I'm looking to do is upgrade to a point where I can reasonably do in home streaming (GPU Video Encode is a big plus here) and be pretty much be good for the next 5 years of PS4/XB1 games that will also have PC ports.

I guess my big questions here are what levels of GPU and CPU do I need?

Would a i5-4430 and an H81 mobo work fine, or do I need to move to a higher speed or i7?

Same question goes for the GPU. Would a baseline Kepler be fine, or do I need to go with a 770 or similar?

Could I even get away with upgrading the video card now, and the CPU/Mobo later, or will a PCIe 3.0 card balk at a PCIe 1.0 slot?

-------

Your Current Specs: Q6600 / 4GB / ASUS P5W DH DELUXE / 8800GT / W0100RU / R5604-TBK RT / ST2000DX001

Budget: $300-600 - USA

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest:
Light Gaming 5,
Gaming 5,
Emulation (PS2/Wii) 5,
Streaming games in HD 5,

Monitor Resolution: 720p

Looking to reuse any parts?: Case, Power Supply, Hard Drive, DVD drive

When will you build?: Over the next year.

Will you be overclocking?: No

kennah

Do it! When I get home I'll do a short write up of which tools to buy. Some of them are crap; I'm looking at you FrozenPC removal tool

EDIT: also NEVER do it on a modular Cooler Master PSU, stupid design that puts two cables on one pin for PCI connectors.
Cool. He wanted to pay me to make his case insides look nicer and I told him to just buy the tools instead. :) so we'll see.

scogoth

Cool. He wanted to pay me to make his case insides look nicer and I told him to just buy the tools instead. :) so we'll see.

Ugh I would have made some cables for you but school has gotten too busy. Maybe in the summer if you haven't done anything by then.

Now lets talk about cables for the compact splash

Josh378

Hey, after 3 months I was able to complete my build, Here's what is look like from the inside:

Specs:

Intel i7 haswell 4770k
Corsair Vengance DDR3 1866 (16 GB)
Kingston 120GB SSD
Western Digital 10000 rpm RAPTOR drive
1 TB WD Black drive
EVGA Nvidia 780 GTX
Asus Maximus VI Hero motherboard
Thermaltake MK-I Full tower
Corsair HK 750v Power supply

Cooling:

Corsair H60 liquid cooling.

When I first built this computer, I wanted to make sure that cable management was the top priority. I love this case and the option to do water cooling in the future (yea, I am going there once I get my 2nd 780 GTX and water cool everything). Right now, heat is not a problem, but Once I max out this board with SLI, I think I need to look into different options. What you guys think of my cable management for the insides.

kennah

Ugh I would have made some cables for you but school has gotten too busy. Maybe in the summer if you haven't done anything by then.

Now lets talk about cables for the compact splash
I don't have a modular psu so just going to shorten the existing ones. Have a plan for it :)

Nevermind:

Alright. These are the specs of the build! What you think? I managed to snag the i7 for $250 from Micro Center.
i7-4770K
EVGA GeForce GTX760
BIOSTAR|Hi-Fi Z87X 3D Z87 RT
Corsair Carbide Series 200R
WD Blue 1 TB
Corsair Vengeance Blue 8 GB (2X4 GB) PC3-12800
Corsair CX750 Builder Series ATX 80 PLUS Bronze

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
okay i'm about to buy everything but the GPU that i need (gonna wait for a couple weeks on that just to spread it out/see if there's any random deals)

I realized i needed a firewire card -- is this going to affect anything with my updated build? I upped my optical drive to a Blu-Ray reader, as well.

Rosewill PCI to 4x1394 Card Model RC-507
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815166033

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($299.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($129.29 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: D-Link DWA-566 802.11a/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($49.56 @ Adorama)
Case: Rosewill THRONE ATX Full Tower Case ($159.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($58.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1821.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-12 23:01 EST-0500)

I know that kharma suggested to go with the mid-tower case, but i decided I still want to go with the Throne since it has the internal drive bay mounting on the top. the style also fits with what I like in a case, so I'm just gonna get that after all. Didn't see any other case that had a cool style with the mounting bay that was in a convenient angle like it is on the Throne.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
what do you think we will see here?

http://www.gputechconf.com/page/home.html
"Nvidia is hosting its annual GPU Technology Conference (GTC) in San Jose, California, March 24-27. The event is billed as the world’s biggest and most important conference for GPU developers."

announcements. a gtx 800 part by may or june seems reasonable if they're 28nm and unlikely if theyre 20nm.

but yeah, im basically waiting for that conference before i pull the trigger on any gpus.

Sp33Demon

770 on my 450w psu, yes or no?

This is MY current build that I own and am typing this on, not to be confused with something that I will be building. My question got lost a couple pages back.

The reco is a 600-watt but you probably will get away with the 450 as long as you don't drop in a bunch of drives in or start trying to OC. Personally I would suggest a good 550W for headroom. I have a 770 ACX and a Corsair TX-750 but I am also running a 4770K, several drives, fans everywhere and I am overclocked. The 750 is still overkill but I got a great deal on it for $90 out the door.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Wow, this AMD craziness is seriously effecting the 270 series of cards.
270X's and even 270's are more expensive than 760 cards now.

It seems to me like those cards should no longer be recommended for budget to mid-range builds until the cryptocoin madness dies down.
So 660 for a budget build and 760 for a mid-range build, or am I wrong?

Coreda

What is a reliable way of reading the CPU temp? I have open HWiNFO and it's reporting two different readings, some under 'CPU [#0]' and another under a different header that lists the motherboard and chassis temps. SpeedFan appears to also use the second, hotter, temp for it's reading.

RZWHY3F.png

Anyone know which one is accurate?

KTT

The warranty carries over on used parts. It's based on serial #, and for almost all of the AIBs out there, is 3 years from date of purchase as new.

Can you expand on this? Also, what's AIB stand for? Considering a 760 2gb for $200 from the b-stock. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom