• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drop the Corsair RAM to the GSkill stuff Newegg has for $10 less. You could use that to go Haswell with the 4670K plus Biostar Z87W set up.

PSU will be fine. Again Newegg has a good deal on the Rosewill Hive 650w, $50 after rebate. Drop a case fan and get it. Three (2 stock plus one more) is plenty.

Considered USB install? Key seller not provide an ISO link? If not i think Microsoft can, there is a site they have that you can input your serial and get the ISO. I'm on mobile but if i can find it i will post it for you.

Found the MS link but it says that you need to be using the PC you intend on installing it to...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That's interesting. I'm assuming you have a beefy power supply?
850w Seasonic GOLD. Will have to post pics later(at work) but I think my PSU is being pushed to max. Event viewer in W8.1Pro shows a critical kernel power even though undertand that it's not the worse thing all the time.

Thnking about lowering my CPU OC to 4.1ghz and lowering vcore to around 1.260-280 and clock the GPU's back to their modest +30 core/+150mhz on the memory.

Smokey

850w Seasonic GOLD. Will have to post pics later(at work) but I think my PSU is being pushed to max. Event viewer in W8.1Pro shows a critical kernel power even though undertand that it's not the worse thing all the time.

Thnking about lowering my CPU OC to 4.1ghz and lowering vcore to around 1.260-280 and clock the GPU's back to their modest +30 core/+150mhz on the memory.

Yeah its gotta be your PSU. I didn't feel all that great when I had 2x 580 lightning xtremes and that was on a 850w PSU. Your 3930k surely draws more power than my 2600k. Time to step up to the 1000w class bruh!

Gotta love the #enthusiastlife

mkenyon

Banned
No way!

That thing can draw like 1000+ watts, and his machine can't be pulling more than 500-700 at full load.

*edit*

Just double checked the numbers, and it should be around 700-800W at full load. Gaming load should be lower than that even, probably around 500-700.

LiquidMetal14

Pretty conflicted on how to diagnose this. Haven't tinkered with MB settings in BIOS but those GPU's are 2x8pin powered so I really need some sound advice here.

Pachimari

do you have a case and a CPU?

what i5 are you getting? hopefully a K since your board is made for overclocking haswell...

Yeah, I got the case already. This is what I'm getting:

Other stuff to get
- Windows 7 64-bit (700 DKK = $128)
- Sennheiser 363D (1.784 DKK = $327)
- IR receiver.
- Webcam.
- Controller for Big Picture mode in Steam.
- 32" Samsung HDTV (for monitor).
- 5.1 speakers.
- Oculus Rift.

That said, which controller can I use wirelessly with Steam Big Picture mode? A Xbox 360 or Dual Shock 4 controller? Or should I wait for the Steam controller?

riflen

No way!

That thing can draw like 1000+ watts, and his machine can't be pulling more than 500-700 at full load.

I agree. I have 2 x 780 Ti (drawing ~1.1v each at peak) and 3570K @ 4.5 (~1.26) on a HX850 PSU. He will be drawing a little more than me, but not much. I've briefly tested my draw and it peaked at 566W during games.

I'm happy to try some more power tests if it'll help?

mkenyon

Banned
A convincing argument! Haha.

I am tempted. The only issue is, do I want to splurge on a high-end nVidia card right now (while I can get more for my current cards), or wait 12 months and get a better card, but have to pay more due to a lower return on my cards?

Hmm.
Yeah, you do. The 780 and 780 Ti are really amazing cards. You *might* consider sniping a used one, as there will be tons coming on the market here with the Titan Black and 790 releasing.
Pretty conflicted on how to diagnose this. Haven't tinkered with MB settings in BIOS but those GPU's are 2x8pin powered so I really need some sound advice here.
The crashing started specifically with the new cards?
I agree. I have 2 x 780 Ti (drawing ~1.1v each at peak) and 3570K @ 4.5 (~1.26) on a HX850 PSU. He will be drawing a little more than me, but not much. I've briefly tested my draw and it peaked at 566W during games.
Well, SB-E draws significantly more power than an 1155 proc. Even with that accounted for (about double the draw for the proc), it's still way below what the PSU is rated for.

Smokey

No way!

*edit*

Just double checked the numbers, and it should be around 700-800W at full load. Gaming load should be lower than that even, probably around 500-700.

$1,400+ in video cards. He didn't have these issues before the 780s. I'm sure it can pull more than what it says but with $1,400 in GPU's and SB-E I'm not sure I'd wanna play that game. But I'm also super paranoid!

LiquidMetal14

Yeah, you do. The 780 and 780 Ti are really amazing cards. You *might* consider sniping a used one, as there will be tons coming on the market here with the Titan Black and 790 releasing.

The crashing started specifically with the new cards?
Yes. Ha a 4.6ghz OC at 1.360vcore and the GPU OC mentioned earlier with 106% power.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, the math doesn't add up. If it's the PSU, then it's a faulty PSU, which seems really unlikely.

The cheapest way to determine that is to at least get a watt measuring device. Buying a new PSU might not fix the problem, then you'd be out quite a bit of money.

firstly, try small FFTs, since blend doesn't stress your CPU as much. Did you redo the thermal paste with the new cooler? same/different paste?

To do some armchair physics for a minute, it sounds like with poorer ventilation the ambient in your case is a little higher than it was before. The cooler can only cool to the ambient temp (since it's technically passive, there's refrigeration or compression going on), so if ambient is >20C but <65C then you'll see higher temps at idle but less of an effect at load. Just a guess.

I see where you are coming from but is there a reason the idle is jumping up and down 10 degrees a few time a second? I just haven't seen that behaviour before. Yes new thermal paste, CPU cleaned with alcohol, the 212 was a wench to get on as it slid about a bit trying to get the thing fastened down.

Smokey

and here I am looking for 850w PSU. lol

EDIT: in case I SLI 780 in the future. wat PSU should i get

You should be ok with a good 850w PSU for SLI as MK mentioned. Not sure what's going on with Liquids setup.

I usually think of what I may want to do in the future, look at what's recommended, and get something higher than that.Just for my own piece of mind. I have a Seasonic 1000w PSU at the moment. Got it when I had Titans in SLI. I'm down to 1 now so it's massive overkill, however I don't have to worry about power requirements if I opt for SLI or maybe even TRI SLI in future builds.

mkenyon

Banned
saw this on tom's hardware forum and same response as its fine
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1952893/xfx-550w-power-supply-work-gtx-780.html

EDIT: then I saw this site http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
575w for 780. I'm confuse now lol
A 780 pulls around 230W at full load. The rest of a system will pull around 100-175W at full load.

You can run a 780 on a 450W PSU like the Silverstone SFX one.

*edit*

Also, avoid Tom's Hardware. It's like the IGN of Hardware, but worse, because they can't hide behind subjectivity.

Dawg

I think I'm going to buy that Dell U2414H, Dells new ultrasharp monitor.

Apparently, for an IPS, it's nearly as fast as TN when it comes to response rate. It's getting some good reviews.

mkenyon

Banned
I think I'm going to buy that Dell U2414H, their new ultrasharp monitor.

Apparently, for an IPS, it's nearly as fast as TN when it comes to response rate. It's getting some good reviews.
Response rate =/= Motion Resolution (blur).

If you want a gaming monitor, you should look to the QNIX Evolution II if you want IPS, or ASUS VG248QE if you want zero blur.

Read more here.

does anyone have full Amazon Prime membership that can grant me the 2 day free shipping? i need to order a case and the shipping is nuts lol

Currently I have a 6970 and a 6990 in crossfire (well, tri-fire, since the 6990 is really just 2 6970s on one card). I used to use 3 monitors, but I've since changed to a single 1600p IPS panel (I do photography work as well, and it comes in handy BIG time).

Anyway, I've been thinking of upgrading this fall/winter to a single card (since I only have the one monitor now, it seems to make more sense for simplicity's sake, since using crossfire or SLI seems to be a lot of hassle with a lot of games). However, I'm beginning to wonder if AMD prices will ever come down!

But that got me thinking...might it not be worth my while to try and sell my 6970 and 6990 right now, while the bitcoin/dogecoin craze is high? True they aren't selling for the same premiums as 7970s, but they are still well above proper market value. Is is smart for me to ditch the two cards right now, and put that money into a single nVidia card, where the price is at a stable, normal amount?

I'm sort of in the same situation you are. My plan was to grab a high end Maxwell card whenever that comes along. That very well might not be til the end of the year however, and if I do that I risk missing out on selling my 6970 while the price is high.

I dunno what the best plan of attack is. Either sell now and grab a 780 or something, or wait and risk paying a ton more for a next-gen architecture.

I'm sort of in the same situation you are. My plan was to grab a high end Maxwell card whenever that comes along. That very well might not be til the end of the year however, and if I do that I risk missing out on selling my 6970 while the price is high.

I dunno what the best plan of attack is. Either sell now and grab a 780 or something, or wait and risk paying a ton more for a next-gen architecture.

Right. I guess the advantage of getting something newer now is that if you want to sell it in 12 months you'll still get a decent return compared to the 6970, which will have dropped down to regular lower prices by then (theoretically).

Maybe a 780ti is in my future...

Dawg

Response rate =/= Motion Resolution (blur).

If you want a gaming monitor, you should look to the QNIX Evolution II if you want IPS, or ASUS VG248QE if you want zero blur.

Read more here.

I've had a 120hz monitor. The BenQ XL2411T. It frustrated me, I couldn't keep up with the 120fps requirement and it was annoying how it went from zero blur to noticeable blur over and over as the framerate kept changing.

Especially since I play a lot of high-end games on a single GPU and I crave for max graphics :/

mr stroke

No way!

*edit*

Curious you guys with the SLI 780 Ti's, I am considering going to 2x780Ti's but only have a Corsair 750 power supply and really don't want to swap it out. Is a 750 enough? or does this mean I have to go down to vanilla 780's instead of Ti's?

mkenyon

Banned
Should be enough (depending on CPU and exact PSU model), but I think $1400 in video cards warrants the best. If you're looking to drop that much cash, is another $150 too much?

natertots

So I finally got all my parts today and spent the last few hours putting everything together and it works just fine. I am having an issue though. I went back and purchased an asus pcie-n15 wifi card. when i install the card and boot up the pc everything starts up but i don't get a signal for video. when i remove the network card everything is fine. I would be so grateful for any advice or help here, it's driving me nuts.

KTT

What's the absolute best video card right now strictly in terms of price:performance?

I'll be building a new PC within a month or so.. 4670K and probably 8GB of DDR3 RAM. Last build I had was from '08 and hasn't ran for 2-3 years. So I've obviously been out of the loop. I'll be doing a decent amount of programming on it, so I think I'll really enjoy the CPU upgrade from my old Q6600. My old video card was an HD 2900Pro that I spent $300 on at the time.

I don't really want to spend $300 again since I don't feel like I really need the absolute latest tech in terms of a GPU. I'll be gaming at 1080p, but I'll have a BIG backlog of games to keep me busy before I get to the very latest games that are just being released/currently in production. So I feel like going for a 760 or whatever wouldn't really be worth it.

So what's the sweet spot right now? Should I maybe be looking on eBay or somewhere similar? Thanks guys.

Dawg

Well, if you were frustrated with the level of blur on that, you'll be more frustrated with the blur on an IPS panel.

Ugh, I just can't find a screen that suits my needs it seems. I know plenty of people who play games on regular TN's or even IPS screens. Why doesn't the blur bother them? Just look up any screen with like a 1000 user reviews. Not a single person will mention it. It's almost like the blur issue doesn't exist until someone like you mentions it or I browse blurbusters.

I can't even ignore the issue... I've heard some people just grow used to it and don't even notice it but I do. Or well, my eyes do. I don't even have to look for it because my eyes will notice it anyway.

Am I truly the 1% ? At this point I can barely play pc cames because I spend more time looking for something that doesn't exist: a blur-free 60hz monitor. I really miss the CRT days.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, it's an issue of people being accustomed to a certain visual style. Probably a lot of kids who don't really remember using CRTs, or they're part of the generation that thinks "Motion Blur" is a neat graphic option. :p

There's some really neat Sony TVs that have.... VA or IPS panels (can't remember which) but strobe as well at 60Hz and do have reduced motion blur.

http://www.blurbusters.com/new-sony-hdtvs-with-motionflow-impulse-sony-lightboost-equivalent/

There's a 30" one that includes this setting, I can't remember the exact model at the moment though.
What's the absolute best video card right now strictly in terms of price:performance?

I'll be building a new PC within a month or so.. 4670K and probably 8GB of DDR3 RAM. Last build I had was from '08 and hasn't ran for 2-3 years. So I've obviously been out of the loop. I'll be doing a decent amount of programming on it, so I think I'll really enjoy the CPU upgrade from my old Q6600. My old video card was an HD 2900Pro that I spent $300 on at the time.

I don't really want to spend $300 again since I don't feel like I really need the absolute latest tech in terms of a GPU. I'll be gaming at 1080p, but I'll have a BIG backlog of games to keep me busy before I get to the very latest games that are just being released/currently in production. So I feel like going for a 760 or whatever wouldn't really be worth it.

So what's the sweet spot right now? Should I maybe be looking on eBay or somewhere similar? Thanks guys.
GTX 760
So I finally got all my parts today and spent the last few hours putting everything together and it works just fine. I am having an issue though. I went back and purchased an asus pcie-n15 wifi card. when i install the card and boot up the pc everything starts up but i don't get a signal for video. when i remove the network card everything is fine. I would be so grateful for any advice or help here, it's driving me nuts.
Try it in a different PCI-E slot.

Water

I don't really want to spend $300 again since I don't feel like I really need the absolute latest tech in terms of a GPU.
I think you pretty much get what you pay for if you buy a new GPU. It's a market with a lot of competition. Here's one guideline for buying new.
http://anandtech.com/show/7703/desktop-video-card-buyers-guide-january-2014
With used stuff you never know what you happen to find cheaply; I'd just decide on a very rough price range, look at what (relatively modern) GPUs are being sold used in that range, and then look at the benchmarks to know where they stand relative to each other. So then I'd be left with maybe 2-4 different GPUs that are the best for the price range, wait for one of those to come up at a good price, and nab it.

thespot84

I see where you are coming from but is there a reason the idle is jumping up and down 10 degrees a few time a second? I just haven't seen that behaviour before. Yes new thermal paste, CPU cleaned with alcohol, the 212 was a wench to get on as it slid about a bit trying to get the thing fastened down.

are you fan rpm's consistent at idle?

DarkFlow

Banned
Alright. It has better performance or quality? :)

I'm so scared of building my first PC with all these components but I'm gonna watch the videos in the OP and do my best.
Building a PC is like Legos. They only go in one slot, and if you take your time you won't fuck anything up.

So I am going to be ordering parts to build my first PC ever within the next week or two and I am at a bit of a loss as to what to order. If anyone could give me some direction that would be great.

Your Current Specs: Pretty negligible, It is a store bought HP from years back. Runs games like shit and doesn't really have any parts worth carrying over.
Budget: 1700-2000 US Dollars.
Main Use: Gaming (5) Emulation (5) Video Editing (2) General Usage (4).
Monitor Resolution: Will also be buying a monitor separate from the budget for this. Not sure what resolution yet but 1080p at the very least. Will also play on my big screen TV at times.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Looking to be able to run just about everything at 60 fps on relatively high settings but I am mostly a MMO / Online game kind of guy. The next wave of MMO's coming out need to run extremely well for me.
When will you build?: Looking to have it done as soon as possible, but no actual deadline.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe but I have never built a PC before nor overclocked anything before so wouldn't even know where to start.

If someone could throw me a good 2k ish build so I could go from each part and look around at the options and stuff I would be grateful. Trying to piecemeal it together browsing Newegg and stuff is rough since I don't even know all the parts I need.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Heh, signed up for Newegg Premier trial, but the SSD I want only has a limited return policy. I guess I'll just order from crucial directly for 15$ more. M500 mSata 240GB. I don't really want to pay 60$ more for the EVO. Oh well, they are sending me a 32GB USB stick with dat free shipping.

Mkenyon and co, do you guys do PC builds for a living? Is there any way folks can show their appreciation for the help you give?
Mad props to the guys in this thread.
I wish I did. The last PC I built was in 2005 and it was a fun experience. So is keeping up to date on hardware, which I haven't been doing.... :3 Those water cooling pictures a few pages back are sexxyy.

scogoth

Mkenyon and co, do you guys do PC builds for a living? Is there any way folks can show their appreciation for the help you give?

Pay it forward in any way you can whether that be here, another thread or in your own daily life.

Oh and I'm pretty sure he enjoys a good whiskey.

mkenyon

Banned
Hobby for me, though I do build all of the workstations/servers for my business. I think Hazaro either did or still does as part of his job.

You can thank us by building sweet PCs and enjoying them :p
So I am going to be ordering parts to build my first PC ever within the next week or two and I am at a bit of a loss as to what to order. If anyone could give me some direction that would be great.

Your Current Specs: Pretty negligible, It is a store bought HP from years back. Runs games like shit and doesn't really have any parts worth carrying over.
Budget: 1700-2000 US Dollars.
Main Use: Gaming (5) Emulation (5) Video Editing (2) General Usage (4).
Monitor Resolution: Will also be buying a monitor separate from the budget for this. Not sure what resolution yet but 1080p at the very least. Will also play on my big screen TV at times.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Looking to be able to run just about everything at 60 fps on relatively high settings but I am mostly a MMO / Online game kind of guy. The next wave of MMO's coming out need to run extremely well for me.
When will you build?: Looking to have it done as soon as possible, but no actual deadline.
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe but I have never built a PC before nor overclocked anything before so wouldn't even know where to start.

If someone could throw me a good 2k ish build so I could go from each part and look around at the options and stuff I would be grateful. Trying to piecemeal it together browsing Newegg and stuff is rough since I don't even know all the parts I need.

CPU: 4670K
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87-UD3H
RAM: 16GB
SSD: 250-500GB SSD (snipe one on sale, aim for $160 for a 250GB, $280-300 for a 500GB)
PSU: Seasonic G Series 650W
Case: Fractal Define R4
Heatsink: Xigmatek Gaia or Coolermaster Hyper 212
GPU: GTX 780 (EVGA Classified or MSI Lightning recommended)
Soundcard: Sound Blaster Z (virualized surround)
Keyboard: A nice mech keyboard
Mouse: Corsair M95 (MMO mouse, lots of buttons on the side)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom