• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 1. 1080p and 60FPS is so last-gen and your 2500K is fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
If somehow ChromeOS and SteamOS could be merged I could probably use that as my main OS.

Bydobob

I've had a 120hz monitor. The BenQ XL2411T. It frustrated me, I couldn't keep up with the 120fps requirement and it was annoying how it went from zero blur to noticeable blur over and over as the framerate kept changing.

Is that with Lightboost enabled? I have the same monitor and I went from playing in 144hz mode to 120hz with Lightboost and all but eliminated blur. I think the trade-off is a fraction more input lag, but with 1ms to start with it's hardly a big deal.

Dawg

Yeah, it's an issue of people being accustomed to a certain visual style. Probably a lot of kids who don't really remember using CRTs, or they're part of the generation that thinks "Motion Blur" is a neat graphic option. :p

There's some really neat Sony TVs that have.... VA or IPS panels (can't remember which) but strobe as well at 60Hz and do have reduced motion blur.

http://www.blurbusters.com/new-sony-hdtvs-with-motionflow-impulse-sony-lightboost-equivalent/

There's a 30" one that includes this setting, I can't remember the exact model at the moment though.

GTX 760

Try it in a different PCI-E slot.

Well, that explains some stuff. And yeah, I have one of those new sony TVs and that one doesn't bother me nearly as much.

If sony can do it on a 60hz tv... there is hope one of the monitor manufacturers will find out how to make something similar for a 60hz monitor, right? One can only hope.

We'd probably already have something like that if it wasn't for the fact that 99% of costumers don't give a shit. So yeah, now the industry only focused on better colours, higher resolutions, 4K etc

It bothers me that we still have to deal with blurring. It really does. 120hz + lightboost isn't a solution, you lose too much and I don't like the requirement of 120fps. A regular single gpu pc isn't made to maintain 120fps. It's already difficult enough to maintain 60fps in some newer games. I guess it's ok if you have money for an SLI system or you can live with medium graphics but I can't :(

Is that with Lightboost enabled? I have the same monitor and I went from playing in 144hz mode to 120hz with Lightboost and all but eliminated blur. I think the trade-off is a fraction more input lag, but with 1ms to start with it's hardly a big deal.

I was already happy with the 120hz performance without lightboost tbh. This specific monitor had some overshoot issues though, but you could fix that when you disabled OD. Still, main issue was the 120fps. I couldn't maintain it since I'm a freak when it comes to max graphics and stable fps. It was all over the place all the time.

If I want to upgrade in two stages:

Graphics Card: 8800GT -> GTX 770

CPU/MB/RAM: Q6600 -> i7-4771

Should I be able to do the Graphics card first, or or is the PCIe 3.0 card going to balk at a PCIe 1.0 slot?

Niks

Quick question guys, I bought a gigabyte 770, should I download the latest drivers for it from gigabyte, or directly from nvidia? Thanks

kharma45

Quick question guys, I bought a gigabyte 770, should I download the latest drivers for it from gigabyte, or directly from nvidia? Thanks
Nvidia.

If I want to upgrade in two stages:

Graphics Card: 8800GT -> GTX 770

CPU/MB/RAM: Q6600 -> i7-4771

Should I be able to do the Graphics card first, or or is the PCIe 3.0 card going to balk at a PCIe 1.0 slot?

Get a 4770K to overclock, and a Z87 mobo with a cooler like a Hyper 212. If you're spending i7 money best to do it right.

PCIe 3 is backwards compatible. It'll not be as quick but it will still work.

scogoth

What is a reliable way of reading the CPU temp? I have open HWiNFO and it's reporting two different readings, some under 'CPU [#0]' and another under a different header that lists the motherboard and chassis temps. SpeedFan appears to also use the second, hotter, temp for it's reading.

RZWHY3F.png

Anyone know which one is accurate?

They are all accurate, they are reporting different things. The first set is reporting the individual CPU core temperatures and the second set is reporting the CPU package temperature (the whole chip rather than just the CPU cores).

You want to look at the CPU cores. They won't all be the same so just go by the hottest one to be safe.

FLAguy954

AMD is releasing the R7 265, which is essentially a 7850 with Mantle and True-Audio goodness. It's releasing at the end of the month for $150.

index.php

265-block-diagram.jpg

A review of the GPU by Tom's Hardware

This is honestly the sweet spot for me price/performance-wise. I'm gonna be one of the first to grab one of these before miners and bullshit retailers cause a mark-up to the thing :/

kharma45

Oh that's gonna be fucking great. Really surprised at True Audio too.

Miners won't bother with this card though, too low end tbh

Edit - There isn't an True Audio.

Dawg

mkenyon,

Friend of mine wants to get the Prodigy as well, he's going for the enthusiast with the CM V700.

Now, that fan is bigger than a normal PSU and one user review on the internet shows this:

qhrw.jpg

99wr.jpg

Guy said it's too long and won't fit but will just use long screws to make sure it can't move anymore.

kharma45

Stupid question but I need confirmation. 760 with 4GB VRAM is a better deal than a 770 2GB VRAM right?

Pricing would help here but I'm going to say not really. I doubt it'll ever come to the stage where the 4GB of VRAM on the 760 will truly be all that useful. You'll likely need a new card by that stage. For 1080p 2GB is still totally fine.

Thread;

Why is that memory so cheap? Something seems off, it's listed as 2x4, but also as 4x2048mb. If that's a 2x4GB pair, surely that's an absolute steal, especially when faster speeds can be utilized in XMP profiles?

I honestly don't know but I think GAF might have bought out all of them. Its out of stock at this price now :(

harSon

Banned
I ended up buying a refurbished XPS 8700 from Dell Outlet using a 25% off coupon.

It has a:
Intel Core 4th Generation i7-4770 Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.9 GHz)
Windows 8
1TB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive 6.0 Gb/s
16 GB DDR3 Memory
8X Blu-Ray BD Combo (Blu-ray ROM + DVD+/- RW)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1.0GB GDDR5

For $561 plus tax.

I already have a 240 GB SSD drive, so I'm just going to end up copping a GeForce GTX 760 and call it a day.

Is that a good deal? I still have time to cancel it, but I figured I wouldn't be able to piece something like together for cheaper...

kharma45

Yeah it's a good price. You'll not be able to OC your CPU but it is decent value. Dell's PSUs are generally OK too, 460w in that so it'll handle a 760 fine.

Building yourself you're looking at this roughly

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Biostar Hi-Fi Z87W ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($98.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $537.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-13 11:33 EST-0500)

no copy of Windows though, and you can sell the 650 Ti too from the Dell build.

Jafku

mkenyon

Banned
mkenyon,

Friend of mine wants to get the Prodigy as well, he's going for the enthusiast with the CM V700.

Now, that fan is bigger than a normal PSU and one user review on the internet shows this:

qhrw.jpg

99wr.jpg

Guy said it's too long and won't fit but will just use long screws to make sure it can't move anymore.
Good catch. I had always assumed it was the same size as the Seasonic/Corsair/XFX Pro because they're all the same unit, looks as it is a tad longer than those though. Specs on Newegg confirm that.

Dawg

Good catch. I had always assumed it was the same size as the Seasonic/Corsair/XFX Pro because they're all the same unit, looks as it is a tad longer than those though. Specs on Newegg confirm that.

It's a shame, I was looking at it and Cooler Master seems to have really made a fantastic PSU. Impossible to get coil whine, even the Seasonic G-650 has (somewhat small) chance you might get coil whine.

Most PSU's also make some kind of electrical noise if you place your ear close to it, this one doesn't.

Now I want one too even if it is too big :(

mkenyon

Banned
If there's coil whine, you can always RMA it. Took me about a week to get everything to Seasonic and back when I had a unit with it.

kiyomi

Thread;

Why is that memory so cheap? Something seems off, it's listed as 2x4, but also as 4x2048mb. If that's a 2x4GB pair, surely that's an absolute steal, especially when faster speeds can be utilized in XMP profiles?

I honestly don't know but I think GAF might have bought out all of them. Its out of stock at this price now :(

lol Yeah, I should've tried to buy some last night. I checked today, and they were all gone. I think it was an error, honestly.

So since I am selling my 6990 and 6970, I am looking at either a 780 or 780ti as a replacement.

Currently in Canada the 780 sells for around $600 ($547.55 US) and the ti sells for $750-$800 (684.39 - 730.02 US).

Right now the MSI 780ti boost is on for $699 (637.88 US). Is that a pretty good deal? Basically, it means the 780ti is only $90 US more than the 780.

kharma45

Good unit that.

Cooler Master V700 is also $90, bit higher end again http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...301&nm_mc=AFC-IR&cm_mmc=AFC-IR-_-na-_-na-_-na

review of it here http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=360

If you're worried that 700w ain't enough in the Fudzilla review

'In standby mode the power consumption was just 0.2W. Our test rig featured an EVGA X79 FTW motherboard, Sandy Bridge-E Core i7 3820 (4.2GHz) and two Geforce GTX 780 cards in SLI. We used Prime95 to stress the CPU and Unigine Heaven to stress the graphics cards. Under full CPU and graphics card load, V700 ran like a charm. Maximum consumption was 656W.'

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/3...d/32186-cooler-master-v700-reviewed?showall=1

I'd probably lean towards it but it'll cost more up front before the rebate as there is no discount code. Still, the Corsair is also great.

What is the difference of a normal video card and a ti? Like a 780 and 780ti?

Ti's are a higher end model. 780 Ti is clocked higher iirc and has more CUDA cores.

So since I am selling my 6990 and 6970, I am looking at either a 780 or 780ti as a replacement.

Currently in Canada the 780 sells for around $600 ($547.55 US) and the ti sells for $750-$800 (684.39 - 730.02 US).

Right now the MSI 780ti boost is on for $699 (637.88 US). Is that a pretty good deal? Basically, it means the 780ti is only $90 US more than the 780.

For a Ti it's not a bad deal but for me the 780 is still better value. If you can afford the Ti model though it's a great card no doubt.

The reco is a 600-watt but you probably will get away with the 450 as long as you don't drop in a bunch of drives in or start trying to OC. Personally I would suggest a good 550W for headroom. I have a 770 ACX and a Corsair TX-750 but I am also running a 4770K, several drives, fans everywhere and I am overclocked. The 750 is still overkill but I got a great deal on it for $90 out the door.

Thanks for the response! I'll prolly go with a 550 or maybe 650 if I'm feeling frisky.

Another question, selling prices for 6850 and a 7850? Aren't the Doge coin mining losers messing up the usual selling rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom