• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was your gameplan for this? Did you literally wait up and have the page open lol

I woke up this morning and saw the alert that it was in stock at 2am or so

I work nights so I'm usually up around that time even when not working due to habit, was watching a movie and had my SP2 to the side in case the nowinstock alarm went off. Finally managed to get lucky with the timing.

ekgrey

I work nights so I'm usually up around that time even when not working due to habit, was watching a movie and had my SP2 to the side in case the nowinstock alarm went off. Finally managed to get lucky with the timing.

what's an SP2?

and congrats! haha

edit: also, Smokey, i thought you had one? didn't you a post a picture of the box in your cart at Micro Center around the time you got back from your honeymoon?

I would be going from a i5-3750K to a new Broadwell i7. Or would is really Skylake going to make a huge difference in performance between the two? I also assume Broadwell will make DDR4 a standard correct?

So basically... should I just get a Broadwell chip? Or is that the one chip that will be phased out fast?

I don't think Broadwell is going to support DDR4. It still uses Z97 mobos and those are only DDR3.

LilJoka

UK People, cross post from buy sell trade thread:

Selling my Gigabyte GTX 780
Location United Kingdom/London (can pickup if your close)
Price £215 + Delivery (welcome to negotiate).

This card has the unlocked Bios flashed meaning it will not downclock under power constraints nVidia enforced unless you tell it to do so. That means much higher performance than stock cards.

Its clocked 901Mhz core, 3000Mhz memory at stock, but will happily bench Valley at 1200Mhz core, 3600Mhz memory at 1.21v. And for my daily overclock i use 1071Mhz core, 3200Mhz memory at stock volts (1.16v).

At bench clocks it gets 77fps in Ultra HD preset Valley bench at 1080p.
And i did a Tomb Raider benchmark against my friends GTX 970, i scored 117fps average with my daily overclock, he scored 126fps average with his daily overclock. So very competitive card for the price difference.

I have original invoice to provide and original BIOS file so that warranty can be claimed. Around 1.5 years warranty left, i got the card close to GTX 780 release date.

If you want more benches let me know, i have Batman Arkham City, Metro LL, Unigene Heaven and probably a few more on hand.

Card is obviously in mint condition, and i have dismantled the heatsink shroud to give it a clean only recently. That did not require removing the heatsink, so thermal paste and pads have not been touched.

I have original box too.

So if you cant push to get a GTX 970, then this is a good buy!

10546963_715644851818593_747865191_n.jpg

1723805_219253308258082_1938671407_n.jpg

SugarDave

If I'm going with 16GB RAM should I go with 2x8 or 4x4 sticks? The motherboard will have dual channel architecture so I'm guessing the 8gig ones?

Cross my fingers, but I believe I've discovered the root cause of my USB issues on my new PC, the issue that compelled me to attempt a failed BIOS upgrade. My keyboard has an n-key rollover mode and it was enabled. It has always been fine on my previous PC but it seems to wreak havoc with my new PC's USB drivers. I've returned to 6-key rollover mode a few days ago and ever since the issues I was having before haven't resurfaced.

ombz

If I'm going with 16GB RAM should I go with 2x8 or 4x4 sticks? The motherboard will have dual channel architecture so I'm guessing the 8gig ones?

I don't have any benchmarks off hand but I doubt you would experience much of a difference between the two. I would go with 2x8 so you can expand later unless the 4x4 is a lot cheaper.

Smokey

what's an SP2?

and congrats! haha

edit: also, Smokey, i thought you had one? didn't you a post a picture of the box in your cart at Micro Center around the time you got back from your honeymoon?

I do have one. It's great. I have the alert on just in case I happen to be at a pc when its in stock. Things might happen.

SugarDave

I don't have any benchmarks off hand but I doubt you would experience much of a difference between the two. I would go with 2x8 so you can expand later unless the 4x4 is a lot cheaper.

The 4x4 would actually cost a tiny bit more, but somebody who I'm not entirely sure knew what they're talking about said it would perform better so I thought I'd double-check here.

Matty8787

So I'm wanting to move the PC from the spare room to the living room and run it through the tv, problem is the other half will only allow me to if I get rid of my CM HAF 912!

I agreed to this if I could find a small enough case to fit in with the surround sound/blu ray player etc.

I currently have a ASUS P8Z68-V Pro mobo with a gtx 770 4gb. Not sure I need to mention the other parts as they are the largest ones.

So GAF, what case is big enough to fit the parts but small enough to look the part?

Cheers.

Really? Didn't think it was refresh but an entirely new socket? Also, is Skylake really going to be out late next year?

Skylake is supposed to hit next year, but the desktop versions seem to be low priority lately. It's possible we'll get the mobile version and the desktop won't be till 2016.

Skylake is supposed to hit next year, but the desktop versions seem to be low priority lately. It's possible we'll get the mobile version and the desktop won't be till 2016.

That's quite fucking lame. Then wouldn't Broadwell actually be a good idea? I know it would be similar to Haswell, but the die shrink would probably do wonders right?

LordAlu

So I'm wanting to move the PC from the spare room to the living room and run it through the tv, problem is the other half will only allow me to if I get rid of my CM HAF 912!

I agreed to this if I could find a small enough case to fit in with the surround sound/blu ray player etc.

I currently have a ASUS P8Z68-V Pro mobo with a gtx 770 4gb. Not sure I need to mention the other parts as they are the largest ones.

So GAF, what case is big enough to fit the parts but small enough to look the part?

Cheers.
Maybe the Fractal Node 605?

Have to wait for the performance benchmarks. Personally though if I had a 2500K or newer I'd just try to ride it out.

I have an i5-3570K on a ASRock Z77 Professional. If I wasn't going to up my CPU/mobo, then I was thinking of still getting dual SLI GTX 970s, a new PSU and a new case (would be selling my PSU and GFX card to my brother). But considering how my board is, I'd have to get a different sound card (I have an HT Omega Striker, which is PCI), which would probably be the Creative Sound Blaster Z and sit it above the first GFX card.

I have an i5-3570K on a ASRock Z77 Professional. If I wasn't going to up my CPU/mobo, then I was thinking of still getting dual SLI GTX 970s, a new PSU and a new case (would be selling my PSU and GFX card to my brother). But considering how my board is, I'd have to get a different sound card (I have an HT Omega Striker, which is PCI), which would probably be the Creative Sound Blaster Z and sit it above the first GFX card.

Yeah I think the GPU upgrade would be a much better investment than the CPU right now. If you were waiting for Broadwell I don't see that releasing before Witcher 3 in February. That's probably the next big hurdle in (optimized) system requirements. If that game sees a noticeable improvement from Broadwell, maybe then you'll want to consider it.

appaws

Banned
for some reason that link takes me to a subscription thing?

but i did find the review on the site. good stuff, though i'll be sticking with my Strix. :D

seems like there is a paywall

edit: nevermind, there's a link on the side

Essential reading for any of you considering a GTX 970....or in the process of deciding which one to buy....:

http://techreport.com/review_full/27203/geforce-gtx-970-cards-from-msi-and-asus-reviewed

Oops!

I put in the wrong link....

Here is the right one...

http://techreport.com/review/27203/geforce-gtx-970-cards-from-msi-and-asus-reviewed

ekgrey

I'm guessing Surface Pro 2.

And Smokey needs three of everything.

ahhh, right.

and of course. silly me.
Really? Didn't think it was refresh but an entirely new socket? Also, is Skylake really going to be out late next year?

Sandy Bridge -> Ivy Bridge
Haswell -> Broadwell

Haswell is a tock. Skylake is the next tock.

The free back-plate for my EVGA 970 just arrived

so sexy.

I do have one. It's great. I have the alert on just in case I happen to be at a pc when its in stock. Things might happen.

oh lord haha

Bebpo

Banned
Ended up getting an EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 from Newegg since it was the only place with a 980 in stock and I just grabbed the first thing in stock 970 or 980 related because I want a card so I can put together my new build. But now I'm reading that some people are having stability issues with this card, that EVGA overlocked it too fast and it's an unstable card at stock? Having buyer's remorse already and not sure what to do now. Newegg doesn't take returns unless it's defective and if the actual design is flawed, RMA-ing it will just produce the same problems over and over.

Vamphuntr

Here is what I plan on getting to build my PC. Any comments or help would be appreciated. As I said before this is the first PC I'm building so if you think something is really terrible please tell me T.T

I'm in Canada BTW :

Intel Core i7-4790K 370$

Asus Strix GF GTX970 DCU II OC 4GB GDDR5 389$

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 135$

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 188$

Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 120$

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" 58$

Phanteks “ Enthoo Pro Series “ PH-ES614P_BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case 100$

Cooler Master V750 – Compact 750W 80 PLUS Gold 120$

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan 35$

ASUS 24X DVD Burner 18$

Total 1414$ CDN

I'll check the comments and suggestions later tonight. Thanks GAF!

ekgrey

everything looks great to me. nice system for sure. you could cut back to 8GB RAM to save some money but it's certainly not gonna hurt to have extra, especially if you do more than gaming/interneting.

i'd ditch the DVD drive, but if you need it, you need it.

very nice choices on everything, though. hope you've a nice monitor! (and a good mouse and mechanical keyboard, of course.)

Hey guys, my TP link wireless card sucks ass, so I'm returning it. Can anyone recommend a wifi card that should work out of the box? This is pretty annoying that the card I bought came with drivers that don't work. I tried multiple google searches, so I'm giving up with this.

Does intel or asus make decent wireless cards? I found some on amazon.

Grums

Neo Member
Hey,

Im on a budget and considering getting a Zotac AMP 670. Looking for some advice on weather this will run current games well. Alien, Shadow of Mordor etc. Also, is 4GB a big difference over 2GB? Right now I can only afford a 2GB card, but is a 4gb card worth the extra money?

Thanks.

knitoe

Ended up getting an EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 from Newegg since it was the only place with a 980 in stock and I just grabbed the first thing in stock 970 or 980 related because I want a card so I can put together my new build. But now I'm reading that some people are having stability issues with this card, that EVGA overlocked it too fast and it's an unstable card at stock? Having buyer's remorse already and not sure what to do now. Newegg doesn't take returns unless it's defective and if the actual design is flawed, RMA-ing it will just produce the same problems over and over.
EVGA aren't the only brand that has issue with factory OCs. Generally, its a very tiny number. So, RMA and getting another card should fix it.
i find it really hard to believe that EVGA wouldn't know how to correctly overclock their cards.
They know how to OC, but theirs, or others, testing method(s) aren't always 100% stable. You will notice when 99% of the games run fine, but find one causes issue and you need to run at none factory OC speed, default stock, to work correctly.

So I have a real small question to ask and I'm hoping someone can answer it. I have several 4-pin case fan plugs on my mobo and also my case comes with a fan header where I can plug everything in the back(Phantek Enthoo Pro). What would be the best way to plug the fans in? I have a couple 4-pin ones and the header included with the case appears to be only 3-pin. If I plug everything in the mobo I can control all the fan RPMs even if they're 3-pin right?

Lastly, I know you can plug 3-pin fans into the 4-pin slots but my question is does it matter what 3 pins I use or do you have to plug them into very specific pins on the 4-pin?

Kvik

So I have a real small question to ask and I'm hoping someone can answer it. I have several 4-pin case fan plugs on my mobo and also my case comes with a fan header where I can plug everything in the back(Phantek Enthoo Pro). What would be the best way to plug the fans in? I have a couple 4-pin ones and the header included with the case appears to be only 3-pin. If I plug everything in the mobo I can control all the fan RPMs even if they're 3-pin right?

Check your motherboard's manual and/or software. See if there's any option to control the fans on PWM mode (4 pins) or DC mode (3 pins). On a high-end Asus motherboards you can control both from the BIOS.

Lastly, I know you can plug 3-pin fans into the 4-pin slots but my question is does it matter what 3 pins I use or do you have to plug them into very specific pins on the 4-pin?

There are two small bumps on the connector which indicates the position in which it should be plugged in to the header.

16546da8dd1bfde1.jpg

Check your motherboard's manual and/or software. See if there's any option to control the fans on PWM mode (4 pins) or DC mode (3 pins). On a high-end Asus motherboards you can control both from the BIOS.

There are two small bumps on the connector which indicates the position in which it should be plugged in to the header.

16546da8dd1bfde1.jpg

Thanks man. I think my mobo does support PWM mode it's an Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2. I think I'll just plug them into my mobo tomorrow and see if I can tweak them in the BIOS.

Kvik

Cool. I don't have experience with Sabertooth boards, but most likely you will be able to control the fan curve in the BIOS as well.

axb2013

Here is what I plan on getting to build my PC. Any comments or help would be appreciated. As I said before this is the first PC I'm building so if you think something is really terrible please tell me T.T

I'm in Canada BTW :

Intel Core i7-4790K 370$

Asus Strix GF GTX970 DCU II OC 4GB GDDR5 389$

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 135$

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 188$

Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 120$

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" 58$

Phanteks “ Enthoo Pro Series “ PH-ES614P_BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case 100$

Cooler Master V750 – Compact 750W 80 PLUS Gold 120$

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan 35$

ASUS 24X DVD Burner 18$

Total 1414$ CDN

I'll check the comments and suggestions later tonight. Thanks GAF!

That's a full tower! For $100! Very nice, it's been a while since I looked at cases, last time I checked $100 could only get you refurbished full tower. I like that case a lot.

That's a very nice rig. If I had to nitpick, I would point to Antec or Seasonic for a PSU but you could dismiss that as a envious observer comment and you would probably be right for doing so. Good match between components and PSU keeps the option open to add a second GPU down the road.

I'm waiting for the ASUS Strix 970 to be in stock at Newegg. These things sell out fast.

Still waiting for Amazon to ship my 980. Last part for my PC. If I was you I'd buy one now so they'll ship when they get in stock unless you're waiting to see a deal or something. I doubt you'll see one anytime soon due to demand. Buying now puts you in a queue rather than just tracking it with software everyday and you must be ready to buy it before it goes bye bye. At least ordering it out of stock gives you peace of mind as soon as they get them you'll receive one. That's what I did on Amazon. I got tired of trying to track them.

Vamphuntr

I'll have a friend with experience to help me install the parts because I don't think I can do it alone. I'll start ordering the parts this week so I that I have all the parts for the end of the month. OP spreadsheet was very useful in choosing parts. Hopefully I don't receive any lemons :S

Is it true that it may fry or mess up the sound card if I did a set up like this? I ask this, because someone mentioned it on another forum.

Sound card
GFX Card
----------
Empty
GFX Card
----------
Empty

I'm stuck with my ASRock Z77 Professional and that is what the layout would be if I got dual GTX 970s and a new sound card (since my current card is a HT Omega Striker, which is PCI, not PCI-e).

clem84

Gold Member
I need to test how well my GPU performs under heavy load. Is there like a free demo of a game available now that would really push my GPU?

RGM79

Hey guys, my TP link wireless card sucks ass, so I'm returning it. Can anyone recommend a wifi card that should work out of the box? This is pretty annoying that the card I bought came with drivers that don't work. I tried multiple google searches, so I'm giving up with this.

Does intel or asus make decent wireless cards? I found some on amazon.

Just to be sure, laptop or desktop? For brands I trust, I'd go with Asus or Linksys.

Darklord

Banned
I have a couple of questions. In the OP pretty much all the higher end systems have a K cpu. If I don't really overclock or have no plans to, should I get the 4690 instead of the 4690K?

Also, is there any point in getting 16gb Ram? Does any game even need that? Should I go cheaper and get 8gb?

jfoul

Damn, I missed the stock alert for the Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 at 7:03pm. That's what I get for sleeping.

No sleep till Geforce GTX 970.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom