• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moobabe

Either brand is fine.

Your card was on the enthusiast end of the spectrum in 2009-2010. It's a 5870, 5850 or 5850. The CPU was pretty good at that time as well but it would be your bottleneck in a lot of games if you were to for say a GTX970 today.

Yup either brand will work. Toms has a GPU hierarchy at the end of the article, it's really handy (if not super exact): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Your card is either a 5850 or 5870, so tier 9 or 10 from the top. AMD's R9 270X is probably a good bet, or a clearance R9 280 if you can find one, but wait for some other people in this thread to respond with more input.

Thanks a bunch guys - yeah I'll wait and see. There's a 270 here for a pretty good price - less than I was expecting actually.

And the 280 is about £10 more expensive on amazon.

Smokey

I'm wondering if having a Z68 board, with my 980 could be creating some issues? Ever since I swapped my 660 Ti for my 980, I've had at least one problem in every game. My latest being a weird grid pattern all over the screen when playing Kingdoms of Amalur. In other games I've gotten issues that should only arise when using SLI, so I'm pretty much at a loss as what to do aside from reinstalling my OS, as I've clean wiped and reinstalled my Nvidia driver like 10 times.

Are you on most recent BIOS for that board?

Matty8787

So I think I have settled on the Silverstone SST-GD08B for my gaming htpc case!

Gunna look at booting into xbmc and running steam through that using an addon.

Thoughts?

Is it a universal standard to plug a 24 pin into the motherboard or is it different for all mobos? My mobo manual is confusing me. Pretty sure the clip on my PSU is supposed to be on the opposite side of the clip on the mobo connection and I think it's showing that in the manual but it's not entirely clear.

b0bbyJ03

does a mouse pad make a big difference for fps gaming? i feel like when i move the mouse it seems a little jumpy in fps games. wondering if a smoother pad would make help.

LilJoka

Here is what I plan on getting to build my PC. Any comments or help would be appreciated. As I said before this is the first PC I'm building so if you think something is really terrible please tell me T.T

I'm in Canada BTW :

Intel Core i7-4790K 370$

Asus Strix GF GTX970 DCU II OC 4GB GDDR5 389$

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard 135$

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 188$

Crucial MX100 CT256MX100SSD1 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) 120$

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" 58$

Phanteks “ Enthoo Pro Series “ PH-ES614P_BK Black Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case 100$

Cooler Master V750 – Compact 750W 80 PLUS Gold 120$

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan 35$

ASUS 24X DVD Burner 18$

Total 1414$ CDN

I'll check the comments and suggestions later tonight. Thanks GAF!

Is there some reason you chose to go ATX, rather than mATX or even ITX?
If you plan to SLI, its usually the best idea to SLI now, otherwise buy the single best GPU you can afford and then in a few years, sell it and buy the next. If you are running multi monitor setups, then SLI is needed either way.

BlizzyAzz

Yeah that's what I'm doing!

This is what i've come up with so far:

• INTEL Core i5 4460 3.20GHz 6MB Socket 1150 BOX [177,50 €]
• GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H [66,00 €]
• 1LIFE Caixa ATX c:great 500W Preto [30,75 €]
• GIGABYTE GeForce GTX750 OC 2GB DDR5 PCI-E - GV-N750OC-2GI [119,90 €]
• KINGSTON HyperX Blu Red 4GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9 PC12800 [41,00 €]
• TOSHIBA 500GB SATA III 32MB 7200 RPM - DT01ACA050 [48,90 €]

Total: 504,05 €

Take a look at the "Good - Very Capable" build in the topic. Switch the i5 for an i3 4150 and put the money towards a AMD 280.

67202.png

61444.png

appaws

Banned
Yeah that's what I'm doing!

This is what i've come up with so far:

I have no idea about retailers in Portugal, pricing, or what is even available. Going by the exchange rate as of today between the US Dollar and the Euro, a 500E budget is about $635 US.

Take a look at this build I threw together for just a bit more than that. This is the way I would go for your budget range....

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qBxqwP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qBxqwP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $689.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-21 16:39 EDT-0400

That works out to about 540 Euro I think....although I know you guys have a lot more taxes and stuff than we do....

The best thing about the Z97 Mobo and Pentium Anniversary combo is that it gives you an upgrade path to a Broadwell i5 or i7 next year when you have a some more money!! Make that change and throw in a GTX 970 or similar and you have gone from an entry level system to a mid-high end system!

Okay folks, I've got in my hot little hands a gift card for about $225 (Canadian) from Future Shop (basically Best Buy.) Help me figure out what to do with it! No, the card's not cashable, so don't tell me I can get stuff cheaper elsewhere, cause I know I can, but that's not the issue.

I've got a Core i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz, and my video card is a Radeon HD 4870.

Is now the right time to get a new video card? If so, what's a good card for my money? I'm not brand loyal, and I'm looking for something hopefully low-maintenance (meaning, it's not fiddly with drivers and it won't blow up on me because my room is hot.)

Specifically, there's this 750Ti 2GB (hopefully that stupidly long URL works) that's on sale for 170 until Thursday. Would this be "doing it right" or am I setting myself up for a mistake?

Or should I just buy 3DS games with the gift card? I didn't see Steam gift cards on their website so that option's out too.

Repeat: the point isn't that the cards are expensive here. I know, but I've gotta use my gift card on something. I could buy 3DS games with it, but that would mean keeping my 4870 for a while longer.

So, I just hooked everything up. I'm mad because I don't have an adapter for the 4+4 pin CPU connection and I had to run it across my mobo with a big ugly cable just there. I need to get an extension so I can run it behind my case.

Before I fire it up in a bit...I just want to make sure this is correct. I'm probably overthinking it as I always do but the main 24 mobo connection the huge clip on the PSU is supposed to line up on the side of the mobo with the huge clip right? Same goes for the 4+4 CPU connection...the clips are supposed to be plugged into the clip on the mobo connection right? I just used common sense there because the manual didn't do a good job describing either and for reason my 24 pin didn't plug ALL the way down which annoys me. It's barely noticeable but still has me worried about a possible short.

Lastly, I'm probably going to use integrated until my GPU comes. What CPU temps should a 4790k have with a hyper 212 evo on it so I can check them immediately? I didn't do a great thermal paste job so I'm worried about that too.

Gurrry

CyberPower PC is a fucking scam ass company and should be treated as such.

What a crock of shit.

My best friend got a PC from them a few months ago and it had been having random shut offs since day 1. He emailed them about it and told them, they said he needed to send it in. Well, life happens sometimes, so it took a little bit to get it sent.

Anyway, today he finally called them to set up the return/repair..

They charged him 100 fucking dollars to do so.

What the fuck?!

How the fuck can you send someone a broken piece of shit then expect them to pay to send it back to you? This is some seriously crooked business practices and I urge ANYONE here that is considering using this company to build their PC to re-think their choice.

I understand that shipping isnt free, but how in the fuck can you send someone that is broken and still have them pay for shipping (100 fucking dollars nonetheless). What happens when they send it back and it isnt in working order AGAIN? Another 100 dollars? How many 100 dollar bills is he going to have to give them to fix the fucking issue?

What the fuck was the 3 year warranty that he bought even for?

Bullshit. Do NOT use Cyberpower PC.

What a crock of shit.

My best friend got a PC from them a few months ago and it had been having random shut offs since day 1. He emailed them about it and told them, they said he needed to send it in. Well, life happens sometimes, so it took a little bit to get it sent.

What the fuck?!

How the fuck can you send someone a broken piece of shit then expect them to pay to send it back to you? This is some seriously crooked business practices and I urge ANYONE here that is considering using this company to build their PC to re-think their choice.

I understand that shipping isnt free, but how in the fuck can you send someone that is broken and still have them pay for shipping (100 fucking dollars nonetheless). What happens when they send it back and it isnt in working order AGAIN? Another 100 dollars? How many 100 dollar bills is he going to have to give them to fix the fucking issue?

Maybe the 100$ where for shipping + actually checking what was wrong with it?
Was it a pre-built PC? Or did he order parts and put them together?

The Llama

What a crock of shit.

What the fuck?!

I remember hearing some bad things about them in the past but this seems a little harsh without knowing more details. But it sounds like like he just had to pay the shipping costs?

Gurrry

Maybe the 100$ where for shipping + actually checking what was wrong with it?
Was it a pre-built PC? Or did he order parts and put them together?

It was a one of their "deals" they offer from time to time. So I guess its pre-built? They usually a low grade, mid grade, and high grade version. He got the mid grade. It cost like 1200 dollars including the monitor. We customized it just a bit on the inside before purchasing, but nothing that wouldve caused random shut offs to occurr.

Honestly, my guess is that its the power supply. But no one is paying me 100 dollars to figure that out.

Ignoring my sarcastic nature for a second, I still dont think they should be charging customers for shipping/labor that receive items that arent in working order in the first place. Why didnt they realize that there was an issue before they sent it to him?

It seems like they just send out broken shit and then charge people who go through the trouble of sending it back to them in the first place.

So, I just hooked everything up. I'm mad because I don't have an adapter for the 4+4 pin CPU connection and I had to run it across my mobo with a big ugly cable just there. I need to get an extension so I can run it behind my case.

Before I fire it up in a bit...I just want to make sure this is correct. I'm probably overthinking it as I always do but the main 24 mobo connection the huge clip on the PSU is supposed to line up on the side of the mobo with the huge clip right? Same goes for the 4+4 CPU connection...the clips are supposed to be plugged into the clip on the mobo connection right? I just used common sense there because the manual didn't do a good job describing either and for reason my 24 pin didn't plug ALL the way down which annoys me. It's barely noticeable but still has me worried about a possible short.

Lastly, I'm probably going to use integrated until my GPU comes. What CPU temps should a 4790k have with a hyper 212 evo on it so I can check them immediately? I didn't do a great thermal paste job so I'm worried about that too.
The clips on the ATX cables will face the outside of the motherboard. They should both click into place, such that you can't remove either cable without pressing in on the clip mechanism. Is this the case? If not try reseating them.

jfoul

GTX 970 back in stock at Newegg. I picked up the Asus GTX 970 for $338.41 after code.

I received the stock alert from NowInStockNow two hours earlier than the Newegg auto notify.

GIGABYTE GV-N970G1 GAMING-4GD
GIGABYTE GV-N970WF3OC-4GD
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5

Use code: NAF140671 for %5 off entire order up to $50

*Promo Code valid until October 21, 2014, 11:59PM PDT or when funds are exhausted. This code may not be redeemed for cash or credited into your account for future use. Offer limited to one per customer and may only be used once per account; cannot be combined with other promo codes, combo discounts, promotions offering free gifts, pre-order items, refurbished items, open box items, items sold by Newegg Marketplace Sellers, and purchases of gift cards

Edit: Asus is now oos, but it might come back in.

The clips on the ATX cables will face the outside of the motherboard. They should both click into place, such that you can't remove either cable without pressing in on the clip mechanism. Is this the case? If not try reseating them.

Yeah, it doesn't budge. It does the same thing on this motherboard with my other PSU. You can barely see it not going all the way down at the bottom and I never had a problem with this PC and that.

hunchback

I'm disabled and unable to build my own. Where is the best place that builds for you but still let's you pick your part's?
I need to be able to run UE4 and future proof it for awhile. I know I will have to upgrade RAM and graphics in a few year's. Any help is greatly appreciated.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm disabled and unable to build my own. Where is the best place that builds for you but still let's you pick your part's?
I need to be able to run UE4 and future proof it for awhile. I know I will have to upgrade RAM and graphics in a few year's. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Ironsidecomputers, Maingear, Origin.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm seriously confused about how to buy a student OS from Microsoft. My friend has a student account with student discount, but the Windows 8.1 Pro full version ($69.99) says "This is an upgrade from Windows 7, if you have XP use this other upgrade version"

Ummm, what about if you're doing a fresh install on a newly built rig? Can you not buy the standalone Windows OS from the student store?

RGM79

I'm seriously confused about how to buy a student OS from Microsoft. My friend has a student account with student discount, but the Windows 8.1 Pro full version ($69.99) says "This is an upgrade from Windows 7, if you have XP use this other upgrade version"

Ummm, what about if you're doing a fresh install on a newly built rig? Can you not buy the standalone Windows OS from the student store?
It's a more confusing system than it actually is. The product key is what's important, the installation media not as much. You can use the upgrade version of Windows 8 (8.1) to do a clean installation (hard drive format and install), it doesn't have to be an upgrade from an already installing installation of older Windows versions. You can also download the official Windows 8 (and 8.1, I think) ISO to use with the product key you buy, as long as it's Pro or Enterprise edition.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows-8/clean-install

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro...windows-8-1-install-with-a-windows-8-key.aspx

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
We were talking the other day about the growing usefulness of small form factor, yet fully powered builds....

Check this out:

That there is Gigabyte's soon to be released Small Form Factor GTX 970. With the low power consumption of this GPU, I guess we knew it was coming....and according to the source (http://videocardz.com/53393/gigabyte-launches-first-mini-itx-geforce-gtx-970) it will still come out of the box with a factory OC.

Lol card is bigger than the mobo ;)

RGM79

Okay folks, I've got in my hot little hands a gift card for about $225 (Canadian) from Future Shop (basically Best Buy.) Help me figure out what to do with it! No, the card's not cashable, so don't tell me I can get stuff cheaper elsewhere, cause I know I can, but that's not the issue.

I've got a Core i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz, and my video card is a Radeon HD 4870.

Is now the right time to get a new video card? If so, what's a good card for my money? I'm not brand loyal, and I'm looking for something hopefully low-maintenance (meaning, it's not fiddly with drivers and it won't blow up on me because my room is hot.)

Specifically, there's this 750Ti 2GB (hopefully that stupidly long URL works) that's on sale for 170 until Thursday. Would this be "doing it right" or am I setting myself up for a mistake?

Or should I just buy 3DS games with the gift card? I didn't see Steam gift cards on their website so that option's out too.

Repeat: the point isn't that the cards are expensive here. I know, but I've gotta use my gift card on something. I could buy 3DS games with it, but that would mean keeping my 4870 for a while longer.

That's pretty expensive for a 750 Ti. I'd buy 3DS games and just buy the video card from somewhere else. If you really wanted to get a video card, I'd go with the $169.99 Gigabyte 750 Ti, you can try pricematching it with NCIX for $159.99. There's also a $20 mail in rebate to bring down the price to $139.99.

If you want higher performance and don't mind spending a bit over the $225, then look at Future Shop's
$267.98 Sapphire R9 270X
and try to pricematch with Newegg which only costs $204.

In my experience, Futureshop is usually disapproving of pricematches, sometimes just making up reasons why they don't want to. Try and push a little, and you might just get a decent deal.

That's pretty expensive for a 750 Ti. I'd buy 3DS games and just buy the video card from somewhere else. If you really wanted to get a video card, I'd go with the $169.99 Gigabyte 750 Ti, you can try pricematching it with NCIX for $159.99. There's also a $20 mail in rebate to bring down the price to $139.99.

If you want higher performance and don't mind spending a bit over the $225, then look at Future Shop's
$267.98 Sapphire R9 270X
and try to pricematch with Newegg which only costs $204.

In my experience, Futureshop is usually disapproving of pricematches, sometimes just making up reasons why they don't want to. Try and push a little, and you might just get a decent deal.

Thanks for the advice. However, looks like both the things you recommended are sold out, not available in local stores, and unreservable. So 3DS games it is!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm kinda in the market for a new monitor.

Has NV-sync ("G-sync") came out yet? Preferably at a mass-market price, if not that at least pre-built to where I don't have to mod the monitor myself?

I'm trying to hold off on buying a new one just for that reason. But I dunno how much longer I want to wait. But I honestly haven't been following since the initial announcement by Nvidia and that first "mod your own monitor" video.

Prime95! Also, try all your memory slots on your MOBO to make sure they work properly.

I'm running it now how long does it take to stress test? I've ran it about an hour and the worst I've seen temps go is 66c and this is a stock 4790k not overclocked yet. That bad?

I'm kinda in the market for a new monitor.

Has NV-sync ("G-sync") came out yet? Preferably at a mass-market price, if not that at least pre-built to where I don't have to mod the monitor myself?

I'm trying to hold off on buying a new one just for that reason. But I dunno how much longer I want to wait. But I honestly haven't been following since the initial announcement by Nvidia and that first "mod your own monitor" video.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wvnVLk

All five monitors in that link are gsync. Don't know of any others currently. I would say the Rog Swift is still all around the best one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom