• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kinda in the market for a new monitor.

Has NV-sync ("G-sync") came out yet? Preferably at a mass-market price, if not that at least pre-built to where I don't have to mod the monitor myself?

I'm trying to hold off on buying a new one just for that reason. But I dunno how much longer I want to wait. But I honestly haven't been following since the initial announcement by Nvidia and that first "mod your own monitor" video.

Gsync is out but it hasn't reached mass-market prices yet. Give it another 8-10 months maybe...

Darklord

Banned
Okay, so after a while of looking and picking. This is the PC I want to buy. Any tips or changes you think I should make? I was thinking of a 980 but it's a lot of money for not a huge boost. I was going to get 16gb ram but dropped it to 8gb.

Intel Core i5 4690K
MSI B85-G43 GAMING
MSI GeForce GTX970 Gaming 4G
Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) (1866MHz)
Crucial 512GB SSD, MX100,
Hitachi 3TB Deskstar
Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl ATX Case
Antec 620W High Current Gamer Power Modular Supply
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

I thought I'd bump this to the new page. Any advice on this new PC? Thanks.

Booshka

I thought I'd bump this to the new page. Any advice on this new PC? Thanks.

Your SSD and HDD may be a bit overkill, but otherwise, you should be good with that build.
Personally I would go with a 256 SSD and a 1 TB HDD and get 16gb RAM, but it's more of a personal choice at that point.

Darklord

Banned
You'll need a z97 motherboard to overclock that cpu.

I'm not really planning on overclocking. Would it be better to get a 4690 instead of the K then?

Your SSD and HDD may be a bit overkill, but otherwise, you should be good with that build.
Personally I would go with a 256 SSD and a 1 TB HDD and get 16gb RAM, but it's more of a personal choice at that point.

I've already used up a 1TB on my old machine, I need a lotta space! Is there any reason to get 16gb? I was going to get it but pretty much no game needs more than 8gb.

Booshka

I'm not really planning on overclocking. Would it be better to get a 4690 instead of the K then?

I've already used up a 1TB on my old machine, I need a lotta space! Is there any reason to get 16gb? I was going to get it but pretty much no game needs more than 8gb.

I assumed you were doing some media stuff, so that is why I suggested more RAM, although in that case you could probably use both storage and RAM.

I would always go for a K CPU for the overclocking potential.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I asked a bit earlier, but now that I have an Nvidia card, allow me to ask again: what are some good affordable G-sync monitors? 1080p is perfectly fine, but a 19:10 monitor would be awesome, too.

I asked a bit earlier, but now that I have an Nvidia card, allow me to ask again: what are some good affordable G-sync monitors? 1080p is perfectly fine, but a 19:10 monitor would be awesome, too.

None so far as far as I know. there is a $600 Acer, and the fucking ASUS ROG swift that's never in stock.

edit: well there is this http://overlordcomputer.com/collections/nvidia-gsync

and this is the monitor you buy to upgrade it yourself: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Darklord

Banned
I assumed you were doing some media stuff, so that is why I suggested more RAM, although in that case you could probably use both storage and RAM.

I would always go for a K CPU for the overclocking potential.

It's for gaming mostly. I might get the Z97 and K then to overclock it if I want in the future.

Yea you should go 4690 and use the stock cooler that comes with, then you won't need the hyper 212 evo.

Although if you're planning to do heavy gaming, most people will highly suggest you overclock.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

appaws

Banned
It's for gaming mostly. I might get the Z97 and K then to overclock it if I want in the future.

Yea you should go 4690 and use the stock cooler that comes with, then you won't need the hyper 212 evo.

Although if you're planning to do heavy gaming, most people will highly suggest you overclock.

Yes, I am one of the people who will highly suggest that you overclock, or at least buy the right parts to leave that door open so you can decide to overclock in the future. Two reasons:

1. Overclocking today is super easy. A lot of people who are new to it just say "no" because they don't know how easy it is. A few clicks in the bios and you are talking about a big performance increase.

2. Down the road, when your system is starting to age a little, overclocking is a great way to inject some new life into it. For example, we still have people who come in here with first generation i5 or i7 CPUs who are able to overclock them and get great performance out of them. Those OCed i5 2500k chips from 3 years ago are still going strong right now.

So don't let that door be closed. Buy the "k" processor, a Z97 motherboard, and an aftermarket cooler like the 212 Evo. You will be glad you did.

RGM79

You'll need a z97 motherboard to overclock that cpu.

Officially overclocking is only possible on Z series motherboards, but MSI (like Asus, Asrock, and other motherboard manufacturers) have enabled overclocking on lower end motherboards, that includes the B85.

That said, it's still better to go for a Z97 motherboard, budget permitting.

Matty8787

So I think I have settled on the Silverstone SST-GD08B for my gaming htpc case!

Gunna look at booting into xbmc and running steam through that using an addon.

Thoughts?

Don't mean to pester, just seeing if anybody has any experience with this case and their thoughts on it.

Don't mean to pester, just seeing if anybody has any experience with this case and their thoughts on it.

I've got the lc13 which has a slightly different layout but it's a very well built case that's reasonably easy to work with.
Stock fans aren't great but if your mobo had decent control that might help.
Silverstone make good cases all round so unless there is something specific you are concerned about on this one I wouldn't worry. Check a couple of reviews to be sure.

Matty8787

I've got the lc13 which has a slightly different layout but it's a very well built case that's reasonably easy to work with.
Stock fans aren't great but if your mobo had decent control that might help.
Silverstone make good cases all round so unless there is something specific you are concerned about on this one I wouldn't worry. Check a couple of reviews to be sure.

Excellent thanks. Do you find there is enough room for everything? My GPU is like 10.2" long and will be on a full atx board. I have warmed to the idea of making my gaming PC into a kind of media/gaming hybrid.

ekgrey

this Dell is the hotness. dear lord. can't wait for my 970 to get here this afternoon!

oh, and switching to this H440 from the Air 240 was a huge pain in the ass. damn. i like the case a lot but i found it incredibly tedious to build in. worst part was trying to connect everything to the PSU hidden way back in the bottom chamber.

i also installed my 212 EVO which was brutally clumsy. never using an air cooler again.

Excellent thanks. Do you find there is enough room for everything? My GPU is like 10.2" long and will be on a full atx board. I have warmed to the idea of making my gaming PC into a kind of media/gaming hybrid.

Spec says it supports cards up to 13.8" so that would fit easily, though I don't know if the full length requires any of the front bays to be removed.
They're was plenty of room in my case for a powerful rig, though only low profile CPU cooler.
Height of components will be your main issue.

Gaming pc in a media case is a great thing. I'm moving away from it now for cost reasons, as the advent of Steam home streaming means I can run everything through my main pc and get a nuc or little Linux device for the TV in the future. I wouldn't be without a pc hooked up though.

jfoul

I can pick up another ASUS GTX 970 STRIX for $312. I've never ran SLI before, but I'm seriously considering it.

Matty8787

Spec says it supports cards up to 13.8" so that would fit easily, though I don't know if the full length requires any of the front bays to be removed.
They're was plenty of room in my case for a powerful rig, though only low profile CPU cooler.
Height of components will be your main issue.

Gaming pc in a media case is a great thing. I'm moving away from it now for cost reasons, as the advent of Steam home streaming means I can run everything through my main pc and get a nuc or little Linux device for the TV in the future. I wouldn't be without a pc hooked up though.

Thanks again for the response. I am sure I will find a low profile CPU cooler and the rest will be fine.

Thanks for all the help!

Soodanim

Just cancelled my order of a G1 Gaming 970. It's been 6 days and 2 deliveries (maybe more) haven't turned up, and it's holding up the rest of my parts. I want to build my damn PC.

I ordered a Galax 970 EX OC Black Edition from Overclockers instead. They have 500 coming in, probably in batches of 50, and there are less than 5 pre-orders at this time. I might be the first GAFer to own one.

Honey Bunny

Just cancelled my order of a G1 Gaming 970. It's been 6 days and 2 deliveries (maybe more) haven't turned up, and it's holding up the rest of my parts. I want to build my damn PC.

I ordered a Galax 970 EX OC Black Edition from Overclockers instead. They have 500 coming in, probably in batches of 50, and there are less than 5 pre-orders at this time. I might be the first GAFer to own one.
Ooo I like the backplate on that one

kharma45

Nope, Adnann has two http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135393931&postcount=6183

Soodanim

I was going to go for that version, but the Black Edition has slightly higher clocks as well as the black PC and backplate. I probably could have just clocked the normal version higher myself and the different colours won't be seen in my case, but oh well.

Or is there really no point in me having a black edition and cancelling in favour of the regular one and saving £15 would be a better idea?

Addnan

I was going to go for that version, but the Black Edition has slightly higher clocks as well as the black PC and backplate. I probably could have just clocked the normal version higher myself and the different colours won't be seen in my case, but oh well.

Or is there really no point in me having a black edition and cancelling in favour of the regular one and saving £15 would be a better idea?
No point going black if my one is anything to go by. Currently have them in SLI boosting to 1450.

Boss Man

I'd appreciate it if anyone with an amazon MSI 970 preorder would cancel it so I can finally finish my PC. tia

Here's babbys first pc btw:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $209.99)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $33.03)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $119.97)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $149.99)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $199.99)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (Purchased For $353.20)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $79.99)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $79.99)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $16.99)
Total: $1243.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-22 10:12 EDT-0400

dmcAxle

Neo Member
So I'm going to be buying a PC very in price range to the $885 listed in the OP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wadHZsOW9QVFRkZEpzcUplak5zZFUyYnc&output=html)

However I'm a Canadian so the final will probably be ~$1000. To reduce that I'm looking into buying on Black Friday/Cyber Monday at NCIX/Newegg/Amazon or any similar site. I'm waiting that long because I am getting all the extra money for a new desktop all at once anyways. I've never really bought online on these days before so I have a few questions.

1) Do I need to have all my items in checkout before hand and finalize the purchase the moment the sale starts? Does inventory run out fast? I know Newegg has sales often anyways so it might not be a big deal to most PC purchasers and there is nothing to worry about.
2) but if so, which parts are the most likely to go on sale? Are all the parts suggested at the $885 range fairly popular for sales?

Sorry if this discussion comes up often and you just have to repeat yourself to me.

I would go for the 970 for sure. It runs a lot cooler and uses less power and it has nearly the same performance. You can OC it to match the performance pretty easily as well.

Eh, the 780 Ti still has a slight edge on the 970's. But the 970's have multiple advantages that unless you can get that 780 Ti at a really cheap price then there's no reason to get it.

970:
Less power consumption
Lower price point
HDMI 2.0
Newer architecture
Can OC it to 980 levels.

What's the best software to measure PSU voltages besides the BIOS? The one I'm using now shows +12v -- 12.380-12.480 -- 5v - 5.160 -- +3.3v - 3.392 -- 3.408.

That's not BIOS readings though. If those are accurate then they're a bit high in voltage? Using a SeaSonic G-Series 750.

LilJoka

What's the best software to measure PSU voltages besides the BIOS? The one I'm using now shows +12v -- 12.380-12.480 -- 5v - 5.160 -- +3.3v - 3.392 -- 3.408.

That's not BIOS readings though. If those are accurate then they're a bit high in voltage? Using a SeaSonic G-Series 750.

Nothing really does this well ive found, at the end of the day its just reading a sensor from the motherboard, no matter what software you use. BIOS is going to be the best. There is no need to really monitor this.

Tolerances are here, yours a fine.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/insidethepc/a/power-supply-voltage-tolerance.htm

kennah

So I'm going to be buying a PC very in price range to the $885 listed in the OP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...wadHZsOW9QVFRkZEpzcUplak5zZFUyYnc&output=html)

However I'm a Canadian so the final will probably be ~$1000. To reduce that I'm looking into buying on Black Friday/Cyber Monday at NCIX/Newegg/Amazon or any similar site. I'm waiting that long because I am getting all the extra money for a new desktop all at once anyways. I've never really bought online on these days before so I have a few questions.

1) Do I need to have all my items in checkout before hand and finalize the purchase the moment the sale starts? Does inventory run out fast? I know Newegg has sales often anyways so it might not be a big deal to most PC purchasers and there is nothing to worry about.
2) but if so, which parts are the most likely to go on sale? Are all the parts suggested at the $885 range fairly popular for sales?

Sorry if this discussion comes up often and you just have to repeat yourself to me.

Having stuff in checkout doesn't really help. The sales in Canada aren't as door buster as they are in the states so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting what you want. Just keep an eye on the regular sites. ncix.ca, newegg.ca, memoryexpress.com, directcanada.com, canadacomputers.ca. In the meantime, use Shopbot.ca to find good deals for price matching. Memory express is great for price matches.

Where in Canada are you? Don't expect CPU to drop much, if at all. The 970 is brand new, so I wouldn't expect it to drop much either. The Black Friday stuff is usually best at getting rid of old inventory. The items you'd most likely find a good deal on are motherboard, ram, case and harddrive/ssds.

Axass

Hi guys!

I'm a little confused as to where should I post this, because it's a question about a laptop... but not a gaming one. Hope it's ok to ask here.

So, a guy wants to sell me a used Lenovo Thinkpad T410, with Intel Core i5 2,4 Ghz processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, integrated Intel video card, webcam, DVD-RW and Windows 7 included, for €300. Is it a good price?

Widdla

Neo Member
I just posted this rig for sale in the buy, sell, trade thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135419683&posted=1#post135419683

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Pro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans
CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Processor Cooler

Figured a few people in this thread might be interested.

FLAguy954

I feeling really proud of myself. I just got my used MSI R9 290 from a Amazon Warehouse for ~$265 after taxes and I new dual-link DVI cord. As soon as I connect the thing and test a game the temps shoot up to 90-93C and I'm scrambling to figure out how to control the temps.

So I proceeded to reconfigure my fans in a way that my Hyper 212 Evo only has an exhaust fan, with a exhaust fan in the back and top of the case, and four intake fans (two in the front, one on the bottom, and the last on the door). Lastly, I decided to see what kind of paste job was done to the card and what do you know, a shitty factory TIM application was the culprit. I then proceeded to use some of the cheap Cooler Master paste to lower my temps and it worked (I could probably buy a tube of Arctic MX-4 to get even lower temps if I wanted). My GPU temps have dropped by over 10C and it maxes out at around 78-80C on full load. Feels good mane (and btw Shadow of Mordor is really fun).

Hi guys!

I'm a little confused as to where should I post this, because it's a question about a laptop... but not a gaming one. Hope it's ok to ask here.

So, a guy wants to sell me a used Lenovo Thinkpad T410, with Intel Core i5 2,4 Ghz processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, integrated Intel video card, webcam, DVD-RW and Windows 7 included, for €300. Is it a good price?

That depends. Are you able to buy off of Newegg as they have the same laptop, refurbed, for cheaper. Still that price isn't bad but you take a risk buying used so be careful.

Axass

That depends. Are you able to buy off of Newegg as they have the same laptop, refurbed, for cheaper. Still that price isn't bad but you take a risk buying used so be careful.

Apparently I can't buy from there, I live in Italy. Also he's throwing in a new battery included in the price.

About buying used, well, he actually gave me the laptop to try it out, it's here with me now. So far so good, everything seems in order.

Apparently I can't buy from there, I live in Italy. Also he's throwing in a new battery included in the price.

About buying used, well, he actually gave me the laptop to try it out, it's here with me now. So far so good, everything seems in order.

That said and you're happy with it I'd take it. That is a good price + it comes a new battery.

kharma45

Standard one has a backplate too.

No point going black if my one is anything to go by. Currently have them in SLI boosting to 1450.

Is that good?

so why don't we have Galax cards in the US?

Beats me, Galaxy is an American brand iirc.

bee

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27090838&postcount=1

an actual good deal on a titan z lol, sold them all in 1hr30, not bad really

anyone got any ideas on full size tower cases? currently using an older lian li a71 which has no cable routing or any of the newer features, I'm after something with great cooling and a lot of drive space, that could possibly be converted to water cooling space at a later date. had a quick look around at work today and found a few -

nzxt 630 - bit gaudy, doesn't seem too bad though

fractal design r2 xl - got the mini as my server case, great case to work with, just seems a bit basic though, good as my backup choice so far

lian li a76x - they are superbly made, that price though and the internals are very similar to what i already have

Thermaltake Urban T81 - can't really believe i'm looking at something made by therrmaltake but anyway this is currently the front runner, quite understated design, great looking cooling, the modular design seems great too

any ideas, anyone own any of these especially the thermaltake?

Addnan

Is that good?
Yeah, and I can go higher but cooling my case is not the best. Forgot how much +mhz base over stock but it boosted to 1500 and was stable for ages, but temps were getting too high when I closed my case so just cranked it back a bit. I don't need anything too high. I don't game haha. If I was on single card I would run it at higher clocks all day. I won the silicon lottery with both my cards and so might need to buy a new case... Good 970s can get to 1550ish on boost clock.

I ram Prime 95 last night for a few hours and the highest my CPU hit was around 75c but that was at stock settings on the 4790k. Should I run it again but longer? Anything under 90c is ideal right?

The Llama

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=27090838&postcount=1

an actual good deal on a titan z lol, sold them all in 1hr30, not bad really

anyone got any ideas on full size tower cases? currently using an older lian li a71 which has no cable routing or any of the newer features, I'm after something with great cooling and a lot of drive space, that could possibly be converted to water cooling space at a later date. had a quick look around at work today and found a few -

nzxt 630 - bit gaudy, doesn't seem too bad though

fractal design r2 xl - got the mini as my server case, great case to work with, just seems a bit basic though, good as my backup choice so far

lian li a76x - they are superbly made, that price though and the internals are very similar to what i already have

Thermaltake Urban T81 - can't really believe i'm looking at something made by therrmaltake but anyway this is currently the front runner, quite understated design, great looking cooling, the modular design seems great too

any ideas, anyone own any of these especially the thermaltake?

I use an nzxt Phantom 630 and I love it. Great to build in, great fans (almost silent at the lowest speed, which I use because I don't notice any temperature difference between that and the higher speeds), I like the way it looks, and its solid as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom