• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2014 Part 2. Read OP, your 2500K will run Witcher 3. MX100s! 970!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kennah

I understand about 25% of the OP, and am scared. I'm enlisting the BF's help to build me a gaming PC this fall (my current rig which I only use for WoW and the occasional HTPC - Netflix, etc. is from 2008 and feeling inadequate), as I wish to run WoW at top levels come the new expansion, and have a more capable machine for other games on occasion as well.

Subbed. I shall return in a few months.

Until then, would anyone be able to tell me which of Haz's builds in the OP would help me run Blizzard's games at max levels without breaking a sweat? Could I go with "Great" or would I need to do whatever's one tier up from that? I know that when it comes to good ol' Blizz, I don't really need bleeding edge stuff, but you never know.
All of them.

kennah

The so-called 'Budget' PC at $445 would let me play Warlords of Draenor (with all of the improvements they've added to the engine since 2004) on Max without breaking a sweat?

F'realz?

Probably. Wow isn't a super intensive game. They want it to run on as many PCs as it possibly can. The 'better value' rigs in the OP are certainly more flexible, and will run better, but the Pentium in the OP when paired with a $100 motherboard is amazingly fast (properly over clocked).

Fake edit: The system requirements are laughable.

The recommended configuration for Windows PC
Operating system: Windows 7 x64 (SP1)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.6GHz or above
Memory: 4GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or above
Hard Disk Drive: 25GB

The budget pc in the OP wildly outclasses that.

I lurk around this thread for awhile and would like to say thanks for all the knowledgeable posters. I've learned a good deal from other people's questions.

asdad123

So... my retina macbook pro (13") isnt cutting it to play FFXIV anymore. I sold my gaming desktop months ago thinking I wouldnt play games on it anymore, but I recently started playing FFXIV. I want to build something decent, but cheap lol.

Im thinking this:

Intel G3258/MSI Z97 combo from Microcenter = $100
Corsair 230T with 3 Cougar Vortex Fan Bundle + Corsair CS450M Gold Modular PSU = $60 after rebates/discounts
Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600 mhz (4gb x 2) = $70
Nvidia GTX770 4gb = $285 from a member here.

I know the graphics card is overkill for the CPU, but I was going to get a 270x for $200, so I figure I'd spend the little extra on the GTX770 since its a great price. I already have a 1tb HDD that I will be using until I get funds for a SSD.

Any suggestions?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
So... my retina macbook pro (13") isnt cutting it to play FFXIV anymore. I sold my gaming desktop months ago thinking I wouldnt play games on it anymore, but I recently started playing FFXIV. I want to build something decent, but cheap lol.

Im thinking this:

Intel G3258/MSI Z97 combo from Microcenter = $100
Corsair 230T with 3 Cougar Vortex Fan Bundle + Corsair CS450M Gold Modular PSU = $60 after rebates/discounts
Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600 mhz (4gb x 2) = $70
Nvidia GTX770 4gb = $285 from a member here.

I know the graphics card is overkill for the CPU, but I was going to get a 270x for $200, so I figure I'd spend the little extra on the GTX770 since its a great price. I already have a 1tb HDD that I will be using until I get funds for a SSD.

Any suggestions?

I'm sure others here will give more detailed suggestions, but the 770 is a bad choice. A 750ti, 270x, or 760 would all be better choices, and they would be more than enough for FFXIV. Especially since you are aiming for a budget build with the G3258. The CPU has tons of power and long legs, but if you are looking for budget, the GPU is costly.
Didn't see the portion that it was $285 from a member. Ignore my post.

--------

Does anyone here use a VPN / Remote Desktop to access their home rig while at work or out and about? If so, how is the experience?

I want to continue with my plan of building a desktop this fall, but I recently started doing modeling/rendering away from home on my crappy laptop. I'd like to be able to access the power of my future rig while away from home. Otherwise I may have to go the notebook route (ugh).

appaws

Banned
The 750ti is not a good choice. Even in its own price range it is outperformed by the R7 265. Easily the most over-recommended card currently...

The 760 is a terrible choice. It is outperformed by AMD cards like the R9 280 that cost the same or less. Frankly, right now there is no reason for anyone to buy a 760, it's a terrible non-value because cheaper AMD cards outperform it.

If you are willing to spend up to $285 bucks.....

$239 after rebate....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121867

$219 after rebate....http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202099

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Does anyone know if I can use the mic that comes with the ps4 on steam for chat? or anything like that?
We have a bird that like to preen hair so a headset would not be good.

EDIT: I just found an old Bluetooth headset, I guess i'll buy a Bluetooth adapter.

Cels

got my case today!

still waiting on RAM, DVD drive, and HDD, but I've started putting it together. that CM 212 was a pain in the arse...

My case (Corsair Carbide Air 540) has this weird 2.5" drive cage thing. It doesn't connect to anything.

edit - nvm i figured it out. you put the drives in with the ports facing outwards and connect the cables directly to any ssds you have in the cage

JCizzle

So, do pretty much all z87 boards work with devils canyon now? Thinking about pairing a 4970k with a Maximus vi impact since the z97 isn't due for a few months from the looks of it.

Magnus

Probably. Wow isn't a super intensive game. They want it to run on as many PCs as it possibly can. The 'better value' rigs in the OP are certainly more flexible, and will run better, but the Pentium in the OP when paired with a $100 motherboard is amazingly fast (properly over clocked).

Fake edit: The system requirements are laughable.

The recommended configuration for Windows PC
Operating system: Windows 7 x64 (SP1)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz, AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.6GHz or above
Memory: 4GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or above
Hard Disk Drive: 25GB

The budget pc in the OP wildly outclasses that.

So aside from having a 32bit cpu and only 3.25gb of ram (recognized), I meet or exceed all of this. I can't get the game playing smoothly (a solid 40fps+ at all times) on max settings. I think these recommended settings are only to get the game into a good range. Not an awesome range.

Renekton

So, do pretty much all z87 boards work with devils canyon now? Thinking about pairing a 4970k with a Maximus vi impact since the z97 isn't due for a few months from the looks of it.
The manufacturer has to actually list the support for DC for you to be sure.

Maximus VI does have the bios update, no idea if it works 100% since its description says it "enhanced" compatibility.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_IMPACT/HelpDesk_Download/

A modern system is so far above those specs they're laughable, anything modern will wreck that game.
Not really.

Raiding and other situations wreck even good CPUs, because Blizzard somehow doesn't like multithreading.

Tablo

So aside from having a 32bit cpu and only 3.25gb of ram (recognized), I meet or exceed all of this. I can't get the game playing smoothly (a solid 40fps+ at all times) on max settings. I think these recommended settings are only to get the game into a good range. Not an awesome range.

A modern system is so far above those specs they're laughable, anything modern will wreck that game. Your CPU gets bushwacked in 2014.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Quick question about the Logitech Proteus Core - I'm sure that you can turn off the led "G" using the software inside windows, but when your computer first turns on and it's booting into windows, is the illuminated G on or off?

Tablo

Raiding and other situations wreck even good CPUs, because Blizzard somehow doesn't like multithreading.

The unlocked Pentium OC'd to 4.6+ghz will optimal for the game and a lot better than what he has now. I wasn't commenting on multithreading. just IPC

roMonster

Quick question about the Logitech Proteus Core - I'm sure that you can turn off the led "G" using the software inside windows, but when your computer first turns on and it's booting into windows, is the illuminated G on or off?

The light is on by default. I turned the light off in the software--I just restarted my computer and it stayed off all the way through (didnt even flicker).

Are you comfortable with the idea of overclocking your CPU?

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Aside from a frazzled chip, which is rare these days due to CPU safeguards, nothing really except for a bit more heat.

I remember back in the day, I put an AMD applied the thermal past to the "Volcano" heat sink and its loud-ass fan... the thermal paste melted off the processor and into the socket of the cpu and caught fire. Ahhhh... the memories :3

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I just went through whole discussions about this on the ArmA forums, and people there are saying the game's memory bottlenecks are actually the bigger problem. More specifically, those bottlenecks severely cut CPU utilization. And those comments are coming from people who are already overclocked at 4.4GHz.

Most of the time when I'm playing ArmA 3 one of my CPUs (I have an i5-4670k) is at around 80 percent load while the others hover around 30 to 40 percent load.
PM me. I'm very skeptical. I want SiSandra memory benches.

DjRalford

wasn't quite stable on 1.133v, so upped to 1.135v and it appears rock solid now.

Considering the case is in a TV cabinet the below image is my temps, from what I've compared on the reviews it seems ok.

qp25lhn.jpg

Pjsprojects

Hoping to get some good advice from Gaf on this, my msi970a-g43 mobo is playing me up and after doing some research ive found that I have a typical problem when pairing this mobo with an 8320 (even though it is supported on msi's website).

Im looking for a new mobo, and want to find the best option that will not cause me any heating issues whatsoever (Ive had enough for a life time). Id like to preferably keep the budget below £70.

What do you guys think of the ASUS M5A97 LE R.20 board at £58 on ebay, is there a better board more suited to my cpu and why? Cheers guys ...

Fairly sure the Asus 97 is the mobo I used to run my overclocked FX8350 with no problems.
The standard cpu cooler is 'only just' good enough so maybe think on a Coolermaster one.

Yaska

I would most likely just go with something like an H100i in this particular situation, especially with you moving this rig around on a train a few times a year. Now the question is, do you have space for a 240mm rad in the case?

Thanks for the help. I know that h100(and most likely i version) fits my case, as the google-fu revealed me an installation video. Will check out h105 as well and decide later. Thanks!

kami_sama

I hate you guys who live in the US, I'm always getting worse prices than all of you :(

And 2 questions:

I'm planning to get a corsair 230t, anyone has a better option for the same price? I love the looks on the 230t though.

I have a nonmodular PSU, an ocz silentxstream 2 with 700w, i suppose it will be enough for a OC'd 4670k and a 7950, am I right? Also, because it's not modular right now I have the cables on the hdd cage. Will I be able to put those behind the motherboard?

Durante

This is a public service announcement.

I've noticed recently, particularly in this thread, phrases like "great IPC, particularly if you overclock it" or "this game requires high IPC". This makes no sense. IPC literally means "instructions per clock". Most often when they say IPC, what people actually mean is sequential performance. Which is a product of high IPC coupled with a high clock rate.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I hate you guys who live in the US, I'm always getting worse prices than all of you :(

And 2 questions:

I'm planning to get a corsair 230t, anyone has a better option for the same price? I love the looks on the 230t though.

I have a nonmodular PSU, an ocz silentxstream 2 with 700w, i suppose it will be enough for a OC'd 4670k and a 7950, am I right? Also, because it's not modular right now I have the cables on the hdd cage. Will I be able to put those behind the motherboard?
That's fine. Some cables behind, all would be a bit much I think.
This is a public service announcement.

I've noticed recently, particularly in this thread, phrases like "great IPC, particularly if you overclock it" or "this game requires high IPC". This makes no sense. IPC literally means "instructions per clock". Most often when they say IPC, what people actually mean is sequential performance. Which is a product of high IPC coupled with a high clock rate.
That's too hard. Just repeat acronyms you read somewhere is way easier. Maybe just start using POWER?
I don't think I've misused it that many times.

maxagombar1

Neo Member
Fairly sure the Asus 97 is the mobo I used to run my overclocked FX8350 with no problems.
The standard cpu cooler is 'only just' good enough so maybe think on a Coolermaster one.

Can you link me to what you mean? I'm not sure if you mean a heat sink or case fans or something else. Also I wouldn't really be looking to oc I just want a stable rig to last a while, possibly looking to oc slightly in the future.

Knch

Your Current Specs: Not relevant
Budget: Around 500€, Belgium (=ordering from The Netherlands/Germany)
Main Use: OC-Toy
Monitor Resolution: 1080P
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: Ordering by the middle of next week
Will you be overclocking?: Yes!

Using tweakers.net pricewatch, I picked the following:

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R Closed (49.5€)
PSU: Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W (48.5€)
MB: ASRock Z97 Anniversary (77€)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 Boxed (59.8€)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (27.95€)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2x4) BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU (67€)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti (127.5€)
Storage: WD Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB (45.91€)

Total: 503.16€

As I want to get as much of an OC as possible, I'll probably be better off with a slightly more expensive motherboard (only 4 phases on this board,) so suggestions there would be welcome (or a list with power phases?)

I'd also like to get a better GPU, but 265's are already quite a bit more expensive. A custom cooler is a requirement though.

kharma45

[*]Your Current Specs: Not relevant
[*]Budget: Around 500€, Belgium (=ordering from The Netherlands/Germany)
[*]Main Use: OC-Toy
[*]Monitor Resolution: 1080P
[*]Looking to reuse any parts?: No
[*]When will you build?: Ordering by the middle of next week
[*]Will you be overclocking?: Yes!

Using tweakers.net pricewatch, I picked the following:

Case: Corsair Carbide 200R Closed (49.5€)
PSU: Seasonic S12II-Bronze 520W (48.5€)
MB: ASRock Z97 Anniversary (77€)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 Boxed (59.8€)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (27.95€)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2x4) BLT2C4G3D1608ET3LX0CEU (67€)
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti (127.5€)
Storage: WD Blue WD10EZEX, 1TB (45.91€)

Total: 503.16€

As I want to get as much of an OC as possible, I'll probably be better off with a slightly more expensive motherboard (only 4 phases on this board,) so suggestions there would be welcome (or a list with power phases?)

I'd also like to get a better GPU, but 265's are already quite a bit more expensive. A custom cooler is a requirement though.

All the info about Z97 VRMs you could ever want here http://www.overclock.net/t/1490142/z97-vrm-info

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is the Logitech G400s the same shape as the MX518? Meaning that I could open both mice and swap the silver/metallic cover/back of my mx518 over to the G400s instead of having that gamer-looking cover/back?

JamiieCarter

Neo Member
After a few week saving and selling various crappy items on Ebay I'm in the process of ordering a system. I need a little final help, out of the two following systems which would you advise me on getting:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3GqkWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3GqkWZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£231.54 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Rev.A(BW) 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (£37.65 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£80.56 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£126.19 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.79 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (£249.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.74 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£83.70 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£14.95 @ Amazon UK)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£26.87 @ Aria PC)

Total: £962.98

or

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WZcn8d
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WZcn8d/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£162.21 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.25 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£79.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£117.79 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£80.89 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£228.95 @ Ebuyer)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter (£26.87 @ Aria PC)
Other: CoolerMaster Silencio 352 Black Matt Edition USB3 MicroATX Mini-ITX Case (£45.63)
Other: be quiet! BN181 Pure Power L8 530W CM Modular 80+ Bronze QUIET Power Supply (PSU) (£48.64)

Total: £874.38

kharma45

After a few week saving and selling various crappy items on Ebay I'm in the process of ordering a system. I need a little final help, out of the two following systems which would you advise me on getting:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3GqkWZ
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3GqkWZ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£231.54 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Rev.A(BW) 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (£37.65 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£80.56 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£126.19 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£52.79 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Superclocked ACX Video Card (£249.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.74 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£83.70 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£14.95 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £962.98

or

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WZcn8d
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WZcn8d/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£162.21 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.25 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£79.16 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£117.79 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£80.89 @ Ebuyer)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£59.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£228.95 @ Ebuyer)
Other: CoolerMaster Silencio 352 Black Matt Edition USB3 MicroATX Mini-ITX Case (£45.63)
Other: be quiet! BN181 Pure Power L8 530W CM Modular 80+ Bronze QUIET Power Supply (PSU) (£48.64)

Total: £874.38

What are you looking to do with them? Gaming just?

JamiieCarter

Neo Member
What are you looking to do with them? Gaming just?

Mostly gaming, but I'm also an IT Engineer hoping to do some contract work from home.

Thats why I have kind of gone for both of those systems. I don't mind splashing out the extra £100 odd quid on the i7 system, just wanted a last opinion.

kharma45

Do the programs you use for that utilise all the threads the i7 has to offer? If not I'd stick to the i5.

The 770 isn't that great value though, and Aria are shit to deal with.

kharma45

If the programs you're using don't make use of all the threads the i7 has to offer I'd stick to the i5.

16GB of RAM again is another thing worth looking at. I've no idea how RAM intensive those programs are that you use so can't tell if it' worth it or money wasted.

The rest is fine. The 770 isn't as good a buy as the 280X, but if you want into the Nvidia software ecosystem that's fair enough. Nvidia gets beaten at almost every price point by AMD at the minute.

JamiieCarter

Neo Member
If the programs you're using don't make use of all the threads the i7 has to offer I'd stick to the i5.

16GB of RAM again is another thing worth looking at. I've no idea how RAM intensive those programs are that you use so can't tell if it' worth it or money wasted.

The rest is fine. The 770 isn't as good a buy as the 280X, but if you want into the Nvidia software ecosystem that's fair enough. Nvidia gets beaten at almost every price point by AMD at the minute.

Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II Video Card?

So at the moment the final build looks like this: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/WpTnyc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom