• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinthalis

Banned
Hey guys, anyone know of a forum or place where I can sell my 780ti? I want ot upgrade to a GTX 980, but would liek to sell my old card. I'm trying to avoid ebay though.

LilJoka

Running benchmarks and showing them in 50 different youtube videos? Yikes. This guy should have his internet licence revoked.

Unfortunate but a comprehensive resource.

If you go to pages dated around April 14th, there is some posts about GTA V, and also recent posts disucss Witcher 3.

Eiolon

My brother wants to make the jump from 1080p to 1440p. He's already having issues keeping up with his current rig in 1080p so he's wondering if he should build new or just upgrade some components.

Core i7 920 (says he's overclocking it)
6 GB RAM
500 GB SATA 3 HDD
EVGA 260 GTX

This was built sometime in 2008. His mindset is to get a 980 GTX, another 6GB RAM and an SSD, but doesn't want to waste the money on the RAM if he's going to need to get a new CPU and board. Also, would his CPU bottleneck the 980? Would he need to do SLI at 1440p?

komplanen

My brother wants to make the jump from 1080p to 1440p. He's already having issues keeping up with his current rig in 1080p so he's wondering if he should build new or just upgrade some components.

6 GB RAM
500 GB SATA 3 HDD
EVGA 260 GTX

This was built sometime in 2008. His mindset is to get a 980 GTX, another 6GB RAM and an SSD, but doesn't want to waste the money on the RAM if he's going to need to get a new CPU and board. Also, would his CPU bottleneck the 980? Would he need to do SLI at 1440p?

First of all now isn't the time to buy a 980 let alone two! Wait until pricing and performance of 980Ti and R390X is known (and their effect on cards like 980 which most like go down in price). Three weeks and we'll know more. Of course if he has to then who am I to tell him what to do :-D

If I was your brother I'd buy a 980 / 980 Ti / 390X depending on price. Then when Skylake hits in August I would upgrade the mobo + RAM + CPU. Buying an SSD now will help in many situations but doesn't give more FPS in games, just so you know.

To answer the simple questions:

- Yes his CPU bottlenecks the 980
- No you don't need SLI 980 to play at 1440p

komplanen

Guys,

Looking to dive into PC gaming.

My current build.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (no OC)
GPU: Radeon HD 5700 (yep. old)
RAM: 12GB DDR3
PSU: 750
MB: Asus M5A97

Will a 750TI with my CPU suffice or should I go bigger on GPU and upgrade CPU? Any other advice?

What kind of games are you interested in? 750Ti is a solid entry card into PC gaming but check out 270X for roughly the same price but better performance.

Then upgrade your mobo + cpu to Skylake or even Zen if you can hold it out (Intel Skylake: August 2015, AMD Zen: Q1/2016). Nothing wrong with buying a CPU+mobo of today (I just got a 4690K myself) but if you have something that works then the best time to jump in is when new shit hits the market instead of when it's old.

komplanen

Hey, thank you. To answer your question, I would not mind running the full spectrum of games on the machine ranging from AAA to indie on Steam, for example. I am looking to broaden my access to a larger library than what is available on consoles at the moment.

Just to clarify, with that being said, you still thin it's a good idea to upgrade mobo and CPU correct? this would make sense. I can wait until August. For now, I'll check out the 270X so thanks for the heads up there. I just need the games to perform well. They don't need to be 4K running at 60 with all effects on.

You were eyeing the 750Ti so that says a little what your budget is. If I was in your shoes right now I'd buy a 270X. In August I'd splurge quite a bit more and buy Skylake mobo + CPU + RAM. Then one day that 270X needs upgrading again and the cycle begins anew.

The basic idea here being that a completely new set of motherboards, processors and ram is coming out in 3 months and since you already have something it's wiser to wait for it. Rule #1 in PC builds is that there's always something "new" around the corner so buy when you need it and I'm only assuming but I'm sure you don't "need" anything for the next 3 months after that 270X. That's why I'd suggest waiting.

Me personally just ordered new mobo + cpu etc. since I had sold my old stuff and couldn't hold on for 3 months with absolutely nothing. If could have, I would have.

Getting bored of waiting for the 980Ti. May just build everything else and use it as an indie machine with onboard graphics until the card comes out.

FaintDeftone

Quick question, guys:

How important is it to have a PCI-E 16x 3.0 port instead of the 2.0? I'm still researching motherboards and most of the cheaper boards do not include 3.0. I know 3.0 cards are backwards compatible with 2.0, but am I at a disadvantage sticking with 2.0? Just curious.

Thanks!

witness

Hey PC GAF, I'm going to get into building my own computer for the first time. I do not have a gaming rig, my wife has a shitty laptop and that's it. So I'm looking at a budget of $800ish (USD), but I am not buying everything at once. I'm going to buy it over time for the rest of the year, for my wife's sanity. I want to hook it up to our 1080p TV in the living room, and use it for also streaming content. I want to be able to play the newest games are higher settings, doesn't have to be Ultra. A big part of my motivation is the Witcher 3s console performance and that I just got my A+ cert so I feel it's important I have that experience. I love my PS4, but I want something that performs better. I don't need the best PC right now, and am fine with upgrading over time.

Here's what I have in mind, though I am not married to any of these parts and am open to recommendations.

AMD FX8350 black edition
MSI 990FXA GD65V2 mobo
2x 4gb DDR3 ram, g skill
1tb 7200rpm HDD
GTX 960 4gb or a 970

So that's the basics of what I have in mind. Sorry I couldn't do links but I'm on my phone at work. Not sure of the power supply because I don't want to spend too much, but I want to be able to upgrade the video card when the time comes and not have to worry about the power supply. I would go with more RAM but it seems like an upgrade that I can wait on and add to over time. I am waiting until the very end to buy a video card because I want to see what kind of deals there will be in the fall on them. If a 970 is still too expensive for me at that time, then I'll go with the 960. I also plan on adding a SSD in the future as well, but this is what I have planned to get this off the ground basically. Any advice is welcome.

LilJoka

Quick question, guys:

How important is it to have a PCI-E 16x 3.0 port instead of the 2.0? I'm still researching motherboards and most of the cheaper boards do not include 3.0. I know 3.0 cards are backwards compatible with 2.0, but am I at a disadvantage sticking with 2.0? Just curious.

Thanks!

It isn't for any card available today. It's like 1-2 fps difference, well within the margin of error.

You were eyeing the 750Ti so that says a little what your budget is. If I was in your shoes right now I'd buy a 270X. In August I'd splurge quite a bit more and buy Skylake mobo + CPU + RAM. Then one day that 270X needs upgrading again and the cycle begins anew.

The basic idea here being that a completely new set of motherboards, processors and ram is coming out in 3 months and since you already have something it's wiser to wait for it. Rule #1 in PC builds is that there's always something "new" around the corner so buy when you need it and I'm only assuming but I'm sure you don't "need" anything for the next 3 months after that 270X. That's why I'd suggest waiting.

Me personally just ordered new mobo + cpu etc. since I had sold my old stuff and couldn't hold on for 3 months with absolutely nothing. If could have, I would have.

+1 for the 270X, I own a MSI 270X ITX Gaming. Great card.

Great performance and runs silent and cool.

mkenyon

Banned
So I'm most likely getting this mouse as a replacement for my messy Diamondback 3G (The driver made Windows 8 crash again yesterday *after* I uninstalled them for the generic mouse driver to prevent that shit until I get a new one). Since Razer drivers are essentially no better than a virus, any tools made for removing them?

Thinking about this li'l bugger, same DPI as my current, but slightly larger so more comfortable for my giant hands.
41wCv+4DPzL.jpg

And my additional 8gB of Corsair RAM arrived today :). Hopefully I'll get it right the first try lol
It's a great sensor, but the build quality leaves a little to be desired. Just about everyone in my gaming group bought one when they came out. The shortest life span was about 1.5 months, mine lasted about 4.

Given your large hands, I suggest you check out the Corsair M45 or Corsair Sabre Optical.

Here's a short list of mice with decent sensors. There's a few recent releases that aren't included, such as the Sabre Optical. I believe Zowie has a new one where the shape is almost identical to the Sensei. Then there's also the Logi 302, but that's for claw grip only.

- Microsoft WMO 1.1
- Microsoft IMO 1.1
- Microsoft IME 3.0
- Zowie FK
- Zowie AM
- Zowie FK1
- Zowie EC1 CL
- Zowie EC1 eVo
- Zowie EC2 CL
- Zowie EC2 eVo
- Razer Deathadder 3G
- Razer Deathadder 3.5G
- Razer Deathadder 2013
- Razer Abyssus
- Logitech G400
- Logitech G400s
- Logitech G502
- Steelseries Kana V2
- Steelseries Rival
- Mionix Avoir 7000
- Cooler Master Storm Spawn
- Cooler master Storm Alcor
- Roccat Savu
- Roccat Kone Pure Optical
- Roccat Kone Pure Military
- Mad Catz R.A.T. 3
- Corsair M45
Hey PC GAF, I'm going to get into building my own computer for the first time. I do not have a gaming rig, my wife has a shitty laptop and that's it. So I'm looking at a budget of $800ish (USD), but I am not buying everything at once. I'm going to buy it over time for the rest of the year, for my wife's sanity. I want to hook it up to our 1080p TV in the living room, and use it for also streaming content. I want to be able to play the newest games are higher settings, doesn't have to be Ultra. A big part of my motivation is the Witcher 3s console performance and that I just got my A+ cert so I feel it's important I have that experience. I love my PS4, but I want something that performs better. I don't need the best PC right now, and am fine with upgrading over time.

Here's what I have in mind, though I am not married to any of these parts and am open to recommendations.

AMD FX8350 black edition
MSI 990FXA GD65V2 mobo
2x 4gb DDR3 ram, g skill
1tb 7200rpm HDD
GTX 960 4gb or a 970

So that's the basics of what I have in mind. Sorry I couldn't do links but I'm on my phone at work. Not sure of the power supply because I don't want to spend too much, but I want to be able to upgrade the video card when the time comes and not have to worry about the power supply. I would go with more RAM but it seems like an upgrade that I can wait on and add to over time. I am waiting until the very end to buy a video card because I want to see what kind of deals there will be in the fall on them. If a 970 is still too expensive for me at that time, then I'll go with the 960. I also plan on adding a SSD in the future as well, but this is what I have planned to get this off the ground basically. Any advice is welcome.
Definitely try to use the guidelines set in the OP. AMD processors are awful. They don't even hang with Sandy Bridge processors from Intel which were released like 4-5 years ago.

mkenyon

Banned
The HyperX Cloud is an amazingly good set for the price.

The only worthwhile jump after that is the Sennheiser PC-350/360/363/Game Zero/Game One

Thorgal

The HyperX Cloud is an amazingly good set for the price.

The only worthwhile jump after that is the Sennheiser PC-350/360/363/Game Zero/Game One

thanks !

one last thing , this is just something i heard once but is it true that the ones with " Virtual Surround 7.1 " have worse speakers or sound quality then their Stereo counterparts ?

Dezeer

6 GB RAM
500 GB SATA 3 HDD
EVGA 260 GTX

Komplanen already responded to you about waiting couple of weeks to see the release of new cards, but I am going to add my own opinion.

SSD is something that will work in a new computer even if the norm shifts to faster Pci-e or M.2 SSD cards, so getting a 256 or 512GB SSD is a safe 'investment'. For the time of his next computer DDR 4 will most likely be the norm, so getting more DDR 3 ram now depends on how memory intensive games he plays, most likely I could recommend getting more memory.

Now depending on the motherboard a six core Westmere Xeon might work on it, like a x5650, and they can be had from ebay for less than $100. It can be overclocked like the 920, and while it has two more cores some games might not play that much better than what on OC'd 920 plays them.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sweet, first try combining my 2x2's with my new 2x4's and I did it right on the first try, bios reported 12gB usable ram operating at 1333mhz :). Time to boot the game that seemed to suffer the most from me just having 4gB, Chivalry.

I send my thanks to PC-GAF as a whole, this thread is super helpful :D. It looks kinda hot seeing 12 % of RAM used instead of the previous 40 % :lol.

Edit: Noticing that alt-tabbing in and out of Chivalry is now instant, loadtimes are massively improved and no stuttering when a level's been loaded. And my CPU seems a bit cooler since the latest Windows Update, which is odd. But I'll take it.

mkenyon

Banned
thanks !

one last thing , this is just something i heard once but is it true that the ones with " Virtual Surround 7.1 " have worse speakers or sound quality then their Stereo counterparts ?
It's neither true nor false. Ones that come with that essentially ship with a USB dongle that is a DAC which virtualizes it. That has no bearing on speaker quality.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's a great sensor, but the build quality leaves a little to be desired. Just about everyone in my gaming group bought one when they came out. The shortest life span was about 1.5 months, mine lasted about 4.

Given your large hands, I suggest you check out the Corsair M45 or Corsair Sabre Optical.

Here's a short list of mice with decent sensors. There's a few recent releases that aren't included, such as the Sabre Optical. I believe Zowie has a new one where the shape is almost identical to the Sensei. Then there's also the Logi 302, but that's for claw grip only.

I mean they're large but not American Monster Size large hands. My Diamondback 3G is just a *tad* small. Those mice you linked look like gargantuan beasts. (Also AMD processors are good for the money, my 6300 has no issues with new games at all really :p)

Edit: Anyone else noticing the random CPU heatspikes are gone since the 8.1 Updates that popped in today? Suddenly everything is much quieter :)

mkenyon

Banned
I mean they're large but not American Monster Size large hands. My Diamondback 3G is just a *tad* small. Those mice you linked look like gargantuan beasts. (Also AMD processors are good for the money, my 6300 has no issues with new games at all really :p)

Edit: Anyone else noticing the random CPU heatspikes are gone since the 8.1 Updates that popped in today? Suddenly everything is much quieter :)
I don't mean to be that guy, and I am sure that your processor seems fine, especially when it's the one that you've gotten used to.

But it does have issues with new games, and old games, and lots of games. Lots and lots of big frame time spikes that wouldn't exist on a modern Intel proc.

Chivalry is a great example. You'll be heavily limited in frame rate in anything UE3 based, with a lot of fairly large frame time spikes.

jono51

Banned
PCGaf, I'm looking to do pretty much a full upgrade of my exisiting PC. Comments on the below?

Your Current Specs:
Athlon X3 440, 4GB RAM, AMD 5770, 500gb Samsung Spinpoint F3, Be Quiet Pure Power l8 530W semi-modular.
Budget: UK, ~£750ish
Main Use: 5 Light Gaming, 5 Gaming, 1 Emulation (PS2/Wii), 1 Video Editing, 3 Streaming games in HD, 1 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage 5 (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1680*1050. Will upgrade to 1080p soon after.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: GW2, GTAV, Diablo 3, source stuff + general modern AAA stuff.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Be Quiet Pure Power 530W, 500gb HDD.
When will you build?: No hard deadline, but the sooner the better (i.e. this week even).
Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

This is what I've got so far:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£33.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£111.19 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£47.72 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£79.17 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£274.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£79.91 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £782.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-27 20:11 BST+0100

Thinking of picking up everything except the 970 at first, then waiting until computex (2nd-6th june right?) and seeing if there are any pricing adjustments between AMD and nvidia, unless there are any reasons in particular not to do so.

Few qns: Will take advantage of the toptech cashback offer for £23 off the above. Seems all good going by HUKD posts, unless UK GAF have any other input?

Regarding the Enthoo Evolv: Anyone have experience with it? I love the look of it and build quality seems great, however the only thing that makes me a little hesitant is some feedback I've seen around the web regarding poor QC. Unsure if that's just the typical unlucky/disgruntled few. If its blind luck as to whether or not you get a good one, I may just swap out for the Arc Mini R2.

Arkanius

Guys I have been testing.
If I keep my fans at 50% (GPU) my 280X keeps at around 80-83 ºC at 100% load.
Is it acceptable? Because at 50% my fans are barely audible which is fantastic for me.

(Testing with Witcher 3. 1080p, everything High/UIltra)

It's worth noting that I thought the Arkham Knight/ Witcher 3 code promotion expires June 1st so if you wait until Computex that's $50-$60 down the drain from what you could sell the codes for.

jono51

Banned
It's worth noting that I thought the Arkham Knight/ Witcher 3 code promotion expires June 1st so if you wait until Computex that's $50-$60 down the drain from what you could sell the codes for.

Hmm that's a good point. Might just spring for it sooner then, since I doubt there'd be a greater price drop than that on the 970 anyway. Plus, it'd give me something the put it through its paces.

vinnay

PCGaf, I'm looking to do pretty much a full upgrade of my exisiting PC. Comments on the below?

Your Current Specs:
Athlon X3 440, 4GB RAM, AMD 5770, 500gb Samsung Spinpoint F3, Be Quiet Pure Power 530W semi-modular.
Budget: UK, ~£750ish
Main Use: 5 Light Gaming, 5 Gaming, 1 Emulation (PS2/Wii), 1 Video Editing, 3 Streaming games in HD, 1 3D/Model work (and what program), General Usage 5 (Word, Web, 1080p playback).
Monitor Resolution: 1680*1050. Will upgrade to 1080p soon after.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: GW2, GTAV, Diablo 3, source stuff + general modern AAA stuff.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Be Quiet Pure Power 530W, 500gb HDD.
When will you build?: No hard deadline, but the sooner the better (i.e. this week even).
Will you be overclocking?: Yes.

This is what I've got so far:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£33.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£111.19 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£47.72 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£79.17 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (£274.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£79.91 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £782.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-27 20:11 BST+0100

Thinking of picking up everything except the 970 at first, then waiting until computex (2nd-6th june right?) and seeing if there are any pricing adjustments between AMD and nvidia, unless there are any reasons in particular not to do so.

Few qns: Will take advantage of the toptech cashback offer for £23 off the above. Seems all good going by HUKD posts, unless UK GAF have any other input?

Regarding the Enthoo Evolv: Anyone have experience with it? I love the look of it and build quality seems great, however the only thing that makes me a little hesitant is some feedback I've seen around the web regarding poor QC. Unsure if that's just the typical unlucky/disgruntled few. If its blind luck as to whether or not you get a good one, I may just swap out for the Arc Mini R2.

I would get a slightly bigger psu for overclocking

Ok PC gaf I need some help in deciding on some upgrades to my rig.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.00 @ CPL Online)
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 750GB 2.5 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($169.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual Classified ACX Video Card
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case ($195.99 @ Mwave Australia)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-28 06:19 AEST+1000

This is my current rig that I build at the beginning of 2014. I am wanting to upgrade a bit on the graphics card and the monitor I have which is a Dell 1080p monitor. I would like to get a 1440p monitor for gaming. I like having my games as close to Ultra settings as I can. I do some pc gaming on my LG 47" tv as well. I would say that I would probably game 50% on the 1080p tv and 50% on the 1440p monitor when I get one. I understand the gtx 980 ti is coming out next week but I am not sure if it will be worth the cash. I am tempted right now to go with either gtx 970s in Sli mode or buy one gtx 980 and then another one a bit later for Sli mode.

My questions are simply what are your opinions on the gtx 9 series for 1440p gaming. Is there anything on the AMD side I should consider as well. (I would really like g-sync so that is why I am siding with nvidia right now.) My max budget would be around $650 dollars for a graphics card upgrade. Also I have a 750 watt psu. Should I upgrade that if I want to do Sli with the 9 series? Also as a side note I am running out of space for data. What are some HDD you would recommend? I have been looking at either a Seagate SSHD or getting another WD black hard drive.

KissVibes

Banned
What is the best 144hz monitor for the lost price that I can buy at a place which won't make me suffer with dead or stuck pixels? I really don't want to spend more than like, $300 or so.

I have an IPS monitor for more accurate colors so TN is fine with me. VA would be great though.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I don't mean to be that guy, and I am sure that your processor seems fine, especially when it's the one that you've gotten used to.

But it does have issues with new games, and old games, and lots of games. Lots and lots of big frame time spikes that wouldn't exist on a modern Intel proc.

Chivalry is a great example. You'll be heavily limited in frame rate in anything UE3 based, with a lot of fairly large frame time spikes.

Chiv runs great though it was a a rather large step up from my old C2D E8500 performance wise, that's for sure. I know it ain't the best CPU but I never really had a top of the line rig so, as you say, it's fine for me :).
But yeah if you have money to spend and want the best, Intel's got the best offerings atm. I didn't intend to be that guy either, so sorry if my post came off as rude, didn't intend to sour the positive tone in this thread.

Fezan

Intel i5 3470 (710 SAR)
GIGABYTE H77-DS3H Ultra Durable
Corsair Vengeance ( 4gig x 2 ) 8 Gig CL1600
GIGABYTE GreenMax 650W 80+ Bronze Peak Performance 800W

Guys how is this combo. getting this second hand want to instal 970 . Want this as a secondary gaming PC

Well after 5 years I'm finally going to pull the trigger on upgrading my CPU/Mobo and GFX card. Seems like I'll be able to keep using almost every part except those 3 from my old build, but wanted to hear GAF's thoughts before I actually commit.

PcPartPicker / By Merchant

New Parts:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card

Old Parts:
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 750GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case : Rosewill DESTROYER ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Is there anything that jumps out as a no-no, or am I good to go?

Ettie

Do PC cases typically have a limited "on sale" lifespan before they are replaced by the latest and greatest? I'm holding out for a great price on the NZXT Phantom 410 in white, but I don't want to overdo it and end up having to pay a premium because they've gone out of production. This case was released in late 2011 according to reviews.

scogoth

No they are not in terms of overclocking, however you should try to increase both for gaming performance. Example, if you only overclock your core but not memory then increase graphic settings but now you may be limited by the higher res textures.

Femto.

Hey PCGAF, I've been thinking about buying a 980 (maybe a 980 ti, depending on price) but I'm not sure if my system would bottleneck? I'm not too savvy about PC gaming anymore since I've started getting in my higher division courses at college.

Rig:
i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz (stock)
8 GB of RAM
64-bit windows 7
MSI Twin Frozr 670 OC ed. 2GB
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 (mobo)

Should I be able to pop in a 980 or 980 ti with no need of upgrading anything else?

Xtyle

For H105 liquid cooling, do I still need to apply thermal paste to the pump on the cpu?
I do want to do some decent amount of over clocking

Xena

Dear PC GAF, and in special RGM79: Thank you so much once again for the help picking up pc components! All the parts came in today, and I have finished building my brother's pc:

He's already playing LoL on his awesome machine (my GTX780 am cry, hahaha)

The only thing I didn't take into account was the fact that the motherboard only had 3 fan headers, but I already googled for a cheap solution and found out about fan header splitters, which I already ordered so that we can run the second led fan in front of the case.

Other than that, everything went smooth! I ended up picking up the BenQ model that seemed equivalent to my VG248QE from Asus (he wanted BenQ). It looks pretty neat.

Thanks again, GAF!

hitgirl

I don't get why my games usually hang at 59.9-60fps. Shouldn't Rivatuner stay at a solid 60fps? Right now I'm locking framerate on Rivatuner at 60 and running adaptive vsync through nvidia control panel.

Blitzhex

For H105 liquid cooling, do I still need to apply thermal paste to the pump on the cpu?
I do want to do some decent amount of over clocking

The block comes with thermal paste pre-applied. Generally speaking you do need thermal paste always yeah.

Dear PC GAF, and in special RGM79: Thank you so much once again for the help picking up pc components! All the parts came in today, and I have finished building my brother's pc:

He's already playing LoL on his awesome machine (my GTX780 am cry, hahaha)

The only thing I didn't take into account was the fact that the motherboard only had 3 fan headers, but I already googled for a cheap solution and found out about fan header splitters, which I already ordered so that we can run the second led fan in front of the case.

Other than that, everything went smooth! I ended up picking up the BenQ model that seemed equivalent to my VG248QE from Asus (he wanted BenQ). It looks pretty neat.

Thanks again, GAF!

RGM79 is the savior that brought me to PC gaming by guiding me with my parts. Just wanted to give a thanks as I enjoy Witcher 3!

Hey all, weird question for you.

Just built my wife's PC last night. Both her PC and my PC are in the same room. I bought 2 new surge protectors ( i had previously just had mine in a power strip. I know, big dumb idea.) Her PC is running fine, I play a few hours of GTA 5 no problems, I put on Marvel Heroes and boom - pc cuts off. Won't turn on until I reset the surge protector. Get to the same point in the game - does it again. Her PC never cuts off, no lights go off, just my PC. I switch the surge protector from the bottom plug to the top and had no issues for the next hour or so before I went to bed.

In all here is what changed:

1) wife's PC on same breaker
2) new surge protector

Bad plug? Bad surge protector? Bad PSU? Any idea how to diagnose?

How confident are you in the wiring/grounding setup in your house or apt? Generally surge protectors popping for no apparent reason is due to grounding issues.

The most common cause is just a loose wire somewhere, and if switching the outlet fixes it that'd be my first guess. If you have the new PC hooked up to other common stuff in the room, or through some sort of metal you could have a ground loop somewhere too but... Loose wire is the most likely culprit.

TMC

Thanks alot! Looks like it's actually a couple bucks cheaper on Amazon. I'm sold.

Enjoy! I started using an SSD last year and it was hands down the best possible upgrade from my previous PC. I can't go back.

did you guy it yet?

the 500gb is $150...

http://slickdeals.net/f/7880607-samsung-evo-500gb-ssd-newegg-through-ebay-149-99

EDIT: it expired, nm sorry

Yeah, linking that was actually my first thought until I saw the same thing. Crazy good deal.

Giever

What do people think of this for a sub $600 build for my girlfriend's dad? It really doesn't need to be gigantically impressive, we're just trying to get him a computer to actually play modern games with, since he currently has an ancient Windows XP box, and I've wanted to get him into Civilization V, XCOM, Divinity: Original Sin, Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall, etc.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk Solid State Drive 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($20.59 @ Amazon)
Total: $539.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-05-27 21:49 EDT-0400

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom