• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Handal

So currently I'm running a 2500k and a 6950 2GB and was thinking about upgrading to the following:

CPU: i5-4960k
GPU: MSI GTX 980ti
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO/Crucial CT256MX100SSD1
RAM: 8/16GB 1866Mhz
MB: Gigabyte Z97X
PSU: Corsair CP-9020055
Case: NZXT S340

I'm aware the 980ti might be overkill for what I'm looking to do, mainly MP games at 120hz, but it's just something I'd like to spoil myself with. The question is, is it worth going all out now or should I just keep going with my 2500k & 6950 until the new year?

Any suggestions for replacements for that list are welcome since I'm not 100% about the case & PSU.

I say if you want to upgrade, wait for Skylake that is coming in ~3 weeks.

ricki42

So currently I'm running a 2500k and a 6950 2GB and was thinking about upgrading to the following:

I'm aware the 980ti might be overkill for what I'm looking to do, mainly MP games at 120hz, but it's just something I'd like to spoil myself with. The question is, is it worth going all out now or should I just keep going with my 2500k & 6950 until the new year?

Any suggestions for replacements for that list are welcome since I'm not 100% about the case & PSU.

If you haven't already, get a cooler (like Hyper 212 Evo) and overclock the CPU, you don't really need to upgrade it yet if you can get a decent overclock.
What's your current PSU? It may still be good enough for the 980ti.

TGMIII

If you haven't already, get a cooler (like Hyper 212 Evo) and overclock the CPU, you don't really need to upgrade it yet if you can get a decent overclock.
What's your current PSU? It may still be good enough for the 980ti.

I've got a Noctua DH-14 on my current PC but if I were to upgrade I'd probably be giving this current PC to a friend/family. Part of me knows it's probably not worth upgrading just yet since the 2500k seems to have a good bit of life in it yet but part of the problem is that my original MB died and I've been using a cheap replacement ever since. I'm thinking that if I'm going to upgrade I might as well do it all since it's been 4 years since I built this one.

Handal

I've got a Noctua DH-14 on my current PC but if I were to upgrade I'd probably be giving this current PC to a friend/family. Part of me knows it's probably not worth upgrading just yet since the 2500k seems to have a good bit of life in it yet but part of the problem is that my original MB died and I've been using a cheap replacement ever since. I'm thinking that if I'm going to upgrade I might as well do it all since it's been 4 years since I built this one.

I'm in the same situation as you. Currently owning a i5 2500k, but I got the itch to upgrade. I'm selling my PC to my nephew since he wants one. But like I said, I think it's better to wait for Skylake if you want to upgrade. That's what I'm doing anyways.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mine is a V series. I've also been looking for them but I can't find them either.
Ah ha!
http://cablemod.com/products/?filter_series=67
http://www.primochill.com/product/m...tomizable-cooler-master-v-series-modular-psu/

Ehh... Just OC 2500K and get a 980Ti tbh. You can see in a month if new Intel stuff is worth it.

Anyone know what would cause this notification? I checked my cable, it's nice and snug.

2015-07-13%2017_48_00-DisplayPorttrade%20Lower%20Setting%20Applied.png

How happy will I be with an R280 3GB? If like 1080p will at least mid high settings. How long should it reasonably last? Constantly seeing it at $150 is tempting.

Crisium

How happy will I be with an R280 3GB? If like 1080p will at least mid high settings. How long should it reasonably last? Constantly seeing it at $150 is tempting.

It's the best card for that price range new, certainly. It often matches the GTX 960 and even the Radeon 380 and certainly costs less than them. If your current card is much slower than it would be a decent stop gap until HBM2 cards late next year. Really, given that the 960 and 380 are similar to the 280, the only other viable price-to-performance stop gap card would be going up to a Radeon 290 which costs much more.

Sanjay

Ok then, here we go:

Your Current Specs: i5 2500k @stock/ 8gb @ 1333mhz / gigabyte z68ma-d2h/ on-board gpu /cheap 750w psu / unbranded but well ventilated case / ocz agility 3 120gb and Samsung 2tb 7200rpm

Budget: UK, not really a price more of a value proposition, maybe up to £1k if it requires

Main Use: the main use for this will be attaching it to my 4k tv, this will include gaming and streaming only, pure entertainment box. I'd like to game at 4k30fps. I'll probably be playing games like assassins creed watchdogs and the Witcher on this rig.

Monitor Resolution: 4k over hdmi so limited to 30fps, which I'm fine with, anything over 30fps will therefore be not required.

Looking to reuse any parts?: hopefully re use mobo, cpu, hard drives, case

When will you build?: hopefully within the week, before August at least.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes - probably the cpu if it can stay, I have had this cpu running stable at 4.5 in a friends rig (tested when arrived) so im happy to OC that.

So the question is if I buy:

390x
http://m.novatech.co.uk/products/co...hicscards/amdr9390xseries/r9390xgaming8g.html

2x 8gb@1866mhz
http://m.novatech.co.uk/products/co...3memory/ddr3pc3-149001866mhz/hx318c10fw8.html

Oh and likely need a more reliable psu, so suggestions for that would be great.

And some kind of cooler which I'm totally unsure what to get to clock the cpu around 4.5ghz, where do you think I'd be performance wise for 4k@30fps?

I'm in the same situation as you. Currently owning a i5 2500k, but I got the itch to upgrade. I'm selling my PC to my nephew since he wants one. But like I said, I think it's better to wait for Skylake if you want to upgrade. That's what I'm doing anyways.

For the people with a i5 2500k just oc it 4.5ghz. Its really easy.

For gaming i5 4960k will not give you better performance compared to a i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz and if it does its like less then 3 to 5%. So for the amount of money your spending on a new cpu and mobo, the return is not worth it at all.

Now getting a good GPU is where the really performance increase will come, save your money and get a 980ti.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is all you need to 4.5ghz and 8gb ram is enough for gaming. The NZXT S340 case is good but its a hassle to remove stuff in and out, check out some YouTube reviews of it to see for your self, its bigger brother is the better case but it does cost more, the NZXT h440.

the 4690k is ~250€ right now, what should we expect the Skylake equivalent (6600k) to cost at launch? I'm wondering if I should do the 500€ upgrade now with a 4690k, and DDR3 memory, or wait for Skylake and DDR4... Damn, it's difficult to upgrade.

Basically I have my shopping list here:

- Intel Core i5 4690K
- Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97
- 8GB DDR3
- 520 Watt Seasonic M12II-520
- A 1TB HDD

Should I do this now? I'm just going to re-use my Define R3 and HD 6950 (yes).

Another question, I'm probably going to re-install my OEM copy of Windows 7 to the new machine, can I still upgrade to Windows 10 for free in October or so (if I wait for Skylake), or will it cost the full amount?

ACE 1991

So the great build in the OP is the best way to go for a friend who wants to spend $1200 for a PC ,monitor,mouse and keyboard? What should I tell him to get in terms of those accessories? Also, is the 390 or 970 a better buy?

AmyS

AMD Working On An Entire Range of HBM GPUs To Follow Fiji And Fury Lineup

The advantages that HBM brings to the table, including the significantly reduced PCB area and improved power efficiency, makes its use in notebooks an extremely attractive proposition. The smaller chip and board area as well as the power efficiency gains that HBM enables would have a more profound impact on notebooks where power and size are much more strict limitations than what we typically see on the desktop. However AMD showed no shyness in leveraging those advantages on the desktop with the compact Radeon R9 Fury X and the even smaller Radeon R9 Nano.

We found out last year that AMD is working on a new graphics architecture that will succeed GCN 1.2 ( Fiji and Tonga ) in 2016. The new family of GPUs based on this architecture are reportedly code named Arctic Islands with a flagship enthusiast GPU code named Greenland. This family is set to debut next year with second generation HBM and on a new FinFET (14/16nm) manufacturing process rather than 28nm which is what all discrete GPUs from Nvidia and AMD are currently based on.

The process node jump makes Arctic Islands a true next generation family of products due to the benefits that accompany any migration to a smaller process node. The significant increase in transistor density, switching speeds and reduced leakage enable faster, larger, more power efficient and more complex GPUs than what’s possible on 28nm today.

AMD Has Priority Access To HBM2 Production Capacity And Is Aiming To Take Full Advantage Of It

Our sources have told us that AMD management has thrown significant weight behind this new range of graphics chips to accelerate its development and time to market. This is we’re told is to take advantage of a deal established with SK Hynix which gives AMD priority to HBM2 capacity which is going to be in limited supply initially. Capturing as much of the initial production capacity as possible would give AMD an edge against its main rival, Nvidia, going into the next generation of GPUs featuring second generation HBM technology. Which is exactly what the company is gunning for.

sk_hynix_hbm_dram_2.jpg

If successful this would push Nvidia’s Pascal launch schedule back than what the company originally planned. But the time waiting will not go to waste we’ve no doubt. The company has reportedly already taped out its first Pascal chip. However without access to HBM2 the graphics cards based on Pascal can’t produced. This may lead the company to consider the possibility of spending more time working on successive Pascal chips until it can secure enough HBM2 production capacity.

This fascinating dynamic is the result of AMD’s seven year involvement in the co-development of the High Bandwidth Memory JEDEC standard with its partner SK Hynix we’re told. Which is why AMD was the first company to introduce a product featuring HBM. And why the the first generation of the technology is exclusive to the company. It’s not clear whether SK Hynix will continue to give AMD priority access to production capacity with HBM3 and successive generations of the technology. Although AMD is clearly keen on leveraging its exclusivity deal with SK Hynix in the here and now.
While being first to market can be advantageous, going second can prove to be equally favorable. As it would allow competitors to size up their competition and prepare a more appropriate response. We’ve seen this take place time and time again with each generation of GPUs.

Full article: http://wccftech.com/amd-working-entire-range-hbm-gpus-follow-fiji-fury-lineup/

quesalupa

I can run Witcher 3 on medium graphics + medium post processing and keep it close to 60 fps with an i3 so I'd say you should be happy.

I've been lurking in this thread for ages. After maybe 5 years since I built a gaming PC (it was an i2500k build). I was in a place where I didn't have a lot of game time, so I sold the system to a friend of mine. I'm getting the itch to desktop game again, so I thought it was time to treat myself.

I just finished this build this past weekend and I love it so far.

Here's the guts:

Case: NZXT 440 (red) - $120
Power: Corsair CX 750 - $80
Board: MSI Gaming 7 - $150
Processor: i5-4690 - $175 (Fry's had a helluva deal on this, otherwise I would have gotten the K)
RAM - 16gb PNY 1866mhz - $100
Video: EVGA gtx 970 ssc - $330
Hard Drives: Solid State 240gb + 1tb WD - $80 & $50 respectively
Total build cost: $1085 (I saved a few bucks by using my old mouse/keyboard/monitor)

I have an older 24 inch 1680x1050 120hz monitor that I will use for awhile before buying a gsync down the road. Keyboard is a Corsair K90 and mouse is a Naga Hex.

Here's a pic of the board (sry for the crap iPhone pic):

image.jpg

LilJoka

Anyone know the cheapest GPU that has Displayport?

Would it be possible to get 1440p like so
AMD 5570 -> DVI -> DVI to Displayport -> Dell U2713HM
?

I have another PC connected via DVI D so can't use that port on the monitor for this PC.

Looking for some guidance on a PC build. I'm no good with picking parts myself because I don't know what's the best bang for the buck for my budget. My budget will be $800. I won't need any memory, hard drives or a disc drive as I'll be keeping those from my current pc.

I'll mainly be using the PC for gaming and possibly streaming. Games I'd like to have run smoothly would be The Witcher 3 at the moment and possibly Arkham Knight some time in the future if purchased. Looking for something in a smaller form this go around, so Micro ATX interests me at the moment, but would settle for something fitting in a mid tower if it could get more bang for the buck.

I appreciate any builds you guys send my way ♥

appaws

Banned
Excited to see a reveal of this today:

Since I plan for my next buid to be black/white/chrome...

Gonna do this mobo, with all chrome fittings, nickel EK waterblock on the CPU, and a nickel backplate on the GPU. Maybe some white tubing and cables. Not sure how to light it. Gotta get rid of the Blue LED fans I am using now...I don't know whether to go with something with white blades or not.

I also see that EVGA is doing a all blacked out Z170 motherboard, and that Asus is doing the Z170 Pro in black and silver instead of gold...so that could be awesome too!

Vashetti

Banned
Hi there, I have around £2,000 to spend on a PC, and I've been out of the PC scene for several years.

What's the best hardware I can get for my buck? Bearing in mind this will need to include a monitor too at least. I'll be using it for gaming and high-res design. I don't expect to max it out at 4K res but 1080p+ would be great. I've been to a few websites that help you build your own computer, but I'm having difficulty choosing what hardware I should and shouldn't skimp out on.

Would really appreciate some input, thanks guys :)

RGM79

Looking for some guidance on a PC build. I'm no good with picking parts myself because I don't know what's the best bang for the buck for my budget. My budget will be $800. I won't need any memory, hard drives or a disc drive as I'll be keeping those from my current pc.

I'll mainly be using the PC for gaming and possibly streaming. Games I'd like to have run smoothly would be The Witcher 3 at the moment and possibly Arkham Knight some time in the future if purchased. Looking for something in a smaller form this go around, so Micro ATX interests me at the moment, but would settle for something fitting in a mid tower if it could get more bang for the buck.

I appreciate any builds you guys send my way ♥

Please fill out the questionnaire from the opening post of this thread, and list exactly what parts you have on hand to reuse so we know what to work with here.

New Intel Skylake parts are due to come out next month according to rumors, but you won't be able to reuse your existing RAM with it, most likely.

Hi there, I have around £2,000 to spend on a PC, and I've been out of the PC scene for several years.

What's the best hardware I can get for my buck? Bearing in mind this will need to include a monitor too at least. I'll be using it for gaming and high-res design. I don't expect to max it out at 4K res but 1080p+ would be great. I've been to a few websites that help you build your own computer, but I'm having difficulty choosing what hardware I should and shouldn't skimp out on.

Would really appreciate some input, thanks guys :)

Same goes for you, please fill out the questions sheet. What do you mean "high-res" design? Photoshop? 3D/CAD modelling?

Dr.brain64

I'm interested in building an AMD-only build (for work). I've built an intel gaming pc already but I have absolutely no AMD knowledge so I need your help GAF.

I need this build to be able to easily run 3 monitors (1080p) - multi tasking with Excel, Word, AutoCAD while also listening to music (youtube/mp3s) and/or watching videos (youtube)!
Example: 3 excel windows + 3 word windows + 1 autocad + 1 music/or vid.

I need your suggestions for:
- the motherboard,
- the CPU,
- the PSU (how many Wtts/minimum),
- and the GPU (example: 2 dvi & 1 hdmi)
I have the rest including a 120gb ssd (main), a 1tb hdd, fan heatsink, cables, case, cd/dvd, 2 small fans. I don't have the monitors yet but they'll be simple native 21in. 1080p ones.

I am canadian / this build will NOT be used for gaming / no overclocking (never) / September deadline / any ATX / NO budget limit but please suggest the best bang for the buck.

Thank you for your time!

Vashetti

Banned
Please fill out the questionnaire from the opening post of this thread, and list exactly what parts you have on hand to reuse so we know what to work with here.

New Intel Skylake parts are due to come out next month according to rumors, but you won't be able to reuse your existing RAM with it, most likely.

Same goes for you, please fill out the questions sheet. What do you mean "high-res" design? Photoshop? 3D/CAD modelling?

2D designing in high resolutions.

My apologies. ^^; I'm selling my current PC to a friend, so this will be a fresh build barring a couple of parts.

Your Current Specs:
i7 4770k
G.Skill Ares 16GB (4x4) 1866 DDR3 memory
MSI Z87 GD65 Motherboard
MSI Twin Frozr GTX 780
Seasonic X850 Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF932 Full Tower
HGST Deskstar 3.5-Inch 2TB 7200RPM SATA II HDD
Kingston HyperX 2.5-Inch 128GB SSD
Creative Soundblaster Z Soundcard
LG Internal UH12NS30 BD-ROM Blu-ray Optical Drive
Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

Budget: $800.00 US

Main Use:
Gaming - 5
Emulation - 1
Video Editing - 2
Streaming games in HD - 1
3D/Model work (and what program) - 1 (no program)
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 4

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 27" and will probably not upgrade for a couple of years

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
The Witcher 3
Arkham Knight
FFXIV Heavensward

30fps is acceptable but as close to 60 as the budget/build will allow is what I'd be aiming for. 120 is not necessary for me.

How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? I like some of the PhysX effects in games I play, I'm not very familiar with how SuperSampling or CUDA work, so these I cannot answer.

Looking to reuse any parts?:
I will be reusing my 2TB HDD, my SSD and possibly my memory

When will you build?:
I hope within the next couple of weeks. No deadline.

Will you be overclocking?:
Yes.

kennah

I'm interested in building an AMD-only build (for work). I've built an intel gaming pc already but I have absolutely no AMD knowledge so I need your help GAF.

I need this build to be able to easily run 3 monitors (1080p) - multi tasking with Excel, Word, AutoCAD while also listening to music (youtube/mp3s) and/or watching videos (youtube)!

- the motherboard,
- the CPU,
I have the rest including a 120gb ssd (main), a 1tb hdd, fan heatsink, cables, case, cd/dvd, 2 small fans. I don't have the monitors yet but they'll be simple native 21in. 1080p ones.

I am canadian / this build will NOT be used for gaming / no overclocking (never) / September deadline / any ATX / NO budget limit but please suggest the best bang for the buck.

Thank you for your time!

Best bang for the buck would still be Intel....

Why the limitation? And you say no Budget, but please give a range.

Top to bottom, my new planned build.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($148.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.18 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($334.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($131.65 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer XB240H ABPR 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($414.37 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($164.99 @ Directron)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($58.29 @ Newegg)
Total: $2088.28

That monitor is a painful hit, but people say G-Sync is worth it.

Jayne

Top to bottom, my new planned build.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($148.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($108.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.18 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($334.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case ($86.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($131.65 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer XB240H ABPR 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($414.37 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($164.99 @ Directron)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($58.29 @ Newegg)
Total: $2088.28

That monitor is a painful hit, but people say G-Sync is worth it.

Just out of curiosity, why'd you choose the Acer XB240H?

Jayne

It was either the Acer or the AOC, and my current two monitors are Acers.

Ahh, I see. I only ask because I was strongly considering the Acer over the AOC, but having no prior Acer experience and not being able to find any videos or reviews on it made me too uneasy. The AOC had plenty of video reviews to put me at ease. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it if and when you end up getting it.

Ahh, I see. I only ask because I was strongly considering the Acer over the AOC, but having no prior Acer experience and not being able to find any videos or reviews on it made me too uneasy. The AOC had plenty of video reviews to put me at ease. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it if and when you end up getting it.

I've been good with Acer for a few years now. I'll let you know when the build parts get here.

RGM79

- the motherboard,
- the CPU,

Thank you for your time!

That's a bit odd, none of your work seems to require AMD parts only? I recommend Intel if possible, as AMD's FX line is outdated and their newest quad core APUs can't match an Intel quad core processor. If it were just Excel and Word with music and video then an APU should handle that just fine, but AutoCAD makes me want to strongly recommend that you go with Intel instead of AMD. Not that an APU or FX processor won't handle it, but if you have the budget for it, why not opt for stronger CPU performance?

Can you tell us what case you can so we can look for components to best fit it? Also, what monitors will you be using, we need to know to figure out what graphics card you should get and what outputs you should use (displayport, HDMI, DVI, etc).

2D designing in high resolutions.

You can get away with spending around £1000 on the tower itself, and the rest of the budget can go towards whatever you want on the (1440p?) monitor and perhaps other peripherals.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£258.06 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.95 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£71.56 @ More Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£122.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.40 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (£257.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.19 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£64.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £975.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-14 05:25 BST+0100

My apologies. ^^; I'm selling my current PC to a friend, so this will be a fresh build barring a couple of parts.

Your Current Specs:
i7 4770k
G.Skill Ares 16GB (4x4) 1866 DDR3 memory
MSI Z87 GD65 Motherboard
MSI Twin Frozr GTX 780
Seasonic X850 Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF932 Full Tower
HGST Deskstar 3.5-Inch 2TB 7200RPM SATA II HDD
Kingston HyperX 2.5-Inch 128GB SSD
Creative Soundblaster Z Soundcard
LG Internal UH12NS30 BD-ROM Blu-ray Optical Drive
Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60

Budget: $800.00 US

Main Use:
Gaming - 5
Emulation - 1
Video Editing - 2
Streaming games in HD - 1
3D/Model work (and what program) - 1 (no program)
General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 4

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080 27" and will probably not upgrade for a couple of years

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
The Witcher 3
Arkham Knight
FFXIV Heavensward

30fps is acceptable but as close to 60 as the budget/build will allow is what I'd be aiming for. 120 is not necessary for me.

How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA to you? I like some of the PhysX effects in games I play, I'm not very familiar with how SuperSampling or CUDA work, so these I cannot answer.

Looking to reuse any parts?:
I will be reusing my 2TB HDD, my SSD and possibly my memory

When will you build?:
I hope within the next couple of weeks. No deadline.

Will you be overclocking?:
Yes.

How does this look?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone PS07B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($68.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $801.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-14 00:36 EDT-0400

Next month, Intel is said to be launching their new Skylake processors and Z170 motherboards, you may be interested in that. It will most likely cost a bit more than existing Z97 parts, though.

Smokey

I'm getting ready to do a leak test on my Smokey level rig

why did I let mkenyon talk me into watercooling

i'm rooting for you. hasn't it been a couple of years since you started getting the pieces?

Next year... If all goes well. I'm aiming for Smokey level, but don't quote me in case things don't go according to plan.

heh go for it. just as long as you know it's not the smartest thing to do from a price/perf perspective. if you are cool with that go ahead and jump into the deep end ;)

Been looking heavily into the Philips BDM4065uc monitor/TV. 40'' 4K monitor goodness. VA panel, Displayport, HDMI. Currently on sale at Best Buy for $800...

Anybody have one of these and use it for 4k gaming?

Maybe someone could help me pick a headset. I'm looking for something around $65. Could be a little more if on Amazon(might be put on sale on prime day). I need something with noise canceling because someone will be watching tv in the same room or telling my name across the house and I want to be able to ignore her. I will do a little bit of music listening, but mainly for gaming. I was looking at the razer kracken pro, but I'm not in a rush so I want to look around.

That's a bit odd, none of your work seems to require AMD parts only? I recommend Intel if possible, as AMD's FX line is outdated and their newest quad core APUs can't match an Intel quad core processor. If it were just Excel and Word with music and video then an APU should handle that just fine, but AutoCAD makes me want to strongly recommend that you go with Intel instead of AMD. Not that an APU or FX processor won't handle it, but if you have the budget for it, why not opt for stronger CPU performance?

Can you tell us what case you can so we can look for components to best fit it? Also, what monitors will you be using, we need to know to figure out what graphics card you should get and what outputs you should use (displayport, HDMI, DVI, etc).

You can get away with spending around £1000 on the tower itself, and the rest of the budget can go towards whatever you want on the (1440p?) monitor and perhaps other peripherals.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (£258.06 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.95 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Novatech)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£71.56 @ More Computers)
Storage: Crucial BX100 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£122.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£35.40 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (£257.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case (£49.19 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£64.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £975.11
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-14 05:25 BST+0100

How does this look?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($100.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card ($319.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone PS07B MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($68.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $801.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-14 00:36 EDT-0400

Next month, Intel is said to be launching their new Skylake processors and Z170 motherboards, you may be interested in that. It will most likely cost a bit more than existing Z97 parts, though.

Since it's not going to be SFF, why are you guys shying away from the R9 390? It's about the same price as the 970, yet it has 8GB vram.

Performance with 1080p is about the same..1440p the 390 gets the edge right?

RGM79

Since it's not going to be SFF, why are you guys shying away from the R9 390? It's about the same price as the 970, yet it has 8GB vram.

Performance with 1080p is about the same..1440p the 390 gets the edge right?

AMD holds a bit of an advantage at higher resolutions, but not by a huge gap. It's close enough that driver and game code optimization could tilt game performance results toward either card. Still, you're right, AMD is an option. I hadn't considered what the UK pricing would be since I automatically and incorrectly assumed the R9 390 would cost more than the GTX 970 overseas, being a "new" card. I guess that the R9 390/390X required minimal reworking on R9 290/290X production lines, so there isn't much of a "new product" price hike.

Looking at skinflint, the R9 390 starts at around £235 while the GTX 970 starts at £237, roughly costing the same. The GTX 970 is still the go-to option if heat and noise are important concerns, otherwise the 8GB VRAM of the R9 390 is nice to have and definitely more future-proof. However, I don't think 8GB VRAM Is that enticing.. yet. Not many games will use up that much VRAM, and to play at 4K and high enough settings to use up that much VRAM you'd need to have twin R9 390/390X in crossfire for good enough performance to make use of that.

baphomet

Maybe someone could help me pick a headset. I'm looking for something around $65. Could be a little more if on Amazon(might be put on sale on prime day). I need something with noise canceling because someone will be watching tv in the same room or telling my name across the house and I want to be able to ignore her. I will do a little bit of music listening, but mainly for gaming. I was looking at the razer kracken pro, but I'm not in a rush so I want to look around.

Refurbished Razer Tiamat 7.1 on eBay are like $80-85. They are 10x the headphones as those Kracken Pro's, and they are actually 7.1.

i'm rooting for you. hasn't it been a couple of years since you started getting the pieces?

heh go for it. just as long as you know it's not the smartest thing to do from a price/perf perspective. if you are cool with that go ahead and jump into the deep end ;)

Been looking heavily into the Philips BDM4065uc monitor/TV. 40'' 4K monitor goodness. VA panel, Displayport, HDMI. Currently on sale at Best Buy for $800...

Anybody have one of these and use it for 4k gaming?
New CPU and GPU processes in the same year and HMB2... What better time to go all in? I just have to get my wife on board, lol. She already knows I'm Building new PCs for both of us next year.

I can get the R7 265 and the R7 360 for the same price. Which should I go for? The 360 has a newer GPU and draws less power but 265 seems to be a better card hands down? (Upgrading from a Radeon 7770)

Aesthet1c

Anyone have any input on this entry level PC build I'm doing for my brother. His budget is $600. Anything I should change or do differently? Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($126.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $608.91

Hey PC GAF - I'm in the process of my first real upgrade so far. I built my original pc back in 2011 and cut a few corners (case, tiny mobo, non-modular psu etc.) so that I could splurge on a gtx 570 and an i5 2500k, and that I'm looking to smooth everything out.

My GPU and PSU already got upgraded, and I've order a nice Fractal case to re house everything (better cable management woo!). The only thing I'm waiting on is a new cpu/mobo, and I've waited so long because of Skylake. Given that we think it's coming out soon, what can I do to prepare?

• First concern and main worry is the heat - a few articles I read (emphasis on "few," I am no expert) mentioned a "95 Watt TDP" that could "require third party cooling solutions" (CPU World). Since these will be the enthusiast K line, do they mean stock speeds will also need some form of cooling? Or only if you decide to overclock?

• I heard there would be motherboards that could support both DDR3 and DDR4, though not simultaneously. Do we know any more about what these models will be? I know RAM is cheap, but one less upgrade is one less upgrade.

• Lastly, what are general sentiments on Skylake? Should I bother waiting for it? It would require me to upgrade my mobo and potentially my RAM, not to mention a cooling system as I only ever used stock cooling (I know, I am the worst). Is anyone else waiting out the first wave? Last time I jumped in first I got the 3.5+.5 VRAM GTX 970 debacle, although that really doesn't mater all that much.
Thanks for any input - I've really been putting off this last step of my upgrade because I just can't figure out what makes sense just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom