• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.
so 2 months ago i finally build a new pc and now the last puzzlepiece is the monitor. I read the OP and i dont think i need 144hz or 4K. Full HD is enough. I compared some on amazon and i think the BenQ RL2455HM is quit good but the few negative comments make me worry . They say the picture is very bright and the color is not that good even after some tweaks in the options. Also the picture ( written text) gets blurry when you scroll down, like on google or even changes color. But there are many more positive reviews with 4-5 stars so i`m confused. Right now i`m watching some reviews on youtube. My plan is to buy/order it monday.

I`m looking for a 24 " and dont want to spend more than 200€. Any advice would be nice.

So guys, how much performance will I lose if I go from my G1 GTX 970 SLI to a single G1 GTX 980 TI?

I really don't like the 3.5GB limit and of course SLI not being supported in some games, however is there a big difference going from my sli setup to a single GTX 980 ti?

I cant get any benchmarks showing the Gigabyte GTX 980 TI against GTX 970 SLI,anyone have any?

Thanks.

longdi

Banned
Pricing will probably be just outside my range.

As things stand I'm at around £318 on a mobo, CPU, memory and cooler. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/RQNhZL (minus my Flubit discounts)

Those are high end parts, so I advice to hold and bite the bullet for Skylake. At best guess it will be 10% more, but you are going to use it for a few years. Better to get the newest which only is a months a way. And you can install win10 right off the bat. :).

Audioboxer

Those are high end parts, so I advice to hold and bite the bullet for Skylake. At best guess it will be 10% more, but you are going to use it for a few years. Better to get the newest which only is a months a way. And you can install win10 right off the bat. :).

I'll consider your advice :)

The only thing I've bought so far is 8GB 2400MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM Kit of 2 XMP HyperX Savage. Managed to snag them at Dabs for 39.99.

They are on offer for today only - https://www.dabs.com/products/kings...on-ecc-cl11-dimm-kit-of-2-xmp-9QN5.html?src=2

LilJoka

IMO, single fan width liquid cooling is not worth it. You can put a really nice single fan cooler right on your CPU. It will perform better and cost less than the liquid solution does. The only upside i can see to liquid in the single slot case is that it's more effective at venting the heat out of the case (which can be important, granted).

Once you go at least double-width, the advantages of liquid come into play- you can use a bigger radiator than is possible with on CPU air, have more surface area for heat transfer, and this let's you get higher performance for the same or less noise level.

Note "performance" in this context is just referring to heat transfer, not performance of the computer. The upside of better heat transfer is that you can run a given overclock at a lower temp.

Temperature. Let's say I've built a rig with an i7 overclocked at, let's say... 4.6GHz. The H100i is going to be about 5-10 deg C lower temp than the H60. Now you could do the same thing with an H60, but you are going to have a higher temp which is going to negatively effect overall system performance.

You probably don't want your i7 to be running at 70 something degrees, so you get the H100. Unless of course the poster you are replying to meant there was literally no advantage to the H100, in which case they are wrong.

Heres my experience after multiple cooling solution including the H80i, Venomous X, Silver Arrow SBE Extreme and EK L120 kit on a 3960X.

None of these coolers will get a higher overclock on average. The CPU will be at the mercy of the TIM application between the die and the heatspreader, whether its at the edge of manufacture toleration or well within. You will be bottlenecked here first.

Secondly, having a larger rad and cooler CPU temp is not better for the case temps when using as intake (as most will). Since even more thermal energy is being disspiated into the case. But either way, its not a big deal here, couple of *C.

Unless you are striving for the bleeding edge OC, only then does it really matter.

I am running a 3960X at 4.7Ghz 1.38v with the H80i, and now EK L120. These are thicker rads, but still only 120mm, and i hit 75*C maximum. Thats in stress tests, so again, even if i had infereior cooling, i probably couldnt run at the edge of my chips potential due to stress test temps being too high, but in normal workload (gaming etc) its not going to matter. So nobody will end up running their chips at 70*c everyday. And even if you did (as i do on my silent i7 3770 4.2Ghz rig) its not a problem. CPU will last way over 5 years.

You should budget accordingly but understand that there are quite large diminishing returns as coolers get bigger, with WCing less so compared to Air, but still its not a massive deal with high end cooling options, that would include 120mm AIO's.

You may also bring up the noise, most will say itll be lower on the larger rad, however again this is not the case. You can run the fans at 600rpm on the smaller rad too, temps will be a little higher (maybe 5*c) in normal workloads. And then when stress testing you run fans at maximum speeds anyway so here its doesnt matter either.

Oh and my personal experience with Corsair AIO - They are trash, air is way better.

knitoe

So guys, how much performance will I lose if I go from my G1 GTX 970 SLI to a single G1 GTX 980 TI?

I really don't like the 3.5GB limit and of course SLI not being supported in some games, however is there a big difference going from my sli setup to a single GTX 980 ti?

I cant get any benchmarks showing the Gigabyte GTX 980 TI against GTX 970 SLI,anyone have any?

Thanks.
Same numbers: http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review/
If you’re thinking SLI/CF will win by a landslide, it depends on what game and settings you’re running. On average, 970 SLI is only 5-10 percent faster than the 980 Ti, but depending on the game it may be as much as 20 percent faster...or 15 percent slower. For such a small overall gain in performance, we’d take the 980 Ti. The added VRAM will likely prove more beneficial with time, with several newer releases already using more than 4GB VRAM at maximum quality and high resolutions, and it leaves the door open to 980 Ti SLI in the future. And single card solutions are almost always better—some games simply don't offer good SLI/CrossFire support, especially with launch drivers.

guys any idea what kind i;d be looking at performance wise with this build? ( I have this build already but dont think it's doing very well but it could just be my incompetence)

Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77-DS3H Motherboard
Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (Overclocked to 4.2Ghz)
GTX 980 Reference Design GPU
OCZ OCZ600MXSP-UK ModXStream Pro 600W ATX Power Supply
Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 Memory
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP
(Yes I mixed RAM not sure if that's an issue)
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
All cooled by 3 Sp120 performance and 3 SP120 Quiets with a Kraken x41 on the CPU

I can't seem to get games to run in high very well and i'm not sure what the issue is? Titanfall won't play stable on Max, Borderlands 2 with Physx on constantly drops frames to the 40-30s and GTA won't play smooth either (I know open world and all that) just wondering if such performance is normal? even the vanishing of ethan carter I had to turn down. geoforce keeps telling me games should be higher than what I have them set as but doing that makes them worse.

Any idea if this is normal for my build and what to improve?? was considering more RAM since my RAM sticks are clocked at 2 different speeds (I know it defaults to the lowest) but would that help my build any? i'm still learning PC building so go easy on me xD

That system should get you a very, very good performance. Ethan Carter should run at max. with stable 60fps (I seem to remember that it has some kind of stuttering issue here and there, though). Titanfall should definitely be max. @60fps.
Two or three things to look out for:
1. Is your RAM running at dual channel mode? Check with for example CPU-Z
2. Is your CPU running @ the clock speed it's supposed to be running at (if it doesn't, it might be an issue with temperatures or with BIOS settings)? Check with an overlay, for example afterburner to see if all four cores run @ full speed all the time
3. Are you sure about the GPU? Again, just to make sure check with your Geforce driver tool to see if it's actually a GTX980.

If all this doesn't help, run a game and see what component is holding your performance back. Either CPU or GPU should be running @100% utilization.

longdi

Banned
I'll consider your advice :)

The only thing I've bought so far is 8GB 2400MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM Kit of 2 XMP HyperX Savage. Managed to snag them at Dabs for 39.99.

They are on offer for today only - https://www.dabs.com/products/kings...on-ecc-cl11-dimm-kit-of-2-xmp-9QN5.html?src=2

I would cancel or return that. Skylake is ddr4. :p

And if u do a price comparison, ddr4 is just sooo slightly more expensive, those that run at higher clocks.

Ddr4 prices have dropped so much, no sense to stick with ddr3, hence Skylake ftw. Normally Intel new platforms will slot into the same price bracket as their outgoing one. So no reason not to wait for the Skylake!

LilJoka

And if u do a price comparison, ddr4 is just sooo slightly more expensive, those that run at higher clocks.

Ddr4 prices have dropped so much, no sense to stick with ddr3, hence Skylake ftw. Normally Intel new platforms will slot into the same price bracket as their outgoing one. So no reason not to wait for the Skylake!

There are supposed to be boards with DDR3 as the chips are supposed to have memory controllers for DDR3 and 4.

DDR3 is still way cheaper, not worth the extra cost of skylake imo. Haswell is still perfectly fine to buy into. We all know that even if Skylake is a little faster it means nothing, just ask the i5 2500K crew.

Only advantage is on the USB C, PCIE lanes etc.

Higher latency of DDR4 means you need faster speeds to match DDR3 latencies at lower speeds too. So its not a straight price comparison between speeds.

Audioboxer

I cancelled just because I seen Amazon pricematched and I've ran it through Flubit, awaiting a few £ off 39.99. I just noticed I do already have DDR3 ram (2 x 4GB of CML8GX3M2A1600C9). Was convinced I was on DDR2.

Motherboard is P8Z68-V LX and CPU as I've said i3-2100.

longdi

Banned
There are supposed to be boards with DDR3 as the chips are supposed to have memory controllers for DDR3 and 4.

DDR3 is still way cheaper, not worth the extra cost of skylake imo. Haswell is still perfectly fine to buy into. We all know that even if Skylake is a little faster it means nothing, just ask the i5 2500K crew.

Only advantage is on the USB C, PCIE lanes etc.

Higher latency of DDR4 means you need faster speeds to match DDR3 latencies at lower speeds too. So its not a straight price comparison between speeds.

~10% more performance still counts, if you paying for the samey prices. I wont touch on dual ram support boards. They are probably limited in models and may incur unnecessary performance issues.

I am more concern with the after support. While Intel has excellent RMA services, motherboard makers will drop Haswell boards like hot rocks in 1-2 months time. They didn't even bother updating their bios to properly support Broadwell. What more, ddr3 will soon decrease production after Skylake/Ddr4 goes mainstream. You end up paying more for Ddr3 by years end i feel. :p

longdi

Banned
I cancelled just because I seen Amazon pricematched and I've ran it through Flubit, awaiting a few £ off 39.99. I just noticed I do already have DDR3 ram (2 x 4GB of CML8GX3M2A1600C9). Was convinced I was on DDR2.

You got a good serviceable setup atm, all the more to wait for Skylake!

LilJoka

Shouldnt be waiting for Skylake, should be finding a used 3770K if anything.

Audioboxer

I pulled the triggers, I'm happy to update now and reap the benefits today. Technology moves so fast and I don't think the prices I got the below for are going to drop much in the next few months.

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 - £91.92
Intel Core i5 4690K - £162.02
COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO - £22.09
Crucial BX100 250GB - £55.71 (to replace an old 64GB M4)

Looking forward to PC tinkering again, haven't played around with new hardware for ages. The above will last me a fair few years. What I take out I'll take over to my parents and put it in their PC, which is slow as.

Shouldnt be waiting for Skylake, should be finding a used 3770K if anything.

PC components are one thing I like to get new and with warranty intact.

LilJoka

I pulled the triggers, I'm happy to update now and reap the benefits today. Technology moves so fast and I don't think the prices I got the below for are going to drop much in the next few months.

Looking forward to PC tinkering again, haven't played around with new hardware for ages. The above will last me a fair few years. What I take out I'll take over to my parents and put it in their PC, which is slow as.

Why? Find a post in this thread where a CPU has failed.

Audioboxer

Why? Find a post in this thread where a CPU has failed.

Just a preference really, I don't doubt the failure rate is like 0.1%. Only thing I've ever had fail on me was a SSD.

Even second hand, a 3770K was still outside of my budget.

Flubit offered me £35.38 for the Kingston HyperX Savage 8GB (2x4GB) 2400MHz DDR3, so snapped that up as well.

RGM79

To expand on what Liljoka means, processors generally undergo very stringent quality control, it is extremely rare to get a defective processor or have one fail prematurely. It's actually pretty safe to buy a used processor, as long as it hasn't been physically damaged.

I fully expect most if not all processors to last longer than ten years, and although overclocking does put more stress than normal on processors, it shouldn't drastically reduce the lifespan of most processors. Add that to the fact that nearly all motherboards and processors have built-in voltage and temperature failsafe systems that turn off the PC before it gets damaged, and we can safely say that processors are one of the few things you can expect to work reliably and not break down before every other part.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone ever having to invoke warranty coverage for a failed processor. I wouldn't even know how you'd contact Intel/AMD for that.

Edit: It's perfectly alright to want new parts though.

Audioboxer

To expand on what Liljoka means, processors generally undergo very stringent quality control, it is extremely rare to get a defective processor or have one fail prematurely. It's actually pretty safe to buy a used processor, as long as it hasn't been physically damaged.

I fully expect most if not all processors to last longer than ten years, and although overclocking does put more stress than normal on processors, it shouldn't drastically reduce the lifespan of most processors. Add that to the fact that nearly all motherboards and processors have built-in voltage and temperature failsafe systems that turn off the PC before it gets damaged, and we can safely say that processors are one of the few things you can expect to work reliably and not break down before every other part.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone ever having to invoke warranty coverage for a failed processor. I wouldn't even know how you'd contact Intel/AMD for that.

Yeah, thanks. I totally appreciate what Liljoka said, and yourself, but I did have a quick look on ebay. Pushed my overall spend a little higher so I was okay going with the 4690k.

I do like tearing open new components as well. Love that new plastic smell :p

Temperature. Let's say I've built a rig with an i7 overclocked at, let's say... 4.6GHz. The H100i is going to be about 5-10 deg C lower temp than the H60. Now you could do the same thing with an H60, but you are going to have a higher temp which is going to negatively effect overall system performance.

You probably don't want your i7 to be running at 70 something degrees, so you get the H100. Unless of course the poster you are replying to meant there was literally no advantage to the H100, in which case they are wrong.

IMO, single fan width liquid cooling is not worth it. You can put a really nice single fan cooler right on your CPU. It will perform better and cost less than the liquid solution does. The only upside i can see to liquid in the single slot case is that it's more effective at venting the heat out of the case (which can be important, granted).

Once you go at least double-width, the advantages of liquid come into play- you can use a bigger radiator than is possible with on CPU air, have more surface area for heat transfer, and this let's you get higher performance for the same or less noise level.

Note "performance" in this context is just referring to heat transfer, not performance of the computer. The upside of better heat transfer is that you can run a given overclock at a lower temp.

I see thanks.

I think I'll go with one of the h100i's than.

The h100i gtx is superior to the h100i right? Curious because the gtx is cheaper than the baseline model on amazon.

LilJoka

Just a preference really, I don't doubt the failure rate is like 0.1%. Only thing I've ever had fail on me was a SSD.

Even second hand, a 3770K was still outside of my budget.

Flubit offered me £35.38 for the Kingston HyperX Savage 8GB (2x4GB) 2400MHz DDR3, so snapped that up as well.

Sorry I didn't mean it as advice for you in particular, more towards anyone with low or mid end sandy bridge systems. Good price on the RAM.

ILoveBish

I'm going to do a new build for skylake, and honestly my #1 concern is sound. I have a HTPC case and it is very loud, and only microatx. I would like to spend 60 or less on a case. Do i have many options? The one in the op has bad reviews.

Smokey

WTS - Geforce GTX Titan X

16858543775_ff70fa7428_c.jpg

16235602193_299e2c7289_c.jpg

Price: $825 (shipping included)

-Nvidia brand -- but still under warranty for 3 years

-Was used in a SLI configuration

-Have the box and contents

US only please. Paypal. I have +9 seller feedback and have sold a bunch of GPUs in this thread.

Thnx

Reduced to $825 shipping included.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Rerun the tests, with Afterburner closed this time and the drivers didn't crash, here are my results:

Sounds about right I think?
How is it possible that absoulutely nobody ran a Firestrike with a single 970? lol

I was thinking about switching to the OC mode offered by MSI... But it's just a 25mhz increase on the core, should I even bother?

I just got my EVGA 970 SSC and I get 10k to 10.5k in Fire Strike with my early testing of stock and OC speeds. Overclocking doesn't seem to make much of a difference in game, but I haven't had a chance to use it much yet.

i5-3570k @4.2Ghz

TronLight

I just got my EVGA 970 SSC and I get 10k to 10.5k in Fire Strike with my early testing of stock and OC speeds. Overclocking doesn't seem to make much of a difference in game, but I haven't had a chance to use it much yet.

i5-3570k @4.2Ghz

Combined score? My stock 2500 it's surely holding me back a bit in the physics department.

Combined score? My stock 2500 it's surely holding me back a bit in the physics department.

Combined, yes. I'm not at my pc now, but graphics was 13,000 something, while the other tests had framerates in the 20s.

Wait, I thought combined was your 9k score, but that is also the name of the graphics+physics test, heh.

TronLight

Combined, yes. I'm not at my pc now, but graphics was 13,000 something, while the other tests had framerates in the 20s.

Wait, I thought combined was your 9k score, but that is also the name of the graphics+physics test, heh.

Yeah messed up a bit there. lol
Graphic score is in the range anyway, that's what I was interested in ahah.

Yeah messed up a bit there. lol
Graphic score is in the range anyway, that's what I was interested in ahah.

I'm out of the loop. I've been using a 7850 for the past two years and it just plain worked, so I didn't do any testing. Overclocked it day one and forgot about it.

eosos

Banned
So here's the build that I'm thinking of doing....
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oUgZeL4hC7uVHrb_MRV6-U059Bua6APmHEf2mbAEAas/edit?usp=sharing

What do you guys think? Mainly going for a VR setup here. I'm torn between the 970 and the 980ti because I'm not sure if I'll be upgrading to the next generation of chips from nvidia. If I would go that route I'm sure that the 970 could work until then. I'm also not sure about the motherboard, but it seems fine. Any input would be appreciated though!

Cake Boss

Banned
Hey guys what do you think of this set up being sold used for $420 Canadian.

-FX 8150 Liquid cooler cpu
-R9 280x 3gb GDDR5 Asus Direct CU II
-16gb DDR3 Ram 1600mhz Corsair Venegance
-Corsair AX750w PSU
-Thermal Take Large Case
-Large Display fan controller.
-Windows 7 Pro SP1
-Asus 990FX Sabertooth Motherboard
-Crucial 240gb SSD
-Steel Series APEX Keyboard

I might pick it up. dude needs cash for back to school.

Saiyan-Rox

That system should get you a very, very good performance. Ethan Carter should run at max. with stable 60fps (I seem to remember that it has some kind of stuttering issue here and there, though). Titanfall should definitely be max. @60fps.
Two or three things to look out for:
1. Is your RAM running at dual channel mode? Check with for example CPU-Z
2. Is your CPU running @ the clock speed it's supposed to be running at (if it doesn't, it might be an issue with temperatures or with BIOS settings)? Check with an overlay, for example afterburner to see if all four cores run @ full speed all the time
3. Are you sure about the GPU? Again, just to make sure check with your Geforce driver tool to see if it's actually a GTX980.

If all this doesn't help, run a game and see what component is holding your performance back. Either CPU or GPU should be running @100% utilization.

I took some screenshots of CPU-Z and GPU-Z and some MSI afterburner info while playing games. I hope that helps with trying to figure whats wrong :(

hey thanks for the help :)

I took some screenshots I hope they can tell you what you need to know

GPU-Z Info: http://i.imgur.com/C1Tjt9G.png
CPU-Z Info for RAM: http://i.imgur.com/QOJP7X4.png
CPU-Z Info for CPU: http://i.imgur.com/mTVmp31.png
Borderlands Screen Shot with MSI Afterburner: http://i.imgur.com/wtWMSVP.png
Titanfall Screen Shot with MSI Afterburner: http://i.imgur.com/eZ2KI3M.png

Shot of CPU-Z and HWmonitor with Prime95 running: http://i.imgur.com/5zPu6J4.png

MSAA seems to be the major thing killing my RIG. if it's on high titanfall drops to 40FPS. Borderlands drops because of Phsyx. GTAV drops too and so does the witcher on High with hairworks off.

Snakeyes

Your Current Specs: N/A
Budget: Up to $2500, Canada.
Main Use: Gaming - 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) - 3, Video Editing - 3, Streaming games in HD - 4, 3D/Model work (and what program) - 2, NX, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) - 5.
Monitor Resolution: 4K, preferably. Will be you be buying a new monitor? Yes.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Ideally, I'd like to run modern games at console settings at 4K, everything else is gravy. The main games would be SFV, KI (60 FPS in both) and the new Mirror's Edge, but since the required specs are currently unknown, let's go with BF4 on medium or high at 60 FPS in 4k. Is that a good estimate? For non-gaming programs, good performance in Adobe Premiere Pro.
Looking to reuse any parts?: N/A
When will you build?: Would like to get it done by fall.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a gigabyte z77n-wifi in my bitfenix prodigy. I just bought a third drive to install (an SSD). But I seem to remember some issue with the SATA ports? I can't remember exactly what the problem was, and Google isn't helping right now.

Can anyone remember the issue?

Edit: hmm, it could have been my previous P8P67 motherboard, in which case I should be ok.

If my current HDD (not boot drive, just storage) is connected to the SATA 3 port, can I remove it and reconnect to SATA 2 and it'll still work fine? I'd want to connect the New SSD to SATA 3

LilJoka

I have a gigabyte z77n-wifi in my bitfenix prodigy. I just bought a third drive to install (an SSD). But I seem to remember some issue with the SATA ports? I can't remember exactly what the problem was, and Google isn't helping right now.

Can anyone remember the issue?

Only issue I remember is SATA 3 port degradation but it didn't effect Z77 boards iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom