• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricki42

Hi everyone, I need some help!!

I want to build a gaming pc next month. I built one 10 years ago and I havent touch a pc desktop since then. I read the OP and built 2 diffent rigs. My bugdet is $2000 and my goal is to play games at 1440p at 60 fps. Could you guys give me some recommendations and feedback regarding wich rig is better to achieve my goal and some ways to tweak and avoid overkill/overspend??(Do I need ddr4? water cooling, etc); Any help is appreciated!!!

*My monitor of choice will be the AcerXB270HU or the upcoming Asus PG279Q

Build 1
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FwhsQ7

Build 2
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GGLWvK

At this point and with this budget I'd say wait for Skylake and then maybe go for that.

mkenyon

Banned
Thank you for the reply. I am not unhappy with my H100i, I just figured it is pretty old and there might be something significantly better out. I have a great 4790k, 4.6Ghz/1.2v/70c, 4.9Ghz/1.30-1.32v/75-80c (benchmarks). I can go to 5.0Ghz but I have to ramp up the voltage to 1.34-1.35v and the temps stay around 85c (it is the summer). Unless I can get a 5-10c decrease (and a decrease in noise), it isn't worth the expense.

Separate question:
Does anyone here have any experience with the Asus Maximus VII Formula Z97 board? Obviously it is a good board, but any quirks or niggles from personal experience?
I assume you're buying it for the sake of aesthetics? The niggle is that it offers literally nothing over a less expensive board other than aesthetics. It's in the price range of boards that have legitimate features like PLX chips for multiplying PCI-E lanes, but without that major benefit. It's a great board if you're doing professional builds to get clicks and sponsors, but outside of that, it's a waste of cash. This is coming from someone who buys $400+ motherboards.

Your proc is topping out that high because of a heatwall. At 4.9Ghz, you're likely at the silicon limit, and maybe could push it a smidge further if you delidded the proc and put it under a proper custom loop.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thank you for the reply. I am not unhappy with my H100i, I just figured it is pretty old and there might be something significantly better out. I have a great 4790k, 4.6Ghz/1.2v/70c, 4.9Ghz/1.30-1.32v/75-80c (benchmarks). I can go to 5.0Ghz but I have to ramp up the voltage to 1.34-1.35v and the temps stay around 85c (it is the summer). Unless I can get a 5-10c decrease (and a decrease in noise), it isn't worth the expense.

Separate question:
Does anyone here have any experience with the Asus Maximus VII Formula Z97 board? Obviously it is a good board, but any quirks or niggles from personal experience?
Delid or don't do anything. Not worth cost for almost zero return.
I just read the first skylake motherboards and CPU s will be released in August. What advantages does it have?
Tiny bit faster, new motherboards with DDR4. Non-dead socket is the main point.

paskowitz

I assume you're buying it for the sake of aesthetics? The niggle is that it offers literally nothing over a less expensive board other than aesthetics. It's in the price range of boards that have legitimate features like PLX chips for multiplying PCI-E lanes, but without that major benefit. It's a great board if you're doing professional builds to get clicks and sponsors, but outside of that, it's a waste of cash. This is coming from someone who buys $400+ motherboards.

Your proc is topping out that high because of a heatwall. At 4.9Ghz, you're likely at the silicon limit, and maybe could push it a smidge further if you delidded the proc and put it under a proper custom loop.

Delid or don't do anything. Not worth cost for almost zero return.
Tiny bit faster, new motherboards with DDR4. Non-dead socket is the main point.

Thanks for the replies. Again, I was just curious. About the only games I see a performance increase in (4.6 vs 4.9) are pCARS and ACU and even there it is marginal.

My ASRock (Z87 Extreme4) has died on me twice now and my patience is finished with their tech support. I found a used VII Formula for $200 w/warranty, (~-$50 for the ASRock) so at that price I figured it would be a decent buy. I also have a spare M.2 drive I wanted to use. Also, I plan on vinyl wrapping the "armor" for a carbon, silver, red build. That was my logic for that particular board.

For the foreseeable future I will be staying with my 4790K and a single Hybrid 980 ti. Both will be overclocked (AIO on each). I may add another card, but it probably makes more sense to do a new build when Cannonlake and Pascal are both on the market (2017ish). I don't have a 4K monitor or TV and probably won't until around that time anyway.

Given this, is there another motherboard you would recommend? Again, ~$200 is my limit, my CPU/GPU situation is not going to change and it can't be brightly colored in areas that cannot be safely covered (paint, vinyl, etc).

Also, how on earth do you get a company to sponsor a build?

Mystic654

I keep going back and fourth on what harddrive to buy for my new PC. It's between Western Digital Green or Red (6TB version). I'm planning to buy two or three of them. I have no plans to put the drives in a Raid, people I talked to say grab Red's even if you have no plans to use them as a Raid since they run cooler and have more reliability to them.

I keep hearing about Head Parking issues is this still any issue on Green or even Red Drives?

In conclusion what drive does everyone suggest getting?

RGM79

I just read the first skylake motherboards and CPU s will be released in August. What advantages does it have?

As was mentioned, performance is only slightly improved. The most important changes are that it'll be coming with a new processor socket (incompatible with old CPUs and will receive new processors due to be developed and launched in the future), DDR4 RAM compatibility (also for the sake of progress and incompatible with DDR3), and new connectivity (USB type C, USB 3.1, thunderbolt, etc).

To put it short, it's more about staying a little more futureproof if you can wait for Skylake. They're adopting a bunch of new tech to roll into the Z170 motherboards that Skylake will be paired up with.

Also, Z170 motherboards are going to be stylish as hell with updated physical looks and color schemes compared to the stuff we've seen for Z87 and Z97.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/m...atforms-ddr4-3400-usb-type-c-ultra-m-2-satae/
http://www.maximumpc.com/msi-shows-off-black-and-white-z170-krait-motherboard-for-skylake-cpus/
http://www.maximumpc.com/gigabyte-teases-upcoming-z170-chipset-motherboards/
http://wccftech.com/msi-unveils-z17...-rgb-leds-illuminated-pcb-165-million-colors/

As was mentioned, performance is only slightly improved. The most important changes are that it'll be coming with a new processor socket (incompatible with old CPUs and will receive new processors due to be developed and launched in the future), DDR4 RAM compatibility (also for the sake of progress and incompatible with DDR3), and new connectivity (USB type C, USB 3.1, thunderbolt, etc).

To put it short, it's more about staying a little more futureproof if you can wait for Skylake. They're adopting a bunch of new tech to roll into the Z170 motherboards that Skylake will be paired up with.

Also, Z170 motherboards are going to be stylish as hell with updated physical looks and color schemes compared to the stuff we've seen for Z87 and Z97.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/m...atforms-ddr4-3400-usb-type-c-ultra-m-2-satae/
http://www.maximumpc.com/msi-shows-off-black-and-white-z170-krait-motherboard-for-skylake-cpus/
http://www.maximumpc.com/gigabyte-teases-upcoming-z170-chipset-motherboards/
http://wccftech.com/msi-unveils-z17...-rgb-leds-illuminated-pcb-165-million-colors/
Thank so much for the info and advice! Wow these motherboards look awesome. Better off wait since we are almost in August. Will the compatible Intel cpus be released at the same time?

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for the replies. Again, I was just curious. About the only games I see a performance increase in (4.6 vs 4.9) are pCARS and ACU and even there it is marginal.

My ASRock (Z87 Extreme4) has died on me twice now and my patience is finished with their tech support. I found a used VII Formula for $200 w/warranty, (~-$50 for the ASRock) so at that price I figured it would be a decent buy. I also have a spare M.2 drive I wanted to use. Also, I plan on vinyl wrapping the "armor" for a carbon, silver, red build. That was my logic for that particular board.

For the foreseeable future I will be staying with my 4790K and a single Hybrid 980 ti. Both will be overclocked (AIO on each). I may add another card, but it probably makes more sense to do a new build when Cannonlake and Pascal are both on the market (2017ish). I don't have a 4K monitor or TV and probably won't until around that time anyway.

Given this, is there another motherboard you would recommend? Again, ~$200 is my limit, my CPU/GPU situation is not going to change and it can't be brightly colored in areas that cannot be safely covered (paint, vinyl, etc).

Also, how on earth do you get a company to sponsor a build?
I'd say since you do appreciate the aesthetics of the board, $200 is not outrageous.

You could always wait and sell the 4790K for a pretty penny and just build on Skylake, which will be out within 1-2 months.

My thing is that while distilled is baby easy to clean after, you also have a ridiculously short six month turnover rate, and I want to avoid having to do maintenance too often. After all, the Mayhems Pastel seies supposedly gets two years of operation before draining.

Also, I've been doing some research, and I have to ask as a counterpoint how many of those people who ended up with gunk added something to their coolant, such as additional biocide. Ì mean, the manufacturers tell us about not doing that for a reason, right? But I digress.

And I was looking more for some actual numeric correlation between thickness and needed length to cool, unless this is a volume-related calculation.

Sorry, I meant to elaborate on that but I fell asleep mid post and decided to just ship it as is. Honestly, there are too many factors to consider with radiators, in my personal opinon. You have to account for water flow speed, heat load, and radiator/fan strength. Doubling your thickness might double your cooling, but you'd need stronger louder fans. Similarly, increasing Fins per Inch in the radiator has the same need. The total amount of blocks and orientation, whether or not the radiator is a cross-path or two-lane flow, etc can affect the overall cooling. I'm sure you could figure it out, but it requires a bit more math than I'm willing to do. Especially since it's all thermodynamics. (Ugh) I'm sure someone out there does all the calculations, but I like to make my life a little easier. Which is code for, I'm lazy.

I have no idea how experienced you are, so it's hard to write a post. I'll just tell you my "easy" way of selecting a radiator. First, I find the total Thermal Design Power of all the elements I'm cooling (CPU and GPU usually). You can usually just google each part and find it. I take that with some idea of what I want the average temperature, or Delta-T, of my system to be.

After I have my TPD, ideal Delta-T, I cross reference those two to SkineeLabs graphs to find the right radiator + fan combo for the job. Taking into account the area I have to place everything within my case.

Finding the TDP and accounting for overclocking is a bit more... fun.
The formula is use for that is...

OC Wattage = TDP * ( OC MHz / Stock MHz) * ( OC Vcore / Stock Vcore )^2

If you absolutely need a calculation, it's going to be a surface area calculation. You could guesstimate that by finding the volume of the radiator and multiplying it by the FPI of the radiator. It's not really accurate, but for comparing between radiator effectiveness it will work. With this shoddy formula I've pulled out of my ass ( L*W*H ) * (FPI), then doubling thickness while maintaining the FPI would double the effectiveness. But it would require fans that are stronger and, by extension, louder.

Sorry if I rambled and didn't really answer anything. xD

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I installed my MSI 4G 970. Seems to work fine in games (tried MGS Ground Zeroes and Metro Last Light).
But the drivers keep crashing in the first graphic benchmark in 3D Mark (Firestrike).

The strangest thing is that I can get through the demo portion with the two guys fighting just fine (save for the 25 fps average), but 20 seconds in the first test, the driver crashes. Any idea?

Edit: Strange, HWMonitor is reporting 540mhz as the highest clock speed the GPU reaches.
Edit 2: MSI Afterburner is giving the right reading (1329Mhz in Ground Zeroes), must be a HWM bug lol.

RGM79

Thank so much for the info and advice! Wow these motherboards look awesome. Better off wait since we are almost in August. Will the compatible Intel cpus be released at the same time?

Yes, Skylake will be launching with Z170. Each processor socket usually receives a couple of processor lines. Socket 1150 received Haswell, Haswell Refresh, Devil's Canyon, and Broadwell processors. Haswell and Haswell Refresh were the two larger product lines, while Devil's Canyon and Broadwell were smaller releases. We can maybe expect something similar for the new socket 1151 being introduced along with Skylake. Going what we know from codenames and leaked details and roadmaps, socket 1151 will have Skylake processors at launch and Kaby Lake processors the year after. Anything else is still up in the air.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I keep going back and fourth on what harddrive to buy for my new PC. It's between Western Digital Green or Red (6TB version). I'm planning to buy two or three of them. I have no plans to put the drives in a Raid, people I talked to say grab Red's even if you have no plans to use them as a Raid since they run cooler and have more reliability to them.

I keep hearing about Head Parking issues is this still any issue on Green or even Red Drives?

In conclusion what drive does everyone suggest getting?
Everything you need to know is here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Western-Digital-Green-vs-Red-Hard-Drives-602/
Basically get a RED and decide whether to turn TLER off or not.

Ensirius

Hello everyone!

I just got a Samsung Evo 850 500gb today to replace my 120gb Evo 840.
My concern is wether I should wait for Windows 10 to update my rig and then completely format my pc and install the new SSD with Windows 10, or, do it right now, format everything, and get my rig ready for Windows 10...

I want a clean install for Windows 10 anyway...

LordAlu

Hello everyone!

I just got a Samsung Evo 850 500gb today to replace my 120gb Evo 840.
My concern is wether I should wait for Windows 10 to update my rig and then completely format my pc and install the new SSD with Windows 10, or, do it right now, format everything, and get my rig ready for Windows 10...

I want a clean install for Windows 10 anyway...
You may as well wait until Windows 10 comes out and install the drive then.

I received my EVGA 970 SSC today and it seems nice. I haven't messed with it too much, but Witcher 3 runs like crazy now (all ultra minus shadows plus hairworks is on), mostly at 60fps, with a little drop with 5 wolves on screen.

It did expose how weak my cooling is on this old mid tower case. The GPU seems to stay on the cooler side, but the case temp shoots up. I ordered a pair of 120mm fans, and I think I'll also get a new 80mm one for the front intake. One thing leads to another with damn pc upgrades...

Barrykins

Neo Member
My main question is what will I need to upgrade next? It's my first PC and I think I did fairly decent but I'm not sure what parts fade out the quickest and what needs to be replaced first. Any advice?

Your Current Specs:
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
PNY GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Rosewill Hive 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Budget: I'll save up for the parts so not important.

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Light Gaming 5, Gaming 5, Emulation (PS2/Wii) 1, Video Editing 1, Streaming games in HD 3, 3D/Model work (and what program) 1, General Usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback) 1. Mainly just gaming.

Monitor Resolution:I'm just using a TV that goes up to 1080. I'll eventually need to get a monitor.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 30FPS at the min. I play a little of everything. Pretty vague but I'll go from the Witcher to Dota to Halflife to Dota 2. Since this is my first PC I'm playing more older games that I missed out on at the moment though.

ricki42

My main question is what will I need to upgrade next? It's my first PC and I think I did fairly decent but I'm not sure what parts fade out the quickest and what needs to be replaced first. Any advice?

You don't really need to upgrade anything if you still get the performance you want. But if you want to upgrade, I'd say get a new GPU. Also, as you say, you could get a monitor. Maybe look into 970 + g-sync monitor.
Overclock the CPU if you haven't.

Alright, due to nonsense, I have two SSDs: A Samsung 840 EVO 250GB(I can't return it) and a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. One will be my OS drive, while the second my games drive.

Which one should be which?

Barrykins

Neo Member
You don't really need to upgrade anything if you still get the performance you want. But if you want to upgrade, I'd say get a new GPU. Also, as you say, you could get a monitor. Maybe look into 970 + g-sync monitor.
Overclock the CPU if you haven't.

Yeah I have the CPU overclocked. Cool that's what I was thinking. I'm not so sure I need a 970 or 980 right now so I'll probably go for the monitor.

How often does your CPU need to be replaced?

It's a surface area / fan pressure issue. Cooling effectiveness is basically related to total fin surface area. If you're cooling with a fan though, it gets much more complicated. Longer/denser hestsink fins mean you need more fan power to drive the same CFM.

Practically this means a double wide radiator is significantly better than a double thick one (assuming you care about noise).

IMO, if you're not going to go double wide, its probably better to stick with heat pipe coolers. You'll get better performance for a given cost and noise level.

No, I can go double-wide, since the Enthoo Primo has PLENTY of room. My thing is more along the lines of figuring out how much radiator I need to buy for a whole system. Primarily, this is due to a) wanting to avoid putting a radiator above the reservoir (if possible, and if it'll work out better than a large radiator above) and b) cooling more than just the CPU.

As for fans, price isn't an issue, and I plan on making sure everything is push/pull, so it won't be as much of a problem as doing a push or pull config, but I don't know how much.

RGM79

Yeah I have the CPU overclocked. Cool that's what I was thinking. I'm not so sure I need a 970 or 980 right now so I'll probably go for the monitor.

How often does your CPU need to be replaced?

Not for a long time. Until it dies or you aren't getting the performance you want even with a high overclock.

Alright, due to nonsense, I have two SSDs: A Samsung 840 EVO 250GB(I can't return it) and a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB. One will be my OS drive, while the second my games drive.

It's up to you. If you have a lot of games, keep the 500GB drive for the games. Just make sure you apply Samsung's latest fix for the 840 Evo performance bug.

Audioboxer

Flubit gave me an offer of £82.89 for the Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H motherboard which seems like a good deal!

As expected the processors get like 3% off :p 4690K is £162.02, and 4460 is £135.17. Probably go for the 4690k given it being a little more future proof. I don't often update my PC.

Settling with 8GB of RAM, I really don't need more. Waiting to see what I can get for HyperX Savage 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 1866 MHz DDR3 CL9.

RGM79

Flubit gave me an offer of £82.89 for the Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H motherboard which seems like a good deal!

As expected the processors get like 3% off :p 4690K is £162.02, and 4460 is £135.17. Probably go for the 4690k given it being a little more future proof. I don't often update my PC.

Settling with 8GB of RAM, I really don't need more. Waiting to see what I can get for HyperX Savage 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 1866 MHz DDR3 CL9.

You're in the UK? I think these motherboards are a better deal for around the same price. The GA-Z97-D3H is a lower end model than either link.

https://skinflint.co.uk/gigabyte-g1-sniper-z97-a1107852.html?hloc=uk
https://skinflint.co.uk/gigabyte-ga-z97x-sli-a1107954.html?hloc=uk

Audioboxer

You're in the UK? I think these motherboards are a better deal for around the same price. The GA-Z97-D3H is a lower end model than either link.

https://skinflint.co.uk/gigabyte-g1-sniper-z97-a1107852.html?hloc=uk
https://skinflint.co.uk/gigabyte-ga-z97x-sli-a1107954.html?hloc=uk

I read the SLI one isn't the best for overclocking, and I won't be running 2 GPUs anyway. I'll do some reading on the Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97. Another contender I came across is the MSI Z97 Gaming 5.

MrDaravon

Complete and utter newbie here looking for advice/direction (most of the talk in this thread is like a foreign language to me).

We do very little PC gaming, I play Diablo 3 and the wife plays Minecraft. Would like to be able to run things a bit more intensive but nothing crazy, just looking to maybe play things like Legend of Grimrock, Ys, Divinity Original Sin etc. Stuff doesn't have to look amazing, as long as it runs well (to be honest we mostly play games on console). Currently just have a super old desktop that she plays Minecraft on that runs poorly, then I had an old ASUS G50V laptop which ran Diablo 3 fine which is all I cared about, but the videocard has died on it finally. We've been wanting to build a PC for while but have been lazy about it plus I have an irrational fear of building a PC since I'm afraid I'll get incompatible parts or mess something up. I actually took that laptop apart a while ago and redid the thermal paste on the heatsinks which a friend tells me is as hard or harder than anything I'd do actually putting a PC together so figure I will try to give this a go.

The laptop dying was unexpected so not much of a budget. Long-term I want to build a better one, but short-term looking for a cheap one I can put together which can then be the secondary PC for Minecraft or whatever later. I know very little about any of this, so I tried to replicate Hazaro's budget build using the site to get a feel for things, there's some things I wasn't sure or clear about though.

First the build is here (I copied Hazaro's as well as I could): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JV3zLk

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($64.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($70.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 265 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Silverstone PS08B (Black) MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $434.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-17 18:03 EDT-0400

Questions:

Motherboard: I wanted to go with the ASRock H97M, but on partpicker the listing for just "ASRock H97M" has no reviews which strikes me as odd, and then I also see listings for H97M PRO4, ITX/AC and Anniversary two of which have a ton of ratings so I wasn't sure which one I should be looking at?

RAM: The guide says to avoid picking RAM with tall fins, but how would I tell that? I went with the RAM that had the most high ratings while meeting the 1866/1.5 requirements, there seems to be a ton of different options all within a very small price range so I'm not sure how much of a difference this even makes?

Graphics: No idea if brand matters here? Picked the card with the highest rating under R7 265 2GB, they were all about the same price.

Expansion Cards/Networking: If I'm looking at the motherboard correctly it has 1 ethernet port on it correct? So if I only need one ethernet port I would only need to get a wireless network adapter if I wanted to go wireless on the PC correct?

Assuming my parts are good I'm still open to any suggestions, or if anyone can vouch for this machine being able to run something like Diablo 3, Minecraft, Divinity, Street Fighter 4 (and 5, but don't know that we know enough about that one yet to make an educated guess spec-wise?) etc. Off the top of my head Divinity is probably the most intensive thing I'd run on it; more power/options are obviously great, but I'm not looking or wanting to max out Crisis or Skyrim with mods etc. Already have a monitor and legit copy of Windows 7 etc.

Saiyan-Rox

guys any idea what kind i;d be looking at performance wise with this build? ( I have this build already but dont think it's doing very well but it could just be my incompetence)

Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77-DS3H Motherboard
Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU (Overclocked to 4.2Ghz)
GTX 980 Reference Design GPU
OCZ OCZ600MXSP-UK ModXStream Pro 600W ATX Power Supply
Samsung F3 HD103SJ 1TB internal Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache 7200RPM
Corsair TW3X4G1333C9A XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 Memory
Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP
(Yes I mixed RAM not sure if that's an issue)
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive
All cooled by 3 Sp120 performance and 3 SP120 Quiets with a Kraken x41 on the CPU

I can't seem to get games to run in high very well and i'm not sure what the issue is? Titanfall won't play stable on Max, Borderlands 2 with Physx on constantly drops frames to the 40-30s and GTA won't play smooth either (I know open world and all that) just wondering if such performance is normal? even the vanishing of ethan carter I had to turn down. geoforce keeps telling me games should be higher than what I have them set as but doing that makes them worse.

Any idea if this is normal for my build and what to improve?? was considering more RAM since my RAM sticks are clocked at 2 different speeds (I know it defaults to the lowest) but would that help my build any? i'm still learning PC building so go easy on me xD

Error1355

I'm going to get a i7-4790K but not sure what mobo that I should shoot for. I had someone recommend that I get an MSI Z97-G45. Is there anything better or that I should be aware with this?

Audioboxer

It's crazy how many motherboards are out there... :|

Think I'm now between

MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 5
ASRock Z97 Extreme 4

How much more overclockability would would a dual rad AIO cooler like the corsair H100i give over a single rad one like the H60? For a i5-4670K for reference.

I'm paranoid about a drop of sweat that fell on my motherboard. Every little hiccup that my computer experiences, I immediately think of the worst.

Good thanks, but then why is a h100 so popular if it takes more room?

Temperature. Let's say I've built a rig with an i7 overclocked at, let's say... 4.6GHz. The H100i is going to be about 5-10 deg C lower temp than the H60. Now you could do the same thing with an H60, but you are going to have a higher temp which is going to negatively effect overall system performance.

You probably don't want your i7 to be running at 70 something degrees, so you get the H100. Unless of course the poster you are replying to meant there was literally no advantage to the H100, in which case they are wrong.

Good thanks, but then why is a h100 so popular if it takes more room?

IMO, single fan width liquid cooling is not worth it. You can put a really nice single fan cooler right on your CPU. It will perform better and cost less than the liquid solution does. The only upside i can see to liquid in the single slot case is that it's more effective at venting the heat out of the case (which can be important, granted).

Once you go at least double-width, the advantages of liquid come into play- you can use a bigger radiator than is possible with on CPU air, have more surface area for heat transfer, and this let's you get higher performance for the same or less noise level.

Note "performance" in this context is just referring to heat transfer, not performance of the computer. The upside of better heat transfer is that you can run a given overclock at a lower temp.

Kronotech

Guys, almost done gathering my pieces to build. Two questions.

How do you know what wattage power supply is needed? Was originally planning on a 750w but now I don't know if I need that much. How much can I get away with?

Currently building:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Ram: G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400
HDD: 500GB
SDD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO

Also, since my CPU comes with a heatsink, why is an additional cooler necessary? Is it? I'm dumb.

Jimrpg

How do you know what wattage power supply is needed? Was originally planning on a 750w but now I don't know if I need that much. How much can I get away with?

Currently building:

Also, since my CPU comes with a heatsink, why is an additional cooler necessary? Is it? I'm dumb.

I got pretty much the same as you do, but I got a 550W gold. 550W is perfectly fine for the build, but the recommended specs for a 980 Ti is 600W and in hindsight I should have just stumped up the $10-20 dollars to do that. I could run the 980 Ti on 550W but I'd be running things a bit tight.

To calculate how much wattage you need you have to sum up how much wattage each part needs. PCpartpicker helps in this regard when picking a PC on their site.

The stock CPU cooler is tiny compared to the CM 212 Evo. Bigger heat sink, more surface area for cooling, cooler CPU, allows you to overclock more. You wouldn't get much overclock with your stock cooler before the temps run too high.

knitoe

Currently building:

500W should be fine. Personally, I go more since PSU are most efficient and quiet at around 50% load. 750W PSU would be great

Stock coolers are loud and temps are usually high. Thus, they barely offer any overclocking. The 212 offers much better cooling and way less noise. It's price / performance offers good overclocking ability.

If you're spending the money to get an unlocked CPU (which you are based on that build list), it's worth it to drop at least $30 on a cooler so that you can overclock the CPU a decent amount without it getting too hot. The stock heatsink is fine for base clock.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Smaller one for OS. 250GB is a nice size to have OS and apps on, and space for docs/music/photos.

Also - not nonsense. I have a 250GB SSD for my OS and a 1TB HDD for games. I just bought a 1TB SSD Ithe prime sale and am looking forward to shorter loading times, quieter running etc. HDD will be just for media and backups

Arex

My windows 8.1 boot seems to slow down a bit after login when my external hard drives are connected.
Is there any fix for that besides plugging them off when boot up? Do the usb ports they're connected to also matter?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you get little vacuum cleaners in the UK? Also, can you buy filters? Just opened my prodigy to look at installing my new SSD (no data cables, thanks samsung) and the insides were fairly dusty. My rear radiator has dust on inside which I'd like to vac off, and the surfaces are lightly covered - from the direction it looks like dust is getting in from the top panel which has a mesh but isn't stopping dust. So I was wondering if you can buy a better filter material that can fit to the underside of the removable top panel on the prodigy to reduce that ingress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom