• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2015 Part 1. Read the OP and RISE ABOVE FORGED PRECISION SCIENCE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rolfgang

Using a mechanical keyboard for the first time. I went with a Logitech G170+ and FFS, I can not get used to this thing.

Maybe it's because I'm just so used to using my old keyboard, but these keys feel really small and I find myself accidentally hitting multiple keys at the same time. Especially when I reach for the numbers. I can normally hit any number without looking but now when I reach for 3, I hit 123213.

Also, because this keyboard is so thick, my thumbs rest at the corner of the space bar whereas on my old keyboard they rested on the top. So pressing the spacebar on this thing after typing for a while starts to hurt like a bitch. I actually had to wedge something under the wrist rest to elevate it so so that my fingers rest on top of the spacebar again.

That said, I do really enjoy the feel of mechanical keys. This board uses browns, and they felt like the best compromise between feel and noise. I don't like blues. They're just too loud and I can imagine my wife complaining about that.

I know I'm going to be stuck with whatever I buy for years and for $100, I had better be in love with it. So I may end up returning this and trying something else...

/rant

I have the Corsair K70 RGB with browns (I also find them to be the perfect balance of noise and feedback) and I absolutely love that keyboard. I find the size to be perfect (I guess it's considered a regular sized keyboard) and the added wristpad also feels nice and relieves the pain I used to get after long sessions behind the keyboard. You might want to try it out, if possible (the non-RGB K70 is exactly the same, but cheaper and only comes in red lightning).

LilJoka

Übersandvich;173049953 said:
This looks brilliant. I will be avoiding Amazon due to their tax avoidance, so I will go for alternative vendors even if I have to pay a little bit more.

Thanks for the swift reply.

As RGM mentioned, check out the Define Mini case, you could also go for a slightly higher quality PSU.

I just built a PC for a mate with this board and ssd and I couldn't believe the boot times, it was insane, around 8 seconds from button push into windows 7.

Soonri

Looks decent if you're not planning to overclock. I will probably come back later with more definite suggestions, as I'll be busy for the next couple of hours.

In the meantime, there are "first time building?" questions located in the first post of this thread. You can copy the text and fill out answers and post them back here so we have a better understanding of your situation and what you want to do with your budget and PC.
Ok then:

Your Current Specs: Midrange laptop

Budget: $1000 USD

Main Use: Gaming, streaming, general use, movies.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Most games at 60fps and 1080p.

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Would like to be able to build before the end of the year.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, but not for at least a year.

OraleeWey

I have the Corsair K70 RGB with browns (I also find them to be the perfect balance of noise and feedback) and I absolutely love that keyboard. I find the size to be perfect (I guess it's considered a regular sized keyboard) and the added wristpad also feels nice and relieves the pain I used to get after long sessions behind the keyboard. You might want to try it out, if possible (the non-RGB K70 is exactly the same, but cheaper and only comes in red lightning).

You said "browns", what about cherry mx?

drotahorror

Just had a 2nd Logitech G502 mouse crap out on me in less than a year. Doesn't work on any device.

Started with this crap - https://www.google.com/search?q=g502+usb+device+not+recognized&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Now this - https://www.google.com/search?q=g502+doesn't+power&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Then just stopped getting power all together. I've never had any issues with any mice or any logitech products (I'm sort of a logitech fanboy). I think I'm done with the g502 though. Hopefully I can RMA it and get a new one back and either keep it for spare or sell it.

****Update on this - http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Mice/G502-Keeps-dying/m-p/1424558#M38033

The logitech rep said "Based on your description, we can safely say that this is already a hardware issue with your G502 PROTEUS CORE Tunable Gaming Mouse."

Told me to get in contact with someone about the warranty. Will do. I even gave him a Kudos, I'm a sucker for customer service reps and always try to give them props when they ask.

RGM79

It doesn't, but I just built a similar rig for a mate and it's quiet enough with the fans at 7v, it has a fan controller switch on the front. Define mini fits in budget I guess it's a good option too.
Oh cool, that's fine. Wasn't second guessing your recommendations.

kris.

Banned
Just picked up a Logitech G710+ on a whim, first mechanical keyboard. Been using a Razer Deathstalker and I can't stand it. Fucking squishy keys. Hopefully this'll be a nice little upgrade.

edit: Oh god yep. This is fantastic.

SLX

Banned
Well I think I have new problem. In CS:GO when I turn up all the settings to Ultra I'm noticing some sort of microstutter or ms delay in input. It's almost like a split second hangup then resumes gaemplay. I'm playing under ULMB mode. Any ideas, think it might have to do with my OC?

I just don't know how it could be microstutter since I only have a single card (MSI GTX980ti 6GB OC).

Forgot to add, by reducing all the video settings from the highest to the lowest possible...the issue seems to disappear. So maybe it might be the game itself.

Yes, now just set the multiplier to 44. The reason why load temps have reduces is that the Vcore under load is now 1.20v not 1.27v as its only pushing 4.2Ghz not 4.4Ghz due to Core Enhancement being disabled. THe baord just is pushing too much Vcore on AUTO voltage.
Watch the Vcore in HWinfo or CPUz. Use programs like Aida64, Realbench to test the stability of the CPU. The usual Vcore for this type of OC is about 1.15v-1.20v.

I can see from your HWinfo that max VID was 1.27v, so likely youll need a negative CPU VCore offset to achieve 1.20v. Or your chip is not so great.
I'll have to google around how to do the CPU VCore offset unless you know of a resource off the top of your head.

Fingers crossed the chip doesn't suck.

I've heard that keyboard is pretty good.... it's just so expensive. Microcenter had a butt-ton of them too, just none with browns :(

TheMan

strongly considering building a rig for the first time (wife has all but given the green light as she wants to use it for media), but this is overwhelming. Haz's guide looks good but I feel uneasy laying out so much money without doing some investigating myself. Things have sure changed since the days of geforce 3 (remember when videocard nomenclature was straightforward?).

Skii

Hi there, fellow UK Gaffer!

I've recently built my first PC, for similar reasons as you, and I can't recommend it and this thread enough.

I hear you with your complaints about UK pricing in comparison to the U.S., but I feel building a PC on our small isle is still better value for money than investing in a console and the necessary subscription fees. Plus it's a full computer!

For your budget, you should be able to hit the IQ you desire. My build cost around £700 and I can run Witcher 3 on high with framerates in the 50s-60s, so you might be able to spend even less than you think. I'll let a more experienced member spec you a build though.

Welcome to the party :)

Thanks for the welcome! I'm still deciding if PC gaming is the best thing for me at the moment being a uni student lol. I know that I will get one eventually but the need to play games at a decent frame rate with good optimisation is pushing me into building a PC asap!

The Witcher 3 on Ultra all maxed out on 1440p is not possible with a nvidia gtx 980 (this is already £420), according to some benchmarks on Tom's hardware you will require a gtx 980 TI to get an average of 60 fps with everything maxed out.

A GTX 980 TI with good cooling and OC ability is £540 minimum. With a budget of a £1000, this only leaves you with £460 to get everything else, and if you want an SSD and an i7, well the budget is no longer tenable.

Unfortunately pc parts in the UK are unbelievably expensive, and a budget of £1500 or near there will be needed, particularly if you are going to wait for intel's new skylake cpus, which although i'm sure will be quicker, will also be really pricey as well.

summary: wait for skylake, save more money if you want 1440p gaming.

Yeah, the prices in the UK just seem atrocious. This has always pushed me away from getting a PC as most people can pick up a PS4 at £250 whilst getting a similarly specced PC would cost undoubtedly more.

I think you could put together a PC build with a 980ti for about £1000-1200, but not including the monitor. if you're set on 1440p then you may need to compromise on the GPU. Also the GTX980 is in no mans land in terms of value for money - 970 or 980ti are better options. Personally I'd recommend a few options
1) settle for 1080p and build something around a GTX970. Easily doable including a nice monitor for your budget.
2) go for the 980ti build but don't buy a 1440p monitor yet - save up and buy later
3) GTX970 and 1440p monitor. Benefit of higher resolution and possibly gsync so you can run at lower FPS and still be smooth. Then consider a GPU upgrade when pascal comes around next year

I don't mind spending big on the graphics card and the CPU as they'll be the main staples of my computer for the next 5 years I hope before I need to upgrade. I would happily go for a 1080p monitor for now and then proceed to get a 1440p G-sync monitor when I have the money. Same goes for a good mouse/keyboard. Will happily play with a controller until have the money to upgrade. I just want the PC itself sorted for roughly £1200.

Is pascal likely to revolutionise GPUs? Any interesting reads on it?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just picked up a Logitech G710+ on a whim, first mechanical keyboard. Been using a Razer Deathstalker and I can't stand it. Fucking squishy keys. Hopefully this'll be a nice little upgrade.

edit: Oh god yep. This is fantastic.
The G710 is squisher than most mechs because it has dampeners too :p

kris.

Banned
The G710 is squisher than most mechs because it has dampeners too :p

Yeah, taking those O-rings out seems like a nice idea. Might have to do that when I have time and patience. But so far this is already way better than the Deathstalker just for the backlight alone.

TheMan

couple of questions:

1. Am i missing something, or is it really not that much cheaper to build a pc if you buy a rig from newegg?

2. Is ibuypower reputable?

Yeah, taking those O-rings out seems like a nice idea. Might have to do that when I have time and patience. But so far this is already way better than the Deathstalker just for the backlight alone.

I have it and I'm just not sure how bit of a fan I am typing on it. I also switched from a boring old membrane keyboard so all the flashy LEDs are completely unnecessary for me.

I had to pull the spacebar off and flip it around so that my fingers wouldn't mash into the corner. The LED doesn't light up the little icon anymore, but I don't care. No more hurt thumbs :)

couple of questions:

1. Am i missing something, or is it really not that much cheaper to build a pc if you buy a rig from newegg?

2. Is ibuypower reputable?

Of course it's cheaper to build your own rig. You're not paying someone else the labor costs of putting it together for you and troubleshooting any issues during the build process. You have ultimate control over each individual part that goes into your system and you can also hunt down sales for an even lower overall cost.

ibuypower is one of the more popular suppliers of pre-built rigs though. I'd imagine they're pretty reputable.

SRG01

I'll have to google around how to do the CPU VCore offset unless you know of a resource off the top of your head.

Fingers crossed the chip doesn't suck.

Under CPU Core/Ring/GT Voltage Mode in the BIOS, hit enter and change that to Offset mode :) Under that you should be able to change that to a negative offset.

edit: Operative word "should". I lost that functionality when I updated my bios but it should still be there for yours since Z97 is a bit higher up than a H97.

I need some help... Last time I built a PC was in 2003! (I believe Radeon 9800 was my video card at the time)... I've been on macbooks ever since, but now i've got the itch!!!!

I'm in Vancouver... looking to spend around $1500CDN for the case and everything in it.

Here's my current 'I have no idea what i'm doing' build:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/hgrzLk

i'm sure I can improve basically everything! I probably won't pull the trigger on buying anything for a while until I actually get my head around the latest trends.

Questions-

Is it known if right now is a 'good time' to build or should I wait for the fall?

I want to future proof for VR. Would it be enough to buy a 2nd card for SLI in the future?

Is an i7 worth it? Will VR take advantage of it?

Best silent, windowless case? I heard good things about Fractal Design.

Rolfgang

I've heard that keyboard is pretty good.... it's just so expensive. Microcenter had a butt-ton of them too, just none with browns :(

Yeah, it's quite expensive. The version with Cherry MX Brown is still available online, in the stores it's mostly Reds. The K70 is sturdy as hell tough (it's made of aluminum), so you'll probably be set for a lot of years.

Pjsprojects

Looking for a new motherboard, AM3+ 125w for a FX8350 black cpu.

What's my best option without spending more than £140. Currently looking at the 990 Sabretooth which is pretty much at the top end of my price range.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Problem is, that's already over budget and there's no 1440p monitor in there - going for a 1440p setup including the monitor is a bit too much for £1200. We'll see what Skylake is like cost/performance wise in a few weeks and work from there but it will certainly be a stretch.

If you budget around £700 for the GPU/monitor combo, can you soec the rest of the PC for £500? £700 should get you a 980ti + budget 1080p monitor, or a 970 + 1440p monitor.

Personally I think I'd go with the 980ti first and spend any change on a 1080p monitor, then I can enjoy that power right now and possibly VR if you're looking forward to that. and then save up for a nice 1440p gsync monitor (possibly 21:9) which would blow your budget anyway you slice it.

Edit: check out liljoka's list on the previous page. Swap out the 970 for a 980ti (one of the non-reference if budget allows) and double check the PSU will be enough

Freaky

Neo Member
Budget: 1400 to 1700$
Main Use: Rate 4 Gaming, 3D modeling/rendering (3d max), Video Editing, game development engines.

General Usage (Web, Adobe Photoshop, autocad, 1080p playback, torrent).

Monitor Resolution: not required, going to use existing 1080P monitor.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
Should run Unity3d/unreal very good. should run new games very well, not necessarily on max settings for future games in 2016\2017.

Looking to reuse any parts?:
No parts to be reused.

When will you build?: before the end of September if possible.

Will you be overclocking?: No.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Budget: 1400 to 1700$
Main Use: Rate 4 Gaming, 3D modeling/rendering (3d max), Video Editing, game development engines.

General Usage (Web, Adobe Photoshop, autocad, 1080p playback, torrent).

Monitor Resolution: not required, going to use existing 1080P monitor.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:
Should run Unity3d/unreal very good. should run new games very well, not necessarily on max settings for future games in 2016\2017.

Looking to reuse any parts?:
No parts to be reused.

When will you build?: before the end of September if possible.

Will you be overclocking?: No.
Swing by in a month after new CPUs are out

Hi gaf I have just built a gaming pc and was wondering if you could help with a question I have around 4k gaming.

Below is the pc I built.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Rq9vGX

I currently only have a 1080p monitor so all games I have run 60fps+ on ultra quality. If I was to purchase a 4k monitor, what kind of performance could I expect from the 980ti? Im guessing not 60fps? If I wanted to hit 60fps at 4k would two 980ti''s be able to handle this?

Acinixys

Question:

I have a 460 that ive OCd hard to keep it relevant

I can play stuff like The Witcher 3 and Battlefield 4, but I can see the card struggling to keep up

Getting drops to 10 fps is not fun

Is it worth getting a new card now, or should I wait a few months for Nvidia to release their new cards?

All the games I want to play are only coming next year, so I can hold out for 6+ more months

I have
650W AOpen PSU
12GB Corshair XMS3
i5-2300 @2.8
Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H

I dont care about maxing anything or playing at 60+ FPS. I just want to be able to play games for the next 3 years and not have to worry about upgrading again. Can I get a new card and just stick it in, or will my CPU need to be replaced as well?

knitoe

Hi gaf I have just built a gaming pc and was wondering if you could help with a question I have around 4k gaming.

Below is the pc I built.
http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Rq9vGX

I currently only have a 1080p monitor so all games I have run 60fps+ on ultra quality. If I was to purchase a 4k monitor, what kind of performance could I expect from the 980ti? Im guessing not 60fps? If I wanted to hit 60fps at 4k would two 980ti''s be able to handle this?

With Witcher 3 Ultra settings @ 4K, a 980ti will give you ~30fps. You pretty much need SLI 980ti and lower some settings to get 60fps.

Question:

I have a 460 that ive OCd hard to keep it relevant

I can play stuff like The Witcher 3 and Battlefield 4, but I can see the card struggling to keep up

Getting drops to 10 fps is not fun

Is it worth getting a new card now, or should I wait a few months for Nvidia to release their new cards?

All the games I want to play are only coming next year, so I can hold out for 6+ more months

I have
650W AOpen PSU
12GB Corshair XMS3
i5-2300 @2.8
Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H

I dont care about maxing anything or playing at 60+ FPS. I just want to be able to play games for the next 3 years and not have to worry about upgrading again. Can I get a new card and just stick it in, or will my CPU need to be replaced as well?

Well, that CPU is not that bad but not that good either. It is about 10% slower than a 2500K at stock clock, which is still a very capable CPU in today games, but it cannot be overclocked and only have a boost clock up to 3.1 ghz.

With the release of DX12 and hopefully fast adoption of it by devs for new games, I can see it staying relevant a bit longer.

It will depend on your new GPU of course and what kind of performance you will be expecting but personally, I will upgrade everything as the mobo will need to change too in order for you to put in a newer gen cpu.

Guys, quick question , maybe someone can help: I'm repurposing an old Sony Vaio laptop, but I can't for the life of me access Bios (I want to change boot order).

I can change between hdd, floppy and cd from a utility once in the desktop, but there's no usb. How can I force it to the bios? Windows XP. xD

EDIT: nevermind, I don't know how but I got it xD

ricki42

I need some help... Last time I built a PC was in 2003! (I believe Radeon 9800 was my video card at the time)... I've been on macbooks ever since, but now i've got the itch!!!!

I'm in Vancouver... looking to spend around $1500CDN for the case and everything in it.

i'm sure I can improve basically everything! I probably won't pull the trigger on buying anything for a while until I actually get my head around the latest trends.

Questions-

Is it known if right now is a 'good time' to build or should I wait for the fall?

I want to future proof for VR. Would it be enough to buy a 2nd card for SLI in the future?

If you're not in a hurry, consider waiting a few weeks for the new Intel CPUs. Otherwise, that build looks fairly solid, maybe add a cooler (like Hyper 212 Evo) to allow for overclocking, and pick low-profile RAM to fit under the cooler.
If you are planning to go SLI, you'll need a higher-power PSU, but I don't think it's worth it. Better to sell the card for a new one once you actually start using VR and know what is needed.
Getting an i7 won't make much of a difference in gaming.
Since you're in Vancouver, check out NCIX. I think they have an outlet store in Richmond, not sure though, I've only been to their store on Broadway.

RGM79

Ok then:

Your Current Specs: Midrange laptop

Budget: $1000 USD

Main Use: Gaming, streaming, general use, movies.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Most games at 60fps and 1080p.

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? Would like to be able to build before the end of the year.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, but not for at least a year.

Alright then, given that you said your deadline is to build before the end of the year and that you want to overclock.. I would recommend waiting for Intel's new Skylake processors and Z170 motherboards. Nothing wrong with your parts list or building now, but if you're in no hurry, I would suggest waiting the 2 weeks to see what the new parts will be capable of and whether they're something you might want to buy into. Also, Skylake/Z170 will be a bit more future-looking than existing Haswell/Z97 parts and feature new tech and connectivity like DDR4, USB type C, USB 3.1, Thunderbolt 3, etc. Also, your existing parts list is pretty good (Xeon E3-1231V3 is equivalent to consumer i7 4XXX processor but for a lower price) but cannot be overclocked.

Questions-

1. If you're also not building/buying right away, I would recommend waiting for the same reasons as above.
  2. For VR the more power your PC has, the better. SLI can help.. but only if the games you play will support it. I don't mean to say that SLI has bad support, but that SLI support is not always a given. Generally around here we recommend a single stronger graphics card over two weaker ones, but SLI can offer greater performance for a given cost. I don't think it's as simple as just saying "get SLI", it'll depend on your setup, what games you play, how much you're willing to spend, etc.
  3. Given the current state of PC gaming, there are recent games that can use the extra processing threads that i7 processors offer but currently still i5 is better for the price to performance "sweet spot" when it comes to PC gaming. If you were doing other things like video editing or computational workloads then recommending an i7 would be easier.
  4. Fractal makes some very nice cases but if you also wanted other choices, Nanoxia and Cooler Master's Silenco line are also good options. But yeah, we tend to recommend Fractal cases quite often here.
Your current parts list isn't bad, but I think you could opt for a cheaper motherboard as well as cheaper and lower profile RAM for a more optimized build without sacrificing any performance.

What do you guys think of fan controllers?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811992012&cm_re=Nzxt_fan_controller-_-11-992-012-_-Product

Minus the CPU. That's should be controlled by the motherboard.

They're quite nice to have if you want easy manual control over your fans and/or hook up more fans than your motherboard currently supports. The cheap solution would be to use fan splitter cables (example), but if you don't mind paying for a fan controller, you can adjust speed and noise to your liking without needing to alt-tab out of games and applications or deal with bloated motherboard utilities.

With Witcher 3 Ultra settings @ 4K, a 980ti will give you ~30fps. You pretty much need SLI 980ti and lower some settings to get 60fps.

OK thanks for explaining this. If that's the case then is there any point going sli for 4k 60fps as you need to lower settings to achieve this? Wheras one 980ti can hit 30fps 4k on ultra. It sounds as if the gains from sli are not worth it for 4k?

Do you think it would be wiser to wait for new technology in a year or so than go for two 980tis? Just trying to find out how future proof having two 980tis would be.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Looking to buy a pc for the first turn in around a decade. I've been moving around a lot, so I couldn't really justify a desktop until now. Might be asking too much here I dunno.

Your Current Specs: A shitty laptop. Uses an intel corei7-3610QM that can barely run on powersaver mode without blowing itself up. HD4000 graphics because the actual 7970M card is molten slag.
Budget: £700ish, might be able to go a little higher. UK.
Main Use: Gaming 4, General Use 5, Emulation 3 (I'm not holding out much hope but maybe I can run some of my older Ps2 games? I dunno).
Monitor Resolution: Prefer 1080p. Will probably be looking at a new monitor though nothing too flashy? Have an ancient one that'll do for now.
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Would like to run FFXIV at 60fps. Also would like to be able to run the Witcher 3 at 30, even if it has to be at a fairly terrible resolution.
Looking to reuse any parts?: Only if a melted video card is good decoration. Maybe I could stick on top of the monitor like a horrible trophy.
When will you build?: Would like to start building next month some time.
Will you be overclocking?: No. God no.

A relatively small form factor for the case might be good if possible? Like just-about-fit-into-suitcase level? Not a dealbreaker if that's impossible.

Arkanius

Looking for a new Monitor.

27" IPS probably as IPS panels are what im used to.

My buddy has been recommending this:
https://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=113&cp_id=11307&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10489&seq=1&format=2

Is that good for gaming, basically my main use of my PC.

Thanks

How much are you willing to pay?
There is a king of the monitors right now, and its the best gaming monitor money can buy

Acer Predator XB270HU

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UPVXDA8/?tag=neogaf0e-20

anuraj

Neo Member
I am looking to upgrade my system. Budget is around £250

Current specs are:
i5 2500k
gtx 570
120gb SSD
8 GB ram

Thinking I should upgrade my GPU, but I'm not sure whether to get a r9 390 or a gtx 970

Two Words

Just bought parts for my new PC. I went with a 980 GTX Ti. The reviews and benchmarks seem good. Anybody here have one? How does it do for you with maxing out games?

ACE 1991

Thinking bout doing a clean install of 10 once it drops Wednesday. What's the best way to back up save files (on steam and my Witcher 3 save that I running through Gog Galaxy)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom